Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

LAURA NYRO

Brilliant and underappreciated songwriter-singer ("And When I Die," "Eli's Comin'," "Save the Country," "Time and Love," "Wedding Bell Blues" ...) who died at age 49, from cancer, in 1997.

[bold]What do you think was her best song as well as best album? And had ever seen Laura Nyro in a live concert performance?[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 3910/07/2013

Love Laura Nyro, a giant talent who died far too soon. Incredible songwriter and a beautiful voice. I've always loved "To A Child."

by Anonymousreply 105/25/2010

'nuf said. except perhaps holy shit!

Laura Nyro, "Captain Saint Lucifer"

by Anonymousreply 205/25/2010

Never thought that much of her as a singer, but as a songwriter she was and always will be one of the best.

by Anonymousreply 305/25/2010

The album "Gonna Take A Miracle" by Laura Nyro and Labelle is one of the best albums ever recorded.

by Anonymousreply 405/25/2010

Brilliant. But just too weird and experimental to ever make it as a mainstream performer. As a songwriter, it's astonishing she had the popular success she did with others covering her material. Her songs transcend time and popular trends.

BTW, Stephen Sondheim (no fan of most pop music) called "Stoned Soul Picnic" one of the best American songs ever written.

Love her.

by Anonymousreply 505/25/2010

LN is the major sound track of my life. It's operatic and always new for me. I miss her.

by Anonymousreply 605/25/2010

Sweet Laura singing live.

by Anonymousreply 705/25/2010

I was crazy about her when I was a college student in Boston in the late 60s/early 70s (I'm very old) and went to see her a couple of times in concert in one of the big venues.

Unfortunately, she was a very shy and introverted performer (she smoked cigarettes while she accompanied herself on the piano and barely talked) and both times sang mostly new material which was not The Greatest Hits we all wanted to hear.

This thread is reminding me to order her first couple of records on CD.

by Anonymousreply 805/25/2010

I like how everyone likes to claim that she was "unappreciated" and "not in the mainstream," when in fact she was pretty well-known and critically acclaimed in her lifetime and maintained a steady popular interest in the decades since her recording career.

No one is running out to cover hits of the Dave Clark Five or Bobby Goldsboro or even Melanie--or buy their music. Though her albums did respectable numbers each of them sold more at the time. But her popularity had legs.

by Anonymousreply 905/25/2010

I saw her live at Constitution Hall in the late 70s. She did all of her popular stuff, which took a lot of time. She did some lesser known stuff as well.

I would say that her interpretation of her songs outshone those of the people who had hits with them--even David Clayton Thomas. No one "got" her songs like she did.

Though I'm a dyed in the wool fanatic of one of her contemporaries, so I'm supposed to dismiss her, she was both a brilliant songwriter and performer.

by Anonymousreply 1105/26/2010

Best song extremely hard but "Sweet Loving Baby" & best album "Eli ..." I live in LA & have seen her many times but one of the best shows was @ the Santa Monic Civic back in 1972 I believe w/ LaBelle touring "Gonna Take a Miracle" another fantastic album of her favorite songs to sing not penned by her.This album was featured in the film "A Home at the End of the World" w/ Sissy Spacek & Colin Farrell. Ron Carrillo

by Anonymousreply 1208/05/2013

Well at least she's in the Rock n Roll Hall if Fame now.

by Anonymousreply 1308/05/2013

Saw the recent PBS / David Geffen bio. They kind of glossed over the fact ( probably because it was done with his cooperation) that Geffen sold off Nyro's catalogue, without her permission, so he could start his own record co. It tore her apart - imagine , her songs were all she had , and suddenly, they were not hers anymore, and could be licensed , and used, by anyone who paid - with David Greed, I mean Geffen, getting almost 100% of h profits. Special place in Hell for that guy, ripping off Nyro, an all the rest .

by Anonymousreply 1408/05/2013

"Eli " is one of my favorite albums of all time .......and I'm not a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 1508/05/2013

I saw her in Chicago when I was in high school...1972 or 1973?

It was my first concert. I didn't mind that she just sang.

by Anonymousreply 1608/06/2013

A real talent. I was just on the thread arguing about whether Madonna or Gaga or Katy Perry or Rihanna is the Queen of Pop, and I posted that none of these singers is a real singer. Laura Nyro was a real singer, a real songwriter and to the extent that a pop songwriter with commercial success can be an artist, I would say Laura Nyro was indeed an artist.

by Anonymousreply 1708/06/2013

"Beads of Sweat" is my favorite Nyro song.

by Anonymousreply 1808/06/2013

In a Woolworth's in the late 60's/early 70's I bought her first album for 99 cents. And I have worn it out playing it.

Streisand was a good early interpreter of Laura Nyro's song. Yes other people - especially the Fifth Dimension - recorded her stuff but Streisand's "Stony End" album was landmark for her and for Nyro. Bravo to Streisand for "getting it." Yes, she's a bitch in real life but she knows talent which Nyro had in spades as the saying goes.

by Anonymousreply 1908/06/2013

Gonna Take A Miracle is magical. I always wonder what Joplin would have thought had she heard it.

by Anonymousreply 2008/06/2013

NYRO MY HERO JUST DIVINE LOVED EMMIE

by Anonymousreply 2108/06/2013

Hand in your gay card NOW if you do not appreciate her music.

A great, great singer and songwriter. I always have maintained the Nyro did not have the steel underneath the beauty that Carly Simon, Carol King, and Joni Mitchell had. There was something about Nyro that was so vulnerable, and so transparent. With Mitchell, for example, there was someone who would confront her demons and fight them. Nyro? Not so sure, but what a hell of a way of representing them.

Btw, Geffen was her champion. Then he betrayed her--which was consistent for Geffen, since he treated everyone that way.

by Anonymousreply 2208/06/2013

Yes Laura's incrdible voice, her poetic lyrics that show her devotion to her city of New York and her musicianship as a piano player all incredible & an artist that hasn't always been given her due. Was inducted finally into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame but really should of been recognized much earlier. To think she wrote "And When I Die" as a teenager is proof of her song writing ability but that other artists have had fame & success with her songs is great. In the end they DO NOT come close to the emotional interpretation that her own soaring voice gives to her citified gritty & hopeful lyrics regarding the human condition in all its phases. The film "A Home At the End of the World" starring Colin Farrell & Sissy Spacek features her music in the soundtrack released I believe in 2004. A must see for hard-core Laura fans. Also the live concerts released on Youtube are testimony to her live performance as she had an intense aura when she was at her piano and let loose that multi-octave voice that could power vocalilze & then be soft and angelic. Her version accompanying herself on piano of "Gonna Take A Miracle" is just that miraculous something for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 2310/06/2013

"Free Thinker"...beautiful music for a Sunday afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 2410/06/2013

Jennifer Connelly for the bio pic. Enough said.

by Anonymousreply 2510/06/2013

Diana Ross recorded Stoney End too, maybe before Stresiand.

Is anyone going to mention Laura Nyro was an out lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 2610/06/2013

Diane's debut solo single was going to be Nyro's "Time and Love," but Gordy must have second thoughts. Instead, she released "Reach Out(And Touch Somebody's Hand)."

by Anonymousreply 2710/06/2013

actually Lady Gaga would be perfect for a biopic: she's a total ringer, and can play piano

by Anonymousreply 2810/06/2013

I always refer to her as "The Great One". Because she simply was. I couldn't pick a favorite song or album. They were all great.

I wondered what really happened between her and Geffen. Thanks for clearing that up. I figured he left something out in that documentary of his.

She lived and died in my state - Connecticut. I'm sorry I never got to see her in person but I was so very happy she got into the R&R Hall of Fame. Bette was so happy to induct her. Laura was a true artist.

These dumb bitches singing now have no clue. All they know how to do is take their clothes off and lip sync crap music.

RIP Laura. You are missed.

by Anonymousreply 2910/06/2013

It's funny you mention Gaga of all people. But when I first saw pre-Gaga - Stephanie Germanotta - she reminded me so much of Laura. She would be perfect to play her.

Maybe then Gaga would remember what real music is.

by Anonymousreply 3010/06/2013

She died?

by Anonymousreply 3110/06/2013

She died in 1997 from ovarian cancer - same as her mother. She was only 49 just like her mother.

by Anonymousreply 3210/06/2013

She was David Geffen's BFF and his original muse. It was his love of Nyro and her music that launched him on a trajectory to be a mogul.

Gaga would be a good choice to play her -- if she can act -- because there is a resemblance.

by Anonymousreply 3310/06/2013

The Flim Flam Man. It was the theme song to a movie. They was Laura performed the song, there was a sweet acceptance for his shady charter, an awareness that he he wasn't going to change and ultimately things would turn out okay for, mostly because he had a big one.

by Anonymousreply 3410/07/2013

Laura was a hell of a songwriter and didn't even have to twerk like the idiots of today.

by Anonymousreply 3510/07/2013

I do like Stoney End... maybe I should expand my horizons in terms of listening to her songs... but theyre so "off" and "nonconventional"

by Anonymousreply 3610/07/2013

I've always loved all her music.

by Anonymousreply 3710/07/2013

She's DEAD.

by Anonymousreply 3810/07/2013

Does anyone remember that the 1st pressings of her album Eli and the 13th Confession came in a perfumed sleeve? I had one. I saw her in the early 70's . The opening act was LaBelle. God what an incredible concert it was.

by Anonymousreply 3910/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.