Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Most annoying NPR voice.

I'm going to go with Mike from You Bet Your Garden. I detect Philly, but more than that he seems to speak forced perky. Other than that, he really seems to know his stuff and I like him but something about his voice grates on me big time. And I'm from Philly (suburbs), but I don't sound like that.

by Anonymousreply 60005/25/2013

Peter overmayer. Horrible speech impediments .

by Anonymousreply 1005/15/2010

I used to thing that, too. Then I pulled my head out of my ass and started paying attention to the great interviews. I got over the voice and don't notice it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1105/15/2010

The bitch who hosts THIS SPLENDID TABLE owns this thread. I also hate Robert Siegel, especially how he always pronounces his name "SEE-gul" with over-emphasis.

by Anonymousreply 1205/15/2010

Is it mean to say Daniel Schorr? After all, the guy is 93 and still working.

by Anonymousreply 1405/15/2010

Which guys speaks at 78 rpm while listeners have 45 hearing?

by Anonymousreply 1605/15/2010

MEchelle norris puts me to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 1705/15/2010

"decade ago, so dewy, so fresh"

Terry Gross hasn't been "dewy and fresh" for MANY decades.

by Anonymousreply 2105/15/2010

I think Diane Rehm had some kind of throat cancer, which makes me feel even more horrible, but she sounds like she gargles broken glass in the morning.

Michelle Norris is probably the worst offender, but a lot of the female hosts have a habit being really precious about over-enunciation.

My boyfriend maintains the CarTalk guys pwn everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 2305/15/2010

Diane Rehm suffers from spasmodic dysphoria, a neurological disorder.

by Anonymousreply 2505/15/2010

sorry it's Peter Overby.

He just sopunds so awful, I have to turn the dial.

Who in hell told him he should go into radio - Barbara Walters?

by Anonymousreply 2605/15/2010

peter overby link

by Anonymousreply 2705/15/2010

Now here's an image I'm not sure I needed:

[quote]On August 20, 2009, Rehm caught her heel in the hem of her slacks while dashing across the street and cracked her pelvis when she fell. Recuperation took several weeks.

One of the Something Awful trolls did a Photoshop of an album called "Diane Rehm Sings Christmas Favorites." Which I can't help finding hysterical, and ashamed.

Yeah, I'm going to hell.

by Anonymousreply 2805/15/2010

On WNYC New York's NPR, Lorraine Maddox reads the list of underwriters. The most monotonous voice who says penis when describing someone who plays a piano.

by Anonymousreply 2905/15/2010

Diane Rehm asks some really tough questions. She also gets information on things that other reporters skip over and don't pass on. She has wonderful guests and I always learn from the questions she asks. I've gotten to the point where I'm so used to that voice that I barely notice because I'm so intent on the information that comes from her show.

by Anonymousreply 3005/15/2010

Schott Schimon is pretty irritating, trying to avoid those sibilants. Steve Kerwood, who's PRI actually, but he used to host Living on Earth, and he had this faux-musical cadence that never varied from sentence to sentence. Vomit inducing. Ira Flatow is fucking annoying R24. I cut Diane Rheem a little slack since I found out about her condition. She's consistently good. I hate the way Nora Raum says "Dow Jones", with a little dip in her voice. Tavis Smiley always sounds like he's yelling. (PRI again.) Best voices: Rene Montagne and Ofeibia Quist-Arcton, Dakar!

by Anonymousreply 3105/15/2010

"I'm Bob Oakes and this is the news." God, that accent is horrid! And unfortunately, I agree about Diane Rehm. Listening to her makes me want to clear my throat constantly..

by Anonymousreply 3205/15/2010

White House reporter, Scott Horsley owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3405/15/2010

Doo whalli si kow kow!!!

by Anonymousreply 3505/15/2010

I hate how Rex Paul pronounces his name as Kojo Nnamdi.

by Anonymousreply 3605/15/2010

I HATE BOB OAKES!!!! HATE HIM!!! Thank God I don't live in Boston anymore.

by Anonymousreply 3705/15/2010

I love Terry Gross' voice, and I think it still sounds quite youthful.

by Anonymousreply 3805/15/2010

No love for NPR Asian Reporter Doualy Xaykaothao?

by Anonymousreply 3905/15/2010

Oh, R39, no love whatsoever. Every time I hear Doualy pronounce her first name ("doo-wa-ha-lee") it drives me up the fucking wall. Perfectly good days have been ruined just by hearing her annoying voice on the radio. She OWNS this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4105/15/2010

R41 Don't you talk shit about Doualy Xaykaothao! That bitch will fuck you up big time if she finds out!

by Anonymousreply 4205/15/2010

Hate Doowalli. She needs to get a real name, then we'll talk.

by Anonymousreply 4305/15/2010

Ofeibia Quist-Arcton, Dakar! Seriously, I have no idea what this woman looks like, but she should be the next Catwoman. LOVE her.

How can you hate Daniel Schore? When he leaves or dies, I'll be distraught. I've listened to him for so long, and relied on his views---It would be like a death in the family.He's so...reasonable. I rewatched "The Net" with Sandra Bullock recently. He was there as a reporter. One of the more trusted news faces/voices of a generation.

Scott Simon is another, don't get me started. Legend. The geekiness that is Ira Glass endears me. I was shocked to find out he was straight.

Click and Clack, wow. VOTN, your bf/husband is so on the mark, they own this thread. I love a good Boston/NY outer borough accent. Possibly a small fetish. While I like them, those voices are seriously untenable.

by Anonymousreply 4405/15/2010

Your wish is our command, R44.

by Anonymousreply 4505/15/2010

Unfortunately, she's not exactly Catwoman material.

by Anonymousreply 4605/15/2010

Excepting Diane Rehm's, I find most of the voices on NPR pleasant and soothing. Is it a requirement of the network that on-air talent speak in an unemphatic, dulcet near-montone? Serious question.

by Anonymousreply 4705/15/2010

I do take a perverse delight in listening to Eleanor Beardsley, who sounds not unlike a Xanaxed Nancy Grace, having to delicately pronounce European names.

by Anonymousreply 4805/15/2010

No they're not. I like Terry Gross' voice.

by Anonymousreply 4905/15/2010

I CANNOT listen to Dianne Rheim.

by Anonymousreply 5005/19/2010

They should hire this guy:

by Anonymousreply 5105/19/2010

Linda Holmes. The only thing worse than her voice is her moronic material.

by Anonymousreply 5205/19/2010

[quote]Michelle Norris is probably the worst offender, but a lot of the female hosts have a habit being really precious about over-enunciation. So many sound like they came from SNL's Delicious Dish. A lot of times, the people they interview start to ape their slightly haughty and reverential tones. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 5305/19/2010

That stupid bitch who sounds like she's about to burst out laughing all the time: Neda Ulaby

by Anonymousreply 5405/19/2010

It's a tie: David Welna, Tamara Keith and Adam Goldberg.

by Anonymousreply 5505/19/2010

Another vote for queeny squealer Dr Zorba Paster--AND that lunkhead who is his co host!

The "Splendid Table" dame is Lynne Rosetto Casper. Her voice is irritating, but her cooking suggestions are gag inducing.

by Anonymousreply 5605/19/2010

I'm surprised there aren't more votes for Michele Norris and her, for lack of a better term, bedroom voice. Blecch.

by Anonymousreply 5701/06/2011

OMG I love Lynne Rosetto Casper's voice! I really find it so charming and soothing and lilting. I imagine her with big dimples, perfect teeth and a beautiful smile.%0D %0D It's Lakshmi Singh and her lockjaw accent who I can't bear.

by Anonymousreply 5901/06/2011

Neta Ulabi. I want to like her, i really do. Her pieces are good but her voice is just too affected.

by Anonymousreply 6001/06/2011

Singh it, Lakshmi!

by Anonymousreply 6201/06/2011

"I'm CLOW-djyoh San-CHESSS."

by Anonymousreply 6401/06/2011

Who's the lispy health/medical reporter? Oh, yeah, Joann Silburner(sp?). I hate her Thindy Brady sibilance.

by Anonymousreply 6501/06/2011

Louisa Lim the Asian Beijing based correspondent who can't pronounce her "R"'s. She's a Baba Wawa Elmer Fudd mashup.

by Anonymousreply 6601/06/2011

[quote]Diane Rehm suffers from spasmodic dysphoria, a neurological disorder.

I admire Diane's style and journalistic chops, but I have to admit that the tremor in her voice really bothers me.

I'm sort of a geeky audio guy, and hereby suggest that NPR consider running her through Autotune, which could probably smooth out that rapid variance in pitch.

by Anonymousreply 6701/06/2011

Lakshmi Singh's family are from Trinidad, but she pronounces "Pakistan" as if she were in a Mumbai call center.

The worst -- *worst!**-- NPR newsreader is Shay Stevens. They put her on the overnight shifts, probably because she's so awful.

by Anonymousreply 6801/06/2011

Ari Shapiro

Renee Montagne

Diane Rehm

The stupid bitch who hosts the cooking show

by Anonymousreply 6901/06/2011

Terry Gross' awful habit of inserting a giggle when she thinks it may be a tough question. I just want to slap her.%0D %0D Dr. Zorba has got to be the gayest sounding guy on all radio. He makes Richard Simmons sound butch.%0D %0D Lynne Rosetto Casper sounds as if she's talking down to everyone. It's like you're the hired help for the party but she'll pass on a few of her cooking hints.%0D %0D Ira Glass - flat, monotone, BORING! And how do they manage to find so many guests who sound even more boring than Ira?%0D %0D Diane Rehm asks the questions I'd ask and she drills them until they reply. Once you get accustomed to her voice, she's amazing. %0D %0D My favorites are Neal Conan (Talk of the Nation) and Ira Flatow (Science Friday). %0D %0D Michele Martin (Tell Me More), once demonstrated her everyday speech patterns and vocabulary compared to her radio voice. That was fascinating. It was like Whoopi Goldberg turning into Jane Seymour.

by Anonymousreply 7001/06/2011

Robert SEEgull (to paraphrase an old post, he always sounds like he is so tired of being mistaken for other men named Robert that he is indignent. It's like, "NO I am Robert SEEgull,how many times must I tell you?")

Ira Glass is ok. But he has a speech impediment too. He pronounces "love" as "wuv". Listen for yourselves.

Tavis Smiley tries to sound too street. And by street I mean ghetto and by ghetto I mean black.

by Anonymousreply 7101/06/2011

I can't think of the name but the guy that hosts the Market Place show just sounds sexy and fun.%0D %0D And sorry, I love Lynne Rosetto Casper, she just sounds like she's enjoying everything so much. She makes me happy.

by Anonymousreply 7301/07/2011

Oh God it's not even close. Those Bos-tards on Car Talk. I'd rather listen to Diane Rhiem sing Wagner's entire Ring Cycle than endure 30 seconds of their hideous accents.

by Anonymousreply 7401/07/2011

I'm sure they were all valedictorians of their class and eveything, but the sound of their voice should be taken into account in the final decision to hire them. There are some people on our local news who have voices that could drill a hole in concrete. Their fathers must be corporate bigwigs or something for them to have been hired.

by Anonymousreply 7501/07/2011

Ari Shapiro, of course. His voice just screams "I'm better than you."

by Anonymousreply 7601/07/2011

Tavis's mama fluncked spelled. She named him him Travis.

by Anonymousreply 7701/08/2011

Radio actually makes Ari's voice more tolerable. I recently had the misfortune of hearing him speak in person.

by Anonymousreply 7901/11/2011

The weekend announcer at WMFE in Orlando - gayvoice like you can't begin to imagine!

by Anonymousreply 8001/11/2011

Kai Ryssdal

by Anonymousreply 8101/11/2011

Meeeeechille Norris; I mean, come on, who in the hell pronounces Michelle that way (except the Beatles). God, she is incredibly annoying and faux compassionate and caring. I want to gag everytime she "sincerely" thanks one of her guests.%0D %0D Jeff Brady with his nerdy/little boy voice is also someone who makes me want to turn the sound off.

by Anonymousreply 8201/11/2011

I have always hated Scott Simon and his fake laugh.

by Anonymousreply 8301/11/2011

Ira Glass. He is a quintessential example of one of those Upper West Side nebbishes who will mow you over to get a table at Sarabeth's Kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 8501/11/2011

R77 flunked something too, unless he was being satirical... R65, agreed, Joanne Silburner owns this thread. I don't even think she has a mouth, she just has a giant nose.

by Anonymousreply 8601/11/2011

Lynn Rosetto was in the Paramus, New Jersey high school class of a teacher-friend.

by Anonymousreply 8701/11/2011

I love the beautfully rich sounding voice of Clayelle Dalferes on WQXR in New York. Every word is pronounced correctly, including names of foreign composers.

by Anonymousreply 8801/11/2011

Edward Goldman for Art Talk

by Anonymousreply 8901/11/2011

Spasmodic Dysphoria itself sounds like the name of an exotic yet dulcet-toned NPR host.

by Anonymousreply 9001/11/2011

Do they refuse to hire a George, Jim, Fred, Mary, or Carol? It seems you need an exotic name to get on NPR.

by Anonymousreply 9101/11/2011

I love MPR threads here.%0D %0D I'm surprised to see all the Lynne Rosetto Casper hate. I enjoy her immensely.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9201/11/2011

[quote]I'm surprised to see all the Lynne Rosetto Casper hate. %0D %0D I loathe the hate trolls who turn a mere dislike into "hate."

by Anonymousreply 9301/11/2011

Hands down: Sylvia Poggioli. Toots, we all know that you're really a Yank, as does everyone in Italy. So cut it out with the over-Italianization when you say your last name.

Runner up: just about any european radio correspondent reporting for NPR. They all have the *exact* same cadence. Duh duh .. duh duh .. .. duh duh .. duh duh .. .. duh duh .. duh duh .. duh duuuuuuuuuuuh. Every sentence ends the saaaaaaame. In every stoooooooory. When listening to their reports (or tuning into BBC World Service, for example), I actually find myself rocking to the cadence at some point. Don't get me wrong: I love BBC television news, but listening to BBC radio news is quite tedious, IMHO.

Sylvia tries to do it -- almost sounds like she goes out of her way to -- and it drives me up the fucking wall.

by Anonymousreply 9401/11/2011

Has no one mentioned those Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me guys yet? What're their names? And where does that show come from? It always sounds like they're in a huge stadium with thousands and thousands of people.%0D %0D I do love Paula Poundstone, however.

by Anonymousreply 9501/11/2011

" Ofeibia Quist-Arcton, Dakar!" Thanks to DL, I LOL every time I hear that.

by Anonymousreply 9601/11/2011

Lynne Rosseto Casper always sounds like she's on the verge of drooling.

Sandra Tsing-Lo - oh my god, how is this intensely unclever woman allowed on air.

by Anonymousreply 9701/12/2011

Cindy Rodriguez just because she insists on pronouncing her last name like she's just got off the plane from San Juan.

by Anonymousreply 9801/12/2011

Linda Hunt who announces for Commonwealth Club lectures out of SF. Such fake plummy tones! She makes Kathleen Turner and Sally Kellerman sound unaffected.

by Anonymousreply 9901/12/2011

R93, what the fuck is wrong with you?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 10001/12/2011

Dr. Zorba.

Click and Clack.

by Anonymousreply 10101/12/2011

One of the prizes on "Wait, Wait" is for Carl Cassel (sp?)to put his voice on your answering machine. Thanks, but no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 10201/12/2011

"From NPR Newwwwws in Washington, I'm Corey FlinTofffffff"

by Anonymousreply 10401/12/2011

For a network with supposedly well-eduated and well-spoken talent you can count the number of newscasters who know that news should be pronounced nyooz.

by Anonymousreply 10601/12/2011

Is there a reason Renee Montagne and Steve Inskeep don't feel compelled to pronounce names correctly? They're always butchering names.

by Anonymousreply 10701/12/2011

Speaking of butchering names, Dolores Handy in Boston stumbles over at least every third word she speaks. Drives me crazy!!

by Anonymousreply 10801/12/2011

Oooh Oooh, my favorite pet peeve. Most Annoying? ALL OF THEM! I don't know how they manage to find so many people with tics, speech impediments, raspy vocal chords, pinched nasal passages, and just plain monotones, but they do. It's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 10901/12/2011

The funny thing is, they refuse to hire black men--who usually have great radio voices.

by Anonymousreply 11001/12/2011

Garrison Keillor has a denture-whistle that can shatter wineglasses. There isn't a high-frequencey filter made that can cope with it. Sometimes I have to turn the dial, it's so ear-splitting and distracting.

by Anonymousreply 11201/12/2011

[quote]One of the prizes on "Wait, Wait" is for Carl Cassel (sp?)to put his voice on your answering machine. %0D %0D Why would anyone want that for a prize? If I phoned someone and heard his voice, I wouldn't even recognize the voice. Further, I wouldn't sit there and think "Wow! Brian must have won 'Wait, Wait.'"

by Anonymousreply 11301/12/2011

Terry Gross' voice isn't bad, but the inane giggles and inappropriately placed laughing make her one of the worst interviewers on radio.%0D %0D Today, after listening to a somewhat somber audio clip from a film, she came on with "That's very touching. Ha-ha-ha-ha!" WTF?%0D %0D As always, she tosses in laughs and giggles that make no sense and totally detract from her interviews.

by Anonymousreply 11401/12/2011

Kai Ryssdal is on American Public Media. I love his voice-he sounds so sexy I think.

by Anonymousreply 11501/12/2011

Obviously you are all deaf or don't have Car Talk because the most annoying voices are Click and Clack, The Tappet Brothers. No other names should be listed or mentioned while these two still have larynges.

by Anonymousreply 11601/12/2011

[quote]Lise Doucet OWNS this thread.%0D %0D Bite. Your. Tongue! Lyse Doucet of the BBC World Service is a peerless journalist and, yes, has the most kick-ass New Brunswick accent.

by Anonymousreply 11701/12/2011

Cheekster has a point...I can't believe I didn't even think of them.

by Anonymousreply 11801/12/2011

I hate steve inskeep - he hardly hides his disdain for Obama and treats neocon guests with kid gloves. And his voice sucks.

by Anonymousreply 11901/12/2011

Guys, I mentioned the Car Talk boys many posts ago.

by Anonymousreply 12001/12/2011

[quote]Kai Ryssdal

Yeah, somewhat fuckable. See link.

by Anonymousreply 12101/12/2011

My favorite voice is Mark Garber..or he just on the local NPR station in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 12201/12/2011

Corey has the best voice around. The one that is the most annoying is the guy that comes on and says...%0D %0D brought to you by blabla...DOT COMMM. and adittional funding by bla...DOT COMMMMMMM.%0D %0D Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 12301/12/2011

[quote]The one that is the most annoying is the guy that comes on and says... brought to you by blabla...DOT COMMM. and adittional funding by bla...DOT COMMMMMMM.

That's Frank Tavares, Funding Credits Announcer.

by Anonymousreply 12501/13/2011

The woman with the British accent who does the credits on "On The Media" sounds like she's straining at stool. The hosts are American, why do they need a Brit for the last 30 seconds?

by Anonymousreply 12601/13/2011

The Brit is one of the producers, R126. I forgot her name. Saves them having to hire on-air talent.%0D %0D hud, I love Mark Garber's voice, too. It's quintessential NY but not annoying. it's soothing.%0D %0D I had a nightmare last night with a voice-over by Ophebia Quist-Arckten.

by Anonymousreply 12701/14/2011

I can barely listen to Robert SEAgull's snide-sounding voice. I usually turn down the volume so I can't hear him.

MEE-shell Norris asks the most inane questions but her voice isn't all that bad.

I agree about Terri Gross and that silly giggle of hers. She's much too old for that.

The guys on Car Talk set out to be mechanics, not radio announcers. I can cut them some slack.

Tavis Smiley's odd accent bothered me until I got used to it watching him on PBS. I love the way he laughs, throwing his entire body into it, and I can forgive him nearly anything because of it.

by Anonymousreply 12801/16/2011

[quote]I hope Sandra Tsing-Loh is affected by the polar shift and falls dead in a field.

I haven't heard her on NPR, but she is one funny writer. I loved [italic]Depth Takes a Holiday[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 12901/16/2011

Right you are, 94, Sylvia Poggoli's hometown in Worcester, Massachusetts.

by Anonymousreply 13001/16/2011

I heard Mark Garber yesterday afternoon doing the news. Must be a fill-in, not on the WNYC site as a staffer.

by Anonymousreply 13101/16/2011

[quote]I agree about Terri Gross and that silly giggle of hers.%0D %0D It's not just the giggle that's annoying, it's the fact that she giggles when there's nothing funny. It's a nervous habit that she needs to work on. It really detracts from her interviews. %0D %0D If she's not sure how a guest will react to her question, she tosses in a few giggles. %0D %0D "Were you upset (giggle) when you found your son had murdered (giggle) his cousin over a (giggle) ice cream cone?"

by Anonymousreply 13201/16/2011

The way Terry burrowed her way up Jon Stewart's ass when he was on her show was revolting.

by Anonymousreply 13301/16/2011

I agree, R132. My mother and her cronies all resort to coyness in order to come across as deferential. I suppose it must be a sort of social adaptation on the part of older women.

I don't expect that behavior from a woman with the ambition and drive to achieve Gross' status. It can't possibly take the sting out of a hard question, but she must think it somehow protects her from her interviewee's wrath.

I wish I could reach into the radio and slap her silly every time she giggles.

by Anonymousreply 13401/16/2011

Hey, I started this thread, years ago, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 13501/16/2011

And the voices continue to annoy.

Even as NPR goes more right wing to curry federal funds.

by Anonymousreply 13601/17/2011

Yeah, R137. Unlike Fox and all three of my local network affiliates, all of whom are owned by right-wingers.

by Anonymousreply 13801/20/2011

Terry Gross is Queen of "Uptalk."

by Anonymousreply 13901/20/2011

Hehehe r139

by Anonymousreply 14101/20/2011

grating is robert shiegel's "shtiriesh and newsh"...sheesh%0D %0D but torture is neda ulaby's every-growing affectation%0D %0D not to mention alix spiegel's creaky voice...bleh%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 14201/26/2011

There are a couple of young women reporters with major creaky voices....incredibly annoying, how did they get jobs in radio? Nothing against having young women report, just use ones that sound like women, not baby girls

by Anonymousreply 14302/10/2011

It's impossible for Renee Montagne to ask a question without whining. Impossible.

by Anonymousreply 14402/13/2011

Ira Glass and the affected, faux gayvoice.

by Anonymousreply 14603/09/2011

Completely concur, R146. I throw things at the radio when I hear Ira Glass.

by Anonymousreply 14703/09/2011

Diane Ream

by Anonymousreply 14803/09/2011

I fucking love Ira Glass! Everytime he says pwedge dwive, I cum.

by Anonymousreply 14903/09/2011

There's no way in hell I could've missed this thread so I probably already responded. However, just in case:

Lynne Rosetto Kasper

Ari Shapiro

Renee Montagne

I temporarily switch to C-SPAN radio or the classical music station whenever any of them are talking for extended periods of time. One would think that a radio network would go out of their way to hire people with decent voices. Kasper, Shapiro, and Montagne sound like nails on a chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 15003/09/2011

r143, it's not how you sound or what you know, it's who you blow at NPR.

by Anonymousreply 15203/10/2011

NPR wants us to think they're are so concerned with diversty names must be pronounced in their original language, but only when the language is Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 15303/10/2011

LMAO @R153!

Have any other NPR listeners noticed that every now and then, the hosts of either "Morning Edition" or "All Things Considered" will slip up and call Lourdes Garcia-Navarro "Lulu?"

The nickname is pure trash, yet everyone turns into Penelope Cruz when introducing a story by LGN.

by Anonymousreply 15403/10/2011

[quote]Ira Glass and the affected, faux gayvoice.

This American Life isn't NPR, it's PRI.

There's also APM, which produces Marketplace and A Prairie Home Companion. Also not NPR.

by Anonymousreply 15503/10/2011

Would you shut the fuck up, R155? Marketplace, A Prairie Home Companion, This American Life...they all air on what network? Who gives a shit that they're produced by Public Radio International or American Public Media. What word do they both have in common with NPR?

by Anonymousreply 15603/10/2011

[quote]Would you shut the fuck up, [R155]? Marketplace, A Prairie Home Companion, This American Life...they all air on what network?

NPR isn't a network. It's a producer and syndicator of programming, as are PRI and APM. Public radio stations aren't affiliates of some network called "NPR".

by Anonymousreply 15703/10/2011

[quote]NPR isn't a network. It's a producer and syndicator of programming, as are PRI and APM. Public radio stations aren't affiliates of some network called "NPR".%0D %0D %0D And Scott facial tissues aren't Kleenex but the immediate world still calls them kleenex.

by Anonymousreply 15803/10/2011

R157, I feel your pain.

I work at a station where most of our listeners just think we're NPR, despite carrying PRI, BBC, CBC, and APM programs AND 30 YEARS of saying our call letters every top of the hour, and @:19, :29, :39, and :49.

by Anonymousreply 15903/11/2011

I'd hate to be Zorba Paster's wife: having to listen to that voice, share dresses, etc. ;>)

But the worst, in my book, is Dianne Rehm. She needs to retire. Her voice is so tedious and sounds so pedantic. I know she has had a medical problem, but when you can't do your job, you need to do something else (produce, teach, etc).

by Anonymousreply 16003/12/2011

Why is that every time someone posts an NPR thread some person replies with the fact that "he/she is on PRI or APM" -- it's all NPR to me cuz where I live they carry content from all three providers on the same station.

by Anonymousreply 16103/12/2011

I love Marco Werman's voice. The one I can't stand is Joanne Silburner...GRATES!!!

by Anonymousreply 16203/12/2011

[quote]Ya can't beat those two Cah Tawk brothas%0D %0D %0D %0D R72 isn't quite sure if the Car Talk guys are from Boston or New York.%0D %0D Dude, they are from Boston and it's "CAH TOCK" (not tawk---that's NY)

by Anonymousreply 16303/12/2011

Zorba Paster has the gayest voice in radio. And then he tosses in all kinds of squeals and screeches.

by Anonymousreply 16403/12/2011

R154, yes, I believe I heard Robert Siegel call Lourdes Garcia-Navarro "Lulu" when she was reporting from Egypt last month. Cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 16503/12/2011

Terri Gross and her constant inappropriate laugh.

by Anonymousreply 16603/12/2011

[quote]Why is that every time someone posts an NPR thread some person replies with the fact that "he/she is on PRI or APM"

Because every time someone posts an NPR thread, people reply with names of on-air talent who aren't on NPR.

For one thing, it's important to emphasize the distinction for fundraising purposes. Thinking of all public radio as "NPR" does not benefit PRI.

by Anonymousreply 16703/13/2011

APM, APR, NPR, and PRI are Program Syndicators.%0D When you make a donation it's to a local station.%0D Your station buys programming from the above-mentioned, who do not own any stations.

by Anonymousreply 16803/13/2011

The answer is still Sandra Tsung-Loh.

by Anonymousreply 16903/13/2011

Since I'm unemployed and don't have $18 to cough up on anything that isn't beer or reefer, posting this here.

None of these, not even Joanne Silburner, is as bad as Tamron Hall pronouncing Ts as Ds!!! Makes me want to go on a dang killing spree.

by Anonymousreply 17003/17/2011

Yet during the pledge drive they refer to themselves as an "NPR station" even though they may carry programing from other organizations.

I know that if my local station (WLRN) stopped referring to themselves as an NPR station I would too.

But R157 seems much more concerned about making this distinction than the stations are.

by Anonymousreply 17103/17/2011

Jonathan Schwartz hands down. The pauses, the ethnic air, god I hate that voice

by Anonymousreply 17203/17/2011

Jonathan is on WNYC New York playing Adult Standards. He's the son of songwriter Arthur Schwartz and married to Zohra Lampert.

by Anonymousreply 17303/17/2011

"Car Talk" came on while I was busy on a project so I didn't turn it off right away. Some woman called in about having to get brake jobs twice a year on her cars. This is her history with seven different cars. Unreal!

by Anonymousreply 17403/20/2011

Garrison Keiller and it's not even close. He's sometimes tolerable on Prairie Home Companion, but every time I hear to his non-Prairie Home Companion show I almost puke. Something about his voice makes my skin feel like it's going to jump off my body and into a vat of acid.

by Anonymousreply 17503/20/2011

Garrison Keiller switches his voice around. When he wants to put something across as intimate, he goes into a gasping affectation like Capt. Merril Stubing. It's really annoying. He often does it when reading poetry.

by Anonymousreply 17603/20/2011

SYL-vya poh-CZHO-li. Excellent reportage, but it annoys me that she has a normal American accent until she gives her byline, and then it's this thick Mamma-mia-pizza-pie-fake ass sounding Italian accent.

SNL did a parody of this phenomenon years back with Jimmy Smits. It doesn't happen as much on TV news anymore, but it's still rampant on radio.

by Anonymousreply 17703/20/2011

Keillor sounds like he just finished running a 10K while pulling an iron lung behind him. His breathlessness is distressing to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 17803/20/2011

Don't know if anyone heard Ann Taylor reading the news the other morning. The topic was celebrities who had made insensitive remarks about Japan.

She actually said, "Fiddy Cent." You go, Ann.

by Anonymousreply 17903/20/2011

Terri Gross doesn't have an annoying speaking voice but her interviewing technique can be awful. Some days it's okay but today I had to grab the remote. She kept doing the hesitation-stutter bit on questions where she didn't know how the guest would react. (In a radio or TV interview, never ask a question if you don't already know the answer.)

by Anonymousreply 18003/31/2011

I can't believe there are 300+ posts here and no one has mentioned Eleanor Beardsley and her awful French accent. She'll read her whole story in English, of course, but when she gets to a French word, she'll pronounce it in her terrible third-grade "French accent." Not only is it idiotic and exceedingly grating, but it can't possibly be consistent. Does she call Moscow "Moskva"? Will she call Prague "Praga"? Spare us your pretention and your awful accent. It's not cute. Speak English.

by Anonymousreply 18104/01/2011

The weekend announcer on WESH radio has gay voice for days and that's just the beginning. He needs a speech coach.

by Anonymousreply 18204/11/2011

Neda Ulaby's cadence grinds on my ears.

by Anonymousreply 18305/03/2011

Agreed, R181. Eleanor Beardsley is tres annoying. I think her southern accent annoys me more than the French, though.

And she worked for Strom Thurmond!!

by Anonymousreply 18505/03/2011

Leonard Lopate, hands down. He can't pronounce names (e.g., Susan Sarandon as Susan Sar-un-don and not Sar-Ann-don and my personal favorite, Elvis Cost-ello) and, when a guest gently corrects him, persists.

Diane Rehm is a close second although now I feel miserable for feeling that way in the face of her disease.

by Anonymousreply 18605/04/2011

Always wanted to be a host on public radio but don%E2%80%99t have a name with the international punch of Doualy Xaykaothao, an Ofeibea Quist-Arcton, or even a Daniel Zwerdling? Not to Worry!

by Anonymousreply 18705/06/2011

Week after week, the voices on "This American Life" are horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 18806/08/2011

Earlier, there was a guy on "This American Life" who had a voice that brought tons of life and color to everything he said. It was the best thing they've had in years. %0D %0D Now, at this very minute, the total opposite. Some boring, monotone female. She's so awful that you can't pay attention long enough to even know what her topic is.

by Anonymousreply 18906/11/2011

Michele Norris (oh so sorry, she pronounces her name Meeeeeeee-shell as her father called her) and her uppity, black woman, pretentious voice is unbelievable annoying. She doesn't speak into the microphone so much as the microphone is actually in her mouth where you have to hear her every preplanned, tonal nuance and inflection... And the pauses... oh Jeez, the pauses she does when announcing the program: "this........................ is NPR". She is trying so hard to sound unique that it sounds so fake. She so desparately wants to have a Paul Harvey like catch phrase associated with her. Its not even her real voice - I heard her reporting out on the street and her voice was completely different than what it sounds like in the studio. Her studio voice is deep and richer but out on the street she sounded so nasaly. I've heard some radio people use equipment to modify their voice (make it deeper more robust sounding) and that must be what she is doing.

by Anonymousreply 19007/13/2011

Maureen Corrigan who does book reviews for NPR's "Fresh Air" is awful to listen to. Reading her reviews in the Washington Post, it's clear that she does a good job --- but the way she OVER-enunciates on "Fresh Air" can drive you UP . A . WALL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 19107/14/2011

If I hear Robert Seigel says "Flah-rida" one more time, I'll scream

by Anonymousreply 19207/14/2011

Hadn't noticed this thread in the year it has been running.%0D %0D By pure coincidence it turned up just after cursing Maureen Corrigan and her insipid, school-marmy delivery of the book review segment on FRESH AIR.%0D %0D The show is less interesting when TGross is not reporting. Corrigan is the weakest of the franchises on this show.%0D %0D I stopped listening to Zorba Pastor years ago. The combination of his weird voice and his dumber-than-Ed-McMahon sidekick are too much to bear.%0D

by Anonymousreply 19307/14/2011

Zorba Pastor's shreiks and giggles sound like a drag queen convention. The other day, I did a Google image search to see if he looks as gay as he sounds. I just wasn't prepared for those photos. The Jerry Colonna mustache is unreal.

by Anonymousreply 19407/14/2011

Michele Norris...from reply 190... "you have to hear her every preplanned, tonal nuance and inflection.." Spot on! Glad I'm not the only one annoyed by this. It's fine to have/use a pleasant voice for radio interviews but the obvious narcissistic love she has for her own is nauseating. Makes Terri Gross seem downright humble.

Neda Ulaby? Indescribable...what early robot voices might sound like before they really work out the kinks.

Many many more but I still love NPR & will one day contribute my fair share.

by Anonymousreply 19507/20/2011

Mary Louise Kelly is currently annoying me. She reminds me of Kermit the Frog.

by Anonymousreply 19607/20/2011

Lenny Lopate on WNYC is an pompous ass who thinks he's erudite. I love it when he comments to a guest about something in their life and the guest says Lenny's got the facts wrong. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 19707/20/2011

I love Terry Gross. I think she's one of the best interviewers on radio today. She can make even the most boring person interesting, and she has a way of bringing out a new side of celebrities.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 19807/20/2011

I have never liked NPR period. The whole channel is fucking boring as hell. Don't know why people like it.

by Anonymousreply 19907/21/2011

Fascinating, how we listeners each inject personalities and intentions into the disembodied radio voices. Amazing that no one has mentioned Sarah Vowell . . . just as I was writing that, Bethany McLean came on Marketplace with a little op ed. She's a brilliant researcher and reporter, so why does she think a grown woman sounds good talking in the voice of an 8-year-old girl?

by Anonymousreply 20007/21/2011

I can't believe you people. HANDS DOWN - Kai Ryssdal who does "Marketplace." He sounds like a total freakin' DOUCHE. I have to really grit my teeth just to get through that segment.

by Anonymousreply 20107/21/2011

Holy shit, R201, I really like Kai Ryssdal, too. Seriously, I try to figure out reasons to be in the car so I can hear Marketplace.%0D %0D He does have a total douche vibe to his voice, but it's not obnoxious douche. I don't know, it's just that when I listen to Marketplace, I feel like I'm learning something and actually being entertained at the same time.%0D %0D I mean, really, when that happens, it's NPR at its best, right?

by Anonymousreply 20307/22/2011

Anyone else notice Dianne Rehm's voice has improved significantly in the last four or five months? Perhaps whatever condition she has is abating on its own, or she's getting better treatment for it.

That said, I have always enjoyed her show. She books interesting guests and asks them intelligent and incisive questions.

by Anonymousreply 20407/22/2011

Diane Rehm is using a new technique that involves muscle and breathing exercizes. She has a special coach who works with her via Skype.

by Anonymousreply 20507/22/2011

Tough Diane Rehm is amazing. When she is being "nice" it is so cloying and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 20607/22/2011

Lee Bollinger, president of Columbia University wants to start a new radio network in the style of BBC, NPR, and PBS.

by Anonymousreply 20807/22/2011

Eleanor Beardsley, who reports from France on NPR, sounds like Lily Tomlin's Edith Ann.

by Anonymousreply 20908/06/2011

Peter overby needs to take out his retainer before he speaks. I can't stand listening to him. I picture Peter Billingsly when I hear him talk. %0D Also, Robert Siegel. Shounds like he'sh shuffered a shtroke.

by Anonymousreply 21008/17/2011

Sylvia PO-Jo-Li. She can't wait to show you how well she can speak Italian. We know.. we know..

by Anonymousreply 21108/17/2011

What's become of Lynne Casper-Rosetto? I listened for her show last Sunday night but it never came on?

by Anonymousreply 21208/17/2011

I first thought Garrison was Thurston Howell the worst. I can almost see him breathing down his nose at the non-listening minions. The sound of his nose hair rustling as he gasps and blusters... eww...%0D Lourdes N-G... We know you're latina, babe. Oops, that's 'la-Deeee-na' Light on the 't' We know.

by Anonymousreply 21308/17/2011

Toss Up%0D %0D Robert Siegel - very pursed lips - loves saying "butter" and "twitter"%0D %0D Peter Overby - profound SCHPEECH impediment%0D %0D Diane Rhems (sp) - Sounds like a 90 year old smoker on her deathbed%0D %0D Sylvia Pujoli - Over enunciates - sounds like she's got a mouthful of drool - and is a real Catholic hater

by Anonymousreply 21408/30/2011

Has anyone mentioned Sarah Vowell (sp?) ?

by Anonymousreply 21608/30/2011

r212, a friend was Lynn's English teacher at a high school in New Jersey. Said she was bright and always smiling.

by Anonymousreply 21708/30/2011

Is Seeelvia Poh-Joe-lee really a Catholic hater?

What other stories are there in Italy, besides Mafia busts, Catholic scandals and the trial of American college students?

Seelvia Pojoli must hate traipsing all over the Vatican, trying to get a comment on the latest Vatican or Pope edict.

by Anonymousreply 21808/30/2011

[quote]I really like Kai Ryssdal, too. Seriously, I try to figure out reasons to be in the car so I can hear Marketplace. It's available as a podcast, and thank goodness. It's the best show on US public radio.

by Anonymousreply 21908/30/2011

I would pay for an app that instantly transformed every annoying NPR announcer's voice into Kai Ryssdal's voice.

Introduce it at pledge time, they'd be rich, rich, rich.

by Anonymousreply 22009/04/2011

If Eleanor Beardsley married Peter Overby their demon seed would have the most annoying voice in the history of humankind. Overby sounds like he just swallowed a whole lemon coated in alum. Beardsley is simply freakin' nerve wracking.

by Anonymousreply 22109/05/2011

melissa block I can't listen any more

by Anonymousreply 22209/18/2011

Terry Gross' voice is okay but it's her awful speech patterns and technique. When she's about to ask a difficult question she follows a set pattern:

1. Explain, speaking very fast, the reason for asking the question.

2. Long pause.

3. "Uuuum!"

4. Long pause.

5. Ask the question.

by Anonymousreply 22309/18/2011

NPR touts its "driveway moments," but it also has I want to irrationally-punch-my-radio-until-my-fist-is-bloody moments. Especially when I hear Jackie Lyden's sing-song delivery. For god's sake woman, some serious shit's going down in the world and you make it sound like a Broadway show tune. Runner-up is Kai Ryssdal of Marketplace, so arrogantly flip about everything.

by Anonymousreply 22409/25/2011

Hands down, no question, the hideous robotic woman who does the underwriting announcements for WNYC. Makes me want to throw my radio against the wall. Runners up: Netta Ulaby---very bad. Jackie Lyden--fake, fake, fake. Brooke Gladstone--also fake.

I feel better now.

by Anonymousreply 22509/29/2011

I am so distracted by Dianne Rheim's horrible gravely voice and way too many unnecessary pauses between words, that I can condentrate on whatever it is she is talking about. It is so annoying that I have to change radio stations. Does she do this as a free service? That's the only reason I can think of for having her on radio. To the person that wondered if they would be considered bad if they suggested Dianne Rheim as having an annoying voice, I say, ONLY IF YOU ARE LYING.

by Anonymousreply 22609/30/2011

Eleanor Beardsley sounds just like Holly Hunter to me.

by Anonymousreply 22811/04/2011

I have a feeling Euphebia Quist-Arckton isn't Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 22911/04/2011

R229, have you ever seen a photo of her? Nothing like what I'd expected.

by Anonymousreply 23011/04/2011

Silvia Poggioli reports on Greece as well. She is doing a great job reporting on the debt crisis.

by Anonymousreply 23111/04/2011

by Anonymousreply 23211/06/2011

Ari Shapiro sounds like a fratboy comedian's portrayal of a gay man. His mannerisms are so over-the-top flamboyant that it's hard to take him seriously as the White House correspondent. He should be covering fashion week or reviewing Scissor Sister albums.

by Anonymousreply 23311/06/2011

That political junky guy needs to clear his throat! I can't even listen to him talk.

by Anonymousreply 23411/07/2011

Whenever I hear it on NPR (and I look forward to it I must admit), I picture Cruella De Vil saying, "...Ofeibea Quist Arcton, Dakarrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

by Anonymousreply 23511/22/2011

r225, WNYC's robotic voice belongs to Lorraine Mattox whose primary job is responding to enquiries at Listener Services.

by Anonymousreply 23611/22/2011

Please remove R227.

The line MUST be drawn somewhere.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 23711/22/2011

Eleanor Beardsley's Edith Ann voice when she's reading her news from France is totally different from when she's being interviewed live. Edith Ann arises when Beardsley is reading from a script.

Maureen Corrigan's book reviews sound like she's reading to a group of second grade students. It would be interesting to learn if, like Beardsley, she sounds somewhat normal in a live interview or if she always sounds as if she's reading to children.

by Anonymousreply 23811/22/2011

What's with all the strange names of NPR people? Would they even hire a Mary Smith or Fred Jones? Last night there was a report from Afghanistan by a guy who goes by Quil Lawrence. His real name is David Lawrence. Would "David" not pass their muster?

by Anonymousreply 24011/27/2011

Lynne Rosetto Casper sounds like a schoolmarm.

by Anonymousreply 24212/02/2011

I suspect you're in for a rough ride around here, Bakakaba.

by Anonymousreply 24401/22/2012

I have no idea why, but Lakshmi Singh makes me want to slit my wrists. The tone of her voice is so "Wait until you hear how bad things are out there".

She can be reading the most neutral info and it comes across in such a somber/morose way to me. It makes me want to cash out my 401K and have a last weekend in Vegas before the world goes straight to hell.

I always thought it was just me, but someone else mentioned once that there's something depressingly dramatic about her delivery. I turn NPR off when she comes on. Can't stand it. (I know, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 24501/22/2012

Eleanor Beardsley is pretty bad, but Hannah Jaffe Walt is truly the worst!!

by Anonymousreply 24701/25/2012

NEDA ULABY and her smirky stuffed nose voice. I want to punch her.

GARRISON KEILLOR is also unbearable. Everything about him - his affected, fake old-timey ways. He sounds like he's got a bunch of cotton shoved down his throat and he always insists on singing and it's terrible. His persona + voice = TOTALLY ANNOYING

I also actually hate Marketplace Money's TESS VIGELUND. Why is she always laughing like everything is so hilarious? She does it during every show for the entire show.

Kind of feel bad for him but PETER OVERBY sounds like he's got a bunch of marbles in his mouth.

ELEANOR BEARDSLEY in "paaaaris." Wow, so totally irritating.

by Anonymousreply 24801/26/2012

Have to say Chris Arnold. For some reason his voice makes me cringe.

by Anonymousreply 24902/10/2012

Ira Glass. His voice reeks of UWS pretension.

by Anonymousreply 25002/10/2012

Is that what it is, r250? Whatever causes it, his voice makes it impossible for me to listen to This American Life. Too bad for me, because the ideas for the programs sound interesting, but I can NOT listen to Ira Glass without wanting to punch the next male wearing glasses that I see.

Yes, I vote for Ira Glass as the most annoying NPR voice.

by Anonymousreply 25102/10/2012

I always thought Paula Pusi's voice was a refreshing change from the usual reporter style. Unfortunately they rarely feature her.

by Anonymousreply 25202/10/2012

I'd rather shoot myself in the head than ever have to listen to Kai Ryssdal speak again.

by Anonymousreply 25302/10/2012

Kai Ryssdal has the very definition of rich frat boy voice.

by Anonymousreply 25402/10/2012

Lourdes Garcia-Navarro needs some real lessons on controlling the diaphram when speaking. This woman audibly gulps air in with each breath and it actually whistles. It got to the point where I would just turn the volume down when she came on. How can a major news organization hire people with no apparent control of their breathing. Lulu is lackluster.

by Anonymousreply 25502/10/2012

Maria Hinojosa is the MOST annoying voice/accent/speaker on NPR. The most annoying is when she mixes Spanish (which she pronounces with the Spanish accent) and English....

by Anonymousreply 25602/14/2012

Marc Garber is a terrible voice on WNYW. You can't tell by listening if it's a man or a woman.

by Anonymousreply 25802/16/2012

[quote]Lourdes Garcia-Navarro needs some real lessons on controlling the diaphram when speaking. This woman audibly gulps air in with each breath

Doesn't bother me when considering where she goes to get her news stories. Between Lourdes Garcia-Navarro and Richard Engel, I'm in awe of their ventures into dangerous territory to get the news for us. She gulps air and he's short; doesn't matter. They are amazing journalists.

by Anonymousreply 25902/16/2012

Diane Rehm owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 26002/16/2012

It's so easy to overlook Diane Rehm's voice problem because she can nail a Pubbie to the wall better than any other interviewer. If a Pubbie dances around a question, she'll follow up with, "But you still haven't answered my question," and then she'll ask it again as they sit there squirming under her onslaught.

You would have to be really dense if you can't get beyond her voice to hear the information she demands from Rethuglicunts.

by Anonymousreply 26102/16/2012

I want to bang the hell out of Sotrios Johnson. Voice like smoked honey.

by Anonymousreply 26302/16/2012

I came here via search for " Maria Hinojosa annoying". I absolutely cannot stand her ridiculous Spanish pronunciation . Pick an accent and stick with it !! Stop mixing your American accent with over pronounced Spanish words and names!! Omg it drives me insane . She was talking about Judge Sonia sotamayor the other day and went off pronouncing it all stupid fast and Spanish full douche and I thought she just switched to Spanish entirely during that sentence. Argh stop doing that!!!!!

And meeee shell Norris by name alone us super douche

by Anonymousreply 26402/20/2012

Soterios Johnson is on New York's WNYC, not NPR network shows.

by Anonymousreply 26602/20/2012

Tracy Ullman does a character who makes fun of Hispanic broadcasters that affect an exaggerated Spanish accent whenever they pronounce their names or other Spanish words.

by Anonymousreply 26702/20/2012

I lost any affection and respect I had for Diane Rehm when her biases affected her interviews. Her support of that nutcase and liar Elizabeth Morgan who falsely accused her ex-husband (and eventually both his parents) of child abuse when she couldn't completely take over their daughter's upbringing turned me off to her completely. Rehm was despicable toward the husband in an interview and was stupid enough to buy Morgan's story. Makes me wonder if Halle is using Morgan as her example in her campaign against Gabriel Aubrey. I await new accusations against him suggesting sexual abuse.

In any event, Rehm always had an annoying affect to her voice - her disorder just made her unbearable.

I personally like Silvia Poggioli's accent and voice. I don't find hints of an Italian accent unusual in someone who was raised by Italian immigrant parents who fled the fascists in the 1930s and who has lived in Italy most of her life since college. Pronouncing her name properly in Italian makes sense to me. Poggiolo is an incredible reporter.

If she seems anti-Catholic it is most likely because she has a front row seat to the reality of the Vatican and isn't afraid to call it like it is. In the early 1980s when I was in Rome working with the UN I was a bit taken aback by how very secular the priests and other religious working at the Vatican were. I doubt she'd get much done as a journalist in Rome if she were really anti-Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 26802/20/2012

[all posts by racist shit-stain # 6 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 26902/20/2012

Wasn't Meryl having an affair while she was taking care of John? Not that I don't admire her for being there for him.

by Anonymousreply 27002/20/2012

This thread is da bomb.

by Anonymousreply 27102/20/2012

[quote]She giggled and phrased the question very oddly.

As soon as you hear that stupid giggle, it's clear she's about to ask a bizarro question of a guest - something they may not want to answer.

by Anonymousreply 27202/20/2012

Best looking Antiques Roadshow expert.

by Anonymousreply 27302/20/2012

[quote]Soterios Johnson is on New York's WNYC, not NPR network shows.

Oh honey, don't ever try to explain that around here.

by Anonymousreply 27402/20/2012

The most iritating voice over artist is john hurt. He pops up every where on tv. How come nobody mentioned him. Yes he has a great voice but it has an evil edge to it!! His voice is over the top middle class and menacing.

by Anonymousreply 27502/22/2012

Uhhh, Michael Murray, John Hurt isn't on NPR, is he?

by Anonymousreply 27602/22/2012

Teri Gross gets my vote for the month. She seems to have recently developed another annoying habit where she over-enunciates her 't's -- especially in the word 'wanted'.

And Teri, if you are following these posts, the word 'water' is not pronounced 'warter'!

by Anonymousreply 27702/24/2012

When Lenny Lopate on WNYC promos Michelle Martin, he says mar-TIN. She says MART'in.

by Anonymousreply 27802/24/2012

R269, I thought that exact same thing when I heard the interview.

Who's the reporter that was the basis for Ana Gasteyer's Cinder Calhoun on SNL?

by Anonymousreply 27902/24/2012

The most annoying NPR voice of all time has got to be MEEschel Norris. I can usually suffer through many other annoying voices on NPR, but I WILL turn to a different station whenever MEEschel drops here voice way down low and trys to get all intimate and sappy with that wet, sultry, emotively-overdone thing she does. Imagine my joy the day she announced that she was stepping down from cohost of All Things Considered because of a potential conflict of interest involving her husband and the Obama campaign!

by Anonymousreply 28002/24/2012

If Lorraine Mattox is the one with the tons of spit in her mouth and her bizarre pronunciation of the letter W (duh-BUL-you) then she is the worst announcer currently employed. Like most people at NPR/WNYC -- she's probably a patronage hire.

by Anonymousreply 28102/25/2012

Jesus FUCKING Christ!!!

by Anonymousreply 28202/29/2012

Terry Gross is off this week so it's good to hear Dave Davies doing the Fresh Air interviews. No silly giggles; just hard-hitting questions.

by Anonymousreply 28303/02/2012

I posted over at year ago at R68: to me it's still Shay Stevens, the newsreader on duty when I get up at 4am Central. Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 28403/02/2012

Nora Raum and her wheezy asthmatic breathing. Please give her a desk job.

by Anonymousreply 28503/03/2012

Can't stand every hour when T. Gross announces every affiliate station from philly to Jersey. drives me crazy. rush to shut it up.

by Anonymousreply 28603/07/2012

Sadly, for me, it's a woman who does a very good job: Brooke Gladstone. Gawd! That doughy, squeaky voice! Dreadful!

Close runner-up: The Splendid Table lady. Her voice has a breathy fatness that unnerves me.

by Anonymousreply 28703/10/2012

Ari Shapiro sounds like the gay male version of Fran Drescher. Like nails on a chalkboard...

by Anonymousreply 28803/10/2012

Terry Dense Dummy Gross

by Anonymousreply 28903/10/2012

The most annoying NPR voice/personality is the Albany broadcaster Alan Chartock he's like nails on a chalkboard

by Anonymousreply 29003/10/2012

#287, A in NYC: Brilliant word choice to describe the unctuous, self-congratulatory pronouncements of Lynn Rosetto Casper (Splendid Table Lady)-- "breathy fatness." EXACTLY. Usually I have to change the station. One of the most annoying voices I have ever heard. I LOVE this thread. (BTW, this is my first ever post on DL. I just had to salute you for your genius.)

by Anonymousreply 29103/11/2012

NEDA ULABY!!!! Her voice is SO AFFECTED that it nearly causes me to drive off the road. I cannot do impressions and I can do her perfectly. "Neda Ullaby" (downnote) She is AWFUL. Next worst offenders: Peter Overby (PLEASE TAKE THE COTTON OUT OF YOUR MOUTH AFTER THE DENTIST) and Ira Glass (PLEASE LEARN TO PRONOUNCE YOUR L's). Why does NPR make it a point to hire people with serious speech impediments? I'm all for people being gainfully employed, but really, do these people need to be on the radio??

by Anonymousreply 29303/13/2012

Gotta be Limbaugh hands down.

by Anonymousreply 29403/14/2012

Why is it that NPR's announcer and so many male guests sound as if they're real gay?

by Anonymousreply 29503/28/2012

Thatiriuth Johnthon.

by Anonymousreply 29603/28/2012

Whereas Silvia Poggioli has a wonderfully confusing vocal range and timbre.

by Anonymousreply 29703/29/2012

Silvia Poggioli sounds like she has been smoking 3 packs a day for the last 50 years!

by Anonymousreply 29804/12/2012

Thanks to you all for echoing so many of my sentiments about our purported radio "stars."

The following folks are NOT NPR, but I can't start a thread and must vent somewhere. They are ALL on NY Public Radio (WNYC/WQXR):

Nimet Habachy = pretentious faux European voice that once in a while slips so you can hear how she really sounds. Frequently mispronounces composer and composition names, and digs her hole deeper as she pretentiously tries to cover her tracks.

Naomi Lewin = plays the kazoo through her nose and then adds molasses.

Charles Isherwood (morning cohost and NYT theater critic) = intense gayvoice like the cheshire cat who swallowed the canary.

Bill McGlaughlin = claims his accent is Philadelphian and Scottish, but is something else altogether and awfully dreadful.

Oh and then there's DN!'s Amy Goodman with her creaky voice. Is that a lesbian accent or just what Noam Chomsky fans do to pledge their allegiance? He's the high priest of creaky.

by Anonymousreply 29904/12/2012

What about Kai Fucking Risdahl...can anyone else in the universe capture smugness like this guys voice does. It's like a cross between Keith Olberman's douchey self righteousness and Alex Trebek's aloof mockery of mere mortals (I'm sorry plebe the language we were looking for is, "what is Gujerati") with just a hint of California surfer dude thrown in to disguise how long this guy practiced this obviously effected voice. Jesus, this guy could make Ghandi want to take a swipe at him. If I could I'd reach through the radio and choke the ...I'm so cool, look at me tone, right out of his voice.

by Anonymousreply 30004/13/2012

"Oh and then there's DN!'s Amy Goodman with her creaky voice. Is that a lesbian accent or just what Noam Chomsky fans do to pledge their allegiance? He's the high priest of creaky."

by Anonymousreply 30104/13/2012

Ira Glass has the most boring voice on the radio. Worse, all his guests sound boring. They could be talking about things that are fun, interesting, exciting, but they just drone on and on and on. You get the impression that Ira phones them at 3 a.m. and wakes them from a sound sleep so they don't have the energy to get enthused about their topic.

by Anonymousreply 30204/13/2012

Oh my, there are so many. I wrote down the number of how many hosts either had speech impediments or horrible stammering problems. I stopped counting at 10. Of all the hosts, believe it or not, Diane Rehm, although obvious that she has a speech issue, is the best host and the only one I can listen to without throwing my headphones off. She asks specific questions, she lets her guests talk without constantly rudely interrupting them (Tom Ashbrook), She doesn't have seizures of stammering "Ummm, ahh, this, this this this, um, um... (Neal Conan) and is prepared and doesn't ask stupid questions (again, Neal Conan, Ira Flato). Peter Overby sounds like a cartoon character on South Park. He is simply awful and should be writing only.

by Anonymousreply 30304/14/2012

"Echoes" with John Diliberto -- Could there be a duller host? His taste in the sounds he plays is awful, too.

I agree with R303 about Diane Rehm. She really does her homework before she interviews anyone. And when a guest starts giving double-talk, she'll tell them, "You didn't answer my question," and then she'll put the question to them again.

by Anonymousreply 30404/14/2012

Oh yeah - and Zowie Chase! Where the heck is she from because I absolutely HATE her accent. She sounds like a 15 year old Emo Oregon granola head.

by Anonymousreply 30504/15/2012

Right on, R299, about Naomi Lewin. I am an ex-WQXR listener because of that kazoo.

by Anonymousreply 30604/15/2012

Neal Conan sounds so fucking condescending. I want to smash his face in with a shovel.

by Anonymousreply 30704/16/2012

I noticed during Meryl's interview that Terri projects a lot. I don't recall the question but it started with "I assume you . . ." and Meryl responded like, uh, no.

by Anonymousreply 30804/16/2012

I think Kai sounds good; intelligent and pleasant.

Totally agree on Neda Ulaby and Ira Glass though. The Ira Glass affectations have become kind of standards for public radio wannabees; I keep hearing more of those singsongy tonal changes mixed in with speeding up certain cadences. I think maybe someone told him his sound was too flat but now he overcompensates.

by Anonymousreply 30904/16/2012

1. That lisping announcer who comes on no less than 4 times per hour with "Support for Enn Pee Arrrrrr comes frommmmm..." and then "daht-caahhhm" this and "daht-caahhhm" that... Ouch!!

2. David Dye and his "coming up on the World Cah-Fah" - I remember this pretentious doof when he did commercial radio in Philly during the 70's - He's only gotten worse.

by Anonymousreply 31004/18/2012

Steve Inskeep bursting out with that fake Krusty-the-Clown belly-laugh at anything his interviewee says that's supposed to be even remotely humorous (or not). Wanna smack'im.

by Anonymousreply 31104/19/2012

[quote]Nora Raum and her wheezy asthmatic breathing. Please give her a desk job.

Nora Raum is a lawyer in the D.C. area and does the NPR news summaries as a part-time fun gig. No joke.

by Anonymousreply 31204/19/2012

Peter Overby sounds like he has food in his mouth, or dentures. Jonathan Schwartz is the most maddening voice/personality on radio (he smacks his chops all the time, loves the sound of his apparently 'smoky 'voice, which is just affected, and he can't stop reminding us he played baseball, and therefore he's not gay even though he plays music that appeals to gays). Finally, Kai Risdall needs a director—I read a review of him once that referred to him as a charming nerd. He's just annoying and unfunny and, what makes it often unbearable, thinks he's clever. Can't they train these people? Please note: Diane Reihm (sp) gets a pass; she had an illness that made her voice that way. Google her to see how beautiful she actually is. Shocking. Oh, and also, I love that Terri Gross stutters and trips over vowels (vowels!). She's such a flawless interviewer that she, too, gets a pass. Okay, enough of all this, time to get my culture.

by Anonymousreply 31304/19/2012

A week or so ago Terry Gross interviewed a director of a Spanish language film. One of the lead characters is named Estrella.

She pronounced it Es-srteLL-a instead of Es-STRAY-a. The director corrected her.

She's an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 31404/19/2012

WQXR's Nimet Habachy, born in Egypt 70 years ago, is a professional foreigner. Purposefully won't let go of the British accent.

by Anonymousreply 31504/19/2012

Sorry, didn't make clear in my previous attempt to post that I was talking about the sponsorship announcer on WNYC. I don't THINK I'm imagining that she's been replaced.

by Anonymousreply 31604/28/2012

People like R302 and R314 don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 31704/28/2012

It is I, R316, again. Apparently my first post never made it to the posting stage. Oops.

My comment was that the WNYC sponsorship announcer so almost-universally reviled seems to have been replaced recently by a woman who can pronounce the word 'diverse' correctly. Among other things. I don't THINK I'm imagining it.

by Anonymousreply 31804/28/2012

People like R117 are unable to contribute anything on the topic so they post nonsense just to bump the thread.

They need to stick a pin in Ira Glass to wake him up.

by Anonymousreply 31904/28/2012

Oops! That should have been R317, not 117.

by Anonymousreply 32004/28/2012

Carl dry-mouth Cassell

by Anonymousreply 32104/30/2012

Eleanor Beardsley. Is she getting worse, or is it just me? I mute the volume whenever she comes on. Her voice grates like an annoying schoolyard know-it-all. Why can't they just speak normally? Someone should do a remix on NPR's unnecessary vocal affectations.

by Anonymousreply 32205/07/2012

r316, Lorraine Mattox is the voice at WNYC who says DI-verse and PEE-uh-nist. Her real job is working in Listener Services. Also glad to her a new voice. The announcements would have more impact if they rotated a male and female voice for the each underwriter's name.

by Anonymousreply 32305/07/2012

Oh God, I hated Carl Cassell. You could just tell he was a pompous ass.

by Anonymousreply 32505/09/2012

Along with DI-verse, Lorraine Mattow says puh-JAM-uh in the PajamaGram acknowledgement.

by Anonymousreply 32605/09/2012

This is like asking which is the most annoying mosquito in a swamp. They're all extraordinarily smug and condescending. If I had to pick one it would have to be the guy with the juvenile sounding voice who does (did?) that "This American Life" show. He just seemed to evoke this sense that he thought he was 'cute' or something. I'd like to pour maple syrup on his head.

by Anonymousreply 32705/14/2012

That's Ira Glass, R327. Awful delivery.

by Anonymousreply 32805/15/2012

Ofiebia Quist-Arkton ..........

..... DAKAR!!!

by Anonymousreply 32905/15/2012

Whew. I'm not the only one annoyed by Ari Shapiro. He needs to drop that bitchy queen act if he wants to be considered a serious journalist. He's like the gay BFF in some angsty Lena Dunham style dramedy.

by Anonymousreply 33105/17/2012

Ryan Warner is a reporter in Denver. He's so fucking smarmy, kind of like a Neal Conan wannabe.

by Anonymousreply 33205/18/2012

This thread is utterly hilarious. And to think it sprung from my Most Annoying Names on NPR thread.

by Anonymousreply 33305/18/2012

How come these radio personalities don't work on their voices? There's so much that they could do to improve their voice. They wouldn't even necessarily have to see a voice coach.

by Anonymousreply 33405/18/2012

The Orlando, FL NPR station features a guy with a gay whine. Dub-ul-YEW WEM ef EEEeeeee! He really needs a vocal coach.

by Anonymousreply 33505/18/2012

Maureen Corrigan doing book reviews on Terry Gross' show. She sounds like a kindergarten teacher attempting to drum information into 5-year-old children.

by Anonymousreply 33605/22/2012

Umm...hello?? Lak. Shmee. Sing.

by Anonymousreply 33705/24/2012

Best radio voice by far on Public Radio - Matt Elmore (5-2 PCT)on KQED-FM. You almost feel like you are sitting on the front porch having a cold one with him... and I am from NYC!

by Anonymousreply 33805/24/2012

One more thing I just noticed about Ryan Goddamn Warner. He projects all over the place. I just endured an interview where nearly every statement he made was prefaced with "I imagine" or "I would think" or something equally as self involved.

by Anonymousreply 33905/24/2012

And who the FUCK is the BBC anchor? Every time he finishes a sentence he inhales through his nose while he opens his mouth at the same time. So fucking supercilious.

by Anonymousreply 34005/24/2012

Nothing like wanting to throw my radio across the room when I hear Renee Montagne's voice. Surprised she wasn't mentioned more often, but maybe it's me.... Now that Davide Greene has joined the a.m. team, that gives her less air time. Praises be!

She greets guests with a confrontational aggressive "Hello!!!" and sometimes remembers to thank them after she's heard enough. No closure on her interviews. Steve Inskeep's laugh is genuine to me and I like his half of the hour humorous additions to the odd story that airs then, and both he and David Green are so much more soothing to wake up to than the shrill Renee. Enough said.

OK one more person - I forge into dangerous waters when I mention Saint Liane, who drove me crazy during the puzzle by her "Oh!" hint to the poor player that she knew the answer and the poor struggling soul was all the more pressured. And often she would just jump in and answer. Another cause for throwing the radio. Basta! (Sylvia would be proud)

by Anonymousreply 34105/26/2012

I like Kai Ryssdal's voice on APM's Marketplace. He sounds so confident and totally on top of everything. Keeps everything moving with no dull spots.

by Anonymousreply 34205/26/2012

This is a tough one.

Neda Ulaby: pretentious, self-important, can't pronounce the words "the" or "a" like normal people do. When she reviewed "Precious" I thought "The perfect assignment"!

Terri Gross: What's up with the "great interviewer" stuff? Inarticulate, weird giggles when addressing an uncomfortable topic, can't utter a sentence without like, using "like" or "just like" like in nearly like every sentence. Pointless "If you're just joining us" instead of a simple "This is Fresh Air. My guest is...". Glad she quit the "I want to thank you a lot for speaking with us" blather. How 'bout a simple "thank you"?

Ira Glass: I'd like to listen to the show, but can't tolerate his insecure, mildly effeminate, full-of-junk-words (i.e. "just", "sorta", "I mean", "kinda", "um" delivery.

Guy Racz: King of junk/teen speak: "Um"..."sorta"..."kinda"..."just"..."I mean"..."really" this and "really" that. Constantly begins sentences with "Now" or a loud "UM". Ends sentences with "um" or "uh", then starts the next with "I mean".

Don't ANY of these people listen to themselves with a critical ear? Doesn't anyone review their work with them with the goal of seeing improvement?

by Anonymousreply 34305/31/2012

R343, maybe their idiosyncracies are ignored by the top brass at NPR because at least they're distinctive voices and there's no question about who you're listening to.

by Anonymousreply 34405/31/2012

Diane Rheim is my hero. She has an illness that makes her voice that way and yet she soldiers on w the best interviews on the airwaves. Terri Gross is also untouchable; I don't care if she stutters (in a manner I've never heard before).

Jonathan Schwartz is a blowhard who loves the sound of his own voice and smacks his chops into the microphone. Loathe him. If his father hadn't been a great composer and he hadn't met all those famous performers he'd be pushing a broom across the stage of the Greenspace.

Peter Overby. Gross.

The woman who announces the lists of underwriters. Unbearable, that fake treacle in her voice. Irony? I turn the radio down or off for 2 minutes whenever her voice comes on, so I actually miss the names of the underwriters. Oops, WNYC, sorta shooting yourself in the foot there, don'tcha think?

Whoever said Car Talk Guys-really?? Love them. Sooooo smart.

Radio Lab-ANNOYING. Who okay'd this format? You can just see Robert C and Jad A rubbing each other's backs over how terribly clever they sound. And they sound ridiculous. Great content, goofy, off-putting format.

Prairie Home Companion? Torture.

Steve Inskeep's laugh? I throw up in my mouth when I hear it.

Love Mark Garber. Love Michele Norris. Though I can see how her 'sweet' voice can annoy. Love Sarah Fishko.

All this said, it is my favorite station ever and I ever turn it off.

by Anonymousreply 34506/02/2012

No matter how annoying they are, they're all better than that BBC radio guy who comes on late at night on weekends. His name sounds like something that appeared in the bottom of a bowl of alphabet soup. His voice sounds like he's attempting to talk five octaves below his real voice. Combined with his African accent and a lisp, it's unreal.

by Anonymousreply 34606/02/2012

Dotun Adebayo is the BBC's awful weekend presenter.

by Anonymousreply 34706/02/2012

Adebayo is featured on the spin-off thread to this one, Most annoying voices on BBC Radio.

Sorry, I'm in the middle of blowing Kai Rysdall now so can't post a link.

by Anonymousreply 34806/02/2012

The CAR TALK guys are retiring in September, thank God.

by Anonymousreply 34906/08/2012

The car talk show will just go into perpetual reruns.

by Anonymousreply 35006/08/2012

Please God Garrison Keillor retires soon.

by Anonymousreply 35106/10/2012

R350, NPR's not allowed to do perpetual reruns. They always have to air new material, hence the guest hosts.

by Anonymousreply 35206/10/2012

[quote]NPR's not allowed to do perpetual reruns. They always have to air new material

The story in the paper said it will be "best of" Car Talk - IOW reruns.

by Anonymousreply 35306/10/2012

R352 - see link. It will be perpetual reruns. They do a good deal of reruns now.

by Anonymousreply 35406/10/2012

Zoe Chase. The worst!!!! Drives me nuts. How in the hell did she get on the radio.

by Anonymousreply 35506/12/2012

Terry Gross interviewed Joan Rivers yesterday. Asked about Joan's joo-LUH-ree.

by Anonymousreply 35606/12/2012

Ira Glass is moving to Chelsea.

by Anonymousreply 35706/12/2012

[quote]Someone should do a remix on NPR's unnecessary vocal affectations.

Start with Eleanor Beardsley and Maureen Corrigan, add in Terry Gross' giggles, followed by Carl Cassell. Why would anyone want Carl Cassell on their voicemail? What kind of prize is that?

by Anonymousreply 35806/16/2012

I love this thread so much.

Whenever Daniel Zwerdling comes on, I reach for the anti- depressants.

by Anonymousreply 35906/17/2012

Thank you, R311. I always feel a little embarrassed for some reason when Steve Inskeep does that over-the-top fake belly laugh.

I've always felt that there's something artificial about his style of interviewing. He just always seems to take things to a very over-the-top level that reminds me of some mediocre actor in local community theater. The grave, somber tones or the riotous laughter just feel a little much.

by Anonymousreply 36006/17/2012

Terry Gross can't pronounce her "S" shound correctly. She getsh all mishy-mouthed and feignsh that "esh". I have to, sadly, turn her off.

Shame thing for Robert Sheigel.

by Anonymousreply 36106/20/2012

John Diliberto bills himself at a music journalist. As the host of Echoes, he's the dullest, most boring deejay on radio.

by Anonymousreply 36206/23/2012

I hate all the reedy voiced you female reporters. Why do they all sound hung over?

by Anonymousreply 36306/23/2012

R332/339 in Denver. It is hard to listen to Ryan Warner, who is just so angst-ridden about every goddamn thing.

But Zachary Barr must be the biggest queen in the universe.

by Anonymousreply 36406/23/2012

Most of the females on NPR are HORRIBLE!! I am of the mindset radio voices should be un-colon spastic.

by Anonymousreply 36506/24/2012

I thought Dr. Zorba a woman for the longest time... anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 36606/24/2012

Dr Z

by Anonymousreply 36706/27/2012

Diane Rehm's problem is medical. Not her fault. She keeps it in check with Botox treatments every few months, but even that doesn't help as much as she would like.

I *adore* Terri Gross's voice.

As far as Dr. Paster, he sounds gay as heck, but he isn't. Poor guy.

I have no Idea why Michelle Norris calls herself "Mee-chelle," nor why Melissa Block calls herself Melissa "Blahhhk."

by Anonymousreply 36807/01/2012

it's crazy. I thought for the longest time that I was the only one who finds the affectations NPR voices annoying.

by Anonymousreply 36907/04/2012

[quote]I have no Idea why Michelle Norris calls herself "Mee-chelle,"

Because it's Michèle, as in French.

by Anonymousreply 37007/04/2012

Neil Nunez of the BBC without a doubt.

by Anonymousreply 37207/14/2012

I'm pretty sure that Peter Overby was the kid that voiced Linus on Charlie Brown back in the 60's.

by Anonymousreply 37307/25/2012

Krista Tippett's voice is okay, but she can't stop making noises when a guest is speaking - Ummmmm, hmmmmm, uhhhhhhhh, Oooooooooooo, Nnnnn, um, ... Somebody needs to slap her.

by Anonymousreply 37407/27/2012

Sandra Tsing-Loh is still and forever will be the winner of this contest. Someone should steal her vocal cords.

by Anonymousreply 37507/27/2012

I love this thread.

by Anonymousreply 37607/29/2012

Lourdes Garcia Navarro (who suddenly develops the accent of a Chihuahuan peasant girl whenever she says her name)

Peter Overby (who always seems like he's on the verge of saying, "Sufferin' succotash!")

Sylvia Pioggoli (I picture her watching The Bold and the Beautiful in a size 22 Versace track suit while phoning in a report written by an assistant)

Ari Shapiro (NPR's token gay would have to be vapid and flaming. He sounds like a homophobic comedian's over-the-top characterization of a gay man)

by Anonymousreply 37707/29/2012

It's always nice when Susan Stamberg fills in for someone with an annoying voice. She has a great voice and a sparkling personality.

by Anonymousreply 37808/04/2012

Peter Overby sounds like the girl who turned in Dawn Davenport for eating a meatball sandwich in class and passing notes.

by Anonymousreply 37908/04/2012

IRA GLASS- I cannot listen to "This American Life" because I find his tone and cadence so annoying! I also really dislike this guy who contributes to the Marketplace Morning reports, he sounds like he has marbles in his mouth and it drives me crazy!

by Anonymousreply 38008/05/2012

Read the whole thread, fantastic! Got here googling "peter oveby gay". I love steve inskeep's laugh but don't buy the surname? Love signoff, "DAKAA", PAAAARIS. How did deep south end up in Paris? Traveling grit and fat-back sales? The sound of Overby manipulating his disgusting little tounge around all those wet anal beads just gives me a huge stiffen.

by Anonymousreply 38108/06/2012

[quote]Lourdes Garcia Navarro (who suddenly develops the accent of a Chihuahuan peasant girl whenever she says her name)

I like her. She always seems to be right on top of the story when being interviewed from Washington. She never hesitates with a "That's a good question." She's always prepared with a reply and jumps right in with presenting the facts.

Ira Glass - the epitome of dull. He has the ability to turn an enthusiastic guest into a dull, boring person. The same person, on another show can be fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 38208/06/2012

elenore bearsley - obviously southern and whiney. Her voice makes me turn off my radio.

by Anonymousreply 38408/12/2012

Zoooooey Cheeeees - EN PEE ARRR Noose. She's the absolute worst.

Eleanor Beardsley. Is she trying to sound bored?

Steve Inskeep. The way his voice GOES. UP. in the MIDDLE. OF. A. SENTENCE. and slows down.

Ira Glass. Get that fixed, man! You're on the radio for Pete's sake!

David Greene, what are you so happy about all the time? Not really a problem I guess.

Chris Arnold never sounds like he's sure of what he's telling me.

British reporters whose voices get louder at the end of a SENTEEEEENCE!

by Anonymousreply 38508/16/2012

[quote]David Greene, what are you so happy about all the time? Not really a problem I guess.

I adore David Greene. He's upbeat, seems to enjoy his job, always is sure of his facts, and knows how to present them. You feel you can rely on his word the way our parents and grandparents relied on Walter Cronkite.

by Anonymousreply 38608/16/2012

Neda Ulaby's cadence is grating, esp the way she ends nearly every sentence. When she speaks naturally -- ie not reporting -- it's better. {Neda -- have you thought about a voice coach?}

by Anonymousreply 38708/17/2012

How about Mike Peska?

by Anonymousreply 38808/26/2012

Regardless of the show's content, the worst voice on NPR has to be Diane Rehm's. Radio voices are supposed to have a certain timber and interest. The only time I consistently turn off my NPR station during the day is when The Diane Rehm Show is broadcast. Conversely, anyone lucky enough to be able to hear Washington, DC's NPR affiliate, WAMU, can hear the best voice on the air -- Kojo Nnamdi. Now that's a voice you want to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 38908/27/2012

To all you critics: My it's so easy to slam someone, but let's hear you do a better job, or could you suggest someone better? Larry the Cable Guy? S'pose that'd be worth a listen...

by Anonymousreply 39008/27/2012

Anyone who thinks that Zoe Chace (I think shes great)has the most annoying voice on NPR has not listened to Daine Rehm.

by Anonymousreply 39209/21/2012

Diane Rehm has a good excuse for the sound of her voice. It changes for awhile following treatments for the condition. Most important is the fact that she asks the questions we would ask and she doesn't let the guests beat around the bush. She'll come right out and say, "You didn't answer my question," and then she'll repeat the question. She's one of the toughest interviewers in the business.

by Anonymousreply 39309/23/2012

Honey Boo Boo Chile will be sitting in for Terry Gross this week. I can not wait.

by Anonymousreply 39409/23/2012

Eleanor Beardsley, Hannah Jaffe Walt, Zoe Chace....horrible, annoying, grating voices. How did they get on the radio?

by Anonymousreply 39509/28/2012

r391, public radio knows where their bread is buttered. Based on last names Jewish listeners are a high percentage of donors.

by Anonymousreply 39609/28/2012

NEAL CONAN. OH. MY. GOD. He, he, he, cccccan't sp-sp-sp-it out the ef-ef-ef-efin' w-wo-words!!!! Have fun one day and count the number of "ah" "ah" "ahs" and Ums he injects in EVERY SENTENCE, Even normal, simple ones. And his interview questions just suck. Unbelievable this guy has his own show.

by Anonymousreply 39710/02/2012

Zoe Chace. Hands down! It's a shame she took to economics. She would have been a great sportscaster.

by Anonymousreply 39810/10/2012

Kai Ryssdal's slow/fast cadence bugs me, and his words are even more annoying: pompous verbosity with a layer of fake familiarity. "So glad that you could join us on this Tuesday ... Coming up, we'll take a look at the question, what's one plus uno ... when we do the numbers"... Sorry, Mr. Ryssdal, we're not pals. You are the announcer and I'm a listener.

Neda Ulaby for her vocal fry and excessive intonation. She sounds like she has a shit-eating grin, nonstop.

Our NPR station replaced Tom Ashbrook with Diane Rehm, recently. They displaced a sonorous voice with a painful one, but the topics covered are just as interesting, and Diane is probably the tougher interviewer.

My favorite NPR voice was Noah Adams: the perfect balance of excellent diction, pleasant intonation, and well-timed pauses.

by Anonymousreply 39910/25/2012

Eleanor Beardsley usually sounds like she's totally bored. You get the impression that she was forced to record her report and would rather be elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 40110/27/2012

Zoe Chace is awful. There's not an "R" in any woRRRRRRd that she doesn't slam, bRRRRRRRoaden, and emphasize.

by Anonymousreply 40210/29/2012

I can’t believe more people haven’t said Zoe Chase! I mean based purely on her voice, she sounds like she should be handing out Jaaahnsonville Braaaaaht samples at a Midwestern grocery store. Could you imagine her trying to say something sexy?? *shutter*

by Anonymousreply 40310/29/2012

Melissa Bloch drives me crazy. She sounds like she's so in love with her voice when in fact she's got this grating effect in her throat. And the way she ends her sentences just before a clip with a long "ssssss" sound.

Zoe Chace sounds equally pretentious. She just sounds so pompous as if she's saying, "Listen to my overly affected voice and you can't help but like me."

Ira Glass--unbelievable. His voice had this over-the-top sardonic quality to it when he first started and for some reason people didn't complain enough... and he's still doing the same shtick.

by Anonymousreply 40411/02/2012

Diane Reihms is the WORST VOICE EVER. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 40511/02/2012

Zoe Chase was all over NPR news reporting the NYC storm stories. She's awful.

I like to hear Ofeibea Quist-Arcton covering news from Africa. She has a wonderful voice and is based in West Africa where I worked for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 40611/06/2012

I wonder what O Q-A sounds like when she's having sex.

by Anonymousreply 40711/06/2012

So many, many annoying voices on NPR that I am rarely able to endure an entire program.

My top three: Neal Conan, Guy Raz, Melissa Block. All pretentious, preening jackasses.

by Anonymousreply 40811/07/2012

Zoe Chace, beyond awfulness with her creaky voice.

Neal Conan sounds like the ultimate nerd, very annoying, constantly saying 'ah' between almost every word. "This is Neal ah Conan ah and ah..."

Melissa Block with her fake 'fun''re really going to get a kick out her next story (yeah right)

Eleanor Beardsley has one of the most grating and horrendous voices I have ever heard on or off the radio. Also, she's lucky enough to live in Paris and have a nice job, but she sounds so blasé about it.

Ira Glass--don't get me started! Did you ever notice how he always says "Ac'one" instead of "Act one"?

by Anonymousreply 40911/09/2012

Love this thread! I'm amazed Peter Overby doesn't top everyone's list, though. His voice is quite literally repulsive...does anyone actually listen to his stories? I have to change the station the very instant be comes on. That burbling, gurgling mess actually turns my stomach...I'm talking genuine nausea. And I'm an NPR fan who donates every year!

by Anonymousreply 41011/13/2012

I found Datalounge on Google about 6 months ago via this thread because of my hatred for Zoe Chace's voice and personality. What about all of us who detest her send an email to Planet Money/NPR asking them to consider firing her? I no longer listen to the show because of her. She apparently doesn't even come from the place where people have accents like hers (would have guessed Wisconsin). Apparently this is an affectation she puts on to mask her tri-state roots! Let's get her canned folks. (Don't like Peter Overbite/clicking dentures either but don't hear him as much).

by Anonymousreply 41111/14/2012

Kai Ryssdall! Come on people. He was a late arrival in the thread, but is the worst offender. Sound of the voice is fine, as some point out, but he's such an unbearably flip, smug jackass that it ruins what is otherwise a good show. He embodies most of what is wrong with public radio. Even worse than traditional NPR offenders like (take your pick of all those over enunciating Yankees with perfect Spanish accents on names). So glib, desperately trying for a hip, ironic voice. 'hey Dubner!' you know I'm right.

by Anonymousreply 41211/14/2012

R412, I agree. He sounds like the kind of person who would make your skin crawl as soon as you were introduced at a party and would spend the rest of the night trying to ignore and avoid.

by Anonymousreply 41311/14/2012

Another vote for Eleanor Beardsley. Absolutely awful voice.

by Anonymousreply 41411/24/2012

R400 Most actors and broadcasters study voice to make their voices more resonant and speech to make their diction more clear.

You are born with a specific set of pipes....but you can do a bit with them.

by Anonymousreply 41511/24/2012

I feel too bad for Diane Rehm to mention her.

If anyone listens to PRI's The World, I hate it when Lisa Mullins is the host.

by Anonymousreply 41611/24/2012

R416, speaking of The World, Lisa Mullins is the putative permanent host of that show, but she makes only rare appearances. It's usually the substitute host Marco Werman (who's so hot in person I'll forgive his annoying voice). I wonder why she's out so often.

by Anonymousreply 41711/24/2012

Has anyone mentioned any local NPR voices? I nominate Ellen Rocco from NCPR as the worst evah.

by Anonymousreply 41811/24/2012

Lisa Mullins has breast cancer and is frequently out for treatment.

by Anonymousreply 41911/24/2012

Well, I hate Lisa's voice, but wish her well with treatment.

by Anonymousreply 42011/24/2012

I hate Lisa Mullins' voice too and can't figure out why. (But I'm sorry she's ill.)

by Anonymousreply 42111/25/2012

Linda Werthheimer-- so dry and cold and irritating!When she was sitting in for Rachel Martin, I was in misery!

by Anonymousreply 42211/27/2012

Eleanor Beardsley hands down. Every time I hear her my skin crawls. Her voice is so nasal and whiny, I'm embarrassed to hear her pronounce all those French words.

by Anonymousreply 42312/02/2012

Soterios Johnson has a voice liked smoked honey. LOVE hearing hm in themorning while I'm getting ready to go work and HANDS DOWN one of the best names..........EVAH!

by Anonymousreply 42412/02/2012

Does Ari Shapiro have ovaries and a vagina? Sounds like it.

by Anonymousreply 42512/02/2012

Neta Ulaby and Guy Roz.

by Anonymousreply 42612/04/2012

I can't believe I haven't seen Sandra Tsing Loh after searching two pages of this list. Not only the most annoying NPR voice (which is really saying something), but one of the most annoying voices/people of all time!

by Anonymousreply 42712/06/2012

I'm starting to get really tired of Yuki Noguchi's voice too. She seems to be everywhere, reporting on everything

by Anonymousreply 42812/07/2012

Eleanor Beardsley is so comically bad and weird that I don't mind her after all these years (and when she does live English reports, she sounds like a completely different, and normal, human). God knows what her delayed, recorded French is like. (Shudder) But Scott Simon, who has a rich and warm and kind voice, so perfectly controlled, completely creeps me out with his interviewing techniques and mannerisms, and makes me think of a deeply caring uncle pedophile. Zoe Chace - snot-nosed and horrible, and Neta Ulaby always has that coy little delicious smile on every syllable, it's grotesque. And Kai Ryssdall, who's voice is fine, come across as a total self-satisfied douche. It's hard to separate the voice from the person.

by Anonymousreply 42912/12/2012

Kai Ryssdahl sounds exactly like a frat boy I got good and drunk so I could seduce him. The night before his wedding.

by Anonymousreply 43012/12/2012

Zoe Chace: someone please give her a desk job (and a muzzle)

Scott Simon's mannerisms ARE annoying...the 'kindly caring' voice....ick...

Eleanor Beardsley: she lives in freakin' Paris, and sounds like a bored, self-satisfied hick! Give somebody else a chance at her job (like me!)

by Anonymousreply 43112/12/2012

I found this site by Googling; 'Anyone else think Diane Rheam's voice is too damaged for radio?' I've listened to her for 20+ yrs & as others have commented, I'm sympathetic to her condiction & think she's a great interviewer, but Christ on the Cross, let go Diane!!! Her voice does occassionally sound 'ok' immediately after being off for the air to get voice therapy ~ but on the reverse, the weeks just before those times are unbearable!!!!

While it's not related to 'voice so much' my biggest pet peeve is 'effected' speech!! Like the statement constantly posed in the form of a question !!{Yuck}

Also this tendency to intentionally insert a form of stuttering (?), NPR is lousy with these people but Terry Gross is the WORST at this. She has improved a bit & I often wonder if someone told her, "Look ah, Terry we're getting a lot of complaints from listeners that you're making their fucking ears bleed with this stummbling over your words shit you've been doing. Can you ah, tone it down a little, at least until the end of the pledge drive?" I also can't stand when she says, "In the few seconds we have left................" Then prattles on (with stummbles) taking up the time she just cautioned the guest about.

Something I've also noticed lately (within the last year & not just on NPR); people starting every answer with 'So'. Ex:"Question: "When did you graduate from college?" Answer:"So I graduated in 2010 & began...." Ahhhh this kind of pretentiousness drive me up a wall. Soooo effected & really contrite!!! Thanks for letting me vent - I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one who is irritated by this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 43212/18/2012

[quote]Scott Simon's mannerisms ARE annoying...the 'kindly caring' voice....ick...

His Twitter feed is nauseating as well, all folksy observations about his children. Doesn't help to hear that voice in everything he posts.

by Anonymousreply 43312/18/2012

When the Dr. Zorba character started talking about its "wife", I thought it was an out&proud lesbian. When I listened further and realized this was a man putting on a feminine voice, it is an aggravation. A program called "This American Life" has a host that sounds like a bad Nate Berkus impersonation. And there are just so many on NPR who speak with the same sort of phoney effect. High pitched, nasal, over-enunciated words with accents on syllables that are usually not accented. It seems to me that someone who has a normal voice on ABC like Cokie Roberts will have this phoney voice when she is on NPR. She is from New Orleans, the daughter of Hale and Lindy Boggs, so why is she talking like that on the radio?

by Anonymousreply 43412/18/2012

BTW, I like Dianne Rheam, (or however her name is spelled). The condition which damaged her voice was not of her choice. She has gotten medical treatment where she does sound better now. I never liked Rachel Ray, but her voice is sounding a little better now also. I haven't heard Robert Kennedy, Jr. lately, but I hope they have been able to help him also.

by Anonymousreply 43512/18/2012

Even Rita Cosby appears to have healed her voice somewhat. During her MSNBC days a few years ago, she was unbearable to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 43612/18/2012

R436, they have made some medical advancement in the treatment of voices, and I have a neighbor who was treated and sounds almost normal again now, as well as the radio and TV people mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 43712/18/2012

Terry Um, Um, you know Um Gross. Um Um.

by Anonymousreply 43812/18/2012

Zoe Chace reporting from Newtown! Help!!

by Anonymousreply 43912/18/2012

Julie Rose for me is the worst npr voice. she has that sore throat cheerleader teenage clueless voice. I know npr has to hire young reporters, but can't they learn how to speak without sounding like they need to be home sucking on cough drops?

by Anonymousreply 44012/18/2012

r440: I learned on Datalounge that this kind of vocal mannerism is called "vocal fry." Horribly annoying, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 44112/18/2012

Yes, vocal fry, aka 'creaky voice'.

I totally agree they should have competent young female reporters, but not if they talk this way.

by Anonymousreply 44212/19/2012

Is vocal fry what Zoe Chace does with her strange voice? She's awful.

by Anonymousreply 44312/19/2012

Chace virtually defines 'vocal fry'

by Anonymousreply 44412/19/2012

r439, Bruce Jenner is from Newtown. High school stadium named for him. His sister attended Sandy Hook Elementary.

by Anonymousreply 44512/19/2012

I hate how Melissa Block gives pronounces her last name. The last time I checked, 'Block' was not multisyllabic.

by Anonymousreply 44612/19/2012

LOL I know what you mean R446, she drags out "Block" for a few too many microseconds.

by Anonymousreply 44712/20/2012

And how about Hanna Jaffe-Walt! OMFG that grating, creaky, vocal-fried voice!!! Ice skates on the blackboard!!

by Anonymousreply 44812/20/2012

Best is Shay Stevens at night. Soothing, clear, doesn't distract from the news. Most annoying: Carrie Miller (except to her--she'd rather listen to herself than the person she's interviewing).

by Anonymousreply 44912/22/2012

Neda Ulaby - Wow, there are a lot of annoying voices on NPR (Noah Adams biggest among them - but thankfully he has slowly gone away), but lately I have to change the station when Neda Ulaby reports.

I understand there may be some ethnicity-induced affect going on here, but she seems to be trying so hard to sound important and interesting that it comes off as smarmy, self-important and pretentious. No offense Ms. Ulaby, but I have to wonder if NPR regularly reviews their reporters on the all important aspect of how their employees sound on the radio and what their tone projects. Because if they did, I don't see how they wouldn't yank her from their stable and re-make her vocal delivery.

Great reporting can quickly turn to terrible radio with a voice like hers.

by Anonymousreply 45012/27/2012

I thought Noah Adams had a very soothing voice--the opposite of Zoe Chace, the most offensive voice in all radio.

by Anonymousreply 45112/27/2012

word, R451! :)

by Anonymousreply 45212/27/2012

r453, what station are these people on? Don't sound familiar as NPR Network names.

by Anonymousreply 45412/30/2012

Dear. God. The most abrasive and ANNOYING NPR voice is without a doubt Zoe Chases's. Is it a Minnesota or N. Dakota accent? I can't stand it when she says, "really, really..." when describing something.

Dear God, make it stop.

by Anonymousreply 45501/03/2013

Ooops. I'm sorry, I meant to type "Zoe Chase's." I was trying to type while squeezing my head and ears at the thought of Zoe ... talking.

by Anonymousreply 45601/03/2013

I have to say that I've enjoyed this thread immensely--lol! I've read most of the comments here and agreed with most all the while laughing my head off!

Im not sure just when it was that I decided I could take it no more (Zoe Chase)--probably driving to work one morning--but after much grimacing and a few "dear gods!" I decided if her voice affected me this much, surely there are others out there who must feel the same way. I vowed to look it up online--to find others who, like me, felt assaulted by Ms. Chase's jarring and scratchy man voice.

by Anonymousreply 45701/03/2013

Zoe Chase doesn't just have the worst voice on NPR, she has the worst voice of any newscaster on radio.

by Anonymousreply 45801/03/2013

Hey you guys, like, y'know get my name right, ok? It's Chace with a 'c'. I'm, like, soooo thrilled to here on Data Lounge!

by Anonymousreply 45901/04/2013

She's on the Verizon am radio commercial now post sandy annoying voice close mic talker pronounces "o" like a black or asian with big clicking lips, like the word "skoo" can't quite say school

by Anonymousreply 46001/04/2013

Duly noted. Zoe Chace.

Thank you for clarifying it for us.

by Anonymousreply 46101/04/2013

Zoe reads the copy in a monotone appropiate for a funeral home spot.

by Anonymousreply 46201/04/2013

r462 here. I was referring to the Verizon campaign.

by Anonymousreply 46301/04/2013

All of the above except Diane Rehm and plus Jackie Lyden.

by Anonymousreply 46401/06/2013

Jackie Lyden always sounds like she wants people to think she went to Miss Porter's. Actually, she is a graduate of Valparaiso University in Southeastern Indiana. She did go to their Cambridge Abroad program though, and she just doesn't want you to forget that. Maybe that's called an aspirational accent?

by Anonymousreply 46501/06/2013

I was in "Eleanor Beardsley Hell" this morning. Her story was interesting, but that godawful voice always kills it for me. If they had followed here with Zoe Chace it would have been all over for me

by Anonymousreply 46601/07/2013

Eleanor Beardsley sounds like she really doesn't want to be doing the story, thinks it's boring, and is only doing it because it was assigned and she wants to get paid. She never seems to go beyond the basic story and never asks probing questions.

On the other side of the coin, there's Sylvia Poggioli and David Green - always seem interested in the topic and the person they're interviewing. Always have plenty of questions to get the full story on what they're covering. Their interest in the subject draws your interest into their report.

by Anonymousreply 46701/08/2013

I'll echo R467 on the dedicated and diligent Sylvia Poggioli (who also has a fantastic radio voice). Another person who has unalloyed and I'd say infectious enthusiasm for his beat is Guy Raz (despite his uber-nerd voice), who just left his gig at weekend All Things Considered (and will be missed, one of the most liberal voices there, I'd say).

by Anonymousreply 46801/08/2013

Hands down, Zoe Chace! It's a cross between vocal fry and uptalk. For me, like nails on a chalkboard. Get the girl some elocution lessons!!!

by Anonymousreply 46901/13/2013

I can't stand the guy who does most of the station breaks: "This program is brought to you by the John D. And Catherine T. Macarthur Foundation, committed to building a more just, verdant, and peaceful world."

Horrible, nasal voice.

by Anonymousreply 47001/13/2013

to the host of "Latino USA ". Who pronounces her last name EEE nuh OH Suh. Relax the accent before you chip a tooth!

by Anonymousreply 47101/15/2013

where the hell is zoe chace from?? I have a deep dark fear she is from Chicago (as am I). It mortifies me to think we sound like that. I only found this thread b/c I googled her name with "accent" to face my fears... But no luck. The internet would not divulge.

by Anonymousreply 47201/16/2013

r472: Zoe Chace grew up in Manhattan. This is easily found on Google. Her speech IMO is some strange midwestern sounding affectation, since people from Manhattan never sound like this. She did go to college in Ohio, as I recall, so maybe she picked it up there?? I find her voice unbearable, so I no longer listen to Planet Money. I even sent them an email a while back telling them how her voice drives me crazy, but since people keep coming to this thread to complain about her (I found it last April), obviously Planet Money has no regard for my personal feelings. :0) Apparently she has a young hipster fan base out there, judging by some comments I've seen in other threads. Those of us with sensitive ears will just have to dig up some old Noah Adams reruns I guess...

by Anonymousreply 47301/16/2013

I agree about Zoe Chace's voice. Horrible. It's too bad because I really love Planet Money.

by Anonymousreply 47401/16/2013

No, not all the voices are annoying, but Beardsley's is and she too often has annoying ideas to match.

by Anonymousreply 47501/26/2013

Diane Rehm has to go...listening to her is worse than being waterboarded. Lynn Rosetto-whatever, the Splendid Table host, is annoying. Her exagerated emotions, and faking the ability to know hot to cook anything anyway is painful.

by Anonymousreply 47601/27/2013

So many of these voices kill me.

Rob Stein sounds like he's got a Novocaine addiction and is battling it out with his own mouth.

Frank Tavares ("Support for NPR comes from...")-- while I understand that his over-enunciation is for clarity--could stand to tone it down a bit. A circa 1980 Speak & Spell is less aggravating.

Eleanor Beardsley apparently takes great personal issue with having to deliver a report, and goes to great, passive-aggressive lengths to make sure her listeners know it.

Robert Siegel's emphasis of his own name, along with pronunciations of such words as "news" (which he says often) to become "nuwess"...

You have one job, people. One job!

by Anonymousreply 47701/28/2013

"Actually, she is a graduate of Valparaiso University in Southeastern Indiana."

Actually, R465, Valparaiso Univ. is in northwest Indiana.

by Anonymousreply 47801/28/2013

[quote]Frank Tavares ("Support for NPR comes from...")

I never knew his name until now. His nasally voice sounds like it gets electronically adjusted and is awful. There are so many people with pleasant voices, why do they push him at us?

by Anonymousreply 47901/28/2013

Lakshmi Singh bringing the news from Waughshingtin.

by Anonymousreply 48001/28/2013

The voice at Information Line (888-247-2425) is the annoying woman at WNYC who reads list of underwriters.

by Anonymousreply 48101/28/2013

It's difficult to listen to any of them for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Bring back Bob Edwards. I miss him!

by Anonymousreply 48201/28/2013

Bob Edwards isn't gone. I hear him on weekends.

by Anonymousreply 48301/28/2013

R477 and R479, Frank Tavares is on the Speech Communication faculty (!) at a southern Connecticut state university. Wouldn't you love to hear how his students sound?

by Anonymousreply 48401/29/2013

ZOE CHASE. horrible voice, she over emphasizes EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 48501/30/2013

[quote]Frank Tavares is on the Speech Communication faculty (!) at a southern Connecticut state university. Wouldn't you love to hear how his students sound?

That's unreal. He needs speech therapy and shouldn't be teaching students. I hit the radio mute button when he comes on. Same for Zoe Chace.

When it comes to Diane Rehm, her vocal problems are caused by an illness. It's easy to overlook her voice because she's always asking probing questions to get answers that people want to hear. I love it when she'll say something like, "Well, Sir, you just said an awful lot but you still didn't answer the question. Here it is again..." Most Rethuglicans avoid the Diane Rehm Show because she will call them on their lies and hypocrisy. When she interviews an author, you can bet that she read their latest book.

by Anonymousreply 48601/30/2013

r486, are you saying Diane purposely ignores the lies Democrats tell?

by Anonymousreply 48701/30/2013

The guy who reads the underwriting announcements makes me want to get in a fast-moving vehicle just so I can jump out of it.

by Anonymousreply 48801/30/2013

Al Gore is the guest on The Diane Rehm Show today. His slooooooooooooooow talk makes Diane sound like a speed demon. I usually agree with what he says, but could almost fall asleep waiting for him to painfully get through each sentence.

by Anonymousreply 48901/31/2013

[quote] at a southern Connecticut state university

At Southern Connecticut State University

by Anonymousreply 49001/31/2013

On "This American Life," Ira Glass could take the world's most exciting story and make it dull and boring. He gathers great stories but, as a host, he totally sucks. He should be the producer of "This American Life" with a new, dynamic host.

by Anonymousreply 49102/02/2013

NPR's Planet Money currently (2/1/13) has a survey online. This is the home of this thread's ultimate annoying voice, ZOE CHACE. I filled it out and offered my complaint about Zoe, requesting that she be given a desk job. Here's your chance, Zoe Haters of the World.

Sorry, don't know how to correctly post links on DL. I'll put it in the URL slot and see if it works. Hopefully it will come through and you can get the link. If not, google Planet Money questionnaire, which is what I just did to find it again.

by Anonymousreply 49202/02/2013

As an avid NPR listener, I am familiar with most of the voices mentioned on this thread and I can understand why many people find some of the voices annoying. For me, one of the worst is Garrison Keillor's singing voice is unbearable. What I don't understand is why no one has objected to the snide anti-semitic comments in several of the messages, including coded references like "upper West Side." Strong opinions about radio personalities' voices are fair game. Bigotry is not.

by Anonymousreply 49302/03/2013

Ira Glass needs his adenoids removed.

by Anonymousreply 49402/03/2013

Ira Glass: The worst thing about him is the way he always says "Ac' one" instead of "Act one" in his intro...drives me nuts. His overly casual, offhand delivery is generally annoying as well. We can probably blame him for the last 15 year trend of 'everyday' voices on NPR. His show was unusual in this when it began.

by Anonymousreply 49502/03/2013

R492: thanks for the link, I did the survey and complained (politely) about the Chace voice (please give her a desk job)

by Anonymousreply 49602/03/2013

r493: I've been on Datalounge since finding this particular thread on Google last spring (I am a Zoe Chace hater troll I guess). I find the site so entertaining and informative (and I don't currently know anyone bitchy in my real life except me LOL), so I keep coming back. There is OVERT (not merely coded) anti-semitism on some DL threads that is not deleted--maybe eventually but I don't choose to make an issue of it so I haven't been back to those threads to find out. I guess the moderator is very tolerant unless someone makes a big fuss??? (don't know since I am a recent arrival). Personally, my attitude is sticks and stones and all that. Since I didn't notice it in this thread, I assume it's minor by comparison. Who knows, it might have all been the same person and they haven't been around lately. It's certainly not the norm on DL (at least not since April 2012 when I first arrived), but it does happen.

by Anonymousreply 49702/03/2013

After my last post responding to the concerns about anti-semitism, I read through the entire thread again. This is a very amusing thread, folks, and I laughed out loud all over again. However, I discovered there is indeed very OVERT anti-semitism on this thread, not "coded" at all. I flagged those particular posts. Does that do anything at this late date? One person even posted a complaint about it. Is objecting to anti-semitism just so last century here on DL? What's up with that?

by Anonymousreply 49802/03/2013

[quote]The guy who reads the underwriting announcements makes me want to get in a fast-moving vehicle just so I can jump out of it.

Frank Tavares is on the Speech Communication faculty at Southern Connecticut State University. Did he get hired at the university and NPR without them ever hearing him speak? His horrendous nasally voice is featured more than any other on NPR.

Why is he in a position to teach students? Imagine the horror of a classroom full of people sounding like Frank Tavares!!!!

by Anonymousreply 49902/05/2013

People who declare themselves as being "great public speakers" and seek out employment where they are required to talk at length, potentially broadcasting their voice within a hundred mile radius, usually have annoying, intolerable voices. Nasal, whiny-voiced people usually have some (well-deserved) hang ups about their voices, probably dating back to being mocked as a youngster, and try to cope with this trauma by attempting to make as many people as possible listen to them. I'm sure we have all worked with people who "love to hear themselves talk" but, surprise, no one else does.

by Anonymousreply 50002/05/2013

Frank reading a passage from "Mommie Dearest" at 2:00 like a computer. His strange, inhuman inflections sound like my Mac.

by Anonymousreply 50102/05/2013

Not crazy about Frank Tavares's voice, and anybody could do that kind of 'neutral' reading. On "Melrose Place" they called it acting

by Anonymousreply 50202/05/2013

My college Speech teacher would have flunked Frank Tavares.

by Anonymousreply 50302/07/2013

I just filled out the NPR Planet Money Survey. Hopefully my negative comments about Zoe Chace will lead to her removal

by Anonymousreply 50402/11/2013

On the other hand, I was watching Meet the Press (I think) and noticed this handsome commentator. It was Steve Inskeep. Yeah, he's hotter looking than you may think based on the generic (but innoffensive) sound of his voice.

by Anonymousreply 50502/13/2013

r493, "Upper West Side" refers to a Liberal neighborhood, not a coded message having anything do with religion.

by Anonymousreply 50602/15/2013

Not npr, but how do you all feel about Joan Hamburg ?

by Anonymousreply 50702/15/2013

Many people on NPR have great radio voices so I really can't understand why they have the nasally Frank Tavares on. Dozens of other NPR people could do a great job with those announcements. Didn't he have to submit a demo tape to get the job? His voice is a total distraction and makes you just want to turn to another station.

by Anonymousreply 50802/15/2013

Steve Inskeep

(I miss Bob Edwards ... still_

by Anonymousreply 51002/15/2013

I don't miss Bob Edwards at all. I enjoy his show on a regular basis. He always has interesting stories and guests.

by Anonymousreply 51102/16/2013

One of the worst: Karen Grigsby-Bates

I was so glad when Liane Hanson left . Wasn't she the former Mrs. Neal Cohen

Is there a Terri Gross? Everytime I listen to Fresh Air, Dave Davies is filling in for her?

Whatever happened to John Hockenberry?

by Anonymousreply 51202/16/2013

When my voice changes, I want to sound like Wade Goodwin

by Anonymousreply 51302/16/2013

John Hockenberry has a show called "The Takeaway" which just recently started airing here in Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 51402/16/2013

John Hockenberry's voice is fine, but he ca be such a smarta$$ in his interviews

by Anonymousreply 51502/16/2013

r509: Larry Mantle is not on national NPR. He is the host on KPCC in Pasadena CA, a public radio station (PRI I think?) You think he's transgender because? He does have a somewhat high-pitched voice; I'll grant that. Actually, it's a little bit gay voice IMO but I presume he's straight. He alludes to his wife and son occasionally. Anyway, I think he's a very good interviewer. I'm a regular listener to the Filmweek podcast which he hosts.

by Anonymousreply 51602/16/2013

[quote]Is there a Terri Gross? Everytime I listen to Fresh Air, Dave Davies is filling in for her?

Uh, yes, (giggle), uh, I sometimes, uh, take a day off (giggle) so that, uh, gives, uh, Dave (gigggle) something to do.

by Anonymousreply 51702/17/2013

R516, he sounds like a woman. I thought he was a woman the first handful of times I heard bits of shows. While my mother was visiting she refused to believe he was male. Is there any proof he is biologically male?

by Anonymousreply 51802/18/2013

r507, New York's Joan Hamburg on WOR has been on-air since the 70s. Friendly voice. Excellent at sequeing into a commercial while talking about food. Does consumer reports and interviews lots of Broadway folk. Believes in gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 51902/18/2013

Eleanor Beardsley has the most annoying delivery, hands down. When she is reading a report (not so much when she is doing an interview) she sounds like a middle schooler reluctantly reciting a poem from memory. And when she signs off with her downward intonation on "Paris" she sounds downright despondent. JUST TALK NORMALLY, Eleanor!

by Anonymousreply 52002/19/2013

R520 Exactly, about Beardsley. Not so bad in interviews, but that reading delivery! Yikes

I still say Zoe Chace has the most gawd-awful voice on NPR

by Anonymousreply 52102/19/2013

r521: Ditto Zoe Chace. Have they canned her yet? I'm too scared to listen to Planet Money to find out.

by Anonymousreply 52202/26/2013

I've gotten to the point where I can't listen to announcements by Frank Tavares and shut it off for a few minutes. Then I forget to go back and get pissed that they have someone with such a horrid distracting voice that forces people to leave. At least with Zoe Chace you can avoid her by skipping that program and Eleanor Beardsley isn't on very much, luckily. But, Frank Tavares haunts the place at all hours of the day and night.

Can't they tell that Beardsley no longer has an interest in her work and conducts every news reading like it's total drudgery.

by Anonymousreply 52302/27/2013

Zoe Chace. It's impossible to listen to her. I think she cultivated this way of speaking because she thought it would somehow sound hip, or cute or young. But it's so affected it's almost embarrassing to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 52403/01/2013

Ierry Gross does like use "like" a lot as if she's like some teenage girl. Like, it's a horrible habit.

by Anonymousreply 52503/01/2013

I haven't read this thread in a while--glad that people continue to write in. Many comments make me laugh out loud--that doesn't happen very often.

Can't believe that NPR leadership allows practitioners of "creaky voice" anywhere near a microphone. From program anchors (Block) to regular contributors (Welna, Aubrey) to field contributors (Rose), these people are allowed to practice their affectation on us. Enough!

Not a fan of David Greene. Can't handle the "I means", "sortas", "kindas", stammering and so forth. Lazy speech patterns resembling Guy "I was the smartest and smallest kid in my class and everyone beat me up" Raz' undisciplined speech.

Didn't appreciate having my earlier contribution censored some time ago. I merely attempted to describe Ira Glass' vocal style as "mildly effeminate" (quite accurate and hardly the harshest thing stated about him in this thread). Some editor couldn't handle it, removed my word and called me a "tool" (whatever that means). Apparently it's fine to indicate that you'd like to bash someone's face with a shovel but you can't describe a male as a bit feminine in his delivery patterns. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 52603/01/2013

Ari Shapiro's voice sounds like Gilbert Gottfried on helium. I can't stand that fucking neocon.

by Anonymousreply 52703/01/2013

[quote]Didn't appreciate having my earlier contribution censored some time ago.

The editor doesn't even know you wrote that word. It's a banned word and anytime that it is in a thread, it gets changed automatically as soon as you hit "save post." What's really stupid about it, is that people get branded as a bigot.

Although it has only been in effect since last year, if you bring up a thread from the archives of two or three years ago, you'll see that this idiotic bigot accusation now infests old threads and increases the numbers of bigot accusations.

Unless webbie has increased the scope of the bigot accusations, effem-inate works or ef-femi-nate works. We'll know after I hit save post.

by Anonymousreply 52803/01/2013

How about Yukie Noguchi..anybody sick of her voice yet? To me it sounds like a muffled scream

by Anonymousreply 52903/07/2013

There used to be a woman who worked out of NPR West whose voice got on my nerves. Her named sounded like Ginny Jardin, but I believe her first name was spelled Xinny.

by Anonymousreply 53003/07/2013

By far the worst is the baby robot underwriter voice. Her name is Lorraine Mattox. I tolerated it as a test for a long time. However now I must thank her and WNYC. I tune in, hear a story, sometimes two. She comes on, I turn the station off. I switch to podcasts, or my fav WFMU. NPR is an addiction and I feel cleaner letting go. Thanks horrible baby robot smiley WNYC underwriter voiceover "artist"!

by Anonymousreply 53103/08/2013

Zoe Chace and Kelly McEvers. I might néed to poke my eyes out if I had to hear them back to back.

by Anonymousreply 53203/08/2013

Did Frank Tavares get his job on the basis of being a college Speech teacher and not have to present an audition tape? How could they hire someone with such an awful voice?

His nasal sound, awful tone, and strange speech patterns are a total distraction.

by Anonymousreply 53303/09/2013

Today on NPR's Radiolab they worked around Frank Tavares' announcements. Instead, they had fans phone in to record the announcements. I don't know if it's a regular part of Radiolab or if it was a one-time experiment. It was nice to hear pleasant voices saying "This NPR program is brought to you by..." instead of the nasally drone by Tavares.

by Anonymousreply 53403/10/2013

Alix Spiegel: first - who ever named a child Alix? Likely the most self important, affected voice I've heard in a long time. Then again the parent who named 'Alix' must have reinforced to her that she is 'special.'

by Anonymousreply 53503/11/2013

If 'NYC wants us to pay attention to who is underwriting, they should alternate each name with a male and female voice. Mattox's monotone is boring.

by Anonymousreply 53603/11/2013

Wow, these responses are really mean. It's one thing to be annoyed by their voice, it's another to say such mean things. I also despise it when people are surprised when people age. "Terri Gross's voice is really aging" is such a dumb thing to say, considering we ALL age, and that's simply how the cookie crumbles.

by Anonymousreply 53703/12/2013

R537: I fully agree. The gay obsession with aging is so tiresome. So what if Gross's voice sounds older? She's still a charming interviewer who asks good questions (most of the time). I happen to find her voice appealing on the radio. She has brought me many informative and amusing hours over the years

by Anonymousreply 53803/12/2013

I LOVE Eleanor Beardsley's voice. Just Binged her image. I would not match the two. She is smart, charismatic, and delivers it all with a twang. Tis is a woman's woman. Go Eleanor. (And those of you who can't get by Dianne's quiver can change the channel. Your loss).

by Anonymousreply 53903/13/2013

Eleanor Beardsley is hard to listen to. Her sign off sounds hurried & pissed. But Zoey Chase is by FAR the worst. That whole valley girl act is really tiresome and does not belong on NPR. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 54003/13/2013

[quote]Eleanor Beardsley is hard to listen to. Her sign off sounds hurried & pissed.

I was reading this just as Awful Eleanor signed off again.

by Anonymousreply 54103/13/2013

On the opposite end of the scale, does anyone else listen to Kojo Nnamdi in WDC? There is something lyrical to his voice.

I agree with the comments about Diane Rehm's voice - it makes me want to clear my throat - but I think in some ways helps her because you can't detect any emotion (like irritation) in her voice and she does ask tough questions and doesn't let people off with light answers.

by Anonymousreply 54203/13/2013

no. you guys. you're drunk.

it's OBVIOUSLY a tie between zoe chace and goddamn eleanor beardsley.

i can't tell if they're doing it on purpose or not (i feel like they're doing it on purpose), but either way, both of their voices are god-awful. god. awful. god-awful.

by Anonymousreply 54303/21/2013

1.Steve Inskeep -very annoying with his bright eyed and bushy tailed effusive over caffeinated delivery. He's a frustrated Vaudvillian or carnival barker. When he imitates Scott Simon's idiotic and phony laugh, it's a low point on NPR. 2. Renee Montaigne - Patronizing Auntie Renee who reads the news as if it were from a children's book and we were all five years old. 3. Michelle Block - "Swoopsie" who has such an annoying breathless and sophisticated perkiness, where every sixth or seventh word swoops up into a higher scale for no reason at all sending a visceral shock through your gut. 4. So many more that many of you have mentioned such as Scott Simon who I thought was probably in his 70's or 80's because of his severe adenoidal problem. He and the others are "infotainment" specialists making the news "fun." I like the Car Talk guys. Accents don't bother me. Affectation does, however.

by Anonymousreply 54403/22/2013

Think sequester for NPR.

by Anonymousreply 54503/22/2013

I am always annoyed by Melissa Block. She over-enunciates every word and has this sing-song chipperness even when it's completely inappropriate. I think she needs to learn how to tone down the 'smile' in her voice when she's discussing something tragic. It's offensive, actually. I can't believe NPR has her in a leading role.

by Anonymousreply 54603/23/2013

Somehow Chana Joffe-Walt has been left out of this thread, or not mentioned enough.

I just heard her again this morning. Holy crap...what a horrible voice! She is Zoe Chace's evil twin (well, they both have evil voices). She sounds like a teenager trying to do a grown-up reporter's job. Absolutely horrendous!

by Anonymousreply 54703/28/2013

This channel must be doing something right because a bunch of you seem to know every single god-damned person on their airwaves!

by Anonymousreply 54803/28/2013

I heard Maureen Corrigan on a talk show the other day and she could converse in a normal voice. Her book reviews on Terry Gross' show are horrendous. She reads them like someone in 5th grade.

by Anonymousreply 54903/29/2013

I just watched a video of Zoe Chace because I had to see how she talks in person. She is only half as annoying when not on the radio. I have to turn off NPR when she comes on.

Scott Simon. Can't listen to Weekend Edition.

Rene Montagne and Lakshmi Singh both do this thing where they speak a syllable for too many seconds, like they can't get it off their tongues and it sounds really pretentious.

Scott Horsley has started sounding too lackadaisical. Put some inflection in there!

I hate to say it, but my local station, KGOU, has some terrible reporters. There's a woman who sounds like she's always got hard candy in her mouth and she makes odd pauses and reads her news updates all jerky-like. Nobody is as bad as her. I turn off the radio 90% of the time she's reading.

by Anonymousreply 55004/01/2013

I don't begrudge Diane Rehm having a throat disorder, but that doesn't excuse her from milking it with dragging...Out.. the End..Of...Each...Sentence........Just...Because...She Thinks...It...Adds...Gravity. I also heard she's a real bitch in real life.

However, I like the show WHEN... THERE'S... A... GUEST... HOST. Check out the Colin Powell interview --painful and embarrassing.

And what's up with all these BBC ladies these days who pronounce their "R"s as "W"s??? Nowth Kowea. Woyalty. The Qween's Engwish is going to hell ovew thewe, I mean weally.

by Anonymousreply 55104/03/2013

Oh yes, and that Lorraine Maddox of WNYC has toned it down in recent years, but I can't listen to that station anymore because of her. She used to sound like she had a candle in front of her mouth that she wasn't allowed to blow out. And the way she says "dot com" irritates the hell out of me. Who the hell does she think she is? Awful, fake, and totally put-on. She also has dry spit smacking in her mouth. Shame on WNYC.

by Anonymousreply 55204/03/2013

Also, Yes I agree Elanor Beardsly; I think she was the inspiration for Family Guy's "Asian Correspondent Trisha Takinowa".

I like the Car Talk fellas accent but can't stand their banter. "Haha ha my brother's an idiot! Haha no MY brother's an idiont haha!! There you go haha!" Uuuhg...

by Anonymousreply 55304/03/2013

Eleanor Beardsly. She does that trail-off with certain words. Drives me nuuuts.

by Anonymousreply 55404/03/2013

This is Lakshmi Singh reporting from WaushingTIN.

by Anonymousreply 55504/03/2013

How is this thread not dedicated to Eleanor Beardsley. Her voice makes me want to stab a fork in my ear. It's painful. PAINFUL!

by Anonymousreply 55604/06/2013

Zoe Chace's accent is one of the most horribly (and bizarrely unidentifiable) grating accents I think I've heard on NPR.

Eleanor Beardsley's voice is just awful; I have to turn her off. And then there's...I think maybe Neda Ulleby? Or perhaps someone else. Either way, the way they sign off and say N.P.R. news sounds like their voice is coming straight from a crypt or tomb or something.

The last is a guy that's on morning Marketplace sometimes, he does financial and real estate market updates. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 55704/06/2013

Nora Raum also reports from WashingTIN.

by Anonymousreply 55804/06/2013

LOL almost every NPR reporter/announcer has been hit on this thread. Are they any we actually like to hear?

While I'm at it, let me trash Audie Cornish -- the overly folsky and familiar, "college-guy" intonation drives me up a wall

by Anonymousreply 55904/07/2013

Does anyone still listen to NPR?? They are a waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 56004/07/2013

R559 - I really like Alix Spiegel's voice and mannerisms, as well as the material she produces (mostly on This American Life but also NPR proper).

by Anonymousreply 56104/07/2013

David Greene's nervous repeat of words (stammering? -- esp when he's interviewing rather than just reading), his sometimes abrupt accelerations of speed, and his more often than not lame attempts to be funny or cute are, for me, difficult to listen to. I hope the they tell him to slow down, chill out, and not try so hard (except for reducing rep-repeating his words).

by Anonymousreply 56204/11/2013

[quote]Are they any we actually like to hear?

Yes, Google "Susan Stamberg's Special Memory Of Dave Brubeck" and listen. It's absolutely delightful. Fun and charming.

In December, David Greene did a wonderful interview with Barry Manilow about the Great American Songbook, Broadway and "Mandy. For the first time, I became a fan of both.

Sylvia Poggioli can do no wrong. What a great voice for radio, and she always gets all the facts on things you want to know. I was rooting for her to become Pope.

Something strange happened to Eleanor Beardsley today. She gave a report on the big walkout at the Louvre yesterday. It was interesting and unique. She never seems interested in her topic. Today she did a turnaround.

by Anonymousreply 56304/11/2013

[quote]David Greene's nervous repeat of words

After reading this, I paid close attention to him doing 2 interviews and giving news stories this morning. No nervous repeat of words or stuttering.

by Anonymousreply 56404/12/2013

David Greene has a beautiful speaking voice, the best on public radio.

by Anonymousreply 56504/12/2013

NPR news reporter Juan Ferrero in Caracas whispers his reports as if he's hiding in a closet from a pro-Chavez mob.

by Anonymousreply 56604/14/2013

If Juan Forero is being chased by a pro-Chavez mob, I hope they catch him and at least keep him off the airwaves for awhile. His biased reporting drives me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 56704/15/2013

Celeste Headlee, filling in for Neal Conan on Talk of the Nation is intolerable! She would much rather talk over her guests, interupt and be rude than actually get in-depth with any topic presented.

by Anonymousreply 56804/15/2013

You're right R568. She was really rude to guests today - constantly talking over them.

by Anonymousreply 56904/15/2013

Lisa Lim, or as she says Wisa Wim. The China correspondent. I have NEVER understood why one would hire a radio personality with a speech impediment! At least NPR could pay for speech therapy?

by Anonymousreply 57004/17/2013

I've never heard Eleanor Beardsley, when is she on?

by Anonymousreply 57104/18/2013

R570, it's Louisa Lim. Maybe you're hearing a W sound because you're expecting to hear "Lisa."

R571, her dispatches from Paris (and lately London) can be heard during the 5-minute news summaries at the top of the hour. Yesterday she reported from Thatcher's funeral and sounded hilariously bored, like a bratty cartoon child.

by Anonymousreply 57204/18/2013

[quote]Yesterday she reported from Thatcher's funeral and sounded hilariously bored, like a bratty cartoon child.

She went hot and cold yesterday. She did two live reports that weren't awful, but after that she read her wrap-up reports that dropped back to her usual style.

by Anonymousreply 57304/18/2013

Something recently on Science Friday drove me nuts--Flora Lichtman, girl science reporter, did a story on the growing decline in monarch butterfly colonies in their winter resting place in Mexico--a sad and fascinating story. She interviewed a sweet retired zoologist for the story and repeatedly (maybe 6 or 7 times) called him a zoo-ologist. She is supposed to be a science reporter and can't pronounce zo-ology correctly? It just drove me bonkers!

by Anonymousreply 57404/18/2013

Ari Shapiro sounds like a cracked out party girl who showed up to work high.

by Anonymousreply 57504/18/2013

[quote]David Greene's nervous repeat of words (stammering? -- esp when he's interviewing rather than just reading),

Whoa! In the past, I've only heard him reading and conducting interviews in very controlled situations. Today, he's dealing wi wi with br br breaking nnnnn news from Buh Buh Boston and it's aw aw aw awful!

by Anonymousreply 57604/19/2013

I always think David Greene sound like Ari Shapiro. I don't mind their voices at all.

Chana Joffe-Walt is the new vocal demon of NPR...what a hellacious, vocal-fry, creaky nightmare she is to listen to! Doesn't anybody who produces these things actually listen to the reporters' voices?

by Anonymousreply 57704/19/2013

Chana is always a relief to me because she's the not Zoe Chace. I find her tolerable. Hopefully they've chased Zoe out by now? Anybody heard her lately on Planet Money? There is actually a Facebook page devoted to hatred of Zoe Chace by the way!

by Anonymousreply 57804/22/2013

The guy who hosts Marketplace sounds like a smug fratbro who tries to high five the contributors after the market roundup.

The guy (sorry, I'm sick and can't remember anyone's name right now) who fills in for Diane Rehm is a total asshole. He always sounds like he's pissed off and constantly interrupts his guests. I don't know why Diane lets someone so rude fill in for her.

I love Diane's voice. She sounds so comforting and grandmotherly that I thought she was some old hippy chic walking around the NPR offices with a broomstick skirt, Birkenstocks, drinking herbal tea in a mug she threw herself. I was shocked when I saw an interview with her and she's a total Washingtonian with the helmet hair and pin. I love it when the guest won't answer a question and she nails him to the wall. Her interview with Grover Norquist is legendary. I guess guests must think she's a pushover because of her sweet voice.

by Anonymousreply 57904/22/2013

So I found this thread by googling Zoe Chace, hands down the most annoying voice on NPR, and certainly was not disappointed. I've read all of the nearly 600 replies and everyone has picked out the NPR folks' mannerisms spot on.

In appreciation for all the humor on this thread I offer this poetry.

Ah, it's the NPR reporters God, it's the NPR reporters

Eleanor Beardsley Reads off the news from Paree like a marketing list She wouldn't be missed Comes from the South, putting on airs that it took her a lifetime to make Give us a break

NPR reporters Where do they all come from? NPR reporters Where do they all belong?

Sylvia Poggioli Reporting from Rome on the Catholic Church and the Mob Oh, what a job She's-a Italian, wants you to know that in her world Italian is cool, Pasta fazool

NPR reporters Where do they all come from? NPR reporters Where do they all belong?

Ofeibea Quist-Arcton Giving us news from the places that no one has been Looks like a queen Pulls it together, Africa West, East and South seem so near though they're far She's in Dakahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

by Anonymousreply 58005/03/2013

Diane Rehm sounds like she is recovering from a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 58105/03/2013

don't you guys hate when the guest host attempts to emulate the inflection of the usual host (who is already super annoying) and it comes out sounding super duper contrived and irritating?! ie. guest hosts on Fresh Air or any of the marketplace people

by Anonymousreply 58205/04/2013

Zoe Chace had an extensive report on Weekend Edition this morning. I have no idea of the topic because you just sit there overwhelmed by her vocal maneuvers.

It's as if someone has taken a magnificent structure (English language) and blown it to smithereens with bloody body parts all over the place. You barely remember what was ruined because the horror of the explosion was so awful.

As she roars on, murdering the entire broadcast, you wonder if all the NPR bosses are totally deaf and can't hear this abomination.

by Anonymousreply 58305/05/2013

Haha at the Zoe description above. I'm thinking of joining the anti-Zoe Facebook page.

Some were discussing the "Wash-ing-tin" perpetrators earlier and, you all...Michele Keleman is the absolute guiltiest. Listen to her as she signs off next time. I think she's read this thread and is doing it on purpose!

by Anonymousreply 58405/14/2013

Every time I listen to Diane Rehm I feel the Grim Reaper closing in on me. Seriously, please collect your disability insurance and get off the air with integrity. I don't donate to NPR anymore because they keep her on. It's like making Hooters keep fat girls on staff. (Hooters won that lawsuit by the way)

by Anonymousreply 58505/16/2013

Netta Ullaby. I'm absolutely, positively, without a doubt sure she'd make an excellent mime.

by Anonymousreply 58605/16/2013

Honestly - it's like NPR goes out of their way to find the worst voice talent imaginable. I can only listen to car talk and wait wait don't tell me. Don't even get me started on their news shows musical themes. And they wonder why people tune into faux news - they take care to find presenters that are smooth with voices that are easy to listen to. IT MATTERS!

by Anonymousreply 58705/18/2013

I LOVE car talk! Granted, the constant laughing can get a little annoying, but I love those guys.

I nominate Mike [forget his last name] the garden guy on Saturday morning. He KNOWS his stuff, but he's got the worst PHILLY accent ever!

And he says, "you's".

by Anonymousreply 58805/18/2013

NPR needs to make Eleanor Beardsley go away ASAP (or get her a coach). Her voice and manner of delivery are more than annoying. She sounds so irritated and is in turn irritating to listeners. I always switch radio stations to avoid further pain. Why would one contribute to NPR to sustain more of this?

by Anonymousreply 58905/21/2013

Andrea Seabrook. She sounds fat.

Scott Simon and that laugh

by Anonymousreply 59005/21/2013

I googled an image of Seabrook. I was right!!

by Anonymousreply 59105/21/2013

In this age of mobile apps, streaming data, and Bluetooth audio and satellite radio in our cars (assuming that's where you listen to public radio), there's no reason to put up with NPR anymore. I listen to CBC Radio One now via their iPhone app. News of greater substance, and absolutely nobody has an annoying voice or accent.

I also like the BBC News app that streams World Service radio, but the lower bitrate audio means less fidelity: it sounds like AM radio.

by Anonymousreply 59305/22/2013

I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning Renee Montagne. She has a seemingly uncontrollable shriek/screech, and she practices the lazy s sound that is really quite out of style as of many years ago. (She needs to get in on the vocal fry thing.) She begins every statement and question with "so" except with the lazy s, it comes out "show" or "cho". Ewww.

I turn off the radio any time I hear Zoe Chace, Alix Spiegel, or Alison Aubrey. Along with so many others, I can't understand the popularity of the vocal fry, and more importantly, why anybody would want this sound on the radio.

Ira Glass used to bug me but I have gotten used to him. It is weird that the guests on his program all seem to have really offensive, hard-to-take (IMO) voices, so I usually can't get through the show.

Mee-chell was annoying to me as well, although I was somewhat touched to learn the story of the pronunciation of her name. It was so weird the way she would put on this "sustah" voice when talking with a black guest.

I am bothered by Lourdes Garcia-Navarro's hushed tones. Sounds to me like she is trying to be compelling. Sounds affected; I seem to recall she didn't always do this.

Neda Ulaby annoys me. She has that syrupy tone and she has so many affected pronunciations. Sounds like she is trying to be younger than she is.

The mixed accents are so weird. Especially Cindy Rodriguez. There's that all-American cheerleader name (at least in my neighborhood) followed by the full-on ethnic treatment of her surname.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Deborah Amos. She is a pretty good reporter, I suppose, but I get distracted by the rolling r sounds and the aggressive vowels.

In response to a "could you do any better" comment a while back, I would like to say that I probably could not, but is that really the point? I'm not making my living by imposing the sound of my voice on people's ears. Seems like if your job is to use your voice, especially without any visual mitigating factors, your voice should meet certain quality standards. If you put yourself in the public eye (or ear) you should be prepared for public commentary, positive and negative.

This is an awesome thread! I found it by googling Alix Spiegel vocal fry after turning off one of her reports the other morning.

by Anonymousreply 59505/23/2013

I yearn for the days when radio pros and aspirants had glorious voices, and if they didn't, they took elocution and accent elimination courses to soften the edges and make themselves marketable. Now, it's as if nepotism is responsible for bringing us the equivalent of the bottom of the barrel.

by Anonymousreply 59605/23/2013

I wrote an email complaint to NPR about Louisa Lim, the Beijing based Baba Wawa and got a form letter in return. Annoying beyond reason. My new hate on is for Jim Hightower the Texas political analyst who sounds like a sharecropper. Also why are all the Portland field reporters Brits?

by Anonymousreply 59705/23/2013

[quote]I am bothered by Lourdes Garcia-Navarro's hushed tones. Sounds to me like she is trying to be compelling. Sounds affected; I seem to recall she didn't always do this.

She didn't do that when she was covering the Middle East and North Africa. It was always a professional hard-hitting news voice. Now that she's in South America, she totally changed her style. The guy who broadcasts from Venezuela also sounds as if he's hiding in a closet or someone's basement, trying to get out the news before they find him.

by Anonymousreply 59805/23/2013

On the other side of the coin, anybody remember when Mike Theodoulou used to report from Nicosia? I thought he sounded very sexy, and the way he said his name sounded so cool to me.

by Anonymousreply 59905/24/2013

This thread started three years ago - 05/15/2010

Zoe Chace wasn't mentioned until 03/11/2012 with: "There are no words to describe how much I loathe the voice of Zoe Chace, who is the newish reporter on the Planet Money podcast."

Until Chace appeared on NPR, it seemed that Eleanor Beardsley would have been voted most annoying NPR voice.

by Anonymousreply 60005/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!