Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Janeane Garofalo. She''s a type of American girl.

Am I right?

I'm from England but went to America a lot as a kid (70s and 80s) and I feel like I met many girls like her. Kind of snarky. Kind of angry. Kind of chippy. Quite intelligent. Thinking they were original and out of the mainstream but in fact duplicated all over the place.

They smoked cigarettes and pot but not too much. Semi-vegetarian. Gay friendly and pro gay rights, but straight.

When they were old enough they would have moved to downtown NY or maybe a 'funky' district of another American city.

Also, if I am right, do such girls still exist? What happpened to them as they grew older?

by Anonymousreply 5204/21/2013

They're still the same, angry, snarky and UNmarried by their own choice (supposedly).

by Anonymousreply 105/28/2010

They don't have women like that in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 205/28/2010

Speaking for myself and my friends only, most of us got gentler and realized the whole angry snarky thing was self-loathing schtick. We still live in the city, still smoke but hate ourselves for doing it, and a lot of us change jobs. I left publishing for nursing school in my late 30's and have never regretted it. A lot of us are loving aunts but prefer cats and dogs to children.

by Anonymousreply 305/28/2010

I used to live in London, and this type of girl seemed to me even more common there. The UK version had messier hair and clothes, and drank a shitload more, but basically the same type. Ends up working in editing at a small press or in journalism somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 405/28/2010

Do Brits have angry people? They seem so charming.

by Anonymousreply 505/28/2010

R5 - I believe you should meet AYB. Angry Young Brit.

by Anonymousreply 605/28/2010

AYB's name is an homage to a school of British playwrights in the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 705/28/2010

R5: The Brits can be absolutely terrifying hooligans, particularly after they've poured the required 4 liters of vodka and red bull down their throats.

Seriously--I was very careful around those people. The rebound from all that repression is Terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 805/28/2010

r8, I thought they took that all out in the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 1005/28/2010

"Daria" was the cartoon version of such a girl.

by Anonymousreply 1105/28/2010

I love that R3 recognises herself in the description and admits to it.

So, what I'm referring to is a Daria-type?

They never married? Wouldn't they have had one baby, from a bad, long term, on-off relationship?...just before he finally left her and married the other, more feminine girl?

I think the British version R4 is referring to is very different. This kind of person is, in my experience, a product of America. Though she may have spent some time in Europe, maybe Rome or London or both in her youth and talk about it a lot, but would never have actually moved there.

She might have had a job as a waitress when she was younger, in a funky cafe or a very succesful fashionable restaurant. She would have been good at it and made good tips. Enough to pay for her studio apt. in the East Village and live the life she wanted to live at the time, maybe pursuing her photography, which she also would have been good at...even had a shared show somewhere, including many photos of her cats and aged aunt or grandmother and photos of relics of 50s America, disintigrating diner signs, rusty cars...

by Anonymousreply 1205/28/2010

It all sounds very Gen X. My brother had a girlfriend like that in the early-to-mid 1990s. Snarky, world-weary, but at the same time very ambitious. She had to make do with Minneapolis, but lived in the then-trendy Uptown area (I have no idea what it's like now, haven't been there for years). She dyed her hair black, studied in Montpelier in France for a semester, had a French boyfriend there, got an English bulldog, etc. She became a website designer but was also quite academic and ended up getting a Master's and then a PhD in a computer-related field.

by Anonymousreply 1305/28/2010

Tell us about the British version, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1405/28/2010

I agree with R13. OP at R12 immediately made me think of Reality Bites and that whole grunge era, indy media phenomenon.

I feel like Janeane Garofalo is now what she wishes she'd been on film in 1993.

by Anonymousreply 1505/28/2010

Hipster. That's the word you're looking for. And yes, they still exist. In much greater numbers, but not as authentic.

by Anonymousreply 1605/28/2010

I loved Daria. Wish I had a fag hag like her.

by Anonymousreply 1705/29/2010

Janeane Garofalo has that deadpan cynicism that a lot of other girls try to imitate to be hip and/or funny.

by Anonymousreply 1803/25/2013

I know that one woman who was the drummer for Imperial Teen is now a hausfrau married to a physician.

So many of the hipster chicks got married to wealthy men & many are still very liberal but many are hipster Republicans living in the burbs.

by Anonymousreply 2003/25/2013

A buddy of mine use to date her back in the 90's. When he started going out with her he said that she had too much bush and he would not go down on her unless she shaved her pussy. Once she did this he saved all her pubic hair and mailed it to me in a ziplock sandwich bag. Still have some of it.

by Anonymousreply 2103/25/2013

I think the hip and "edgy," but not-quite that hip and Edgy get married and go into some sort of safe job. The ones that were really hip and edgy, well, that's another story...

by Anonymousreply 2203/25/2013

She was cute when she was the hip and sarcastic chubby chick. She didn't look as good when she went skinny and blonde.

by Anonymousreply 2303/25/2013

what does she look like now?

by Anonymousreply 2403/25/2013

I haven't seen her in ages.

by Anonymousreply 2503/25/2013

Janeane Garofalo is one of those fugly type communists who hate anybody who disagrees wtith them. She is the type of white person who goes out of their way to say they are pro black and condemn white people around them whether they are racist or not to elevate herself in our eyes. She is a racist through and through but she projects it on the other white people around her because she thinks its gonna make us "black folk" jump and jump to her side.

by Anonymousreply 2603/25/2013

So, is there an English version?

by Anonymousreply 2703/25/2013

if you're that paranoid with your allies it's a wonder you have any friends at all, r26.

by Anonymousreply 2803/25/2013

Gen Y Janeane Garofalo types are Daria types. Millenial Janeane Garofalo types are Juno types. It's definitely a thing.

by Anonymousreply 2903/25/2013

My brother's housemate was that kind of girl in the Chicago of the early 90s but cuter. Baby doll dresses, Betty Page haircut, indie bands, and exotic boyfriends from Scotland or somewhere else international. Not as caustic as Garafolo. She eventually met a young lawyer, got married, had triplets and moved out to a McMansion in Wilmette to be a housefrau.

by Anonymousreply 3103/25/2013

I think a lot of these girls weren't classically pretty when they were growing up, so they made up for it by playing on their intelligence and developed a slightly superior, sarcastic wit.

The heavy smoking was a sort of outward sign of being rebellious.

The black jeans, leather jackets and ugly running shoes were a rejection of the accepted idea of femininity.

I think they probably marry later in life. A much older guy who's been married before and become 'cool stepmoms'.

They'll still be very pro-gay marriage, very anti-racist, stuff like that, but won't actually do anything to make a difference.

They'll have tried to be a success in things like photography, but will have given it up by forty, forty-five.

by Anonymousreply 3203/25/2013

Early appearance

by Anonymousreply 3303/25/2013

[quote]I loved Daria. Wish I had a fag hag like her.

These girls are never fag hags. She may have one very good gay friend she kept from high school days or that she made when she waitressed in some hip, East Village cafe in her early twenties.

by Anonymousreply 3403/25/2013

I don't think you can be a hipster AND a republican, R20. I don't think it's allowed.

by Anonymousreply 3503/25/2013

Wasn't "Jane" a sort of buzzword for her type in the mid to late 90's? Fiercely liberal, in tune with her own body and orgasm, hip and up-to-date but not afraid of ironic retro touches like hair bows or maryjane shoes.

by Anonymousreply 3603/25/2013

She's still around?

by Anonymousreply 3703/25/2013

I remember Marge Simpson attending Janeane's stand up set. Garofalo began "so, I'm on my period.." and Marge exclaimed "oh, my!"

by Anonymousreply 3803/25/2013

I remember people actually finding her more appealing than Uma Thurman in The "The Facts About Dogs and Cats".

by Anonymousreply 3903/25/2013

[quote]I know that one woman who was the drummer for Imperial Teen is now a hausfrau married to a physician.

I believe she's still in the band. I saw them play in Brooklyn last winter. They rocked.

by Anonymousreply 4103/25/2013

My grandmother claims to have been the Janeane Garafalo of her day.

by Anonymousreply 4204/19/2013

If it was not for Janeane Garofalo, there would have been no Lena Dunham!

by Anonymousreply 4304/19/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 4404/21/2013

Most of my female friends are this type of girl. They love me for some reason.

They are mostly in their 40s not and mostly still single.

Jen gets angrier every year. She's now a cycling activist, a writer, and edits a magazine. She hates every job she's forced to take to pay the bills. She still has boyfriend problems. She goes out for drinks with me and regales me with hilarious stories about her dysfuntional family and her ridiculous female friends.

Marte went back to college to become a lawyer/librarian. She has a great job and lives in a swanky condo. Still single, still overweight, still drinks like a sonofabitch. Reads everything she can get her hands on.

Louella is doing very well in her job. She's worked her way up and seems to enjoy it. She's resigned herself to the fact that she will never meet a compatible man or get married. She travels extensively and hangs out with her family a lot more. Still drinks a lot and eats, eats, eats. I've never seen her so fat.

Davina still lives in a fantasy world and gets stranger all the time. She has a boring, but decent job and has moved in with her mother. Still has a crush on her ex boyfriend's brother but has accepted that he's not interested. She's heavily into the fantasy fiction shit and dabbles in Wicca. She seems to be retreating from the world into the world of her imagination. She's the one I'm most worried about.

Juniper quite her crap job and started her own communications and marketing consulting company. She's dropped the punk/hipster look and now dresses very stylishly, albeit with a bit of an edge. Has become very outdoorsy. Does lots of adventure sports like skiing and snowboarding and mountain climbing and stuff like that. Still single. Can still put away the beer.

by Anonymousreply 4504/21/2013

[quote]They love me for some reason.

You must know the reason. You're just not saying.

by Anonymousreply 4604/21/2013

UK is full of girls like that, OP. They're emos.

by Anonymousreply 4704/21/2013

She's just a regular girl born out of someone's asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4804/21/2013

[quote]UK is full of girls like that, OP. They're emos.

No.

by Anonymousreply 4904/21/2013

[quote]UK is full of girls like that, OP. They're emos.

No, they're absolute products of America.

Everything they are and everything they react against and for is to do with America and being American...and is to do with feeling they don't fit in with America and everything it represents. When in fact they fit in perfectly and have their place, outside the mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 5004/21/2013

[quote] Kind of snarky. Kind of angry. Kind of chippy. Quite intelligent. Thinking they were original and out of the mainstream but in fact duplicated all over the place.

[quote] This kind of person I'd, in my experience, a product of America

Uh, no, OP. Kind of snarky, kind of angry, kind of chippy, thinking they are original and out of the mainstream? Here she is:

by Anonymousreply 5104/21/2013

My favorite fact about Janeane Garofalo is that she married some friend of hers during a drunken binge in the 90's and apparently forgot that they were married until the guy wanted to marry another woman and they had to get a divorce.

by Anonymousreply 5204/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.