Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is it the gayest dinnerware? I collect the old stuff and buy the new stuff for everyday. It makes me happy. I hadn't seen these utensils though!

by Anonymousreply 10711/26/2013

It goes on sale A LOT, so hold off buying any until you have a coupon.

by Anonymousreply 106/03/2010

Does it matter anymore?

by Anonymousreply 206/03/2010

My hometown is very near one of the Fiestaware factories, so there is a factory outlet store.

Every year around Mother's Day, the local hospital has a "yard sale" to raise money, and local vendors sell factory rejects and whatnot at dirt cheap prices. The Fiestaware stuff is always there. I bought a gravy boat for 99 cents a few years ago.

You could probably get a whole set of it for under $30 or so.

by Anonymousreply 306/03/2010

West Virgina, Binky? Really?

by Anonymousreply 406/03/2010

I hail from the heart of the great state of Pennsyltucky.

by Anonymousreply 506/03/2010

I didn't realize that there was special gay dinnerware. But if there is, then Fiestaware may indeed be the most. Although I'm a straight woman & I like it too (I don't collect it, but maybe I would if I had the space & the money).

by Anonymousreply 606/03/2010

But, to answer your question, yes, it's the gayest dinnerware.

by Anonymousreply 706/03/2010

Binky, is your real first name Mark??????

by Anonymousreply 806/03/2010

by Anonymousreply 906/03/2010

r8 -

Nope, Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 1006/03/2010

I've eaten off vintage Fiesta Ware for about 30 years. I'm seriously concerned about lead poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 1106/03/2010

Don't like the new stuff. I stick to the bascic 1930s colors: Green, Ivory, Red, Cobalt, Turquoise and Yellow.

The '50s colors are rarer, but with the exception of Medium Green & Forest Green, they are putrid.

by Anonymousreply 1306/03/2010

Is anyone collecting this still?

by Anonymousreply 1411/02/2013

R11 is me and I'm still worried about lead poisoning. I read up on it and said if you weren't eating a lot acidic foods on it, it should be okay. One of our favorite dishes was white vinegar, onions, cucumber, salt and pepper. One of those would sit in the fridge all summer long. I'm probably fucked.

by Anonymousreply 1511/02/2013

R15, you can balance everything out by drinking out of aluminum tumblers.

by Anonymousreply 1611/02/2013

I like what I got for $15.00 at Walmart better. I got the mutlicolor(click on the yellow). If you flatware queens want to spend a whole lot more go ahead.

by Anonymousreply 1711/02/2013

Lead poisoning there may be, but what about that vintage ORANGE Fiestaware? I heard it's got uranium in it!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1811/02/2013

Fiestaware and Broadway musicals.

I don't care how much he may deny it or keep it a secret - every gay man loves them.

I don't have a single piece of Fiestaware in my home - but here I am posting in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1911/02/2013

LOVE Fiestaware! Broadway musicals--depends on the musical. That flatware, though, is a no for me. I don't care for it at all. I also love the red apple dishes, but I can't remember who makes them.

by Anonymousreply 2011/02/2013

I have a mix of Juniper, Turquoise, Chartreuse, and Cobalt Fiestaware. I love it. Here's some in Juniper:

by Anonymousreply 2111/02/2013

OP, get this mixer to go with them:

by Anonymousreply 2211/02/2013

You can keep your Walmart imitations. Fiesta ware is made in the USA. I don't know about the flatware, however.

by Anonymousreply 2311/02/2013

Are you talking about this KitchenAid, R22?

by Anonymousreply 2411/02/2013

Damn, thank you R24. I was trying to figure out what I did wrong.

LOVE that mixer.

by Anonymousreply 2511/02/2013

I bought Oneida's Palette bistro flatware in Turquoise to go with my Turquoise Fiesta back in the '90s. It's held up for the most part. I have most pieces, though the plastic handles cracked on a few. Naturally, they're not making it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2611/02/2013

Everyone has Fiestaware from the olden days. Riviera Ware is more interesting - and harder to find. Same festive colors.

by Anonymousreply 2711/02/2013

An aunt gave me some Royal Doulton 'Everyday' Georgia pieces (plates, mugs, etc.). I don't like the design and wonder where is the best place online to sell a matching set? I doubt it's worth much but I don't have space for it and no one else wants it.

by Anonymousreply 2811/02/2013

R28, eBay? Replacements, Ltd.? Here's the page for Replacements:

by Anonymousreply 3011/02/2013

I don't have any vintage Fiesta, R27. All of mine is contemporary/post-86. I like picking it out in a store on my own much more than buying online. And I live around 40 miles from the Fiesta Factory.

by Anonymousreply 3111/02/2013

I like Fiestaware but that flatware is hideous. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 3211/02/2013

Love you, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3311/02/2013

They have other flatware, R32. I have no idea how good it is.

by Anonymousreply 3411/02/2013

R28, I'd check out consignment stores in your area.

by Anonymousreply 3511/02/2013

I ended up giving away dinnerware this year. It's so expensive to ship, no one wants to buy it. I had stuff on eBay and Amazon for months. Nothing. Literally, at the price I could have sold it for, it made more sense just to give it away, so I did. A friend's daughter got married and needed everything to set up housekeeping. I was happy to be able to help.

by Anonymousreply 3611/02/2013

I bought Fiesta ware flatwear that was made in China. It is flimsy.

by Anonymousreply 3711/02/2013

[quote]Is it the gayest dinnerware?

If you mean "gay" as in festive, perhaps. If you mean homosexual, Russel Wright is the winner.

by Anonymousreply 3811/02/2013

R28 If it has hand-painted periwinkles I might be interested.

by Anonymousreply 3911/02/2013

Le Creuset dinnerware is the new Fiestaware.

by Anonymousreply 4011/02/2013

Excellent thread, OP.

As a gay teen in the early 80's, my first older gay freidn had some Fiestaware. It was so cool to me then and I never stopped liking it. The 70's revival of art deco was a fun time.

I have a few peices I have bought at antique stores but nothing grander than a bowl.

The husband and I finally replaced our ancient Ikea dishes with Fiestaware, I love it.

by Anonymousreply 4111/02/2013

Do you all live at a day care center?

by Anonymousreply 4211/02/2013

My mother inherited my grandmother's fiesta. There was a mountain of it in our rec room in the basement. We used it for big parties because there was so much of it a few broken pieces would not matter. It was dime store stuff during the depression. It has sure been a hit for Homer Laughlin when they started making it again.

My sister and I split the fiesta when my mother died. I got rid of all of it.

I prefer using my collection of depression era Bauer pottery ring ware. I also have quite a bit of Homer Laughlin Harlequin pattern as well as Luray made by Taylor Smith and Taylor.

Dishes have always been my thing and I can't begin to tell you how many sets and partial sets and double sets I have. HELP, I am a hoarder. Not to speak to all the mid century elegant American made table glass I have.

I just bought a small set of lovely Longchamps antique French country dinner ware. I forgot about the endless pieces of Blue Ridge pottery dishes. They Royal Copenhagen, many sets of Haviland. Lots of Franciscan Desert Rose that I bought at yard sales and thrift stores a few pieces at a time. I recently bought a dozen desert rose Irish coffee mugs for $10.. They are rare and list for $120.00 each on replacements.

by Anonymousreply 4311/02/2013

R3 when I lived in Wilkes-Barre I would make the yearly pilgrimage to the Holly Ross outlet to purchase my Fiestaware for the year. Many years and many colors later, I appreciate that they are not that expensive and don't cry for me Argentina when they break. Or every so often when the cats decide that a piece should not be on the kitchen island, and swoop! There goes that salt shaker crasing to the floor!! Off tithe factory outlet to replace it.

by Anonymousreply 4411/02/2013

Fiestaware is a product of Melamine plastic and formaldehyde. The formaldehyde leaches from the plastic into your food and into your tummy.

You wonder where your autistic kids are coming from??

by Anonymousreply 4511/02/2013

Fiestaware is Melmac's poor cousin. It is that shit they used to serve food on in the highschool hot lunch line.

by Anonymousreply 4611/02/2013

I love mine. Have had it for years and I still love how the tablelooks with all the colors mixed at place sittings.

by Anonymousreply 4711/02/2013

I really don't understand the pricing on this stuff. At Macy's and Kohl's, they show the regular price for a 5- or 4-piece place setting as $51, then make a big deal out of it being "on sale" for $30. But even the Fiesta online store has it for $29 all the time, as does Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 4811/02/2013

Are you people insane? Fiestaware? Did you learn nothing with the Replacement China thread two months ago?

Fiestaware looks like something you won from throwing darts at some concession at Coney Island. The plates are only good for flinging off the rooftops of a 5 story building as toy flying saucers.

I'm ashamed of all of you and I am grieving deeply.

by Anonymousreply 4911/02/2013

r43, I can assure you that you are not alone in your obsession with dinnerware! Lots of us out there! It is harmless and FUN! Besides, we will NEVER be without enough dishes when it is time to entertain.

Now, I'm collecting lusterware from the 1920s and 1930s. I don't know why! I should stick to the stuff I can and will actually use.

by Anonymousreply 5111/03/2013

123 pieces of Luray my Mom saved for me for years. We use it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 5211/03/2013

I like Russell Wright my mom had a few pieces. They are very artist and good color

by Anonymousreply 5311/03/2013

We have all Fiestaware dinnerware, and it took us days to pick two colors to combine we both loved and that looked good together. Why would you go to the trouble of picking attractive colors and screw it up with that flatware or those silly (and cheap-looking IMO) Fiesta glasses with every other color on them? Would you buy an expensive couch and toss rainbow-colored nylon throw pillows on it?

by Anonymousreply 5411/03/2013

Which two colors did you pick, Ernesto?

by Anonymousreply 5511/03/2013

Thanks for the advice.

by Anonymousreply 5611/04/2013

R20. You're thinking of the Franciscan Ware "Apple" pattern originally made by the Gladding McBean Co. in Glendale, is the second most popular dinnerware pattern ever produced in America.

Franciscan Ware "Desert Rose" holds the #1 position.

I think ANY of Franciscan's embossed dinnerware patterns could give Fiesta a good run in terms of "gayest" dishware.

by Anonymousreply 5711/04/2013

Franciscanware "October".

I will be featuring this pattern on my 2013 Thanksgiving table.

by Anonymousreply 5811/04/2013

Franciscan "Desert Rose"...the most popular dinnerware pattern in American history.

by Anonymousreply 5911/04/2013

Franciscan Ware "Ivy"...featured prominently in "I Love Lucy" and "The Donna Reed Show"

by Anonymousreply 6011/04/2013

Yes! Thank you, R57. I love that shit! And Fiestaware.

by Anonymousreply 6111/04/2013

There is nothing gay about any of the Franciscan pottery. Please, if you want to use that definition of "gay" dinnerware, Royal Albert English Rose is probably the "Gayest". But I don't know a gay man who would own it without embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 6211/04/2013

"Poppy" by Franciscan Ware.

by Anonymousreply 6311/04/2013

Franciscan Ware's "Forget-Me-Not" pattern from the 1970s still featuring the classic, hand painted, embossed look.

by Anonymousreply 6411/04/2013

wow all that Franciscan Ware is gorgeous! I think I'm in love with Desert Rose and October now...

by Anonymousreply 6511/04/2013

"Wildflower" from 1945...the most elaborate,rarest and most expensive of the Franciscan embossed patterns.

by Anonymousreply 6611/04/2013

And the Forget Me Not pattern is charming too

by Anonymousreply 6711/04/2013

I recently bought a stack of heavy Franciscan Apple serving bowls, 7 in all at the Goodwill for 10 bucks the lot.It's the only apple I have. I also have many Watt Pottery serving pieces in Apple.

[R62] Are you sure the RA rose pattern is as gay as Royal Albert's Blossom Time? I am helping a friend clean out a shed and dispose of things in storage. Her grandmother's Blossom Time was in there. It even disgusted me, the china nut.

by Anonymousreply 6811/04/2013

The neoclassical,timeless elegance of Franciscan's "Coronado".

I must have over 500 pieces of this pattern.

by Anonymousreply 6911/04/2013

That other Franciscan Ware is too frou frou for me. The Desert Rose and Apple are wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 7011/04/2013

You don't see the Forget Me Not pattern very often. I like it.

I also have numerous Tiffin Glass items in a chunky patter, various colors. It was always my understanding that Tiffin made this line as companion piece with the Franciscan patterns.

by Anonymousreply 7111/04/2013

I can't stand any of that grandma shit you're posting now. Give me classic, colorful fiestaware.

by Anonymousreply 7211/04/2013

Food looks its best when presented on plain white china. I assume anyone who would eat off a garish green or blue plate was born and bred in one of those landlocked square states of America.

by Anonymousreply 7311/04/2013

speaking of Grandma shit [R72] My grandmother's fiesta was what my family had. Grandma was born in 1882, a true Victorian woman.

by Anonymousreply 7411/04/2013

I love all this Fiesta Ware and Francsican's so colorful,optimistic and American!

by Anonymousreply 7511/04/2013

R68, Actually, "Blossom Time" is far more tasteful than "English Rose". I would only use "Blossom Time" as a dessert/tea/luncheon service, if at all. However, it has a certain old-fashioned charm. It is a throwback to the time when certain food functions were supposed to be "dainty". "English Rose" is just garish with it#s heavily applied gold and heavy Victorian reds.

R73, actually, if you look at the cooking shows, they use green plates most often.

by Anonymousreply 7611/04/2013

For those of you who feel Fiesta Ware has become too ubiquitous but still love the colorful vintage look of 1930s dishware might I suggest Bauer Pottery?

I also believe they are now reproducing some of the original shapes and colors.

by Anonymousreply 7711/04/2013

The "new" Bauer Pottery co.

by Anonymousreply 7811/04/2013

I just recently purchased a set of the "Carolyn" pattern from the Homer Laughlin has a substantial,weighty feel and nice thick glaze. It reminds me of something one would have seen in a 1930s-40s diner.

Give me vintage looks any day...I hate the look of trendy,sterile,modern looking dishes.

by Anonymousreply 7911/04/2013

[R79] Restaurant ware, I used to collect that also, not the plan stuff though.

by Anonymousreply 8011/04/2013

I have "new" (actually, 35-year-old) Fiesta in pastels for everyday. My vintage stuff is Luray, Harlequin, Riviera, and Moderntone glass--also in pastels--all very cheap when I found it years ago in thrift stores. I had bakelite flatware in multiple colors but it is now retired and I use Martha Stewart's so-called French ivory for everyday. I would get rid of all the dinnerware for a set of jadeite.

by Anonymousreply 8111/04/2013

What a lovely set of postings and photos since yesterday. I don't care for flowers on things (dinnerware, clothing, furniture--you name it), but I'm happy to know I'm not the only DQ on DL.

While [bold]some[/bold] food may look better on [bold]some[/bold] white plates, I have always liked different solid color plates.

I started out with Metlox Colorstax (Rose, Fern, Sky Blue, Forest Green), inherited an incomplete set of Russel Wright American Modern (Steubenville Gray), recently bought and gave away a set of Tiago Blue by Thomas O'Brien (non-Target).

I now use the Fern Colorstax with the Turquoise, Juniper, Cobalt, and other blues and greens from Fiesta's Contemporary line. A lot of what I make is Italian, and there are often red sauces. Looks great on Turquoise, or any green, really. And most of the rest of what I serve is green, which looks great on any shade of blue.

I even had a set of white dishes. I gave them away. Borrrrrring.

Have you all seen this book? You can get a new copy for $3.95 + shipping on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 8211/04/2013

I wonder what Janet Jackson would think of Fiestaware. It comes in so many colors and she's a woman of color from a family of many colors, too.

by Anonymousreply 8311/04/2013

I like the fact that is made in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 8411/04/2013

I do not understand the fascination and obsession with Fiestaware. ESPECIALLY among gay men.

It's fucking ugly.

I wouldn't own a piece if you fucking PAID me to take it.

by Anonymousreply 8511/04/2013

This thread can be described in a single word...

by Anonymousreply 8611/04/2013

[R85] You failed to share with us what appeals to you? What are your favorite paper plates to use? Plastic buffet trays perhaps. Please tell us so we know how to improve our personal tastes. Help us grow and be like you, so sophisticated don'tchaknow.

by Anonymousreply 8711/04/2013

R87, that you had to sink to personal insults like that so immediately says all that needs to be said. According to you, if someone doesn't like Fiestaware, then they must be paper-plate using cretins? Really?

Sorry, but I find Fiestaware to be just plain ugly. Like "Soviet Buildings"... big, clunky, over-bearing, boring muddy colors, bleh. And its obsessive fans are just tedious.

by Anonymousreply 8811/04/2013

Why are you obsessed with a thread about something you claim to dislike?

by Anonymousreply 8911/04/2013

I'm not obsessed with the thread. Two posts (three including this one) is not an obsession.

I am curious why gay people, people allegedly of taste, are so obsessed with it... I can see this being the dinnerware of an elderly mid-west Wisconsin frau maybe ... but come on. Why on earth would any self-respecting gay man care about this crap?

by Anonymousreply 9011/04/2013

R90, you might want to acquaint yourself with the concept of personal taste. I'm sure whatever prissy place setting you nibble celery sticks and tic tacs of off is not to the liking of another gay person somewhere.

Why do you need everyone to be just like you? And you still haven't answered why you post on threads for the purpose of shitting all over them if you're not obsessed on some level.

by Anonymousreply 9111/04/2013

R90, I do not own a single piece of Fiestaware, but I understand the appeal. It is bright and colorful in a very simple and graphic way. Not everyone adores "Gay Grey".

I do find it interesting that you seem to dislike Fiestaware for its color and soviet building for their lack thereof.

by Anonymousreply 9211/04/2013

R90, what dishes do you use?

by Anonymousreply 9311/04/2013

Post 1980 Fiestaware is not worth more than $5.00 a piece or less...

by Anonymousreply 9411/04/2013

[R90] Why have you reduced yourself to personal insults. My dear mother is a Wisconsin home maker.

You have yet to share with us what dinner ware you use or find tasteful.

by Anonymousreply 9511/04/2013

Colorful? Dull, uninspired colors... muddy and blah.

Seriously, why the fuck would anyone care about this crap?

by Anonymousreply 9611/04/2013

R95, pretty much anything else. Anything not so damned clichéd and boring and trite.

"Gee, another gay guy with a Fiestaware fetish. Yawn."

by Anonymousreply 9711/04/2013

I'm a woman who posted in this thread. The current serving pieces from discontinued colors go for far more than $5 but that's not why I bought them. It's a look that appealed to me and the luray and other dishes were cheap to acquire. The idea of multicolored dishes has been knocked off by just about everybody so it may not seem quite so special anymore but why be mean about it? If you think it's ugly, why post in this thread? There's pointless bitchery and there's utterly pointless bitchery and this is the latter.

by Anonymousreply 9811/04/2013

[R97] You are now up to 5 posts without telling us what dishes you have. You seem to have an obsession after all. Are they melmac? Do you still live at home and eat of your Ninja Turtles plate?

by Anonymousreply 9911/04/2013

I have about 24 different colors of Fiesta place settings and some serving pieces in different colors that I use for everyday. They are very sturdy and heavy, so heavy I split the colors up to fall and spring use so I don't break the kitchen cabinets.

I have some Eva Zeisel Classic Century that I use for company/parties. Link below. I love it's simplicity and slightly odd shapes.

Hopefully I'll get my parents china some day. I don't know the maker but it's white with green rims, trimmed in silver with pagodas in the center. I'm sure my dad got it overseas in the fifties and I doubt it was expensive but it is very pretty and unusual.

by Anonymousreply 10011/04/2013

Won't someone please...SHIT IN MY MOUTH!!!???!!!???

by Anonymousreply 10111/04/2013

I like the new color, Lapis. I braised some butternut squash (w/onions, sage, dried cranberries, and a little chicken stock) and it looked so good on the Lapis plate.

Some Fiesta blues (add chartreuse or lemongrass, and it's quite nice-looking):

by Anonymousreply 10211/11/2013

r100, can you post a pic of the vintage pagoda plates?

by Anonymousreply 10311/11/2013

Bette Midler used Fiestaware in her failed sitcom. It was the most interesting part of the show.

by Anonymousreply 10411/11/2013

Marshall Crenshaw had painted Harlequinware on the cover of his album.

by Anonymousreply 10511/11/2013

I still love my Cuisinart bistro ware. It was made in Poland of wonderful quality. The late great Service Merchandise once had 4 place servings for $30. I sure with I'd bought more than two boxes.

by Anonymousreply 10611/11/2013

[quote]I like Russell Wright my mom had a few pieces. They are very artist and good color

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 10711/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!