Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is it so bad to call a woman a "cunt" compared to calling a man a "dick"?

This is something I've always wondered when dealing with profanity. I've always seen women call men dicks or pricks before, but if you called a woman a cunt or a twat, suddenly you've gone too far. Why is it worse? And why is it so worse than calling them a bitch?

by Anonymousreply 10804/21/2015

The problem with using the word CUNT so frequently here is that it has seeped into my daily lingo. I almost referred to a co-worker of mine as a "CUNT" today, and while CUNT was an accurate description, I was in mixed company, and in a professional environment. It would not have gone over well. But CUNT is a wonderful word to say. CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 705/10/2010

[quote]in a professional environment. It would not have gone over well. Gee. Ya think?

by Anonymousreply 805/10/2010

OP, in case you haven't noticed, most "profanites" are created by those of the male gender. Women really aren't that much into overtly profaning others - they prefer the more subtle approach. Thus, the most vile and offensive of profanities are reserved for women, and gay men. "Dick", "prick", and "peckerhead" are more terms of affection than slurs. Men aren't going to invent profanities that insult themselves.

by Anonymousreply 905/10/2010

I think it's because "bitch" serves the purpose. "Dick" or "prick" or "asshole" serves the purpose for men.

"Cunt" ups the ante. Maybe the male equivalent is "cocksucker."

But there is the element that others have brought up--the dichotomy between how effective the words are against the dominant group and how effective they are against the subordinate group. I never heard of anyone being upset about being called "honky" or "cracker." "Breeders" don't even know what the term means. Men see being called "prick" as a badge of honor.

In eighth grade, my best friend's mother told him I was an "arrogant ass." That made me proud.

by Anonymousreply 1205/11/2010

I don't mind it. I especially like to call gay men cunts.lesb

by Anonymousreply 1305/11/2010

I hate being called a cunts.lesb.

by Anonymousreply 1405/11/2010

earrings caftans

by Anonymousreply 1505/11/2010

Jesus, r11. Get some exercise or something. Right now you sound like the DL is the only thing keeping you from shooting up an office. And you know, even though it wouldn't be as fun (?) for you, in the future, if you notice that a word is short one (1) letter, maybe you should consider the possibility that the writer made a typing mistake.

by Anonymousreply 1605/11/2010

As with all slurs, it's not the words themselves so much as the intent and context behind them that makes them offensive. It's a reductive term intended to demean women and reinforce that they are lesser beings whose only value lies in a particular body part. No one has ever believed that men's only value lies in their penis, and unlike a pussy, a dick is seen as a symbol of power, so many men consider it a compliment to be called one. When you call women cunts, you are just reminding them that they are believed to be weak and inferior, and that you believe it, too. There is no real equivalent of "cunt" for men, except perhaps to call them "cunts", too.

by Anonymousreply 1905/11/2010

Dick is also a name, well usually a nick name for Richard so it's kind of bland. Cocksucker would be more on the same level as cunt.

by Anonymousreply 2005/11/2010

"Have you ever seen a cunt?"

I, myself, have not.

by Anonymousreply 2305/11/2010

r11, you're not even trying. Obviously we live in a patriarchal society, of which you are sadly a product. Why are you so outraged by sloppy typing on datalounge? It's an anonymous message board on the internet. Worse mistakes occur regularly but this one sets you off?

Clearly, you are threatened. You use the word routinely, and love it so much. You think you're clever, but really you're just a misogynist. You are no better than the bigots who seek to ban gay marriage, or the KKK members who hate blacks, or the AZ teabaggers who demand documentation. You reduce human beings to a slur.

Cunt means nothing to you, but I'm sure your panties get all a twist upon being called a "faggot." If you weren't a homo, surely you'd be a redneck.

by Anonymousreply 2405/11/2010

"Dick corrected the colonel who said all gooks are chinks.

"Chinks are always gooks, but a gook isn't always a Chink."

by Anonymousreply 2505/11/2010

I think they are both crude and pretty much reflect a troglodyte mind behind the insult.

Want to show yourself to be a crude idiot? Call people a dick, dick head, cock sucker, cunt in front of others. Right up there as well, men who tell others fuck yourself up your ass etc.

Nothing puts a person on lower level of behavior (and a flashing light to stay clear of in all things professional and personal) than people who use language like this.

Keep it up and you will not get the job and you will not retain friends. You'll see- Although the propensity to use this kind of language is probably accompanied by other behaviors that prevent employment and friendships.

More forgivable in a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 2605/11/2010

what about the use of CUNT to mean something cool or badass?

As in, "Those shoes are so Cunt." Some might remember Kevin Aviance song Cunty, where Cunt became more of an attitude, a certain fiereceness or fabulosity, if you will.

"That look was so cunt." Or "I am feeling Cunty."

by Anonymousreply 2705/11/2010

"Patriarch" is obviously a typo for "patriarchy." Did you forget that that's a word, r11?

by Anonymousreply 2805/11/2010

R27 is yellow and orange tie dye chiffon ever good taste?

Is it ever a good idea to call something edgy "nigger" or so kike-like?

Crude is crude- making sex and and sex organs symbols of derision never works. Kids who mildy put something down by calling it "gay" are doing the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 2905/11/2010

As we have all heard "Mac Dre" albums thee explaint the word "cunt' is as form of calling a woman a bitch,whore,slut,beezy, as in get naked u beezy..It was deived from the lost world of shrooms where a man spoke of how he had fucked two sluts and became rich off their pussy and later on to approve it a black male named Mac Dre shouts out in a deep voice like fat alberts homeys and says WORDdddd!! FIN

by Anonymousreply 3012/12/2012

Because straight women haven't come to terms with their cunts yet. We're working on it, believe me.

by Anonymousreply 3112/12/2012

PS

Not speaking for all straight women.

by Anonymousreply 3212/12/2012

BUT, I am a cocksucker I am I am

by Anonymousreply 3312/12/2012

I had a boss once call someone a cocksucker as he slammed down his phone. I happened to be walking in his office right then and without breaking stride I said "you say that like it's a bad thing."

I had been out for a while and he respected me enough that he didn't use it in my presence again.

by Anonymousreply 3412/12/2012

I don't know about where you guys live. But here in The City? Both terms are taken with a grain of salt. Either one is about as provocative as calling someone a dumbass. .. No big deal. .. Next?

by Anonymousreply 3512/12/2012

Hey Big City Dweller R35: Walk around your town with a video camera following you and you go calling random women cunts and call the men dicks.

We'll watch the vids and place bets on how much blood and teeth you lose. Winner gets an exclusive Datalounge edition iPod.

God you're a tard.

by Anonymousreply 3612/12/2012

cunts!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3903/26/2013

r3 Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 4003/26/2013

It's like this: dick means disagreeable. Cunt means worthless.

by Anonymousreply 4103/26/2013

Because men of low intelligence do not have the where with all to have a vast vocabulary to make a point without using profanity.

by Anonymousreply 4205/26/2013

I prefer to use the less obvious olde english form, "cunnie."

by Anonymousreply 4305/26/2013

[quote] Why is it so bad to call a woman a "cunt" compared to calling a man a "dick"?

Because we bears the babies and that's where them babies come from.

Why would you want to be dissing where your mammas birthed you. You just hate yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 4405/26/2013

I hear teat used all the time and didn't think it was in the same catagory as cunt, even if they describe the same thing.

I don't think of cunt as being useless, but actively, intentionally and belligerently useless.

by Anonymousreply 4605/26/2013

Don't be a Cunt, OP!

by Anonymousreply 4705/26/2013

The B-word. Ugh, ugh, ugh, why must that word exist??

by Anonymousreply 4805/26/2013

I never thought of cunt as useless or worthless, but as an uber-bitch. And lately, I hear it used for bitchy catty guys more than for the same type of women, I guess since cocksucker has lost its punch (and means jerk or bastard), and s.o.b. and even motherfucker mean nothing at all anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4905/26/2013

And I think it's quite accepted for women (and men) to call women cunts and twats in Australia, the UK and Ireland. It's just in puritanical America that the word means anything (other than affection :)

by Anonymousreply 5005/26/2013

I call a spade, a spade and a cunt, a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5105/26/2013

They don't describe the same thing, R46.

by Anonymousreply 5205/27/2013

[quote] And I think it's quite accepted for women (and men) to call women cunts...in Australia...

Not true, R50.

by Anonymousreply 5305/27/2013

Many people keep bullshitting about it! I mean if I get called a dick, I say "At least, I have one"! Women should say the same thing if they get called a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 5410/01/2013

[quote]I never thought of cunt as useless or worthless, but as an uber-bitch.

Yes, that is exactly what "cunt" as an insult means: beyond even "bitch", "cunt" is meant to convey that the woman is absolutely horrible and nasty and rude.

I'm a chick, and I looove using the word "cunt". So many bitches really are cunts, so why not call them on it?

I also enjoy it when a guy *tries* to insult me by calling me a bitch; when I retort "Oh, I'm not just a bitch, I'm a cunt!" it just deflates them completely.

by Anonymousreply 5510/01/2013

Because women in our culture are routinely reduced to their sexual use. That is what is being done when you call a woman "cunt". It's dehumanizing.

If you aren't the type of person who would call a black person "n***er", you shouldn't be calling ANY woman "cunt".

by Anonymousreply 5610/01/2013

[quote] "So many bitches really are cunts"

What the hell does that even mean?

R55 You are a total moron and men have no respect for you (but you have no respect for yourself either, so it probably doesn't matter to you).

If you don't mind being reduced to your orifice, you need to have the decency to stop dehumanizing other women that way.

by Anonymousreply 5710/01/2013

Jeff Greene: All of the women at HBO, they don't want to work with you.

Larry David: Oh, come on. That's ridiculous.

Jeff Greene: They think you're a misogynist.

Larry David: Why, 'cause I called the guy a cunt? So what!

Jeff Greene: 'Cause you called the guy a cunt.

Larry David: Big deal, I call men pricks all the time, men want to work with me.

Jeff Greene: Well, cunt's worse.

Larry David: Cunt's not worse. Pricks and cunts, they're equal. Pricks, cunts, come on. They balance out.

Jeff Greene: No, cunt is worse. Cunt's much heavier.

Larry David: Why? Why is cunt heavier?

Jeff Greene: I never questioned, it just is.

Larry David: That's sexist to me! Come on.

by Anonymousreply 5810/01/2013

Oh I don't mind "cunt"...."pussy" is the one I don't care for.....

by Anonymousreply 5910/01/2013

its not. the only difference is men are adults who aren't "wounded" by words and fish are taught from early on to be victims all their lives so it fits into their matriarchal hegemony.

by Anonymousreply 6010/01/2013

R59, your sensitivity about "pussy" makes you sound like a pussy.

Two different things, pussy and cunt. A gaping void between them.

by Anonymousreply 6110/01/2013

PSA: "Gash" in never an appropriate substitution.

by Anonymousreply 6210/01/2013

I think it's pretty bad to call someone CUNT i mean.. It sounds mean to me

by Anonymousreply 6310/05/2013

r62, what about snatch?

by Anonymousreply 6410/05/2013

Speaking of which, it looks like DL has been invaded recently by non-gay females (AKA straight cunts) who think their opinions matter on a gay site.

by Anonymousreply 6510/05/2013

you kiss your mama with that mouth?

by Anonymousreply 6610/06/2013

I always heard that Americans have a problem with that word. I'm British and I'm so used to hearing it living in London. Cunt is a word that doesn't get the same response over here. I suppose Americans are more uptight about things like that. But I guess you will say that the British r more vulgar and I suppose we r. We just don't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 6710/06/2013

[65] I'm a straight female and I find that comment a load of bollocks. Believe me if the tables were turned u would accuse us of being homophobic. Just fucking remember u were born from a straight female u ignorant cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6810/06/2013

Women usually only reserve the word 'cunt' as a last resort to the lowest a woman can get.

There are a few,such as my ex-boss, cause she was just evil and used alot of people for her own gain.

or John Boehner.

by Anonymousreply 6910/07/2013

"Dick" isn't as loaded because it doesn't instantly imply inferiority. It isn't used in he same way at all, and it can't be.

by Anonymousreply 7010/07/2013

"Cunt" is a much more powerful and offensive word to women than "dick" is to men. I always equated the impact of a man calling a woman a "cunt" to a woman mocking a man for his penis size.

by Anonymousreply 7110/07/2013

Funny to see this thread. Just today I wrote a treatment for an adult film to ce called The Cunt.

It's about a stone-cold bitch with incredible sexual allure. Every man tries to tame her with his cock and every single one becomes a slave to her pussy.

In the last scene, all the men are licking her everywhere: eating her out, rimming her, sucking her nipples. As she stands proudly, she throws back her head triumphantly and laughs. It would be similar to a Bette Davis film.

by Anonymousreply 7210/07/2013

I'm going to suggest, only half jokingly, that if this does well, it should become a series.

The possibilities for titles are endless: Hail to the C: Part II of The Cunt...Hunt for the Cunt...No Money, No Cunny...

by Anonymousreply 7310/21/2013

I prefer Twat.

by Anonymousreply 7410/21/2013

Do you think I meant country matters?

by Anonymousreply 7510/21/2013

I am very relieved that there are more than just me who noticed this! "Cunt" means a female's genitalia! So if a girl gets called a cunt, they should really say "At least I have one"! If I get called a dick, I say "At least I have one"! But then again I never will be able to understand girls :/

by Anonymousreply 7610/22/2013

Cheryl? Cheryl, honey, feel free to chime in!

by Anonymousreply 7710/22/2013

Because men are taught to be proud of their dicks and women are taught to be ashamed of their cunts. All the Brits I've known use it in a very off-hand manner however. Cunt I don't mind but I hate the sound of the word pussy.

by Anonymousreply 7810/22/2013

What a load of mother fuckers!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7910/15/2014

here is the answer

by Anonymousreply 8010/15/2014

C.U.N.T in my dictionary stands for, "can't understand nothing thug". In all actuality, people who don't understand the truths of this earthly challenge and don't know how to act and treat others. Those whom don't understand are the ones that are suffering and whom bring suffering to others. Then they are a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 8111/27/2014

[There is nothing more tedious than a race baiting troll. Except the people that talk to it.]

by Anonymousreply 8211/27/2014

I don't know, OP. I bet there are people out there who think fag or faggot doesn't sound too bad either.

by Anonymousreply 8311/27/2014

I very rarely if not at all use words like cunt, bitch, fag. Dick is more like asshole, which is not as derogatory as above mentioned. Low brow trailer park lingo in my opinion is used way too much these days and I find it worry some.

by Anonymousreply 8411/27/2014

[There is nothing more tedious than a race baiting troll. Except the people that talk to it.]

by Anonymousreply 8511/27/2014

I agree, R84. Crudeness is becoming far too accepted.

by Anonymousreply 8611/27/2014

The C word is the strongest swearword where I'm from, (I'm half British, half NZ). I shudder when I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 8711/27/2014

You cock juggling thunder-cunt!

by Anonymousreply 8811/27/2014

No, cunt doesn't really equate to the N word. Unless you think the N word refers to the genitals of a black person.

by Anonymousreply 8911/27/2014

[quote]The C word is the strongest swearword where I'm from, (I'm half British, half NZ). I shudder when I hear it.

Isn't 'cunt' pretty much gender neutral in the UK nowadays? I've seen it used mostly about guys lately.

by Anonymousreply 9011/27/2014

Cunt doesn't bother me -- I've been known to use it myself on occasion. But "gash" and "fish" really piss me the fuck off.

Many of you use those terms here constantly; if I used the words "faggot" or "fairy" half as much as you guys say "fish," I'd have been banned from here years ago.

Thanks about it.

by Anonymousreply 9111/27/2014

I would have agreed with you a few years back, R91. Then I saw posts on lesbian sites and realized some people are just hypocritical shits- it came from talking to my lesbian friends about misogyny on sites for gay men or sites that are predominantly gay male.

by Anonymousreply 9211/27/2014

In the UK The C word usually would target a male, for example hey, you stupid f'ing c@$&. I've never really heard it as an expletive referring to a lady.

by Anonymousreply 9311/27/2014

by Anonymousreply 9411/27/2014

I also hate it when somebody says fuck in every sentence. No 1 indicator for a brain dead idiot.

See Johnny Depp thread 'Johnny Depp doesn't give a fuck'

by Anonymousreply 9511/30/2014

Lmao....

by Anonymousreply 9612/02/2014

I regret it wounds. But it certainly wounds to be around one.

And not in the pleasant way "dick" connotates.

by Anonymousreply 9712/02/2014

Simple, really. Would you rather eat a cunt or a dick?

by Anonymousreply 9812/02/2014

I say "See (C) You (U) Next (N) Tuesday (T)". A nice passive aggressive way to get my point across.

by Anonymousreply 9912/02/2014

Rex Harrison used to call everyone a cunt. He called Julie Andrews a cunt in front of the entire company of My Fair Lady before it had even opened because he didn't like her performance.

And classy lady that she was she never held it against him and she was only 20! But then she had been a music hall trouper since she was a child and was not going to be humiliated by being called a demeaning word in front of an entire company. That woman had incredible fortitude and strength. Somebody else might well have crumbled. She probably just smiled and thought to herself 'I'll show you you stinker!'

by Anonymousreply 10012/02/2014

A woman I worked with was on a rampage one day, and asked how I would like to be called an "ass fucking,cock sucking homo-faggot"

I guess I kind of got the point.

by Anonymousreply 10112/02/2014

I would have said, "Sweetie, that's what your man calls me when he force feeds me his meat. It's just mood setting words."

by Anonymousreply 10212/02/2014

a real man who really loves his lady would never call her ANY FILTHY names, if he wants to keep her.

by Anonymousreply 10301/13/2015

Calling a woman a Cunt is calling her a dog's pussy. It implies that she is indeed the daughter of a dog. ... —the TRUTH about why it's offensive —never seen a dog with wooly hair

by Anonymousreply 10404/16/2015

Which would you rather put in YOUR mouth, OP?

by Anonymousreply 10504/16/2015

I make no gender distinctions when I call someone a "cunt".

by Anonymousreply 10604/16/2015

Cunt is a perfectly cromulent word.

by Anonymousreply 10704/16/2015

my cunt is my joy and pleasure to me and whoever is invited to see so I find it hurtfull and simple hearing her name in place of rudest unimaginary

by Anonymousreply 10804/21/2015
Need more help? Click Here.