Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What were some of your favorite mini-series movies made for TV?

The Stand

Rich Man, Poor Man

by Anonymousreply 19811/25/2012

Lonesome Dove

by Anonymousreply 105/31/2010

North and South.

Bare Essence.

by Anonymousreply 205/31/2010

I'll always remember Nick Nolte's character in Rich Man Poor Man coming upon his son after Wesley had damaged his father's boat while trying to impress some girls.

The kid was scared to death he was going to get a whooping. Tom flashed to his dad (Ed Asner) smacking him around.

You saw Tom choose a different path, telling his son it was okay and that he'd show him how to handle the boat. They walked off, Tom's around his son.

It showed me that no matter how fucked up your childhood is you can still make another choice.

The past does not have to repeat.

by Anonymousreply 305/31/2010

Captains and Kings

by Anonymousreply 405/31/2010

FRESNO - Carol Burnett, Charles Grodin, Teri Garr (God, I wish they'd release this on DVD!)

LACE I and LACE II - Luv when Lily refers to herself in the 3rd person

NORTH & SOUTH - Books I and II were great, III sucked by Kyle Chandler was good to look at

V - Still the best

THE HOLOCAUST - Streep, what more this there to say

A WOMAN NAMED JACKIE - Roma Downey as Jackie O.

The absolute worst has to be WILD PALMS (aka Oliver Stone's rip-off of Twin Peaks).

by Anonymousreply 505/31/2010

"Centennial" - Lynne Redgrave was fantastic.

"The Winds of War"

"War and Remembrance"

by Anonymousreply 605/31/2010

Damned I can't think of even one. Oh does "Brideshead Revisited" count? I liked that.

I remember David Letterman doing a parody called "Winds of Remberances" stretched out over several evenings. I liked it too.

by Anonymousreply 805/31/2010

by Anonymousreply 905/31/2010

Poor Little Rich Girl

Winds of War

War and Remembrance

Little Gloria, Happy at Last

by Anonymousreply 1005/31/2010

The Thorn Birds was the greatest of them all.

by Anonymousreply 1105/31/2010

A Woman Scorned: The Betty Broderick Story.

(Oh shut up, this movie is like a trainwreck, they made Betty look so deranged in it so you think everything that happened was all her fault).

by Anonymousreply 1305/31/2010

Callie & Son

I would watch Lindsay Wagner sit and read the phonebook.

by Anonymousreply 1405/31/2010

"The Girl Most Likely To ..." was a mini-series? I must have missed a bunch of episodes, if it was a mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 1505/31/2010

Callie & Son wasn't a mini-series movie.

by Anonymousreply 1605/31/2010

What are we, chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 1705/31/2010

by Anonymousreply 1805/31/2010

When we had a month of prime time, we had people with enough intelligence to know the difference between a regular made-for-tv movie and a movie made for a mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 1905/31/2010

R17--It was meant for regular TV, not pay TV. I guess I could've made that clearer. But you are right--"Angels in America" was brilliant. As was "Band of Brothers" and "Pacific."

"IT" was better when the focus was on the kids--when they became adults--it just turned to shIT.

I forgot about "North and South." That was a really good series, too.

by Anonymousreply 2005/31/2010

[quote]The absolute worst has to be WILD PALMS (aka Oliver Stone's rip-off of Twin Peaks).

I loved Wild Palms. Own it on DVD even.

Angels in America is artistically more satisfying in every way, but Wild Palms was fun on for a 9th grader.

by Anonymousreply 2105/31/2010

R15, if you're referring to my post, I did not call "Girl Most Likely To" a mini-series. I clearly referred to it as a made-for-TV movie, which is what it was.

Ironically, I did a bit of misreading of my own: I only glanced at OP's headline and thought he was asking for both favorite miniseries AND made-for-TV movies, not just the former.

by Anonymousreply 2205/31/2010

"Lace" is my all time favorite. I also liked "Rose Red."

by Anonymousreply 2305/31/2010

Another vote for CELEBRITY. I also enjoyed the Dominick Dunne novel to miniseries transfers, THE TWO MRS. GRENVILLES, A SEASON IN PURGATORY, AN INCONVENIENT WOMAN and to a lesser degree, PEOPLE LIKE US.

by Anonymousreply 2405/31/2010

Why don't they make TV movies or miniseries anymore ?

by Anonymousreply 2505/31/2010

"East of Eden" (Loved Jane Seymour as Cathy)

"The Winds of War" (ironically, I liked Ali MacGraw better as Natalie than Jane Seymour replacing her in "War and Remembrance")

"Roots" --if only for Leslie Uggams as Kizzy and Ben Vereen as Chicken George. Throw in Ed Asner as a slave-ship captain and Sandy Duncan as the spoiled child of a slaveowner...that's some amazing TV there.

by Anonymousreply 2605/31/2010

I don't believe ROOTS would ever get made today...we have gone backwards in many respects.

by Anonymousreply 2705/31/2010

Well, nobody specified AMERICAN TV, so clearly these qualify: I, Claudius A Town Like Alice To Serve Them All My Days Portrait of a Marriage The Six Wives of Henry VIII The Bretts The House of Elliott Cold Feet The Vicar of Dibley

and yes, Brideshead Revisited. These are all miniseries, were all on film and were all made for TV.

by Anonymousreply 2805/31/2010

R25, I'm not sure about made-for-TV movies but from what I've heard/read, (a) thanks to all the choices offered by cable and the Internet, the networks no longer feel there's an audience for the big, sprawling, multi-night miniseries like there used to be and therefore have no desire to spend the massive amounts of money it would take to produce one; and (b) they are unwilling to preempt popular regular programming now like they were back then (i.e., NBC would've never even considered knocking "Friends" off for a week just to get a lesser rating for an installment of some long, drawn-out miniseries).

Anyway, this is what I've read but someone in the TV business could probably explain it better.

by Anonymousreply 2905/31/2010

I actually though ABC's version of The Shining was far superior to Kubrick's Don't get me wrong, I think the Kubrick version is a delightful scary move, but King's original has a lot less supernatural claptrack and instead gets its drama from the story of a very tight-knit family with a terrible secret focusing on how cabin fever destroyed them

by Anonymousreply 3005/31/2010

There's one miniseries from years ago that I never saw on video or dvd: Backstairs at the White House. It was the white House story from the point of view of the servants. It wasn't cinema for the ages but it was enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 3105/31/2010

The Senate hearings on "Richard Nixon and Watergate!"

Lord, them were the days.

by Anonymousreply 3205/31/2010

"Backstairs at the White House" (1979) with Olivia Cole, Leslie Uggams, Louis Gossett Jr. Behind the scenes at the White House during eight administrations, as told by the people who worked there.

by Anonymousreply 3305/31/2010

I'd like to see "A Town Like Alice" again.

by Anonymousreply 3405/31/2010

"Victoria & Albert"

by Anonymousreply 3505/31/2010

The Thorn Birds - all the girls in my senior class thought Richard Chamberlain was hot..I thought he was ok but got more excited when Rachel Ward was on screen..LOL

by Anonymousreply 3605/31/2010

[quote]The Senate hearings on "Richard Nixon and Watergate!"

It wasn't so popular at the time. Soap opera fans complained loud and long about their shows being pre-empted.

by Anonymousreply 3705/31/2010

"they are unwilling to preempt popular regular programming now like they were back then"

You can't be serious. First, they no longer have long seasons of TV series. They've been reduced to half-seasons but they pretend they're giving you a full season. Futher, the half-season is 1/4 re-runs. They preempt for ballgames, Olympics, holiday programs, fund-raising for earthquakes, fund-raising for tsunamis, fund-raising for hurricanes, and whatever else they can think of that will extend their "season".

by Anonymousreply 3805/31/2010

SHOGAN. A totally perfect production, Sadly not available on dvd or any other format.

by Anonymousreply 3905/31/2010

R38, as I said in my post, I'm not sure, I'm mostly just repeating what I've often read in other forums on this subject. Robert Bianco, the TV critic for USA Today, has often addressed this question in his weekly Monday chats and my answer is largely based on what he has often said (or at least what I remember of it).

by Anonymousreply 4005/31/2010

I really liked Backstairs at the White House too.

Eleanor and Franklin

V (the original and the sequel, V: The Final Battle)

Salem's Lot (the 1979 one, the longer version, not the chopped-up video version)

The Langoliers (guilty pleasure, but I still loved it despite its outrageous CGI monsters)

by Anonymousreply 4105/31/2010

The original "V" miniseries from 1983 is my all-time favorite. It still holds up beautifully all these years later.

by Anonymousreply 4205/31/2010

I'm glad you mentioned "Eleanor and Franklin" R41. I've always wanted to see that so I just put in an order.

by Anonymousreply 4305/31/2010

"Love in a Cold Climate" (the older one)

by Anonymousreply 4405/31/2010

The Singing Detectives

Lipstick on Your Collar

House of Cards

Riget (The Kingdom)

Heimat (German series)

by Anonymousreply 4505/31/2010

Detectives = Detective

by Anonymousreply 4605/31/2010

TRILOGY OF TERROR (original with Karen Black)

by Anonymousreply 4705/31/2010

R47, those were tv movies, not mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 4805/31/2010

British series Ben and Rose.

It might not be considered a mini-series, but it ran for only one British season (6 episodes).

Whenever I see the controversy of bisexuality on Datalounge I think of Ben and Rose.

What makes one bisexual? I wouldn't consider Ben to be bisexual. He is gay, but likes having sex with one woman, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 4905/31/2010

Lonesome Dove

by Anonymousreply 5005/31/2010

Lonesome Dove

Momma's Family

Brideshead Revisted

by Anonymousreply 5105/31/2010

THE AWAKENING LAND in which Elizabeth Montgomery gave another stunning Emmy-nominated, life-spanning performance as a frontier woman. The only comparable work was by Cicely Tyson in the JANE PITTMAN tv movie.

by Anonymousreply 5205/31/2010

Thorn Birds was riveting. I still enjoy seeing it. And loved the theme.

Next to that I'd say Winds of War.

Both had high production values for a tv mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 5305/31/2010

The original V from 1983

Lace I

North & South Books 1 & 2

R47, those were only made for tv movies, but when that doll lost the chain from around it's waist, I was scared shitless as a kid. "Little man, little man where are you?" Ugh. That thing still doesn't look right.

by Anonymousreply 5405/31/2010

Winds Of War And Remembrance

Wild Palms

(Wild Palms is forgotten now, but I will never forget Angie Dickenson gouging the guys eyes out with her thumbs)

by Anonymousreply 5505/31/2010

Falconetti was hot -

by Anonymousreply 5605/31/2010

Rich Man, Poor Man

Brideshead Revisited

War and Remembrance

by Anonymousreply 5706/01/2010

A few more that are from the UK--

Upstairs, Downstairs.

The Grand.

Duchess of Duke Street.

Berkley Square.

I, Claudius.

by Anonymousreply 5806/01/2010

R49- I watched Ben and Rose a few months back. I rented it from Netflix. I liked it so much I had to buy a copy. Big Alan Davies fan from the days he was on Jonathan Creek.

by Anonymousreply 5906/01/2010

Remember when Lesley Ann Warren ( Rodgers and Hammerstein's 1964 version of Cinderella) was the queen of the miniseries? Well.. maybe not the "Queen" but she was in a few. And she always cried so beautifully!

by Anonymousreply 6006/01/2010

by Anonymousreply 6106/01/2010

I remember all the excitement when "Rich Man, Poor Man" was running...everyone planned their night around being in front of the TV and not missing a minute.

Same with "The Thornbirds" and "Captains And The Kings".

by Anonymousreply 6206/01/2010

I wonder if this makes me sound old, but I really miss event tv programming like the annual big miniseries and the movies of the week.

by Anonymousreply 6306/01/2010

Elizabeth R

Upstairs Downstairs

The Six Wives of Henry VIII

by Anonymousreply 6406/01/2010

Thanks for mentioning "Eleanor and Franklin!" Jane Alexander and Edward Hermann WERE Eleanor and Franklin. Well made, well acted, just magnificent! Absolutely superb story-telling!piece of acting. I got the DVD for my mother. It is still just lovely.

In addition:

North and South (Kristie Allie was a pretty remarkable actor!)

Rich Man Poor Man (Best of the best!)

Thorn Birds

Upstairs Downstairs

I, Claudius

Roots (The final scenes, when James Earl Jones "finds" the "Old African" actually made me cry!)

No one's mentioned the Sinatra biopic with some unknown actor playing Frank! Olympia Dukakis played his mother, Kitty. Excellent. Marcia Gay Harden played Ava Gardner...very campy.

by Anonymousreply 6506/01/2010

Philip Casnoff played F. Sinatra.

by Anonymousreply 6606/01/2010

The Day After

Betty Broderick Story

Malice in Wonderland

A Bunny's Tale

Friendly Fire

Anybody remember "Amerika"? It was a twelve part miniseries about the takeover of the states by the Russians.

by Anonymousreply 6706/01/2010

I loved the 1997 12 Angry Men, where Ving Rhames graciously gave his award to Jack Lemmon.

I don't know if this a miniseries or not, by a few years go Albert Finny and Vanessa Redgrave gave magnificent performances as Winston and Clementine Churchill is an adaptation of the great Man's memoirs of the same name. As history goes, The Second World War is somewhat useless, but as a peek inside the Great Man's mind, it's fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 6806/01/2010

[quote]Anybody remember "Amerika"? It was a twelve part miniseries about the takeover of the states by the Russians

It was a right-wing response to The Day After.

I also recall its parody on SNL called "Amerida"

by Anonymousreply 6906/01/2010

"The Vicar of Dibley"??? That was a sitcom that aired from 1994-2007, a new run of episodes churned out every time Dawn French needed a new p[air of shoes.

And "The House of Eliott" was just a serial, written to order as each season was renewed, no more a mini-series than "Upstairs, Downstairs."

There's argument about what exactly makes for a mini-series (see link), but at the least it's a narrative, usually from a literary source, intended to be played out in a fixed number of episodes.

I'd add "Our Friends in the North" and "The Crow Road."

by Anonymousreply 7006/01/2010

I saw that, R68! I loved Vanessa as Clementine. Albert Finney did a very credible job as Winston. Wasn't it called The Gathering Storm? HBO?

by Anonymousreply 7106/01/2010

Beverly hills madame!!!

by Anonymousreply 7206/01/2010

From Australia, "Brides of Christ." Starred Oscar winner Brenda Fricker and Josephine Byrnes.

by Anonymousreply 7306/01/2010

Does anyone remember "The Day After"? It was a show about what would happen after a nuclear bomb explodes. I was a kid and it scared the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 7406/01/2010

Was "The Day After" a mini-series? If so, I missed a lot of episodes.

by Anonymousreply 7506/01/2010

I just looked up "The Day After". Its running time is 127 minutes. Did this mini-series run in fifteen minute segments?

by Anonymousreply 7606/01/2010

"Wheels" starring the wonderful Lee Remick

Glad someone mentioned "Backstairs at the White House"

by Anonymousreply 7706/01/2010

Wasn't the day after a two part series? It scared the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 7806/01/2010

I thought it was a 2 day event, but I was a little kid, so I'm not sure.

by Anonymousreply 7906/01/2010

[quote]I saw that, [R68]! I loved Vanessa as Clementine. Albert Finney did a very credible job as Winston. Wasn't it called The Gathering Storm? HBO?

You are very correct. In addition to Finny (who was quite frankly born to play Sir Winston) and Vanessa as Clemmie, there are a number of named British actors playing supporting roles.

Tom Wilkinson play Sir Robbert Vansittart, who was Chamberlain's right-hand man and Undersecretary for State,

Derek Jacobi was Stanley Baldwin, the Prime Minister who preceded Chamberlain.

Linus Roache was Ralph Wigram, a functionary in the Foreign Office who sneaked intelligence to Churchill, which sadly evenutally drove him to suicide.

Jim Broadbent played Desmont Morton, who, like Wigram, passed intelligence about German rearmament to Churchill. which earned him an knighthood at the end of the war.

There was a sequel a few years ago that HBO did called "Into the Storm" that wasn't nearly as good.

Churchill had some lines that by Finney's delivery alone help you understand immediately why the Allies one:

[Addressing his staff at his country home, Chartwell, he assure them that Mrs. Churchill will make sure they're found good jobs elsewher}:

Now that I'm in charge of the Navy, Mr. Hitler and his Nazi thugs had better watch out, for we'll teach them a lesson they'll never forget!"

[Later, upon his arrival at the Admiralty (eg, Department of the Navy in American Parlance) Churchill: I'm the new first Lord.

MP: We know, sir.

Churchill: How do you know?

MP: A signal was sent to the fleet.

Churchill: What signal?

MP: Winston is back.

Churchill: And so he bloody well is!

Makes me wish William Manchester's chosen successor would get cracking on the final volume of "The Last Line"

by Anonymousreply 8006/01/2010

THe Day After was pretty good, but honestly, there was another movie around the same time, a British film called Threads, I think, that was based on the same thermonuclear war thing, and it was truly terrifying!

by Anonymousreply 8106/01/2010

Anton Myrer's "The Last Convertible" was pretty good with a nice looking cast.

From the late '70s as I recall.

by Anonymousreply 8206/01/2010

My favorite mini-series was "The Last Convertible" with Bruce Boxleitner, Perry King and Sharon Gless, among others. The book by Anton Myrer that it was based on is really good, too. The mini-series follows it pretty closely.

Sadly, it's not available on dvd and I haven't seen it since it first aired in the early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 8306/01/2010

R82, I was typing as you posted...

by Anonymousreply 8406/01/2010

My favorites:

Rich Man, Poor Man

The Winds of War

The Thorn Birds

Kane & Abel (the great opening theme at link)

The Last Days of Pompeii

Peter the Great

Lonesome Dove

by Anonymousreply 8506/01/2010

Another vote for The Stand.

I also loved The Lost Room, a SciFi Channel miniseries starring Peter Krause.

by Anonymousreply 8606/01/2010

"Lace" (I WISH it was on DVD already...)

"The Thorn Birds"

by Anonymousreply 8706/01/2010

Some cable chanel should exist that only plays former mini-series. I think it would do well.

by Anonymousreply 8806/01/2010

The Corner- made for HBO

by Anonymousreply 8906/01/2010

"The Girl Most Likely To...", "Adam", "A Bunny's Tale", "A Woman Scorned: The Betty Broderick Story"...they were NOT miniseries! They were tv movies! There was a second Betty Broderick tv movie because of the high ratings the first one got, but it wasn't a miniseries.

Here are some mini-series I liked:

Jesus of Nazareth

by Anonymousreply 9006/01/2010

Another vote for LACE ("Which one of you bitches is my mother?").

[quote]Does anyone remember "The Day After"? It was a show about what would happen after a nuclear bomb explodes. I was a kid and it scared the shit out of me.

Did not watch THE DAY AFTER then and have no intention of ever doing so for this very reason.

by Anonymousreply 9106/01/2010

r2 I was 15 when Bare Essence was on and I thought it was so racy. Don't think many other people remember that one.

by Anonymousreply 9206/01/2010

Another one I loved:

Mistral's Daughter

By the way, I always went along with TV Guide in classifying a mini-series as that which had 3 or more episodes, whereas something with 2 episodes was just a long TV movie; after all, GWTW, Giant, Superman, even Airport '77 were stretched over 2 nights when they first showed up on TV.

by Anonymousreply 9306/01/2010

True, R93, and your post made me wonder what was the last major miniseries shown on network television? The only thing that's coming to my mind is STEPHEN KING'S IT, but anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (because I'm sure I am).

by Anonymousreply 9406/01/2010

I loved the Dominick Dunne miniseries. Sad that he isn't around to write anymore.

by Anonymousreply 9506/01/2010

r12 I remember that movie. I loved that crap too!

by Anonymousreply 9606/01/2010

Thought of another one.

Mach when USA used to show TV movies instead of L&O repeats they aired "Psycho IV" which apart from Hitchcock's original is one of the most frightening movies I've ever seen. The MaGuffin is that a radio host, played by CCH Pounder is hosting a call-in show about serial killers, during which Normal details in extraordinary detail the abuse suffered at the hands of his mother, played with delicious sadism by Olivia Hussey. The cuts back the Pounder in the present day, not entirely convinced that Normal is lying for attention,and the movie ends with Normal picking up a knife, although it's left vague as to whether or not he's going to kill his wife and daughter or just help the daughter celebrate her birthday.

Pounder, Hussey, and Perkins give great performances, but it's really young Henry "ET" Cavil that steals the show.

by Anonymousreply 9706/01/2010

From British TV I liked Danger UXB and The Norman Conquests.

Of American TV miniseries my favorites were Roots, Fresno and Centennial.

by Anonymousreply 9806/01/2010

you can watch Amerika here...

by Anonymousreply 9906/01/2010

I loved The Last Days of Pompeii, Duncan Regehr was so sexy.

The Langoliers was a hoot.

Holocaust was amazing and The Thorn Birds is timeless.

by Anonymousreply 10006/01/2010

R94, The Stand came out 4 years after IT. I remember it being an even bigger "must watch". ABC did the several King books as mini series throughout the 90s. Rose Red, in 2002, was the last one I can remember.

The Day After plays as hilariously bad today.

by Anonymousreply 10106/01/2010

I thought Deperation was the last King TV mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 10206/01/2010

Threads was a much better nuclear war hysteria miniseries.

Not a miniseries but in the same vein "Testament" was a pretty good movie dealing with nuclear fallout.

by Anonymousreply 10306/01/2010

Is it possible no one has said Band of Brothers yet?

by Anonymousreply 10406/01/2010

I remember, but didn't get into the popular TV miniseries adaptation of [bold]From Here to Eternity[/bold] that starred:

Natalie Wood

William Devane t Steve Railsback t Kim Basinger

Peter Boyle t Andy Griffith.

There was also an enjoyable two part remake of [bold]Little Women[/bold] that I did watch from the same time period ('78-'79) with:

Susan Dey

Meredith Baxter Birney

Eve Plumb

Ann Dusenberry

Dorothy McGuire

William Schallert

Greer Garson

Robert Young

William Shatner t

by Anonymousreply 10506/01/2010

Railsback as Manson scared the living shit out of me!

"Charlie's Jesus Christ."

by Anonymousreply 10606/01/2010

[quote]"Roots" --if only for Leslie Uggams as Kizzy and Ben Vereen as Chicken George. Throw in Ed Asner as a slave-ship captain and Sandy Duncan as the spoiled child of a slaveowner...that's some amazing TV there.

You read my mind. I hadn't seen "Roots" since it was first on as a child and we all gathered in front of the TV. it was an event. I watched it again last year. I was convinced it wouldn't hold up and be something cheesy from the 70's. Boy, was I wrong. It was still amazing. I totally agree Ed Asner was fantastic. After his part, I went to IMBD to see if he was Emmy nominated and found out he actually won the Emmy. I was luckily enough to meet him and talk to him about it too. Vereen and Uggams were standouts among a great cast and was literally shocked by how evil Sandy Duncan was and what came out of her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 10706/01/2010

You bitches, I was the queen of the Made for TV movie.

Sarah T. Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic

Dawn: Portrait of a Teenage Runaway Alexander: the Other Side of Dawn, starring Leigh McCloskey as a male prostitute

and so on.

by Anonymousreply 10806/01/2010

My favorite TV miniseries is Schindler's List.

by Anonymousreply 10906/02/2010

[quote]Dawn: Portrait of a Teenage Runaway Alexander: the Other Side of Dawn, starring Leigh McCloskey as a male prostitute

Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 11006/02/2010

I got a boxed set of Roots and the Next Generation and a third film, along with a commemorative book for just $10 at Big Lots. One of these days I'm going to dig in and watch it all. Probably in the winter. I remember Leslie spitting in Sandy Duncan's water and that's almost IT! I was a youngin' when it aired.

by Anonymousreply 11106/02/2010

The Bangkok Hilton, starring a young Nicole Kidman.

by Anonymousreply 11206/02/2010

I remember a very good version of East of Eden being a TV mini-series. I think it starred Tim Hutton, but it was much truer to the original Steinbeck novel than the James Dean adaptation.

I love James Dean, but the TV version was a better telling of the story.

by Anonymousreply 11306/02/2010

There are SO MANY miniseries that never see the light of day and they were so much fun, whether great or not. All those stars!!

Here are some more obscure ones. Look 'em up!:

Condominium - about a highrise threatened by waves and poor construction. Barbara Eden, Dan Haggerty, Ana Alicia!

(Arthur Hailey's) Wheels - about the auto industry. Rock Hudson, Lee Remick, Blair Brown.

The French-Atlantic Affair - fanatical religious terrorists overtake a cruise ship. Chad Everett, Michelle Phillips, Telly Savalas, Stella Stevens.

Malibu - rich and famous people. James Coburn, Susan Dey, Chad Everett, Kim Novak, George Hamilton, Eva Marie Saint.

The Moneychangers - about banking. Kirk Douglas, Christopher Plummer, Joan Collins, Anne Baxter, Helen Hayes.

Aspen - a rape and murder trial. Sam Elliott, Perry King, Michelle Phillips.

Beulah Land - GWTW lite. Lesley Ann Warren, Michael Sarrazin, Don Johnson, Meredith Baxter.

That one, along with Centennial, Captains and the Kings and The Rhineman Exchange are on DVD. It's so awesome to watch them on DVD uninterrupted. ITA that a channel of old miniseries and MFTV movies would be the living end. But TV Land won't even show one or two!! Only total crap. Why are there 185 channels and no one showing these great programs?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 11406/02/2010

Lace "Which one of you bitches is my mother'

by Anonymousreply 11506/02/2010

"It's so awesome to watch them on DVD uninterrupted."

You're probably right. I just got "Centennial" but haven't begun watching yet. IIRC, when it was shown, there was a break of several months between televising two of the segments.

by Anonymousreply 11606/02/2010

by Anonymousreply 11706/02/2010

"Captains and the Kings"

"The Thorn Birds"

"North and South"

by Anonymousreply 11806/02/2010

I thought Leslie Uggams was ridiculous as Kizzy. When she first appears in Roots she's supposed to be around 16 years old...and she looked at least thirty!

Sandy Duncan was totally miscast. She was simply not plausible as a selfish, spoiled antebellum girl.

The character of "Missy Anne" was embellished to make her seem more awful than she actually was. In the book, she and Kizzy are best friends growing up; she even teaches Kizzy to read. But when she gets old enough to seek the attention of "young massas" she changes. She has a big party and Kizzy is one of the attending servants, which she expected. But she didn't expect to be completely ignored; Anne treats her former childhood playmate as if she were never anything more than an underling and Kizzy is heartbroken. Anne, in effect, has grown up and with her maturity comes the realization that white people do NOT have black friends. But in the book there is no scene where Anne watches from a window and makes a nasty comment as Kizzy is torn away, screaming, from her family and sold off. And there is no scene in the book where Kizzy comes in contact with the ancient Missy Anne, (who doesn't remember her at all) and takes revenge on her by spitting in the cup of water she offers to the feeble old woman.

by Anonymousreply 11906/02/2010

Roots had more than a few Star Trek connections. In the Christmas movie Roots: The Gift additionally to LeVar Burton as Kunta Kinte, in the various and sundry sequels, Tim "Tuvok" Russ played a household slave, Avery Brooks played a freedman from the North who helps slaves escape across the undergroun railroad, and Kate Mulgrew played a real woman named Hattie Caraway, who in addition to being a fugitive slave hunter, was also the first woman ever elected to the United States Senate.

Despite her backwards views on slavery, Senator Caraway was a very ardent suffragette.

by Anonymousreply 12006/02/2010

I like The Stand, and I really, really liked ABC adaptation of The Shining, but as good as The Stand is, it doesn't hold a candle to the book.

King has been collaborating with openly-gay comic writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa on a multipart adaptation of The Stand in comics form, and, for my money, it's about 100X more faithful to the book than the miniseries did. They're released in five-part miniseries, Captain Trips (about the spreading of the plague), American Nightmares (the survivors are faced with a second round of deaths, suicide and murder, which is much more terrible than the plague), Soul Survivors (the survivors head toward Nebraska or Las Vegas, depending on their dispositions), and the newest, which started this week, Hardcases, the first issue which involves Trashcan Man's cross-country trip with the psychotic Kid.

by Anonymousreply 12106/02/2010

"Sybill" OWNS this thread!

by Anonymousreply 12206/02/2010

[quote]I thought Leslie Uggams was ridiculous as Kizzy. When she first appears in Roots she's supposed to be around 16 years old...and she looked at least thirty!

Well I, The Golden Globes and Emmy committee don't agree.

by Anonymousreply 12306/02/2010

Forgot about The Last Convertible. I watched that when I was 13 and fell in love with the male leads, especially Bruce Boxleitner who I have never cared for in anything else.

Also the Portrait of a Hooker ones, especially the one with Leigh McCloskey, he was so dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 12406/02/2010

They used to be SO LONG..... QBVII, which might have been the very first one, with Ben Gazzara as a man trying to pin down Anthony Hopkins for Nazi war crimes. Lee Remick was in that one, too.

by Anonymousreply 12506/02/2010

I enjoyed V a great deal. The new V is a pale pale CGI shadow of it.

Anyone remember "Celebrity"? That was a miniseries starring Joseph or Timothy Bottoms back in the 80's. I've been trying to get my hands on it to watch it again.

It's a shame that most of these titles are held up from DVD release due to music restrictions.

by Anonymousreply 12606/02/2010

Don't forget "Queen" where Halle Berry tries to pass for white. Another Alex Haley story.

by Anonymousreply 12706/02/2010

Celebrity? Was that based upon a book by Thomas Thompson?

Great book with a key gay angle, as I recall.

Had no idea there was mini-series based on it, if so.

by Anonymousreply 12806/02/2010

Roots was and is amazing. It ran with a parental advisory for the first few nights so my parents wouldn't let me watch, but I sneaked peaks. By the third episode or so, I was allowed and completely engrossed. For my ninth birthday, I asked for the novel. My grandmother was baffled, but my mother shrugged and said, "It's the only thing he wanted."

A few years later they ran it in the late afternoon on a channel in a nearby town. We had to fiddle with the antenna to get anything resembling a signal, but it was completely worth it.

by Anonymousreply 12906/02/2010

It sure was, R128.

by Anonymousreply 13006/02/2010

Oh I'm forgetting:

Hollywood Wives

by Anonymousreply 13106/02/2010

After reading about "The Gathering Storm" at r80, I bought a used DVD at Amazon. Many thanks for telling about that film in this thread. I watched it this afternoon and it's truly wonderful.

When Clementine came home from her voyage to see the dragons, the tears were streaming down my face. Albert Finney, Vanessa Redgrave, and Linus Roache were marvelous.

by Anonymousreply 13206/19/2010

Richard Loncraine, director of "The Gathering Storm" delights in telling how Sir Winston’s surviving child, Lady Mary Soames, visited the set and met Albert Finney, and Loncraine asked her how she felt about seeing an actor representing her father: "Darling," she replied. "I’ve seen all the imitators."

Then, to show her Finney in character, Loncraine had her view some footage.

"I went back to the screening room," he recalls, "just as they were finishing showing her 15 minutes of reels. As the lights went up, I saw tears in her eyes. She looked at me and said, ‘It’s my Papa, my Papa’."

by Anonymousreply 13306/19/2010

[quote]Thanks for mentioning "Eleanor and Franklin!" Jane Alexander and Edward Hermann WERE Eleanor and Franklin. Well made, well acted, just magnificent! Absolutely superb story-telling!piece of acting. I got the DVD for my mother. It is still just lovely.

I just watched the first episode. What shock to see Mackenzie Phillips as the teenage Eleanor Roosevelt. I didn't even know she could act. She was amazing in that role. I never saw her in anything but "One Day at a Time." The director of Eleanor and Franklin really knew how to work with her.

by Anonymousreply 13406/20/2010

Maybe she wasn't strung out on drugs at that time. (Surely she was cast for her teeth, in any case?)

by Anonymousreply 13506/23/2010

I Claudius

North and South

Salem's Lot

by Anonymousreply 13606/25/2010

Mackenzie was really good playing a lesbian in "Love Child".

by Anonymousreply 13706/26/2010

[quote]You bitches, I was the queen of the Made for TV movie.

How nice for you, Miss Linda Blair, but again, we are talking about mini-series, not movies.

by Anonymousreply 13806/26/2010

[quote]After reading about "The Gathering Storm" at [R80], I bought a used DVD at Amazon. Many thanks for telling about that film in this thread. I watched it this afternoon and it's truly wonderful.

I'm glad you liked it. There are plenty of things about Churchill that I dislike (namely, his abject racism about India), but I find the dichotomy of his absolute certainty about his actions in public and then the crippling depression he struggled with in private (as well as the fact that he seemed utterly lost without Clemmie) to be absolutely fascinating, and truth to tell, I actually find his bull-headed determination in the face of ridicule to be admirable.

Finney never attends award shows, but anyone with a brain would have known he was going to win an Emmy that year.

by Anonymousreply 13906/26/2010

I knew Churchill painted for relaxation but it was amazing to learn that he loved brick-laying for relaxation, too. I wonder how many brick walls were added around the the garden and fields during his time at Chartwell.

by Anonymousreply 14006/26/2010

The Adams Chronicles and The Six Wives of Henry VIII, both produced by PBS, were my favorites.%0D %0D Well written and well acted.

by Anonymousreply 14106/28/2010

[quote]I knew Churchill painted for relaxation but it was amazing to learn that he loved brick-laying for relaxation, too. I wonder how many brick walls were added around the the garden and fields during his time at Chartwell.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to you; cats look down on you; pigs treat you as an equal."

Baroness Soames, who inherited her father's gift for words has written several biographies about her parents, and she plans to write her own memoirs. If you can find it, she also published some correspondence between her parents, and if you couldn't tell from the movie, however pig-headed he was in so many of his dealings, he loved Clemmie like crazy.

by Anonymousreply 14206/28/2010

Wasn't there another Civil War mini-series that tried to capitalize on the North and South popularity? As I recall it came out between North and South Parts I and II.

by Anonymousreply 14306/28/2010

Are you thinking of The Blue and The Gray, R143. It can't compete with the pure soapy goodness of N&S.

by Anonymousreply 14406/28/2010

Prime Suspect

Captains and the Kings

Masterpiece Theatre's Wives and Daughters and Cousin Bette and, to a lesser extent, The Way We Live Now

by Anonymousreply 14506/28/2010

As long as people are mentioning PBS series:

"The Six Wives of Henry VIII" "Elizabeth R" "Upstairs, Downstairs" "I, Claudius" "The Forsyte Saga"-the remake "Anna Karenina" 1977 "Poldark" "Brideshead Revisited"

by Anonymousreply 14606/28/2010

Maybe "The Blue and the Gray" R143.

by Anonymousreply 14706/29/2010

...and The Blue and the Gray is not very campy like North & South. It's dull at times and hasn't got the same amount of name stars...

by Anonymousreply 14807/01/2010

[quote]"Backstairs at the White House" (1979) with Olivia Cole, Leslie Uggams, Louis Gossett Jr. Behind the scenes at the White House during eight administrations, as told by the people who worked there.%0D %0D I especially enjoy when Uggams sings a rousing version of "Hucka the bejeepers" to entertain Lady Bird Johnson's card party.

by Anonymousreply 14907/01/2010

Another vote for Alex Hailey's Queen. And a vote for Queenie, starring Mia Sara in a fioctionalized story about Merle Oberon.%0D %0D Noble House was no Shogun, but it entertained.%0D %0D And I can't believe no one has mentioned Goliath Awaits--I loved it! A great follow-up to all those disaster movies like The Poseidon Adventure--the ship sinks, but the passengers don't die--they exist for a couple of decades at the bottom of the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 15007/01/2010

One more I forgot--The Bastard. First historical saga I ever watched.

by Anonymousreply 15107/01/2010

Some of those classic old BBC miniseries should be remade with better production values. I've loved watching "Elizabeth R" and "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" on Netflix, but the sets, costumes and overall (videotape?) look of the productions seem dated and cheap. Keep the well-written content, give us better visuals? Just my opinion.

"I, CLAVDIVS" doesn't suffer as much--largely because of the amazing cast--but this material deserves a new interpretation, too.

by Anonymousreply 15207/01/2010

There's an immediacy to those taped programs, though, that can be electrifying. (Certainly a lot of people were very stirred by Derek Jacobi and Sian Phillips.)

by Anonymousreply 15307/02/2010

"Dress Gray' had Alec Baldwin at his yummiest.

by Anonymousreply 15407/02/2010

I reread CELEBRITY and watched the miniseries which a friend burned on DVD from a commercial VHS release. The miniseries was a really good representation of the novel.

by Anonymousreply 15507/02/2010

North and South was amazing, and I LOVED Lonesome Dove. Robert Duvall was the perfect choice to play Gus McCrae. I rank both series equally good.

by Anonymousreply 15612/30/2011

Lace, It, and and I Know My Name Is Steven.

by Anonymousreply 15712/30/2011

I just watched @ six hours of Aspen, which should have been good with Sam Elliott and Perry King as the leads, but it really wasn't...

by Anonymousreply 15812/30/2011

Another vote for CELEBRITY. It is really great. I recently watched it on DVD and read the novel. A real page turner. How beautuful was Joseph Bottoms in that miniseries?

by Anonymousreply 15912/30/2011

Upstairs, Downstairs (the original)

Forsyte Saga- the remake with Damian Lewis

Duchess of Duke Street

Winds of War all 100 hours of it!

Bleak House with Gillian Anderson, Carey Mulligan.

Berkeley Square

Downton Abbey

by Anonymousreply 16012/30/2011

[quote]"I, CLAVDIVS" doesn't suffer as much--largely because of the amazing cast--but this material deserves a new interpretation, too

I think a remake is in the works from HBO.

by Anonymousreply 16112/30/2011

If it has more than one season, it's not a mini-series.

Jus sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 16212/30/2011

[quote] just watched @ six hours of Aspen, which should have been good with Sam Elliott and Perry King as the leads, but it really wasn't...

LOL a friend just loaned me his copy. Guess I will watch it over the next few days. I know nothing about it, didn't watch it when it was on TV. Assuming Perry King takes off his shirt or runs around in a speedo, maybe I'll enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 16312/30/2011

Barry Bostwick channeling Brad Majors as a very homoerotic George Washington.

They made us watch "Nicholas and Alexandra" and "Sarah T: Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic" in high school. I thought Sarah T was a mini-series, I'm sure it was longer than two hours, it seemed to go on for fucking ever (no insult intended, Linda). "An Early Frost" was done over multiple days too, but that was wonderful.

There was so much hype about Thorn Birds, Roots, Winds of War, War and Rememberance, and the Day After and I didn't find them very well done.

by Anonymousreply 16412/30/2011

YAY! I saw 2 references to "Poldark", on Masterpiece Theatre. That miniseries got me hooked on British television. Soon as Poldark, came "The Norman Conquests", one of the funniest plays ever.

I also loved "Taken", the scifi one by Speilberg, not the movie. I am going to search on Amazon now for these. Thanks for reminding me!

by Anonymousreply 16512/30/2011

Captain and the Kings w/Patty Duke (Emmy award winning performance)

by Anonymousreply 16612/30/2011

Another one with Patty Duke (Emmy nominated)called George Washington. The first part was so successful they made another one after George became President.

by Anonymousreply 16712/30/2011

My grandmother always remembers loving the TV mini-series version of "Imitation of Life" from the early-sixties.

It was controversial in that Helen Lawson played the Juanita Moore role in black-face. Helen's career was in such a slump that she was willing to do anything to pay the bills.

It was sponsored by Chevrolet, but Dinah Shore refused to sing the commerical jingle in protest. That was why racists in this country started spreading the rumor that Dinah Shore was a light-skinned black.

by Anonymousreply 16812/30/2011

I mean that the rumor was spread to get Dinah off TV, not that it was a shameful thing to be black.

Just wanted to clarify the import of the rumors.

by Anonymousreply 16912/30/2011

I agree, R164 , that "The Thorn Birds" mini-series was lacking. However, that always seems to be the case when Hollywood adapts a novel for television.

Still, I thought that Richard Chamberlain and Rachel Ward had great chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 17012/30/2011

The Two Worlds of Jenny Logan.

Lindsay Wagner time travels and has sex with hunky Marc Singer, an artist.

by Anonymousreply 17112/30/2011

The Flame Trees of Thika with:

Hayley Mills

Holly Aird

David Robb

Ben Cross

Mick Chege

Sharon Maughan credited as Sharon Mughan (the Taster's Choice Coffee Lady)

Steve Mwenesi

John Nettleton

by Anonymousreply 17212/30/2011

It's fun to remember some of the miniseries (and TV movies) listed here that I previously enjoyed but have forgotten about since they don't get rerun anymore.

There are several named that I was a fan of so I won't list them again.

One that I didn't see mentioned (I might have overlooked it though) and really would like to see again is "The Martian Chronicles" with Rock Hudson, Nicholas Hammond, and Roddy McDowell.

It's probably not good, but to a kid who loved sci-fi, it was the shit - at least until a few years later when "V" came along and replaced it as the best sci-fi miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 17301/03/2012

Anton Myrer's "Once an Eagle" and "The Last Convertible."

by Anonymousreply 17401/03/2012

Does the original UK version of Queer as Folk count as a miniseries? I just saw that for the first time in 2011 and I liked it.

Also, the first Tales of the City series is good.

by Anonymousreply 17501/03/2012

Roots- What can I say, a game changer.

IT- Scared the shyte out of me.

Rose Red- Scared the shyte out of me too.

V -1980'S (The scene of Diana eating the rat is classic)

Chiefs (First time I heard about men raping men)

Rich Man Poor Man- First time I saw child abuse and its effects.

North and South

Thorn Birds

by Anonymousreply 17601/03/2012

R163, Perry is shirtless some (at FIRST!), but eventually winds up in prison forever and not the good kind (with showers, cavity searches, rapes, etc...) The supporting cast just isn't on par enough (i.e. name brand or campy) with other minis from that era.

by Anonymousreply 17701/03/2012

Loved Armistead Maupin's "Tales of the City" on PBS many years back.

by Anonymousreply 17801/04/2012

"Rich Man, Poor Man" launched the careers of Nick Nolte (who became a major motion picture star) and Peter Strauss (who became a major television movie and miniseries star.) The rest of the cast was quite remarkable and included newcomers and some oldies. It didn't help Susan Blakely, who should have become a bigger star than she did from this work.

Reading the novel after seeing the series was quite confusing because the miniseries combined the three major women's roles into one played by Blakely.

Ed Asner was great as the abusive father and Dorothy Maguire as Mom. I liked bearish Tim McIntire and waifish Kay Lenz.

by Anonymousreply 17901/04/2012

"Wild Palms"--VERY bleak and WAY ahead of its time and featured standout performances by Dana Delaney, Nick Mancuso, Angie Dickinson and Robert Loggia. It wasn't a hit when it came out (much too dystopic for the early nineties) but it's better than anything on the air now, including the premium cable marquee shows.

by Anonymousreply 18001/04/2012

My parents have always talked about Edward and Mrs. Simpson, a late 70s/early 80s BBC/Masterpiece Theatre treatment of the Wallis and Edward affair. Unfortunately, only about half of it seems to be on YouTube last time I checked, but what's there is an enjoyably silly account of their early courtship (with a great theme song that turns "God Save the King" into a 30s jazz band tune - perfect for playboy Eddie). Edward Fox is Edward, Cynthia Harris a (somewhat stiff) Wallis, and Peggy Ashcroft is Queen Mary.

Apparently, the miniseries (and/or the book it was based on) was shocking back in the day for being the first serious expose of how bad Edward's Nazi favoritism would have been for England if he had stayed on the throne, but you won't get that from what's on YouTube. Will have to see if the whole thing is on DVD one of these days.

by Anonymousreply 18101/04/2012

I liked HBO's Mildred Pierce.

by Anonymousreply 18201/05/2012

Salem's Lot. Scared the shit out of me and I had read the book.

by Anonymousreply 18301/05/2012

Stephen King's "The Stand" scared me shitless and made me paranoid everytime I coughed or sneezed. I was a teenager at the time and I thought it was great, and parts of it still hold up, but it does look dated now. I'm really looking forward to the remake that's going into production soon. They could only get away with so much on network television back in the early 90s because of censorship, so the new "Stand" will be a lot more faithful to King's story.

by Anonymousreply 18401/05/2012

Rock Hudson also did World War III, didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 18501/05/2012

R181- It is on DVD, I rented the series from Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 18601/05/2012

CELEBRITY with Ben Masters, Joseph Bottoms and Michael Beck is the best. The book was a pageturner and the miniseries followed the plot closely.

Recently watched ASPEN with Sam Elliot, Perry King and Tony Franciosa. Sam Elliott's bare hairy torso-- truly a thing of beauty. The plot-- not so much.

by Anonymousreply 18701/05/2012

Wouldn;t it be great if there was one channel devoted to showing the miniseries. Everything from NBC 1970's novel to TV adaptations thru Rich Man.. thru Winds of War etc.

by Anonymousreply 18801/06/2012

The Jewel and the Crown

Best of Youth (from Italy)

by Anonymousreply 18901/06/2012

I would define a miniseries as:

-Considerably longer than a standard made for TV film; made with the intention of being shown as a "special event" over more than one night.

-Tells a complete story within a limited number of episodes, usually no more than two or three but definitely shorter than a normal season of a regular TV series.

-Usually there are no sequels, but if there are they will be treated as separate films or miniseries of their own with a complete story to tell that is separate from the original miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 19001/06/2012

I'm not sure it qualifies as a miniseries - if I remember correctly it played for an hour a night across five nights? But I liked "The Girl, the Gold Watch, and Everything" but probably because I was 10 years old with a massive crush on Robert Hays.

by Anonymousreply 19101/07/2012

I guess they tried to do some miniseries in the last decade, but they weren't very good.

One was about a 10.0 Earthquake.

Another was about "The Road to 9/11"(?)

by Anonymousreply 19201/07/2012

Lonesome Dove. North and South. True Women.

by Anonymousreply 19311/14/2012

"True Women" from 1997. Dana Delany gave a stellar performance as Sarah McClure. I can't believe she didn't receive some kind of award for that role. And aside from her part, the story itself was gripping. So full of great characters during an important time in America's history. I was glued to my couch all the way through it. It's the kind of show that'll make you miss meals.

by Anonymousreply 19411/14/2012

For pure melodrama "Lace", "The Thorn Birds", and "Little Gloria, Happy At Last."

"Lace" is just pure trash. From start to finish it is pure trash. "Which one of you bitches is my mother?" Does Phoebe Cates' character give a shit one way or the other? You don't know because her acting is soo horrible in the t.v. movie that there is just no way to tell.

"The Thorn Birds" is epic melodrama with surprisingly good cinematography and scenery. It has everything. The little girl who has an innocent crush of sorts on her Priest and grows up to have his child. The Priest is in torment (reflects Richard Chamberlain's issues about the era he is from and that affecting his being a gay man, he wrote a book on it) over his love but the Priest and the gal have a child who winds up dying when he is a grown man. And, melodrama for days blah blah blah, rent it now for a goofy evening in.

"Little Gloria, Happy At Last" You have a dead ringer for a child size version of Beverly Sills playing little Gloria amongst all these beautiful women, handsome men, great costuming, and set design. The little girl cannot act at all and yet is in scads of scenes! Her lines readings and reaction shots are epic in their horribleness, most especially in the scene where her nanny is fired and winds up testifying in court.

by Anonymousreply 19511/14/2012

The Last Convertible with Deborah Raffin. What a great mini-series about the life of college students and how things changed when WWII broke out.

by Anonymousreply 19611/25/2012

LACE !!!!!! OMG!!! I loved that miniseries. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Then my second fave was SINS with Joan Collins.

by Anonymousreply 19711/25/2012

Woman of Substance

Kane and Abel

by Anonymousreply 19811/25/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!