Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BROADWAY ACTORS - who is the nastiest person on Broadway?

Debra Monk - worked with her on Steel Pier. Foul-mouthed and bitchy.

Tom Wopat - EGO!!!

Your stories??

by Anonymousreply 60001/09/2011

And the Rebecca Luker Troll will be finding this thread in 3.... 2..... 1......

by Anonymousreply 205/26/2010

Don't even...

by Anonymousreply 305/26/2010

I KNOW you aren't planning on taking flash photographs during a performance! I might have to take the Equity Fights AIDS bucket (which I refuse to shill for) and hit you over the head with it!

by Anonymousreply 405/26/2010

I'll spit in your face onstage and then lullaby you to sleep with my melodious voice ... in Yiddish

by Anonymousreply 605/26/2010

Debra Monk is a sweetheart. Foul-mouthed perhaps, but a sweetheart.

by Anonymousreply 705/26/2010

Spit? You're an amateur sir. I'll stab you in the ass onstage during a performance if I think your performance is sub-par.

by Anonymousreply 805/26/2010

Carol Channing.

by Anonymousreply 905/26/2010

Buncha fuckin amateurs compared to me baby!

by Anonymousreply 1005/26/2010

by Anonymousreply 1105/26/2010

what is Christian Borle like?

by Anonymousreply 1205/26/2010

r12 - Aside from the fact that he was knee-deep inside Laura Bell Bundy's twat during the run of LEGALLY BLONDE, he's a really sweet guy with a really bad thyroid condition.

by Anonymousreply 1305/26/2010

Carol Channing?

I've heard she's crazy -- and I've heard she's "crazy like a fox" but I've never heard any stories about her being nasty.

by Anonymousreply 1405/26/2010

Carol is not nasty, but her ass is a-maize-ing

by Anonymousreply 1505/26/2010

Christian Borle is adorkable. I did find it weird that every lead from Legally Blonde showed up on the MTV show except him, though, does anyone know if there's a story there?

by Anonymousreply 1605/26/2010

Mandy Patinkin and Nicol Williamson both are probably the lowest of the low--many people will literally not work with either of them. Both of them physically assaulted co-stars on stage--Williamson, in fact, has done this several times (and once announced walked offstage during a Broadway run as Hamlet after announcing he was quitting acting forever).

I would say the difference between the two is that many actors generally admire Williamson, while no one except little old Jewish ladies from Roslyn and Teaneck admire Patinkin.

by Anonymousreply 1705/27/2010

Anthony Quinn was a real jerk when he did ZORBA.

by Anonymousreply 1905/27/2010

Lauren Bacall-- swore at one stage hand every night and twice on matinee days, during the run of APPLAUSE. She loathed that poor guy.

by Anonymousreply 2005/27/2010

I adore him and his tbcjscpctscroc, but let's not forget that, in a fit of DIVA hissy, Raul slapped that little Chitty girl when she refused to get in the car for the climatic Act One scene.

by Anonymousreply 2105/27/2010

But I still loves me some Raul and he could slap me silly all the way to Kingdom come.

by Anonymousreply 2205/27/2010

At Seth Chatter boxes Victoria Clark talked about how mean Nathen Lanes was when she went on for sick Faith in Guys and Doll

Marya nn

by Anonymousreply 2305/27/2010

Don't forget me.

I derailed Lone Star Love the day the Marque went up at the Belasco, was banned from Equity (for life) and have yet to pay the $250K fine against me.

by Anonymousreply 2405/27/2010

I love hearing these stories! Please if accusing anyone give evidence to back up your claim.

by Anonymousreply 2605/27/2010

Remember poor little Bellamy Young, who accidentally stepped on Bebe Neuwirth's foot during the Sweet Charity benefit concert? She's never been back on Broadway again!

Not to mention Tony winner Michael Maguire, who used to physically abuse his then-unknown girlfriend Susan Stroman. How's his career doing?

by Anonymousreply 2705/27/2010

What did Maguire win a Tony for?

by Anonymousreply 2805/27/2010

Les Miserables

by Anonymousreply 3005/27/2010

Why did she hated him R20?

More about Maguire and Stroman

by Anonymousreply 3105/27/2010

There are those on Broadway that wouldn't piss up Mandy Patinkin's flabby ass if his guts were on fire.

The rest of those on Broadway would set the first at risk to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 3205/27/2010

[quote]I've never heard any stories about her being nasty.

You need to read DIARY OF A MAD PLAYWRIGHT. It's hilarious. The author does recount some nastiness on Carol's part, mostly aimed at Mary Martin. In her defense, some of that was due to Martin's unreliability. Channing must have been frightened and heartsick at having to go on in a conspicuous fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 3305/27/2010

Does Tovah really organize cast picnics?

by Anonymousreply 3405/27/2010

If anyone wants to read R33's suggestion of 'Diary of a Mad Playwright', it was written by James Kirkwood, who also collaborated on the book for 'A Chorus Line'.

by Anonymousreply 3505/27/2010

R31-- From the first day of tech out of town the stage hand didn't kowtow to her, didn't call her Miss Bacall. He just was there to do his job. This I heard from a friend who was in the ensemble and later toured with Bacall when she took the show out.

by Anonymousreply 3605/27/2010

R34-- the story goes that Feldshuh felt that the cast (some regional production) thought she was a diva and kept to herself. She told the director and stage manager that she could feel the company tension and that the tension was playing havoc with her abilities to perform and to be the best. So, in the spirit of 'Tovah Good Will' she planned a picnic. She said she was throwing a picnic for the entire company. She then proceeded to put up a sign up list. Tovah told the company manager that she'd bring paper plates. Everyone was under the impression that she had invited them and that she was paying for it.

by Anonymousreply 3705/27/2010

R27- Got it right. All hell broke loose backstage after poor little Bellamy stepped on Neuwirth's foot.

by Anonymousreply 3805/27/2010

More, dolls, more!!

by Anonymousreply 3905/27/2010

Isn't that Tovah story from her Papr Mill Hello Dolly!?

by Anonymousreply 4005/27/2010

Marc, Didn't Mandy get back at you that one performance when he kissed you full on the mouth and bit your lip drawing blood?

by Anonymousreply 4205/27/2010

R40- I don't think so. I believe it was before she played Dolly. But I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4305/27/2010

R42, Brooke Baby, Not as much as when I "forgot" to wear my spirit belt 7 out of 8 performances a week for the rape scene. If you were on the rag by then you coulda gotten pregnant, thank god you were too young.

by Anonymousreply 4405/27/2010

What's a "spirit belt"?

by Anonymousreply 4505/27/2010

I guess the belt buckle emits cosmic rays that kill sperm.

by Anonymousreply 4605/27/2010

Like a cock sock R45- Covered up his privates while he simulated sexual rape of Brooks Sunny in The Wild Party.

by Anonymousreply 4705/27/2010

"Channing must have been frightened and heartsick at having to go on in a conspicuous fiasco ["Legends!"]." "Legends!" ran for a year on the road, pretty good for such an awful play. According to Kirkwood's book, Channing was cast only because Mary Martin insisted, no one else wanted Channing because she so associated with the "Hello, Dolly" character.

by Anonymousreply 4805/27/2010

Anything on Gregg Edelman? I never hear any gossip about him.

I have a massive thing for his voice. His looks are fine, decent enough, but his voice totally drives me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 4905/27/2010

"Williamson, in fact, has done this several times (and once announced walked offstage during a Broadway run as Hamlet after announcing he was quitting acting forever)." Didn't I read this story (as told by the actor it happened to) in "Time on Fire"? by Evan Handler? Or am I confusing his anecdote of an actor being completely unprofessional (somewhat of a scandal, but he underplayed it in the book, which was mostly about his time with CML)?

by Anonymousreply 5005/27/2010

Anyone know the story of Colm Wilkinson and Rebecca Caine during the Canadian "Phantom?" If I remember, she had him up on charges, but I never heard the actual story.

by Anonymousreply 5105/27/2010

It's Carmello, r 52. But I'm sure you're not the only other person who calls her this...

by Anonymousreply 5305/27/2010

[quote]"Legends!" ran for a year on the road, pretty good for such an awful play.

Yes, but most of Carol's nastiness seems to have come out early in the run when Mary would go up on her lines on a nightly basis. Carol would be left to flail and scowl and improvise, trying all the while to indicate to the audience that it was not SHE who was responsible for this mess.

Apparently they were doing a press event where Carol told reporters the show would be great "once Mary learns her lines." The production team had to issue a statement assuring ticket buyers that Mary was doing just great even though they knew she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 5405/27/2010

You made me laugh, R53. I stand corrected.

And I love her voice, and LOVE Greg Edelman's voice. I always think if he were a little more conventionally handsome, or more extroverted, or something, he could have been an even bigger star.

by Anonymousreply 5505/27/2010

I've always thought so as well, R52. He did clean up well to be prince charming in Into the Woods, but even then, something visually was just a little off.

But god, that voice, I love. And it's great to hear he's a good guy.

by Anonymousreply 5605/27/2010

R52, you'll be happy to know that you're not alone in thinking that Carolee Carmello is a doll. About 10-12 years back, the LA-based "Reprise" theater group did a staging of "Bells are Ringing," and Carolee knocked it out of the park. A very gracious lady with an infectious laugh, and very appreciative and "huggy" with the show's crew.

by Anonymousreply 5705/27/2010

Any dirt on Cheyenne Jackson? How is he to work with?

by Anonymousreply 5805/27/2010

Cheyenne is a doll, couldn't be sweeter, more charming, more helpful, more self-deprecating.

But don't get me started on Lea Delaria...

by Anonymousreply 5905/27/2010

r 53: I am totally gonna to refer to her as Carolee Caramello from now on. It fits that she's so sweet, she has a candy bar named after her!

by Anonymousreply 6005/27/2010

Dana Ivey would be our Judi Dench if she wasn't such a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6105/28/2010

cheyenne is sweet to work with, and he always makes fun of his big ass

by Anonymousreply 6205/28/2010

Oh the stories I could tell about the late Helen Hayes.

She liked to torture small children, and would frequently shove the young Brandon de Wilde into moving scenery backstage during the run of "Mrs. McThing" just to hear him howl. And she would extinguish cigarettes on the foreheads of stagehands during the run of "Mary of Scotland."

by Anonymousreply 6305/28/2010

She kicked me in the balls nightly during the run of Victoria Vagina, R63.

by Anonymousreply 6405/28/2010

LuPone tragedy

by Anonymousreply 6605/28/2010

The suicidal husband was listening to the "Anything Goes" revival album when he went off that cliff, R66.

Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 6705/28/2010

Needed - morning dose of Bway nastiness please!

by Anonymousreply 6805/28/2010

Helen Lawson? Mmm, mm, mm. That's one fine woman there. Yes sir. Better NO one say nothin' bad about Helen Lawson. Uh-uh. Coarse she knocked back booze like there was no tomorrow because she didn’t like the dolls. But I ain't one to gossip, so you didn't hear that from me.

by Anonymousreply 6905/28/2010

Edelman is duller than watching paint dry, and I've seen him in at least 4 Broadway leads. My thought is always, "Wow, did anyone decent even audition?" Hes also one of those sexless almost gay seeing straight guys. Why bother getting a straight guy like him, if you can get a lusty gay?

by Anonymousreply 7005/28/2010

Mme LuPone takes the prize. I had the unfortuante pleasure (?) of working with her in "Can-Can" in La Jolla, "Sweeney Todd" and "Annie". First of all, Ms. Mumbles, blows out her vocal chord at the drop of a hat and is gone for ages then, when she returns, reblocks and rewrites the show during performances. A totally impossible bitch to work with that writes up everyone that crosses her to Equity. They hate her, too!

by Anonymousreply 7105/28/2010

I'm so tired of this Tovah picnic story.

Tovah on almost all of her shows organizes a full company gathering. Usually at her home. They're always pot luck in nature - with Tovah providing most of the food. Yes, there is a sign up sheet - but they are never billed as anything but what they are.

I've been to a few of them, I know.

Yes, Tovah can be a bit much at times. However, anyone who has worked with her knows that she is a gracious and good company leader and is usually well liked by the company.

She's a pro.

by Anonymousreply 7205/28/2010

When and where did LuPone do Annie, r71? and Can-Can in La Jolla?

by Anonymousreply 7305/29/2010

More LuPone stories!

by Anonymousreply 7405/29/2010

LuPone never did Annie.

by Anonymousreply 7505/29/2010

I would KILL to see Patti LuPone as Annie!

by Anonymousreply 7605/29/2010

LuPone did "Can-Can" at Encores, not LaJolla, and I assume the reference is to "Annie Get Your Gun," which LuPone has done at least once in concert.

by Anonymousreply 7705/29/2010

Nathan outcunts Patti every time.

by Anonymousreply 7805/29/2010

Colm was too aggressive onstage during POTO, changed blocking and allegedy broke her arm or wrist

by Anonymousreply 7905/29/2010

You can't trust most of what Kirkwood says in "Diary" because he was so fucked on up coke. A small but significant error he makes in the book is when he says that Trish Garland came in to choreography a number and she looked so much prettier and sexier than when she played Bebe on Broadway in ACL. Problem is that Trish played the pretty and sexy Judy Turner and Nancy Lane played the Jewish schlub Bebe.

by Anonymousreply 8005/30/2010

Nathan can be a prick to anyone who he doesn't feel is worthy of sharing the stage with him.

On the flip side of that, Matthew Broderick is one of the truly nicest actors around.

by Anonymousreply 8105/30/2010

Can we also talk about who is the STUPIDEST?

by Anonymousreply 8205/30/2010

That was the gist of what Vicki Clark said about him, r 81. When she went on for Faith Prince in GUYS AND DOLLS Lane was obnoxiously condescending towards her... treated her like she was dirt underneath his feet.

by Anonymousreply 8305/30/2010

The problem with Maguire isn't that he's a beater, it's that he's stiffer than a statue on stage.

Also, as pretty as he used to be, he can't act AT ALL....can barely speak in fact.

That's why there is no career.

Pretty guys who sing well are dime a dozen...if they can act, then they move on, if not, they don't

by Anonymousreply 8506/01/2010

I was discussing this thread with a Broadway producer friend. He wanted to be sure Bebe Neuwirth was getting her due on here.

by Anonymousreply 8606/01/2010

You see r81 it's not wise to tell lies here. Others, unlike yourself, know what they are talking about.

So you don't like LuPone, big deal. To make up examples where you claim to have worked with her is laughable - maybe you didn't realise you weren't in La Jolla?

The bitterness is strong in this one!

by Anonymousreply 8706/01/2010

Bebe is the worst.

by Anonymousreply 8806/01/2010

Kristi Dawn not the nicest little thing with the front of house staff. And that includes the orchestra! She'd better watch it or the members of the orchestra could jack with her tempos.

by Anonymousreply 8906/01/2010

Is Bebe THAT powerful? How can she keep Bellamy Young away from Broadway?

At least Young isn't doing so bad

by Anonymousreply 9006/01/2010

CZJ loves her booze. Each performance, the cast never knows which one will show up - the nice, sweet CZJ or nasty, rude CZJ. I never cared one way or another about her. Now I love her.

by Anonymousreply 9206/02/2010

You could also nominate the miserable bitch, Nathan Lane.

by Anonymousreply 9306/02/2010

CZJ and booze. I heard that rumor last week. Now it's been DL confirmed. LOL

by Anonymousreply 9506/02/2010

r81 - In addition to the story of how Nathan Lane would barely look at Victoria Clark whenever she went on as Adelaide in the GUYS & DOLLS revival, he was also notoriously nasty to understudies at THE PRODUCERS.

One story I've heard was when he showed up at the theatre and one of the two Leo Bloom understudies was dressed and ready to go on. Mr. Lane asked him what he was doing and the understudy told him Broderick was out that night and he was going on. "Not unless they want TWO understudies going on," Lane apparently huffed, "because if you're going on, I'm not."

by Anonymousreply 9606/02/2010

Does she drink in preparation for climibing on top of Michael?

by Anonymousreply 9706/02/2010

So, to recap, the three top Broadway cunts are Nathan Lane, Patti LuPone, and Bebe Neuwith. But Bebe isn't quite in the same nasty league as Nathan and Patti.

Betty Buckley is the chief crazy, which occasionally translates as "nasty."

Lauren Bacall is cunt emeritus.

by Anonymousreply 9806/02/2010

This thread is getting redundant. Someone make up some new stuff.

by Anonymousreply 9906/02/2010

r98, so what am I now, chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 10006/02/2010

r87 I am not telling lies. I know.

by Anonymousreply 10106/02/2010

r89, I'm always amazed that you surly, disrespectful musicians, with the manners of teenagers reading your newspaper while you're not playing, think you're somehow equal to the actors onstage.

by Anonymousreply 10206/02/2010

Like YOU could do what EITHER of us groups of performers do, r102? You sound like a bitter chorus boy who hasn't gotten a callback since '93.

by Anonymousreply 10306/02/2010

I don't know if he really counts, but Barrett Foa is a real asshole. Guy sucks.

by Anonymousreply 10406/02/2010

What's the story on the amazingly talented Brian Stokes Mitchell? He seems like quite the gentleman.

by Anonymousreply 10506/02/2010

[quote]Like YOU could do what EITHER of us groups of performers do

Computerized orchestras could very easily replace a live ones on Broadway. The majority of the audience would be none the wiser. Broadway sound is so amped and juiced nowadays that one seldom hears an appreciably live orchestra. Sentiment and thuggish unions are the only reason anyone gets paid to toot into a clarinet on a nightly basis.

by Anonymousreply 10606/02/2010

Please tell me R105 is joking.

by Anonymousreply 10706/02/2010

It's a perfectly innocent and sincere question r107. If you know likewise, spill it.

by Anonymousreply 10806/02/2010

r 104, I have been around a long time, and I haven't heard a thing about Foa being an asshole - he's known for being very nice - a real pro. He worked his way up the ropes from small parts on up.

But I can totally understand why someone would hate him. He's handsome, talented, comes from a rich family, is well-liked by his peers, and is working on a hit TV show.

by Anonymousreply 10906/02/2010

No my dear, R110, I am the opposite. I am all in favor of the return of live orchestras and un-miked singing to the Broadway stage. It won't happen because everyone insists on having "live theater" blasted at them as if it were a rock concert. Audiences have forgotten how to listen.

You really don't need live musicians to deliver the quality of sound that you get on Broadway today. Virtually no one would know the difference if they were to substitute a partial or entirely computer-sampled orchestra. This is especially true of shows where the orchestra isn't even in the auditorium but only being pied in from the basement or fifth floor.

p.s. The first thing you have to do when the actors take the stage is pretend you can't see that everyone has a translucent wart on their forehead or an antennae growing out one ear. It's unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 11106/02/2010

[quote]Barrett Foa is a real asshole. Guy sucks.

He certainly does, and he's very good at it.

by Anonymousreply 11206/03/2010

I DO do what one of you does. I'm an actor and am amazed by the attitudes of the musicians. Orchestras are the stars at a symphony or concert. In musical theatre, you're the supporting players. But you somehow think you're just as important as what goes on onstage. You're not. Not with the bad, disrespectful attitudes and the bad manners.

by Anonymousreply 11306/03/2010

r101 we know you are a liar. You claim to have worked with LuPone in La Jolla. Didn't happen doll. There are threads here from those in the know discrediting your fantasy - to be caught out in so blatant a lie is truly pathetic.

You know it, we know it - liar.

by Anonymousreply 11406/03/2010

R104- He's always been like that. Foa comes from money, a major trust fund baby.

by Anonymousreply 11506/03/2010

And he prefers older men. Now that he's in LA, it must be like Fantasyland.

by Anonymousreply 11606/03/2010

Trip Cullman comes from Upper East Side money, too.

And he apprenticed with Mantello.

That's why Trip's an asshole. Or, you can call him Edgar. He loves that.

by Anonymousreply 11706/06/2010

Bebe wants the sidewalks cleared of fans before she comes out the stage door.. some days and nights.

by Anonymousreply 11806/06/2010

bump for more Bebe "Splice" Neuwirth.

by Anonymousreply 11906/07/2010

LOL R120!! And so true.

by Anonymousreply 12106/07/2010

Burke Moses. I did 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' with him earlier this year and he's a rude, condescending dick. What he put his dresser through was absolutely ridiculous. She said that Moses was the worst actor she's ever dressed and this woman has dressed Bacall! %0D %0D During the meet and greet after the show he was unforgivably rude to his fans, going so far as to insult an older woman in an ECV. %0D %0D He really took the whole 'Gaston' thing to a whole new level. %0D %0D Asshat. %0D

by Anonymousreply 12212/16/2010

by Anonymousreply 12312/16/2010

Agreed on Burke Moses, R122. Total asshole - better known in the industry as Jerk Moses.

by Anonymousreply 12512/16/2010

Sondheim writes a nasty veiled dig at Lane in his new book, in reference to their 2004 collaboration on THE FROGS. "Huge ego" is the gist of it.

by Anonymousreply 12612/16/2010

Not much more to say on "Legends," but to verify that the producers never wanted Channing. I attended the performance where Channing asked for a public vote on whether Mary Martin's breaking up on a funny line was unprofessional (it's in James Kirkwood's book).%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 12712/18/2010

bumps Need more nasty actors for holiday read.%0D %0D %0D Mary an

by Anonymousreply 12812/18/2010

Tovah is not getting her due in this thread. She may be a pro, but she's also a vicious, narcissistic cunt. Ask anyone who worked at the Douglas Fairbanks Theater while she was doing her Tallulah Bankhead show. Ask the stage manager she tried to have fired. Ask the former house manager. More importantly... ask her dressers. Hoo-boy!

by Anonymousreply 12912/18/2010

Broadway Dresser of 20+ years

the worst:

Linda Lavin: nastiest woman I ever dressed. Nasty the first day, nasty straight through to the last day

Lauren Bacall: really demanding, nasty at first creates "little tests" but once she trusts you she is very sweet as long as you call her "Miss Bacall

Fortunately the there are many more who are extremely nice AND extremely talented:

In no particular order my these are the nicest people I dressed or a close colleague dressed not a complete list: Just what I remember off the top

Kate Burton, very nice never loses temper Vanessa Williams, classy, even tempered Fiona Shaw, saved a colleague from firing Helen Mirren, very nice, calm person Linda Muggleston, sweet Billy Crudup, nice self depracating think he got a bad rap for MLP, but nice to backstage Katie Finneran: sweet, a little daffy but never mean or demanding Frank Langella: suprisingly, others have had issues. He was nice from the beginning though I was warned he gets people fired. James Riordan, stood up for someone on the crew during a difficult tech, & really good actor. Michelle Pawk, sweetheart and so is hubby John Dossett

I could go on and on but probably nobody is interested in the nice ones.

Lavin & Bacall take the prize for worst with Lavin winning by more than a nose.

by Anonymousreply 13012/18/2010

Bacall always gets mentioned in the nasty threads, but in my one encounter with her she was polite and friendly. It was probably about 20 years ago, because it was right after Misery came out, and I told her I loved the movie and thought she was great in it. She grabbed my hand, thanked me, and said something about it being a small part, but she loved filming it. She then told me to enjoy my dinner (I saw her as she was exiting a restaurant that I was entering.) I think I did address her as "Miss Bacall" so maybe that's why she was so pleasant.

The nastiest celebrity I've ever encountered was Roseanne, but she's not a Broadway person.

by Anonymousreply 13112/18/2010

Jonathan Groff!

by Anonymousreply 13212/18/2010

I'm new to DL. I saw Jason Danieley and Marin Mazzie a week ago on Broadway in Next to Normal. They're married to each other and seem like really nice people. Any dirt on them? I've never heard anything either way on any other site.

by Anonymousreply 13312/18/2010

No mention of Stritch? That is surprising. Because in my book, until Rosie comes back to broadway (god help us), stritch wears the [LINE!] crown.

seriously. what a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 13412/18/2010

Bacall has a massive inferiority complex. She's probably all right so long as you treat her as a god-emperor at all times.

by Anonymousreply 13512/18/2010

r130, please DO go on! People are so fixated on nastiness (and yes I know that's the title of this thread) that hearing something nice about an actor is a refreshing change. 'Tis the season, after all.

And perhaps you could elaborate on some of the more surprising ones, like Langella, or maybe mention some of the ones who were in-between - not totally nasty, but not totally nice, either.

by Anonymousreply 13612/18/2010

Bebe is nasty and cold and ignorant -- even to her neighbours.

by Anonymousreply 13712/18/2010

Glad to hear something nice about Langella because in his middle-aged years he was one of the nastiest people backstage. Perhaps it was all very dependent on his personal life at the moment as he's had so many rocky relationships of both sexes.

by Anonymousreply 13812/18/2010

I wouldn't call Kevin Kline nasty exactly...but he sure ain't easy.

by Anonymousreply 13912/18/2010

[quote]Linda Lavin: nastiest woman I ever dressed. Nasty the first day, nasty straight through to the last day

Exactly how? We had a poster hear a while ago who was a dresser and seemed to expect a tip from the actor every twenty minutes. Was she a bad tipper?

by Anonymousreply 14012/18/2010

R138: What is Langella's deal?

by Anonymousreply 14112/18/2010

this is poster 130, I don't want to answer specific questions or give examples because they would make me identifiable.

by Anonymousreply 14212/19/2010

Just curious r130, did you say that Fiona Shaw saved Helen Mirren from being fired? Or did I misunderstand your post?

by Anonymousreply 14312/19/2010

Fiona Shaw saved a dresser from being fired because of something stupid that another actor blamed the dresser for.

Sorry for the run on phrases, damn blackberry

by Anonymousreply 14412/19/2010

Punctuation is your friend, r30. So the sentence "Fiona Shaw, saved a colleague from firing Helen Mirren, very nice, calm person" which sounds like Shaw is a nice, calm person who saved a colleague from firing Helen Mirren (I immediately thought Ian McKellen), actually should read:

Fiona Shaw, saved a colleague from firing; Helen Mirren, very nice, calm person ....

by Anonymousreply 14512/19/2010

Yeah, even Blackberries have punctuation keys ;>)

by Anonymousreply 14712/19/2010

LOL at 146

by Anonymousreply 14812/19/2010

I've heard that Danieley has a huge dick, too.

Surely someone saw it in "Full Monty" on one of the nights the back lights were delayed?

by Anonymousreply 14912/19/2010

Nathan Lane ego is beyond huge - it weighs several tons.%0D %0D Wasn't he behind David Strathairn's leaving the Roundabout GODOT a couple of years ago? Since the replacement was his pal John Glover (who was wonderful, fortunately, but probably no better than Strathairn would have been), I smelled pissy backstage politics.

by Anonymousreply 15012/19/2010

Don't know what happened with Godot, but from what I've heard David Strathairn would be part of R130s "nice" list.

by Anonymousreply 15112/19/2010

Has Nathan cut down on his drinking?

by Anonymousreply 15212/19/2010

David Strathairn is very cool, laid back no drama type of guy.

by Anonymousreply 15312/19/2010

[quote]Has Nathan cut down on his drinking?

by Anonymousreply 15412/19/2010

I'm pretty sure David Strathairn was replaced in Godot by John Glover, not John Goodman (who was always in it).%0D %0D Both Strathairn and Glover are two of the sweetest actors in the business. I've worked with both of them at earlier and later stages of their careers, and always found them generous and charming.%0D %0D Yes, Nathan is prickly and unpredictable!%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 15512/19/2010

Sondheim dissing Lane is rich. If it weren't for Lane's interest, THE FROGS would never have been mounted.%0D %0D And I don't care for Lane.

by Anonymousreply 15612/19/2010

by Anonymousreply 15712/20/2010

[quote]But don't get me started on Lea Delaria...%0D %0D That's the whole point of this thread, stupid. SPILL.

by Anonymousreply 15812/20/2010

Interestingly enough, nobody has supported OP's initial claims of Debra Monk and Tom Wopat in all these pages of posts.

by Anonymousreply 15912/20/2010

Bafoonery?%0D %0D What a bafoon!

by Anonymousreply 16012/20/2010

You made me laugh, Vanessa R! %0D (I printed that line from Reidel's column%0D and had it mounted above my desk).

by Anonymousreply 16112/20/2010

Thank you r161, for recognizing it is the bafoonery on Broadway that is killing us all!

I would like to say I give a shit who is nice to the dresser but I have more important things on my mind.

by Anonymousreply 16212/20/2010

Actually I met Wopat in Nashville. Very down to earth and friendly. I, too, was waiting for someone else to validate it,[r159]. He was actually quite self-deprecating which I found quite refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 16312/20/2010

You will go to your grave unsatisfied if you're waiting for any of the wingnuts on this site to verify the self-serving delusions they post regularly.

by Anonymousreply 16412/20/2010

sometimes people have a bad day and it gets institutionalized as systemic evil.

Debby Monk is not a bitch, don't know where that is coming from

by Anonymousreply 16512/20/2010

I understand, from a chorus boy friend, Wopat is great sex.... really great sex.

by Anonymousreply 16612/20/2010

"If it weren't for Lane's interest, THE FROGS would never have been mounted."

If it weren't for Broadway making Lane a star, HE would never have been mounted.

by Anonymousreply 16712/20/2010

Thank you [r166] I was getting that kind of vibe from him, i.e. available, but at the time I thought it was wishful thinking on my part. Such strong hands ...

by Anonymousreply 16812/20/2010

Ha Ha, r 167! So true!%0D %0D As could be seen in THE WEDDING PLANNER or MEMBER OF THE WEDDING or whatever it was that Harvey destroyed with his big ego.....Wopat is hung huge.

by Anonymousreply 16912/20/2010

It's Big Tom's MEMBER that I'll be PLANNING on WEDDING! Or at least going steady with for a while!%0D %0D I just took a muscle relaxant, and kids, this Belle is Ringing!%0D %0D Ha-ha, I'll say!

by Anonymousreply 17012/20/2010

"The nastiest celebrity I've ever encountered was Roseanne, but she's not a Broadway person."%0D %0D Well maybe if your friend wasn't shouting Butterfinger jokes at her across a restaurant she would've been nicer. Douchebag!%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 17112/20/2010

Jules Ochoa

by Anonymousreply 17212/20/2010

expect Julie Taymor to make this list when she has to step up and announce the closing of her show

by Anonymousreply 17312/21/2010

According to my uncle's cousin who worked with Lea Delaria, just so first in the 3rd degree.

by Anonymousreply 17412/21/2010

DeLaria got a warning from Facebook

by Anonymousreply 17512/21/2010

Joel Grey.

by Anonymousreply 17612/21/2010

Would 174 and 175 like to elaborate, or at least speak English?

by Anonymousreply 17712/21/2010

all this talk about nasty actors in this thread but not a mention of nasty producers, agents or directors.. pr people.. come on, the thread calls for the nastiest PERSON on broadway.

There have to be behind the scenes people who make Linda Lavin look like Louise Hay.

by Anonymousreply 17812/21/2010

OK,R178 Poison Ivey Long for starters

by Anonymousreply 17912/21/2010

[r176] Maybe that's just on stage -- tv shows he's just fine. Professional.

by Anonymousreply 18012/21/2010

He's earned that nickname for good reasons, R180.

Julie Taymor, duh. There's difficult and then there's physical torture.

by Anonymousreply 18112/21/2010

by Anonymousreply 18212/21/2010

My bad, R180. I completely misread your post & thought you were talking about William Ivey Long.

by Anonymousreply 18312/21/2010

There must be a lot of actual actors posting in this thread, because it's one of the most illiterate we've had in ages.

by Anonymousreply 18412/21/2010

what genius profession are you a member of r184?

by Anonymousreply 18512/21/2010

"I'm pretty sure David Strathairn was replaced in Godot by John Glover, not John Goodman (who was always in it)."%0D %0D If you read my post, I said Glover, not Goodman.%0D %0D Still waiting for an answer to my question - if Lane shoved Strathairn out to pave the way for someone he knew (and would feel more "comfortable" with).

by Anonymousreply 18612/21/2010

Lupone. The cuntiest cunt whoever cunted. Which would be fine if she could still perfomr. But she's chosen only to "be" Patti Lupone and hasn't given a new performance since 1987.

by Anonymousreply 18712/21/2010

Take your meds R184, you'll feel better.

by Anonymousreply 18812/21/2010

I understand that John Barrowman has worked in both the West End and Broadway. When he was in Canada judging the Canadian version of "How do you Solve a Problem like Maria" he made a comment about his leading ladies.%0D One of the Maria's was publicly chastised on the shwo by a judge for her "Diva behaviour" and being told she wouldn't go far if her attitude didn't change. A lot of nerve doing this seeing as the audience didn't get to witness any of this behaviour and judge for themselves. JB's response at the end was to say that that may be true but every leading lady he'd ever worked with had been a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 18912/21/2010

[quote]what genius profession are you a member of [R184]?%0D %0D I edit medical textbooks, and was once an actor myself. Nice to see that the profession remains as humorless and self-important as ever.

by Anonymousreply 19012/21/2010

"JB's response at the end was to say that that may be true but every leading lady he'd ever worked with had been a bitch."%0D %0D Sometimes being a bitch is the only thing a woman has to hold on to.

by Anonymousreply 19112/21/2010

Interesting quote from Barrowman. Does this mean Eve Myles from TORCHWOOD is a major diva, or is he only talking about his experiences on stage?

by Anonymousreply 19212/21/2010

and the riotous self effacing world of medical publishing is a refreshing change of pace from all those bores in the theater?

Look, all due respect for your choice of career change but you don't have to condemn the thing you left in order to justify leaving it.

It is true plenty of actors are humorless and self important, but there are some razor sharp and talented people who are actors as well.

Just as I am sure there are a cross section of people in your current profession with varying degrees of narcissism and dullardry

by Anonymousreply 19312/21/2010

Shoshanna Bean and Leslie Kritzer are wonderful and professional.

Tyler Maynard is the nastier fucker on Broadway but he's a professional. He's just nasty as a butch top drill-sergeant.

by Anonymousreply 19412/21/2010

Have to say that Maynard is a funny but nasty little shithead without that much out of the ordinary to back it up. One nilarious and sweetly nellie performance in an Off-Broadway hit does not give anyone the kind of pass he thinks he has.

by Anonymousreply 19512/21/2010

[quote]Interesting quote from Barrowman. Does this mean Eve Myles from TORCHWOOD is a major diva, or is he only talking about his experiences on stage?[/quote]%0D %0D I'm pretty sure he was just talking about the stage which is the larger part of his career anyway. If not there are a lot of people trying keeping the secret because while the character Eve Myles plays was never as popular as intended it would appear that EM is universally loved by other actors, writers, producers of the show and any fan that has met her only has good things to say. %0D %0D If not, then she may have been the one he talked about with the judge immediately after. Her response to JB's "bitch" comment was "That is not true!" and he responded, "Okay, there was one." But seeing as EM can't sing, (JB's own words) I don't know why the other judge's would comment on her.

by Anonymousreply 19612/21/2010

Dear r193:%0D %0D Let me apologize, to bring this to an end. %0D %0D And honestly, lighten up.

by Anonymousreply 19712/21/2010

At this point, I'm fairly sure that everyone would agree it's Julie Taymor.

by Anonymousreply 19912/21/2010

R198, if you tell me William Hutt was an asshole I will be very upset.

by Anonymousreply 20012/21/2010

Mandy Patinkin and Nicol Williamson.

They haven't been on Broadway for years.

And there's a very good reason for that.

And would it have killed Glenn Close to have had the common courtesy to have dropped Patti Lupone a line to say she was sorry about Sunset?

by Anonymousreply 20112/21/2010

[quote] And would it have killed Glenn Close to have had the common courtesy to have dropped Patti Lupone a line to say she was sorry about Sunset?

Should Vivien Leigh have sent notes to all of the women who didn't get the role of Scarlett saying she was sorry for "Gone With The Wind?"

by Anonymousreply 20212/21/2010

[quote]And would it have killed Glenn Close to have had the common courtesy to have dropped Patti Lupone a line to say she was sorry about Sunset?%0D %0D Killed? No, and I admit it would have been a really nice gesture, but it is hardly a requirement.

by Anonymousreply 20312/21/2010

A nice gesture, R203? Were I in Lupone's position I'd find it very odd and rather condescending.

'I'm SO SORRY you lost out on this role and I got it!'

Ugh. And besides, Close had nothing to apologize for. She was cast in a role. Period. She didn't campaign to have Lupone not hired. It was a business decision.

by Anonymousreply 20412/21/2010

Good point 204.

by Anonymousreply 20512/21/2010

It was a business decision R204 and one of hundreds made by "producer" Andrew Lloyd Webber The man should stick with what he knows and that certaining is not producing theatre

by Anonymousreply 20612/21/2010

[quote]Were I in Lupone's position I'd find it very odd and rather condescending. %0D %0D And that's exactly how she would've played it. It really was all perfectly handled, since it allowed her to stage outrage either way.

by Anonymousreply 20712/21/2010

Is Raul playing the Victor Garber role in Arcadia? He is surely too old for The Billy Crudup or Bobby Leonard roles and too butch for the Blair Brown role.

by Anonymousreply 20812/21/2010

Yikes! I meant to ask that question about Raul on the regular Broadway thread. I've worked with him a coupke of times and he is not nasty. I quite like him.

by Anonymousreply 20912/21/2010

I remember once reading a story about Lauren Bacall at a cocktail party in the 60's%0D %0D She was with a group of people and then was approached by the editor of the old Harper's magazine. Harper's was a major and very influential literary magaine back then.%0D %0D She had no idea who he was and snapped "Butt out - I'm talking to my peeers" (!)%0D %0D This guy of course knew everybody in town and got his revenge by retelling the story all over New York City.

by Anonymousreply 21012/21/2010

r 57: Carolee may be a doll but she was AWFUL in Bells Are Ringing at Reprise.

by Anonymousreply 21112/21/2010

[quote]Well maybe if your friend wasn't shouting Butterfinger jokes at her across a restaurant she would've been nicer. Douchebag!

It was on the street. And Roseanne was waddling behind me, although I didn't realize at the time. I dropped a bag I was carrying, stopped to pick it up, and then comes her ugly voice from behind me saying "Like I have time to waste waiting behind butterfingers here to get his act together!" She and her posse of 3 or 4 others then shoved their way past us. My friend, who is quicker and braver than I am, shouted back something like: "You'd know all about butterfingers, you fat ugly sow!" and then quickly ducked behind the corner. Of course by the time Roseanne and her posse turned around, my friend was gone, and there were enough people on the street that they had no guess as to who yelled it, so they just walked away. If anyone is a douchebag, it's Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 21212/21/2010

I doubt Patti sent Carole Demas a note when she took Demas' leading role in "The Baker's Wife."

by Anonymousreply 21312/21/2010

WEHT Carole Demas?

by Anonymousreply 21412/21/2010

who is jules ochoa?

by Anonymousreply 21512/21/2010

I saw pictures of Carole Demas on someone's Facebook page but now I can't remember who. It was a Fantasticks reunion. She looks great, and she's got to be into her 60s now. Actually, maybe it was that DVD about the making of the Fantasticks - I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 21612/21/2010

Carole Demas a couple of months ago.

by Anonymousreply 21712/21/2010

I have a friend who saw William Hutt on the street in Straford and greeted him, and Hutt insisted that he wasn't William Hutt. My friend said it was very embarrassing.

A little weird, but not anywhere NEAR the Bacall-Williamson-Patinkin league.

by Anonymousreply 21812/21/2010

[quote]I have a friend who saw William Hutt on the street in Straford

His brother Jabba The is so much nicer.

by Anonymousreply 21912/21/2010

Mandy is coming back to the stage. Doing a show at the Public.

by Anonymousreply 22012/21/2010

"How are you doing?"

"Jew? What did you say about a jew?"

"No, I asked, "How are you?"

"What do you mean, 'jew?'"

by Anonymousreply 22112/21/2010

Does anyone know anything about Wesley Taylor? His Billy Green videos on youtube are a riot and he's fucking adorable and out.

by Anonymousreply 22212/21/2010

r198, please spill about the pain in the ass Canadian actor/singers!

by Anonymousreply 22312/21/2010

You know that Debbie is a real c*nt, but you don't see anyone popping $100 for a ticket to sit and watch her working at her desk in Accounting for two hours at a time.

by Anonymousreply 22412/22/2010

[quote]You will go to your grave unsatisfied if you're waiting for any of the wingnuts on this site to verify the self-serving delusions they post regularly.

What are you expecting--notarized testimonials and DNA evidence? Keep holding your breath, honey.

by Anonymousreply 22512/22/2010

lol 224

by Anonymousreply 22612/23/2010

No you and your friend are the douchebags and it's a totally made-up story. Roseanne rules!

by Anonymousreply 22712/23/2010

bump for more Broadway bufoonery

by Anonymousreply 22812/25/2010

OK.....Martha Plimpton!

by Anonymousreply 22912/25/2010

Any details about Ms Plimpton?

by Anonymousreply 23012/25/2010

Martha Plimpton is nice, not a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 23112/25/2010

When Martha is unhappy, she brings that unhappiness with her onstage and backstage until everyone else is as unappy as she is.

by Anonymousreply 23212/25/2010

Jackie Hoffman seems like a hard pill to swallow.

by Anonymousreply 23312/25/2010

yes, canadian actor/singer please!

Is Louise Pitre a prima donna? Who's done what to get into a Mirvish show? Any Buddies in Bad Times Gossip? Sheridan and Randolph grads unite!

by Anonymousreply 23412/25/2010

Julie Taymor

by Anonymousreply 23512/26/2010

And her uber-creepy untalented husband, Elliot Goldenthal.

What an ASSHOLE.

by Anonymousreply 23612/26/2010

[quote]Jackie Hoffman seems like a hard pill to swallow.

Jackie is delightful. Why would you suggest otherwise, r233? Did you see her playing a kooky lesbian gym coach, and have a bad flashback to your painful adolescence?

by Anonymousreply 23712/26/2010

Sandy Duncan called Valerie Harper after Harper was canned. %0D %0D When something is that public and you know the person was screwed over, you try and reach out to them and let them know that you're not involved and wish them well.%0D %0D I can understand Lupone being bitter over it.

by Anonymousreply 23812/26/2010

Did Patti LuPone call Elaine Paige when she stole EVITA from her? NO.

by Anonymousreply 23912/26/2010

Yes, but Glenn Close didn't know Patti. And, as has been pointed out, Patti has replaced people that she never contacted.

Really, r238, LuPone is bitter about EVERYTHING. It's all part of her routine.

by Anonymousreply 24012/26/2010

Patti claims to have cried her eyes out for days when she didn't get cast as Tony Soprano's sister.

I'd say we all got REAL lucky on that one.

by Anonymousreply 24112/27/2010

[quote]I'd say we all got REAL lucky on that one.

Not as lucky as I got!

by Anonymousreply 24212/27/2010

r 237: Jackie Hoffmann is a hard pill to swallow on-stage. A little of her goes a LONG way.

by Anonymousreply 24312/27/2010

r 150: Yes. Lane shoved Strathairn out to pave the way for someone he knew (and would feel more "comfortable" with).%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 24412/27/2010

by Anonymousreply 24512/27/2010

so between Nathan Lane pushed poror David Strathairn out of "Waiting For Godot" according to this thread.

And on the theater gossip thread, Ian McKellen told David Straithairn his understudy could teach him how to play the part better.

David Straithairn must really be over these diva queens.

He is probably just too nice

by Anonymousreply 24612/27/2010

Lane is a vicious drunk who knows that he can move tickets at a Broadway box office, a bit of knowledge that makes him impossible whenever he is unhappy which is just about all the time. But other than that one happy ability, he doesn't have much in life. He is insecure and socially inept. He can snipe at people. He can do his gay Stepin Fetchit act. And he can drink. That's it for Nathan when it comes to life skills.

Strathairn is a nice man, a fine actor and impossibly hot. Nathan could never, ever stand that kind of competition around him. Never.

by Anonymousreply 24712/27/2010

I wish I hadn't resolved not to speak ill of the dead...

by Anonymousreply 24912/27/2010

"And on the theater gossip thread, Ian McKellen told David Straithairn his understudy could teach him how to play the part better."%0D %0D Well, McKellan isn't the nicest thing around to begin with. However I will say that DANCE OF DEATH is one of the few times I've seen Strathairn give a mediocre performance. He looked like he was lost at times. %0D %0D It didn't help that his acting style (more realistic and lower key) was completely at odds with McKellan and Mirren's barnstorming style (which was bad in a different way). You'd think the director would know how to handle this. I did hear from a friend that the understudy was quite good in the part the few times he went on. %0D

by Anonymousreply 25012/27/2010

Much later, Glenn visited Patti backstage at SWEENEY TODD to praise her. I think GC did the classy thing by keeping silent during the drama.

by Anonymousreply 25112/27/2010

So who was this brilliant understudy in Dance of Death?

by Anonymousreply 25212/27/2010

Linda Balgord understudied David Strathairn in "Dance of Death"? Wow, she really IS versatile.

by Anonymousreply 25412/27/2010

Of course, Patti leaves Glenn's visit after Sweeney Todd out of her book.

by Anonymousreply 25512/27/2010

There were all those lawsuits involved in Sunset Boulevard. Glenn may have been advised not to say anything by the Really Useful Company.

by Anonymousreply 25612/27/2010

Strathairn's understudy In Dance of Death was James Riordan.%0D %0D My friend saw both of them. We agreed that Strathairn was not good (a surprise to us both, frankly). According to my pal, Riordan wasn't "brilliant" but certainly better.%0D %0D Strathairn has said in interviews that he's not naturally an aggressive actor (though he can be when required by the director). McKellan and Mirren are both quite aggressive divas, and I have a feeling Strathairn's approach to acting and his sensibility were a mis-match with these two tigers. Perhaps the director saw this and thought it might serve the play well, but he was dead wrong.%0D %0D On another thread someone stated that McKellan disliked Mirren as well by the end of the run.

by Anonymousreply 25712/27/2010

From everything I've read about him on DL, Nathan Lane is currently the nastiest person on Broadway. Not that he's the nastiest Broadway star alive, but he's the only one who's enough of a box office draw that people will still hold their noses and work with him, unlike Mandy Patinkin, whose combination of toxic prickitude and mediocre name recognition have made him Broadway box office poison.

by Anonymousreply 25812/27/2010

Sorry to tell you this r258, but Mandy will be opening in COMPULSION at the hotter than hot Public Theater momentarily. With an eye towards Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 25912/27/2010

Nathan is merely the nastiest actor. Once you move to the business offices of Broadway, you open the field to many more possibilities. Nathan on his worst day can't hold a candle to Lord Voldemort or Scott Rudin.

by Anonymousreply 26012/27/2010

Who is Lord Valdemort?

by Anonymousreply 26112/27/2010

Weren't both Indiscretions with the Kathleen Turner/Eileen Atkins problems and Dance of Death with the Ian McKellan/David Strathairn problems both directed by Sean Mathias (ex of Sir Ian's!)? Perhaps Sean was the problem?

by Anonymousreply 26212/27/2010

Well, as far as the US is concerned, Glenn Close DID create the part. She was the first to play it in the States, and the first to play it on Broadway.

I mean, let's face it, Patti acts like she created the role of EVITA, and it was the exact same thing - she was the first to play it in the States and the first to play it on Broadway. (That is, if one ignores Terri Klausner, who was REALLY the first to play it in the States).

by Anonymousreply 26412/27/2010

Agree that Voldy OWNS this thread. 2nd runners up: Barry and Fran.

by Anonymousreply 26512/27/2010

[quote] Sorry to tell you this [R258], but Mandy will be opening in COMPULSION at the hotter than hot Public Theater momentarily. With an eye towards Broadway.

No doubt the actors in this production will be receiving higher hazard pay than the cast of "Spiderman."

by Anonymousreply 26612/27/2010

Who is Voldy? I remember that was a nickname for someone, but can't remember who.

by Anonymousreply 26712/27/2010

Glenn was wise not to send a letter to Patti. Though Patti complains extensively about it in her book, can you imagine what she would have said if Glenn DID send a note:%0D %0D "Then, to top things off, I received a very snide note from Glenn Close which basically rubbed my nose in the fact that I had lost the role. I have replaced other actresses in major roles and never sent a note to the person I replaced. It just isn't done! It's not good form! And I'm surprised that Glenn would lower herself that far. I did not oh-preciate it one bit!"

by Anonymousreply 26812/27/2010

ask the cast of jackie mason's 'musical' if he is a nice guy and you will QUICKLY learn why he only does 1 person shows...

by Anonymousreply 26912/27/2010

R212 and friend were witty and hilarious. Few 12-year-olds think on their feet that well.

by Anonymousreply 27012/27/2010

Jackie Mason? I thought he was dead.

by Anonymousreply 27112/27/2010

Is Dame Edna nasty? I wonder about her.%0D %0D Are we allowed to say that Voldy is David Stone? Will the thread disappear now like the Wicked Witch?

by Anonymousreply 27212/27/2010

What went on between Kathleen Turner and Eileen Atkins?

by Anonymousreply 27312/27/2010

James Riordan was David Strathairn's understudy in "Dance of Death" but unless your friend saw the understudy run -through, he/she was not in a position to compare them because I don't think he ever had to go on for David.

by Anonymousreply 27412/27/2010

[quote] Terri Klausner, who was REALLY the first to play it in the States

What do you mean, r264?

by Anonymousreply 27512/27/2010

Maybe that's why Patinkin's play has only two other human actors and a bunch of puppets.

by Anonymousreply 27712/27/2010

Evita started in LA with a matinee - and Klausner did the matinee performances. So, technically, she was the first to play it in the States.

The only person who can lay claim to "creating" the role is Elaine Paige.

by Anonymousreply 27812/27/2010

[quote]Of course, Patti leaves Glenn's visit after Sweeney Todd out of her book.

That's because Glenn left her a floater.

by Anonymousreply 27912/27/2010

And how do we know Glennie visited Patti after Sweeney?

by Anonymousreply 28012/27/2010

That was nothing, r279. Angela Lansbury visited Patti backstage at Sweeney and vomited on her.

by Anonymousreply 28112/27/2010

Oh no r281 - Angela was drunk??

by Anonymousreply 28212/27/2010

I must be blind. I can't find anything about Indiscretions. The last 20 or so posts cover Dance of Death/Sunset Boulevard.

by Anonymousreply 28312/27/2010

so we know David Strathairn disliked Ian McKellen because McKellen liked the understudy better but we still don't know why Helen Mirren hated Ian McKellen?

And visa versa or was it just her hating him?

by Anonymousreply 28412/27/2010

283, I think that discussion happened on the Theater thread, not this one

by Anonymousreply 28512/27/2010

One doesn't have to be drunk to vomit when one meets Patti LuPone in her dressing room with no make-up on.

by Anonymousreply 28612/27/2010

In all its glory.

by Anonymousreply 28712/27/2010

Richard Greeberg is credited with the adaptation for Dance of Death on Broadway. Not the easiest task to befall a writer, making Strindberg watchable.

I just remember it being boring as hell, with Mirren being at least funny at times. Strathairn played the handsome relative that visits them and I really can't blame him for the performance because it seemed like everything he said was written with an exclamation mark after it. Oddly his usual hotness was nowhere to be found either.

by Anonymousreply 28812/27/2010

"James Riordan was David Strathairn's understudy in "Dance of Death" but unless your friend saw the understudy run -through, he/she was not in a position to compare them because I don't think he ever had to go on for David."%0D %0D You're wrong there. Riordan went on for Strathairn at least once - I think it was later in the run in December, but Riordan did go on. I'm sure it only happened a couple of times at most as Strathairn rarely misses performances.%0D %0D "Weren't both Indiscretions with the Kathleen Turner/Eileen Atkins problems and Dance of Death with the Ian McKellan/David Strathairn problems both directed by Sean Mathias (ex of Sir Ian's!)? Perhaps Sean was the problem?"%0D %0D I'm sure he was a big part of the problem, lacking the equipment to deal with two large egos (his ex-BF McKellan's and Mirren's) and putting together a production of Strindberg that was practically camp. McKellan & Mirren failed to convince as a long-married couple who loathed each other. They came off as resentful siblings siping at each other.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 28912/27/2010

"so we know David Strathairn disliked Ian McKellen because McKellen liked the understudy better but we still don't know why Helen Mirren hated Ian McKellen?%0D %0D And visa versa or was it just her hating him?"%0D %0D McKellan disliked her by the end, probably because she went and did whatever she wanted to onstage, regardless of him.

by Anonymousreply 29012/27/2010

david stone is not an asshole- he is a great producer- made wicked a hit from a flop from san fran to nyc and takes care of the people around him...

by Anonymousreply 29112/27/2010

Unfortunately, I have to say that Patti Lapone can be credited with creating the character of Evita, as we know it. The character (and the entire production) was very different in London- they both actually had some humor. Unfortunately there were several editorials about the production making light of Evita Peron; so we got the utterly humorless production in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 29212/27/2010

In her book, Patti takes credit for adding a big laugh to Evita. She doesn't elaborate, but I'm assuming she was referring to the line in "A New Argentina" in which she sings, "We'' handed power on a plate." %0D %0D If not that line, I have no idea where she got her big laugh, as the production seemed pretty humorless to me as well.

by Anonymousreply 29312/27/2010

Off Broadway is Charles Busch's director Carl Anderess. Not only did he steal Ken Elliot's shows but he cannot direct anything else other than Busch's plays on his own. Why Charles puts up with him, is anyone's guess.

by Anonymousreply 29512/27/2010

Thanks R291 I rarely laugh out loud at these post . While Stone is successful his success has come on the coattails of talented people.

by Anonymousreply 29612/28/2010

One more story about Bacall that I personally witnessed - when she was in WAITING IN THE WINGS on Broadway, she lorded it over the cast that she was a close personal friend of the author (Noel Coward), and was only "stooping" to do this show because it was Noel's 100th birthday tribute and they were such dear friends.

The bulk of the cast was made up of character ladies "of a certain age" including such great ladies as Elizabeth Wilson, Rosemary Murphy, Dana Ivey, Helen Stenborg, and Bette Henritze, and three real old British troupers: Patricia Conolly, Helena Carroll and Rosemary Harris. It was Rosemary (who had the other, bigger - and better - leading role) who finally had enough and said to Bacall: "Betty, you're not the only one who knew Noel. Helena was the original maid in the first tour of Blithe Spirit and Pat played with him in Suite in 3 Keys. And I was married to Ellis at Noel's house in Jamaica - but of course, you were never invited there, were you?"

That shut Bacall up so fast she NEVER SPOKE TO THE CAST offstage for the entire run - AND insisted on wearing her own clothes instead of the costumes Alvin Colt designed. She was a fish out of water onstage, got terrible reviews (Harris got a Tony nomination), no one even made eye contact with her offstage, and when her contract was up, left the show without saying goodbye to anyone. It was also her last Broadway appearance.

Rosemary Harris is a sweetheart and everyone loves her - and she loves everyone - but to this day, when you mention Bacall's name she says "I have nothing nice to say about that woman" and changes the subject.

by Anonymousreply 29712/28/2010

Carl An-dress is his name. Untalented. Thinks he directs Charles Busch but from experience has no clue what to due and is actually nasty when he doesn't get what he wants.

by Anonymousreply 29812/28/2010

My first theatre paycheck was from a show produced by David Stone. It bounced.

by Anonymousreply 30012/28/2010

R297, I saw that production, too, and Bacall wasn't bad at all. If you look, you'll see that she got some reasonably good reviews, including a very good one from John Simon in New York magazine. I don't know anything about what went on backstage. Bacall may well be a bitch, but she's a decent actress. She's a star perhaps more than an actress; she certainly has something that makes people want to look at her. Earlier in her career, she was beautiful and magnetic. Her performance in To Have and Have Not is one of the best debuts in movie history. She also does well in The Big Sleep, How to Marry a Millionaire, Flame Over India, and Murder on the Orient Express.

I've seen a lot of Rosemary Harris over the last forty years. She's a very talented actress, but nothing of hers has ever left a lasting impression. I'm too young to have seen her in A Lion in Winter (a mediocre play) or opposite her then-husband Ellis Rabb at the APA. Perhaps she was dazzling in that period. She was good but certainly not dazzling in The Royal Family -- a representative performance. Similarly in A Delicate Balance, as competent as she was, I wanted to watch George Grizzard and Elaine Stritch more than her. She's always proficient but never a star -- and sometimes a star is really what you want to see.

By the way, Dana Ivey is not a great lady, as you put it. She can be superb in the right role, but nobody likes working with her. She's as nasty as can be.

by Anonymousreply 30112/28/2010

One last thing: Lauren Bacall was in fact very good friends with Noel Coward. That was hardly an exaggeration. He picked her to star in the TV version of Blithe Spirit. With Sinatra, who was her boyfriend at the time, she attended the premiere of Coward's first nightclub act in Las Vegas. He asked her to come. He loved everything about her, especially her beauty, glamor, fame, and stardom. Adlai Stevenson and Alastair Cooke, among other famous men, were in love with her at the time, and Coward enjoyed being in the company of a woman who had such important admirers. He admitted being a starfucker but was never embarrassed by it. I doubt that she was never invited to his home in Jamaica. She certainly takes up a lot more room in his letters, diaries, and memoirs than Rosemary Harris, although he liked Ellis Rabb as a young man. They had similar interests.

by Anonymousreply 30212/28/2010

Frankly, several of those old ladies in the cast of Waiting in the Wings are big pills, including the oft-mentioned Dana Ivey but also Patricia (Trish, NOT Pat!) Conolly, Bette Henritze and Rosemary Harris, who defines the term "passive aggressive" in spades.

by Anonymousreply 30312/28/2010

Let's not leave out Elizabeth Wilson. She also knows how to crack the whip. %0D %0D If Dana Ivey was beautiful, like Bacall, and could move tickets, like Bacall, she could give Betty a run for her money in the Bitch Department. But not having been blessed with beauty or box office appeal, she has had to content herself with a lifetime of minor league trouble making. %0D %0D You have to be a star at the box office before you can really begin to make people suffer. Just as Yul Brynner.

by Anonymousreply 30412/28/2010

Speaking of passive-aggressive, has Mary-Louise Parker been mentioned in this thread yet?

by Anonymousreply 30512/28/2010

I can see, but not vouch for, Dana Ivey being a bitch-sad though ass her mother, Mary Nell Santacroce,(who starred in the film WISE BLOOD and who John Huston described as "one of the three or four best actresses in world") was charming and giving on stage. I had the pleasure of playing a small part in a production of THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL that she did at Theater in the Square in Atlanta in the mid-80's, and she was charming, gracious, and encouraging. She had the entire cast over to her home for a Christmas Party. Wonder what happened to make her daughter so evil? If indeed, she actually is?

by Anonymousreply 30612/28/2010

I try to stay out of these gossip threads but it wouldn't be fair to neglect pointing out that Dana "poison" Ivey is the charmer who replaced Eileen Atkins in Indiscretions when Atkins got sick.

Surprisingly, she was on her best behavior. Of course, with Dana her best behavior isn't your mothers best.

I think Mathias told her that it was already a tense situation and everyone had to behave. Sean Mathias is the type of director who never wants an actor to "imitate" a predecessors performance so when a standby or replacement go on, he wants them to bring what they have to the table. Admirable really, usually they just want you to do what the last person did but better.

Mathias was in England when Dana was being put in so it fell on poor stage management to get her in.

The only hint of the usual joy that Dana Ivey dispenses came when she was asked to "find it on her own" to which she snapped "Just fucking tell me what Elieen did and I will do that"

Elizabeth Wilson passive aggressive? maybe a bit but she is nowhere near Bacall/Dana Ivey territory.

by Anonymousreply 30712/28/2010

r307 do you think Mathias is a talented director? There seems to be an awful lot of unfulfilled promise there. Has he worked in NY lately?

by Anonymousreply 30812/28/2010

What are some of the stories about Dana Ivey? I think she's a great actress, but know nothing about what she's like offstage. I do remember watching the Tonys when both she and co-star Celia Weston were nominated for The Last Night of Ballyhoo and it appeared that Ivey pointedly stopped applauding when Celia's name was read as one of the nominees.

by Anonymousreply 30912/28/2010

Lane's success in the Producers could have been disasterous if not for the fact that he was working for Mel Brooks, whom he admired greatly and working alongside Matthew Broderick, who is the direct opposite of a diva. Lane himself has acknowledged publicly that he would have not been able to handle it had he not had Broderick there to share some of the pressure. Those factors are what made the Producers a hit and kept Lane from his usual over the top diva bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 31012/28/2010

Could someone be so kind as to post a link for the theater thread please? I want to read all about Turner and Atkins in Indiscretions but the new DL search engine is about as effective as Julie Taymor's safety guide.

by Anonymousreply 31112/28/2010

r 310: It's hard to imagine, but THE PRODUCERS was such a white-hot hit that Lane's backstage diva antics (he got one of the Leo understudies fired) went largely unreported.

by Anonymousreply 31212/28/2010

307 here again: reading through the rest of this thread I have a few bits and bobs to add:

Lauren Bacall is a bitch supreme, nobody touches her in the cunt department when she gets going but she does have the saving grace of a sense of humor about herself that EVENTUALLY makes an appearance. She hates weakness and if she sees it in someone, or thinks she does she tortures that person mercilessly. On the other hand, she can be very nice. I have worked on two shows where I had direct dealings with her, not always of the pleasant variety but she doesn't hold a grudge and is always warm when I see her.

I thought Patti's book was a crock of self serving shit but I don't hate her. I don't love her on stage and sometimes I can't believe what she gets away with: For example that accent she pulled out of her ass in "Noises Off" was some strange hybrid of Swahili and West Indian with a few cockney sounds thrown in. Liz Smith probably wanted to take her name off the production.

Patti also ALWAYS has to be the center of attention by hook or by crook and all of the various "controversies" she finds herself in the middle of like the BCFA thing are things she constructs and enjoys perhaps on an unconscious level. Btw, in that production of Noises Off I think Faith Prince and Patti grew to hate each other quite intensely.

Someone asked about Mary Louise Parker, odd remote woman at times, she does have the gift of spreading unhappiness when she isn't happy.

When she dated Billy Crudup, he was in a production of Three Sisters at the Roundabout that was plagued with bad acting and jedi craziness backstage. MLP made no secret of hating the production and in particular the performances of Amy Irving, Jeanne Tripplehorn and Lily Taylor [known affectionately at the time as "the three blisters" Anyway, she was quite vocal about all that was wrong with them and the production. Even to the extent, apparantly of giving a talk at NYU about what a stinker the production was. She was right, of course and probably wanted to play Masha.

I mention all this because I think MLP deserves a special category all her own " Creating mischief and misery in a show you aren't even IN"

Which brings me to Neil Simon's wife, Elaine Joyce winner of the "Spouse most successful at making her legendary husband a pariah in the business"

Elaine Joyce deserves a special mention because she is a completely unnecessary presence and yet a completely destructive one. She is like the malarial mosquito at the party that buzzes around everything living until it is dead. Difficult in the extreme AND completely superflous.

Although I am dating myself, I dated someone who worked on an Ian McKellen vehicle called "Wild Honey" years back and Ian is a pretty self centered chap. he functions pretty much as though everyone exists to prop him up, However I think there is a difference , between English actors and American actors and the comment about David Strathairn's understudy Jim Riordan giving a superior performance was probably more delicately phrased than reported here and and taken the wrong way by David. English actors have more of a company system obviously and it is good form to pretend to learn from one another.

I heard he and MIrren didn't get along because he was quite simply telling her what to do.

by Anonymousreply 31312/28/2010

Mathias is one of those hit-or-miss directors. INDISCRETIONS and DANCE OF DEATH on Broadway were definite misses, but I hear his production of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC in London with Judi Dench was wonderful.%0D

by Anonymousreply 31412/28/2010

anyone who criticizes a Broadway star for being "foul-mouthed" loses credibility.

by Anonymousreply 31512/28/2010

R307/313, thanks for posting. Great stuff.%0D %0D I saw that Roundabout THREE SISTERS and it was dreadful, largely thanks to the director Scott Elliott, who should stick to the very, very few types of material he does passably well.%0D %0D Interestingly enough David Strathairn was in that THREE SISTERS, and he was one of the few performances in that play worth mentioning, though he was hampered much of the time by having to act with Tripplehorn, who was a one-note bitch Masha.%0D %0D Based on MLP's recent Hedda Gabler. I'll bet her Masha would have been equally bad, but in a different way.%0D %0D Speaking of Amy Irving, isn't she supposed to be a nasty piece of work too? A friend of mine worked the boxoffice at the Promenade Theater years ago when she was doing that Athol Fugard play. He said if you opened the door for her, she just waltzed through without any thought of saying "thank-you." Of course, these days lots of New Yorkers can't be bothered with that.

by Anonymousreply 31612/28/2010

Mathias is hit or miss and I think the Cherry Orchard he did in LA with Annette Benning was the most recent thing he did in the US.

I loved his "Elephant Man" which only ran a few months.

by Anonymousreply 31712/28/2010

Finally, lots of wonderful tidbits here on this thread! Thanks to all, esp. r307/313.%0D %0D But didn't Sam Mendes direct the Night Music with Dench? And what's the poop on Mendes, who is also wildly hit or miss? Well, I guess all those Brit wonder boys are....

by Anonymousreply 31812/28/2010

OMG, will Nathan and Mandy be having a war to see who can be the nastiest person on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 31912/28/2010

Amy Irving wanted to be in the Sean Mathias production of "The Elephant Man" in the worst way. Many people did. Irving lost the role ultimately to Kate Burton who was better than Amy could have been. Kyra Sedgwick also wanted that part and I think Annette Benning was considering it but didn't want to leave her kids at that time.

Gabriel Byrne wanted to play Treves the part that went to Rupert Graves. I think the producers wanted him but Mathias wanted Graves.

by Anonymousreply 32012/28/2010

Elephant Man was such a HUGE hit in the early 80s and such a dreary bomb in its revival.%0D %0D WEHT Phillip Anglim? Now, that's a real Broadway mystery!

by Anonymousreply 32112/28/2010

"But didn't Sam Mendes direct the Night Music with Dench?"%0D %0D No, it was Sean Mathias.%0D %0D Scroll down at the link to find the 1995 Royal National Theater Production credits.

by Anonymousreply 32212/28/2010

Well, Babs, Mandy will be OFF Broadway in a 199 seat house so Nathan wins that contest. For what it is worth, I hear Mandy's performance in COMPULSION is pretty great. He may redeem himself yet. Hope so, because every performance I've seen in recent years has been exactly the same - Mandy doing Mandy.

by Anonymousreply 32312/28/2010

Anglim went to Hollywood. The only film I recall his doing was HAUNTED SUMMER as Lord Byron with Eric Stoltz, Laura Dern, and Alice Krige.%0D %0D His IMDB listing is at the link - he has no credits since 1998, so my guess is that he either retired from acting or works in regional theater somehere.

by Anonymousreply 32412/28/2010

I think Phillip Anglim went to LA in the early 80's he was in the early stages of development of "The Elephant Man" I am not sure he was very well suited to other roles.

The original production was so compelling because of him and Carole Shelley. I think the revival was very well acted but It showed the play itslelf was not the masterwork it seemed to be in the early 80's.

by Anonymousreply 32512/28/2010

"Speaking of Amy Irving, isn't she supposed to be a nasty piece of work too?"%0D %0D She got the late Ron Silver fired from the Arthur Miller play "Broken Glass" during rehearsal. She told the director John Tillinger that she couldn't work with him. David Dukes was the replacement.%0D %0D While this is speaking ill of the dead, Silver was pretty much a jerk himself, so in this case, it's hard to know who the more offending party was.%0D %0D I gather Miller wanted Irving for the female lead, so that must have given her some leverage since she really was no bigger a star than Silver at the time. To be fair, she was supposed to me excellent in the part, though the show closed after 2 weeks.%0D %0D BTW, she wasn't anywhere near the worst of the Three Sisters in that woeful production - Jeanne Tripplehorn took that prize.

by Anonymousreply 32612/28/2010

I saw Anglim in a touring production of "M.Butterfly" in Boston - I want to say in the mid 90's. Alec Mapa was his co-star.

by Anonymousreply 32712/28/2010

Ron Silver was a first class jerk-off.

by Anonymousreply 32812/28/2010

R326, Calista Flockhart was pretty bad as Natasha as well. But the worst sister had to be Lily Taylor. I still remember that as THE worst production I have ever seen, even worse than TABOO. Then again, I never saw DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES.

by Anonymousreply 32912/28/2010

Wow, R330. I had forgotten about that MACBETH. I think it was opera director Sarah Caldwell's first (and probably last) time out with a play, at least on Broadway.%0D %0D The reviews were ghastly, at least as bad as (if not worse than) the 2000 revival with Kelsey Grammer, and the show closed quickly. Maureen Anderman was Lady Macbeth. And Crinkley was indeed the producer for Lincoln Center. Were he and Anglim lovers? %0D %0D I didn't see this production, but did see the next Broadway outing, the almost-as-ill-fated debacle with the previously mentioned SOB Nicol Williamson. I think he went through several Lady Macbeths (including Sigourney Weaver) before the thing finally opened. It barely ran longer than the one with Anglim.%0D

by Anonymousreply 33112/28/2010

"But the worst sister had to be Lili Taylor."%0D %0D If you think she was bad there, you should have seen her attempt at Christine Mannion in the recent MOURNING BECOMES ELECTRA, also directed by Scott Elliott.%0D %0D I've always liked Taylor on film, but Elliott must have an ability to bring out the worst in her on stage. Or just badly miscasts her (or both).

by Anonymousreply 33212/28/2010

Hard to even imagine now but Scott Elliott was really lauded as NY theater's newest and hottest wunderkind in the mid-90s with even a cover story in the NY Times Sunday Magazine which led to the execrable 3 Sisters as well as the Frank Langella Present Laughter which actually wasn't so bad.

by Anonymousreply 33312/28/2010

Remember when the NY Times fired Margo Jefferson as its off broadway critic because she wrote something snotty about a prominent director? was it Dan Sullivan?

by Anonymousreply 33412/28/2010

She got fired after she said about a particular production that Dan Sullivan was a mediocre director and especially bad with props -- not just in this instance but generally. I forget which production it was. I thought Jefferson was a reasonably good critic -- certainly better than Brantley, who often goes off half-cocked about one or another of his obsessions. He also has a tendency to rave about pretty straight actors. I never rely on his judgment, though I'm not sure that's the most important quality for me in a critic. I'm less interested in whether out tastes match up than in the quality of his thinking and writing.

by Anonymousreply 33512/28/2010

Scott Elliott is truly talent-free. Look how awful his revival of "Barefoot in the Park" was - with Patrick Wilson in tighty-whities and the late great Jill Clayburgh as the mother-in-law. And don't even get me started on his "Threepenny Opera" with Alan Cumming and Cindy Lauper - thank God for Jim Dale and Nellie McKay!%0D %0D Even the stuff he does for his own company, The New Group, is awful. Ethan Hawke is the saving grace keeping that company going.

by Anonymousreply 33612/28/2010

If someone started a craziest person on Broadway there could be some great stories. While some of the stories can get nasty, the people just have a screw loose. And Patti could be in that thread, too.

by Anonymousreply 33712/28/2010

FYI R278, the only person who can lay claim to creating the role of Evita was Julie Covington, who sang it for the first time on the concept album that led to the stage show.

by Anonymousreply 33812/28/2010

[quote]Maureen Anderman was Lady Macbeth. And Crinkley was indeed the producer for Lincoln Center. Were he and Anglim lovers?

I seem to remember a New York Times article about this mess that indicated Anglim and Anderman were engaged. Maybe a bearding arrangement? And what happened to her--she was supposed to be the new Julie Harris.

And R325, I agree--I saw Anglim and Shelley in the original Broadway production of "Elephant Man", and they were incredible. The play needs three actors who can set egos aside and lock into each other on stage. Otherwise the vehicle creaks.

by Anonymousreply 33912/28/2010

Sean Mathias's most recent outing was/is 'Godot' with McKellen, Patrick Stewart, Simon Callow and Ronald Pickup. (Roger Rees later joined the cast.) I doubt Sir Ian dared to pull rank among that lot.

Broadway having had its 'Godot' quota from Lane and Irwin in 09, Mathias's hit West End show toured down under.

Mendes is set to tour 'Richard III' (with Spacey) around much of the western world soon.

by Anonymousreply 34012/28/2010

Wrong, 338. The first person to play the role onstage "creates" the role. Period. Concept album singers with no intention of ever playing the role (like Covington) don't count. By that token, Elaine Paige "owns" Evita/EVITA, Grizabella/CATS (though Dench did do the role in rehearsals) and Florence/CHESS just as Patti "owns" Fantine in LES MIZ and Norma in SUNSET BLVD. Rules are rules.

by Anonymousreply 34112/28/2010

Elaine Joyce came into a bookstore I worked in once when I was a teenager. She was really nasty back then (this was pre-Neil Simon.) She was like a cast member of The Real Housewives. Bitch, entitled and superior.

by Anonymousreply 34212/28/2010

[quote]He said if you opened the door for her, she just waltzed through without any thought of saying "thank-you."

Wow, Amy Irving is a monster!

by Anonymousreply 34312/28/2010

You have to actually be good in a role to "own" it, so Patti loses SUNSET. I would say no one owns Norma. Glenn was good, but due to the unusual circumstances (the person who created it stank, and it's been done by so many famous ladies), it's a part without an owner.

by Anonymousreply 34412/28/2010

I saw Anglim in that tour of "M. Butterfly." He was fine.

by Anonymousreply 34512/28/2010

Kelsey Grammer played Lennox in the Anglim MacBeth, and took over the lead when Anglim left early.

He (Anglim) actually had some heat when he moved to LA - he did that MacBeth, The Elephant Man, and a very high-profile second male lead in "The Thorn Birds." (Wonder if Chamberlain fucked him?)

I had always heard he had a major sugar-daddy, and never had to worry about money. Since he was genuinely talented, I wonder if it was lack of ambition that ended his stage career, or if he was an asshole that no one wanted to work with?

by Anonymousreply 34612/28/2010

Before Neil Simon (possibly when you encountered her r342), Elaine Joyce was the gf of none other than JD (Catcher in the Rye) Salinger, so she had a reason to be hoity-toity even then. %0D %0D And before that she was married to No No Nanette's Bobby Van and played the title role in Broadway's Sugar. %0D %0D She can also be seen in the film of Funny Girl as one of the Roller Skate Rag Girls who is undone by Barbra Streisand and then swooning over the dressing room entrance of Omar Sharif.

by Anonymousreply 34712/28/2010

I doubt if Anglim was ever engaged to Maureen Anderman. She's been married to Frank Converse a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 34812/28/2010

The funny thing is, Elaine Joyce has kind of a pig face. I could never understand how she got a role that had been played by Marilyn Monroe.

by Anonymousreply 34912/28/2010

Not an actor but --%0D %0D %0D Julie Taymor

by Anonymousreply 35012/28/2010

Huh! How old is that photo r346?%0D %0D Maureen Anderman is actually Vanessa Redgrave's understudy in Driving Miss Daisy and she's a lovely woman. She's been married for many years to the still incredibly hunky Frank Converse who some of you older guys may remember from 1970s theater and TV. I can't imagine Maureen would have ever bearded for or been engaged to Anglim ....but then, I guess you never know!%0D %0D Not sure about Anglim's sugar daddy. From my limited exposure, I'd say he came from lots of money himself. I think Crinkley was besotted with him but that it was surely one-sided.

by Anonymousreply 35112/28/2010

Rosemary Harris may not exactly be a box office star, but she is a remarkable actress, every bit as compelling as Grizzard and Stritch were in A Delicate Balance. All three of them just about made that WTF of a play work.

And I have no personal experience with any of them, so I can't vouch as to any nastiness or lack of same.

by Anonymousreply 35212/28/2010

Pity that Stritch - who worked with Noel Coward - wasn't in that WAITING IN THE WINGS production. You can only imagine what she'd say to Bacall when the latter started pulling that "Noel is such a dear friend" routine. It would be a lot less polite than Harris' retort.

by Anonymousreply 35312/28/2010

"I would say no one owns Norma."%0D %0D Poor Glennie just can't get a break, can she?

by Anonymousreply 35412/28/2010

Not to natter on about the possible Mendes/Dench connection, but didn't he famously convince Dench to star in some production of his when he was barely out of school? I thought it was Night Music but apparently not.

by Anonymousreply 35512/28/2010

When Stritch did Delicate Balance, Lincoln Center would constantly get unapproved bills from Bergdorf's and Saks for her makeup and other sundries.

by Anonymousreply 35612/28/2010

Right now, she's having ALNM pick up the tab for her Depends, saying they're a job-related necessity.

by Anonymousreply 35712/28/2010

R355, Mendes directed Dench in The Cherry Orchard in the West End when he was just out of school

by Anonymousreply 35812/28/2010

Isn't Mendes gay? Isn't that why he broke up with Kate?

by Anonymousreply 35912/28/2010

I dare someone to go up to Nathan Lane and say "Nathan, I LOVED you as the desk cop in 'The Addams Family'!" Also, please film the encounter. Thank you in advance.

by Anonymousreply 36012/28/2010

What's the desk cop?

by Anonymousreply 36112/28/2010

It's just a joke, R361, a reference to his tiny role in the old "Addams Family" movie versus the Broadway play.

by Anonymousreply 36212/28/2010

All these posts and no nasty directors on Broadway? It's not like the old days.

by Anonymousreply 36312/28/2010

Does Eric Schaeffer count as a Broadway director? He's a horror.

by Anonymousreply 36412/28/2010

What's Zach "Spock" Quinto like?

by Anonymousreply 36512/28/2010

I know this goes against the theme of this thread, but I know for a fact that Katherine Hepburn was wonderful to the crew when she did "Coco."

My uncles were stage hands on the production, and they each have personal letters of thanks written by her.

They are all in their 90's now and have promised me the letters upon their deaths.

by Anonymousreply 36612/28/2010

I'm almost afraid to bring up her name but I must say I'm so glad to see Kristin hasn't been mentioned. I've worked with her twice and both times the cast and crew loved her. She was just a great spirit backstage.

by Anonymousreply 36712/28/2010

I'm happy to hear that Hepburn was decent to your uncles on the crew of COCO, R366. She's better known as being a complete nightmare on that production, as documented by Cecil Beaton, the designer/photographer, in his published diaries.

by Anonymousreply 36812/28/2010

To be fair, R368, Beaton's diaries are the rantings of ONE BITTER QUEEN, so he hated EVERYBODY on that show - not just Hepburn, but Alan Jay Lerner and even Coco Chanel.

I was in the audience in Boston one night during the West Side Waltz tour when Hepburn stopped the show because someone took a flash photo. She had the camera confiscated, berated the picture taker, then resumed the show to a thunderous ovation. The old dyke really was a bitch, but it was so fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 36912/29/2010

I can't believe Hepburn exhibited such unprofessional behavior, r369. What a humorless old bitch she must have been.

by Anonymousreply 37012/29/2010

nothing in this thread about Bebe "Bitchy" Neuwirth???

by Anonymousreply 37112/29/2010

A few rants...

If you haven't seen Rosemary Harris in anything memorable, you obviously didn't see her in the Broadway revival of "Hay Fever" in 1985. She gave perhaps the funniest performance of that season and many others.

[quote]I loved his "Elephant Man" which only ran a few months.

It only ran a few months because both Kate Burton and Billy Crudup are charisma-free actors who were incredibly dull in that production. I imagine they were both really "feeling" their performances, which didn't extend to the third row, sadly. I can't believe Amy Irving wanted in, she would have been a far better choice.

I saw Arthur Miller's "Broken Glass" and am still moved by how good a play it is. Amy Irving was excellent as was David Dukes. Remember, Ron Silver also got canned from the original production of "La Bete" because he was impossible to work with apparently. I have also waited on Irving a couple of times and she was perfectly nice.

by Anonymousreply 37212/29/2010

I can easily imagine Bebe Neuwirth being cold and unfriendly, but never unprofessional. It's really about the work with her. She and Nathan loathe each other, but they've still found a way to keep it together for the show.

For him, it's all about Nathan. The end.

by Anonymousreply 37312/29/2010

And Amy Irving gave the best performance of any of the lead women in COAST OF UTOPIA. The fact that she didn't win the Tony - wasn't even nominated, while the overenergetic Martha Plimpton was and the colorless Jennifer Ehle actually won - was a major crime.

Irving's scene as the Parisian courtesan was the best 20 minutes of the entire 11 hour cycle.

by Anonymousreply 37412/29/2010

I worked with Amy Irving on a play years ago just after she had had her baby with Spielberg and she was, indeed, gracious and a thorough pro. Of course, she was treated like a maharani by one and all because of Spielberg. %0D %0D I wonder if her career as a film actress might actually have gone further had she not hooked up with him.

by Anonymousreply 37512/29/2010

[quote] I was in the audience in Boston one night during the West Side Waltz tour when Hepburn stopped the show because someone took a flash photo. She had the camera confiscated, berated the picture taker, then resumed the show to a thunderous ovation. The old dyke really was a bitch, but it was so fabulous!

So PattiLu's just a big copycat!

by Anonymousreply 37612/29/2010

[quote] I wonder if her career as a film actress might actually have gone further had she not hooked up with him.

I've always wondered that too...

by Anonymousreply 37712/29/2010

PS%E2%80%94Dolls buy my book. I'm trapped on the NY Times Bestseller list between 2 Republicans!

by Anonymousreply 37812/29/2010

r376%0D %0D Damn right she is.

by Anonymousreply 37912/29/2010

"You have to actually be good in a role to "own" it, so Patti loses SUNSET."%0D %0D She does not. It's a matter of opinion on whether you think she's good or not. %0D %0D I think Elaine Paige sounds like she's taking a dump when she sings, so then does that mean that Patti gets "Evita"?

by Anonymousreply 38012/29/2010

Patti hasn't been good in anything since ... well, even in Evita, Florence Lacey wound up giving the definitive performance. Better than Patti.

And Patti WAS better than Elaine Paige in "Anything Goes." And very good and surprisingly warm in "Can-Can."

And no one topped LuPone in "The Baker's Wife"

But she's really been shit in everything else, ESPECIALLY Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 38112/29/2010

[quote]Interesting quote from Barrowman. Does this mean Eve Myles from TORCHWOOD is a major diva, or is he only talking about his experiences on stage?%0D %0D What about Naoko Mori? She actually was his leading lady on stage in "Miss Saigon" in the West End. Aw, say it ain't so John! Sarah from AbFab, a diva?!? Although she was about 17 at the time.

by Anonymousreply 38212/30/2010

Anglim comes from money and is retired from acting.

Mathias' production of NIGHT MUSIC, apart from Dench and Patricia Hodge (who were both wonderful but way too old for their roles) was more of the same roll-around the stage production he'd done for INDISCRETIONS and DESIGN FOR LIVING. No one has come close to the level of the original Prince production.

How did Andress manage to get Ken Elliott fired from Busch's plays? I went to school with Ken and thought he was a pretentious bitch back then, but I have no idea if he has/had any talent. He seems to have vanished.

by Anonymousreply 38312/30/2010

307/313 here again, hit the send too soon:

Finishing my thought about Nathan Lane:

The business has changed so much since the mid-late 80's that it is almost unrecognizable to geezers like me.

Producers at that time and prior were a different lot than they are today and Broadway existed in a different universe. A seasoned producer would have talked someone like Nathan Lane into something he could reasonably be successful in rather than just mounting whatever Nathan wanted to try to get him to sign on.

Producers had a sense of artistry, even though they were business men, the best of them [like Robert Whitehead] knew good acting and knew how to talk stars into the right parts.

I think it is harder to get talent developed on the NY stage today than it was 30 years ago. Many people I know, agents, producers left the business not just because they got old but because they no longer recognized it.

This series of posts obviously has some dedicated theater lovers posting on it, to the extent of knowing who the understudies were in various productions, that's the way theater fans used to be.

It was interesting to see the name James Riordan pop up in this thread. At one point his agent was a woman @Gersh named Ellen Curren, who I was friendly with at the time. this is going back to the David Guc/Mary Meagher days.. years ago. She told me James Riordan was the best actor on her list but he didn't want to do any television auditions and she spent considerable energy persuading him to go in. Now that was stupid for any actor even back then, but now an agency would just drop someone who didn't want to do TV they wouldn't try to cajole.

Speaking of Mary Meagher, what a sad story. Great lady, the role of the agent that Julie White played in the Douglas Carter Beane was very clearly Mary Meagher. To the extent that he quoted her directly a few times in the play. Mary was an actor agent cum lit agent who was the patsy stone prototype but with a serious, serious brain. Much missed.

by Anonymousreply 38512/30/2010

Just reread "The Little Dog Laughed"

I was surprised and touched to see Beane dedicates the play the Mary Meagher.

He had paid to "dry her out" at Betty Fords the first time and paid for her to start a new agency. Sadly, she fell back after a year and even became a heroin addict.

She was a great great lady -- and boy did she push her writers when at William Morris.

I believe she died of an overdose around the time of "Little Dog."

by Anonymousreply 38612/30/2010

Oh God 386, I had no idea DGB dedicated the play to Mary. I hadn't seen the published version, but when I saw it at Seconal Stage, I had tears thinking about Mary. Mary died shortly after, in late 06 I think. Lots of people tried to help her but it just wasn't enough.

by Anonymousreply 38812/30/2010

r387, what the hell is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 38912/30/2010

Nathan Lane @387 posting from BeBe's dressing room

by Anonymousreply 39012/30/2010

I enjoyed R384/R385. Thanks for your insights.

More, please. It's nice to hear about the class acts as well as the nasties.

And I cannot imagine what it's like backstage at THE ADAMS FAMILY.

by Anonymousreply 39112/30/2010

Please keep posting, 307/313. Your observations are wonderful to read.

by Anonymousreply 39212/30/2010

Things backstage at ADDAMS FAMILY will be much better soon, when Nathan leaves and Bebe's gay best friend Roger Rees takes over.%0D %0D Of course, the show itself will probably close within weeks of the takeover.%0D %0D With Bebe, Kelsey, Roger and (at least temporarily) DHP on Broadway this season, it just shows how brilliant the "Cheers" casting directors were.

by Anonymousreply 39312/30/2010

"I don't want to embarass the director by naming him/her but BeBe did a play at Lincoln Center where she fell out of love and into hate of the director and literally turned the whole enterprise into a "mean girl" campaign to drive this director to the brink of sanity and she nearly succeeded."%0D %0D You must be referring to EVERETT BEEKIN. Pity she didn't do a campaign instead against the playwright Richard Greenberg, who wrote that mess. It was the first and only time I left a play and heard everyone in the lobby asking "what was that supposed to be about?"%0D %0D 307/313 etc. - you are a gem. Do keep posting please.%0D %0D I doubt any director could have made any sense of that non-play.

by Anonymousreply 39412/30/2010

"What about Naoko Mori? She actually was his leading lady on stage in "Miss Saigon" in the West End. Aw, say it ain't so John! Sarah from AbFab, a diva?!? Although she was about 17 at the time."%0D %0D Doubt Barrowman was referring to Mori. Can't imagine she would have gotten the role on Torchwood if he disliked her.

by Anonymousreply 39512/30/2010

307/313 back again,

Yes 394, I was writing about Everett Beekin and I agree nobody could make gold out of that straw. I don't know why LCT produced it except that everyone was trying to produce Richard at that time. Poor Evan, lovely woman and Bebe was really nasty to her. Didn't Evan also direct Violet Hour a few years later?

by Anonymousreply 39612/30/2010

Let's name names, shall we?%0D %0D The director of EVERETT BEEKIN was Evan Yionoulis. Evan, while a lovely woman, is indeed a bit of a lightweight as a director and given the fact that the script was almost incomprehensible, Bebe was right to insist on a better director (or at least more direction) than she got from Evan.%0D %0D The best thing about BEEKIN is that Greenberg was so unhappy with the finished product that he stopped writing "family" plays - his very next play was TAKE ME OUT, which of course is one of DL's most favorite works.

by Anonymousreply 39712/30/2010

393- You are forgetting George Wendt playing Santa in ELF on the more for the Cheers alum team....

by Anonymousreply 39812/30/2010

I worked with Nathan Lane on Lisbon Traviata. He was moody and withdrawn then. He was never actually nasty, but he was very withdrawn from the rest of the cast and crew. He insisted on having a private dressing room. He only came out to do his performance and take the curtain call.

by Anonymousreply 39912/30/2010

I remember first seeing Nathan in The Common Pursuit and he stole the show. I remember thinking - "WTF is that?" He is a cautionary tale.

by Anonymousreply 40012/30/2010

[quote]Doubt Barrowman was referring to Mori. Can't imagine she would have gotten the role on Torchwood if he disliked her.%0D %0D While I doubt Mori is one of the "bitches" that Barrowman was refering too and even if so, most 17 yr olds are brats anyway, I don't think that would have been up to Barrowman. The only person that Russell Davies has always wanted on Torchwood has been Eve Myles from what I understand and while he like Barrowman as well, Barrowman's, and Captain Jack's popularity was an end to a means to get the show made. EM is cute and a good actress but who had heard of her outside of Wales? Getting an episode of Doctor Who helped but still... And considering how often Barrowman himself seems to think he's going to be out of a job on the BBC(he said when he was taken out to dinner about Torchwood he thought they were letting him down easy about not being on DW again, he said that he wasn't nice on the Children of Earth set because he thought for sure this was the end of Torchwood) I don't think even he'd throw his weight around like that.%0D %0D But if anyone has any stories about whether Barrowman is indeed, the type who demands who's hired and fired, on Broadway, the West End or in other projects, spill.

by Anonymousreply 40112/30/2010

Anyone remember that story about Nancy Ringham and Rex Harrison during the MY FAIR LADY revival in the 80s? Nancy, I think, was brought in to replace the "Eliza" they had hired (or she was the understudy, I forget), and Rex wasn't happy with the decision to use her. The way he retaliated was to constantly demean her, telling her she was a no-talent, she didn't compare to Julie, she was fucking up the entire show..and he did some of this while they were dancing onstage at the Embassy Ball.%0D %0D Since he was REX HARRISON and she was nobody, she couldn't do anything about it. Later on, she said that Harrison cost her thousands of dollars in therapy.

by Anonymousreply 40212/30/2010

This thread has taken a genuinely interesting turn....thanks to all the informed posters (you know which ones you are!). Please don't stop.%0D %0D I also know Evan. She is indeed a smart director but unfortunately easily intimidated, a terrible and fatal trait for a director. She only does well when surrounded by trusting colleagues. Luckily, she's married to Don Holder, one of the busiest and most talented lighting designers on Broadway....particularly busy right now with (ugh) Spider-Man.

by Anonymousreply 40312/30/2010

I seem to remember Jack O'Brien once naming Bebe the biggest bitch on Broadway and he loves everybody!

by Anonymousreply 40412/30/2010

R402- Ringham was the replacement. Can't remember who she replacement.

by Anonymousreply 40512/30/2010

Bebe was horrible to everyone including Rob Marshall during DY. Marshall got back at her bby refusing to audition her for the movie version of CHICAGO. Neuwirth stated in some press interviews that she would NEVER consider doing the movie... that it was beneath her(?!) as it was not live theatre. Or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 40612/30/2010

Keep posting 301-313! Love the dish.%0D

by Anonymousreply 40712/30/2010

Bebe was such a nightmare during the Skin of Our Teeth musical in Virginia (I think it was called Over and Over there) that they finally fired her.

by Anonymousreply 40812/30/2010

In case anyone wants to see the John Barrowman quote, it's here at 4:00. Although it appears to be a little more sweeping then I originally thought, he says he never MET, not worked with, a leading lady that wasn't a bitch. And it seemed to be more like he was calling the other judge on what she was saying to the performer, that her attitude wouldn't be tolerated when he knew that wasn't how it worked.

by Anonymousreply 40912/30/2010

It was Eric Schaeffer and Bebe who didn't get along on "Skin of Our Teeth" (or whatever it was called down at the Signature). She was gone after only few days of rehearsals, less than a week. Hard to know who would have been the nastier bitch in that case, but it was Eric's theatre, so Bebe was the one who left.

by Anonymousreply 41112/30/2010

Brit Cheryl Campbell (from the Flowers for Algernon musical w/ Michael Crawford) started the MY FAIR LADY tour, but if I'm remembering right, she left fairly quickly and Ringham took over.

by Anonymousreply 41212/30/2010

This may be late in the thread r284, but I was in the room a few years later when someone asked McKellan what it was like working with Mirren and he said paraphrasing, that when he was onstage with her he would act and then go upstage to let her do whatever it is she does onstage. I met Mirren a few years later and she was gracious and lovely. Ian comes off a a bitter old cunt, He is mean and nasty.

by Anonymousreply 41312/30/2010

[quote] Brit Cheryl Campbell (from the Flowers for Algernon musical w/ Michael Crawford) started the MY FAIR LADY tour, but if I'm remembering right, she left fairly quickly and Ringham took over.%0D %0D %0D Thanks! I could not remember her name.

by Anonymousreply 41412/30/2010

I have to agree with R413 about Mirren. Last year, when Mariah Carey was getting a lot of positive buzz for "Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Williamn Safire" (a role that Helen had to back out of at the last minute), Mirren was incredibly supportive of Carey.%0D %0D I witnessed a nice exchange at the 2009 Palm Springs Film Festival awards dinner when Mirren walked over to Carey and her entourage, knelt down in front of Mariah's chair and clasped both her hands in her own and chatted with her for several minutes. It was such a humble and gracious gesture on Mirren's part and made me love her. (Mariah was also hiiiiiigh as a kite that evening, bu that's a story for another thread.)

by Anonymousreply 41512/30/2010

I understood from someone associated with GODOT that Nathan has a boyfriend and is currently quite the pussycat to be around.

(Of course, GODOT was several months ago.)

by Anonymousreply 41612/30/2010

For all his diva behavior, Nathan can't approach Harrison, who was a truly hateful man. I hope he's roasting in hell.

by Anonymousreply 41712/30/2010

I agree, Carole!

by Anonymousreply 41812/30/2010

I agree too!

by Anonymousreply 41912/30/2010

Well.. I cahn't!

by Anonymousreply 42012/30/2010

Would it be fair to expand the thread to include nasty people on broadway who are not actors? Like directors, agents, designers etc?

by Anonymousreply 42112/30/2010

Roger Rees is a perfect match for Bebe. He's not in the monster category that she is, but he's a pissy, nasty old queen. I'm sure the large store of bile flowing through both their veins is the foundation of their friendship.

by Anonymousreply 42212/30/2010

Already done, r421. Stone and the Weisslers have both been discussed.

by Anonymousreply 42312/30/2010

Don't say Stone, right? Isn't he Voldemort or something because he got his panties in a wad over past DL slander?%0D %0D This thread is great.

by Anonymousreply 42412/30/2010

God this thread has my mind buzzing with names I haven't thought of in years.

David guc??? Havent had to deal with that prick in years. He was fired from every agency he ever worked for including ( and famously) the GErsh Agency my which he started

Guc used to say about Kathleen turner: " I am such a great agent that I fucked katleen turner and DUMPED her and I am still her agent". One of the most physically repulsive people I have ever met btw

by Anonymousreply 42512/30/2010

Is John Buzzetti a great agent or not? I know he is ruthless but isn't that a good thing in an agent?

by Anonymousreply 42612/30/2010

any gossip on John Caird a director for les miserable? also frances ruffelle from les miz oriinal b-way cast, she won the tony

by Anonymousreply 42812/30/2010

Isn't Roger Gindi the nudist? Not heard anything about him being nasty but the thought of him nude...

by Anonymousreply 42912/31/2010

It was Cheryl Kennedy who played Eliza in the tour opposite Harrison. She was lovely and fresh and aside from some critical carping that she didn't have the singing voice of Julie Andrews she got a stronger audience reaction that Harrison's bored recreation of his original performance got. Even 90 year old Cathleen Nesbit was better than Harrison (at least at the performance I saw). I heard that as the tour approached NY, Harrison had Kennedy canned using her vocals as a cover and replaced her with Nancy Ringham who he knew would not get better reviews than his.

by Anonymousreply 43012/31/2010

any gossip on Les miserable original bway cast?

by Anonymousreply 43112/31/2010

I agree with R417-R419.

by Anonymousreply 43212/31/2010

During the Broadway run of "Les Miserables" Frances Ruffelle was having an affair with one of the shows married co-directors, John Caird. She got pregnant, and had bad morning sickness and left the show - very shortly after winning the Tony (the child is now the pop singer Eliza Doolittle). Cameron Mackintosh and Trevor Nunn were pissed. I believe there have been some hard feelings (which seemed to have softened) over the years - like when Mackintosh asked the members of the original London cast who were not already featured (i.e., Colm Wilkinson, Michael Ball) to be in the chorus of the 10th anniversary "dream" cast. Nunn and Caird got pissed at Mackintosh again this past year for creating a new tour staging for the show without consulting them.

by Anonymousreply 43312/31/2010

Why no success for John Rando since Urinetown?

by Anonymousreply 43412/31/2010

That is an interesting question 434, but I think "Dance of the Vampires" killed the wunderkind buzz he had.

Btw, Gersh in the 80's under the helm of the admittedly hideous David Guc was the hippest hottest agency in NYC for a while but once Mary Meagher left and I think then Ellen Curren all that was left was the coke and attitude.

Someone told me that they actually had an assistant at one point in the late 80's who was really primarily a dealer. I don't know if I believe that.

However when David Guc was fired because one of the junior agents was arrested in LA for [allegedly] bringing coke to a client, I always thought it was a set up.

by Anonymousreply 43512/31/2010

Joel Grey ain't no bed of roses, either. He decided that the cast of the 80s revival of CABARET (in which he creakily reprised his role) were undeserving of a Christmas party, so he demanded that it be cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 43612/31/2010

Gotta ask--WTF are these people's problems? Are they all that insecure or just sociopaths?

by Anonymousreply 43712/31/2010

Well, no one goes into show biz because they are well-adjusted and emotionally complete. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 43812/31/2010

James he well-liked and respected as a director?

by Anonymousreply 43912/31/2010

[quote] It was Cheryl Kennedy who played Eliza in the tour opposite Harrison. She was lovely and fresh and aside from some critical carping that she didn't have the singing voice of Julie Andrews she got a stronger audience reaction that Harrison's bored recreation of his original performance got. Even 90 year old Cathleen Nesbit was better than Harrison (at least at the performance I saw). I heard that as the tour approached NY, Harrison had Kennedy canned using her vocals as a cover and replaced her with Nancy Ringham who he knew would not get better reviews than his.

I remember seeing this production in L.A. at the Pantages Theatre when it came through here in the late 0s/early 80s. I remember liking Cheryl Kennedy very much in the role, and she cleaned up pretty good at the end of the Act I, too.

by Anonymousreply 44012/31/2010

Lapine's work is generally respected. Sondheim writes in his book that Lapine is one of the few capable of directing what he writes. What he's like personally, I don't know, but I've appreciated his directing and writing.

by Anonymousreply 44112/31/2010

"Marshall got back at her bby refusing to audition her for the movie version of CHICAGO."%0D %0D So he gets back by not casting someone who could have actually done the role justice. %0D %0D Marshall sounds like a little shit himself. He bailed on the Cher musical remake of "Mame" (everything was set to go) because he only wanted to do it with Barbra (who turned him down).

by Anonymousreply 44212/31/2010

Bullshit, r442. Bebe was far too tired by the time the movie of CHICAGO was made. CZJ was terrific in the role - she gave the movie the shot of adrenaline it needed.

Thank God he bailed on MAME with Cher - the only person who would have been more miscast in the role would have been Streisand (I have a hard time believing he asked her).

by Anonymousreply 44301/01/2011

436 -- I don't remember anything about a Christmas party, with or without Joel Grey's approval, although maybe it was only discussed behind closed doors or something. There were Halloween parties and all kinds of stuff, within the context of a company that basically didn't like each other all that much.

But he was a pain in the neck, aside from basically sucking in the show. He bothered the chorus girls offstage, and when they complained to management, he said his "character" was doing it, not "him." (He was pretending, as ever, not to be gay, and had heard that stars are supposed to bother chorus girls.) He badgered the psychotic dance captain into pushing the cast into endless daily rehearsals on the road because wasn't getting a big enough hand to suit him on the opening number. (Psychotic Dance Captain tormented the cast with gratuitous rehearsals until the day the sucker closed, including that day.)

And he went after a girl in the chorus upon whose foot he constantly stepped, blaming her for "being in the wrong place." (He was in the wrong place.) A huge brouhaha followed with multiple phone calls to Equity and a company meeting in which the stage manager basically threatened the entire company, and they threw it back in his face with a vengeance. Fun times!

That kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 44401/01/2011

Gregg Edelman was screwing Alyson Reed on tha one, wasn't he, r444? And it went sour and caused much unhappiness?

by Anonymousreply 44501/01/2011

R444- Going as far back as the original production, Joel Grey was obnoxious to cast and crew. He bothered the chorus girls. Jill Haworth grew to hate him.

by Anonymousreply 44601/01/2011

There's a decent bootleg video of that Alyson Reed/Joel Grey production. Sad that will likely be the only preservation of a production that was based on the original Hal Prince concept. Since the Roundabout revival, all productions of CAB feel that you have to go further in the shock department.

by Anonymousreply 44701/01/2011

R444- Do you happen to know the names of the other actresses considered for Sally for that 1987 revival? I once asked John Kander but he couldn't remember.%0D Do you have any names?

by Anonymousreply 44801/01/2011

Are you kidding? Cher would have been a terrific "Mame". The fact that Marshall wanted Streisand shows that he can't cast for shit. (As if Renee what her face in "Chicago" wasn't proof of that.)%0D %0D CZJ was good, but Neuwirth would have been superior. You have to suck it up sometimes in show business and go with the right person, not the one who kisses your ass the most.

by Anonymousreply 44901/01/2011

In the original Cabaret, Joel Grey was listed below Lotte Lenya, Jill Haworth, Jack Gilford and even Bert Convy. He had a reason to be bitter, considering he practically carried the show on his narrow little shoulders.%0D %0D Hal Prince finally elevated his billing to the same line as the others only after he won a Supporting Actor Tony.%0D %0D He was the only cast member to recreate his role in the film. I do wonder if Bob Fosse even considered anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 45001/01/2011

At her age, Cher would have been a ridiculous Mame, and she would have been older than Lucy when she did the role. Cher cannot suggest the sophistication of the role and neither did Lucy.%0D %0D I saw Bebe do Velma several times starting with Long Beach. I also saw Chita. I thought both were good but CZJ brought the right quality for the movie. Between the three, my favorite was Rivera but there's no way she should ever been photographed in close-up as her cameo in the movie proved.

by Anonymousreply 45101/01/2011

Cher also lacks the glamour for Mame. Her kind of glamour is based on shock and trash and tartiness, all kinds of qualities that are totally wrong for MAME. She would have been a disaster, which Marshall wisely realized.

Bebe Neuwith in the movie of Chicago would also have been a disaster, though not as egregious a one as Cher in MAME.

But then, Barbra Streisand in MAME would have been a disaster too, which she undoubtedly knew and that's why she turned it down (assuming that story is true).

by Anonymousreply 45201/01/2011

Well, to be fair, r451, Chita was an old lady by the time she did her bit in the movie of CHICAGO. She looks fine in close-up in SWEET CHARITY, 35 years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 45301/01/2011

Juliet Prowse was good in Long Beach. I'm not sure Encores would have hired both her and Bebe since it would have felt like they were just importing the Long Beach production (which Reinking also choreographed). Kaye Ballard was a hoot as Mama Morton, and they had Barney Martin and Michael O'Haughey back from the original as Amos and Mary Sunshine. O'Haughey was looking pretty tired by that point. Oh, and Gary Sandy played Billy Flynn.

Prowse also played Phyllis in the Long Beach FOLLIES.

by Anonymousreply 45501/01/2011

Prowse's line readings are wonderful on the Long Beach Follies bootleg. Proof that she could act, despite some iffy performances in her youth.

by Anonymousreply 45601/01/2011

"(assuming that story is true)."%0D %0D Google is your friend, dear. There's no need to question when it's all over the web.%0D %0D As for Cher, if you saw "Tea with Mussolini" you would know that she is completely capable of handling a part like "Mame" %0D %0D Zeta Jones got by on Marshall's slice and dice direction. We all saw the infamous Tony performance.

by Anonymousreply 45701/01/2011

[quote] Zeta Jones got by on Marshall's slice and dice direction. We all saw the infamous Tony performance.

Yes, and I actually saw her in the role at the Walter Kerr, which was far different and far better than the Tony performance.

by Anonymousreply 45801/01/2011

Oh, yes, Cher in "Tea with Mussolini" was SO much like Mame.

Maggie Smith at the age of 70 would have been a better Mame than Cher at the age of 55. Ugh. Jerry Herman dodged a bullet with that one.

by Anonymousreply 45901/01/2011

Maggie Smith is a Vera. Judi Dench is a Mame.

by Anonymousreply 46001/01/2011

The LBCLO production of "Chicago" was really similar to the Broadway production and a few performances were cancelled because of the Rodney King riots, meaning the show was so topical that life was imitating art. I thought the show was much better than the revival.%0D %0D Prowse played Roxie but Reinking was going to play Velma but pulled out and brought in Bebe. The show also featured Jim Borstelmann and original cast members Cheryl Clark as Hunyak and M. O'Haughey as Mary Sunshine. Jennifer Nairn-Smith played Kitty. With the exception of Sandy, who wasn't bad but not up the level of the others, it was a great cast that did full justice to the show.

by Anonymousreply 46101/01/2011

Chita is marvelous onstage, but she has a brittle, unpleasant quality on film. She has the ability to turn any role into an unsympathetic, quasi-villainess. It's no wonder that Rita Moreno got the latina/ethnic roles.

by Anonymousreply 46201/01/2011

Okay, we're kind of getting off track here. Can we please get back to the Broadway nastiness and bitchery?

All other discussions should go over to the theatre gossip thread.

by Anonymousreply 46301/01/2011

Okay, Jerry Ohrbach was said to be a total asshole in "Chicago." Did you know his wife got into a fight with Pearl Bailey at "Sardis" because she was upset with Rex Reed. Reed was interviewing Bailey and she came storming to the table. Bailey went ghetto on her and wifey went into Shubert Alley with her tail between her cunt. And Bailey was no shrinking violet herself.

by Anonymousreply 46401/01/2011

Poor Jerry. That's what singing flat does to you.

by Anonymousreply 46501/01/2011

Matthew Morrison yelled at me and pushed me against the lockers at Equinox once.

by Anonymousreply 46601/01/2011

Isn't this thread about nasties on Bway?

I don't get the Cher in Mame stuff. Is that true? Frankly I think she's be great.

by Anonymousreply 46701/01/2011

It wasn't on Broadway, and she wasn't nasty, but a friend who worked with Butterfly McQueen once in the hinterlands (Kansas City) said she was impossibly flighty and kept slipping off to nap in the bathtub.

by Anonymousreply 46801/01/2011

Rex Reed always called Orbach out about singing flat, I'm sure that's why his wife was pissed.

Orbach did the tour of Chicago (post-Broadway) with two nobodies. He was the only one above the title, and he had it in his contract that the only person who could go above the title with him was Gwen Verdon if she were to return to the show (there were rumors that she might do the LA run).

Well, Gwen and Chita both decided they would do the California run of the show. They went in the final week in Chicago, and then opened in LA. But because of Jerry's contract, Chita had to go below the title, although all three had been above the title on Broadway. Orbach refused to let Chita share billing with him.

That's honestly the only "asshole" story I've ever heard about Orbach. I've heard other things about him, but they're all about what a great guy he was.

by Anonymousreply 46901/01/2011

"went into Shubert Alley with her tail between her cunt"

by Anonymousreply 47001/01/2011

I'm sorry, but I can't imagine Chita or her agent (or even Jerry for that matter) agreeing to be under Jerry's name in any circumstance in any verson of Chicago.%0D %0D And what is this Long Beach theater being constantly referenced here (as well as over at ATC by that prick stevensstage) as if it's second only to Broadway. I imagine it as a kind of St. Louis MUNY aquacade on a sandy beach. Is it an indoor theater?

by Anonymousreply 47101/01/2011

[quote] With the exception of Sandy, who wasn't bad but not up the level of the others,

r461, Sandy who at LBCLO?

by Anonymousreply 47201/01/2011

r472%0D %0D Gary

by Anonymousreply 47301/01/2011

He was hot though. What was he packing on WKRP?

by Anonymousreply 47401/01/2011

I wonder if stevenstage is the odious stevenstanley who used to post elsewhere?

by Anonymousreply 47501/01/2011

Believe it, r471. Jerry Orbach was the star of the National Touring Company. Penny Worth and Carolyn Kirsch were Roxie and Velma. Verdon and Rivera replaced them for the last few weeks in Chicago, prior to moving on to L.A. When the production opened in L.A., it was on a new contract and Verdon and Rivera were no longer "replacements" and the billing was handled more equitably.

by Anonymousreply 47601/02/2011

Kirsch was McKechnie's understudy in the original ACL and also covered Sheila. It must have been terrible to hear the boos when they announced "The part of Cassie, normally played by Donna Mckechnie will be played by Carolyn Kirsch."%0D %0D I think Penny Worth eventually was in the original "Annie" playing Grace.%0D %0D In other words, they were indeed two nobodies. Nobody knew who Orbach was either, but at least he had some pedigree.

by Anonymousreply 47701/02/2011

Chita was indeed below the title in LA. Gwen had top (left-hand) billing, Jerry O on the right and Chita was "starring Chita Rivera" below the title. On Broadway, Gwen as top in the left, Chita on the right, and Jerry below them (but above the title).

by Anonymousreply 47801/02/2011

The nastiest person I have ever had the displeasure of working with was Debbie Shapiro Gravitte, Tony winner for her work in Jerome Robbins' Broadway. Just a nasty piece of work in every respect. There is a reason she hasn't really worked since.

by Anonymousreply 47901/02/2011

When did you work with her, r479? I heard she was a terror in the 80s, but I worked with her in the 90s, after motherhood had apparently mellowed her. I think it was the desperate ambition that got to her before, but with a Tony and three kids, she developed a sense of humor about herself. She was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 48001/02/2011

The two worst cunts in British theatre are Patricia Hodge (rude, unpleasant, cold) and Barbara Windsor.%0D %0D Both the stories about Barbara Windsor are before her time in Eastenders, and from when she was doing panto.%0D %0D The first story was from 2 people who worked in the theatre. She would swear in front of all the kids, humiliate the stage hands and hated the rest of the cast. She didn't like that she only had one song so had them take a song from the leading lady to give to her. There was also a story about how she was about to go on stage one night, and before she left her dressing room, pulled out her tampon and gave it to her dresser. She'd wash her fanny in the tiny sinky in the dressing room in front of anyone who was there - no graces.%0D %0D And the other story was from someone who had the misfortune to spend Christmas day with her when she was on another panto. Dinner was at a house Babs was sharing with some of the cast and crew. She was slumped at the table, comletely hungover, in her bra and knickers, no wig, no make up, and chain smoked her way through the meal. When she went to the toilet half way through the main course (she told everyone she'd had the shits really bad) everyone else decided to go to the pub instead of having dessert. They didn't need to as she went back to bed. Horrible woman.

by Anonymousreply 48101/02/2011

Could the Jerry Orbach story be more about the agent, than Jerry? Always found him to be lovely but over the years the nastiest stories I have heard have always been about agents and pr people. From what I understand, sometimes their clients have no idea these outrageous demands are going on.

by Anonymousreply 48301/02/2011

WEHT Debbie's husband Beau Gravitte? He was so handsome and a witty comic actor. Have the two of them left the business?

by Anonymousreply 48401/02/2011

Interesting about Patricia Hodge. I've been enjoying her on "Miranda".

If R198 is still out there, I wouldn't mind hearing about some Canadian actors.

by Anonymousreply 48501/02/2011

Going alone with what R469 said - Penny Worth (Roxie) and Kirsten Childs (Velma) were in that tour with Orbach. True, his name was above the title.

by Anonymousreply 48601/02/2011

[quote]Jerry Orbach was the star of the National Touring Company. Penny Worth and Carolyn Kirsch were Roxie and Velma. %0D %0D %0D apologies! I thought Childs was the first Velma in the tour. My mistake.

by Anonymousreply 48701/02/2011

310/313 reporting. The billing squabble reported her with Jerry Orbach does sound a bit out of character for him. Orbach was a "mans man" in the musical theater world and he was generally regarded as a pretty nice guy. The Law & Order era Orbach was universally loved by one and all who worked with him. Jerry was always looking out for the NY actors doing a day on L&O and making sure everyone was treated right.

The billing thing sounds like a pissing contest the agent got into perhaps trying to use it as leverage to get something else for Jerry or one of his other clients he was negotiating for with the producer.

Penny Worth and Carolyn Kricsh! wow, two names I haven't seen for a while. They weren't "nobodies" as someone called them on this page.

It is a pet peeve of mine but there aren't any "nobodies" on Broadway.

If you are good enough to be hired to even walk on a Broadway stage, you deserve respect. People have no idea the talent and determination it takes to get on Broadway.

Even if that talent is in the bedroom LOL, what the hell, that deserves some respect as well.. and you can ALWAYS tell who those people are.

by Anonymousreply 48801/02/2011

Penny Worth and Carolyn Kirsch performing at a Dancers Over 40 look at Bob Fosse.

by Anonymousreply 48901/02/2011

Debbie still does concerts and single night stands and Beau was in the original cast of LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA at Lincoln Center.

Debbie, btw, is a fucking horror.

by Anonymousreply 49001/02/2011

what about alec baldwin

by Anonymousreply 49101/02/2011

I have a lot to say about Mr. Baldwin, but I'm going to keep my opinions to myself this time.

by Anonymousreply 49201/02/2011

R477, Sandy Faison was the orginal Grace in Annie. Penny Worth was in the ensemble and covered Hannigan.

I knew that sounded wrong, I was glued to that OBC recording when I was a kid and memorized the cast.

Here is the link from the ibdb page, which is often wrong, but, this time it is right.

by Anonymousreply 49301/02/2011

R480 I worked with her about 7 years ago. She exhibited no sense of humor about herself or anything else and was a complete nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 49401/02/2011

'If you are good enough to be hired to even walk on a Broadway stage, you deserve respect. People have no idea the talent and determination it takes to get on Broadway.'%0D %0D Like the cast of GOOD VIBRATIONS, R488? Not everyone, especially lately, who is on Broadway is talented. Some of them are just lucky. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 49501/02/2011

[quote]The Law & Order era Orbach was universally loved by one and all who worked with him. Jerry was always looking out for the NY actors doing a day on L&O and making sure everyone was treated right.%0D %0D A friend who's a NY actor got a featured role on the show; he was young, unknown, and nervous about the first day of shooting. He said Orbach couldn't have been more gracious and welcoming. Orbach's kindness to a young actor made my friend forget about his nerves and he had a great time on the shoot.

by Anonymousreply 49601/02/2011

495, I didn't see "Good Vibrations" and I don't even know who was in it, so I can't comment about that specific production.

Of course shitty people appear on Broadway, that I can't argue with. My point was poorly expressed and my premise was off base.

What I was responding to was the dismissal of Peny Worth and Carol Kirsch as "nobodies" because they weren't stars.

The point I was trying to make [albeit ineptly] was that there are many seriously talented performers on NY stages who aren't "stars".

Conversely there significantly talent challenged stars of stage and screen.

by Anonymousreply 49701/02/2011

They ARE nobodies. They may have talent, they may have even had starring roles but to the general public, they don't know them from Adam. "Chicago" especially is a star vehicle and to place actresses like Worth and Kirsch in it as the leads is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 49801/02/2011

I worked with Raquel Welch once. It was like working with Barbie. Klaus Barbie.

by Anonymousreply 49901/02/2011

It was the rare Broadway musical pre 1980 or so that was created and intended as a star vehicle that could get away without a name star as a replacement in the lead.%0D %0D And 303/310/313whatever, bits and bobs guy: Adore your posts, could listen to you all day! Please don't stop posting your thoughts/gossip. TIA!

by Anonymousreply 50001/02/2011

But how do the Shapiro-Gravittes support themselves and their three growing kids on Debbie's meager concert fees and Beau's five year old LORT salary?%0D %0D There must be some family money there.

by Anonymousreply 50101/02/2011

Beau does A LOT of voiceover work - he has that wonderful honey baritone.

by Anonymousreply 50201/02/2011

Alec Baldwin is beyond abusive. Asshole, through and through. His treatment of Jan Maxwell was tame compared to how he treats the little people who deign to pass through his shadow on a daily basis. And, quite frankly, he doesn't have stage chops anymore. His 30 ROCK schtick of whispering all his lines doesn't translate to the stage. Funny as hell on TV, though. (Oh, and has anyone seem him on the street lately? He has roughly the proportions of a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade float.)

by Anonymousreply 50301/02/2011

what about ruthie henshall from London theater?

by Anonymousreply 50401/02/2011

I saw Penny Worth in the How to Succeed revival in LA in 1975 (touring, it never played NY) and she was really terrific as Rosemary. Unfortunately Morse was was middle-aged and stout by that point, and Rudy Vallee was practically drooling as he wandered around the stage.

Worth got rave reviews, and seemed to be stardom bound.

by Anonymousreply 50501/02/2011

Ruthie's not a monster, but she's not warm and fuzzy, either. Cool and professional, but not overly friendly.

by Anonymousreply 50601/02/2011

Penny Worth did a stock production of CHICAGO with Kirsten Childs and Larry Kert. Starlight Theatre.I thought she was great. And I saw the original with Verdon, Orbach and Rivera twice. But Worth was fine and held her own against Gwen Verdon. Years later, I saw Worth in GRAND HOTEL. She was the u/s for Karen Akers.

by Anonymousreply 50701/02/2011

That Starlight tour opened in Indianapolis with Larry Kert, Penny Worth and Lenora Nemetz. The Indianapolis presenter demanded about 50 script changes, many of which Nemetz blew off, especially substituting "Poop!" for "Shit!" when Roxie announced she's pregnant. I believe the producer filed a complaint at Equity and Miss Nemetz was heavily fined. Always stay away from Indianapolis. No good can come from it.

by Anonymousreply 50801/02/2011

mamasay mamasa mamakusa

by Anonymousreply 50901/02/2011

We're losing sight of the nasty folk.

by Anonymousreply 51001/02/2011

Alec Baldwin called me a "rude thoughtless little pig".

Really, I don't think we need to debate whether he's an asshole or not.

by Anonymousreply 51101/02/2011

Ireland, you probably deserved a vicious face-slapping and then some. Your daddy may have anger issues but he can sit on my face anytime.

by Anonymousreply 51201/03/2011

Ah, R444, you must be speaking of Bonnie Walker, the nazi dance captain calling rehearsals on the closing day of CABARET. I've heard that story before, too. Bonnie makes a career out of productions of GYPSY, recreating the Robbins choreography. She's a little nuts.%0D %0D And then there was Bob Kellogg and his boy toy Karl something -- who lurked around backstage and came to the attention of Joel Grey. Grey wanted him out of the theatre, but Bob intervened and spewed some bullshit about "teaching the young people". I can't believe he didn't realize this Karl guy was using him as an "in" to the business.

by Anonymousreply 51301/03/2011

Bonnie was also in the original 1966 production of CABARET.%0D Her parents ran Walker School of Dance in Springfield, Mo. Mom was a little nuts too but always fun.

by Anonymousreply 51401/03/2011

All That Jazz was on TV last night. When it debuted years ago, I saw so many familiar faces among the chorus kids auditioning in the first scene. Now I recognized almost no one.%0D %0D Where are they all now? %0D %0D Also in my memory, Leland Palmer had been all gussied up as Joe Gideon's wife to resemble Gwen Verdon but actually she was made to look as little like her as possible, unlike in Pippin where Fosse was clearly paying homage. Nevertheless, like Gwen, she did not have a face for the camera.

by Anonymousreply 51501/03/2011

R515, Leland Schwantes is now a hand model. When Chita Rivera had her nightclub act, she was on "Merv Griffin" and Merv definitely had a thing for him.%0D %0D Cheryl Clark was the original lead in the Sandahl Bergman part but when she refused to take off her top, Fosse fired her and replaced her with Sandahl.%0D %0D Leland Palmer is now Linda Posner. She was starting to gain some attention in Hollywood before she chucked it to study Judaism.%0D %0D Beth Foldi left the business and became a born again Xtian.

by Anonymousreply 51601/03/2011

Love that clip, 516, thanks. probably the highest concentration of gay units per second You Tube.

by Anonymousreply 51701/03/2011

Who is the Plus 3 with the exceedingly hairy chest? I couldn't catch his name?

by Anonymousreply 51801/03/2011

Surprising that Fosse replaced Clark with Bergman. Bergman's tits were distractingly fake. Though she was gorgeous otherwise, of course.

by Anonymousreply 51901/03/2011

I don't think Fosse had any other dancers who could have done the part aside from Clark and Bergman. Too bad for Cheryl because it would have been a big break for her.%0D %0D Jennifer Nairn Smith is in the movie and was the inspiration for the Deborah Geffner character. She was also the inspiration, along with Reinking, for the 3way sequence, which featured Vicki Frederick. Vicki is now a very, very, very rich woman. Married well but had a super bad coke problem when she was doing "Dancin".

by Anonymousreply 52001/03/2011

Holy crap, Vicki Frederick. I haven't heard of her since she was in All the Marbles, a really crappy movie about lady wrestlers that also starred Peter Falk. Early 80s. I thought she was really hot in that though.

by Anonymousreply 52101/04/2011

Vicki got the ATM part by, you guessed it, sleeping with the head of MGM. It was between her and Kathleen Turner for Iris, if you can believe that. He was her first husband before she found megabucks husband #2.%0D %0D If you saw the performance of "Music and the Mirror" from the ACL record breaking performance, you can easily spot her because no one could rock the long hair like Vicki.

by Anonymousreply 52201/04/2011

R522, was it Kirk Krekorian who was heading up MGM at the time?

There are some great stories about Krekorian and his ex-wife (married one month), Lisa Bonder, who tried to pass Steve Bing's kid off as Kirk's to get some of his fortune.

by Anonymousreply 52301/04/2011

No, it wasn't. I can't remember the guy's name but there was a pretty big scandal about him because it was learned he also was once a porn straight porn, alas. He obviously wasn't as big as Krikorian but he was influential enough to get Vicki the lead in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 52401/04/2011

R516, that clip is so infectiously gay my monitor ran off and joined the Navy.

by Anonymousreply 52501/04/2011

Isn't Vicki Frederick Sheila in the ACL movie? If so, it only proves she was never intended for film stardom.

by Anonymousreply 52601/04/2011

Vicki Frederick has the most unbelievable head of hair I've ever seen. Nice lady, too. And when she played Cassie in ACL on Broadway, I believe she sang "Music and the Mirror" a complete octave lower than Donna McKechnie. And now, back to nasty people.

Crista Moore (who, even with Bacall in the cast, was the most universally loathed person in Waiting in the Wings)

Melissa Errico (just for starters, kicked her dresser in the head for not lacing her shoes quickly enough)

Janine LaManna (from Suessical and the Sweet Charity revival). A true cunt. They fired Natascia Diaz from Charity out of town because she was difficult and replaced her with JLaM? Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire.

Heard from many people that Byron Jennings is a nasty piece of work.

Linda Lavin - 90% of the people I know who have worked with her have loathed her.

Brooks Ashmanskas - evil offstage and painful to watch onstage.

And even though people swear otherwise, I wasn't impressed with Debra Monk the few times I worked with her. Humorless and thinks she's a star.

Raquel Welch

Jeremy Irons

And I won't even sully the word actor by applying it to that untalented poisonous dwarfette Jen Cody.

by Anonymousreply 52701/04/2011

Jen Cody was so bored at some musical that she made fart noises (mouth against hand like grade school) during the invited dress.%0D Can't remember the name of the show but it was that musical with Jess Boevers.. about death. Was it called In the Life?? Played the Music Box Theatre I believe.

by Anonymousreply 52801/04/2011

People are constantly confusing me with my less sexy, goodie-two-shoes sister. %0D %0D Fine by me. If they only knew... all that shit backstage at SPIDERMAN? %0D %0D No accident. Heh-heh.

by Anonymousreply 52901/04/2011

527 any details on the Byron jennings nastiness? Btw He is Married to actress/heiress Carolyn mckormack

by Anonymousreply 53001/04/2011

[quote]Brooks Ashmanskas - evil offstage and painful to watch onstage.

I have never heard that Brooks is evil: a bossy-bottom whore, a ham actor, a gossipy high school girl, but not evil. My question is how did he get along with Nathan Lane during the Producers? He was an understudy for Mathew Brodrick, and Nathan generally hated the understudies.

by Anonymousreply 53101/04/2011

Ashmanskas can be a major trouble maker backstage. During "Little Me," Martin Short was not happy with the Roundabout folk and he stirred things up a good deal. Ashmanskas took it as a license to do the same damned thing. A nasty little piece of work that one is. Certainly not good enough on stage to have to put up with all that backstage. No way.

by Anonymousreply 53201/04/2011

Melissa Errico is evil. And it's absolutely the reason her career hasn't gone further, despite the fact she's gotten every break in the world.

by Anonymousreply 53301/04/2011

r527 - details on Jeremy Irons and Christa Moore, please.

by Anonymousreply 53401/04/2011

r 531: I'd love to know how Nathan got along with Brad Oscar. Brad saved Nathan's ass many times when The Star had vocal problems in Broadway AND London.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 53501/04/2011

Melissa was a nasty piece of work when she was a budding ingenue. However, once her TV show, Central Park West, failed, she had to come crawling back to the theater world and by then, she had lost her momentum and few wanted her. So she ended up doing crap like that awful Vampire show where she had to bare her breasts for no reason and White Christmas. Watching her disrobe, I *almost* felt sorry for her, since she was clearly suffering a terrible humiliation. But memories of how nasty she was to the company management team I was on on a show quickly squelched any sympathy I had for her.

I will say that I have heard she's no longer a terror and her repeated failures, plus the fact that Laura Benanti basically has the career she should have had, have made her a much nicer person to work with.

by Anonymousreply 53601/04/2011

Someone else bared their breasts in DRACULA?! I need to check the bootleg video.

by Anonymousreply 53701/04/2011

Melissa must have calmed down considerably if she wore those awful unflattering costumes in White Xmas without complaining.

by Anonymousreply 53801/04/2011

I don't know that Byron is a terror. He's very particular. Maybe because he's married to an heiress but he won't do press on any of his shows, he doesn't really partake in company outings or parties and he pretty much keeps to himself. Whereas the company likes to bond with the staff and crew, he's pretty much indifferent to the social interactions that go on backstage and behind the scenes. People do regard that as unfriendly, I always thought it was more just that he was there to do a job and not interested in socializing.

by Anonymousreply 53901/04/2011

I totally agree with r539 on Byron. He's a perfectly pleasant and very professional cold fish. %0D %0D Just don't ask him to cut his hair!

by Anonymousreply 54001/04/2011

Great thread, people. Any Michael Cerveris stories?

by Anonymousreply 54101/04/2011

Cerveris is passive-aggressive and wears too much cologne.

by Anonymousreply 54201/04/2011

Laura Benanti has 10 times the talent of Melissa Errico. She is not known for being entirely pleasant, either - but nothing near Mrs. McEnroe.

by Anonymousreply 54301/05/2011

He wears COLOGNE? Eew.

by Anonymousreply 54401/05/2011

Jennings wife---McCormick Vodka or McCormick seasonings??

by Anonymousreply 54501/05/2011

who is the understudy in The Producers Lane had fired? the "straight" one who wrote that book?

by Anonymousreply 54601/05/2011

Jefrey Denman?

by Anonymousreply 54701/05/2011

I don't think Jeffrey Denman was fired but it did sound like after he went on for a weekend when Matthew Broderick was scheduled to be out he never went on again. Even his book hints at that.

by Anonymousreply 54801/05/2011

r548 The way I heard it was that he fell out of favor with Brooks because he wrote his book without permission and Brooks came out with his own book around the same time. Also, I don't think he was Nathan's favorite either. Denham's book has an intro by Matthew but Nathan's was no where to be found.

by Anonymousreply 54901/05/2011

Does anyone know the the original story about the Helen Mirren/Ian McKellan/ David Strathairn hate triangle.

I honestly have read every post in this wonderful thread but I cannot locate the initial post.

by Anonymousreply 55001/05/2011

I don't think there was ever a reason stated for the Mirren/McKellan/Strathairn hate except for a poster reporting that apparently Sir Ian suggested to David that he might learn sometning about playing his (David's) role if watched his (David's ) understudy rehearse.%0D %0D Or did I miss something?

by Anonymousreply 55101/05/2011

Uh......Julia Murney, anyone? I can't believe it took 552 posts!

by Anonymousreply 55201/05/2011

r 549: I think Stroman was also pissed at Denman for his book for some reason. I don't see why as he's very nice about everybody and doesn't dish dirt.%0D %0D Backstage at THE PRODUCERS was very tense. You never knew what Nathan's mood would be like day to day and you never knew when Mel and his huge ego would stop by and make "suggestions".

by Anonymousreply 55301/05/2011

Julia Murney???? She can be a little chilly, but she also can be very sweet.

Not worth mentioning. Seriously. I have known her forever, and she's a decent human being, believe me...

by Anonymousreply 55401/05/2011

[quote]The way I heard it was that he fell out of favor with Brooks because he wrote his book without permission and Brooks came out with his own book around the same time

Brooks Ashmanskas wrote a book?

by Anonymousreply 55501/06/2011

Brooks Ass-mans-kiss can hardly read a book, much less write one.

The reference is to MEL Brooks.

by Anonymousreply 55601/06/2011

Jamie LaVerdiere is the Leo understudy who got canned by Nathan.%0D

by Anonymousreply 55701/06/2011

Jennings wife is spice heiress

by Anonymousreply 55801/06/2011

Whatever happened to cutie Don Goodspeed?

Googling showing nothing

Please don't tell me he's in Broadway heaven -- I'll be sad

by Anonymousreply 55901/06/2011

Never fear... I saw Don Goodspeed in a restaurant on 9th Avenue about a month ago... Still very handsome, and aging incredibly well - how old is he? 55? I think he's completely out of the business - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 56001/06/2011

Thanks 560

glad to hear he's alive and dreamy

by Anonymousreply 56101/06/2011

Susan Stroman: talk about the emperor's new clothes. When I finally saw the Producers, I thought "THIS IS IT??" It was tiresome and not funny.

by Anonymousreply 56201/06/2011

[quote]Jamie LaVerdiere is the Leo understudy who got canned by Nathan.

Canned from being an understudy, or canned from the show.

I actually saw LaVerdiere - he was pretty good, and it was a very clean performance, no fumbles.

by Anonymousreply 56301/06/2011

What was the Daniel Davis flap about on the earlier revival of La Cage?

by Anonymousreply 56401/06/2011

From what I know 564, Davis was universally loathed by all on that production but don't know specifics. I think he was especially nasty to his leadingan if I recall correctly.

by Anonymousreply 56501/07/2011

Jamie LaVerdiere is married to Christiane Noll.

by Anonymousreply 56601/07/2011

Daniel Davis hasn't worked on a NY stage since he got canned from the last LA CAGE revival. He really blew it - he was a nasty prick to Gary Beach (his leading "lady") and the rest of the company, and said some nasty bitchy things to them backstage. He really dug his own grave.%0D %0D He's back in NY for the first time doing the new Gurney play at Primary Stages now - it's still in previews so there's still hope he'll get canned again - it's doubtful the leopard can change its spots.

by Anonymousreply 56701/07/2011

The is something more to the Daniel Davis/La Cage story, but I don't know what it is. Daniel Davis has done a fair amount of work on Broadway. He did not have a reputation before La Cage. He had done Invention of Love and The Frogs shortly before La Cage. I know he is a diabetic and that can cause mercurial behavior, but this seems more than that. Two people involves with the production said that he would be a absolute horror in the theater, but be kindness itself when he met them during the day, away from the theater.

by Anonymousreply 56801/07/2011

[quote]Does anyone know the the original story about the Helen Mirren/Ian McKellan/ David Strathairn hate triangle.

No, but I know that if Hellen Mirren married Ian McKellan she'd be Helen McKellen.

by Anonymousreply 56901/07/2011

but why did jamie laverdiere get fired? what did he ever do to Lane?

by Anonymousreply 57001/07/2011

What about Sarah Uriarte Berry? I've only met her briefly when a friend worked on one of those Broadway By The Year shows at Town Hall, but for some reason, she just came across as brittle and very bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 57101/07/2011

I've worked with Danny Davis a few times over many years and it's true that he is mercurial (perfect word!)...not sure what the cause is but from my experience he was always pleasant if not exactly easy. %0D %0D Like so many of the actors mentioned in this thread, he becomes difficult when he senses he's in a situation where he's not being trusted and respected.

by Anonymousreply 57201/07/2011

Do you know, R572, if Daniel Davis liked working on The Nanny with Fran Drescher? I've heard that it was a happy set.

by Anonymousreply 57301/07/2011

At the time Davis got fired from La Cage, many examples of his overall nasty behavior turned up on the internet. Someone even said that he penned his dog in a dark closet all day and that the dog eventually went blind due to living in darkness.

by Anonymousreply 57401/07/2011

Re: Davis and Drescher:

Davis was the ONLY series regular who didn't appear in The Nanny Reunion Special - everyone else, even the semi-regulars like Ann Guilbert and Rachel Chagall (Val) was there.

Rumor has it everyone on set (esp. Fran) didn't want him there...

by Anonymousreply 57501/07/2011

I'd still swallow Tom Wopat's cum.

by Anonymousreply 57601/07/2011

Penny Worth - (who couldn't be nicer) didn't she get brain cancer or something and survive, but cannot or does not work?? She's related to Billie Worth of the London CALL ME MADAM.

Sarah Berry - didn't she sick out of that SOUND OF MUSIC in Nyack with Marty Vidnovic, directed by DL fave Richard Sabellico? And they had to put on a local girl in a hurry?

Speaking of, what happened to that theatre? They did some good shows and brought NYC names.

Diaz, Murney, some of the names brought up here.

by Anonymousreply 57701/07/2011

The case of Melissa Errico is really not that she is evil. It's a combination of 2 things. 1 is that her early reviews were so unbelievably rapturous that it was impossible for her to live up to them. The other is that she is so weird socially, really has blinders on to focus solely on her own wants and needs. Not really evil, she's just a huge whiner.

Sarah Uriarte Berry is a much more sad case. She's really lovely as a person, even if she is opinionated, and she is extraordinarily talented. After Piazza, which I think she should have been nominated for, I thought she'd get more interesting work. It didn't happen, and now she's in her 40s with 3 small children.

by Anonymousreply 57801/07/2011

I worked with Sarah years ago and found her to be professional, talented, and incredibly spoiled. She behaved like a teenager at times. But it never got in the way of the show, she just seemed a bit socially inept. Now mind you, I heard stories about her and Jeff McCarthy as the first replacements in Beauty and the Beast, and apparently he openly despised her, called her names to her face, etc....I have never worked with him so I have no idea if maybe he was the problem, but I could imagine someone not being too happy with her obnoxious behavior at the time.

by Anonymousreply 57901/07/2011

I'll cut Davis a whole lot of slack working with Jerry Zaks

Since the man had his heart attack he's lost all short term memory

he'll work on a scene one way, come back from a break then redirect it again a completely different way, totally forgetting what he just did

notes contradict themselves hourly

the actors feel like their doing a production of "Gaslight"

by Anonymousreply 58001/07/2011

r576 I have swallowed it and it's not that great....he needs to drink some pineapple juice or something.

by Anonymousreply 58101/07/2011

But don't actors love Jerry Zaks?

by Anonymousreply 58301/07/2011

Not all actors, r583.

by Anonymousreply 58401/07/2011

Richard Sabellico is a dl fave??

by Anonymousreply 58501/07/2011

Richard Sabellico is nobody's fave.

He only has a career because he sucked off Arthur Laurents to get into the Lansbury GYPSY, then directed the national tour.

by Anonymousreply 58601/08/2011

More Jen Cody stories, please. I've heard so much speculation about her and the bad press that "Taboo" received prior to opening. When she wants to jump ship, she tries to undermine an entire show? Sick.

by Anonymousreply 58701/08/2011

Tom Wopat has a big member. And tiny tits.%0D But his cum tasted fine to me.

by Anonymousreply 58801/08/2011

Wasn't Jen Cody sued for using John Rando and John Carrafa's original staging ideas for a regional or dinner theater version of Urinetown she was directing?%0D %0D Who was in the right in that case? And who won?

by Anonymousreply 58901/08/2011

Yes she was. What was the outcome of that case..%0D %0D Everybody connected with U'town vs. Jen 'Cuddles' Cody?

by Anonymousreply 59001/08/2011

David Harbour - any stories?

by Anonymousreply 59101/09/2011

Ask Daniel Davis about the little dog he blinded by leaving it in a pitch dark closet all day while he went off to work.

by Anonymousreply 59201/09/2011

Sorry r574, I didn't see your post. I was too busy helping little blind African orphans.

by Anonymousreply 59301/09/2011

This has been an unusually good thread!

by Anonymousreply 59401/09/2011

"Does anyone know the the original story about the Helen Mirren/Ian McKellan/David Strathairn hate triangle. I honestly have read every post in this wonderful thread but I cannot locate the initial post."%0D %0D The original post in this thread had to do with whether Nathan Lane somehow pushed Strathairn out of the Roundabout WAITING FOR GODOT in favor of John Glover. Then someone else mentioned that, during the run of DANCE OF DEATH, Ian McKellan suggested that Strathairn watch his (Strathairn's) understudy in the role to learn how to play it better.%0D %0D Regarding GODOT, a later poster did state that Lane pushed to have Glover cast. Not sure what really went down, but I can also imagine Strathairn, who is both very nice and very smart, seeing what was up and deciding that life is too short to put up with Lane's antics. Strathairn has been around long enough to know what he does and doesn't want to do.%0D %0D As for DANCE OF DEATH, there was no hate triangle really. I don't know how Strathairn reacted to McKellan's suggestion - it would depend on how it was delivered. But McKellan can be a patronizing bitch when he wants to. To be fair though, Strathairn was not good in DANCE - an anomaly based on the work of his I've seen. %0D %0D I'm pretty sure Strathairn and Mirren got along all right - during the run she showed up at a fund-raiser with him for the North Star Fund, an organization he's involved with. %0D %0D However, in her recent book, she mentions doing DANCE on Broadway and doesn't mention him, and the photo from the show showing her and McKellan taking a bow has Strathairn cropped out of it. So who knows?%0D %0D There was rancor between Mirren and McKellan, as was noted in another posting.

by Anonymousreply 59501/09/2011

Are R582/592 talking about the same Daniel Davis who was on "The Nanny"?

by Anonymousreply 59601/09/2011

By the end of Dance of Death, Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen were not on good terms and did not like each other.

By the time they were in mid rehearsal the tensions had begun to rise between the two of them as Ian began complaining about Helen not "playing off of him" in the scenes. It manifested itself in a variety of comments, but it came down to his feeling that she was doing her own thing and not working with him.

I don't know how directly McKellen voiced these concerns in front of Helen, but they were communicated to her in some way and she resisted [naturally] being directed by the other actor in the scene.

I think there might have been a little bit of truth to what Ian might have been feeling from Helen. I understand Helen had been warned by Judi Dench prior to accepting DOD that Ian was "all about himself" and that she "wouldn't get any help from Sean" [the director]

That warning in her mind perhaps, she interpreted the rehearsal trending against her and grew cautious of Ian and Sean Mathias.

Helen Mirren is not a confrontational person and it isn't her style to be combative with other actors or even directors. She is very smart but does not like and perhaps does not believe in confrontation.

I think people assume she is constructed of steely stuff because of the parts she plays but that isn't her character. She is a gentile person, professionally, and isn't keen at all about rehearsal fights, preferring to diffuse tension rather than contribute to it.

As an example of this aversion to fighting: when Ian and Mathias were having a go during one rehearsal, Helen literally stood between them and said "guys guys stop" until they calmed down. She doesn't like fighting.

Adding to the mix, director Sean Mathias was Ian's ex and [Mathias] had previously directed Helen in a disaster of Antony and Cleopatra in London [with DL fave, Alan Rickman] Mathias started to get the idea that Helen didn't trust him and was resisting his direction.

Again, probably some truth to that but it was resulting from Helen's sense of being on her own and having no support.

Mirren, McKellen and Mathias were all sort of operating in their personal universes of mistrust unable to connect with one another.

Add to the mix, they are all British [as am I so I can say this] and thus culturally designed to be somewhat passive-aggressive.

Complicating things further was the somewhat boxy adaptation by Richard Greenburg and a floundering David Strathairn who just couldn't get a grip on this [clearly and admittedly] difficult part.

Yes, Helen and Ian appeared together for charitable purposes when requested.

During the company Christmas lunch Helen Mirren and Ian McKellen dressed as Santa and Mrs, passed out prezzies to the cast and crew.

Helen cheerfully sat on McKellen's lap throughout the proceeding giving no hint of the animosity they felt for one another. Brits. It is the responsibility of lead actors to set the tone for the company, despite personal feelings.

In England, the culture for actors is more of a type where if you are offered a part, you might ask a friend, colleague who played the part previously "what is it like to play it?" and sort it out by comparing notes. Ian's comment to Strathairn about watching Jim Riordan rehearse to get a handle on the part was cheeky of McKellen but not so hard to understand when you chalk it up to the way actors talk to each other in England.

In Strathairn's defense Owen Teale was worse when he took a crack at it in the London incarnation of DOD [with Frances Delatour replacing Helen] It is just a very difficult part. Riordan was the best. Helen was much superior to Frances Delatour [whom I adore] because Frances was more of a comic presence than Helen and didn't have the come on/sexual presence that Helen just brings with her to every part making the scenes with the cousin interesting.

All in all, I very much liked Helen's Broadway performance of Alice because I think she most captured Strindberg's universe.

by Anonymousreply 59701/09/2011

Thank you, R597, for the measured and intelligent telling. It just feels like you know what you're talking about.

How'd you get into DL? :-)

by Anonymousreply 59801/09/2011

"I understand Helen had been warned by Judi Dench prior to accepting DOD that Ian was "all about himself" and that she "wouldn't get any help from Sean" [the director]."%0D %0D Thanks R597 - what a wealth of great info. Clearly Strathairn didn't get any help from Mathias either, which showed in his performance. Frankly, his character is the most thinly written of the three leads.%0D %0D "Adding to the mix, director Sean Mathias was Ian's ex and [Mathias] had previously directed Helen in a disaster of Antony and Cleopatra in London [with DL fave, Alan Rickman] Mathias started to get the idea that Helen didn't trust him and was resisting his direction."%0D %0D Very interesting. Since Mirren did a brilliant Cleopatra at the RSC with Michael Gambon back in the early 80's (it's one of her deservedly celebrated performances), directed by Adrian Noble, I'm sure a bad production later on would have made her very wary of Mathias...who really isn't a good director anyway.

by Anonymousreply 59901/09/2011

by Anonymousreply 60001/09/2011
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!