Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is SoHo''s Apple Store discriminating against Chinese people?

One Queens assemblywoman, Grace Meng, says some of the shop's employees are, and has written a letter to the company demanding an explanation.

Meng says she was approached by a handful of customers making claims they were denied an iPad because they were Chinese.

Allegedly these customers were asked for passports, asked inappropriate questions, and "one person was asked why they wanted one since their English was not so good."

A 33-year-old man from Queens says he was told by one worker that they were out of iPads, then an Asian employee found him one, but a manager then asked him if he was planning on reselling the gadget. He spoke to the paper anonymously, saying, "I'm just so upset. This is racial profiling."

Apple has yet to comment on the allegations.

by Anonymousreply 1805/09/2010

Ching Chong!

by Anonymousreply 105/07/2010

Were any potential customers asked if they had pencil pricks?

by Anonymousreply 205/07/2010

What a crock. Asians are NEVER interested in technology.

by Anonymousreply 305/07/2010

The article on the Daily News website (which is a little different from OP's post), has this as its last line:

[quote]Meng said she suspects Apple is concerned about Chinese people selling the gadgets in their homeland.

Um, shouldn't that sentence be in the first paragraph of the article? I mean, this explains WHY Apple employees are discriminating against Asians in the first place, but the article just tacks it on at the end almost as an afterthought. I guess they want you to read the article and come up with your own preconceptions about why the discrimination is happening, and then throw the truth at you at the end.

by Anonymousreply 405/07/2010

R4, that was my first assumption upon reading the first part of the article, that Apple was probably paranoid about someone taking it back to China and immediately knocking it off, long before Apple will have enough capacity to enter the Chinese market themselves.

by Anonymousreply 505/07/2010

Considering that Ipads are made in China, I don't think fear of them returning there is the problem. It sounds more like the rule that all bad customer service is caused by racism. There can never be any other explanations.

by Anonymousreply 605/07/2010

How are black people treated in Apple stores?

Oh wait, there aren't any.

by Anonymousreply 705/07/2010

I've never been in an apple store, but I have heard they only hire attractive people

by Anonymousreply 805/07/2010

The employees at the Garden State Plaza Apple store make you a liar, r8.

by Anonymousreply 905/07/2010

That's not true R8. There are fugly Apple Store employees. I've never seen a minority employee in an Apple Store, though.

by Anonymousreply 1005/07/2010

I was at the Apple store at 59th and 5th last night, R8, and that is certainly not the case at that location.

That place was awful, by the way. Full of tourists and employees descending upon customers like hawks.

by Anonymousreply 1105/07/2010

r4, Apple owns the media - due to the media thinking that Apple and its gadgets are going to SAVE them.

I'm even surprised this story ran.

by Anonymousreply 1205/07/2010

I rove Appre.

by Anonymousreply 1305/07/2010

[quote]I rove Appre.

Too bad, you're still NOT going to get an ipad, slant-eyes.

by Anonymousreply 1405/07/2010

Counterfeiting.

Huge business, billions of dollars are lost per year to Chinese counterfeiters.

by Anonymousreply 1505/07/2010

Like some Chinese woman from Queens is going to bring down the Apple empire. Don't you think that if they are going to counterfeit, the technology is already known? Sorry, it's a poor rationalization.

by Anonymousreply 1605/08/2010

[quote]Sorry, it's a poor rationalization.

Do you honestly think Apple discriminates against Asian consumers?

by Anonymousreply 1705/08/2010

No, but New York discriminates against Asian customers.

by Anonymousreply 1805/09/2010
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!