Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"227"

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 10812/29/2012

way ahead of 226.

by Anonymousreply 105/25/2010

227 was a comedy, about Marla Gibbs and her family.

by Anonymousreply 205/25/2010

Maaaary

by Anonymousreply 305/25/2010

Was Marla resentful that Jackee stole her spotlight? What were relations between the two of them like on the set?

by Anonymousreply 405/25/2010

Mary was perhaps the most disagreeable leading character of any sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 505/25/2010

Marla Gibbs always seemed really goatish in 227.

by Anonymousreply 605/25/2010

Let's see. Jackie was hilarious, and they sometimes gave that old woman stooped over the window some good lines, but Mary was a bitch. And the rest of the cast was pretty much dead weight.

Remember when they added the white people to the cast during the last season?

by Anonymousreply 705/25/2010

I love R2. So very fucking much.

We are the only people who remember that fucking jingle.

by Anonymousreply 805/25/2010

[8], I totally remember it, too.

by Anonymousreply 905/25/2010

What was Lester's profession? Did Mary work? They had a nice apartment. The income levels on that show kind of confused me. Sandra/Jackee seemed to dress like she had a lot of money - but then how did old lady Pearl raising her grandson on her own afford to live in the same building? Unless she was the rare African-American woman who spent the '50s/'60s/'70s working in a high paying job with strong retirement benefits, wouldn't she have been on welfare?

by Anonymousreply 1005/25/2010

I certainly have no memory of that jingle. Was that how they advertised the show? Seems pretty pedestrian.

by Anonymousreply 1105/25/2010

Lester was a construction foreman.

Mary was a stay-at-home mom.

Sandra was an executive secretary.

Rose (who was played by a woman who had been on Sesame Street) was a teacher, I think.

How useless that I know such things.

Wasn't 227 in the NBC power Saturday block of The Facts of Life, 227, The Golden Girls and some other show (Empty Nest? Nurses?)

by Anonymousreply 1205/25/2010

I also remember the theme song way too well.

Marla sang it, and it was called "No Place Like Home."

At the end of it she would say, "And I mean no place, child"

My best friend in junior high and I tried to make "and I mean no place child" into a catch phrase. It did not work.

by Anonymousreply 1305/25/2010

You forgot the girlish "Ooh!" squeal that came in the later seasons Binky

by Anonymousreply 1405/25/2010

R2 is referring to the rap jingle they used to promote the show during commercial breaks. He is not talking about the theme song, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 1505/25/2010

The fact that you know that Lester Jenkins was a construction foreman is both useless and awe-inspiring, r12.

It was indeed in the Saturday night power block - my brother and I used to sit on the couch and watch it every Saturday night when our parents were out. I remember that at one point, it went, from 8-10, Facts of Life, 227, Golden Girls, and Amen. Then maybe Facts of Life going off the air coincided with Empty Nest's debut, so it became 227, Amen, Golden Girls, Empty Nest. Don't know when 227 and Amen went off the air, but for its last season (1991-92), Golden Girls was moved to 8:00. Betty White is royally pissed about this in her book, as it caused the show to plummet out of the Top 10 for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 1605/25/2010

This thread is useless without a video

by Anonymousreply 1705/25/2010

That's funny that Alaina Reed was billed before Jackee. Talk about a classic television breakout character. Jackee even won an Emmy one year, beating out heavyweights Estelle Getty, Rhea Perlman, and Julia Duffy (along with Justine Bateman, whose nominations baffle me - even as a kid, I thought her acting stunk).

by Anonymousreply 1805/25/2010

A boy in junior high trying (and failing) to turn a faux-sassy Marla Gibbs line from a sitcom theme song into a "catchphrase" definitely belongs in the Dialing the Phone with a Pencil thread.

by Anonymousreply 1905/25/2010

Sonnnnnndddrrrrraaaaa

by Anonymousreply 2005/25/2010

Mary and Sondra are stuck in a hotel somewhere (jury duty?) ...

Sondra: You got a quarter?

Mary: Why?

Sondra: We can make the bed vibrate. EEEEEEEEEE!

by Anonymousreply 2105/25/2010

I loved it when they'd "Dixie" in a song--all the lead women on that show sang.

And it was very often a low-royalty, or public domain no music clearance song.

One time they paid up to sing GIRL TALK though.

by Anonymousreply 2205/25/2010

One less than 228

by Anonymousreply 2305/25/2010

Does anyone else remember an episode where there was a "fantasy sequence" where Marla was a singer in a nightclub? I seem to remember she was dressed like Billie Holiday. It was totally gratuitous and self-indulgent, clearly Marla forced them to do it.

by Anonymousreply 2405/25/2010

Does anyone remember the episode where both Marla and Pee Wee Herman are held hostage at gunpoint in a toy store right before Xmas?

by Anonymousreply 2505/25/2010

I wanted Pearl's grandson Calvin to fuck the living shit out of me with his big black cock. I'm not kidding.

by Anonymousreply 2605/25/2010

There aint no place chile

by Anonymousreply 2705/25/2010

Is Regina King the only one who still has a career?

by Anonymousreply 2805/26/2010

For the most part, R28.

They were all reunited on the "Today" show recently and all look pretty good. (It was, unfortunately, just a couple weeks after Alaina Reed Hall's death.) Marla cleared up the long-held rumor about her relationship offscreen with Jackee, saying that it was strained at one time due to the lies other people were telling each one about the other, but then one day they confronted one another, talked it all out, and have been really good friends ever since. They also all call Regina King "our star" because she's the only one who's gone on to have a successful career since the series came to an end.

by Anonymousreply 2905/26/2010

2nd favorite show ever. I love that you thought to make this thread!

by Anonymousreply 3005/26/2010

Oh and Mary worked sometimes. Remember when she got a job working alongside Sandra and then the time she worked for Lester's construction company?

by Anonymousreply 3105/26/2010

I loved watching 227. Television was so much better back then.

by Anonymousreply 3205/26/2010

A man...

A rich man...

A younnggg man...

A poorrr man...

by Anonymousreply 3305/26/2010

Like 'Cosby', it perfectly captures the idyllic ghetto life of the 1980's, before all the poverty, crime and social breakdown that has since plagued the black community.

by Anonymousreply 3405/26/2010

IMDB seems to say Jackee left before the last season- is that right?

Seems like those must have been some really boring episodes, with only sour old Mary to provide the comedy.

by Anonymousreply 3505/26/2010

Jackee left to do her own sitcom, can't remember if it was a Sondra spinoff or her playing a character exactly like Sandra.

by Anonymousreply 3605/26/2010

The spinoff was called "Jackee!"

by Anonymousreply 3705/26/2010

Jackee won an Emmy? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 3805/26/2010

Jackee was to Marla Gibbs

as

Christine Baranski was to Cybill Shepherd

=

costars who ended up stealing the show from the lead

by Anonymousreply 3905/26/2010

That's weird that they let Jackee leave - don't sitcom actors have to sign like seven-year contracts or something? Or is that something that only came about in recent years?

by Anonymousreply 4005/26/2010

Why isn't Jackee more of a gay icon?

by Anonymousreply 4105/26/2010

The first time I saw Jackee was on "Another World" -- probably around 1984 -- she was an incidental character, best friend or co-worker of a more major black woman character -- don't remember any of the names. She was there long enough for me to notice her & recognize the actress when she turned up on "227".

by Anonymousreply 4205/26/2010

I remember that annoying jingle as well, R8. It was the promo for the show's 1985 premiere.

"Saturday nights on NBC."

by Anonymousreply 4305/26/2010

Regina King has had a career SINCE but all the other actors had decent careers before the show. "Lester" was on "Sanford and Son" as the cop and "Private Benjamin." Marla Gibbs was, of course, Florence. Reed-Hall was on "Sesame Street" and "Pearl) (too tired to look up her name) was on lots of things and was "Weeping Wanda" on "Good Times."

Jackee's spinoff only filmed a pilot but she still didn't return for the final season - nor did the viewers. Jackee made that show even though I did like Mary.

by Anonymousreply 4405/26/2010

Could you tell you were watching a S*T*A*R in the making, r42?

by Anonymousreply 4505/26/2010

I thought she was Felicia's friend, R42.

Wasn't her character's name Lily?

by Anonymousreply 4605/26/2010

Didn't Jackee also play the mother on that "Sister Sister" show with the Mowry twins? She also appeared in several episodes of "Everybody Hates Chris."

by Anonymousreply 4705/26/2010

So now I'm curious about what Jackee Harry did on "Another World" -- my memory is pretty vague.

Searching IMDB, Wikipedia, etc I find that her character was Lily Mason, an ex-hooker, and she was maid of honor at one of Felicia Gallant's weddings. So they must have been pals, which I don't remember at all.

What I recall of Lily's circle is a black woman with a teenage brother or son. IMBD says that those characters were named Thomasina and Carter Todd -- don't know how Lily fit into whatever their story was, except that all black soap opera characters are always related or acquainted.

I don't remember much about Lily, so I guess she didn't make a big impression on me -- but I wasn't really paying attention to the show at that point. Nevertheless, I did recognize the actress when she appeared later on 227 (which I also didn't really watch, it was just on in the background at a friend's house). Always nice to see soap actors make it out in the real world.

by Anonymousreply 4805/26/2010

Check out 7:03 in the link to get a glimpse of how Marla apparently conceived her character. Alaina Reed says to her, "Do you know what your problem is? You expect everybody to be just like you: perfect."

I never thought of Mary as perfect! On the contrary, she's a crabby, negative bitch.

by Anonymousreply 4905/26/2010

Should have specified that the link is to the pilot, so this is how they were introducing her.

by Anonymousreply 5005/26/2010

Idyllic ghetto life?

by Anonymousreply 5105/26/2010

It must have driven Marla bonkers that, after she was nominated five times for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy for "The Jeffersons" and never won it...then she has this new sitcom created just for her, Jackee wins the award she never could, and she herself is never nominated for a single Emmy for what's supposed to be "her" sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 5205/27/2010

Jackee was also on "Designing Women".

by Anonymousreply 5305/27/2010

Has anybody ever seen a perfomance of the play that the show was based upon?

by Anonymousreply 5405/27/2010

R48, Lily was Thomasina's aunt. Thomasina was the adopted daughter of AW's original African-American heroine, Quinn Harding (played by the awesome Petronia Paley, seen recently on "Damages"). Thomasina married Carter. I think Lily never quite got together with Carter's dad before he was accidentally poisoned due to Carl Hutchins' scheming.

I don't remember this at all, but apparently Lily moved in with Wallingford at one point! Wallingford was the greatest.

by Anonymousreply 5505/27/2010

Marla Gibbs was just happy not to be playing someone's maid.

by Anonymousreply 5605/27/2010

I loved this show.

My old co-worker/friend and I gave everyone in the office the names of the characters from the series so we could speak in code about them.

Of course, I was, "Ms. Pearl" and she was "Calvin."

OFFICER HE WENT THAT WAY!

by Anonymousreply 5705/27/2010

You're right, R55! It was "Quinn Harding" I was thinking of, a career woman -- that website shows pictures of the actors, which help a lot. I recognize the guy "Quinn" dated, "Zack Edwards", who was on the show quite awhile -- but I'm not good with names. Those were the days -- thanks for the memories.

by Anonymousreply 5805/28/2010

I am so happy that a thread on 227 garnered this much attention.

The only reason I remember Lester was a building contractor was that my grandfather was too, and I would watch the show with him.

Lester would occasionally come home in a hard had and holding rolled up white papars that I guess were props representing "plans."

My grandfather would always say, "What kind of asshole wears his hard hat on his way home?"

Made me laugh every time.

by Anonymousreply 5905/28/2010

"Idyllic ghetto life?"

I never got the impression that they lived in a ghetto. It just seemed to be a working class neighborhood. Everyone on the show had decent jobs and nice apartments.

by Anonymousreply 6005/28/2010

Exactly R60 - that was the point, that they weren't the poor black folks we'd been seeing on TV, nor were they rich like THE JEFFERSONS, which Marla had just come off ten seasons' worth of doing.

I saw Marla in THE VAGINA MONOLOGUES here in NYC. She was great, solid and down to earth. And you know she released a new CD a few years back. She's a good singer/jazz stylist.

by Anonymousreply 6105/30/2010

"You'd better not get too used to being around black people because we're going to Washington, DC!"

by Anonymousreply 6205/30/2010

Jackée was supposed to become a regular cast member on [italic]Designing Women,[/italic] but they inexplicably replaced her with Sheryl Lee Ralph in that awful final season.

by Anonymousreply 6305/30/2010

Is that the Sheryl Lee Ralph who did the awful final season of IT'S A LIVING?

by Anonymousreply 6405/30/2010

I wish 227 was on in reruns.

by Anonymousreply 6505/31/2010

Show became unwatchable when they added Barry Sobel as the teenage white rapper and Countess Vaughan as "Countess," an overly intelligent brat.

by Anonymousreply 6605/31/2010

I agree r66. I think Pearl was my favorite. I loved how she sat outside the window.

by Anonymousreply 6705/31/2010

And I mean no place, chile bump

by Anonymousreply 6806/02/2010

I loved 227, and Jackee really was superb, truly hilarious.

Jackee had a small role on "Everybody Hates Chris" as Rochelle's friend and hairdresser. She was great in that too.

There's a fantastically funny skit from "In Living Color" called "Passenger 227," where a plane is being hijacked and one of the stewardesses is Sondra.

by Anonymousreply 6906/02/2010

Only the first season of 227 has ever been released on DVD, much to the annoyance of my BF, who is a big fan.

by Anonymousreply 7006/02/2010

i thought it was always so stupid that pearl s window never had a screen in it. they lived in wahington d.c. STUPID!

by Anonymousreply 7111/21/2012

Funny that Jackee' was on Designing Women because she sort of played the Delta Burke role in 227.

by Anonymousreply 7211/21/2012

How to speak "Jackee".

by Anonymousreply 7311/22/2012

R65,

It is on Centric - a random cable channel.

by Anonymousreply 7411/22/2012

except for Jackee, it was garbage...

by Anonymousreply 7511/22/2012

Lester's construction job was just a cover for his secret life.

by Anonymousreply 7611/22/2012

Passenger 227.

by Anonymousreply 7711/22/2012

Where did this show take place?

by Anonymousreply 7811/22/2012

@ R41 - Jackee's first husband certainly considers her more of a gay icon...

by Anonymousreply 7911/22/2012

[R78] The show was based in Washington, D.C.

by Anonymousreply 8011/22/2012

YES, BUT WHICH NEIGHBORHOOD?

by Anonymousreply 8111/22/2012

Jakee winning the Emmy. Her win and speech wasn't the impressive thing. What was impressive was the amount of cuntiness Julia Duffy could squeeze into a three second nominee in the audience shot.

by Anonymousreply 8211/22/2012

My friend got me the first DVD set. One of my favorite tv shows, always. "Amen", "227", "Golden Girls", and "Murder She Wrote", in no particular order.

by Anonymousreply 8311/22/2012

Jackee in her prime was vivaciousness personified. Basically a female drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 8411/22/2012

I remember seeing "Boyz 'N The Hood" and being gobsmacked that innocent little Brenda was cussing like a sailor.

by Anonymousreply 8511/22/2012

Jackee is my auntie/fag hag in my head. Like she'd be a lot of fun to knock back a few drinks and go hang out with.

by Anonymousreply 8611/22/2012

Did anyone see Jackee on the twins Tia and Tamera's reality show the other night? She looked like she'd knocked back QUITE a few drinks before the cameras rolled.

by Anonymousreply 8711/22/2012

I hated Jackee. What a lousy actress. And Marla was/is such a poor actress. She was overrated when she was on 'The Jeffersons'.

Isabel, OTOH, was DIVINE as Weezie!!

by Anonymousreply 8811/22/2012

{quote]Was Marla resentful that Jackee stole her spotlight?

I remember reading there were issues, but how mad can Miss Gibbs get when she was still getting the higher paycheck, and when she had done the same thing in "The Jeffersons."

It's not like the case in, say "Designing Women" "That 70's Show", or "Family Ties", where ythere clearly were breakout stars who - if you wanted them to renew after 5 years, you needed to come up with serious cash (the the resentment of the rest of the castmates).

by Anonymousreply 8911/22/2012

I remember back then thinking this was one of those few shows where the audience was treated to a cast of ladies ALL of whom could sing up a storm. There were some greta musical numbers br=ecause of it.

by Anonymousreply 9011/22/2012

Mary was Dorothy

Sondra was Blanche

Rose was Rose

Pearl was Sophia

by Anonymousreply 9111/22/2012

>>>>TO the resentment of the other castmates. (plus a million other Thanksgiving booze-induced typos).

by Anonymousreply 9211/22/2012

Alaina Reed's life was so tragic, though.

by Anonymousreply 9311/22/2012

I like the fact after Jackee left they replaced her with a blonde clone. Then they had to bring in a token white guy who wasn't funny but was Jewish.

Not to forget Rose lost her kid in the second season. And that Mary's daughter's real life sister was on What's Happenin' Now.

It was a dumb show that was a time slot hit.

by Anonymousreply 9411/23/2012

Shitty writing, overacting is the reason that terrible show is no where to be found...and I mean no where, chile

by Anonymousreply 9511/23/2012

And who would have known I had some great acting chops in me.

by Anonymousreply 9611/23/2012

[quote]I like the fact after Jackee left they replaced her with a blonde clone.

Toukie Smith, former partner of Robert DeNiro and mother of his kids.

by Anonymousreply 9711/23/2012

[quote] the amount of cuntiness Julia Duffy could squeeze into a three second nominee in the audience shot

To be fair, she was nominated seven times and never won. Then when she went to Designing Women, the season she was on it was the highest rated of the series and they canned her.

by Anonymousreply 9811/24/2012

Karen Valentine was at her best on this programme.

by Anonymousreply 9911/24/2012

I liked the white guy with the Jewfro, I think his name was Bernie

by Anonymousreply 10011/24/2012

I remember when Stoney Jackson was added to the cast along with Toukie Smith and Barry Sobel in the last season.. He had a hideous Jherri Curl but a rippling body. I wanted to bend that muscle-daddy over and wear his ass out. He still looks pretty handsome in that older cat-daddy sort of way nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 10111/24/2012

Maaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrryyyyyyyyy!

by Anonymousreply 10212/28/2012

One Xmas long ago, because I was always misplacing my keys, my Mom gave me a key chain that would squawk when you whistled.

A few weeks later, holiday programming ended and 227 returned after the winter hiatus. The moment Jackee came on screen and started screeching, that key chain started squawking.

by Anonymousreply 10312/28/2012

I like the way Jackie Harry pronounced Mary "May-ree"

by Anonymousreply 10412/28/2012

Marla Gibbs damned a whole generation of professional black women to thinking they had to look mean to get things done.

by Anonymousreply 10512/29/2012

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 10612/29/2012

I have the box set of the first season.

by Anonymousreply 10712/29/2012

I that the Boeing 227?

by Anonymousreply 10812/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.