Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People on the West Coast

Are more evolved than people on the East Coast. There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 3412/28/2012

That's funny OP. I live on the East Coast but have lived on the west coast, and have a place there.

I think the complete opposite is true, based on my experience of actually living on both coasts.

by Anonymousreply 104/29/2010

Be a middle coaster.

by Anonymousreply 204/29/2010

People on the East Coast are weird and repressed.

by Anonymousreply 304/29/2010

I've lived on both coasts:

People on the West Coast are less traditional and perhaps opens to different ideas. However, people on the East Coast are more intellectual.

So, I'll leave it up for discussion as to who is more evolved.

by Anonymousreply 404/29/2010

I've devolved since the time of Devo.

by Anonymousreply 504/29/2010

Is it the extra opposable thumbs that give them away?

by Anonymousreply 604/29/2010

There is nothing remotely "intellectual" about the East. Of course the west doesn't exactly celebrate the brain either. Every objective measure shows that Minnesota is the only US state where people apply thinking to life as much as they do in Europe, for good or ill. The rest of the country celebrates ignorance the way they would a cure for cancer. But the western mind is more open and they are doers.

by Anonymousreply 704/29/2010

R5's hard hat affectation gives him away. You are from Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 804/29/2010

[quote] Every objective measure shows that Minnesota is the only US state where people apply thinking to life as much as they do in Europe, for good or ill.

That's interesting. Where can I read about these objective measures?

by Anonymousreply 904/29/2010

I totally agree. There is something about the Hudson that makes me feel...ALIVE! Whenever I HAVE to travel back near the East River, I feel provincial and dated and, like, I have to say, "Yay, Williamsburg is just across the way, and it's so damn cool."

by Anonymousreply 1004/29/2010

The people in California mudered a lot of Native Americans in getting there.

by Anonymousreply 1104/29/2010

Honey, no matter how evolved you think they are, they will always be three hours behind.

by Anonymousreply 1204/29/2010

Can a coast that begot the future Mensa member cast of The Hills truly be called evolved?

by Anonymousreply 1304/29/2010

Yhat's very true. The Gossip Girl cast is much more evolved.

by Anonymousreply 1404/29/2010

Define 'evolved', OP.

I think the people on the west coast are more progressive and open minded, but not necessarily more intelligent. I also think they often have a warped sense of priorities and can come across as egotistical and overly self involved. Superficial would also describe many of them.

Though many east coasters are not as progressive nor open minded, they've found a way of life that works for them and have stuck to it for generations. Save NYC, there is less emphasis on outward appearances. Weight is not such an obsession, nor is tanning or latest fashions. I've encountered many intellects - avid readers. I would describe them as more grounded, more fiscally responsible, but less humorous and entertaining.

These are just differences I've notices between the two coasts.

by Anonymousreply 1504/29/2010

I've always found that they are constantly at least 3 hours behind.

by Anonymousreply 1604/29/2010

I have lived in each of the 50 states and I find, people are the same in every state. The mix might be a little different, but the ingredients are the same. It's all one big strip mall with blinking traffic lights.

I know we thrive on finding what is different, but these silly comments on east, west, north, south and central differences are flawed and absurd.

by Anonymousreply 1704/29/2010

Evolved=self-obsessed and vapid.

by Anonymousreply 1804/29/2010

"People on the West Coast are less traditional and perhaps opens to different ideas. However, people on the East Coast are more intellectual."

We agree.

by Anonymousreply 1904/29/2010

"I have lived in each of the 50 states"

Hoo-boy, just one step ahead of the law, eh?

by Anonymousreply 2004/29/2010

Hee @R20

by Anonymousreply 2104/29/2010

People in the South are humorous and entertaining. People in the West take themselves very seriously. When they tell you about their auras and such, they expect that you will not laugh.

by Anonymousreply 2204/29/2010

There is no Jersey Shore here.

On the other hand, we have the Governator and his first lady, Madam.

Sadly, Wayland Flowers passed away in the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 2304/29/2010

You all realize the West Coast consists of more than LA, right? I don't think it's fair to call Seattle, Portland, SF vapid and solely interested in tanning and The Hills.

by Anonymousreply 2404/30/2010

I agree OP, but it's what they've evolved into that worries the rest of the world. Certainly one of their biggest problems is that most of them have lost massive amounts of brain matter which has been replaced by air.

by Anonymousreply 2504/30/2010

I have lived in Los Angeles, New York and Toronto. I've also been all over North America.

Canadians are more evolved that Americans. There I said it.

by Anonymousreply 2604/30/2010

[quote]I think the people on the west coast are more progressive and open minded,

Cough Prop 8 Cough

by Anonymousreply 2704/30/2010

People who live near the ocean shore are more often than not open to thinking a little more freely than people who live farther inland. That's on any coast, not just the west coast. It's simply that seaside living attracts people with a different mindset and people who live on or very near the shore are usually somewhat more affluent and more educated due to the increased costs of buying property there.

Some of the most tightassed people I've ever met lived in California, but they live in the central valley. Hell, even in Los Angeles you find a tremendous difference in attitude from people who live in the city as opposed to those who live right on the coastline.

by Anonymousreply 2804/30/2010

"People who live near the ocean shore are more often than not open to thinking a little more freely than people who live farther inland. That's on any coast, not just the west coast. It's simply that seaside living attracts people with a different mindset and people who live on or very near the shore are usually somewhat more affluent and more educated due to the increased costs of buying property there."

Been to Howard Beach much?

by Anonymousreply 2904/30/2010

R29, you can hardly include NYC area beaches in R28's scenario. NYC has devolved into nothing but the rich and the poor. The rich head out to The Hamptons and the poor head out to Howard Beach. And sadly, what middle class there is left in NYC stay at home because they can't afford The Hamptons and think they're too good to be seen with the trash at Howard Beach.

by Anonymousreply 3004/30/2010

Is there a West Coast?

by Anonymousreply 3104/30/2010

Silly argument, especially when we have the state of Texas to disparage.

by Anonymousreply 3204/30/2010

The west coast is a figment of our imagination.

by Anonymousreply 3305/01/2010

Weigh it for yourself honey

by Anonymousreply 3412/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.