Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Soapdish on Netflix streaming

I love the Celeste Talbot Program.

I know I'm a terrible soap fan, but I have to admit, the scene where Sally and Whoopi got to the mall in Short Hills and Whoopi pretends to recognize her and results in a flock of woman crowding around Sally asking for autographs as a way to cheer her up, it totally works for me.

I think we've found out waiter.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2902/12/2013

Rob Reiner is directing a remake of SoapDish.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 105/31/2010

That's a shame. In the current situation, there's no way a show about soaps would fly in today's markets.

Plus, damn it, it's just so damned hard not to like Sally Field

by The Voice of the Nightreply 205/31/2010

Freaking hilarious.

"On the machine, Rose. On the machine.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 305/31/2010

Just added it to my instant queue (maybe I'll even watch tonight). Thanks, OP

Carrie Fisher is hilarious in her small role. She worked on the script, too, right?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 405/31/2010

"HE HAS NO HEAD!!!!"

by The Voice of the Nightreply 505/31/2010

"I never said I was the best mother in the world. Give me a little credit, will you? For trying to love you the only way I knew how..."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 605/31/2010

Hands say so much about a person.

I've got America's sweetheart climbing down my drainpipe.

What I feel like is GLORIA FUCKING SWANSON!

That's depressing and expensive, two words I hate. You know the words I like? Peppy and cheap.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 705/31/2010

Wonderful wonderful movie. Perfectly cast. Kevin Klein was fabulous. Even Whoopi was great. One of my favorite escapist movies.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 805/31/2010

I heard they're remaking this. Good luck with that, they'll never find someone to top Kevin Klein's performance, and he basically carried the movie. Is there a new Kevin Klein, just as handsome and charming? If not, the remake is doomed. The script itself could be improved on, it was the performances that carried it. And even then, it's really only ok.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 905/31/2010

They really shouldn't remake "Soapdish" because while the original was flawed, it was damn near perfect.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1005/31/2010

It's going to be a take off on a Spanish Soap. Ala the ones Ugly Betty's dad watches. I find Spanish Soaps are already farcical enough.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1105/31/2010

"Her brain will latterly explore?"

"You know what that means. That means he DOESN'T HAVE A HEAD!?! How am I supposed to write for a guy WHO DOESN'T HAVE A HEAD!?!"

Celeste Talbot is clearly based more than a little on Susan Lucci, but I can't imagine the real Lucci being that charmingly neurotic.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1205/31/2010

Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Dr. Randall, what a surprise! Are you having lunch here?

Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] I will if it's that sample. Huh... I wish it was that simple.

Edmund Edwards: [offstage] This guy never heard of contact lenses?

Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] The test results have come back.

Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] And?

Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] And I'm afraid the results are very disturbing. It seems that Angelique has a rare case of brake fluid...

[pause]

Jeffrey Anderson: Bran... fluid. Bran flavor.

Burton White: What the hell?

David Barnes: [offstage] Brain fever!

Edmund Edwards: [offstage, loudly] Say it!

Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Brain fever!

Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Yes. Brain fever. Or what we call in Austria...

[they both goggle at the word]

Jeffrey Anderson: Kopfgeschlagen. At the current rate of inflation, her brain will laterally explore the...

Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Literally explode?

Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Exactly, within the next three houses.

Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Hours?

Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Yes, will literally explode within next three hours. I would suggest leaving the restraint.

Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Restaurant?

Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Restaurant, yes.

Celeste Talbert: [as Maggie] Her brain will actually explode?

Jeffrey Anderson: [as Dr. Randall] Yes, yes, I've, um, seen it happen. It's a dreadful, dreadful thug. Thing.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1305/31/2010

I love Cathy Moriarty in this movie. Her scenes with Robert Downey Jr are so funny, especially when he keeps trying to cop a feel when she is dictating something to him.

"You? You're asking me to leave?"

"I'm asking you to leave!"

(Sucks in breath:) "I'm a professional. I do things professionally!"

"She's a deranged bitch!"

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1405/31/2010

[quote]Carrie Fisher is hilarious in her small role. She worked on the script, too, right?

She's not credited as a writer, but I'm not sure she would be,

Sally is basically Susan Lucci, not that I think Lucci was ever that personable.

In addition to the large roles. Stephen "Patch" Nicholas" and Finola "Anna" Hughes have cameos as thenselves.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1506/01/2010

[quote]they'll never find someone to top Kevin Klein's performance, and he basically carried the movie. The script itself could be improved on, it was the performances that carried it. And even then, it's really only ok.

So Ebert, who carried it? Kevin or the other actors? And the picture is more than OK, it' s a laugh out loud comedy. Something very rare theses days.

[quote]She's not credited as a writer, but I'm not sure she would be

Shhhhh it's a secret. She's a script doctor. She's brought in to punch up the script, gets lots of money and no credit.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1606/01/2010

Fort Lee, David....that's the heartland.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1706/01/2010

I am Dr. Franz Blau of the Sex Change Clinic in Bethesda, Maryland. After extensive investigation, I've come to the conclusion that it's virtually impossible for you to have impregnated your nurse, Montana Moorehead. Because before she came to our little clinic, she was ... [italic]Milton Moorehead of Syosset, Long Island.[/italic] HELLO!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1806/01/2010

[quote]Shhhhh it's a secret. She's a script doctor. She's brought in to punch up the script, gets lots of money and no credit.

It was no secret when she came in and saved Sister Act.

Joss Whedon got a big credit (and an Oscar nomination) for his contributions to Toy Story.

Whether Carrie did or didn't, it's a great script and she should be very proud of it

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1906/01/2010

Sally Field, Kevin Kline and Cathy Moriarty should have all been nominated but once again The Academy ignored comedic performances. And Klein should have been nominated for "In & Out". It's still a mystery how he managed to to win for a comedy role.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2006/01/2010

In a similar vein, all four seasons of Soap are no available to stream. That's a little before my time, but when we would watch together when she show aired on Comedy Central in the mid-90s, my Dad told me it was not uncommon to see a car with a "Free Jessica Tate" bumper sticker.

For my money, the show's high point was when they did their take-off of the Exorcist. Not just because it was daffy, stupid Jessica who finally drove the demon away, but more for Benson's volunteering to help Jessica drive it out:

"My mother always said, you've got to face the Devil head on. You can't wrestle him to the ground if you don't have a hold on him around the neck"--Demon bellows--"My mother was a babblin' fool was what she was. Everybody knew it..."

I know Robert Guilliame got a spin-off, but even that never quite have him due. SportsNight, maybe, if he hadn't gotten so sick.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2106/02/2010

[quote]the scene where Sally and Whoopi got to the mall in Short Hills and Whoopi pretends to recognize her and results in a flock of woman crowding around Sally asking for autographs as a way to cheer her up, it totally works for me.

That was the Paramus Mall.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2206/05/2010

My knowledge of New Jersey is pretty much limited to Newark Airport, one terrifying trip down the Jersey Turnpike and what I've gleaned from various and sundry clips of Jersey Shore from The Soup. My bad.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2306/05/2010

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2402/11/2013

"Is there a new Kevin Klein, just as handsome and charming? If not, the remake is doomed."

Okay, for that role you need a man old enough to have a grown child. Sexy, funny, slightly cheesy, and able to play a terrible actor...

How about Alec Baldwin?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2502/12/2013

On of the best 90s movies!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2602/12/2013

If a remake is done, Jennifer Aniston could do the Sally Field part. I'm not a big fan, but I could see her in the part of a bad soap opera actress.

Hell will freeze over first, however, before Jennifer Aniston will admit that she is old enough to play the mother of an adult child.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2702/12/2013

If they areally are doing a remake, where could Jennifer Coolidge fit in?

No all-star farce is complete without her!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2802/12/2013

Carrie Fisher or Kathy Najimy's roles would work, R28.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2902/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.