Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Have you ever been put on a Performance Improvement Plan at work?

I am in sales and missed my quota last month. Now, I'm on a PiP. I feel so pressured and horrible.

by Anonymousreply 3611/28/2012

I've never been put on one, but it seems like it must be really stressful and disappointing. I just wanted to say that I hope you're okay because I know work stress/loss is some of the hardest things to deal with. I also don't think that a sales quota should be so strict in this economy, but I couldn't sell bread to a starving man, so I do understand that there's more to it. Just do your best and meanwhile look for other things. Maybe you will meet the next quota and not need to worry about it for a while?

by Anonymousreply 905/20/2010

I've watched several of my co-workers be put on PiP, its horrible and it is an effort to even be civil to the Sales Director who is doing this. One friend of mine sold 127% of quota in February - 7th in company, didn't make her quota in March, got put on plan in April. She is a single mother of two small children. What kind of motivation is this?

What I see is that corporate is paying no attention to the fact that the ripple of the economic recession is still on top of us. Instead of lowering the quotas and recognizing that people are pulling back on what they are buying right now, they are putting pressure on sales executives to "sell through it" and showing them the door when they simply cannot.

NOTHING could make me go into commission sales right now. My heart breaks for my co-workers (I'm support staff, NOT management).

by Anonymousreply 1105/21/2010

by Anonymousreply 1205/21/2010

Yes, I was put on one too, and, like you, it felt horrible.

I agreed to it too, but the night before I was supposed to start turning in the necessary paperwork, I couldn't sleep thinking about it, and I called in sick for Monday, then walked in Tuesday and gave my notice effective Friday. Fuck 'em.

You're not going to win this game, but you can choose not to play. That was five months ago, and I've had some hard times since then, but I've never once regretted doing it. Life is too short to put yourself through the psychological warfare they are inflicting on you.

Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 1305/21/2010

In the high tech manufacturing world you are reasigned to "Special Projects" until you finally get disgusted of the bullshit busy work and quit. Happened to me once when I was a Sr. Supervisor at Motorola SPS. Best thing I ever did was leave that fucked up company. Mid management level jobs are pressure cookers that make or break you depending on whose ass you kiss.

by Anonymousreply 1405/21/2010

UH, r2? Unemployment is only denied if you display willful misconduct on the job. Unless OP is also selling crack at work, he can get unemployment.

OP, my advice is to keep your head down, meet your quota and work like hell behind the scenes to use this as motivation to find a new job. Commission sales is a special kind of hell and if you're not cut out for it, you will surely get an ulcer.

by Anonymousreply 1505/21/2010

I work in a support position in a sales company where the bottom 25 % are regularly placed on a PIP. If you get off of it, you live to see another day and someone else who's in the bottom fourth is there. You have to be there consecutively for a certain number of months before you can be fired. One bad month might put you there once, but you're not 'done' until it seems pretty obvious consistently that you can't sell.

Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1605/21/2010

Sales are down and they're blaming YOU? They must be watching Fox News, where the Great Recession is over.

by Anonymousreply 1705/21/2010

Yes and I needed to be and it worked out very well.

by Anonymousreply 1805/21/2010

this is just a way HR has documentation to get rid of you without getting sued. they are suppose to be "helping" you improve but what is really happening is they are documenting your poor performance after you've been warned about it. it's never a game you will win so once on PIP and on your final warning, best to start looking for a new gig cuz they are getting rid of you!

Afroman said it the best in his quote here:

"F*ck the corporate world, biatch!!!"

by Anonymousreply 1911/28/2012

The poster "It's not us, it's you..." is in management or HR! =P

by Anonymousreply 2011/28/2012

Either they use this to send a message for you to quit and they are giving you time to get another job, or they really do use this to improve someone who needs more training but otherwise is a good employee - it really doesn't matter. My advice is to try the process - in the mean time look for a new job. If you quit, you won't be able to collect, if you get fired you probably will as long as you weren't doing anything really bad - I say stick it out unless you have enough savings to carry you through a few months it might take to find something else. good luck.

by Anonymousreply 2111/28/2012

R10 doesn't explain why managment is so selective in using PIPs.

The one time I got one I just quit and found other jobs pretty quickly. The PIP itself is a sign of second-class treatment since they'll let anything slide with their chosen ones.

It's better to keep your own paper trial throughout your employment, to counteract what they might say if they fire you. If they call you on the carpet, who else they call or do not call for similar behavior becomes very relevant. If you're in a protected class (age, race, etc.) or if you are white/male and believe they are singled out, you can make life miserable for them, especially if they're a small firm that has to pay legal bills out of pocket and profit.

by Anonymousreply 2211/28/2012

[quote]Unemployment is only denied if you display willful misconduct on the job. Unless OP is also selling crack at work, he can get unemployment.

Total bullshit. An old boss of mine MANUFACTURED fake evidence, with his own boss's approval (and probably direction), so that they could get out of paying me unemployment; they claimed I was habitually tardy and missed meetings with two major clients, which never happened.

OP, honestly, you don't sound cut out for sales. Sorry. I have friends who've been in similar positions into ones in business development or client management where a lot of face time/contact was required but no quotas whatsoever; it's worked for most of them, so you might want to consider it.

by Anonymousreply 2311/28/2012

I feel for you OP.

I feel for you OP. Performance plans are like my pet hate: Key Performance Indictors (KPIs) and performance reviews. Total utter bullshit that didn't exist before 1970.

1) They make employees miserable and feel like bots 2) They lead to poor management because instead of (as in the past) managers delivering ongoing verbal support they can just fill in quarterly sheets 3) The forms are incredibly tedious to fill out and managers game them: if they don't like someone they can be written any which way to justify anything 4) Most importantly, despite all the justifications made for their existence, the bottom line is that that KPIs haven't made an ounce of difference to company output. Not one. Correction: a single one -- changing HR from average remunerated "Personnel Officers" to stratospherically remunerated "Human Capital Directors". It's the biggest corporate scam of all time.

by Anonymousreply 2411/28/2012

[quote]Key Performance Indictors (KPIs) and performance reviews. Total utter bullshit that didn't exist before 1970.

Wanna bet?

by Anonymousreply 2511/28/2012

This is the norm in a sale role. It sucks but in my experience it happens when you miss quota for several months in a row. If they're doing this to you after a month, then find another job, seriously that is bullshit. This is also a fantastic way for a company to promote desperation and then fraud. In the wireless industry it is rampant and PIP just reinforces it.

by Anonymousreply 2611/28/2012

One better, here OP:

I was placed on "work probation". I had 90 days to improve my performance (advertising, creative). Virtually everything in the document was manufactured: contortions, exaggerations, events that never happened.

I rebutted the "charges" with facts and documentation of my own and got an admission that there "might be extenuating circumstances". Went through the trial anyway and received high reviews for my performance during the period.

Fired anyway on the 90th day. The kicker? I called the HR cunt to ask what happened and she told me that because a HEADLINE I wrote on day 88 had to be rewritten, that was enough since "that clearly indicated a history of multiple corrections needed for my copy".

Lunched with some friends later and they confirmed that "we just didn't have the work coming in to justify your salary." And that a probation was the company;s way of establishing a paper trail to keep me from suing them.

So, yeh OP, start looking. Even if you do make it this time, you can forget any raise for this year - or bonus, or Christmas gift, or vacation.

FYI: when this originally happened I wrote in to DL asking their opinions. Got the same ones you're getting now.

by Anonymousreply 2711/28/2012

Yeah, they wanna get rid of you.

If they didn't, they'd keep it a verbal.

Better start taking an aggressive approach to having a baby.

by Anonymousreply 2811/28/2012

I was. It was humiliating, but it was in a job that I needed help with, and being put on the plan worked extremely well. So much that I was commended highly for my improvements and my stock rose highly in the company.

by Anonymousreply 2911/28/2012

hugs op

by Anonymousreply 3011/28/2012

You need Patti Smith

[quote]You're screwin up the quota, You're doin your piece work too fast, Now you get off your mustang Sally You ain't goin nowhere, you ain't goin nowhere. I lay back. I get my nerve up. I take a swig of Romilar And walk up to hot shit Dot Hook and I say Hey, hey sister it don't matter whether I do labor fast or slow, There's always more labor after.

by Anonymousreply 3111/28/2012

Tell them you aren't a PIP. Gladys Knight, maybe, but you're not a PIP.

by Anonymousreply 3211/28/2012

R29= Shoshanna in HR.

by Anonymousreply 3311/28/2012

I was just terminated because I didn't "improve". I'm an Executive Assistant (male). We had a reorg and a new boss came in. He immediately put me on a PIP and after 90 days terminated me. I think he wants a female, eye candy Assistant. I'd sue his ass for discrimination but there's not enough there to prove it.

by Anonymousreply 3411/28/2012

This is kind of routine in media sales and every January I was put on PIP cause sales are amazingly low in January..and by Valentines I was all caught up and in good you work for a cell phone company?

And "Willful misconduct" is one tenant of unemployment denial but not the only one, attendance, poor job performance all those can be used. In Right to Work states "We didn't like him" is an acceptable reason for dismissal.

by Anonymousreply 3511/28/2012

And "Willful misconduct" is one tenant Oh Dear

by Anonymousreply 3611/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!