Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sonny had it coming.

I'm watching "The Godfather." When he beat the tar out of Carlo, well, the screenplay writes itself.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 4205/08/2010

Carlo set up Sonny, which is why Michael had him killed. Sonny's beating up of Carlo had nothing to do with his death, except for the fact that the Tataglia family knew that his temper would be his undoing. He was killed in revenge for Philip Tataglia's son being killed after the shooting of Don Corleone by Sollozzo's men.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 105/06/2010

In the book, Carlo's beating was witnessed by an associate of the Tattaglias. That person passed the info to the family, who used it to set him up.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 205/06/2010

I was shocked at how personally gratified I was by his death. I consider it a personal character flaw, but it was downright shit what he did to Chasity, who had considered him her greatest advocate. Even she said she had to overcome being pissed with him to properly grieve. It was probably an instant death anyway. And on a skiing vacation is a better setting than he deserved.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 305/06/2010

Yup, r1. I marvel at how Michael wants to make.damn.sure. Carlo dropped the dime on Sonny. He needs to be perfectly sure, because, after all,Carlo is his brother-in-law.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 405/06/2010

It took me a few re-readings, r3, but, now I get it.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 505/06/2010

Della, if it's your favorite film, can you tell us haters what you like about it?

I'm genuinely curious. I dislike these films because I hate the characters, and bashed them all over the "Overrated Films" thread. I wonder if anyone can tell me what I'm missing, what gets these movies to the top of the critics all-time lists.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 605/06/2010

No he didn't. He was the most unforgettable character I've ever met.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 705/06/2010

Yes he did.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 805/06/2010

The movie is much better than the book(or the two thirds of it I read before getting bored).

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 905/06/2010

r6- kissed hands and closed doors; the sum of humanity.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 1005/06/2010

R6, it's hard to explain to someone what is great about the first two "Godfather" films if she's immune or oblivious to great writing, great characters and characterizations, relevant themes that touch on larger issues concerning the fundamentals of American life, superb cinematography and editing, excellent direction (with a lot of help from the editors), and wonderful music. Every scene is iconic and memorable, with snap and menace, to those of us who like it.

But if your dislike revolves around distaste for the characters (because they're not nice people?), certainly the same is true for the characters in "Vertigo." I find Jimmy Stewart's character to be one of the most offensive assholes on film. But I love the movie.

Is it something to do with the embodiment of stereotypes in vivid characters?

I suppose it comes down to wondering how liking movies that are near-universally acknowledged as great requires an explanation. It seems more to the point that someone who doesn't like them explain what it is they don't like.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 1105/06/2010

What r11 said. The cliche "there is nothing new under the sun" is exactly what "The Godfather" films declare.

Family, loyalty ,money, love/lust, heartbreak, betrayal, loneliness then Death. And it's all wrapped up in a gorgeous package,to boot.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 1205/06/2010

Ditto R11. I'll never understand people who can't at least appreciate the skill of the film, regardless of whether or not they "like" the characters. I also think people who have to "like" the characters in order to enjoy a film are mentally stunted and usually have a poor sense of humor.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 1305/06/2010

I have never liked 'The Godfather'. It insists upon itself.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 1405/06/2010

Even "The Godfather, part III" has its compelling moments. The clunky dialog- "reason, backed up by murder.", aside, I love when Michael tells Vincent that he and Sonny fought, but he knew Sonny would anything for him.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 1505/06/2010

An Italian man, in those days, would not have beaten another man for slapping his wife around, even if it was his sister. It was considered a man's right to slap his wife around if she pissed him off.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 1605/06/2010

No it doesn't, R14. I'm not even sure what you mean by that.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 1705/06/2010

Mood and cinematagrophy, granted, take you only so far. Still, I'll take that ride with all three of "The Godfather" films.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 1805/06/2010

No, it was my fault, Sonny. I started it.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 1905/06/2010

grinning at r19.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 2005/06/2010

How do you possibly keep the Tataglias and the Sollozzos straight? Every time I watch the Godfather I get more confused.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 2105/06/2010

And the fucking Rosatos?

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 2205/06/2010

Characters are usually introduced in a film, R21. You just have to pay attention.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 2305/06/2010

r21- the Tatagglias were established aristocracy; the Corleones were , so to speak, the Royal Family.

Sollozzzo was a ballsy usurper. He was the would-be Coriolanus that rolled the dice and did not get a re-throw.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 2405/06/2010

"Tataglia is a pimp.......it was Barzini all along."

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 2505/06/2010

so of course op lied about sonny having it coming. they always lie.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 2605/06/2010

Barzini?

Damn!

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 2705/06/2010

haha

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 2805/06/2010

don't worry R14, I got it.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 2905/06/2010

bg

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 3005/07/2010

The original Godfather is slightly better than part II, which is still a great movie. Although Ebert ludicrously gave The Godfather Part II a 3 star review, I still mostly agree with his criticisms of the early 20th century Vito scenes(which are still very well done). They do take away from the present narrative a bit, and do have the tone of "If only Michael was like this"(vito).

The events in the original seems a bit more of primary importance(perhaps with the exception of the scene in which Hagen goes to hollywood).

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 3105/07/2010

" Leave the gun...take the cannoli." It's a great philosophy for life.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 3205/07/2010

The marraige of Michael and Kay is the most interesting relationship within the films. Michael married "up", with the blonde, WASP Kay. You just know that if Appollonia hadn't killed and Michael broght her back to NY, Kay would be his mistress.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 3305/07/2010

I love it when Carlo gets strangled in the car.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 3405/07/2010

These movies always make me hungry for Italian food.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 3505/07/2010

"These movies always make me hungry for Italian food."

OMG me too. I once followed the recipe for gravy in Godfater 1. So good.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 3605/07/2010

Vertigo sucked. Totally unbelievable.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 3705/07/2010

Sonnny hated Carlo and would have beaten the shit out of him on the slightest pretext. He had a hair trigger temper. I want to watch the movie again now, for the 1000th time.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 3805/07/2010

Sonny would have beaten the shit out of A LOT of guys on the slightest pretext. He was known for his temper.

PS, in the book Sonny was said to have a massive penis. The movie alludes to it during the opening wedding sequence - its very brief, but you see his wife doing the big, bigger, biggest hand signal with her girlfriends.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 3905/07/2010

By the way, Della, you have great taste and a good eye for detail.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 4005/07/2010

Brando said he knew just how to act, mimic the old style dons he knew.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 4105/07/2010

Thank you, r40. Back at ya.'

Sonny himself brought Carlo (his eventual betrayor!) into the family by introducing him to Connie. Both the book and the final scenes of Part II (sob)show that. The Don always knew Carlo was trash- "give him a living, but never discuss the family business with him."

In fact, that bit of dialog is necessary to establish the Don's distase for Connie's choice of Carlo. You'd have thought, however, that Hagen would have asked him that before thier wedding day ; just a quibble on the illogic of that bit of dialog.

by Della, it''s my fave filmreply 4205/08/2010
Need more help? Click Here.