Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why, on average, are cats associated with feminine and dogs with masculine?

With the exception of purse dogs and poodles, this seems to be true, and I always wondered why.

Cats are quiet, stealthy, passive-aggressive, unpredictable, cold, fast, cruel, agile...

Dogs are loud, in your face, loyal, warm/affectionate, aggressive, playful, fierce, strong, powerful...

As Michelle Pfeiffer said, because men and women started out on unequal footing, women have had to adapt in a struggle to compensate for their physical weakness, relatively speaking, and they did so just as the cat has in relation to the dog.

Likewise, we have also had to compensate in relation to straight men, who have always had the upper hand, thus, the reason we gravitate toward cats and the more feminine dog.

Yes?

I'm actually a big dog person but I'm more or less indistinguishable, but in general it's gay men are cat or little dog men.

by Anonymousreply 8011/02/2014

We are attracted to animals that resemble ourselves.

Cats are nimble, independent, sensual, mysterious.

Dogs are promiscuously affectionate, easily dominated, sloppy and their balls are on constant display.

by Anonymousreply 105/04/2010

I don't get the affectionate part because aren't women more affectionate than men? Although my dad was much warmer than my mom.

by Anonymousreply 205/04/2010

I think that there is a perception of the dog as a protector that dates back to antiquity and possible before. Dogs were necessary because of they can hear danger coming far, far away. And protector is generally considered a masculine trait.

Cats are beautiful and cute, so you do the math.

I don't really buy the idea that cats are cold. I have two cats and I'm constantly fighting off the advances of amorous cats. Make friends with a cat and they will all the time be giving you love-eyes and trying to kiss you on the lips.

by Anonymousreply 305/04/2010

Miss Sissy Boodles objects to your characterization, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 405/04/2010

[quote] I don't really buy the idea that cats are cold. I have two cats and I'm constantly fighting off the advances of amorous cats. Make friends with a cat and they will all the time be giving you love-eyes and trying to kiss you on the lips.

That's been my experience, too.

by Anonymousreply 505/04/2010

Silly R3--the cat is just trying to eat you.

by Anonymousreply 605/04/2010

Hmmmm? Pussy? Can't imagine.

by Anonymousreply 705/04/2010

Because dogs stick their noses in your crotch and cats don't.

by Anonymousreply 905/04/2010

Hopefully, PT will soon be over.

by Anonymousreply 1005/04/2010

Because cats are a bunch of pussies.

by Anonymousreply 1105/04/2010

Not in my condo complex. Biggest assortment of gay dogs....EVER!

by Anonymousreply 1305/04/2010

What a limited world OP lives in.

by Anonymousreply 1405/04/2010

So all those seemingly gay animals r12. Are we just anthropomorphizing?

by Anonymousreply 1505/04/2010

Cats are evil, that's why. THREAD CLOSED!

by Anonymousreply 1605/04/2010

Because cats are bitches.

by Anonymousreply 1705/04/2010

FYI in German dogs are called "der Hund" (masculine pronoun), and cats are called "die Katze" (feminine pronoun).

I'll bet there are similar masculine-feminine labels in other languages. Am I right?

by Anonymousreply 1905/04/2010

[quote]As Michelle Pfeiffer said, My favorite philosopher!

by Anonymousreply 2105/04/2010

Worst. Thread. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 2205/04/2010

[quote]fairly macho scientist type Those words don't go together.

by Anonymousreply 2305/05/2010

Why are cats associated with the feminine? Believe me, I have no idea; but boy is it irritating.

by Anonymousreply 2405/05/2010

[quote]to adapt in a struggle to compensate for their physical weakness, relatively speaking, and they did so just as the cat has in relation to the dog.

I don't know where this idea comes from... in the wild, cats are independent predators and relatively strong.

The domestic cat is really an oddball as cat species go.

by Anonymousreply 2505/05/2010

Sorry to bust your theory, I'm as gay as a goose and have two dogs...

by Anonymousreply 2801/29/2013

Cats are called pussies. Men who own cats are huge Pussies.

by Anonymousreply 2901/29/2013

Dogs originally followed hunters (men) around. Cats stayed near the food stores that had been harvested/gathered by the women or the kitchen (again, women).

It's just that simple

by Anonymousreply 3001/29/2013

Hard not to accept that cats are womanly and dogs are manly. A female dog is a bitch. A female cat is a queen.

by Anonymousreply 3101/29/2013

Most young women want small dogs, not cats. Toy dog breeds have become more culturally feminine than cats are.

by Anonymousreply 3301/29/2013

We don't hear the words of the wise sage Michelle Pfeiffer nearly often enough.

by Anonymousreply 3401/29/2013

[quote] We are attracted to animals that resemble ourselves.

Quite the opposite. I think dominants prefer dogs and sexual submissives get to prostate their selves before their pet cats.

by Anonymousreply 3501/29/2013

oops - prostrate!

by Anonymousreply 3601/29/2013

There is a huge stigma for a dude to have and like a cat. I personally know of one guy who has a cat and actually let's people know it. There is also a stigma for dudes to have a small dog.

by Anonymousreply 3701/29/2013

I think it is the type of person that is attracted to each animal. You just don't see very masculine dudes with cats. You are not gonna see cats in hip hop videos, action movies, hangin out with football players. Alpha Males are just not gonna be seen with cats as pets.

by Anonymousreply 3901/29/2013

Well, I have cat, love dogs but don't have space in my life for one. Either could cause you some physical pain if they chose to, though my cat could do more damage than my brother's chihuahua, my sister's German Shepherd could kill you.

I don' think one is more fem or masculine. Dogs cry a lot and cats would never let you know if they did, which is contra to the hypothesis here.

by Anonymousreply 4101/29/2013

I find that people who had either a dog or cat as a child tend to select the same animal as a pet when they grow up. No major study, just an observation.

by Anonymousreply 4201/29/2013

[quote] I don' think one is more fem or masculine. Dogs cry a lot and cats would never let you know if they did, which is contra to the hypothesis here.

It's not contrary to my BDSM hypothesis, where tops prefer submissive, whining dogs.

by Anonymousreply 4301/29/2013

I've always scoffed at people who say that cats are the familiars of Satan & witches -- no understanding of cats, & filled with stupid superstition.

But there's a tom hanging around my house lately who might be able to make me a believer. Steel grey, skinny (not frail, just long & lean), stealthy even by cat standards, & always looks like he's ready to give the evil eye to anybody in his way. His normal tone of voice is a long low moan/growl & I can't believe he was ever a sweet cuddly little kitten -- if he sprang full-grown from the firepits of Hades, I wouldn't be the least surprised.

I hope he's moved on by Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 4602/02/2013

Huh? I know a lot of gay men that have large dogs. You have a lot of assumptions in your argument lol. I can't stand cats and have a red nosed pitbull (mid-sized) so don' really get where you are coming from.

by Anonymousreply 4802/02/2013

Guys want to be tough and masculine. Having a big dog that intimidates people goes a long way toward that perception. A dude with a house cat does not.

by Anonymousreply 4902/08/2013

Michelle Pfeiffer doesnt know shit about biology or evolution. That being said, dogs are probably more associated with men because dogs were first domesticated in order to help early humans hunt, a task which was often assigned to men. Cats did not start living with humans until we moved to an agrarian culture once it was noticed they help keep vermin away from stores of grain and food.

by Anonymousreply 5002/08/2013

When I was really young, I thought that cats were girls and dogs were boys.

by Anonymousreply 5202/14/2013

few men are drawn to cats. not a masculine thing.

by Anonymousreply 5410/06/2013

MOST dogs are laid back, cool, and low maintenance. Cats are often bitchy, aloof, and difficult. That is why dudes like them, and only feminine guys tend to associate with them.

by Anonymousreply 5510/12/2013

Cats are for chicks

by Anonymousreply 5612/27/2013

Cats are for people who want their freedom and dogs are for people who want more consistent connection. A dog will sit on the bed with you while you stroll through DL. A cat may or may not.

I like both. If you work long hours at times then a cat will adjust to that best.

My brother and ex both have cats, they enjoy their clownish personalities.

by Anonymousreply 5812/27/2013

r59, are you a 15 year old girl?

by Anonymousreply 6612/28/2013

r65, is that before or after you scoop up kitty's shit treats from her litterbox?

by Anonymousreply 6812/29/2013

d

by Anonymousreply 6907/28/2014

In the past, I've shared my space with cats. Independent, intelligent, non-invasive, non-intrusive, non-clingy. As in, I don't give a fuck about your day, just feed me and fuck off. I might have time a week from Thurs. to let you pet me and show me obeisance.

My kind of companion.

by Anonymousreply 7107/29/2014

What R64 said.

When will you people -- gay people, no less! -- stop saying that certain behaviors are masculine or feminine? Our culture has defined that -- it's certainly not written in stone. And for gays to say such a thing -- surely you know better.

Your stereotypes are showing.

By the way, I had a whippet, and he was fiercely independent -- and a better hunter than any cat I've ever had.

by Anonymousreply 7207/29/2014

Men and women are different. We are not identical biologically, hormonally, psychologically, etc.

Sure, society exaggerates our differences. Soceity devalues feminine characteristics, and overvalues male.

But we are different -- not better or worse than the other, for both sexes contribute to our mutual survival obviously.

by Anonymousreply 7307/29/2014

Being pack animals, dogs are inherently predisposed towards submitting and obeying. Most men like that.

Being solitary predators in the wild, cats neither submit nor obey. Most men don't like that.

Easy.

by Anonymousreply 7407/29/2014

As someone who always thought the same thing I think comedian Jodi Miller makes perfect sense on this issue.

by Anonymousreply 7507/29/2014

I prefer cats. If I wanted a whingy, whiney, dependent being that's going to be up my ass making demands, I would have partnered or married.

by Anonymousreply 7607/29/2014

r19 uhm I thought it was die katze or der katz depending on the cat's gender. I mean it's not a sexless object that have been given a grammatical gender like is commonly done in Romance Languages (for instance "the sea" is feminine in French and masculine in Italian - la mer, il mare).

by Anonymousreply 7707/29/2014

Just like sports are for straights and musicals are for AIDS infested 'mos.

by Anonymousreply 7807/29/2014

When I was a little child, I thought all cats were female and dogs male.

by Anonymousreply 7907/29/2014

Dogs are for dudes

by Anonymousreply 8011/02/2014
Need more help? Click Here.