Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cheri Oteri

She wasn't invited to appear on SNL's "Women of Comedy" episode with Betty White because Lorne Michaels hates her and no one wanted her there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 10, 2010 6:20 PM

Lorne Michaels needs to...Simma Down Nah!

by Anonymousreply 1June 9, 2010 12:39 AM

Lorne Michaels has problems with women. He banned louise lasser and refused for years to allow the show she hosted to be released, but had no problem with guys like Andrew Dice Clay, Steven Segal, John Belushi and Chevy Chase who were major assholes.

Once he divorced Rosie schuster and she left the show, it became a boys club. Women were never equals, like they'd been in the first seasons. He only made Tina Fey the head writer because people had been noticing how male-dominated SNL was and commenting on it.

I mean seriously, on what planet does someone as assaholic as Colin Quinn become the head writer of a comedy show? Michaels fires a talent like Nora Dunn and makes Quinn a head writer? Get the fuck out of here.

by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2010 12:57 AM

Tracy Morgan essentially said that she and Chris Kattan were the biggest assholes.

by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2010 1:02 AM

He fired Nora Dunn? I knew they were having an affair during those years, but I didn't know he fired her.

by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2010 1:05 AM

Tracy should know since he was a majorly unfunny asshole on SNL. Hope he's saving his money.

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2010 2:16 AM

R2 has daddy issues. EVERYTHING is always due to women-hating men, isn't it R2 dear?

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2010 2:33 AM

R5, I find him incredibly unfunny, but he's still down to earth. He said that the two I mentioned were arrogant and thought they'd become huge stars. They were selfish.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2010 2:37 AM

Oteri was fucking hysterical. I LOVE the old lady pill popper character she did.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2010 2:39 AM

I can't believe that piece of shit show is still on the air.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2010 2:43 AM

Oteri ranks up there as one of the best of the SNL cast. I don't know how much I believe the "she's difficult" rumours; if Katherine Heigel can be foistered on us as a "movie star", surely Cheri Oteri deserves a sitcom. (Not the filler she does for AMC, as funny as it is.)

by Anonymousreply 10June 9, 2010 2:43 AM

Sad, because I think she's hilarious. She was great in the first "Scary Movie" the Wayans' brothers did but again, she was one of the few cast members who did not to return for the first, Wayans'-produced sequel.

by Anonymousreply 11June 9, 2010 2:44 AM

And imagine how she must feel - she invented those cheerleader characters and gave Will Ferrell his first big notice by putting him the sketch with her; now he's a big movie star and she's where? And has he once cast her in any of his films?

Ungrateful pig!

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2010 2:48 AM

"Foistered," R10? Really?

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2010 2:52 AM

Interesting that Lorne allowed a "Best of" DVD of her SNL work when other performers of that era still don't have one.

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2010 2:54 AM

Cheri should feel lucky to not have any of those shitty Will Ferrell movies on her resume. Yeah, I know they made him a ton of money but not one of them is actually funny.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2010 2:55 AM

R13, don't make coim over there and re-arrange ya foice.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2010 2:57 AM

r14, Will Farrell, Molly Shannon, Tracy Morgan and Chris Kattan all have Best Of DVDs.

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2010 2:59 AM

LEG UP!!!

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2010 3:04 AM

I know that, r17. I meant why, if Lorne hates her, did he release her DVD before Maya Rudolph, Darrell Hammond, Rachel Dratch?

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2010 3:06 AM

What's the deal with Kenneth in the 212?

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2010 3:10 AM

[quote] why, if Lorne hates her, did he release her DVD before Maya Rudolph, Darrell Hammond, Rachel Dratch?

Because Darryl Hammond, Maya Rudolph and Rachel Dratch are unfunny, physically repulsive people.

Hey! You throw that ball on my porch? That means it's mine. MINE!

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2010 3:20 AM

I bought the Best of with Cheri and I ALMOST forgot how hilarious she is. I forgot about the Althea skit too, died laughing... I was very bitter when she wasn't in the Mother's Day episode.

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2010 3:39 AM

R6- you smell like feces.

Michaels is a REPUBLICAN, asswipe. They're generally not known for being pro-woman. Try to keep up, shithead.

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2010 3:46 AM

People can be talented and hilarious AND difficult assholes.

They're not mutually exclusive characteristics.

"I don't believe Oteri is difficult because I find her hilarious" really isn't a great defense.

Not that I know one way or the other whether she's actually an insufferable bitch.

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2010 3:46 AM

Jay Mohr once said that Cheri was hated by Norm MacDonald. He would ignore her, talk over when she spoke, and say rude/disgusting things about her when she was standing in the room. It is basically the horrible things kindergartners do to each other, but Mohr emphasized that Norm would go out of his way to be cruel and Mohr and others would just laugh at her. He said this on the O&A show years ago.

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2010 3:56 AM

The backstage politics at SNL are actually very cut throat. You really have to fight hard to get your ideas heard much less approved for air. There's definitely a pecking order. Maybe Kattan & Oteri felt threatened when Tracy Morgan came in for whatever reason and that's why they shunned him.

But what r24 says about being hilarious and difficult is absolutely true. I remember reading an article years ago that said Jan Hooks and Nora Dunn fought like cats and dogs when they weren't ganging up on Victoria Jackson. I also knew a PA who worked on "Designing Women" when Hooks was on the show and he said she was a terror. And considering her limited post-SNL career I can imagine Nora Dunn burned a lot of bridges.

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2010 4:01 AM

I hated Oteri. She was a shrill bitch.

So many other funnier women have been on SNL - Gilda Radner, Ana Gasteyer, Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Molly Shannon, Jane Curtin et al. Oteri doesn't even come close to the other women who've been on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2010 4:03 AM

I stopped watching SNL when Cheri O Teri left.

I even followed her foray into the movies side of things. i.e. Liar Liar

And then she disappeared

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2010 4:08 AM

[quote] Michaels is a REPUBLICAN, asswipe.

Actually, his campaign contributions going all the way back to 1980 have been exclusively to Democrats, except for John McCain. And although he did donate to McCain in the primaries, he donated twice as much to Obama, and also donated to Act Blue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2010 4:10 AM

Ya know, it was when he added the "asswipe" that really proved he knew what he was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2010 4:16 AM

Cheri was always hilarious as Barbara Walters. She portrayed her as the name-dropping, self-important person that she is. "Just the other day, I was horseback riding with Saddam Hussein..."

Her commentary on the Best Of DVD is really interesting and funny, especially the parts when she talked about pitching the Simma Da Na sketch and when Judge Judy kept leaving messages on her answering machine. She also said that Mariah and Debbie Reynolds weren't fans of her impersonations of them.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2010 4:20 AM

Norm Macdonald has always seemed like a total piece of shit. Kind of like Dennis Miller.

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2010 4:21 AM

Norm is right up there with Jimmy Fallon in the NOT FUNNY category

by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2010 4:43 AM

There were a lot of funny SNL women, and I yes I love Cheri and have her "best of" dvd (well I downloaded it anyway) but it was really MadTV that had the greatest female cast from 2000-2005. Debra Wilson, Nicole Sullivan, Alex Borstein, Mo Collins, and Stephanie Weir were the strongest female cast ever on a late night skit show.

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2010 4:51 AM

Cheri was so funny on SNL. I miss her.

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2010 5:07 AM

Ok Robin Duke sucked, but what about us?

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2010 5:53 AM

"Norm Macdonald has always seemed like a total piece of shit"

Seemed? Is. I met him and loathe him. The guy is seriously fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 37June 9, 2010 6:01 AM

Loved ya to death r36, big SCTV devotee here, but there's only the two of you. MadTV had five great women all on the show at the same time. At least until Sullivan left in 2001, but then there was still 4. And no I'm not saying Sullivan equals Andrea or Catherine, she doesn't, maybe none of the MadTV women do. Still MadTV did have the numbers 2000-2005, unlike SNL at any time.

by Anonymousreply 38June 9, 2010 6:02 AM

SNL is only good when it has a roster of funny women. For the most part the men are slapstick lowest common denominator performers.

If you check your list of funniest sketches or characters of the past 20-25 years, I'd guess the majority of them involve female cast members.

I agree though, I think Michaels hates women.

by Anonymousreply 39June 9, 2010 12:33 PM

Cheri Oteri was hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 40June 9, 2010 12:52 PM

There was only one female in the main cast this past season, and I don't think it's a coincidence that said season sucked and sucked hard - or that one of the best episodes just happened to be when some past female cast members returned.

by Anonymousreply 41June 9, 2010 12:52 PM

(Roberta doesn't have any place to go for Tgiving, so her boss -Chris Parnell- brings her home with him)

Roberta (Cheri O.): I usually spend Thanksgiving with my father and my aunt, but they went and booked themselves on a carnival cruise. It's a large boat designed for those who like nonstop activities including shuffleboard and skeet. But I exempted myself from the aquatic fun because the Carnival Cruise Corporation doesn't allow pets aboard its vessels.

Mother (Ana G.): Oh, you have pets?

Sarah (Jen Aniston): Mom, mom, don't.

Roberta: I have... I have 8 cats. There's Langly, Dominic, Hi Ho, Nut Nut, Montell, Jesus--

Sarah: Uh, Daddy, could you um pass the turkey please?

Roberta: Othello, and the most finicky: Gilligan. He'll only eat Fancy Feast.. It's funny, 'cause he'll only eat Fancy Feast---

Sarah: Well this fancy feast is--

Roberta: From the commercial!

by Anonymousreply 42June 9, 2010 1:00 PM

Morning Latte was great. "I don't care for books."

by Anonymousreply 43June 9, 2010 1:17 PM

[quote]Lorne Michaels has problems with women. He banned louise lasser and refused for years to allow the show she hosted to be released, but had no problem with guys like Andrew Dice Clay, Steven Segal, John Belushi and Chevy Chase who were major assholes.

The show was not reaired on NBC but has reaired in syndication. Segal was banned from the show. Andrew Dice Clay had no issues with the cast during rehearsals. Belushi and Chase never pulled the stunts that Lasser did before the show.

Charles Grodon, Robert Blake, Milton Berle, and Frank Zappa were banned from the show.

[quote]He fired Nora Dunn?

More like the cast fired her. In the LIVE FROM NEW YORK book about SNL, the cast members were pissed that Dunn went to the press to tell them that she was refusing to appear on the Andrew Dice Clay episode, before discussing it with the cast or Lorne. They felt blindsided and with a few shows left in the season told Michaels that they didn't want to work with her anymore.

by Anonymousreply 44June 9, 2010 1:53 PM

Why is/was Charles Grodon banned. I like him.

Midnight Run is the most homoerotic movie of the 80s!

by Anonymousreply 45June 9, 2010 1:55 PM

"The show was not reaired on NBC but has reaired in syndication. Segal was banned from the show. Andrew Dice Clay had no issues with the cast during rehearsals. Belushi and Chase never pulled the stunts that Lasser did before the show.

Charles Grodon, Robert Blake, Milton Berle, and Frank Zappa were banned from the show. "

Details on these people? Why were they bannned?

by Anonymousreply 46June 9, 2010 2:25 PM

[quote]Details on these people? Why were they bannned?

See link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 9, 2010 2:31 PM

Lasser didn't "pull stunts" r44. From r47's link, it says:

"Louise Lasser, who hosted at the end of the first season on July 24, 1976, was the first host banned by the producers . Lasser was said to be going through personal problems at the time and was reportedly nearly incoherent throughout the broadcast."

So it wasn't a stunt, she was just a fruitcake who couldn't pull her act together for an appearance on national tv. No wonder her post-Mary Hartman career was such a flop, sounds like she has a mental instability issues.

by Anonymousreply 48June 9, 2010 3:56 PM

The Lasser show was pulled from syndication by Michaels, no matter what LIVE FROM NEW YORK says.

Also, LIVE FROM NY says that Ben Stiller refused to help Marci Klein out after 9/11 and appear on the show as a host a few weeks before his movie opened. He was living in NY just a few blocks from the studio and they needed a host and people were still afraid to fly. Stiller refused because his movie's premiere was pushed back and he didn't want to "waste" an a[ppearance so far iun advance of his movie. Klein was very pissed at him. Drew Barrymore instead flew in from California, even though she was frightened, and hosted the show.

Now if you do an internet search, you will find the claim that there was some kind of misunderstanding on Klein's part and that Stiller did not refuse to appear on the show. Stiller claims his movie's release was delayed for weeks because of 9/11 and that Marci Klein "assumed" he didn't want to appear as a host right after 9/11 because his movie's opening was pushed back, and she cancelled him.

So how accurate is LIVE FROM NEW YORK?

by Anonymousreply 49June 9, 2010 4:21 PM

If Norm McDonald dislikes someone, that is a sure sign you should like them. McDonald is an obnoxious neocon. Says Ronald Reagan was the best president America ever had and has publicly supported Dubya and McCain.

by Anonymousreply 50June 9, 2010 4:25 PM

This one shows what an asshole Michaels is:

"On December 17, 1977, Elvis Costello and the Attractions performed as a last-minute replacement for the Sex Pistols, who were unable to obtain passports. NBC and the show's producer Lorne Michaels didn't want the band to perform "Radio Radio", since the song protests the state of the media. The band defied them by beginning to play their song "Less Than Zero", stopping, with Costello telling the audience that there was no reason to do that song, and telling the band to play "Radio Radio" instead. It infuriated Michaels because it put the show off schedule, and the band were barred from performing again."

[quote] Michaels didn't want the band to perform "Radio Radio", since the song protests the state of the media.

Huh? A protest of the state of media was considered so radical it had to be censored? What a controlling asshole, with no respect for Costello's artistry. Michaels is the one who should've been banned after that stunt.

by Anonymousreply 51June 9, 2010 4:26 PM

I don't care if Cheri is an asshole. At least she was funny...Tracy Morgan is NEVER funny, I don't care what show he is on.

by Anonymousreply 52June 9, 2010 4:34 PM

And is it

Cheri as in cherry

or Cheri as in sherry?

by Anonymousreply 53June 9, 2010 4:46 PM

Is it her real name or did she just think it would be funny if she rhymed?

by Anonymousreply 54June 9, 2010 4:49 PM

[quote]Lasser was said to be going through personal problems at the time and was reportedly nearly incoherent throughout the broadcast."

It's available on-demand thru Netflix and I watched her into. She was some sort of coked-out spaz and the audience didn't know what to do. It's as bad people said it was.

by Anonymousreply 55June 9, 2010 4:54 PM

There's a reason why Mike Myers based "Dr. Evil" on Lorne Michaels. He's not shy about telling anyone and everyone about how cheap and money-obsessed Michaels is.

Michaels owns all of the shows characters and he gets a big cut of any movies (Wayne's World, etc.). Myers wanted to make a Dieter movie but it wasn't financially viable since all of the profits would go to Michaels. That's why Myers invented Austin Powers and the Love Guru--Michaels has no stake in those.

I would be very surprised to see Myers back at SNL.

by Anonymousreply 56June 9, 2010 5:01 PM

I don't know Lorne Michaels' net worth, but he must be worth many, many millions of dollars. He remains one of the most powerful men in show biz, let alone network TV.

by Anonymousreply 57June 9, 2010 5:06 PM

R23,

It WHAT delusional corner of your troubled mind is Lorne Michaels a Republican?

Are you fucking insane?

by Anonymousreply 58June 9, 2010 5:08 PM

It's Cheri as in sherry.

by Anonymousreply 59June 9, 2010 5:28 PM

[quote]So it wasn't a stunt, she was just a fruitcake who couldn't pull her act together for an appearance on national tv. No wonder her post-Mary Hartman career was such a flop, sounds like she has a mental instability issues.

Um yes she did pull stunts. Refusing to do certain sketches at the last minute after they had done full dress rehearsals then refusing to go on is pulling a stunt R48.

[quote]There's a reason why Mike Myers based "Dr. Evil" on Lorne Michaels. He's not shy about telling anyone and everyone about how cheap and money-obsessed Michaels is.

There was a Vanity Fair article that ripped Mike Myers to shreds years ago that it was Dana Carvey not Mike Myers that came up with Dr. Evil.

[quote]The Lasser show was pulled from syndication by Michaels, no matter what LIVE FROM NEW YORK says.

I saw the Lasser episode on E!

[quote]Also, LIVE FROM NY says that Ben Stiller refused to help Marci Klein out after 9/11 and appear on the show as a host a few weeks before his movie opened. He was living in NY just a few blocks from the studio and they needed a host and people were still afraid to fly. Stiller refused because his movie's premiere was pushed back and he didn't want to "waste" an a[ppearance so far iun advance of his movie. Klein was very pissed at him. Drew Barrymore instead flew in from California, even though she was frightened, and hosted the show.

Ben Stiller was supposed to host the show the week after Reese Witherspoon did and pulled out. Seann William Scott replaced him. The still story was taken out of Live From New York.

[quote]Now if you do an internet search, you will find the claim that there was some kind of misunderstanding on Klein's part and that Stiller did not refuse to appear on the show. Stiller claims his movie's release was delayed for weeks because of 9/11 and that Marci Klein "assumed" he didn't want to appear as a host right after 9/11 because his movie's opening was pushed back, and she cancelled him.

According to Marci Klein, Stiller's publicist called her and told her that Stiller was pulling out of hosting the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 9, 2010 5:33 PM

What's Cheri's orientation? I've never heard about her linked with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 61June 9, 2010 5:41 PM

Oteri said on Letterman, sometime around '96, that before she was on the show, she never pronounced her last name "OH-TERRY." Apparently Don Pardo said it that way and she liked it.

Although I don't think she ever said how, exactly, she pronounced it before. I'm assuming "oh-tuh-ree" or "ah-tuh-ree," maybe.

by Anonymousreply 62June 9, 2010 5:44 PM

"It infuriated Michaels because it put the show off schedule, and the band were barred from performing again."

Elvis Costello was actually back on SNL as a musical guest when Mary Tyler Moore hosted. IIRC, in her opening monologue, she said something like, "And also here tonight is Elvis Costello and his penis." Never quite remembered why she said that. I doubt MTM heard the rumors about Costello being well hung.

by Anonymousreply 63June 9, 2010 5:46 PM

r62, I've heard her pronounce her name before. It's O TEAR E.

by Anonymousreply 64June 9, 2010 5:50 PM

I love Cheri too and knowing what a viper pit SNL is behind the scenes I take a lot of this with a grain of salt. Tracy Morgan sucks BTW. I hate him, he makes 30 Rock hard to watch.

by Anonymousreply 65June 9, 2010 5:51 PM

by Anonymousreply 66June 9, 2010 10:01 PM

[quote] The still story was taken out of Live From New York.

Well, I still have it.

And E! did not exist when Michaels banned the Lasser show from syndication and reruns. It went into syndication circulation when the DVD was released.

by Anonymousreply 67June 9, 2010 10:08 PM

Can we talk about what a fucking SCUMBAG Chevy Chase was? If that Terry Sweeney story is true, the man is a real asshole.

by Anonymousreply 68June 9, 2010 10:09 PM

R63, the reference was made because in the previous Matthew Broderick-hosted episode, they did a stupid sketch where the goal was apparently to say the word "penis" as many times as possible. It was roundly trashed and MTM tried to throw it back at the audience by saying "Elvis Costello's penis is here".

by Anonymousreply 69June 9, 2010 10:20 PM

The evil head of the drug company in Kids in the Hall Brain Candy is also based on Lorne. I wonder how much money he stole from them?

by Anonymousreply 70June 9, 2010 10:26 PM

R34 is correct. Which one did the skit about the weird girl who wore the giant glove? OMG, so freaking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 71June 9, 2010 10:36 PM

R71, that was Stephanie Weir's character "Dot" on MadTV. Weir had (has) a tremendous stable of characters--I also loved her Dr. Kylie.

by Anonymousreply 72June 9, 2010 10:42 PM

SCTV ruled over SNL

by Anonymousreply 73June 9, 2010 10:43 PM

Did anyone catch Cheri's performance on Just Shoot Me? Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 74June 9, 2010 10:48 PM

I agree Catherine, SCTV was obscenely funny. Got me through high school, no matter how shitty and boring the week was, I always had Friday nights staying up to watch SCTV to look forward to.

I recently got their 1984 Cinemax season on bootleg dvd, and was surprised how good it was. Much of the cast had left but they all came back for guest appearances, and somehow the show was still nearly as good as it had been on NBC.

by Anonymousreply 75June 9, 2010 10:49 PM

Oteri Trivia.

Her father was stabbed to death by his longtime "associate".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 9, 2010 11:20 PM

r69 From my recollection, that Broderick hosted episode featured a nude beach skit where everyone commented on each other's penises. I read somewhere that in the dress rehearsal for that same episode there was a controversial penis song that was cut from the broadcast and rescheduled for another time but it never made it to air. I also recall Tom Hanks being involved for the rescheduled show. I have searched for that episode but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. I believe it was in 1988 or around that time.

by Anonymousreply 77June 10, 2010 2:21 AM

she's probably pissed because tracy morgan is successful, figuring "if that untalented hack can be successful, why can't i?"

by Anonymousreply 78June 10, 2010 2:30 AM

[quote]"if that untalented hack can be successful, why can't i?"

R78? I think that about Tracey Morgan all the time--and I'm not even in showbiz.

by Anonymousreply 79June 10, 2010 2:36 AM

What is she doing now? How does she support herself financially? I really liked her and was shocked her career never took off. She was way more talented than her other castmembers. I hate SNL though. In Living Color and MadTV were always so much funnier and the reruns are still funny and hold up to this day. SNL not so much. They just take one joke or idea and beat it to death. Lately it's Kristen Wiig saying something in a weird voice over and over. High comedy.

by Anonymousreply 80June 10, 2010 2:47 AM

Ben Stiller is just a massive piece of shit.

That's all.

ps I loved Oteri as Robin Byrd.

by Anonymousreply 81June 10, 2010 3:20 AM

People forget that Oteri was the *big* star of the new cast's first season. I always assumed she was the darling inside the show. Was surprised to read in the Live from NY book about how miserable she was the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 82June 10, 2010 5:14 PM

[quote]And E! did not exist when Michaels banned the Lasser show from syndication and reruns. It went into syndication circulation when the DVD was released.

Try some reading comprehension skills. E! had broadcast rights to SNL for a number of years. The Lasser show aired there. It didn't rerun on NBC but IT DID run in syndication.

[quote[Well, I still have it.

You might still "have it" but it wasn't included in the book.

by Anonymousreply 83June 10, 2010 6:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!