Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

WORST SNL ACTOR

I'm thinking Victoria Jackson is the worst SNL actor of all time. She wasn't funny when she was on and she is a shrill fool now. Other nominees?

by Anonymousreply 23910/26/2014

Garrett Morris for me. Beyond the painfully unfunny "Chico Escuela" character ("Beisbol be berry berry good to me"), I can't remember one other sketch in which he made an impression.

by Anonymousreply 105/27/2010

Anthony Michael Hall was pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 205/27/2010

[quote]Garrett Morris for me. Beyond the painfully unfunny "Chico Escuela" character ("Beisbol be berry berry good to me"), I can't remember one other sketch in which he made an impression.

Well, he smooched O.J. Simpson in the Mandingo spoof.

by Anonymousreply 305/27/2010

Joe Piscopo

by Anonymousreply 405/27/2010

I'm going to encounter opposition here, but I never found Chris Farley remotely funny. I was mystified that other people liked Farley--I thought he was just an obnoxious sweaty obese asshole.

I loathed Adam Sandler, but I did see he had some talent (whereas I thought Farley had none).

There have been several people on SNL who made zero impression on me when they were on it and then went on to become quite good at other stuff: Sarah Silverman, Chris Rock, and Jay Mohr.

by Anonymousreply 505/27/2010

Garrett Morris auditioning with a song for [italic]Gigi[/italic] director Peter Cook, was electric: [italic]"I'm gonna ... get me a shotgun and kill all the whiteys I see!"[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 605/27/2010

Billy Crystal

Horatio Sanz

by Anonymousreply 705/27/2010

I never got Chris Farley either. I just figured it was some straight guy thing I was immune to.

by Anonymousreply 805/27/2010

"I think we have our Gigi."

by Anonymousreply 905/27/2010

Agree with OP's choice. Victoria Jackson is a cunt who is not funny.

by Anonymousreply 1105/27/2010

Siobhan Fallon, anyone? You don't remember her either, do you? Never created a memorable character, never did anything memorable, just walked around looking pissed and bitter for 2 years....

by Anonymousreply 1205/27/2010

We should have a thread on [bold]The Dead [italic]Saturday Night Live[/italic] Cast[/bold].

by Anonymousreply 1305/27/2010

Who was the one who only got a laugh as Jan Brady (and not a good Jan Brady at that) but fell flat in every other sketch?

That one.

by Anonymousreply 1505/27/2010

Melanie Hudsell, R15

by Anonymousreply 1605/27/2010

I know this thread is about the best actors, but I always thought Terry Sweeney and his Nancy Reagan impression was brilliant. He was so underrated.

by Anonymousreply 1705/27/2010

Wikipedia says Victoria Jackson was on there for six years. Good God. Nora Dunn and Jan Hooks couldn't hide their contempt when they had to do a scene with her. Another stinker: Rich Hall. Besides being unfunny, he was completely hideous. Matt Groening used his face for a template when he created Moe the bartender on the Simpsons.

by Anonymousreply 1905/27/2010

All of them post 1993.

by Anonymousreply 2005/27/2010

I know Julia Louis-Dreyfuss was on SNL but I cannot remember one thing she did. I guess she wasn't mind numbingly bad but not particularly memorable.

by Anonymousreply 2105/27/2010

Didn't Julia Louis-Dreyfuss do Marie Osmond to Gary Kroeger's Donny? I recall her also doing some kind of nerdy character, similar to Gilda Radner's Lisa Loopner.

by Anonymousreply 2205/27/2010

She played Darla in the Buckwheat/Little Rascals sketches.

by Anonymousreply 2305/27/2010

Denny Dillon.

by Anonymousreply 2405/27/2010

Charles Rocket

by Anonymousreply 2505/27/2010

Julia Louis-Dreyfus was one of the Whiners ("But WAIIIII-TERRRRR! We want THAT table over THERRRRRRE!"), which I always thought was a funny skit.

The worst of all are probably from the Jean Doumanian period: Charles Rocket, Ann Risley, and the absolutely loathsome Denny Dillon.

by Anonymousreply 2605/27/2010

Melanie Hudsell was bad, but her Monica Seles character (who exclaimed "WhaKAAAI!!" with every exertion) still makes me laugh.

Agree with Victoria Jackson. Annoying voice, expressionless, and generally worthless.

by Anonymousreply 2705/27/2010

Oh, Jesus, I never understood how Denny Dillon ever had a career. (She was also on "Dream On".) I used to work under a V.P. who looked just like Denny Dillon and I HATED her immediately. Deserved? Absolutely not; she was a sweetheart. But my Denny Dillon hate blinded me for months--THAT'S how much I LOATHE that midget, big-mouthed bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2805/27/2010

Wasn't Melanie Hudsell also the key to the Delta Delta Delta sketches? I think she's the one who said, "I love your earrings...they make your whole head SPARKLE!!!" in the perfect sorority girl voice.

I like her just for her delivery on all of those lines.

"Your hair is so shiny...it looks just like a SCARF!!!"

by Anonymousreply 2905/28/2010

Victoria Jackson, a standout among unfunny cast members.

Her commentaries on Weekend Update were painful.

by Anonymousreply 3005/28/2010

I think it was Robin Duke who did the Whiners sketches - though maybe Julia was in there at some point too. Dreyfuss used to do a vapid Latina character with Mary Gross. I remember them reviewing movies and naming the actors they wanted to sleep with. In reviewing "Ghostbusters" Mary Gross picked "the black one." Maybe it was a slam against the former SNL actors who starred in "Ghostbusters" but it was funny because even when the movie was current no one remembered there was a black/fourth "Ghostbuster."

by Anonymousreply 3105/28/2010

For some reason Lorne Michaels really has it in for Melanie Hutsell and you cannot find any of her skits on the web, EXCEPT for the Battle of the Bands between the Partridge Family and the Brady Bunch which you can find on her own site. I always thought she was good, but very limited. the problem wasn't that she did Jan Brady all the time; the problem was she did Tori Spelling (which was not like Jan Brady) all the time. The Tori Spelling character was great in the actual "Tori! Tori! Tori!" skit... I still remember the names of the perfumes she had created for her: "Forever Dylan," "Smells Like Shannon Doherty," and "Absolutely Tori" ("Because I asked my Daddy if he would buy me my own perfume factory, and he said, 'Absolutely, Tori!'"). The trouble was she did Tori Spelling when she was supposed to be doing Deanna Troi or Chelsea Clinton, and it didn't make any sense. Still, I keep wondering what she did to Lorne Michaels that made him hate her so much.

by Anonymousreply 3205/28/2010

I must be the only person who liked Melanie Hutsell. Her Jan Brady was dead-on and the sorority girls were too (I was in college with the Delta! Delta! Deltas! at the time.) Sure her range was limited - her Tori Spelling ended up sounding exactly like Jan Brady - but there were so few women on the show then and the homophobia at a high point that I liked seeing a campy fag-hag type like her.

by Anonymousreply 3305/28/2010

Julie Sweeney was pretty bad. It's Pat was funny for about 2 minutes and then everything else she did, including Pat, just sucked hard.

by Anonymousreply 3405/28/2010

I remember when they had heather Locklear as guest host they did a "Wayne's World Goes to Melrose Place" parody, and Julia Sweeney was all excited and told the press how thrilled they were going to do this because "Melrose" was her favorite show... and she was AWFUL as the Daphne Zuniga part. David Spade was much, much funnier, and he was cast as Josie Bissett! ("Oh boo hoo hoo... I have the worst part on the show!")

by Anonymousreply 3505/28/2010

[quote]Garrett Morris for me. Beyond the painfully unfunny "Chico Escuela" character ("Beisbol be berry berry good to me"), I can't remember one other sketch in which he made an impression.

"May I present Lord and Lady DOUCHE-BAG!"

by Anonymousreply 3605/28/2010

Casey Wilson who they only put in a skit whenever they needed a second female.

And let's not forget Horatio Sanz.

by Anonymousreply 3705/28/2010

the fat black guy on now is hideous...he just reads his lines off the teleprompter with zero meaning.

He went to Horatio Sanz's school of acting

by Anonymousreply 3805/28/2010

Julia Louis-Dreyfus did a magnificent Linda Ronstandt parody - from the mid-1980s collaborations Ronstadt had with Nelson Riddle. (Don't know if it's available from [italic]YouTube[/italic].)

by Anonymousreply 3905/28/2010

R38,

. . . Kenan Thompson.

I love him. He's exuberant. Especially dig his "What Up With That?" - and he was great playing Tiger Woods.

by Anonymousreply 4005/28/2010

For R31:

"He would have been great Ghostbuster if they had given him great ghostbusting things to do. If they had said, 'Go do thees, and be thucthetthful weeeth it.'"

by Anonymousreply 4205/28/2010

Kenan Thompson started out on a Nickelodeon tween sketch comedy show.

I never expected him to be funny, but I find him funny more often than not on SNL. His Steve Harvey impression is great.

I can never decide if I actually liked Julia Sweeney on SNL, or if I only think that because I like what she's done since.

She's clearly as mystified by Pat as anyone else, and she says so in "God Said 'Ha'"

by Anonymousreply 4305/28/2010

Jimmy fucking Fallon owns this thread. He was pretty, yes. But he broke character, looked into the camera, and cracked up laughing in every single sketch he ever did. I cringed every time I saw him in a sketch. And he had no memorable characters.

How the hell did he get on the show?

by Anonymousreply 4405/28/2010

Victoria Jackson is a psycho shrill fundie now, but I don't think she was while she was on the show. She was funny when she would play the guitar and sing. That "Where do you draw the line" song was hilarious. Does anyone else remember it?

"What if the doctor said...I had an incurable disease...and the only way to cure it is to take a shower with you naked? Where do you draw the line between love and adultery? Do you love you neighbor? Or do you sleep with him?"

by Anonymousreply 4505/28/2010

Jimmy Fallon gets a pass from me for only one reason: the fucking hysterical "Sex and the Matrix" parody he did with Sarah Jessica Parker for the 2000 MTV Movie awards.

by Anonymousreply 4605/28/2010

[quote]Victoria Jackson is a psycho shrill fundie now, but I don't think she was while she was on the show.

She was, which was why the other women on the cast hated her.

by Anonymousreply 4705/28/2010

As much as I loved him on "Kids in the Hall," I think Mark McKinney was dreadful on SNL.

Or maybe I was just disappointed by him.

by Anonymousreply 4805/28/2010

Jan Hooks and Nora Dunn HATED Victoria Jackson. HATED her.

by Anonymousreply 4905/28/2010

Melanie Hutsell may have a limited range, but it's a very funny range.

Any votes for Brad Hall? Tim Kazurinsky? Very bad period for SNL...

by Anonymousreply 5105/28/2010

Melanie Hudsell was on "The Comeback" Palm Springs show I believe as the girl who is hogging the pool chairs. She's funny on that. Or maybe I'm confusing her with the girl who played Jan in "Brady Bunch Movie."

by Anonymousreply 5205/28/2010

Victoria Jackson: Once and forever stupid, fundie bitch. Her real-life persona is a bleach blonde, bubble-head, and that is the only "character" she eaver "played"...

by Anonymousreply 5305/28/2010

Add me to the Chris Farley bandwagonn. Basically he threw himself around the stage until his face turned blue and called it comedy. If he had lived, I doubt people would be calling him a comic genius, especially if they tried to sit through one of his movies again.

by Anonymousreply 5405/28/2010

I only hated the skits Fallon did with Horatio Sanz. It seemed Horatio was the Tim Conway to Fallon's Korman.

Hated Victoria Jackson with a passion then and now. She had to have been blowing someone to be on that show for six years.

To the person who mentioned Garrett Morris kissing OJ in the Mandigo parody, I seem to recall Bill Murray kissing OJ as well in the same skit.

by Anonymousreply 5505/28/2010

Chris Farley was great in "Tommy Boy" which is still a funny movie. I like him better than Belushi, who I always thought wasn't funny. Belushi also didn't think women were funny and hated Jane Curtin.

by Anonymousreply 5605/28/2010

If you guys read "Live from New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live", it seems that everyone hated Nora Dunn and Jan Hooks while they were there. They were assholes to everybody. And also, Nora Dunn was having an affair with Lorne Michaels at the time. Victoria Jackson may not have been the best, but she had her moments like when she was Zsa-Zsa Gabor with Rick Moranis, Jan Hooks, and Nora Dunn as Jim Bakker, Tammy Faye Bakker, and Leona Helmsley making a prison break. She could be funny.

by Anonymousreply 5705/28/2010

Ah, the "Big Bull Dyke Bust-Out of 1991!" (I think that was the year), 57. One of SNL's best.

I thought Garrett Morris had a lot of funny moments. Most memorable was back when Jimmy Carter was President, SNL did a spoof of the Three Mile Island incident where Carter ended up getting super-sized by the radiation. Rosalind was already upset when Morris, as the newly-giant maid, pursed his lips at her as he held onto the arm of his/her new man, the giant President!

by Anonymousreply 5805/28/2010

This thread is more proof the DL will debate anything. Victoria Jackson is the worst - how this is debatable is beyond me.

There is not one memorable skit or muted laugh provided by her. Not one! If you were going to rank SNLers on their careers after SNL - she ranks last - ever dead snlers careers have more merits. She was horrible on SNL and her life after SNL is only redeemable because she may have a mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 5905/28/2010

Fallon gets a pass from me for the "Barry Gibb Talk Show."

I used to dismiss Farley as just a Belushi wannabee, but he had his moments: his awkward talk show interviewer ("Member when you were with the Beatles?" "Yeah." "That was awesome."), the Chippendale's dancer, Todd from the Superfans, and motivational speaker Matt Foley. By all accounts I've heard from people who met him, he was a very nice guy who was gracious to his fans, but lonely and (obviously) self-destructive.

Horatio Sanz will forever own the "Belushi wannabee" role.

by Anonymousreply 6005/28/2010

Hudsell was not on The Comeback.

by Anonymousreply 6105/28/2010

Victoria Jackson--now that you mention it, I can't remember a single skit, but only the HORRIBLE voice. That can not have been real, right? She must've wanted a trademark and came up with that.

I loved the Barry Gibb talk show!

And Farley has a lot of memorable skits for me, one that is sort of obscure but is so funny is the girls who work at the Gap. He (obviously) played the fat girl who said she was dieting but kept taking her friend's french fries. When the friend (I think played by David Spade) mentioned it, Farley screamed in a demonic voice, "I'M HUUUUNGRY!" The guest star was Darlene from Roseanne, and it is a really funny skit all the way through.

by Anonymousreply 6205/28/2010

Melanie's character who was shopping at The Gap when Adam Sandler and David Spade played the bitchy Gap Girls.

She comes back to return the jeans cause. She. Didn't know how to cynch them. She says: I thought you were my friends! I almost told you about my sisters abortion!"

Loved her. Lorne can suck my nuts!

by Anonymousreply 6305/28/2010

I think the worst sketch I ever sat through was the Chippendale's sketch with Farley and Patrick Swayze. It was the most obvious sort of negative comedy, involving laughing at this sad clearly self-loathing man. The damn skit had one joke, and it sucked.

Watching it made me feel very sad.

by Anonymousreply 6405/28/2010

[quote]Melanie Hudsell was on "The Comeback" Palm Springs show I believe as the girl who is hogging the pool chairs. She's funny on that. Or maybe I'm confusing her with the girl who played Jan in "Brady Bunch Movie."

You're thinking of Jennifer Elise Cox. She was on that episode of "The Comeback". In addition to playing Jan Brady in the movies, she was also Nurse Pittman on "Will and Grace"- "Oh I don't drive. I keep taking the test over and over and I'm all like 'This is hard'!"

by Anonymousreply 6505/28/2010

Horatio Sanz was easily one of the worst. The show should've ended in 1995. The best person post 1995 was Norm MacDonald doing weekend update. Barely anyone else worth mentioning after that.

by Anonymousreply 6605/28/2010

Colin Quinn was horrible at weekend update, but amazingly, Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon(and then Amy Poehler) were even worse. Astonishing how unfunny and lame their humor was. I don't even know who's been on the last few years, I couldn't stand to watch.

by Anonymousreply 6705/28/2010

[quote]Still, I keep wondering what she did to Lorne Michaels that made him hate her so much.

It wasn't what Melanie Hutsell did, it was what she didn't do.....ME.

by Anonymousreply 6805/28/2010

Actually, Melanie Hutsell is doing a damn good Paula Deen in that sketch.

I'm horrified that someone here found uber-homophobe Norm McDonald funny.

by Anonymousreply 6905/28/2010

R60, did the people you know who met Farley say that he seemed lonely to them, or are you just talking about what has been said in the media?

by Anonymousreply 7005/28/2010

R64, really? I think the part in this skit when Farley begins posing and flexing again after being criticized is HILARIOUS:

by Anonymousreply 7105/28/2010

R18, it's rare to find ANY SNL clip on YouTube, NBC goes after the clips on a daily basis, so they can instead show them on Hulu, with ad bucks...and only the limited ones they've chosen.

by Anonymousreply 7205/28/2010

[quote]Dreyfuss used to do a vapid Latina character with Mary Gross. I remember them reviewing movies and naming the actors they wanted to sleep with. Yep, they were called "Chi Chi and Consuela". They were really funny. They would always cry about how beautiful and happy various men in the movies were...and then comment upon why they were crying, and then comment upon the comments...it was very meta.

by Anonymousreply 7305/28/2010

Have we gotten this far without anyone mentioning Ellen Cleghorne - or did I miss the post?

Her bug-eyed stare, combined with that grating voice, was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 7405/29/2010

The least talented SNL actor ever has to be Kenan Thompson. I hated him when he was on "All That"; even as a teen, I could tell that he was in way over his head. I just want to smack him until his googly eyes deflate and fall out of his head.

by Anonymousreply 7505/29/2010

Googly eyes? How dare you! HOW [bold]DARE[/bold] YOU?

by Anonymousreply 7605/29/2010

Fallon is not funny. Pretending to crack up in order to get people to laugh at you is tired.

by Anonymousreply 7705/29/2010

Looks like Adam Sandler has another bomb on his hands.

"Adam Sandler spends more time laughing at jokes than making them in Grown Ups, perhaps the slackest, shabbiest comedy in the star's increasingly dreadful oeuvre."

by Anonymousreply 7806/23/2010

Adam Sandler had some moments on SNL but many of bits became tiresome (Cajun Boy, Opera Man, basically any character he did on Weekend Update. He will always get a pass from me for being Canteen Boy in the scout skit with Alec Baldwin. "You know what I hate, Canteen Boy? Underpants!"

by Anonymousreply 7906/23/2010

Uh, other than Jane Curtin and Gilda Ratner all of the people who have been on SNL have sucked like a vampire bat! The show hasn't been funny or relevant since the fourth season and should have been cancelled long ago.

by Anonymousreply 8006/23/2010

I always hated Norm McDonald. People can bitch about Colin Quinn's Weekend Update, but I thought it was an improvement over McDonald who never made me laugh once. I actually had a friend who loved Norm McDonald and said he found the Weekend Update funny because it was obvious how much contempt McDonald had for the shitty material he was given. Only problem: the person who does Weekend Update is also the one who writes it. So McDonald was 100% responsible for the segment sucking ass.

by Anonymousreply 8106/23/2010

Has there ever been a film on RT that didn't get one good review? I wonder of Grown-ups will be that movie? I don't mind Sandler so I hope that doesn't happen but GU looks like some knuckle dragging, male menopause BS.

by Anonymousreply 8206/23/2010

Hated Victoria Jackson, Norm McDonald, and Horatio Sanz. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

by Anonymousreply 8306/23/2010

C'mon...Garrett Morris gets a pass for doing his Tina Tuner impression alone.

by Anonymousreply 8406/23/2010

What about Rob Schneider? Aside from his "Richmeister" character ("makin' copies"), did he do anything on SNL that was even mildly funny or made an impression?

by Anonymousreply 8506/23/2010

That fat fuck Beluci.

That bipolar weirdo Bill Murray.

That obnoxious smug asshole Dennis somethingorother he's right winger now.

by Anonymousreply 8706/23/2010

Apparently, I must have a horrible sense of humor, because I found all the women mentioned on this thread funny. Loved Melanie Hudsell as "Delta Delta Delta Can I help ya help ya help ya?".. loved Pat... loved Ellen Cleghorne as the talkative NBC page who gets resentful ("Don't think I won't cut you!")... even loved Victoria Jackson - I remember a very funny Oscar prediction bit she did on Weekend Update.

by Anonymousreply 8806/23/2010

Denny Dillon. She was on with Gilbert Gottfried back in the early 80's. Never cared for either of them.

by Anonymousreply 8901/03/2013

Melanie Hutsell had a brief scene in "Bridesmaids" playing tennis.

Like R33 and several others, I loved MH. I've watched a number of those earlier 90's skits on Netflix where she's Jan Brady, Tori Spelling, sorority girl, etc. She's funny, the skits are entertaining but it seems like the writers never knew how to humorously write a skit ending.

by Anonymousreply 9001/03/2013

YES, R12. I fucking HATE Siobhan Fallon. She's so distracting and obnoxious in everything she does. I don't know why she keeps getting work.

by Anonymousreply 9101/03/2013

Victoria Jackson was, by far, the worst. And there have been some bad ones over the years.

by Anonymousreply 9201/03/2013

Norm McDonald. Even though I though he looked handsome as hell in the suit for the newscast segment, he bombed it every time

by Anonymousreply 9301/03/2013

Dave Koechner and Jan Walls only survived one season.

Janeane Garofalo was underused and quit in disgust.

by Anonymousreply 9401/03/2013

So many to choose from. Let's just say all the living ones.

by Anonymousreply 9501/03/2013

Horatio Sanz- he was awful. Jimmy Fallon was bad.

Chris Rock said the same thing about the Chippendales skit as the poster above- that it was degrading. But it was the very first thing Farley did that got him attention- it was the second or third episode of the 1990-91 season that he was in. It was also Chris Rock's first season.

I didn't think much of Victoria Jackson but I did like her Audrey Horne from "Twin Peaks" and some very bizarre skit she was in with Sting in early 1991 where she plays a woman meeting her bf's parents for the first time and does stupid things like juggling a Ming vase (and breaking it) and dumping mashed potatoes in her hair and dancing.

by Anonymousreply 9601/03/2013

ROB SCHNEIDER. WHAT AN IRRITATING LITTLE MAN.

by Anonymousreply 9701/03/2013

Horatio Sanz. Nothing funny about him at all.

by Anonymousreply 9801/03/2013

Garrett Morris would always flub his lines, his timing with the rest of the cast never seemed to click.

by Anonymousreply 9901/03/2013

Melanie Hutsell flubbed her lines all the time.

Horatio Sanz could never get them out because he was too busy giggling.

And despite how funny they were supposed to be, Maya Rudolph and Amy Poehler never impressed me until they left the show. Despite their being such cutting edge funny women, Lorne's boy's club never let them shine.

by Anonymousreply 10001/03/2013

R96 "I didn't think much of Victoria Jackson but I did like her Audrey Horne from "Twin Peaks" "

Odd that they cast her as Audrey because Victoria would have made a better Lucy

by Anonymousreply 10101/03/2013

I agree with Binky; former KitH Mark McKinney was a bitter disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 10301/03/2013

R101, this was the Fall of 1990 and Nora Dunn had been fired at the end of the previous season so all they had left were Jackson and Hooks (Julia Sweeney didn't join until a few months into the season) and you know they really wanted to do a cherry stem joke.

by Anonymousreply 10401/03/2013

Jimmy Fallon, Horatio Sanz, Chris Kattan, Chris Farley (although I admit like the previous poster, it could be a straight frat thing I don't get), Chevy Chase...

I loved Norm MacDonald, but I think his dry Anglo humour didn't always translate well. r81, MacDonald didn't write all his own stuff-they had writers. Jim Downey also had a say, as he was given a lot of autonomy by Michaels.

I never liked Chris Rock as a sketch actor. I even thought MacDonald was better at it, and it wasn't his thing. I always thought they should have given him an Update shot, as he was better talking than acting.

by Anonymousreply 10501/03/2013

Victoria Jackson was only funny in two skits: her portrayal of Latoya Jackson being on an interview show with the real Spike Lee and as a woman who won "best sexy pout in a video" award on the Cable Ace show. Toonces had a more illustrious comedic legacy.

Was Christine Ebersole very funny on the show back in '82? I remember her being outshone by Robin Duke in almost every sketch.

by Anonymousreply 10601/03/2013

Something about Abby Elliot made me want to punch her in the face.

by Anonymousreply 10701/03/2013

Sanz did one of the best bits during his era. He played Rosie during WU. Came on and was charming and funny. Turned his head and became Psycho Rosie. It was oddly on target.

And bad as Victoria Jackson was/is, the worst SNL player I've ever seen was during the Doumanian reign of terror. Her name was Ann Risley and her only claim to fame was that Woody Allen recommended her. Little doubt why, since she was a total clone of Diane Keaton without any of her talent or charm. She sullied everything she touched. The SNL books paint her as a prima donna bitch. Once she told Eddie Murphy to get her a drink and Murphy didn't budge. She told him, "Listen, I've done Shakespeare, I've done Woody Allen."

by Anonymousreply 10801/03/2013

OMG, r108. I didn't remember that.

One point in her favour, though, is that she is the one who finally let Eddie Murphy in the stage door he'd been hanging around.

To me, that was a no-brainer, but TPTB didn't really see him as more than a young smart ass at first.

by Anonymousreply 10901/03/2013

Jim Breuer - useless, unfunny pothead. His best-known skit was the awful Goat Boy.

by Anonymousreply 11001/03/2013

I remember that. I hated goat boy.

by Anonymousreply 11101/03/2013

Goat Boy was one of the worst skits ever.

Anthony Michael Hall and Chris Rock are two who did much better elsewhere than on SNL:

by Anonymousreply 11201/03/2013

Colin Quinn was awful - always stumbling over his lines on Weekend Update. He was so unprofessional it just made you cringe.

by Anonymousreply 11301/03/2013

A lot of actors have done much better elsewhere than on SNL. SNL has a knack for hiring people with talent and then sucking all of the talent and energy right out of them. Anthony Michael Hall, Chris Rock, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, Mark McKinney, Jeaneane Garofolo, and Michael McKean are all examples of people who had success either before or after SNL but were totally forgettable while on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 11401/03/2013

R109, I think it was the first SNL book that gave her no credit at all for putting Murphy on the air. It was all NBC and they were getting desperate. They reran the season a few years back on VH1 and one moment from the book was completely correct. It was during the terrible WU with Charles Rocket. Murphy came on and did some impressions and the audience started roaring and applauding. He finished and Rocket started back up. Dead silence to the end of the bit.

by Anonymousreply 11501/03/2013

Colin Quinn was the worst Weekend Update anchor ever and never made me laugh once in my life until I saw his Twitter. It's just constant trolling but he's D-list enough (and about half of his followers are dumb enough) that people fall for it

by Anonymousreply 11601/03/2013

I never found Rich Hall or "Sniglets" remotely funny.

Horatio Sanz, WTF? Stoned fat guys are a dime a dozen. Chris Farley was the Laurence Olivier of comedy compared to him.

Charles Rocket just creeped me out. I was startled to learn via Wikepedia that he was found dead in a field near his home in Connecticut in 2005, with his throat cut by his own hand.

by Anonymousreply 11701/03/2013

Pretty much all of the cast from the 1980-81 season (Charles Rocket, Dennie Dillon, Gilbert Gottfried, etc). I watched the first two episodes of that season and didn't watch again until about 1986. Terrible. Victoria Jackson was whiney and horrible too. I also disliked Terry Sweeney. Very Annoying.

by Anonymousreply 11801/03/2013

Jason Sudeikis is cute, but not really that funny. I don't like Jay Pharoah or Kenan, except for Kenan's "Wazzup wit dat" sketch.

by Anonymousreply 11901/03/2013

Dennis Miller. All I remember him for was weekend update, and that was just sarcasm, not comedy.

by Anonymousreply 12001/03/2013

I don't know who was worse. All I know is that this stupid thread is taking up precious space. We need more threads about Harry Styles and Anderson Cooper, god damn it!

by Anonymousreply 12101/03/2013

A 16-way tie, in rough chronological order: Charles Rocket, Gail Matthius, Ann Risley, Christine Ebersole, Mary Gross, Gary Kroeger, Tim Meadows, Beth Cahill, Colin Quinn, Nancy Walls, Jim Breuer, Chris Kattan, Dean Edwards, Jeff Richards, Finesse Mitchell, Casey Wilson

by Anonymousreply 12201/03/2013

The Farley/Swayze Chippendales thing was funny but I agree with Farley and Fallon.

by Anonymousreply 12301/03/2013

I haven't watched much SNL in the past decade, and don't remember anything of what Casey did there, but she's great on Happy Endings.

by Anonymousreply 12401/03/2013

Cheri Oteri was one of the better talents but some reason has had minimal success post-SNL.

by Anonymousreply 12501/03/2013

Denny Dillon was in the funny "Survival Trip" episode of "Designing Women."

To start 2013 on a more positive note, let me submit my votes for the best: Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, and most of the original cast.

by Anonymousreply 12601/03/2013

I wonder how SNL would have been if Lorne Michaels had managed to snag most of the SCTV cast as he tried to do. In his book, Dave Thomas describes how one person from SCTV (I think it was Catherine O'Hara) went to NY just as a trial and she left so depressed and dejected. I guess the atmosphere changed a bit by the time Martin Short was on. Either that, or perhaps he was getting paid much more. (Tony Rosato and Robin Duke had gone from SCTV to SNL in the early 1980s, but they were always bit players in the former.)

by Anonymousreply 12701/03/2013

I had forgotten about some of these people--I hated Goat Boy too! There was a guy a few years back who pretty much only had one memorable character..."Drunk Girl".. Jeff something?

I liked Melanie Hutsell and Ellen Cleghirne. Bummer they never did much after SNL.

by Anonymousreply 12801/03/2013

Rebecca de Mornay and Mary Gross are... FEDS!

by Anonymousreply 12901/03/2013

Jimmy Fallon thought you had to fake crack up at everything to be funny. Not funny.

by Anonymousreply 13001/04/2013

Garrett Morris (shameful that he was hired as a token black!) Gilbert Gottfried Chris Kattan Chris Farley Goat Boy - don't even recall his name

I loved Horation Sanz (who, incidentally, is HOT now that he has lost weight! and I love Kenan Thompson. I don't know why these two are getting hate.

by Anonymousreply 13101/04/2013

I forgot Melanie Hutsell. Not only did she suck and play the same character all time time. She was a mouth breather.

by Anonymousreply 13201/04/2013

Kenan Thompson is easily the worst SNL performer of the modern era. Truly execrable.

by Anonymousreply 13301/04/2013

I hated Dennis what's-his-name, the snarky now republican WU host. Hated him then w/o knowing his politics. Agree that Victoria Jackson was among the worst, but so many cast members are completely un-memorable--that's got to count for something.

Agree Mark McKinney was supremely disappointing after coming off of KITH. Kenan Thompson has his moments, though mostly he just mugs for the camera. Farley also had his moments, but unfortunately his main schtick just involved breaking a piece of stage furniture in some way.

Meanwhile, Tracy Morgan was HORRIBLE. I liked the Jack Fellowes skits, but otherwise--so annoying.

by Anonymousreply 13401/04/2013

all great candidates R122

I do enjoy Ebersole's singing.

by Anonymousreply 13501/04/2013

R131 - "Garrett Morris (shameful that he was hired as a token black!"

Garrett was good. He may not have been as good as Belushi and Ackrod, but he was better than most. He definitively was better than Larraine Newman, the weakest link of the original cast.

by Anonymousreply 13601/04/2013

There are too many to mention but the worst have mostly been women and not without reasons.

I am a friend of Catherine O'Hara and she did not belong in that snake pit. It was a very tough gig for women for a long time. Catherine is pretty content and way too creative, humble and odd woman to regret missing out on SNL.

I am sure Tina Fey had a lot to do with turning things around. Not because she is funny - there was never a shortage of funny or popular women on the show, but because she is smart and had power and turned that show inside out without anyone on the outside knowing.

I am just gonna say that Jan Hooks and Phil Hartman were the best, ever.

by Anonymousreply 13701/04/2013

Handsome Charles Rocket cut his own throat and died in CT.

by Anonymousreply 13801/04/2013

We want to PUMP YOU UP, was the all-time most redundant and awful sketch ever endlessly performed on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 13901/04/2013

Do any of the people , other than Christine Ebersole, still have a career not involving K-Mart or McDonald's?

by Anonymousreply 14001/04/2013

I think the season that had Anthony Michael Hall, Robert Downey Jr and Joan Cusack were the absolute worst and I was a fan of all three at the time. Patently unfunny.

I think it's harder for actors who have already made their mark as individuals to go on to an esemble like SNL because their personal voice is missing. I think that's why Mark McKinney, Jeananne Garafalo and Michael McKean were terrible in their seasons.

R122, Wasn't Michael Richards on "Fridays"?

by Anonymousreply 14101/04/2013

R141, it was Danitra, not Dimitra.

Sadly, she died in 1994 of breast cancer at only 40 years old.

Lesbian, apparently, according to her bio.

by Anonymousreply 14201/04/2013

Of the current cast, Bobby Moynihan is the worst. So fucking annoying.

Will Forte, from a few seasons back was pretty awful too.

by Anonymousreply 14301/04/2013

Horatio Sans

by Anonymousreply 14401/04/2013

I just cant watch SNL anymore. There's something so cringeworthy about watching an improv actor who's starving for attention, trying to be funny and failing.

by Anonymousreply 14501/04/2013

Does anybody recall Rob Schneider's complete nudity in a baseball sketch? He held a popcorn box in front of his naughty bits.

Kenan Thompson is actually quite funny most of the time...c'mon, the Reba McEntire imitation? Hilarious...best of all is "What's Up With Dat?" very silly and hilarious, imho.

by Anonymousreply 14601/04/2013

The actors are not bad. It's the writing that is terrible. I can never understand why after so many horrible seasons, that the show is still on the air.

by Anonymousreply 14701/04/2013

Tina Fey was made head writer because there was a firestorm at the time about SNL being boy's club. Women had to fight like hell to get decent on-air time. Hooks and Dunn had the personalities to fight, but people like Garafola did not. This went on for twenty years until it was pointed out by former female cast members that they were relegated to second class status. Lorne Michaels said that he wasn't sexist, it's just that the alpha males came in and took over and the women didn't have the guts to do the same thing, so it was the women's fault. The very remark was sexist, so he quickly appointed Tina Fey head writer. And Amy Poehler decided to play the alpha male role and rode along on Fey's coattails.

by Anonymousreply 14801/04/2013

I never thought Tom Davis of Franken and Davis was funny.

by Anonymousreply 14901/04/2013

Kenan sucks

by Anonymousreply 15001/04/2013

The show still has a problem with women. They'll find one funny woman (Wiig) and it's her show for the next few yearswhile the other women are filler.

I am more than aware of Mad TV's limitations, but I did like it and they always, always gave the women more than enough to do on par with the men.

by Anonymousreply 15101/04/2013

I seemed like the women ruled MadTV. Wilson, Nicole Sullivan, Mo Collins, Stephnie Weir, etc... were funnier than the men.

by Anonymousreply 15201/04/2013

[quote]I forgot Melanie Hutsell. Not only did she suck and play the same character all time time. She was a mouth breather.

She was hired on the strength of her Jan in "The Real Live Brady Bunch", which was a sensation in NYC in the early 90s and kickstarted the Brady Bunch nostalgia wave. Beyond that, she didn't have much to contribute, or at least she didn't know how to fight behind the scenes to contribute more.

I do remember one skit they did based on "The Crucible" in which she played a Dutch woman and said a line that ended in "...just because we're from Holland!" My friends and I watching at the time laughed hysterically at that for some reason (drunk), and it's remained a catchphrase among us all these years later.

by Anonymousreply 15301/04/2013

Melanie Hutsell had a tiny role in "Bridesmaids", for about 15 seconds of screen time, as one of Kristen Wiig's tennis partners.

by Anonymousreply 15401/04/2013

Someone mentioned Terry Sweeney, and I looked up his wikipedia entry out of curiosity... I was interested to read this:

"While at SNL, he faced many hardships from both the writers and cast because of his sexuality, especially from Chevy Chase."

Anyone know what that's about?

by Anonymousreply 15501/04/2013

I thought Terry Sweeney's Nancy Reagan was pretty unfunny and off-target.

by Anonymousreply 15601/04/2013

[quote]"While at SNL, he faced many hardships from both the writers and cast because of his sexuality, especially from Chevy Chase."

[quote]Anyone know what that's about?

Chevy Chase guest-hosted during the 80s and was a complete homophobic cunt to Terry Sweeney.

by Anonymousreply 15701/04/2013

Charles Rocket killed himself by cutting his throat with two box cutters, one in each hand going in opposite directions. Guy really wanted to die. He was the best thing about the terrible "It's Pat" and really made you believe he was in love with Pat.

by Anonymousreply 15801/04/2013

One if the things Chevy Chase did was suggest to Terry Sweeney that the latter do a recurring bit where he was weighed each week to see if he was losing weight due to AIDS. I'll always like Bill Murray for the fact that he threatened to punch out Chase after Chevy returned to SNL as host and picked on the women.

by Anonymousreply 15901/04/2013

MADTV was almost always much funnier than SNL. And yes, women (mentioned by R152) were given equal time on MADTV, along with some great male performers, esp Michael McDonald, Will Sasso, Ike Barenholtz, Phil LaMarr (so cute!), Andrew Bowen (cute!)

by Anonymousreply 16001/04/2013

Taran was also on MadTV but I don't even remember him. If Lorne was going to go after him, why not Debra Wilson, who'd smoke everyone on the cast?

by Anonymousreply 16101/04/2013

From what I heard, Michaels had a policy of "if you were on Mad TV, you'd never be on SNL." Taran Killam was only on Mad TV as a featured player for a handful of episodes years earlier and when SNL hired him, Mad TV was already long gone.

Obviously, many of the cast members of both shows must have known one another before they started on either as they all came from the same improv background. (And, of course, Seth and Josh Myers are a given.)

Still funny whenever Mo Collins pops up on "Parks and Recreation" to give Amy Poehler trouble.

by Anonymousreply 16201/04/2013

For me it was Norm McDonald. He spoke with the same flat monotone in everything and his stint at the Weekend Update desk was painfully bad. I don't think I laughed at a single thing he ever did and I never understood his popularity.

by Anonymousreply 16301/04/2013

Horatio Sanz owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 16401/04/2013

[quote]Taran was also on MadTV but I don't even remember him.

He was only 19. He basically just played kids.

by Anonymousreply 16501/04/2013

I always loved the original cast but hated Chevy Chase. Mainly because I knew him in the early '70s and found him to be a pile of shit as a person. Very arrogant, rude, self-serving, selfish, and I never found him to be funny. Maybe because I knew him to be such a prick. I know people in the business who say he's actually gotten worse with age. I feel for them.

by Anonymousreply 16601/04/2013

Phil Hartman had the fortune of being handsome as well as being funny. He had many characters which he owned and who probably couldn't be played by anyone else. He also had the success of going from SNL to another popular show, "Radio News".

by Anonymousreply 16701/04/2013

I have to go with Chevy Chase.

As a kid, I laughed at Dan Ackroyd's Jimmy Carter; he had the voice and persona down pat.

But I never got how or why we were supposed to think that Chevy Chase was Gerald Ford. He just played himself and then fell.

by Anonymousreply 16901/05/2013

[quote] He also had the success of going from SNL to another popular show, "Radio News".

That's NEWS RADIO.

by Anonymousreply 17001/05/2013

Pretty much all of them since 1979/80. The show needs to die off in a bad way. They keep it on cause there is nothing else at night on..IF you're even home. It SUCKS mad donkey balls. MAdtv was way better. As was In Living COlor. At least they died with dignity.

by Anonymousreply 17101/05/2013

keenan Thompson Keenan Thompson Keenan Thompson Keenan Thompson

by Anonymousreply 17201/05/2013

Phil Hartman was amazing. He did the definitive Clinton - the one with him walking into McDonalds and talking to folks while chowing down on their food got to the essence of Clinton. He was also great at inventing characters.

by Anonymousreply 17301/05/2013

I loved Phil Hartman, he was a brilliant comedic actor. What a horrible, sensless death.

by Anonymousreply 17401/05/2013

I love Chris Rock, but never thought he was funny on SNL. They never gave him any good material.

by Anonymousreply 17501/05/2013

Garrett Morris was older than the rest of the cast, as well as Black. I think he got shut out of moments to shine and because of that was willing to do the drag bits, Chico Esquela, etc.

Victoria Jackson--can't remember a thing she did. I'd imagine she was as crazy then as she is now.

by Anonymousreply 17601/05/2013

I loved Kenan as a child actor, especially on Kenan and Kel and his guest spots on The Steve Harvey show (also with Kel Mitchell). I think though that Kel was the better comedian of the two and I have no idea why Kenan is the one whose career took off. As an adult Kenan has not nurtured his talents and his delivery is just flat. He has no versatility and brings the same energy and tone to every character he plays.

Also, as someone who used to watch BET a lot, the What Up With That sketch is stupid, no such show exists or has existed on that channel in the 20 years that I have watched it. If you are going to mock a tv station, at least be accurate and mock it for the actual debaucherous mess that it is, not some ignorant unrelated stupidity imagined in the mind of someone who clearly has never watched the channel. I have the same critique for that Prince sketch.

Oh, and sorry but John Balushi was never funny to me.

by Anonymousreply 17701/05/2013

I agree that Kel was definitely more talented, R177. Googly-eyed, one-note Kenan is just terrible.

by Anonymousreply 17801/05/2013

There was a period where MadTv was much funnier than SNL, especially with the "Pretty White Kids with Problems" sketch and the Whitney and Bobby sketch. Then they fired everyone who was ever funny on that show (all at once too) and it all went to shit.

Deborah Wilson is brilliant and an example of why SNL's no black women ever policy is stupid. (yeah I know Maya Rudolph is mixed, but most people can't tell).

by Anonymousreply 17901/05/2013

Nora Dunn was on tonight's episode of "The Neighbors."

by Anonymousreply 18001/09/2013

Tonight's "Suburgatory" was a regular SNL reunion. Regulars Chris Parnell and Ana Gasteyer, with guest Tim Meadows.

by Anonymousreply 18101/10/2013

R181 - who?? *yawn*

by Anonymousreply 18201/10/2013

Ellen Cleghorne, R179?

by Anonymousreply 18301/10/2013

You have got to be kidding r183. In the entire history of that show they have had 3 black female cast members and that's only if you count Maya Rudolph who looked ridiculous playing Oprah.

They have a good long list of black men that have worked on the show, but in over 35 years just three black women.

by Anonymousreply 18401/11/2013

Comedy is like music. IT IS SUBJECTIVE. You can't declare somebody not funny. I personally thought everybody you just ranked on were the most funny SNL players. So there you go being needlessly cruel as if these people aren't real human beings. Trust me they are.

by Anonymousreply 18510/10/2014

[quote] Belushi, who I always thought wasn't funny. Belushi also didn't think women were funny

Too bad one of the women didn't shoot him in the nuts -- I mean he was going to die anyway.

by Anonymousreply 18610/10/2014

Rob Schneider. Just HORRIBLE! He must have some pictures of Hollywood bigshots fucking farm animals or something because it just boggles my mind how such an untalented and unfunny douche like this keeps getting jobs.

by Anonymousreply 18710/10/2014

Chris Farley. A lot of useless screaming and yelling from a drugged out has- been. Really got on my nerves.

by Anonymousreply 18810/10/2014

Not one mention of that heat-seeking turd who did Goatboy?

Cheri Oteri was pretty horrible as well. I cringed at her Judge Judy skit.

by Anonymousreply 18910/10/2014

Kenan Thompson. He is seriously not funny at all.

by Anonymousreply 19010/10/2014

Agree about Kenan. He is terrible.

Sad to hear bad stuff about Chevy Chase. I always thought he was so hot.

by Anonymousreply 19110/10/2014

Brad Hall should never stop thanking god for the day he met Julia Louis Dreyfus

by Anonymousreply 19210/10/2014

I have to admit I laughed at Norm McDonald's Bob Dole in The Real World and that I do believe McDonald, who became a conservative dolt, helped deliver a second term to Bill Clinton.

Well done, Norm. Hah haa.

by Anonymousreply 19310/10/2014

Jayne Curtain was awful. She should've been tossed off not Chevy Chase.

by Anonymousreply 19410/10/2014

Cheri otero was always trying too hard to get a successful repetitive character. "Settle down now!!"

"It's my ball now, do you hear me?"

And the unfunny prescription drug lady

by Anonymousreply 19510/10/2014

r194,

It's Jane.

And you are completely wrong.

You ignorant slut.

by Anonymousreply 19610/10/2014

No doubt Victoria Jackson is a useless sack of goat shit in real life but she was really not that bad on the show.

Will Ferrell, Kristen Wiig and Cheri Oteri are my least favorite cast members of all time. Will and Cheri were always too big with their schtick for me, with Cheri being particularly exhausting and unwatchable. Kristen Wiig is actually a good comic actor but produced a string of one-note characters I could never stand on premise alone. Like that deformed singer who was the butt of all the jokes.

by Anonymousreply 19710/10/2014

[quote]Brad Hall should never stop thanking god for the day he met Julia Louis Dreyfus

I sat beside him on a flight once. He was so somber and reserved. I peeked over his shoulder to read the shit he was writing in his Moleskine, but I couldn't read his damn chickscratch. Anyway, it was surprising to see how completely humorless he was.

by Anonymousreply 19810/10/2014

Except for the chee-burger sketches, I never found John Belushi to be funny on SNL. He was drugged-out frat boy humor at its worst. I never liked his bullying personality either. He was the worst of the original cast.

But I loved all the rest of the original cast.

by Anonymousreply 19910/10/2014

Victorian Jackson may be the worst human being in an SNL cast (she may have lots of competition)--I couldn't say about her comparative comic skills, other than she was the worst embodiment of the "little girl voice dumb blond" stereotype I've ever seen. But maybe that--other than the blonde hair, about which I must plead ignorance--wasn't acting.

by Anonymousreply 20010/10/2014

I finally managed to recall one instance where Victoria Jackson was humorous: she played Eydie Gorme in those Sinatra sketches, where she and Steve Lawrence were his obsequious sidekicks. Her nasal "That's right, Frankie!" and "You tell 'em, Chairman!" always tickled me.

One person I haven't seen mentioned yet is JIM Belushi. Now there's one I can't remember laughing at much. There was that one filmed piece at the nightclub where he stuffs the entire contents of the men's room into his crotch, but any of the guys could have done that gag.

by Anonymousreply 20110/10/2014

There have been so, so many, the mind boggles. It's the reason the standouts like Phil and Jan really, really stand out.

by Anonymousreply 20210/10/2014

Not my favorite player but Jackson did a spot-on impersonation of Roseanne.

The worst no-talent player was Sanz.

by Anonymousreply 20310/10/2014

Victoria Jackson was also on the short-lived and completely forgotten Spy Magazine TV.

by Anonymousreply 20410/10/2014

Horatio Sanz for me was always a question mark - he was on for 8 painful years.

It boggles my mind what the selection process is for this show. There are so many talented and funny improv workers and comedians - shouldn't there be at least one or two each year who are stars?

Lorne Michaels just keeps punishing us with unfunny casts time and time again. It's truly a wonder how this show is still on almost 40 years later.

by Anonymousreply 20510/10/2014

[quote]WORST SNL ACTOR

You may as well randomly select anyone from the current cast. Take your pick.

by Anonymousreply 20610/10/2014

Horatio Sanz, Jimmy Fallon, John Belushi, and Jim Belushi are in a tie for the top spot as worst actor.

by Anonymousreply 20710/10/2014

Well crap, I forgot about Rob Schneider and Jim Breuer. Now it's a 6-way tie.

by Anonymousreply 20810/10/2014

I liked Horatio Sanz's Elton John impersonation. That is it.

You can name any black cast member except Eddie Murphy on this list. SNL hires the least funny black people. The guy that was hit by a Wal-Mart truck a few months ago I think is the worst.

by Anonymousreply 20910/10/2014

It's interesting. Reading through this list, I agree with so many of these choices. Apparently, the vast majority of the SNL cast over the past 40 years have been mediocre and below. I saw names that I hadn't thought of in years.

The shining stars are few & far between.

by Anonymousreply 21010/10/2014

[quote]You can name any black cast member except Eddie Murphy on this list. SNL hires the least funny black people.

Please, Chris Rock was great.

by Anonymousreply 21110/10/2014

Hands down: Victoria Jackson. Worst ______ actor. (Fill in the blank - anything is appropriate).

I love Melanie Hutsell. She might not have all 88 keys, but she did real well with the range she had. I guess that's why I can still remember her sketches.

But Victoria Jackson is the be-all, end-all cork soaker.

by Anonymousreply 21210/10/2014

Norm McDonald

by Anonymousreply 21310/10/2014

R211 He wasn't funny on SNL. He is a great stand-up comedian.

by Anonymousreply 21410/10/2014

Melanie Hutsell was great in the Tri-Delta sketch. Her Jan Brady, along with her more current Paula Deen, seems forced and unnatural, like she's trying too hard.

by Anonymousreply 21510/10/2014

Wasn't it Hutsell's Jan Brady, and SOLELY her Jan Brady that got her the job in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 21610/10/2014

That's the way I remember it, VOTN.

by Anonymousreply 21710/10/2014

I never watched SNL..never..because the much funnier SCTV was on at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 21810/10/2014

I mean, I guess the sketch where Susan Dey hosted and they did The Partridge Family vs The Brady Bunch was funny, but that's a long way to go just for one sketch.

We're in a curious place now where, between Kate McKinnon, Aidy Bryant and I'm going to cautiously say Cecily Strong that the women are far and away funnier than the men. They've got Taran Killam and that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 21910/10/2014

[quote]I never watched SNL..never..because the much funnier SCTV was on at the same time.

Not when they were both on NBC.

by Anonymousreply 22010/10/2014

Jason Sudekis, Kenan Thompson. One is gone, one is going. Both were/are awful and unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 22110/10/2014

[quote]They've got Taran Killam and that's about it.

Interestingly, he came from MadTV.

by Anonymousreply 22210/10/2014

Kevin Nealon

by Anonymousreply 22310/10/2014

Agree with r214. Chris Rock was terrible on SNL. I was shocked when I first heard his stand-up and laughed out loud. I guess he's just not so good at sketch comedy.

by Anonymousreply 22410/10/2014

Definitely poor Melanie Hudsell, who I think may have been plucked out of the crowd too soon. She was young and not that experienced, but did a dead-on parody of that Brady girl in a Chicago production of The Real Live Brady Bunch...I think that was the title. the very funny Jane Lynch was in it, so why she wasn't picked up is a mystery to me.

Unfortunately everything Melanie did on SNL was a variation of Jan Brady.

Still, that was pretty damn lucky for her, and she's making a return. Good to see she made the most of her big break.

by Anonymousreply 22510/10/2014

Melanie had a really funny face that made me want to laugh. Some SNL performers just have faces or personalities that make you want to laugh even before they've done anything funny. Gilda Radner is the premiere example but others are Hutsell, Chris Farley, Andy Samburg, Aidy Bryant, Vanessa Bayer, Cheri Oteri, Chris Kattan, Rachel Dratch. (And no, I'm not comparing Hutsell's talent to Radner or anyone else.)

by Anonymousreply 22610/10/2014

Janeane Garofalo. She did that odd thing where she gets the job and then sabotages herself. She barely even tried on the show.

by Anonymousreply 22710/10/2014

Rich Hall was horrible. He ended up moving to the UK where he's had a decent career due to their lower standards.

by Anonymousreply 22810/10/2014

[quote]Not one mention of that heat-seeking turd who did Goatboy?

Try reading the thread before you post, R189: Jim Breuer as Goatboy had been mentioned at least a half-dozen times!

by Anonymousreply 22910/11/2014

My loathing for Sandler (and Farley, R.I.P) is eternal. I only see overaggressive witlessness (and how Michaels could recognize the brilliance of KITH while inflicting those two on the world is beyond me). As Michael O'Donoghue might say, "The Angel Of Talent passed over these people."

I'd nominate "Gap Girls" for the worst-ever recurring sketch in the show's history because the only emotion it ever inspired in me might be near-murderous rage.

by Anonymousreply 23010/11/2014

Humor appreciation is most assuredly subjective. While Kenan Thompson has been named on almost half of the posts as least talented SNL player, I absolutely love him. There are very few people who never fail to make me laugh, but Kenan sure is one of them. I love his delivery---I would probably laugh at him reading the Yellow Pages.

My least favorite: Chevy Chase, Sweeney, Jim Breuer, and the entire cast the year in which RDJ and AMH were on.

by Anonymousreply 23110/11/2014

Are we simply ignoring / overlooking the Jean Doumanian (sp?) season?

by Anonymousreply 23210/11/2014

And to think, if things had gone according to plan, Al Franken wouldn't be a senator now.

by Anonymousreply 23310/11/2014

[quote] the entire cast the year in which RDJ and AMH were on

Nora Dunn and Jon Lovitz joined the cast that year, so I wouldn't say the whole cast was bad. But it definitely was a bad season.

by Anonymousreply 23410/11/2014

Quote[Are we simply ignoring / overlooking the Jean Doumanian (sp?) season?]

Did that season really happen? Or was it a figment of our collective imaginations?

by Anonymousreply 23510/11/2014

That season was like the Dallas season that turned out to be Pam's dream. Terry Sweeney was the Anjelica Nero of SNL.

by Anonymousreply 23610/12/2014

And Dennis Miller r234. I know we all like to deny it now because of his politics but he was great. I was disappointed the Alec Baldwin episode tonight didn't save room for update.

And yet the SNLs with Seth Meyers as anchor always manage to keep THAT in its reruns.

by Anonymousreply 23710/12/2014

Kristen Wiggs, painfully unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 23810/12/2014

[R229] I thought Stevie Nicks did goatboy.

by Anonymousreply 23910/26/2014
Need more help? Click Here.