Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Prick Up Your Ears" 1987

Leonie Orton: [Mingling Joe's and Ken's ashes] I think I'm putting in more of Joe than I am of Kenneth. Peggy Ramsay: It's a gesture dear, not a recipe

by who else loves this movie?reply 2212/27/2012

"What can I say? Cheap clothes suit you."

by who else loves this movie?reply 105/11/2010

OP owns this thread with that quote.

How about ... "HAVE A WANK? Scenarios must be envisioned, magazines must be procured ... HAVE A WANK???"

by who else loves this movie?reply 205/11/2010

Its good, not sure I love it though

by who else loves this movie?reply 305/11/2010

I love that last line !

by who else loves this movie?reply 405/12/2010

Oh dear, oh dear! Someone's been playing silly buggers!

by who else loves this movie?reply 505/12/2010

"I always wanted to be an orphan...I could have been if it were not for my parents!"

by who else loves this movie?reply 605/12/2010

[quote]This is one of the most enthralling stories ever written by Miss Sayers.

[quote]It is the only one where the murder weapon is concealed not for reasons of fear but for reasons of decency.

[quote]READ THIS BEHIND CLOSED DOORS! And have a good shit while you are reading!

by who else loves this movie?reply 705/12/2010

What I found most shocking about the book the film was based on was that when a producer was invited to Joe & Kenneth's for dinner, Kenneth served him a first course of rice & sardines and then a second course of rice & a cream sauce.

I wouldn't want to be rude, but I couldn't eat that.

by who else loves this movie?reply 805/12/2010

Joe Orton: Some of these people are, well, having sexual intercourse

Kenneth Halliwell: Fucking, you mean? Well, what do you expect? Many of them are from Australia.

by who else loves this movie?reply 905/13/2010

The last couple minute of the film is comparable to Looking For Mr. Goodbar.

The graphic violence then a silent hush that is quite haunting.

I did not enjoy this movie at all. Alfred Molina portrayed Kenneth as an Quasimoto-like oaf and it was difficult to see what someone like Joe saw in him.

by who else loves this movie?reply 1005/13/2010

"Alfred Molina portrayed Kenneth as an Quasimoto-like oaf and it was difficult to see what someone like Joe saw in him."

The real life Kenneth was better-looking than Molina (which is interesting because in biopics the actors are usually much hotter than the real people they are portraying)

by who else loves this movie?reply 1105/13/2010

Love this film. A total testament to the acting chops of Gary Oldman, who completely inhabits the character convincingly.

Kenneth H always gets a bum deal in the portrayals of him- probably to do with the fact that his character was so complex that it's a lot easier to play him as a pompous neurotic ass (his surface) rather than the cold, damaged mess he undoubtedly was (that's what comes screaming through the books and diary anyway). My brother says the most realistic one was probably in "Fantabulosa"- the excellent BBC4 Kenny Williams biopic from a few years ago.

Oh look, it's on youtube. I'll watch it again and let you know.

I was utterly obsessed with Orton last year and read all the books and watched all the films I could. Even went to see that less-than-brilliant stage performance put in by some bloke and the awful Matt Lucas.

by who else loves this movie?reply 1205/13/2010

Not only was Kenneth Halliwell better looking, photos suggest his having a pleasant demeanor at times. Molina portrayed him as permanently depressed and dour which leaves you wondering why Orton tolerated him.

Oldman was great although he is a puckish man. The real Orton was tall and lanky.

by who else loves this movie?reply 1305/13/2010

How can you love this film? The two characters are grotesque and not remotely lovable. While there's skill and intelligence behind it, it's not very generous to Orton or his memory.

I actually thought it was borderline homophobic when I first saw it.

by who else loves this movie?reply 1405/13/2010

When this movie came on the VHS the Blockbuster by my house had it in the COMEDY section.

by who else loves this movie?reply 1505/13/2010

Orton's landlady:

"I spilled a hot drink down my dress. My vagina came up like a football!"

John Lahr's mother-in-law, translating Joe's diary from shorthand:

"[italic]...and then I'm going to have a nice, long wink.[/italic]" "Are you sure it says, [italic]wink?[/italic]" "No, dear, I'm not sure at all."

by who else loves this movie?reply 1605/13/2010

Are these quotes all from the movie? I saw some scenes of it and the one most vivid in my memory is when Oldman's character tells the other one that when they are in Marakesh it's possible they'll find someone who'd be interested in having sex with Molina's character.

by who else loves this movie?reply 1705/13/2010

Yup I'd say the "Fantabulosa" Halliwell is nearer the mark, if a bit uglier and older than the real one (again!). My brother is right for once.

by who else loves this movie?reply 1805/13/2010

You should check out the film version of ENTERTAINING MR. SLOANE if you haven't seen it. Alas, the movie they made of LOOT is a travesty, good only for showing how badly dated those "mod" films of the late sixties/early seventies were.

by who else loves this movie?reply 1905/13/2010

More from the mother-in-law: (Reading from the diary) "Read all morning, but got another hard on. Just putting soap on it when mum came in. Said I thought I had another spot coming. Mum quiet all through dinner..." Well, I should say so!

Lahr's wife: The early diaries stop just when he life got interesting.

Mother: Sounds quite interesting already.

Vanessa as Peggy was the shit. Oldman and Waters terrific. Molina, though a good actor, was miscast. Or the role was miswritten. Just for narrative shorthand, I understand why they did that to Kenneth, but it made him less sympathetic than he actually was. At least, from what I can tell from his writing.

My favorite Orton play is What The Butler Saw. Hysterical. "My uterine contractions have been bogus for some time."

by who else loves this movie?reply 2005/14/2010

When the film came out I recall screenwriter Alan Bennett saying words to the effect of 'Well I didn't like him very much, and I doubt he would have liked me.'

Orton and Bennett were exact contemporaries, 'outsiders', successful playwrights, and gay - but yes, so very different.

by who else loves this movie?reply 2105/14/2010

Look, Joe Orton on a talk show. And Eva Gabor is there, too

by who else loves this movie?reply 2212/27/2012
Need more help? Click Here.