Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Oxycontin and Vicodin as recreational drugs

Can someone explain what kind of high these drugs give. Aren't they used as pain killers? What kind of buzz does a pain killer provide, and yes, I am naive. I understand weed. I understand coke. I understand tina. I don't understand oxy and vic.

by Anonymousreply 5911/14/2014

I think it's the feeling of "comfort".

When I take a painkiller, I get a gradual sense of comfort all over my body, maybe a bit of a tingle, and definitely a care-free attitude. It's fun to watch Dynasty or something when on them. The fuzzy and fabulous 80's feels like home.

But, my experiences are limited to post-surgery situations. So, maybe the comfort is part of the 'escape from actual pain' you get.

I can't imagine willingly taking them to feel high. Two glasses of wine gets me almost to the same place.

by Anonymousreply 404/28/2010

After major surgery I had a prescription for Oxycontin. I took it for a week and then decided just to tough it out with over-the-counter stuff. On Oxycontin I couldn't concentrate enough to read even a paragraph of a novel/magazine/newspaper or follow the plot of a TV show. Also, I was itchy and sleepy. I honestly don't understand the kick of a drug that makes you stupid, itchy and zonked.

by Anonymousreply 504/28/2010

I love Vicodin but I can only take it for a short time as I have a reaction to it (Itching skin, nausea, and constipation). However, before all this sets in I love the mellow way it makes me feel. I smoked some Opium once and it had much the same effect.

by Anonymousreply 804/28/2010

So are they highly addictive?

by Anonymousreply 904/28/2010

Vicodin most definitely gives me a euphoric feeling, but I know plenty of people for whom it has no pleasurable effect. I don't get nauseous on it, but like R8 the itching skin and constipation are irritating side effects I get.

by Anonymousreply 1104/28/2010

We love them both on the UWS!

by Anonymousreply 1204/28/2010

My doc prescribed Vicodin for my thrombosed 'roid pain. Taking 2 pills didn't do a damn thing for the pain, and didn't make me feel any better. So, she upgraded me to Percocet (same active ingredients, only stronger). 2 pills moderated the pain, but didn't kill it entirely. No euphoria or mellowness, either, damn it.

But IV morphine in the hospital? Oh, Lordy, that was just wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 1304/28/2010

I have taken Percocet for almost two years now for some incredibly bad discs and back from a car accident. I have been scheduled for surgery in May, replacing the discs with rods, etc. I wonder since I'm now kind of used to the percs (they still help me ignore the pain, but no buzz)what help I will get after this surgery. I do not want to develop an oxy habit, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 1404/28/2010

I meant to say 'neck discs'.

by Anonymousreply 1504/28/2010

R14, percocet contains oxycodone. It's a combination of oxycodone and tylenols, so if you're worried about an "oxy habit" talk to your doctor about taking something else.

by Anonymousreply 1604/28/2010

They both make me terribly dizzy, then I puke.

by Anonymousreply 1704/28/2010

You were not given Oxycontin, R5, you were given Oxycodone.Oxycontin is for chronic, longterm pain. Oxycodone is for relief of the acute, short-term pain from surgery. It is very difficult to get an Oxycontin prescription unless your pain is at least of several months duration and not expected to go away soon. Many people make the mistake of claiming they were on Oxycontin. You have to look closely at the vial. It's Oxycodone. One is longterm, one is short term. A week is not longterm and surgical pain is acute, not chronic. My mother kept insisting my uncle was taking oxycontin for pain every four hours. I told her that was impossible -- you cannot take oxycontin every four hours. I told her totake the vial and write down the letters herself, then read me back the letters. Every time, she said "oxycontin" and every time she spelled out o-x-y-c-o-d-o-n-e. People are just so used to hearing "oxycontin," thanks to people like Rush Limbaugh, that they don't read the whole word carefully.

by Anonymousreply 1804/28/2010

Kids' stuff.

No, I mean literally.

by Anonymousreply 1904/28/2010

R18-

Oxycodone minus the acetmenophin(sp) is oxycontin.

Google it.

by Anonymousreply 2004/29/2010

the euphoric effect from opiates isn't as pronounced when they are actually used for pain. recreationally, for me it is a tingly, relaxed sensation. but, i've only had that rxn 3 or 4 times and off 1/2 a 5mg perc. i have no tolerance for opiates and puke easily.

by Anonymousreply 2104/29/2010

R20? Oxycodone does not contain tylenol. Oxycodone plus acetaminophen contains tylenol and that is often abbreviated as "Oxycodone APAP." If you are taking Oxycodone APAP, then you are taking oxycodone with thylenol in it.

[bold] Oxycontin [/bold] is time-released oxycodone. It comes in larger doses than oxycodone and is taken fewer times a day than oxycodone. The "contin" in "oxycontin" stands for "continuous." It continuously releases oxycodone into the bloodstream, for 8-12 hours, rather than the 4 hours it takes for oxycodone to wear off.

"The controlled-release product, OxyContin®, has a longer duration of action (8-12 hours)."

"The large amount of oxycodone (10 to 80 mg) present in controlled release formulations (OxyContin®) renders these products highly attractive to opioid abusers and doctor-shoppers. They are abused either as intact tablets or by crushing or chewing the tablet and then swallowing, snorting or injecting."

I'll save you the trouble of googling by providing you a link to the DEA, the government agency which has given me a number which allows me to prescribe oxycodone and oxycontin.

by Anonymousreply 2204/29/2010

Kidney Stone King here and they give you the good stuff. Dilaudid is pretty amazing, but I agree the rest give you a nice buzz but nothing like X.

by Anonymousreply 2304/29/2010

Sometimes I think meds have different affects on different people. My sister is a tiny 5foot 2 in and Lortab doesn't affect her at all. I'm 6 ft 2 inches and I can't stand up when I've taken Lortab. Isn't that odd ?

by Anonymousreply 2404/29/2010

Norco and some Irish whiskey, the perfect end to a crappy day.

by Anonymousreply 2504/29/2010

Kidney Stone King, the best medication for kidney stones is an anti-inflammatory called Toradol, given by injection. Unfortunately, you can only take Toradol for a short period of time before it can have bad side effects. It's not given for more than 3 days and you have to be in a hospital or doctor's office to get it. But it takes away the pain in a flash and doesn't have the narcotic side effects.

by Anonymousreply 2604/29/2010

Toradol may work after you knock the pain down with a narcotic. I am telling you it is useless on its own and I have passed 72 stones (from 18 years old to about 40), had lithotripsy 11 times, and before that was available spent weeks at a time in a hospital on an IV drip with a morphine pump.

Toradal is what they give alcoholics and drug addicts who cannot have narcotics. It does not knock down level 9-10 pain.

by Anonymousreply 2704/29/2010

I have had friends and my brother the surgeon tell me what you say about Toradol, R26, but I have taken it in kidney stone treatment and R27 is right.

by Anonymousreply 2804/29/2010

R4 is right about the effects of oxycontin and vicodin, at least as far as my experience with it is concerned. I took it for about 4 years for a majorly messed up back. At first I took it like I should. Then I started to hear about people getting high from it by crushing the pills, so of course stupid me had to try that. Spent a lot of time in hell because of that decision. Anyway, it does make you feel kind of "I don't give a fuck about anything" kind of happy and floaty.

by Anonymousreply 2904/29/2010

They give Toradol for kidney stones? The biggest risk of taking Toradol is damage to the kidneys (that's why the doses are always limited and only given if your BUN and creatinine levels are good). I just wonder what the thinking is on that.

It's an NSAID, so it's not great for high pain levels. It helps with the inflammation and it's related pain, so it has it's uses.

by Anonymousreply 3004/29/2010

I remember getting excited because after some dental surgery I was given vicodin. I did not get any special feeling until I drank a couple glasses of wine.

What a let down.

by Anonymousreply 3104/29/2010

I have arthritis and take similar drugs for pain sometimes. It's not a euphoria but a very mellow, warm feeling. Like slipping into a hot bath. Hard to explain but the drugs make me feel verrrry nice!

by Anonymousreply 3204/29/2010

I used to mix them 50/50 with cocaine.....you were alert but not twitchy

by Anonymousreply 3304/29/2010

I think r2 hit the nail on the head. Opiates are not feel-good party drugs, they just numb you up. Until you're habituated to them, and then taking them serves no purpose at all except to keep you from going through withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 3404/29/2010

Kidney stones only damage the kidneys and cause renal failure if they are untreated. Anyone with a normal BUN and creatinine can get Toradol for kidney stone pain. It's widely given for stone pain in ERs.

by Anonymousreply 3504/29/2010

I've never really had experience with pain meds except when I had oral surgery. The doctor gave me IV Demerol and Valium.

I can honestly say I have never felt anything so wonderful. I could definitely see why people become IV drug users if it feels like that.

by Anonymousreply 3604/29/2010

I just took a 750 V with a Belvedere chaser. Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 3704/29/2010

Oh, IV Demerol is fucking great!

by Anonymousreply 3804/29/2010

Heaven is: a Premium Economy seat on a coast-to-coast Virgin America flight; next to the window; blanket pulled up to your neck; pop two vikes and have two glasses of wine; order up some movies on the screen and float away. Ahhhh.

by Anonymousreply 3904/29/2010

R39, i could have written your post. I had a couple of Lortab left over from surgery. I took them when I had a rare Business class upgrade on a transatlantic flight last summer and it was total, unadulterated bliss.

I'm very glad that I do not have access to these drugs. They'd be very bad for me since they affect me a lot, and in a very pleasurable way. It's interesting that so many people on this thread have a very disengaged feeling about them.

by Anonymousreply 4004/30/2010

Never tried Oxycotin but can't understand how Vicodin can be a recreational drug. Having taken it for pain after a surgery, it makes you feel better and induces a nice, but mild happy feeling. Nothing overly exciting. I can't imagine taking it purposely to get high.

by Anonymousreply 4104/30/2010

I had a junkie relative who finally od'd after many years of use. What they often do is mix benzo's with opiates. It's a euphoric high, but dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 4204/30/2010

What pain med is good for knee pain ?

My knee is killing me and not getting any better. I've done Naprosyn and Ultram without any luck. The doctor switched me to Voltaren and Darvocet and it hasn't helped at all.

This has been going on 3 months and the pain is really wearing me down. I'm on a cane and the pain is unrelenting.

by Anonymousreply 4304/30/2010

I know someone who OD'd on Valium, and died.

Carry on...

by Anonymousreply 4404/30/2010

R40 I am very drug-phobic. I've never taken anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds. I've never even smoked pot (not a principled stance or anything, just haven't). I gave Vicodin a try after I was prescribed it and I really like it, precisely because it's so controllable. You take two with some wine, have a nice floaty feeling for an hour or two, and it's over. I have no desire for them any more than I do a glass of wine after work.

by Anonymousreply 4504/30/2010

Mixing benzos and opiates is incredibly dangerous and accounts for a huge number of accidental overdose deaths. I have been an opiate addict for 15 years, and have worked with IV drug users in a community health setting for 6. Injected, oxycodone is as close as a prescription painkiller can get to the experience of heroin, although the effect is milder and more short-lived. The itching, nausea and vomiting, and disturbed sleep reported above are common side-effects of opiates in people with little to no tolerance. People generally use prescription painkillers recreationally by mixing them with other drugs and alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 4604/30/2010

I realize this post is old but, I just want to clarify for those who might read this. One poster said they are allergic to the vicodin because it makes their skin itch, they have nausea, and constipation. NOT one of those symtoms are allergic reactions to vicodin. My goodness people when you post something please know your sheet or reader beware. I am sure the poster meant well but the itching is a side effect of the narcotic in the vicodin, the constipation is due to the fact the narcotic puts the stomach to sleep and the nausea again, a side effect of the narcotic. Now, when your face swells up like a balloon, you can't breath because your airway has just swelled up and you start getting hives, rashes swelling all over (like from a bee sting) now you are having an allergic reaction. Get your but to the ER so we can get your airway open. If you have benadryl at home and the symtoms I just described happen, take it fast. then get to the ER........

by Anonymousreply 4702/18/2013

I enjoy them but van't sleep while on them, I get kind of wired. I don't feel high-high but feel a little fluffy and content. I also get very chatty.

I definitely prefer pot.

by Anonymousreply 4802/18/2013

I'm not allergic to hydrocodoneAPAP, called Lortab or Vicodin, but it makes me dizzy and nauseous if I lift my head, and makes me sleepy. Then I have vivid dreams which are unpleasant and the dream just keeps happening after I wake up, which is quite frightening. I don't intend to ever take it again. OxycodoneAPAP seems to have no ill effect upon me, but I can't tell if it relieves the pain either.

by Anonymousreply 4902/18/2013

My doctor gave me Oxy for back pain. It made me feel horrible and did nothing for the pain. I can't imagine using it "for fun."

by Anonymousreply 5002/18/2013

Oh, but I have a friend with COPD and it Oxy helps her breathing. I thought maybe it just made her ribs hurt less or something but the doctor said no, Oxy actually helps the breathing of someone with COPD.

by Anonymousreply 5102/18/2013

Who the hell keeps bumping ancient threads? This one was created in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 5202/18/2013

What about methadone? My friend takes it for his back problems.

by Anonymousreply 5302/19/2013

I've had major joint pain for several years and I've taken both plus some other things like tramadol. My doctor insisted I use them because my joints are basically bone grinding on bone with no cartilage left. I had to ask her to take me off them because I hated them so much. She couldn't believe it. I suspect part of it was her wanting me to go back to her for refills. But also so many people visit doctors faking pain just to get these drugs(many sell them)doctors are shocked that anyone with legitimate pain would not want them. I didn't find them particularly addictive. I don't have an addictive personality anyway and don't really understand people who do. I hated the way those drugs made me feel. The whole numbing effect sleepiness doesn't work for me. I like being fully functional and alert even if I'm in a great deal of pain.

by Anonymousreply 5402/19/2013

I had a prescription for Vicodin once and could not wait for the pain to come. I love it. Like a poster upthread said - I had no worries. It was a nice euphoric state.

I wish I had another prescription but I'm not about to try to score any other way.

I also was on percoset after a surgery. It just knocked me out. I didn't know when or where I was and I had the most bizarre dreams

by Anonymousreply 5502/19/2013

R43----cortisone shot

by Anonymousreply 5602/19/2013

All you stupid cunts drinking booze with vicodin really shouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 5702/19/2013

if constipation is a problem, use a fiber therapy product like Metamucil. I use Vicodin occasionally for recreational purposes (bad day, shitty job, etc.) and drinking the fiber therapy product before you take the pills ensures total regularity! No shit!

by Anonymousreply 5811/14/2014

I don't get it either. I got oxy for severe back pain and not only didn't it help the pain but it made me so dizzy and weird feeling I couldn't wait for it to be out of my system. I was afraid to walk to the bathroom fearing I'd fall. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 5911/14/2014
Need more help? Click Here.