Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Getting a Smartphone...

I have been thinking of getting a smart phone, although I can definately get by without one but, I'm wondering if it's worth it to pay the extra money per month to be able to surf the web and use all the apps that you constantly hear about nowadays? How many here have switched from a regular cell phone to a smart phone and are you happy with your decision?

by Anonymousreply 5212/29/2012

iPhone. It is worth it because you can avoid talking on the phone most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 104/27/2010

Happy with my Droid

by Anonymousreply 204/27/2010

If you spend a lot of time surfing the Web, it might be worth the mnney - as you know, it's not cheap. If I didn't need near-round-the-clock Web access, I probably would stick with a plain phone.

They do have some practical purposes, as well as fun ones.

If you decide to get an iPhone, wait till the new ones are out in June or July - you'll get moe for your money.

by Anonymousreply 304/27/2010

When the trackball stops working on a Blackberry it becomes useless.

by Anonymousreply 404/27/2010

I can only speak for myself, but I have a very basic TracPhone, no internet, no texting. I carry it only for emergency purposes, and I have next to no emergencies. I use it so seldom that the battery runs down and I have to charge it ever few months.

I detest the whole notion of texting, I do not like talking on the phone and I do not like peering into a little screen to browse the internet or watch a video.

So, there ya go.

by Anonymousreply 504/27/2010

iPhone. I'd sooner cut off my arm than give it back.

My boyfriend, who hates his work BlackBerry and is cheap, none-the-less has been making rumblings about getting one for himself.

by Anonymousreply 604/27/2010

It depends on how often you're away from a computer and how often you need one. I upgraded recently and, while it's convenient to be able to get my email and check the web for whatever and have a gps in my pocket, I'm unnerved by being plugged in no matter where I am.

by Anonymousreply 704/27/2010

iPhone. It is worth it because you can avoid talking on the phone most of the time.

Can't you do that with any phone?

by Anonymousreply 804/27/2010

It's nice to be able to do things on the web, but it's not what I do the most. I rarely talk on my iPhone; I do a ton of texting.

by Anonymousreply 904/27/2010

Again, we see typing messages taking the place of actual conversation. Jesus H. Christ, will stupidity never end?

by Anonymousreply 1004/27/2010

Why are you posting on a gay chat board instead of convening a salon?

by Anonymousreply 1104/27/2010

Yeah, and I've seen some of these messages:

"Yo, what up?"

"NM."

"Same"

"Wat u up 2 ltr?"

"NM"

"M2"

Such riveting dialogue. Certainly provides some clarity as to why so many people are slaves to their phones.

by Anonymousreply 1204/27/2010

I'm with you , r5. I think we're a rare breed though.

by Anonymousreply 1304/27/2010

Like R5 and R13, I was a pre-paid phone person, who only turned it on to make "I'm running late calls" and had to charge it maybe once every two months.

I hate the phone, do not facebook, etc.

Having said that, I recently became an Exec Dir of a non profit, and work is increasingly dictating the use of smart phones. I use public transit a lot and like to be productive during down times like that.

Last week, I bought the Blackberry curve and am happy w/it. Because I'm not as obsessive w/other networking things, and don't text to my friends, I'm probably not using it to its fullest potential.

Pros: like being able to quickly check emails w/o turning on my computer, which inevitably leads to me wasting hours on teh Internet doing nothing in particular.

Cons: price. I have Sprint unltd option for $69, which is apparently cheap. But w/taxes it comes to $80.

As someone who spent that in a year on my pre-paid phone, it's a new expense I have to work out.

by Anonymousreply 1404/27/2010

Nowdays, non Smartphone are only for old farts and cheapskates.

by Anonymousreply 1504/27/2010

I'm an old fogie who rarely used his phone as well. But I travel quite a bit, so I bought an Iphone and now I have seen the light. I love being able to leave the clunky laptop behind on trips. Love the GPS. (Lost and drunk in Amsterdam at 3am? No Problem!) Love being able to go into most cities and bring up a menu for a restaurant, and make reservations while walking around looking for someplace to eat on a Saturnday night in NYC with friends who are hungry? No problem). Subway and bus maps and timetables, check in for your flight, change your flight. In Chicago waiting on line for a show, my niece was talking about a Youtube video her new boyfriend made that was getting lots of buzz, two minutes later half the line was gathered around my phone looking the video. Lots of great ways to make your life a little easier. Love having phone/Ipod/Camera/e-mail/Surfing object that fits in my pocket.

Ipad 3G? I'm so there!

by Anonymousreply 1604/27/2010

I have the Palm Pre Plus and I adore it.

by Anonymousreply 1704/27/2010

You can get the "Red Laser" price matching app. That alone could save you hundreds.

by Anonymousreply 1804/27/2010

I got a Samsung Impression. It does e-mail and internet but can't really do many apps. Upside though is that the date plan is cheaper. And honestly I don't miss the apps... I can e-mail, facebook, twitter, get directions etc.

by Anonymousreply 1904/27/2010

Just because a lot of "have to keep up with the Joneses" sheep are getting one doesn't mean you have to be a one too, OP. If you have a computer, you don't need of the these ripoffs.

by Anonymousreply 2004/27/2010

[quote]definately

Can you get one with spell check?

by Anonymousreply 2104/27/2010

I love carrying a computer in my pocket. I'm with 16.

People who don't like smartphones are like people who didn't like Avatar in 3-D.

Norma Desmond people.

by Anonymousreply 2204/27/2010

I have 2 smartphones (work for a cell phone company). I resisted them for a long time, but now I'm an addict.

I work odd hours so I find it convenient to get my e-mail on my phone. Having access to the web can come in handy for stuff like Google Maps and looking up places to eat when you're in an area you're not familiar with.

I've used Blackberries, Android phone and the iPhone and the iPhone. Found the iPhone the easiest to use, have had no problems with it, but it's also the most expensive. Android phones are way too buggy for me. Put too many apps on the phone and they start freezing up or shutting off by themselves. Blackberries are solid but don't do the web as well as other phones. They do excel at e-mail.

Figure out what you want to do and then find out how much it will cost to add net services to your cell line and decide if it's worth the extra costs.

by Anonymousreply 2304/27/2010

The Droid is able to run multi apps with just as much ease as I can take big sized geek cocks.

To counter R23's concern, the Androids have the Advanced Task Killer that instantly kills the apps you don't want running. My Droid has yet to shut off by itself.

by Anonymousreply 2404/27/2010

I refuse to get an iPhone as I simply cannot justify the cost, and everyone has them which I find quite annoying and conformist.

I currently have a contract with TMobile with a line rental of 4.99 (sterling) including free unlimited internet, so I'm not walking away from that. I employ the second best option: a cheap phone and a ipod touch. I only miss GPS.

Nokia E71s are being reduced significantly at the moment, so that might be worth a looky.

by Anonymousreply 2504/28/2010

I have a Blackberry Bold for work and an iPhone for personal use, OP. I love them both. I didn't get a smartphone until last year and I am amazed at just how much I use the extra features. I love them so much more then my old regular cellphones.

by Anonymousreply 2604/28/2010

Love my iPhone; it is extremely useful and has genuinely improved my life. Hell, the map function alone has saved me a number of times, since I ALWAYS manage to go the wrong way.

In addition to the map, today I used:

phone, email, web-surfing, calendar, stickie notes, alarm/timer/countdown, Wikipedia, app, NYTimes, app, USAToday, app, Chase banking app, a budget app, and a chess app.

Could I live without all this stuff on the go, as the snooty R20 sniffs? Sure, but why should I? You can't know what you'll end up using it for until you have one and start exploring the apps store. I don't regret getting mine.

by Anonymousreply 2704/28/2010

Smartphones are for people with no life and so they have to keep themselves entertained somehow.

by Anonymousreply 2804/28/2010

I would pay my Iphone bill before I would pay my utility bill. Can't live with my Iphone.

by Anonymousreply 2904/28/2010

[quote] When the trackball stops working on a Blackberry it becomes useless.

You do know that you can buy replacement trackballs, correct?

by Anonymousreply 3004/28/2010

I can't even begin to tell you how sad that sounds, R29. Sad and, yes, utterly ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3104/28/2010

I am with R5 and R13.

My cell phone is for emergencies only. I do not care to be contacted 24 hours per day nor do I want to play games, Twitter, or surf the Web.

I don't have a problem with others except I wish they would get the FUCK out of the way as the are walking along paying attention to their phones instead of where they are walking.

by Anonymousreply 3204/28/2010

You OLD MARYS with the Tracphone have no business posting on this thread. You ignored the topic and have no helpful advice.

by Anonymousreply 3304/28/2010

I went from having a pay-as-you-go Virgin cheapo phone I bought for $8 and hardly ever used to an iPhone. Why? Because my bf got the original iPhone when it first came out and I got used to using it in the car when I was bored. And got used to looking things up when we were out to dinner and I knew he was wrong about something (Heh. "Oh yeah? Let's see what google has to say about it."). When the 3G went to $99, I couldn't resist. I hopped on a family plan with the bf and now I can't live without my iPhone.

But I still hardly ever use the phone for talking or texting.

by Anonymousreply 3404/28/2010

My stove timer broke and now I use the alarm on my iPhone when cooking. Also use the real-time GPS for traffic to check best route before driving. Use the weather function and the notes.

I've downloaded a few apps but mostly don't use them. I have a lot of medical apps on my iPhone but I am not employed. If I were employed, I would use them a lot, since I started using a PDA for that function in 2000.

by Anonymousreply 3504/28/2010

I don't own a smartphone but Samsung and Motorolas are the easiest and most user-friendly phones I've used. Nokias are pieces of ubershit.

How is it so many of the posters on this thread have iPhones? You can't all have AT&T as a carrier, or are iPhones no longer limited to AT&T? Did you buy an unlocked phone?

by Anonymousreply 3604/28/2010

Smartphones are a real waste of money but, all the lemmings feel that they have to have one now.

by Anonymousreply 3706/28/2010

Or a real money saver. My Droid has now replaced the following things that were on my wishlist: GPS, new guitar tuner, a netbook and a datacard (for when traveling and don't have access to free wifi).

by Anonymousreply 3806/28/2010

Another iPhone user. OP, everyone I know who goes from regular cell phone to a smart phone loves it. Whether its worth the extra money is really up to you. Your question is kind of like asking if people who upgrade from coach to first class like it; of course they do. The relative value of the added expense will vary from person to person, though.

by Anonymousreply 3906/28/2010

You do know that you can buy replacement trackballs, correct?

Verizon replaced it for free.

by Anonymousreply 4006/28/2010

My top 3 priorities are GPS, email, and low cost. %0D %0D Which smart phone should I get?

by Anonymousreply 4106/28/2010

I've been a Palm fan since 2000, and have the Pre now. My Sprint 2-year plan will expire in June 2010. I'll likely switch to an I-phone then if there is another network to use (no AT&T coverage at my home)

by Anonymousreply 4206/28/2010

[quote]I refuse to get an iPhone as I simply cannot justify the cost, and everyone has them which I find quite annoying and conformist.

Except everyone's iPhone is different.

The apps you use, the music you listen to, etc.

No two iPhones are ever alike.

by Anonymousreply 4306/28/2010

[quote]everyone has them which I find quite annoying and conformist%0D %0D Everyone has them because they're fucking awesome and can be configured to your exact taste.

by Anonymousreply 4406/28/2010

[quote]My top 3 priorities are GPS, email, and low cost.

Any of the HTC Android phones, which have a snazzy version of Android personalized for their brand.

My boyfriend got a Palm Pixi Plus when I upgraded my iPhone, and he loves it, though the WiFi is apparently a battery hog.

by Anonymousreply 4506/28/2010

OP, I'm at the same crossroads as you right now, trying to decide if I should get a smart phone or just stick with something more basic. Some of my considerations/misgivings:

-ATT is the exclusive carrier for iphone (unless you're able/willing to pay $800 for an unlocked iphone so you can use it with a different service provider). ATT is fucking *evil*, they lock you into a two year plan and then charge insanely high monthly rates because you've got no other options or recourse. All the iPhone users complain of dropped calls - especially if you live in NYC or San Francisco et al densely populated city center.

However, the iPhone is still the "it" phone/status symbol. If you're already a Mac user you can sync it to your laptop, iPad or iMac desktop. It's slim and light and the new iPhone 4's have cameras on the front so you can make video calls via Skype.

-the rival to the iPhone, the Droid, has several different incarnations, each of which is available exclusively through one of the other major carriers. Verizon offers the Droid Incredible; among other things it features an 8MP res camera (iPhone 4 is only 5MG res). Sprint carries the EVO 4G that's got a 4.3inch screen (iPhone 4 screen is 3.5-inch) and an 8MP res camera and a 1.3MP res front-facing camera. T-Mobile is probably the major carrier with the most flexible, reasonable service plans and through T-Mobile you can buy the Google Nexus One phone, which has comparable specs to the Droids/iPhone (see link).

But which is best? Really hard to say. Depends on what you want. Or what you think you want. Or, really, what the modern day Mad Men can convince you to buy.

-is there any advantage to choosing a regular old cell phone over a smart phone? one issue worth thinking about is radiation levels. the federal legal limit in the US is a SAR rating of 1.6; all the smart phones are creeping up to that number (I think they average about 1.4). there is no conclusive evidence proving that cell phones with higher radiation levels cause an increased risk for brain tumors, but on the other hand, most neurosurgeons won't even use cell phones at all and for my part I think that's pretty significant. in light of that consideration, I'm mulling over the possibility of getting an unlocked Samsung Impression (rated at a very low 0.27 SAR) on eBay and then buying a pay-as-you-go plan through T-Mobile.

It's a tough call. They say that getting a smart phone isn't just like getting a new gadget; it's a new way of life. The converted seem pretty enthusiastic about their decision, but you have to ask yourself if you're ready to pay $200 for a phone (minus car charger, holder, protective case, or blue tooth earpiece) and then commit to a 24-month plan where, after taxes and fees (not to mention the cost of all the apps you'll download), you'll realistically end up shelling out about $100 a month - that's more than $2,500 over two years. And from then on, even if you're not totally satisfied that the benefits justify the costs, it's pretty inevitable that your carrier will talk you into renewing your contract and upgrading to the iPhone 5 or whatever, because at that point you'll tell yourself "but if I downgrade back to a regular phone now I'll lose all my apps and whatnot!" Oy.

Good luck OP.

by Anonymousreply 4606/28/2010

[quote]the rival to the iPhone, the Droid, has several different incarnations, each of which is available exclusively through one of the other major carriers. Verizon offers the Droid Incredible; among other things it features an 8MP res camera (iPhone 4 is only 5MG res). Sprint carries the EVO 4G that's got a 4.3inch screen (iPhone 4 screen is 3.5-inch) and an 8MP res camera and a 1.3MP res front-facing camera. T-Mobile is probably the major carrier with the most flexible, reasonable service plans and through T-Mobile you can buy the Google Nexus One phone, which has comparable specs to the Droids/iPhone (see link).

Quick point of correction "Droid" isn't a phone, it's marketing. Verizon licensed the name (from George Lucas, of course) for use for a line of smartphones that run on Google's open-source Android operating system. The original Droid and the just-announced Droid X are made by Motorola, the current competitor to the iPhone, the Droid Incredible and the now discontinued Droid Eris, are made by HTC.

Ultimately, the difference between the Android phones and the iPhone isn't so much the hardware, it's the software.

by Anonymousreply 4706/28/2010

R19 I have an Impression too and I LOVE and HATE it. Great features and it does what I need and I love having the keyboard and touchscreen.%0D %0D BUT (and it is a huge but) the touchscreen dies every three months or so! I've been to the service center three times and they always replace it with no hassle but it is very irritating. And talking to other people, I know I am not the only one with this issue.%0D %0D OP, yes, get a smartphone. Mine doesn't even do apps, just the basics (internet, e-mail etc) and I cannot remember how I got by with out it. Heck I've used it more times I can count for things other than fun (emails I needed, movie times, directions etc.)

by Anonymousreply 4806/28/2010

Also, the videoconferencing on the i4 isn't through Skype. Apple developed its own software called FaceTime, and at current, it only works between two i4s.

by Anonymousreply 4906/28/2010

If you want an Iphone without the contract, buy one secondhand. Or buy one that's broken, but still under warranty (no broken screen/%0D bleeding lcd/water damage as these void the warranty) and swap it through Apple for a refurb phone. If you don't want AT&T, you can jailbreak it.

by Anonymousreply 5006/28/2010

So does DL work for anyone on a Droid?

by Anonymousreply 5107/02/2010

Did you ever get one?

by Anonymousreply 5212/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.