Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What was the best concert you ever attended?

I saw Led Zeppelin on their last tour and it was unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 28511/07/2013

Tina Turner at Radio City in 1997. Simply the Best was never truer.

by Anonymousreply 105/17/2010

R1 - funny you should say that, I was just watching Tina Turner doing the Acid Queen on youtube. She was incredible!

by Anonymousreply 205/18/2010

Tie:

Tina Tuner and STREISAND

by Anonymousreply 305/18/2010

Sorry, but I cheat with a tie:

U2 - Zoo TV (fell in love that night) and Bette Midler - Experience the Divine (fell in love with my 10 year old self who sang along with his ‘Divine Madness’ LP once too often)

by Anonymousreply 405/18/2010

Liza Minnelli in the '80s for legendary show business knock-out entertainment.

Barbra Streisand in the '90s for sheer perfection and the chance to see the greatest of them all in concert.

Cher in the 2000s for excitement, entertainment and extravaganza. What a show!

by Anonymousreply 505/18/2010

Marshall Crenshaw at The Bottom Line, around 1981.

by Anonymousreply 605/18/2010

Red Hot Chili Peppers opening for the Ramones at the Ritz, late 80's.

by Anonymousreply 705/18/2010

Not sure if it was the best, but it was pretty damn great and it sure was memorable. I saw Better Midler at the Music Hall in Boston in 1973...after her stint at the baths in NYC but well before she went totally mainstream. She had just started appearing on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.

I was young, but it was so great, outrageous and the most fun I had ever had having not attened many concerts at the time. Bette was incredible on stage. She also introduced her piano player, Barry Manilow, to the audience. No one knew him then. He may be smaltzy now, but he was quite the talent then. And Bette...well, Bette was Divine beyond description.

by Anonymousreply 805/18/2010

Madonna's Blond Ambition show, late Spring 1990.

Had never seen anything like it before or since.

by Anonymousreply 905/18/2010

1. Yefim Bronfman playing the Rachmaninov piano concerto No. 3 with the L.A. Philharmonic. Astonishing. To sample his genius, check out the Fantasia 2000 segment, The Steadfast Tin Soldier with Bronfman playing the 1st mmt. of Shostakovich's Piano Concerto #2.

Also excellent:

2. The Blues Brothers, with Aykroid and Belushi at the Universal Amphitheater.

3. Elton John at the Greek Theatre.

4. The Pointer Sisters at the Mirage Las Vegas when Sigfried and Roy were on a break.

5. Alice Cooper at the Hollywood Bowl.

by Anonymousreply 1005/18/2010

A toss-up: Solti and the Vienna Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall, and Sir Simon Rattle conducting Mahler with the Philadelphia Symphony Orchresta.

by Anonymousreply 1105/18/2010

I saw Queen back in 1975, leading off with "Bohemian Rhapsody." It was fantastic.

I've also seen Bob Dylan, the Grateful Dead, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Yes, the Carpenters and many others, but among the lesser bands, Badfinger at the UW Stock Pavilion in Madison, WI, sitting on the sawdust and drinking beer with my first love, will always hold a special place in my heart.

by Anonymousreply 1205/18/2010

David Bowie, Glass Spider tour, mid 80's. I wanted to quit my job and follow him around. Sadly, I did not.

by Anonymousreply 1305/18/2010

Pink Floyd - 1994 (I was 16) - at the Superdome in New Orleans - a truly amazing experience.

I've been to other really good concerts, but Pink Floyd put on the best show I've ever seen, by far.

Pink at the Gypsy Tea Room in Dallas (small venue) in 2007 was really good, and so was Alanis Morissette at Liberty Lunch (tiny venue) in Austin in 1995.

by Anonymousreply 1405/18/2010

Saw a very, very early No Doubt concert - part of a group show outside Minneapolis. Couldn't take your eyes off Gwen, right out of the gate. At one point she climbed up on the support beams on the edge of the stage, it was crazy, I was sure she'd fall two stories or be electrocuted.

In terms of MUSIC, an unknown quartet at Sommerfest in downtown Minneapolis that played for about an hour or so and had half the audience in tears.

by Anonymousreply 1505/18/2010

I think I was at a Pink Floyd show on that same tour, R14, although not at the Superdome.

I wasn't 16, but I was stoned enough to think the banks of flashing lights on either side of the stage were sending me coded messages.

by Anonymousreply 1605/18/2010

Barbra Streisand: Live 2006.

by Anonymousreply 1705/18/2010

Queen : Glasgow Apollo 1977

Streisand : Wembley Arena 1994

Aerosmith : Glasgow SECC 1997

Cher : Vegas 2009

Bette Midler : Vegas 2009

by Anonymousreply 1805/18/2010

Radiohead at Coachella, shirt off, holding my boyfriend in the warm desert night, high off my face, with a random hot college dude with his girl secretly holding my hand as Thom York wailed his guts out. Perfection.

by Anonymousreply 1905/18/2010

Ricky Martin

Enrique Iglesias

Marc Anthony

U2

Jack Jones

Tony Bennett

Johnny Mathis

Elton John

Toby Keith

Rascal Flatts

New York Philharmonic orchestra

by Anonymousreply 2005/18/2010

Ricky Martin

Enrique Iglesias

Marc Anthony

Jack Jones

Tony Bennett

Johnny Mathis

U2

Elton John

Toby Keith

Rascal Flatts

New York Philharmonic orchestra

by Anonymousreply 2105/18/2010

5. Interpol at the Wiltern in 04. Okay band on record, amazing band live.

4. Bright Eyes at the Orpheum in 05. He basically played all of Wide Awake. Awesome.

3. Radiohead at the Bowl in 08. Perfect venue, best band of my generation.

2. Elliott Smith at the Echo in 03. Wasn't all that great of a show, but it was one of his last ones.

1. I was 13 in 1990 and my older brother was way into the indie LA music scene. He took me to a house party in Long Beach one afternoon and this unknown band was playing in the backyard. It was the single most riveting musical forty minutes of my life. The band was Nirvana. They were so good, it was unreal.

by Anonymousreply 2205/18/2010

Queen in 1975

The Clash in 1978

Iron Maiden in 1979

Manic Street Preachers many times since 1986

by Anonymousreply 2305/18/2010

Most fun: Supergrass at the Casbah in San Diego, 1996.

by Anonymousreply 2405/18/2010

Prince-Purple Rain Concert! He was amazing as was Sheila E!

by Anonymousreply 2505/18/2010

The Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over" tour in 1995. I hadn't seen them live since "The Long Run" tour in the late 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 2605/18/2010

Prince in DC in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 2705/18/2010

The great Cyndi Lauper.

by Anonymousreply 2805/18/2010

Josie and the Pussycats, 1972 Soldier Field.

Great stage presence.

by Anonymousreply 2905/18/2010

OINGO BOINGO at The Ritz (NYC) 1984 or 85...

by Anonymousreply 3005/18/2010

>>5. Interpol at the Wiltern in 04. Okay band on record, amazing band live

I totally agree, r22.

As for myself? I'd have to say The Cure - but, which particular concert? I'd be hard-pressed to choose, so I'll say whichever ones they did, 'Forever' at.

Pink Floyd in the early 90s. The Ramones at a teeny-tiny club in Lancaster, PA.

by Anonymousreply 3105/18/2010

Oh, and Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe back in the 90s, sometime, also.

And r30? I'm so, so jealous.

by Anonymousreply 3205/18/2010

There was a pretty memorable "Day on The Green" concert in 1979, but the speakers wonked before the headliner Boston, could play. Still, I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 3305/18/2010

R16 - I didn't smoke anything myself at that concert, but I felt like I was as high as one of those pigs on stage because of everything being smoked around me. I believe it was The Division Bell tour (or maybe Pulse?)

by Anonymousreply 3405/18/2010

Patti Smith in Boston right when the second album came out. Sparks opened for her. Also Everything But the Girl in 1996 at the Warfield in SF...awesome..There was also a place called Kimballs East across the Bay Bridge from SF where I saw a ton of great shows: Deniece Williams, Chaka Khan, Patti Austin and Phyllis Hyman. Also Luther at Oakland Coliseum. Sigh

by Anonymousreply 3505/18/2010

[quote]There was also a place called Kimballs East across the Bay Bridge from SF where I saw a ton of great shows.

Berkeley or Oakland? I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 3605/18/2010

Emeryville.

by Anonymousreply 3705/18/2010

[quote]Madonna's Blond Ambition show, late Spring 1990

Gotta admit, that's mine too and I've seen Cher, Midler, Streisand, Lauper, & Ross among many.

by Anonymousreply 3805/18/2010

The Manhattan Transfer, their "Brasil" tour, San Francisco, 1990.

by Anonymousreply 3905/18/2010

Hard to say which one's the best so gonna list five that come to mind.

Springsteen circa 1985 LA Coliseum. "Born in the USA" tour. No one can touch this guy for sheer energy and talent.

Springsteen in 1980 in LA. Touring for The River. Sublime.

Eagles, Linda Ronstadt and Jackson Browne in 1976 in Sacramento. They rocked.

Cher's show at Caesar's Palace just this month. Awesome and she's still got the voice that rocks. Left us wanting more.

Pat Benatar at UC Davis CA. Unannounced in 1983 and put on a terrific show.

I have absolutely no interest in the likes of Madonna or Streisand or Diana Ross. Maybe because I don't like them as people.

by Anonymousreply 4005/18/2010

It's a toss up between Jenny Lind and Enrico Caruso.

by Anonymousreply 4105/18/2010

Prince in 1998. He was just getting into the Jehovas Witness thing, and would come out and play the first few bars of something like "Darling Nikki", but the he would stop, and the crowd would go fucking nuts. He wouldn't play any of his old stuff that had swear words in it. It was a strange time in his career, that's for sure, but it was still a stellar concert.

by Anonymousreply 4205/18/2010

Best music, Police Synchronicity tour, I think it was 84?

Most fun, uh, Cher's first final tour show in ATL, sitting on the bar/club side of the arena, with about 80% homos who were all drunk and happy.

by Anonymousreply 4305/18/2010

Bruce Springsteen - four times

Garth Brooks - four times

by Anonymousreply 4405/18/2010

Olivia Newton-John, Physical Tour 1982 at the Universal Amphitheatre. This was my first and most memorable concert. I was completely in love with ONJ when I was a young gayling.

by Anonymousreply 4505/18/2010

Don't laugh

Liza Minnelli - 1972 Muny in St. Louis.

Liza Minnelli - 1973 Municipal Auditorium Kansas City.

Bette Midler Music Hall accompanied by Barry Manilow - 1973 or 74?

Linda Ronstadt 1981 Kemper Kansas City.

Bruce Springsteen mid 80's Kemper Arena KCMO.

by Anonymousreply 4605/18/2010

Anoter vote for that tour with The Police. It was awesome. Olivia Newton John was great too. Both in Kansas City at Kemper Arena.

by Anonymousreply 4705/18/2010

I think the Go-Go's opened for the Police in ATL. Doubly sweet.

by Anonymousreply 4805/18/2010

B-52's, Arlington Theater, Santa Barbara 1983.

by Anonymousreply 4905/18/2010

Bjork in 2007 I think at Coachella. I was right up front, when she did Declare Independence it was amazing.

Portishead in 2008 in London at Brixton Academy

by Anonymousreply 5005/18/2010

Lena Horne: The Lady And Her Music at Wolftrap

National Symphony "An Evening with Rodgers & Hammerstein" at the Merriweather Post Pavilion

"Adventsingen" at the Great Festival Hall, Salzburg.

by Anonymousreply 5105/18/2010

Most recently, The Carole King/James Taylor Reunion Show at The Troubador. 2007.

Diana Ross - Pantages Theater. November 2004.

Radiohead - The Hollywood Bowl. August, 2008.

Roger Waters - The Hollywood Bowl. October, 2006.

by Anonymousreply 5205/18/2010

[quote]David Bowie, Glass Spider tour, mid 80's. I wanted to quit my job and follow him around. Sadly, I did not.

YES! Same here, and I've seen a LOT of concerts. Of course, I was on E that night and it made everything seem so much *more*...

I do know someone who travels the world following him. She's a trust fund kid with a slight medical disability so she doesn't work and can afford it.

by Anonymousreply 5305/18/2010

I saw Patty Smith in an intimate setting (a club in Ann Arbor) just before her "retirement." I adore her, and she was fabulous. Nothing spectacular, just great punk rock.

by Anonymousreply 5405/18/2010

Faith tour (George Michael) - 1988

by Anonymousreply 5505/18/2010

My Morning Jacket at the Fillmore, San Fran. They decorated the whole stage like a forest, and filmed the concert for their concert DVD.

U2 Zoo TV. Saw it twice that summer (Giants AND Yankee Stadiums).

Pretenders and B-52's at Radio City Music Hall, in 1998.

Dionne Warwick with the Buffalo Philarmonic Orchestra, 1999.

Ween and the Flaming Lips, 2006...at Greek Theatre in Berkeley.

Can't decide which one was the best. Probably Zoo TV.

by Anonymousreply 5605/18/2010

Isaac Hayes at the Hara Arena in 1976.

Earth, Wind & Fire at the UD Arena the same year. The Emotions were the opening act.

The Jacksons at the UD Arena in 1977. They were touring with the "Goin' Places" album.

Two years later, I saw Ray Parker Jr. & Raydio, Anita Ward, and Con Funk Shun.

Years later in 1987, I saw the Pretenders at the Hara Arena.

Hara Arena is in Dayton, Ohio.

UD Arena ( University of Dayton Arena )

by Anonymousreply 5705/18/2010

[quote]1. I was 13 in 1990 and my older brother was way into the indie LA music scene. He took me to a house party in Long Beach one afternoon and this unknown band was playing in the backyard. It was the single most riveting musical forty minutes of my life. The band was Nirvana. They were so good, it was unreal.

R22, thanks. It's awesome to hear about the pre fame Nirvana. Any more you can say about it?

by Anonymousreply 5805/18/2010

also: Eurythmics opened for The B-52's at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium in 1983. The Whammy tour.

A year later M M (f/k/a Martha and the Muffins) opened for Howard Jones who opened for Eurythmics at the same venue.

by Anonymousreply 5905/18/2010

Summer term, 1976, at PSU. Took a road trip (it was my car) to Pittsburgh to Three River Stadium to see Boz Scaggs, Fleetwood Mac, and the star act, the Eagles. I was stoned, but I do remember being mesmerized by Stevie Nicks.

by Anonymousreply 6005/18/2010

A million years ago, I (yes, I admit it) went to a concert for the LOVIN' SPOONFUL. They were dreadful but the opening act was a duo that the audience went crazy for...Simon & Garfunkel. A year later, they came back with not opening act to a packed area.

by Anonymousreply 6105/18/2010

Woodstock...the real one.

by Anonymousreply 6205/18/2010

Wayland Flowers and Madame, 1977.

by Anonymousreply 6305/18/2010

Liza in 1979 or so, just after she had wrapped up in "The Act" on Broadway. She was TOTALLY LIZA! She did an [italic]a capella[/italic] "Shine on Harvest Moon" as the encore and there wasn't a dry eye in the house. It's hard to explain but it was remarkable.

Grace Jones doing a track date at Palladium in NYC in '98, or '90 which was supposed to be a few numbers, and turned into a 2 hour major concert. She even showed up on time. She was electric.

by Anonymousreply 6405/18/2010

For me, Bette Midler's "No Frills" tour back in the 1983. She had everyone laughing hysterically one moment in crying the next. It's been almost 30 years and I still remember it well. And I still tell the dirty Sophie Tucker jokes. A close second would be Tina Turner's "Private Dancer" tour in '85. She is a great performer.

by Anonymousreply 6505/18/2010

Lovin Spoonful was bad? That's too bad, I love their song Summer in the City.

by Anonymousreply 6605/19/2010

Minor Threat, Big Boys & Troublefunk, DC Lansburgh Center 1983

Minutemen, 930 club DC 1984

George Clinton, Chicago ( Cabaret Metro, I think?) 1988 or 89

Nick Cave Chicago Cabaret Metro 1989, and 930 club DC 2002

The National and Arcade Fire, DC Constitution Hall 2007

So hard to choose. Thanks, OP, for reminding me how important live music has been to me over the years.

by Anonymousreply 6705/19/2010

Another vote for Springsteen here: 3 times. Twice for Born in the USA Tour (I was at the LA Coliseum too, r40) and once on the Tunnel of Love tour.

by Anonymousreply 6805/19/2010

R22 here. The show was mesmerizing. They basically played a lot of Bleach and more than a few songs off Nevermind (Drain You, Breed, not Teenspirit). Kurt was so raw and full of energy. I can't explain it. He sucked the whole life out of the room, but in the best possible way. You just had to watch him. And this was without MTV or the radio telling you to worship him. Off stage, he was quiet and reserved. In fact, I don't really remember him in that respect. He was tiny, tiny, tiny however.

by Anonymousreply 6905/19/2010

reply 5 are you gay? Seriously? You name every gay diva stereotype. LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 7006/08/2010

Nirvana, the Cow Palace (Disposable Heroes of Hiphopcrisy opening), a month or so before Kurt died.

Moshed w/ the BF of the time, we made out in the mosh pit, afterward our clothes were ripped and torn and dirty. We then went home and had the hottest sex evah.

by Anonymousreply 7106/08/2010

Anne Margaret

Donna Summer

The B-52's

by Anonymousreply 7206/08/2010

Throwing Muses at the old Knitting Factory on East Houston (that must have been in 1992).

The Pretenders at the Beacon 1993.

Patti Smith at the Warsaw in Williamsburg.

PJ Harvey at the Hammerstein Ballroom in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 7306/08/2010

Somebody way back wrote that Queen "opened" with 'Bohemian Rhapsody.'

Um, no. Saw them 3 times. It's their finale. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 7406/08/2010

Peter Allen "Up In One".

So beautifully designed and executed. e.g. "Wouldn't it be great to be on Manhatten penthouse terrace under a full moon?"

And suddenly, we were.

The most amazing nights in the theatre:

Lindsay Kemp's "Flowers". He really DID create a Jean Genet wet dream.

The opera the "The Pearl Fishers", designed by Oscar winner John Truscutt. It included the most breathtakingly beautiful visual effect I've ever seen: an enormous curved backdrop painted mother-of-pearl, and underneath it banks of spot lights shining on hidden spangled fabric blown by a wind machine. Offstage and hidden, enormous mirrors on either side of proscenium. When the bank of spotlights came slowly on with fog machines to represent the island dawn and the glitter of the sea, the shimmer slowly rose into the mother of pearl sky, reflected on the hidden mirrors, which bounced it back onto the backdrop, which reflected it into the theatre, which took on the most extraordinary shimmering pulsating glow as the soprano did her stuff. It was like a holy vision. People were practically falling out of the boxes in ecstasy. I've never witnessed anything like it.

by Anonymousreply 7506/08/2010

Donna Summer on my 16th birthday (1981) was probably my favorite. The review in the paper raved about her, saying she was better than both Springsteen and Linda Ronstadt who had immediately preceded her at the arena.

by Anonymousreply 7606/08/2010

More from the people who saw Nirvana please. Any impressions of Kurt you'd like to share?

by Anonymousreply 7706/10/2010

B52s in Boulder at CU Beach Boys at Allen Fieldhouse at KU in Lawrence, KS Emmylou Harris at OSU in Stillwater, OK Laura Branigan in Denver. She perspired on me! Kansas and the then little known opening act, Loverboy, at OSU also Pat Benatar at Red Rocks - Denver Dwight Yoakum with Suzy Boggus and Carlene Carter - Houston

by Anonymousreply 7806/10/2010

Back in the 70s when I was in college I worked at the local arena. I got to see many concerts, but the ones that stand out to this day are: Paul McCartney and Wings on his Wings Over America tour in the mid 70s. A totally overwhelming experience. It was his birthday that night. After the concert Linda Ronstadt performed for him at a party held for him in the arena.

Elvis, I believe it was a year or 2 before he died. Saw grown women crying like babies.

I remember the David Bowie concert, it looked like Holloween the way a big portion of the audience came dressed.

I have a pay stub that says I worked a Springsteen concert, but i can't remember it at all. I was never a big fan of his.

by Anonymousreply 7906/12/2010

Radiohead Boston 2006 Night 2

legendary

by Anonymousreply 8006/12/2010

Rick Dees, Disco Duck Tour, 1977

by Anonymousreply 8106/12/2010

It was almost 40 years ago, when I saw Chicago (Then called Chicago Transit Authority) at Madison Square Garden, back when they had a bunch of songs on the radio. They were great.

But Columbia Records had sent an unnamed newly signed singer-songwriter to be their opening act. Very unlike Chicago and not received very well by the crowd, though I liked him from the start. He did pretty well since then too: Bruce Springstein.

by Anonymousreply 8206/12/2010

Daft Punk in Las Vegas for spectacle.

Music-wise, either Beth Gibbons at TLA in Philly or Whitest Boy Alive at the Camden Palace.

by Anonymousreply 8306/13/2010

Bruce Springsteen at Madison Square Garden in 1978 for the Darkness tour. He was amazing and totally hot (probably in his late 20s).

Warren Zevon at Rutgers Barn in 1980. I was in the first row right in front of his piano. I still remember the sweat that stained his shirt as he play "Play it all night long." I was a horny 17 year old there with my high school bf. I kissed him through most of Carmilita.

Pink Floyd (David Gilmore version) at Giants Stadium for the Division Bell tour. I was in the top row, but loved the show.

Bright Eyes at the Metropolis in Montreal. It was probably 2006 or 2007, and Conor was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 8406/13/2010

The Doors. They played at a conservative farming town and the audience was stunned into silence after their performance.

by Anonymousreply 8506/13/2010

Erykah, Korn, Jay z, though every single concert I've been to of the first two was 10/10, Hov is hit and miss. EWF, Rachelle Ferrell, Patti, Stephanie Mills, Prince, Frankie Beverly..you can't go wrong with any of these.

by Anonymousreply 8606/13/2010

Two double bills are in my top shows:

1) Ramones with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in the 1970s when they were starting out at the Paramount in Seattle. Both bands came out blazing. The audience was a combination of punks and rednecks fighting. Kids were throwing rolls of toilet paper down from the balcony.

2) Los Angeles Greek Theater Tower of Power and Average White Band. Wasn't really expecting anything, a friend had tickets. Both bands were nearly perfect. Really great musicians.

by Anonymousreply 8706/13/2010

1. Pink. 2. Springsteen and E St Band. 3. Midler. 4. Minnelli. 5. Harry Chapin.

by Anonymousreply 8806/13/2010

Vonzell Solomon.

by Anonymousreply 8906/13/2010

Donna Summer 1977

B52s 1980

Thompson Twins 1984

by Anonymousreply 9006/13/2010

Tom Waites and Janice Ian 1975

by Anonymousreply 9106/13/2010

Odetta

by Anonymousreply 9206/13/2010

Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five Re-Union Concert back in the 80's. Incredible.

Barbra Streisand

Prince. Back in the late 80's. He is an amazing entertainer. Seriously awesome.

Haven't been to a concert in about 15 years. Don't like crowds

by Anonymousreply 9306/13/2010

Tiny Tim. His "There's a Fellow Following Me" brought down the house.

by Anonymousreply 9406/13/2010

R75, any video or pics of that pearl around? Sounds amazing.

by Anonymousreply 9506/13/2010

David Bowie and Nine Inch Nails, the Outside tour I think. They did a duet on Hurt that made me sob like a baby.

by Anonymousreply 9606/13/2010

Elvis Presley 1972

Aerosmith, AC/DC, Ted Nugent, Mahogany Rush Day On The Green - July 1979)

Rush - Moving Pictures Tour 1981

Queen - The Game Tour 1980

Queen - Hot Space Tour 1982

Led Zeppelin 1977

Pink Floyd 1980

The Ramones 1978

The Rolling Stones 1981

Metallica & Guns N' Roses 1992

David Bowie/Nine Inch Nails 1995

by Anonymousreply 9708/10/2013

Prince. 25 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 9808/10/2013

Janet Jackson's "Velvet Rope" tour.

by Anonymousreply 9908/10/2013

The first concerts I attended were as a 17 year old in Texas in 1985. They are still my favorite concert memories.

Kiss & Queensryche - January 1985

Metallica & Armored Saint - Feb. 1985

Iron Maiden & W.A.S.P. - March 1985

Deep Purple, Scorpions, Nugent, Night Ranger - (Texxas Jam - Aug. 1985)

Motley Crue, Y&T - October 1985

AC/DC & Yngwie Malmsteen - October 1985

Dio & Rough Cutt - Nov. 1985

Kiss & Black 'n' Blue - Dec. 1985

Rush & Steve Morse - Jan. 1986

Yes, I was a little gay metalhead back in my youth (hey, don't knock it. I met lots of hot guys at some of those shows, LOL).

by Anonymousreply 10008/10/2013

Best:

Aerosmith 1977 (Houston)

Kiss 1977 (Houston)

Queen 1977 (Houston)

AC/DC 1980 (Houston)

Worst:

The Eagles 1980 (What a yawn! So boring.)

by Anonymousreply 10108/10/2013

Styx "Paradise Theater" Tour in Feb. 1981.

I have seen many concerts, but that was the best.

by Anonymousreply 10208/10/2013

I was 15 and my first boyfriend took me to see Alice Cooper on the Billion Dollar Babies Tour (1973). That was a helluva show.

My second favorite concert would have been The Rolling Stones in Dallas on the Some Girls Tour in 1978. They were still young and fired up.

Those are the two that stand out in my memory.

by Anonymousreply 10308/10/2013

Some of you queens are so cliche. Better Midler Liza Cher Barbra LOL LOL LOL

by Anonymousreply 10408/10/2013

Glenn Miller Orchestra 1934

by Anonymousreply 10508/10/2013

The Police and Joan Jett & The Blackhearts at Shea Stadium - August of 1983.

AC/DC, Flick Of The Switch Tour in 1983.

Rush, Power Windows Tour in 1986.

Judas Priest, Turbo Tour in 1986.

ZZ Top, Afterburner Tour in 1986.

David Bowie, Never Let Me Down Tour in 1987.

Depeche Mode, Music for The Masses Tour in 1988.

Metallica, Black Album Tour in 1992.

Paul McCartney in 1993.

by Anonymousreply 10608/10/2013

US Festival 1983 - Day 2, featuring Van Halen, Scorpions, Judas Priest, Ozzy Osbourne, Triumph, Quiet Riot and Motley Crue.

US Festival 1983 - Day 1, featuring The Clash, INXS, Stray Cats, Wall Of Voodoo, Men At Work, Divinyls.

The Who and The Clash in 1982

David Bowie - Serious Moonlight 1983

Duran Duran in 1984

Ozzy Osbourne & Metallica in 1986

by Anonymousreply 10708/10/2013

Prince (Purple Rain Tour) - Riverfront Coliseum, Cincinnati, OH - Jan 22, 1985

by Anonymousreply 10808/10/2013

"An Evening With Rodgers and Hammerstein" at the Merriweather Post Pavilion. The National Symphony Orchestra conducted by Lloyd Geisler with a 60-voice chorus and soloists. The audience numbered more than 15,000. It was truly a night to remember. I'll never forget standing on that stage and looking at all those people enjoying the music.

by Anonymousreply 10908/10/2013

Little Big Town in a small southern bar. They were flawless.

by Anonymousreply 11008/11/2013

Daft Punk during the Alive 2007 tour Kanye during the Glow in the Dark Tour Sleater-Kinney on their last tour Jon Brion a few years ago The Boredoms at the Intonation Festival (RIP) in 2005 or 2006 R. Kelly at Pitchfork Festival this year was surprisingly fantastic

by Anonymousreply 11108/11/2013

Lollapalooza 1996 with Metallica, Soundgarden, The Ramones, Cheap Trick.

U2 in 1997 Popmart concert

by Anonymousreply 11208/11/2013

[quote]B-52's, Arlington Theater, Santa Barbara 1983.

THAT was an amazing show!

by Anonymousreply 11308/11/2013

Another one for Tina Turner @ Radio City Simply the Best Tour.

by Anonymousreply 11408/11/2013

Queen at the Summit in Houston, TX in August 1982 on the "Hot Space" Tour. The opening act was Billy Squier. Out of the hundreds of concerts I have attended, this was by far the best. Freddie, Brian, John and Roger were flawless and so powerful. I will always remember that special night.

by Anonymousreply 11508/11/2013

I am 19 and haven't seen too many shows yet. The best I saw was Rammstein in San Antonio in May 2012. Rowdy!!!!

My dad is a cool old school rocker and he took my brother and me to see Kiss (I think it was in 2010) and they were awesome.

by Anonymousreply 11608/11/2013

The STP concert in Newark two years ago - and I fortunately had much better seats (in center orchestra row F) than the guy who recorded this (from a side balcony).

Weiland BTW was obviously high or something because he was completely undecipherable whenever he tried to speak, but he delivered when he performed. And the whole show was pretty much a sing-a-long.

by Anonymousreply 11708/11/2013

Joni Mitchell right after "Blue" came out. We had a sense that, but didn't know that we were seeing an extraordinary artist at her pinnacle.

by Anonymousreply 11808/11/2013

1983: Eurythmics opened for The B-52's, Forest Hills Tennis Stadium

1984: Martha & the Muffins (M+M) opened for Howard Jones who opened for Eurythmics

2013: Sparks - Two Hands, One Mouth Tour @ Highline Ballroom

by Anonymousreply 11908/11/2013

BEE GEES - 1979 - The 'Spirits Having Flown' concert tour. Amazing.

AEROSMITH - 1978 - Phenomenal.

ROLLING STONES - 1989 - Spellbinding.

AC/DC - 2008 - Frenetic and scorching hot.

PRINCE - 1997 - Powerful.

HALL & OATES - 1983 - Terrific.

by Anonymousreply 12008/11/2013

Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance Tour - Sept. 1982.

I was 17 and I wasn't into metal but I dated a guy who was. He talked me into going with him. I was blown away. I have been a huge fan of Priest ever since (they are actually one of my favorite bands). One of the few all out metal bands that I like. Funny that Halford turned out to be gay (I kind of suspected it back then - all that leather, lol).

My other favorite concert was New Order in 1989.

by Anonymousreply 12108/11/2013

Melanie -- whom I have loved since I was 12 years old. In 2007 or so in Austin TX in a venue so small there were only about 50 of us there. Like a personal concert in my living room and then total access to her afterwards. The only concert I like -- why go see Cher when she's a dot 500000 miles away?

by Anonymousreply 12208/11/2013

I was thinking about it and,realized most of the best shows I ever saw were at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston. Lou Reed. Early 80's. THE best show I ever saw! Orpheum Boston

The Pretenders 80's (the last three shows they ever did w/original line-up) Orpheum Boston Laurie Anderson early 80's Wang Center Boston

Cocteau Twins ,Four Calander Cafe tour ,Orpheum Boston

Bowie, Stage tour,1978 Providence Civic Center Bowie, Serious Moonlight tour Sullivan stadium, Foxboro Ma. (Tripping!!!) 80's

Morrissey, You Are the Quarry tour, Orpheum Boston 2004 (?)

by Anonymousreply 12308/11/2013

TOOL 1996, AENIMA TOUR

by Anonymousreply 12408/11/2013

Black Sabbath in Santa Monica CA, 1975

Queen in Houston TX, 1977

Black Sabbath and Van Halen in Houston TX, 1978

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant in Austin TX, 1995

Black Sabbath & Pantera in San Antonio TX, 1998

Heart in San Antonio TX, 1999

by Anonymousreply 12508/11/2013

The best were...

NEAL SEDAKA, 1975

BARRY MANILOW, 1982/83

AIR SUPPLY, 1980

MANHATTAN TRANSFER, 1981

DIVINE, 1983

THE NYLONS, 1987

The worst was...

WHITNEY HOUSTON, poor girl was way past her prime and struggling. A shame because I loved her more than anyone else who ever lived. I cried in the car on the way home because I knew she was not long for this earth.

by Anonymousreply 12608/11/2013

I can think of three shows that changed my young life back in the day.

Elvis Presley in 1972. He was amazing. Such a powerful voice and an enigmatic presence.

The Rolling Stones in 1972. The Exile On Main Street Tour. Words cannot describe!

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy jaunt in 1973. Pure rock perfection. I was thoroughly engrossed and entranced.

I agree with the earlier poster that said that the Eagles were a snooze-fest live. I saw them in 1977 (at their peak) and I thought they were the most lifeless, boring live act I ever saw.

by Anonymousreply 12708/11/2013

Cher in Las Vegas, bitches. Gurl was on fire!Gurl wore like 14 different dresses during the show and each was more stunning than the last. Madonna only wishes, bitches! The song and dance sequences were just divine.

Taylor Swift. We took my 13 year old goddaughter to see her. I had never paid Taylor any mind before, but I was floored. She looked amazing. The gowns were to die for. Gurl's gonna be a major diva-diva. I was enthralled by her head o' hair. Luv her.

Divine. This was way back in the way back, honey. Bitch was knocking 'em for a loop. Gurl was heavy but she worked that rotund body, didn't hurt nobody, gurl! That silver mini-dress was hot, hot, hot, I liked it a lot, gurlfriend. Divine was the bigtime diva-diva.

by Anonymousreply 12808/11/2013

R128 KAHHHH-WEEEEENNNNN!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 12908/11/2013

Scorpions/Iron Maiden in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 13008/11/2013

Metallica "...And Justice For All" Tour 1989.

by Anonymousreply 13108/11/2013

There were several great ones ---

Billy Joel, circa 1990

Madonna, circa 1990

Garth Brooks, circa 1991

Wilson Phillips, circa 1990

One that really stands out was the Village People in 1979. I was 8 years old and my mom took me and my beloved cousin Stephanie. We loved it. We were doing the Y.M.C.A. dance right in front of the stage. I think the construction worker was my first gay crush.

by Anonymousreply 13208/11/2013

Without a doubt, it was QUEEN ("The Game" Tour), Madison Square Garden, Sept. 1980. I have seen many shows but no one else came close.

Queen played two nights at The Garden. We had tickets for both shows. The second night we had the best seats and it was a religious experience, to say the least. Awe-inspiring.

by Anonymousreply 13308/11/2013

In pop music: *The Rolling Stones on Jagger's 29th birthday, the last night of the "Exile" tour *Springsteen every time I saw him (3 times in 20 years) *Lou Reed: Amazing performance at the Bottom Line when he did "The Bells" tour *Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young: The day Nixon resigned. The audience went crazy during "Ohio," chanting and cheering. When the band left the stage, they were clapping for the audience

Yes, I date myself.

In classical music: *The Philadelphia Symphony Orchresta,

by Anonymousreply 13408/11/2013

Blue Oyster Cult and U.F.O. - I think it was 1978. Excellent show. Best I ever saw!

Kiss & Ted Nugent - 1975

Styx - Cornerstone Tour - 1979.

Aerosmith - 1976, 1977, and 1978. The were consistently great.

J. Geils Band - 1978/1979.

Rush - 1979 (Hemispheres Tour)

by Anonymousreply 13508/11/2013

Fleetwood Mac 1980 - they were supporting the excellent 'Tusk' LP.

by Anonymousreply 13608/11/2013

Metallica/Guns N' Roses/Faith No More 1992.

by Anonymousreply 13708/11/2013

Led Zeppelin 1977 (LA)

Pink Floyd, The Wall 1980 (LA) - The stage set (wall) was so massive they only did it in NY and LA in the US.

by Anonymousreply 13808/11/2013

About 20 yrs. ago, a favorite, not the best. A favorite because Engelbert Humperdink wore a tight pair of satiny pants, and I was pretty close to the stage. In those days, at least, the performers were most daring. He just poured it on. At one point, he summoned two shapely blondes to join him onstage. Often thought they were plants. He sang to them, and at one point, he went down on his haunches, and so the very young blondes did the same. He continued to sing suggestively as was possible. One of the blondes made a sudden forward movement. Engelbert feigned (?) surprise, and said loudly, "Ahhh, you got it, didn't you!" We all reacted in an amused way, as was the fashion, then. Other stuff went on, but it would take an even longer post.

by Anonymousreply 13908/11/2013

I'd say the best ever was Liza Minnelli at the Arie Crown Theater in Chicago, 1979. She was also spectacular at the Seattle Opera house in 1994.

Also fantastic, Jethro Tull, Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind and Fire at the University of Illinois in the mid 70's.

Laurie Anderson in the mid 80's at the Auditorium in Chicago.

Kathleen Battle, Jesse Norman in Seattle (not together. rats).

Stephan Grappelli. Charlottes Web in Rockford in the 70's.

John Berendt on his "Midnight in the Garden of Evil" tour in Palm Desert.

by Anonymousreply 14008/11/2013

Best Shows = GG Allin, Madonna, GWAR, Suicidal Tendencies, Leather Nun, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Janet Jackson, 45 Grave, 10,000 Maniacs, The Exploited, Living Colour, Billy Joel, Stone Roses, Dead Kennedys, Offpring, SS Decontrol, Plasmatics, Green Day.

Worst Shows = Adam Ant, Stryper, Taylor Dayne, Petra, Bush, Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 14108/11/2013

One Direction.

by Anonymousreply 14208/11/2013

Best: Cher. I have seen her eleven times. George Michael was almost as good. Saw him twice. John Mayer - terrific! Bonnie Raitt - beyond words.

Worst: Britney Spears. We left halfway thru. She is so over-rated. Christina Aguilera was atrocious live, as well. 98 Degrees, forget about it. They stunk.

I would kill or die to see ABBA. I was too young to see them when they were still together back so long ago. Cyndi Lauper as well.

by Anonymousreply 14308/11/2013

Guns n Roses and the Rolling Stones at the LA Coliseum

by Anonymousreply 14408/11/2013

Rusted Root

The Rippingtons

Indigo Girls

Dixie Chicks

Joan Baez

by Anonymousreply 14508/11/2013

AC/DC, Fly On The Wall Tour, 1985

by Anonymousreply 14608/11/2013

Some good ones-

Diana Ross

Pointer Sisters

Sylvester

Midnight Star

Jermaine Stewart

by Anonymousreply 14708/11/2013

Rush and Thin Lizzy, 1976. Both bands were on the brink of hitting it big. Rush had just released 2112 and Lizzy had just released Jailbreak. An amazing show. My first concert at age 14. My favorite Uncle(also gay)took me. A great concert memory. I miss you Uncle Jeff. You were a hell of a great guy.

Another great show was The Cars in 1984 on their Heartbeat City tour. It kicked ass.

by Anonymousreply 14808/11/2013

Grant Lee Buffalo and 16 Horsepower at the TLA in Philadelphia on Oct. 31, 1996.

The whole night was kind of magical (MARY!). I was a nerdy 14 year old and I felt so cool and sophisticated spending Halloween on South St.

I didn't know anything about 16 Horsepower, but they played amazing Southern Gothic music that lent the perfect spooky ambiance to the night.

When GLB came out on stage, the drummer walked over and handed me a bouquet of lilies. It was almost certainly because I was one of the few girls in the front, but damn if it didn't make me feel special.

Then they played an amazing set. Grant Lee Phillips was a surprisingly funny and engaging frontman. He had (and still has) one of the most beautiful voices in rock/pop/folk music.

After the show, I got hit on by the bass player. He wanted me to go with him to a bar down the street where 16 Horsepower was playing a late set. Now, of course, I realize how creepy and inappropriate that was, but my naive teenage self was flattered at the time. I didn't go with him and instead went home on cloud nine.

by Anonymousreply 14908/11/2013

July 1986, Queen at Wembley Arena in London. One of their very last concerts. It truly was 'A Kind of Magic"!

by Anonymousreply 15008/11/2013

Olivia Newton-John, 2012. I had waited to see her all my life (since Grease came out when I was 5 years old). I have worshipped her since then. I was in the front row and I cried like a baby through the entire concert. I almost fainted when she sang "Xanadu." I couldn't believe I was finally seeing my lifelong idol. That night made this old queen's life!

by Anonymousreply 15108/11/2013

Rolling Stones - Tattoo You Tour - Journey Opened. I think it was 1981. I'm pretty sure.

Van Halen - Fair Warning Tour - 1981.

by Anonymousreply 15208/11/2013

1978-ish. Meat Loaf. Intense...

by Anonymousreply 15308/11/2013

Dream Theater. I have seen them over 15 times. Best. Live. Band. Ever. They rock this boy's world.

by Anonymousreply 15408/11/2013

R154. Hey another Dream Theater fan here. They are great live. I love their sound. I have always thought of Dream Theater as the illegitimate product of a Kansas/Iron Maiden one night stand. DT fuckin' rocks!

by Anonymousreply 15508/11/2013

I am so utterly delighted to hear that the worlds of GG Allin and the DL (well, a future DL'er) once collided. I can't believe there were any survivors.

by Anonymousreply 15608/11/2013

Bette Midler. 1984. End of story. The only other concert that came close was Cher in 1989. Neneh Cherry was also very good.

Prince sucked. Overrated buffoonery.

Worst band I ever saw was U2. An ex dragged me to see that shitty band and I wanted to vomit. I cannot tolerate repetitive three chord frat rock like that. Thankfully I broke up with that moron so I didn't have to go through that hell again.

by Anonymousreply 15708/11/2013

I have heard really great and really bad stories from Prince shows. I have to get around to seeing him for myself sometime. I forgot to mention a recent favorite of mine - Screaming Females, fronted by a dyke guitar hero who looks like a seventh-grader and shreds like J. Mascis. So good.

by Anonymousreply 15808/11/2013

The Cure, too many times to count, and still amazing. Robert Smith can be spell-binding, live..and yet, hilarious.

Peter Gabriel, 'So' tour - and just last year, the 25th Anniversary tour of the album, 'Back to Front' - still so wonderful, still so life-affirming.

Yes, also too many times to count. Their music is like going to church - you can hear a pin drop, in a stadium of thousands. Downright celestial.

I know, I know, "Mary!"

by Anonymousreply 15908/11/2013

The Eurythmics at the Detroit Fox Theater - sweet Dreams tour. 1983 or so.

by Anonymousreply 16008/11/2013

AC/DC in 1979, 1980, 1983.

Led Zeppelin in 1977.

Kiss in 1976 and 1977.

Rush in 1979, 1981, 1986.

Rolling Stones in 1981.

Worst Concerts:

Kiss in 1979. The Kitty-Cat Drummer was wasted and was (reportedly) purposely sabotaging the show. What an asshole!

E.L.O. in 1977. I loved their albums, but if I wanted to hear their albums I would have stayed at home and played them. They lip-synched and mimed the entire show. It was so obvious. I love their music, though.

by Anonymousreply 16108/17/2013

Best = Adele

Worst = Amy Winehouse

by Anonymousreply 16208/17/2013

The Pixies

by Anonymousreply 16308/17/2013

What's with all of the metal heads in this thread? Are you all lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 16408/17/2013

R164 I'm a gay man and I like hard rock. You'd never know it by looking at me, though. Most of my buddies like rock too. I, personally, like a wide variety of music, but rock is my preference. I'm 53 and I guess it's the era I grew up in (the '70s).

by Anonymousreply 16508/17/2013

I'm a metal head and I am far from being a lesbian. LOL. I'm a 19 year old, big dicked 'mo who just happens to like his metal. I live for Nine Inch Nails - Metallica - Ozzy. No One Direction or Babs for this boy.

by Anonymousreply 16608/17/2013

Best: Bruce Springsteen, U2, Rush, Madonna, Willie Nelson.

Worst: Culture Club, Debbie Gibson (don't ask), Whitney Houston, Styx (not the original band - more recently - a lot of replacement members - it was sad).

by Anonymousreply 16708/17/2013

THE ROLLING STONES, 1994

by Anonymousreply 16808/17/2013

Little Jimmy Scott

by Anonymousreply 16908/17/2013

The Who, Madison Square Garden 1974.

by Anonymousreply 17008/17/2013

Iron Maiden "Powerslave Tour" in March of 1985 in Texas. Best. Concert. Ever.

The second best show I ever saw was U2 in the early '90s (Zoo-TV Tour).

by Anonymousreply 17108/17/2013

The best concerts I have attended were Rush in 1981 and Yes in 1983. AC-DC in 1983 was also awesome. I saw BB King a few years back and that old fucker rocked the goddamned house!

The worst concert I ever saw was, unfortunately, Chuck Berry (whom I love, musically). He was in a shitty mood and put on a god-awful show. He seemed to hold the audience in contempt. A very sad and bitter man (a deserving legend nonetheless).

by Anonymousreply 17208/17/2013

Spice Girls - I thank my lucky stars every day that I got to see them in their prime. They were the last great music act. It's all been downhill since then - - -

by Anonymousreply 17308/17/2013

GREAT ONES:

THE ROLLING STONES AND JOURNEY - 1981

THE WHO AND THE CLASH - 1982

METALLICA, GUNS N' ROSES, FAITH NO MORE - 1992

RUSH - 1996

BARBRA STREISAND - 2006

PINK FLOYD - 1994

MADONNA - 1990

by Anonymousreply 17408/17/2013

Steppenwolf and Janis Joplin in Asbury Park, in 1969. I was so young, so high, so horny. Had many good times in Fillmore East too.

by Anonymousreply 17508/17/2013

The best show this guy ever saw was Queen in Dallas, Texas in the Fall of 1980 (their tour supporting "The Game"). Pure awesomeness. I have seen hundreds of concerts in many genres (rock, pop, metal, punk, funk, r&b, country) but this was by far the best show I ever attended.

by Anonymousreply 17608/17/2013

Late Night Alumni. January 2012. They were amazing. Becky Jean Williams voice heard live and in person can make you high. Just amazing.

by Anonymousreply 17708/17/2013

Best - Elvis Presley, 1974. My parents were fans and dragged my gay 9 year old ass to his concert with them. I thanked them every day until they died. It was a life altering experience. I have never again experienced the pure excitement and bliss I felt that night. I had chills for weeks. The man was a God onstage.

Worst - Clay Aiken. It was easy to see why he faded into obscurity so quickly. An okay voice but absolutely no stage presence (not to mention what an asshole he was backstage). Like they say, what comes around goes around. Happy, Clay?

by Anonymousreply 17808/17/2013

Collective best = CBGBs 1977-78. Patti, the Ramones, Television, etc.

Perhaps my favorite of all was the Cramps' Halloween show at Irving Plaza around 1978. They did a late afternoon set for the under-18 crowd. Lux Interior climbed the curtains to the balcony while Ivy Rorschach writhed in her fishnets and stilettos. It was voodoo rockabilly at its most campily wholesome. For me, that show epitomized the goofy optimism of the punk scene that's often overlooked in retrospective reportage.

by Anonymousreply 17908/17/2013

r164, I was humored by your remark. I am the only lesbian I know who likes metal/hard rock.

by Anonymousreply 18008/17/2013

In late-1984 I went to see Rush in San Diego with an old lover. He was a massive Rush fan. I never liked metal, but I will admit that Rush made me a fan that night. They were amazing. The opening act was a guitarist I had never heard of, named Gary Moore. He blew me away. So much emotion and feeling in his playing. My former lover had heard of him and liked him, but I was floored by this guy whom I had never heard of just moments before he hit the stage. He was amazing. The emotion in his playing had me nearly in tears.

That was the best concert I have seen. I will put this one above even the Talking Heads (my fave group) and Bowie (my fave singer). I own every album ever made by both Rush and Gary Moore. The only metal in my massive music collection.

by Anonymousreply 18108/17/2013

Best Concerts I Attended: Divine, Cher, Bette Midler, Diana Ross, Barry Manilow, Michael Bolton.

Worst Concerts I Attended: U2, The Cars. I hate rock and roll (sorry Joan Jett, but I do). I was in college and these were both 'friend' things. Pure misery.

by Anonymousreply 18208/17/2013

Best: Aerosmith 1976 in Houston. Rock and Roll at its finest. Incendiary.

Worst: Aerosmith 1977 in Houston. Another great concert, so I hear. I went with my cousin Dex. We were wasted on beer, pot, coke and acid. I remember one minute being transfixed on the scarves hanging from Steven Tyler's mic stand and the next minute waking up with the sun in my eyes on a park bench in Beaumont an hour and a half away.

I had no recollection of how I got from the concert in Houston to lying on a park bench in Beaumont. Worse, after I hitchhiked back home to Houston, I found out that the concert was four days earlier. I had lost four fucking days of my life and have never had any recollection about them.

My cousin said we met three guys at the show and I left with them. He had to work the next day, so he declined the invitation. I have NO MEMORY of those guys at all. I still wonder what happened during those three/four days. I assume it will be a mystery until the day I die.

Needless to say, I never used drugs again and have only drank moderately in the years to follow. That experience scared the living shit out of this white boy!

by Anonymousreply 18308/17/2013

Eydie Gorme at the Copa

Patti Page at Club 21

Peggy Lee at the Stork Club

Perry Como at El Morrocco

by Anonymousreply 18408/17/2013

I am jealous of everyone that got to see Freddie Mercury Live.

My first concert was incredible, I got to see Madonna in 1987 on her Who's That Girl tour in Atlanta when I was just a preteen. I still think it is her best concert ever. She was so much fun at that time, and her energy was infectious. I had so much fun.

I got to see Prince a couple of years later in Atlanta on his LoveSexy tour, he was so dynamic & talented on stage it made up for the long wait between some of the sets, he likes to keep his audience waiting I guess, he was amazing though.

I got to go to Lolapalooza in 1992, and had the best time, so many bands I liked played, but my favorite band there was the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

by Anonymousreply 18508/17/2013

R183 I had a similar experience. I went to see Metallica when I was 20 in 1989 and I was heavily intoxicated. I woke up the next day in bed with a WOMAN (whom I had no recollection of meeting)!!!! I am 100% homosexual so I have no idea how I functioned with her, but apparently I rocked her sexual world. It's a shame that the only woman I ever had sex with is completely unmemorable to me. Maybe it's for the best. LOL.

I have seen Metallica several times since, but I have been COMPLETELY SOBER!!!

by Anonymousreply 18608/17/2013

Led Zeppelin in 1975 - That night was my 15th Birthday and I still consider that concert to be the high point of my life.

Second best would be Queen, on their Jazz Tour in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 18708/18/2013

Best: Tina Turner/Cyndi Lauper - Wildest Dreams Bettye Lavette - some random high school auditorium.

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings/The Heavy

Cleo Laine/John Dankworth (sp? - her husband so whoever the fuck he is) - early 90's

Worse: 1978 Styx/The Babies Ella Fitzgerald - right before she died, she was senile and they propped her up on a stool, she sang to the left and didn't even seem to know where the audience was. I was furious they would do this to a legend.

by Anonymousreply 18808/18/2013

I have only been to one concert in my life. It was New Kids on the Block in 1989 or 90 (I was 13). My mom took my kid sister, who was a fan. I thought it was a terrible show. Their music was so lame. I was so embarrassed to be there. I was one of like five guys there. The other four were total queens. I was so worried that people from school would see me there. The concert did not make me a fan.

by Anonymousreply 18908/18/2013

Judy Garland 1961

by Anonymousreply 19008/18/2013

Led Zeppelin, headlining the Knebworth Festival in August of 1979. I was in the military ad stationed in West Germany. My buddy scored tickets and we drove all the way to England and had the best time of my life. Zeppelin was on fucking fire. My tour of duty ended in early 1980 and I intended to see Zep again when they made it to the States.

Unfortunately, Bonzo died and their US Tour never happened. That '79 Knebworth show was awesome beyond words though.

by Anonymousreply 19108/18/2013

Jody Whatley 1987 the fucking best ever

by Anonymousreply 19208/18/2013

Patti Smith, in a small venue just before she "retired," in 1980 or so. I love punk.

by Anonymousreply 19308/18/2013

I'm still young (18) so I haven't seen many but:

Best - AC/DC (2009) - My dad's favorite band. He took me along and it was one of my greatest experiences in my life. Runner-up Rammstein (2012) great.

Worst - Robin Thicke (disappointing). Nickelback - they just sucked ass.

by Anonymousreply 19408/18/2013

Queen, front row center (pushed against the stage) in 1976.

Fine Young Cannibals, at the Channel in Boston. The Channel was a dance club and the FYC had just released their new album. I was familiar with the English Beat so I talked a friend into going. They played right in front of us as we danced the night away.

by Anonymousreply 19508/18/2013

Best: AC/DC (1991), Madonna (1987), Ozzy Osbourne (1992), Red Hot Chili Peppers (1991), Metallica (1997), Rush (1991), Tool (1996).

Worst: Queensryche at the Rocklahoma Festival 2012. I had only heard their one (semi) hit (Silent Lucidity) on the radio and I liked it okay (until that asshole of a singer ruined it for me). The band was obviously washed up and going thru the motions at that point and didn't want to be there. The singer (?) insulted the audience verbally and told us we were fucking losers. He had lost his voice, was bitter and was very jaded, coked out and a total cunt to everyone. Very shitty concert.

by Anonymousreply 19608/18/2013

Anyone of you fucks who likes Led Zepplin is a asshole. They suck Shit. They were white racist homophobic southern rock bullshit. Sweet Home Alabama is the worst song ever. Anybodys who like Led Zepplin is a kunt. They hate us gayz.

by Anonymousreply 19708/18/2013

R197 What are you, on dope? Led Zeppelin was awesome. They did not do "Sweet Home Alabama" (that was Lynyrd Skynyrd). Zep was a British band (not a Southern U.S. band). Get your facts straight. It seems like you're the one that's a cunt, dude!

by Anonymousreply 19808/18/2013

The fabulous Dusty Dpringfield's homecoming concert at Drury Lane, London. I still smie at the memory of that sensational night!

by Anonymousreply 19908/18/2013

Oops, I meant "smile" Also, am so fucking old, I loved Marlene Dietrich, Eartha Kitt , Bette Midler and Shirley MacLaine.

by Anonymousreply 20008/18/2013

PAULA ABDUL COLD HEARTED SNAKE TOUR 1988

TERENCE TRENT DARBY 1988

BITCHES!!!!!!!! 4 THA WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOO MUCHCOKE WNT SORRY LOL

by Anonymousreply 20108/18/2013

201 here sorry rto much cokesmack and otnher shit. I menat to say that piua Abdul was my best concert if I die oh well lol/ at list I had gun gun fun lol

by Anonymousreply 20208/18/2013

R202 Wow! Just wow. I think U need serious help. Drugs are bad, dude! I think you were trying to say that you've had too much coke and smack. Wow! U need serious help. I hope U get it b4 it's too late. Smack is a dead-end. Get help ASAP!

My best concert was Black Sabbath (Ronnie James Dio on vocals) & Blue Oyster Cult with Alice Cooper on a great package tour in the Summer of 1980. I was 15 and I loved the shit out of that show.

by Anonymousreply 20308/18/2013

PET SHOP BOYS DISCO TOUR BEST FUKKIN SHIT EVER NEXT TRO PAULA ABDUL SHE WAS THE NBEST BUT THEY WAS NEXT./

by Anonymousreply 20408/18/2013

Best = Madonna, 1985

Worst = Creed, 1998

by Anonymousreply 20508/18/2013

Whitney Houston, 1986, because she was my first. Her 1987 concert was okay, but The Greatest Love of All encore was worth the whole ticket price by itself.

by Anonymousreply 20608/18/2013

For concert that was not a musical act, the Hairspray in Concert show was the best because John Waters did the narration and the music played by a full symphony orchestra was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 20708/18/2013

Queen & Billy Squier '82

Judas Priest & Krokus '82

Rush '83

Pink Floyd '94

by Anonymousreply 20808/18/2013

I would have to say Alice Cooper on his "From the Inside" tour in early 1979. Very theatrical and totally intense. I was 12 years old and tagged along with my older brothers. I'm glad they were cool enough to take their hyper little brother with them. LoL.

by Anonymousreply 20908/18/2013

Springsteen - 1975 New Haven, CT

Guns 'n Roses - 90's New Haven, CT

Prince - 90s Wallingford, CT

Tina Turner/Cyndi Lauper - 90s Wallingford, CT

Those are the standouts.

by Anonymousreply 21008/18/2013

Gang of Four, Irving Plaza, NYC, 1980(?). And I don't even particularly like them.

by Anonymousreply 21108/18/2013

Yanni back in the '90s - the music was great and he put on a fabulous show. It was when he was dating the gorgeous Linda Evans (Krystle Carrington from my belved Dynasty) and she was there. She was not too far from my friends and me and we stared at her the whole time. Glamorous and gorgeous.

Another stand-out was John Tesh (seriously, I'm not kidding). He was unexpectedly terrific.

I saw Liza many years ago. I love her but she was "off" that night. It wasn't a very good performance but I still loved her.

by Anonymousreply 21208/18/2013

Daryl Hall & John Oates, early 80s

by Anonymousreply 21308/18/2013

Best:

J. Geils Band 1978

The Kinks 1980

Worst:

Lou Reed (beyond terrible!)

by Anonymousreply 21408/18/2013

The best two I saw were Michael Jackson and Janet Jackson. The worst I saw was Rhianna. She was awful.

by Anonymousreply 21508/18/2013

1990. Philharmonic Hall at Lincoln Center:

Frederica von Stade, Jerry Hadley, Samuel Ramey in concert.

Jacqueline Onassis was in the audience.

by Anonymousreply 21608/18/2013

I was in the Air Force and was stationed at Ramstein AFB in Germany and saw Queen in Munich in Sept. 1984 on "The Works Tour". A spectacle beyond belief!

by Anonymousreply 21708/18/2013

The Doors - 1967, before they hit it big with Light My Fire and before Jim Morrison went into his downward spiral.

I was just a 12 year old kid and our babysitter brought me and my BFF to a concert featuring four acts that included The Doors as 3rd opening act for Janis Ian. There were a couple of bubble gum acts that preceded them and when the Doors started playing, their music was so different-- bluesy, jazzy and mature and dark. Morrison was inanimate most of the time, clinging to the microphone stand but he had a clear, strong and hypnotic voice. Their last song was The End and when it reached that wild theatrical crescendo (think Acopalypse Now), Morrison went crazy. I remember how absolutely quiet the audience was when the song ended. Mind you, this was a conservative farming town not used to avante-garde artists. There was no applause when they left the stage but people started slowly clapping after 10 minutes. I sensed people were stunned into silence--some becaus they couldn't figure out what they just heard and the rest like me because we just saw a great musical performance.

I saw them a second time maybe a year and a half later. They were not as musically acute as they were then. Morrison was drunk most of the time and barely singing. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 21808/20/2013

Vince Gill in 1992 or 1993. His concert in my hometown was the last stop on his tour. At the end of the scheduled encore, he stepped away from the mic and spoke to his band. He came back and said they were having too much fun to call it a night, so they jammed and played another 5 or 6 songs. Incredible.

by Anonymousreply 21908/22/2013

OP here - I've seen some amazing concerts over the years (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, etc.) and I recently saw Paul McCartney at Outside Lands in SF. Wow, that was a hell of a show! I was really surprised at what a spectacular show he put on. It was a 3 hour set and his voice sounded pretty good. I didn't expect that at all.

by Anonymousreply 22008/22/2013

Bryan Ferry, late 80s, Greek Amphitheatre at UC Berkeley

by Anonymousreply 22108/22/2013

There's too many to list, I've been going to concerts since I was about 12! Camera's weren't banned years ago, I shot most of the concerts I've ever attended.

I saw Led Zeppelin every time they played NYC. From the Singer Bowl on the old World's Fair grounds to their last concert at Madison Square Garden, that's when Plant's son died and the rest of the tour was canceled. I had tickets for the reunion in London a few years ago, I couldn't make it.

The Rolling Stones, early 1970s. Great show, Jagger was wearing an ugly jumpsuit. I forgot what album they were promoting. Opening act was Stevie Wonder, he was great.

The Who at Madison Square Garden, when Keith Moon was still alive, he kicked over his drums at the end of the concert.

Jethro Tull at Carnegie Hall, what a wild show. Ian Anderson was in a red and black velvet coat and was hopping around on one leg.

The Police, they were always an excellent live band, so much better than their recordings. I've been a fan since the beginning, from CBGB's to their Shea Stadium concert, which wasn't very good. IIRC, Joan Jett opened and there was another band which I can't remember. Stadium concerts suck, in general. Not one of my fave Police gigs.

Bowie, from Carnegie Hall onto Radio City to Madison Square Garden. He's always been a excellent live.

YES, many times in the 1970s. Then I stopped listening. I did buy Jon Anderson's CD of Brazilian music, which he released in the 90s, it's pretty good.

Culture Club and many other great shows at the Pier: Elvis Costello, U2, Haircut One Hundred, Howard Jones and The Alarm. Aztec Camera were also excellent.

Jane's Addiction, a Halloween concert, IIRC it was at the Hammerstein Ballroom.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, not always good live, depends how drugged they are. Great show with Dave Navarro at Madison Square Garden.

King Crimson, Schaeffer Music Festival in Central Park, this was the band with John Wetton and Bill Bruford, it was an excellent show. I also saw The Kinks at the same venue, different night, excellent show.

B-52s and The Eurythmics at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium. Surly crowd, good show.

I saw a ton of shows at Radio City: Bryan Ferry, INXS, Public Image, Psychedelic Furs, Sting, Dwight Yoakum, The Cure, etc.

This great British funk rock band called The Higsons, I saw them every time they played NYC. Years down the line I was surprised to find out the lead singer, Charlie Higson, became famous in the UK as an author, comedy writer and actor.

I saw a ton of excellent shows at The Ritz, The Diplomat Hotel, The Peppermint Lounge, Danceteria and Roseland, in no particular order: Adam Ant, The Pretenders, Sade, The Jam, Squeeze, Yazoo, The Specials, The Beat, Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe, The Police, I wish I could remember the rest!

Peter Gabriel, many times, ditto for XTC, one of my fave bands, I saw all their NYC gigs.

Richard Thompson is always great live, I must have seen him about twenty times.

The Cure, many times and once for a few days straight at Radio City!

Plant and Page at Madison Square Garden. The second guitarist for that tour was Porl Thompson of The Cure, so the show was doubly great! "Kashmir" was a religious experience!

There are tons of other excellent shows I've attended, but I'd have to look at my old ticket stubs to remember them!

by Anonymousreply 22208/22/2013

"Mary!" me all you want, but the night I saw her, Streisand knocked me out. I saw No Doubt, Garbage, Gavin Rossdale, and Prince share a stage once, that was wicked. James Brown and the Soul Generals did the concert, then 20 mins later when most of the place cleared out came back for a 30 minute encore set, it was a huge thrill.

by Anonymousreply 22308/22/2013

I was 13 years old, it was Queen - Dallas, Texas - October 28, 1978 (The "Jazz" Tour). That was the absolute best!

by Anonymousreply 22408/23/2013

The Best:

Taylor Dayne 1989 - THE performer of the 1980s. Saw her in college and she blew my mind.

Sinitta 1989 - Commanding and energetic.

Tiffany 1987 - Surprising, but her mall show I saw was prolly the best show I have ever seen.

Pebbles 1988 - Should've been much bigger. Great.

Paul Lekakis 1987 - Very sexy and a great singer.

The Worst:

The Cure. I got dragged to see them in college. All the other gay boys worshipped them. I thought they were depressing, droning, musically untalented and noisy. I never understood the appeal.

Jermaine Stewart. Boring and fug. No talent.

by Anonymousreply 22508/23/2013

depeche Mode: Music for the Masses tour - Jones Beach AMAZING!

INXS: Kick Tour Jones Beach - so good! Front row.

David Bowie: Meadowlands - glass spiders tour. F-ing Lisa Lisa and the cult Jam opened. Front row!

Squeeze - Babylon and on tour - Jones Beach - awesome.

so many more - between '85 - '87 I went to 2 concerts a MONTH in the NYC area.

by Anonymousreply 22608/23/2013

Grand Funk Railroad, 1974. Those guys were huge at the time and my best buddy from high school bought me a ticket for my 15th birthday. We had the time of our lives that night. I have seen a lot of shows, but GFR was the best.

On a side note: I used to have an awesome black and white poster of Grand Funk hanging on the inside of my closet door. The four guys were nude and crouched on the floor with their cocks exposed. My mom couldn't understand why in the world I would have had naked men posted on my door. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 22708/23/2013

Captain & Tennille, Come In From The Rain tour,197?

by Anonymousreply 22808/23/2013

BEST = JANET JACKSON, BITCHES!!!!!!

2ND BEST = CHER, TINA TURNER.

WEAK = MADGE, LADY CACA.

by Anonymousreply 22908/23/2013

Some good ones...

Rolling Stones - Steel Wheels Tour '89

Depeche Mode/Stabbing Westward - '98

David Bowie/Nine Inch Nails - '95

Pink Floyd - '94

U2 - '97

AC/DC - '08

by Anonymousreply 23008/23/2013

Envious of everyone who saw Led Zeppelin back in the day.

BEST: Lou Reed is hit-or-miss. When he's good, he's very VERY good but when he's bad, he's AWFUL.

I've seen a couple of killer Grateful Dead shows. Out of the 100+ Dead shows I saw, that's not a great batting average.

Chili Peppers in a Boston bar in the late '80's -- they were unlike any band I'd ever seen before and I love it.

WORST: The Monkees. Don't ask, don't tell.

Digital Underground, of "The Humpty Dance" fame. Remember them? They smoked a bunch of weed onstage and their performance went waaaayyyyy downhill after that. It was actually kind of funny.

by Anonymousreply 23108/23/2013

>>The Cure, many times and once for a few days straight at Radio City!

Were those the fairly recent Trilogy-Type shows, last Halloween-time?

Has anyone seen Kraftwerk live? Killed me to miss those MOMA shows.

by Anonymousreply 23208/23/2013

[quote]BEST = JANET JACKSON, BITCHES!!!!!!

I stopped going to her concerts because they were all the same. There was no creativity, no originality.

Inflatable storybook set, crying on a stool, bring a guy up from the audience to "tease," same choreography as those old videos, etc...

It got old real fast.

by Anonymousreply 23308/23/2013

Van Halen, Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken, Kingdom Come. Houston TX 1988 - Monsters of Rock Tour.

Great show, plus I met a really hot dude at the show and we ended up makin' hot monkey dude sex in my Bronco in the parking lot in the heat of the Texas sun with the A/C cranked.

God damn, I miss the fuckin' '80s.

by Anonymousreply 23408/23/2013

It seems like you Texas 'mos love your hard rock. I guess I may have to move down there, lol. All the 'mos up where I live are into anonymous house music, Lady Gaga and dubstep (even the oldsters like me, I'm 44). I'm one of only three rockers up here that I know of.

by Anonymousreply 23508/23/2013

R135 I live in Texas. Some of the butcher gay guys are rockers, but most gay guys here are into stereotypical music.

The younger guys (under 30) are into Lady Gaga, One Direction, Madonna, Robin Thicke, and dubstep/house.

The 30-Somethings are into Pearl Jam, Madonna, Lady Gaga, and 90s house music.

The 40-Somethings are into Madonna, The Cure, Cher, George Michael, 80s house music and 70s disco.

The over-50s are into Babs, Bette, Cher, Liza and showtunes. Country music too.

I am in my 40s and like a wide variety. I did grow up on hard rock in the '70s/'80s and new wave/punk in the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 23608/23/2013

The best I saw were Led Zeppelin ('77), Queen ('77), Aerosmith ('78) and Pink Floyd ('80), all in L.A.

by Anonymousreply 23708/23/2013

AC/DC "Razors Edge" Tour 1991, life-changing.

by Anonymousreply 23808/23/2013

The Jacksons Triumph Tour 1981 - The night I saw them the old-timey actress Katharine Hepburn (she musta been 90 years old) was in the audience like ten feet away from us rockin out.

Can U Feel It? Can U Feel It? Can U Feel It?

Love The Jacksons. Best Group EVAH!

by Anonymousreply 23908/23/2013

Blondie (with Debbie Harry, of course) at The Marquee in NYC ca. 1991. They were well out of fashion by that point, but did a killer show for their loyalist fans.

Pat Benatar at Wollmann Rink, back during the summer concerts in Central Park, ca. 1979-1980. Her first album was starting to hit big and the crowd was enormous. I'm convinced most of her success was simply hard work: she's a dynamic performer who works her ass off.

by Anonymousreply 24008/23/2013

Prince in D.C. in 2004.

by Anonymousreply 24108/23/2013

I have seen hundreds, but the best were:

AC/DC 1986 (Who Made Who Tour)

Iron Maiden 1987 (Somewhere In Time Tour)

Madonna 1987 (Who's that Girl Tour)

David Bowie 1987 (Glass Spider Tour)

Depeche Mode 1988 (Music For The Masses Tour)

Metallica 1989 (And Justice For All Tour)

Paul McCartney 1993 (The New World Tour)

Soundgarden 1994 (Superunknown Tour)

Tool 1996 (Aenima Tour)

Rush 1996 (Test For Echo)

Iron Maiden 2011 (Final Frontier Tour)

Lady Gaga 2011 (Born This Way Tour)

by Anonymousreply 24208/23/2013

Judas Priest, Alice Cooper & Motorhead in July 1991 on something called the Operation Rock & Roll Tour in Dallas, Texas. Those three acts were freakin' awesome. The rest of the acts on the bill (long forgotten) were terrible.

New Order in April 1989 in Austin, Texas.

by Anonymousreply 24308/23/2013

California Jam 2 in the Spring of 1978.

The bands were:

Aerosmith (headliner)

Foreigner

Ted Nugent

Heart

Santana

Dave Mason

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush

Bob Welch/Stevie Nicks/Mick Fleetwood

Jean-Michel Jarre

Rubicon

My best bud and our girlfriends (yeah, my buddy and I were fakin' the straight act back then and fucking each other every chance we got) had a helluva time. We were 18, stoned and crazy.

This was the best concert (out of hundreds) that I have seen.

by Anonymousreply 24408/23/2013

Manhattan Transfer -- 1979 and 1981

Sheena Easton -- 1984

The Nylons -- 1987

Divine -- 1988 just hours before her death.

Cher -- 1989

Michael Bolton & Celine Dion -- 1991

Barbra Streisand -- 2006

by Anonymousreply 24508/23/2013

Joboxers, 1983, London.

by Anonymousreply 24608/23/2013

The Go-Go's countless times in their L.A. club days (1979 to mid-1981). Oddly, I never saw them after they hit the bigtime in late '81.

Devo was fantastic. The B-52's were brilliant beyond words and Iggy Pop was terrible (so zonked on heroin and god knows what else).

I took my nephew to the L.A. Forum to see Kiss in 1977. I never cared for their music (I loathe metal) but their show was second to none. I was so into the spectacle that I found myself singing along to their idiotic anthems. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 24708/23/2013

Van Halen in November of 1982 on their "Diver Down" tour. Great concert, but even better - That night I met a guy that rocked my world. Our eyes locked and I knew we were destined to be together for the rest of our lives.

Here we are (almost 31 years later) in 2013, still together and still very, very happy. When gay marriage is finally legalized in our state, we will definitely take the plunge. I can't wait until that hot stud is finally LEGALLY mine. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 24808/23/2013

Rod Stewart in 1977

by Anonymousreply 24908/23/2013

Stravinsky's Les Noces performed by the Pokrovsky Ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 25008/23/2013

r248 congrats!

by Anonymousreply 25108/24/2013

OP, you HEAR concerts, not SEE them. OK?

by Anonymousreply 25208/24/2013

The best concert I ever saw was when I was 14 in 1969. Led Zeppelin and Grand Funk Railroad. My ears rang for days. Both bands were amazing beyond words!

by Anonymousreply 25308/24/2013

Itzhak Perlman in concert with the London Symphony Orchestra.

"A Capitol Fourth" - National Symphony Orchestra at the U.S. Capitol building on July 4th.

Frederica von Stade and Thomas Hampson in the world premiere of "Elegies" with the Jacksonville Symphony. It's based on letters written by her father, who died in WWII two months before the soprano was born.

by Anonymousreply 25408/24/2013

Best concert = Cher. She was even more fabulous than I would have dreamed. Beautiful costumes, entrancing stage presence, and she rocked out like crazy. This was in her late-eighties heyday and she was divine!

Also good = Barbra Joan Streisand. She was almost as wonderful as Cher. She was spectacular and very glamorous. I can die happy.

Worst concert = Britney Spears. I expected the lip-syncing but I expected her to at least have energy in her dance moves. I felt like a brain damaged 2-year old could have done the show she performed. It was embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 25508/24/2013

Grand Funk Railroad when I was a senior in high school (1975). God damn they rocked! It didn't hurt that I had a huge mancrush on the front-man, Mark Farner. LOL. That band rocked their asses off in the '70s. Nobody else came close, except maybe Aerosmith or early AC/DC.

by Anonymousreply 25608/24/2013

Best was Kiss in 1975. Energetic, kinetic and totally on fire! Oout of the many concerts I have seen, this was best.

Worst was Kiss in 1979. Only four years had passed but it was like a different band. There was no enthusiasm or energy in their set. They were out of tune (instrumentally and vocally). They were going through the motions and lost me as a fan forever that night.

by Anonymousreply 25708/24/2013

Talking Heads (Speaking in Tongues), the Clash (Combat Rock) and the Ramones.

by Anonymousreply 25808/24/2013

Best: Primus (3 times in the '90s)

Worst: Creed & Everclear. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 25908/24/2013

Todd Rundgren, Liars Tour, Webster Hall (the Ritz) 2004

by Anonymousreply 26008/24/2013

ALICE COOPER - Billion Dollar Babies Tour in 1973.

ROLLING STONES - Some Girls Tour in 1978.

U2 - War Tour in 1983.

by Anonymousreply 26108/24/2013

Prince. Every time I've seen him he kills it, even now in his fifties. U2 was great too, but I haven't seen them live since the nineties.

by Anonymousreply 26208/24/2013

I have enjoyed many--- Liz Phair, Morrissey, Go Go's, Rufus Wainwright, Prince,Donna Summer, Depeche Mode, Blondie--even Kelly Clarkson!-- but the best was about 10 years ago when my ex dragged me to see Cher on one of her "farewell tours". Cyndi Lauper was her opening act, and it was probably the best live performance I've ever seen. She sounded great and the emotion of the crowd was wonderful. And this was in a total redneck town! She really moved me.

by Anonymousreply 26308/24/2013

Oh, also .. Green Day concert where some hot frat guy stood behind me the last half of the concert, grinding his hard on into my ass, Good times!

by Anonymousreply 26408/24/2013

I have seen five concerts. I will rank them from best to least best.

1. Lady Gaga

2. Taylor Swift

3. Christina Aguilera

4. Jennifer Lopez

5. Britney Spears

by Anonymousreply 26508/24/2013

Pink Floyd Pulse Tour 1994

by Anonymousreply 26608/24/2013

For me, it was Liza at the Winter Garden. (Mary!) But I never went to that many concerts. It kind of had to be a big occasion. She was amazing. A true star.

For sex appeal it was INXS sometime in the late 80s. Michael Hutchence was so sexy. Too bad about him.

Oh, and I loved Shirley Bassey at the Hollywood Bowl. Amazing pipes.

by Anonymousreply 26711/06/2013

My Favorite Five (of hundreds):

Scorpions "Love At First Sting" Tour 1984

KISS - "Animalize" Tour - January 1985

Iron Maiden "Powerslave" Tour - March 1985

AC/DC "Fly On The Wall" Tour - October 1985

Judas Priest "Turbo" Tour - June 1986

by Anonymousreply 26811/06/2013

Easy: "The Cure" ... Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me tour.

Best concert I've ever seen... best light show, best musically, best set of songs... everything.

by Anonymousreply 26911/06/2013

Nina Simone, Seattle late 90's

by Anonymousreply 27011/06/2013

Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 27111/06/2013

Black Sabbath in 1976 (Technical Esctasy Tour). Their support acts were Boston (who had just released their awesome debut album) and a long-forgotten, but good, Canadian band called Moxy.

Another great one was Kiss in 1977 (Love Gun Tour). The support act was the excellent and very young, awesome, and energetic AC/DC (supporting Let There Be Rock).

by Anonymousreply 27211/06/2013

Metallica on their "...And Justice for All" tour in 1989. Those guys knew how to put on a show. Queensryche opened and they were fantastic, as well.

by Anonymousreply 27311/07/2013

Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park, 1981.

Led Zeppelin @ Madison Square Garden, 1975.

Queen @ The Summit in Houston, 1977.

by Anonymousreply 27411/07/2013

My parents took my sister and I with them to see Elvis Presley at Madison Square Garden in 1972. Sis and I were not expecting much (I secretly thought Elvis was a sexy stud but I hadn't really been into his music).

Sis and I both came out of that concert as confirmed lifelong Elvis fanatics. He looked sexy as hell that afternoon but his music was fucking stellar and his voice was phenomenal.

Out of the 300+ concerts I have attended, Elvis Presley was by far the best. He was better than Zeppelin in concert, better than Floyd, better than Madonna, better than The Jacksons (with Michael), better than Prince, better than U2, better than John Lennon, better than Paul McCartney & Wings. I saw them all and Elvis shined above them all by leaps and bounds. The true king of all music!

by Anonymousreply 27511/07/2013

#1. Stevie Winwood in the nineties with Joe Cocker as opening act @ MSG.

#2.Brian Wilson & Jeff Beck a couple of weeks ago at the Beacon NYC.

by Anonymousreply 27611/07/2013

R269 I saw that tour at MSG & the meadowlands- A M A Z I N G !

by Anonymousreply 27711/07/2013

Dixie chicks 2003 Houston TX! It was breathtaking and phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 27811/07/2013

Sarah Vaughn, Carnegie Hall 1985

by Anonymousreply 27911/07/2013

Alice Cooper, "From The Inside" Tour, Spring 1979. Great songs, great show, great theatrics. That was my absolute favorite concert ever. I love Alice to death! He's killer!

Rush, "Moving Pictures" Tour, 1981. Astonishing!

AC/DC, "For Those About To Rock" Tour, Dec. 1981. Pure adrenaline. Amazing beyond words.

David Bowie & Nine Inch Nails, 1995. Can you get any better than that? No! In this man's eyes, this was a dream bill.

by Anonymousreply 28011/07/2013

Britney Jean Spears in Las Vegas, NV in 2001. OMG. She was to die for. It was my 21st Birthday and my friends knew I was the biggest Brit Queen on Earth. They flew me to Vegas and the show was the ultimate experience of my life. The stage was fabulous and the backing dancers were so sexy. Brit changed costumes 10 or 12 times and each dress/costume was more elaborate and stunning. I loudly gasped at the beauty of her stage attire. I nearly fainted when she came out for her encore. Lordy Lord, she was stunning. She is the ultimate showperson and she blew me away. Lifelong fan here, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 28111/07/2013

Janet janet janet!!!

by Anonymousreply 28211/07/2013

JUDAS PRIEST - Memphis, TN - December 12, 1982. The 'Screaming for Vengeance' Tour. Great show AND it was taped for MTV, so I got to relive it a couple of months later on the Saturday Night Concert on MTV (though nothing touched actually being there live). Bad ass show!

I now have it on DVD and it's a hoot to see myself and my buddies in the audience shots. We were so young and sexy then (and so thin). LOL. I saw Priest again in 1984, 1986, 1988, 1991, 2004, 2005, and 2009. They were always awesome and they are still my favorite band ever.

by Anonymousreply 28311/07/2013

Taylor Swift, hands down. The only other one that came close would have been Britney. But Britney was a distant second to Taylor!

by Anonymousreply 28411/07/2013

1. Madonna

2. Taylor Dayne

3. George Michael

4. John Tesh (not kidding - believe it or not, he was amazeballs)

5. Miami Sound Machine

I was young in the late 80s and early 90s so I was fortunate enough to see the greatest in their prime.

by Anonymousreply 28511/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.