Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

May 22 Birthdays

1907 - SIR LAURENCE OLIVIER

1930 - HARVEY MILK

1939 - PAUL WINFIELD

1970 - MARK BINGHAM

1952 - SASHA ALYSON

by Anonymousreply 605/22/2010

Although married three times, there are numerous stories about Laurence Olivier's relationships with men.

According to David Niven, during the filming of "Streetcar Named Desire", he discovered Olivier with Marlon Brando in the garden of his second wife Vivien Leigh's mansion. They were swimming in the pool. Olivier was kissing Brando. "I turned my back to them and went back inside to join Vivien. I'm sure she knew what was going on, but she made no mention of it. Nor did I. One must be sophisticated about such matters in life."

Another story we get from Olivier's third wife, Joan Plowright, who documented his ten year relationship with Danny Kaye. While many of his biographers have attempted to refute the claim, Plowright confirmed it, stating, "I have always resented the comments that it was I who was the homewrecker of Larry's marriage to Vivien Leigh. Danny Kaye was attached to Larry far earlier than I."

by Anonymousreply 105/22/2010

Harvey Milk (1930 – 1978) was an American politician and gay rights activist; the first openly gay city supervisor of San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 205/22/2010

Paul Winfield (1939 – 2004) was an Emmy Award-winning and Academy Award-nominated actor best known for his portrayal of a Louisiana sharecropper who struggles to support his family during the Great Depression in the landmark film "Sounder. " On TV, he starred as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in the television miniseries "King." Winfield died of a heart attack in 2004 at age 64. His partner of 30 years, architect Charles Gillan Jr., preceded him in death in 2002.

by Anonymousreply 305/22/2010

Mark Bingham died at age 31 in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack on board United Airlines Flight 93.

He is believed to have been among the passengers who attempted to storm the cockpit to try to prevent the hijackers from using the plane as a weapon. He made a brief airphone call to his mother shortly before the plane went down.

Bingham was survived by his former boyfriend of six years, Paul Holm, who says this was not the first time Bingham risked his life to protect the lives of others. He had twice successfully protected Holm from attempted muggings, one of which was at gunpoint.

by Anonymousreply 405/22/2010

Sasha Alyson is an American businessman who started Alyson Publications in 1979. By 1992, it had become the largest independent publisher of gay and lesbian books, with sales of nearly a million dollars a year. He stepped down from that to focus on AIDS awareness. Next he began Alyson Adventures, a company that plans adventure holidays for gay people.

by Anonymousreply 505/22/2010

1879-Alla Nazimova

by Anonymousreply 605/22/2010
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!