Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lesbians more likely to be obese than straight women

A study of lesbian women suggests a possible genetic cause of obesity

Obesity continues to grow at an alarming rate in many Western countries and may be very little doubt that our modern lifestyle and diet for a large part responsible for what is now officially classified as an epidemic. However, there is also a small school, but thought that increasing obesity is increasingly also in possession of a certain gene.

At this moment there is no evidence of a genetic component to support obesity, and is not reallypossible to draw definitive conclusions. However, the last interesting development to add some validity to the genetic argument.

In a national study of nearly 6,000 women found that lesbian women were almost three times more likely to be overweight than heterosexual women, and were nearly two and a half times more often obese.

This result was surprising because the study also noted that lesbians in general have a better body image or heterosexualAnd women tend to exercise more formal. An argument in an attempt to discount the results of this study suggested that lesbians were more muscular than straight women, and that this proportion to their higher body mass index (BMI). But this was excluded because, although the muscle weight and body fat increased to produce a low degree of apparent high BMI reading, speaking, this was considered during the study and the readings were adjusted accordingly.

But what is'Explanation?

Well, this is the simple answer is that we do not know. However, there are increasingly strong evidence for a genetic link to sexual and therefore support a proposal that in the absence of other explanations, perhaps the tendency to obesity is genetic.

Only time and further research to answer this question, but in the meantime, women should be aware that lesbians have a higher risk of developing obesity.

by Anonymousreply 4503/01/2014

I don't really buy the genetic argument, I think that it's analogical to gay men taking generally better care of their appearance then straight men.

It all comes down to men giving more importance to the looks of their partner than women.

by Anonymousreply 205/06/2010

From my experience, the 'older' lesbians are usually overweight (and look like dykes) while the younger generation is quite active and sportive. But maybe that is just the case in my community.

by Anonymousreply 305/06/2010

Was this article translated by babelfish or what?

by Anonymousreply 405/06/2010

Isn't it partly that lesbians don't really CARE what men think about their appearance, and so don't feel the same pressure that straight women do to maintain a Barbie Doll-like figure??

by Anonymousreply 505/06/2010

[quote] Isn't it partly that lesbians don't really CARE what men think about their appearance, and so don't feel the same pressure that straight women do to maintain a Barbie Doll-like figure??

Silly poster. Some straight women want to look good for themselves and are not doing it for the men.

Second, gay women sometimes want to look good for other women and feel pressure to look good.

Why do you think that sort of pressure is only because of straight men? Why do gay men want to look good and be in shape? For the straight men?

by Anonymousreply 605/06/2010

"In a national study of nearly 6,000 women found that lesbian women were almost three times more likely to be overweight than heterosexual women, and were nearly two and a half times more often obese."

How is this possible in a country where, roughly, 50% of all women are overweight? If the probability of a (heterosexual) woman to be overweight is 50%, than the probability of a lesbian to be overweight is 150%. Even a lesbian can only be once overweight...

by Anonymousreply 705/06/2010

"It all comes down to men giving more importance to the looks of their partner than women."

Except that straight women are quite focused on appearance too.

by Anonymousreply 805/06/2010

I said PARTLY, r7...

by Anonymousreply 905/06/2010

Isn't it something like lesbians have an excess of estrogen while gay men have an excess of testosterone?

by Anonymousreply 1005/06/2010

r7, you really need to take a statistics class because the mind boggles at your lack of understanding.

by Anonymousreply 1105/06/2010

If I were a lesbian I would want to look good to catch a girlfriend. I don't get it. I agree it is genetic.

by Anonymousreply 1205/06/2010

This is absolute BULLSHIT! Surveys are always slanted according to what organization or group is doing the polling.

by Anonymousreply 1305/06/2010

r11, who really need to attend a statistics class are the ones who carried out the study. I only stated the nonsense they produced.

by Anonymousreply 1405/06/2010

Aren't lesbians more likely to be alcoholics? Alcohol = empty carb calories.

by Anonymousreply 1505/06/2010

Who wrote this? The "man who go up inside the man" translator?

by Anonymousreply 1605/06/2010

Has anyone noticed that this link to supposed obesity info spells "obesity" wrong?

Though I suppose the website is helpful for people who want info about "obseity."

by Anonymousreply 1705/06/2010

Fake website.

Fake "study."

by Anonymousreply 1805/06/2010

OP, if I ever need "obseity info" I will check out your incomprehensible fake study on your fake website.

by Anonymousreply 1905/06/2010

I'd say OP is the stupidest person around, but that designation belongs to all the people who took this fake mess seriously.

by Anonymousreply 2005/06/2010

Women are less shallow then men in general. Therefore lesbians have less pressure to be skinny and hot.

by Anonymousreply 2105/06/2010

We've known this for decades. We have the proof on video.

by Anonymousreply 2205/06/2010

Lesbians seem to be way less beholden to beauty ideals than straight women and gay men, probably because women are seemingly able to become more physically attracted to potential partners once they are emotionally invested in them.

People trying to find a male partner have to make peace with the fact that men are intensely visual and that being in optimal physical condition is in your best interest in order to land a quality partner.

I wouldn't say that lesbians "let themselves go", but rather they seem to approach "looking good" as being something they define for themselves as opposed to having defined for them.

by Anonymousreply 2305/06/2010

Why is this considered such a revelation?

I think some lesbians accumulate excess weight for two extremely distinct reasons - 1) some femme lesbians get fat because it discourages the aggressive sexual attentions of men. Most of these women were very pretty when they were very young. By the way, every time you meet a lesbian who makes you think "damn, she would hot is she was skinny", you've met one of these characters; 2) lots of butch lesbians get fat because it gives them extra size and bulk and makes them feel more "powerful".

In both cases, these are very fucked up reasons for getting fat.

by Anonymousreply 2405/06/2010

They are open-minded when it comes to standards of grotesqueness.

by Anonymousreply 2505/06/2010

Wow OP, I can't believe you went to the trouble of creating that fake website and fake "report" just to do a fat lesbian thread. Way too much trouble.

by Anonymousreply 2605/07/2010

In other news, water is wet.

by Anonymousreply 2705/07/2010

I bet that pic at the top of the linked page is OP.

by Anonymousreply 2805/07/2010

I'm fat because for too long I made poor food choices and did not move enough. I am losing weight because I am investing in better food and running. I don't think those reasons are disimilar to any a straight woman could honestly give as to why she is fat.

by Anonymousreply 2905/07/2010

only the very fat ugly ones.

by Anonymousreply 3001/09/2013

[quote]Lesbians more likely to be obese than straight women

I believe this.

by Anonymousreply 3101/09/2013

Another dead thread bumped pointlessly.

by Anonymousreply 3201/09/2013

I know a lot of younger lesbians who have eating disorders and focus a lot on staying thin/lose weight. But probably among older lesbians they tend to be fatter than straight women, at least the butch ones and probably because they feel manlier that way I guess. Or want to shield away male attention.

by Anonymousreply 3301/09/2013

It's the Bread Pudding - duh!

You bitches are weak.

by Anonymousreply 3401/09/2013

Most Lesbians are complete porkers.

by Anonymousreply 3502/26/2014

[quote]Women are less shallow then men in general.

So true.

by Anonymousreply 3602/26/2014

There are a number of genes that are associated with an obese phenotype, but no one gene- many of these genes are under what we call genomic control , that is to say they are triggered by environmental stimulus to modify and express an effect on phenotype- that is to say a physical expression, e.g., abdominal girth.

The OPs post is bullshit as far as I can tell. There certainly are no known polymorphisms (genes with multiple phenotype expressions) for female homosexuality and obesity.

by Anonymousreply 3702/26/2014

How about bi chicks?

by Anonymousreply 3802/27/2014

Clearly, lesbian sex doesn't provide enough exercise.

by Anonymousreply 3902/27/2014

Correlation is not causality.

People really need to learn the difference.

This report is like noting that I wake up every morning. The sun rises every morning. Therefore, the sun rises because I wake up.

Could it be that the better body image makes someone less likely to diet and monitor food intake? Both of which are correlated to a third behavior?

Why is it that we are so determined to find reasons why things are not our fault.

by Anonymousreply 4002/27/2014

Debunking the Myths of the NIH's $1.5 Million 'Lesbians Are Fat' Study

by Anonymousreply 4102/27/2014

Yes, but are there any stats about cane use ratios?

by Anonymousreply 4202/27/2014

[quote]Lesbians seem to be way less beholden to beauty ideals than straight women and gay men, probably because women are seemingly able to become more physically attracted to potential partners once they are emotionally invested in them.

There's a big difference between not obsessing over beauty ideals and being being a complete obese, lazy slob. There is a happy medium. Women may be less invested in looks, but even then I doubt the vast majority of lesbians want someone obese.

by Anonymousreply 4302/27/2014

Being obese for a woman is the best way to hide in plain sight (avoid the male gaze). As an added feature, the fat folds are a wonderful place to hid cheese puffs.

by Anonymousreply 4402/27/2014

Please, r44, if we've learned anything from Mitchfest it's that cheese puffs are best stored under the breasts. Fat folds are for "yeasties"

by Anonymousreply 4503/01/2014
Need more help? Click Here.