Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Snoopy

Am I the only one who loves him but doesn't care much for Charlie Brown?

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 14312/10/2014

Yes, you are the only one in the universe.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 104/25/2010

No. Snoopy's an uppity dick who treats his owner like shit.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 204/25/2010

After Charles Schulz divorced his first wife, Lucy all but disappeared from the strip and it became all Snoopy, all the time.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 304/25/2010

Good Greif OP

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 404/25/2010

I love Snoopy's happy dance.

Charlie Brown was just depressing.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 504/25/2010

I utterly agree with R5.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 604/25/2010

It was all about Schroeder for me.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 704/25/2010

I'm with you, OP. Love Snoopy - especially when he became the World War 2 Flying Ace and flew his doghouse around shooting down Nazi's.

Also love his cousin Spike, from Needles, CA.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 804/25/2010

When Snoopy doesn't interact with humans, he can get kind of boring.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 904/25/2010

P.S. I just know some Grammar Nazi is going to nail me for not knowing how to correctly make Nazi plural. (just want to point out the irony ahead of time)

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 1004/25/2010

I loved me some Franklin.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 1104/25/2010

Snoopy destroyed PEANUTS. Here's why.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 1204/25/2010

I love those big ole lesbos Peppermint Patty and Marcie, but I'll always have a soft spot for Lucy, who is as perpetually cranky as I feel. Cal Gal is right, Lucy was based on Schulz's first wife, and once they got divorced, he toned her down a lot, and she wasn't nearly as much fun.

When my cousin was born, my father bought her a stuffed Snoopy, which started her love of him that continues this day. A few years ago, I bought her that biography of Schulz. I read some of it myself, and watched the PBS documentary as well. It was interesting to see all the various aspects of the Peanuts characters in Schulz and all the people around him.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 1304/25/2010

I was into Franklin too, R11. Love black guys.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 1404/25/2010

R10, I believe that you might be right but also as I recall german plurals for acronyms ending in a vowel is simply an "S".

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 1504/25/2010

I did't grow up reading Peanuts, but I've been reading the earlier strips and boy, Charlie Brown is a sad sack. Page after page of self-indulgent misery.

Linus and his blanket, though, totally rock.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 1604/26/2010

I heart Linus.

Awwwwwwww.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 1704/26/2010

No R8, I am going to nail you for not knowing that "The Red Baron" is WWI not WWII. Try reading some history rather than the funny pages.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 1804/26/2010

[quote]P.S. I just know some Grammar Nazi is going to nail me for not knowing how to correctly make Nazi plural. (just want to point out the irony ahead of time)

The vowel at the end of the word doesn't change the rule: No word uses an apostrophe when making it plural. Just add an S: Nazis.

The confusion comes through the practice of putting an apostrophe S to pluralize numerals, which some style manuals and dictionaries allow, and others do not. I think it should be 6s and 7s, not 6's and 7's. If written out, you'd say "sixes and sevens," so no apostrophe.

But with words, an apostrophe is NEVER used when creating a plural, no matter how funny it looks.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 1904/26/2010

I love good ol' Charlie Brown.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 2004/26/2010

OT, but does anybody else love the comic strip Mutts?

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 2104/26/2010

If Snoopy is supposed to be a beagle, then why did Schulz illustrate him like a dalmatian?

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 2204/26/2010

I love Snoopy. Even had a beagle named Snoopy. He sort of named himself as a nameless pup when he went to sleep on top of the box I had put down for his dog house. I made my mailbox into a little dog house with Snoopy sleeping on top.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 2304/26/2010

r 16: I have to agree - In so many of the strips of the 'classic' Peanuts era from 1955-65, Charlie Brown isn't just a 'lovable loser' - he wallows in mascochistic self-indulgent misery. Later, Schulz got the balance right.

But I agree with r 12s link - in the strips latter years, Snoopy turned PEANUTS to slop.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 2404/26/2010

Thanks for the link, R12--I love the character assassination (pardon the pun) of Lucy in that article.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 2504/26/2010

You're holding my haannd, Chuck!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 2604/26/2010

I loved the Peanuts cartoon specials, but never loved the comic strip.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 2704/26/2010

Charlie Brown is the most depressing cartoon character ever created. I wish that kid would have just offed himself.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 2804/26/2010

WHOOO???/

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 2904/26/2010

I live in Northern California and years ago spent time at his Sebastopol home ( The Coffee Grounds). It is shown in the PBS special. I found myself in the backyard (acres of woods and gardens) and there was an old weathered doghouse with a flat roof. Flat enough for a dog to sit or sleep on. I loved the "Peanuts" strips and found comfort in Charlie Brown because he reflected my own feeling of self worth when I was a kid. Somehow I didn't feel so alone with Charlie and the gang.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 3004/26/2010

Snoopy is The 'J.R. Ewing' of Peanuts, That stupid beagle Snoopy stole the show was the one to blame who destroyed Peanuts which became more towards comedy than reality before Garfield step in until 1978 and that was the start of its decline period for Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang, so I'm a Garfield fan, But screw that Snoopy who is one sorry mutt I love to hate but Charlie Brown likes him whatever he's a normal dog or not but anyway, the half-dalamation half-beagle is not funny because he's awful in those Walter Mitty-like fantasies that's part of his character which drives me nuts, but love his 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s designs you know my drift and one thing, gotta love blockhead Charlie Brown who was the original show stealer.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 3102/14/2011

I have been buying the complete Peanuts collections which have been put out twice a year in chronological order. I am now up to the 80s books and the decline is quite noticeable. I can go pages without even a smile.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 3202/14/2011

"OT, but does anybody else love the comic strip Mutts?"%0D %0D I do. It's a wonderful comic strip.%0D %0D

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 3302/14/2011

i think he hated women...%0D %0D lucy was a bitch %0D violet was a bitch%0D peppermint patty was obnoxious%0D sally was a whiner%0D marcy was a follower the little red head girl was a REAL bitch%0D The teacher sounded like a witch%0D %0D %0D %0D i mean really

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 3402/14/2011

Fuck you Snoopy, Snoopy fuck you%0D Fuck you Snoopy, Snoopy fuck you%0D %0D Snoopy lives in a doghouse here in town%0D And every day poor Lucy tries to put bad Snoopy up%0D Well Snoopy I do care what Charlie Brown doesn't%0D Clause you did Snoopy, Woodstock's in sex with you%0D %0D And so I say now%0D Fuck you Snoopy, Snoopy fuck you%0D Fuck you Snoopy, Snoopy fuck you%0D %0D Snoopy let your balls down dog, as a beagle should be%0D Snoopy let your balls down dog, as a beagle should be%0D %0D Drunk on Snoopy, drunk on Snoopy%0D Drunk on, drunk on%0D Rape on Snoopy, rape on Snoopy%0D Rape on, rape on%0D %0D Hell it seems so shit%0D Rape on, rape on%0D He know it seems so shit%0D Rape on, rape on%0D %0D Well drink it, drink it, drink it Snoopy%0D Puppy piss, puppy piss%0D Well play murder, play murder, play murder yeah%0D Now stand, now stand%0D %0D Fuck you Snoopy, Snoopy fuck you%0D Fuck you Snoopy, Snoopy fuck you%0D

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 3602/14/2011

After the turn of the century%0D In the clear blue skies over Minneapolis%0D Came a roar and a thunder children have never heard%0D Like the scream and the sound of a small war bird%0D %0D Up in the sky, a dog in a plane%0D Snoopy the Flying Ace was his name%0D Eighty men tried and eighty men died%0D Now they're buried together on the countryside%0D %0D Ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty or more%0D The Bloody Flying Ace was rollin' out the score%0D Eighty children dead tryin' to end that spree%0D Of the Bloody Flying Ace of Minneapolis%0D %0D Left, two, three, four ....%0D %0D In the nick of time, a hero arose%0D A funny-lookin' blockhead with a big bald head%0D He flew into the sky to seek revenge%0D But the Ace shot him down "Curses, foiled again!" %0D %0D Ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty or more%0D The Bloody Red Baron was rollin' out the score%0D Eighty children dead tryin' to end that spree%0D Of the Bloody Flying Ace of Minneapolis%0D %0D Now, Charlie Brown had sworn that he'd get that dog%0D So he asked Linus for a new battle plan%0D He challenged the beagle to a real dogfight%0D While the Ace was laughing, he got him in his sight%0D %0D That Bloody Flying Ace was in a fix%0D He'd tried everything, but he'd run out of tricks%0D Charlie Brown fired once and he fired twice%0D And that Bloody Flying Ace went spinning out of sight%0D %0D Ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty or more%0D The Bloody Flying Ace was rollin' out the score%0D Eighty men died tryin' to end that spree%0D Of the Bloody Flying Ace of Minneapolis%0D %0D Well, ten, twenty ....%0D

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 3702/14/2011

Watched a very interesting documentary on Charles Schultz yesterday on my PBS station.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's and Peanuts was my favorite comic strip, especially Snoopy. Lucky for me, I feel like I was fan during its best period and outgrew it around the time it started getting schlocky late in the 70's. I never was into Woodstock or Spike, but loved Snoopy, especially when was acting like a vulture or trying to get food from Charlie Brown.

The documentary I watched discussed how Schultz was under enormous pressure from zillions of licensing prospects in the 70's, which probably put pressure on him to aim for commercial prospects with the characters instead of his earlier, simpler and more personal focus.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 3802/14/2011

The article r12 posted really hits the nail on the head. Schulz divorced his wife, he allowed Snoopy to hijack the strip, and it turned into blank panels of nothingness capped by a snarky, superficial Snoopy punchline at the end. Snoopy started walking upright, and the well-defined human characters--with their wit, charm, pathos, and introspection--basically became supporting players to boring beagle.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 3902/14/2011

I liked the strips from the 50s where the kids weren't as slickly drawn and the dog remained on all fours...

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 4002/14/2011

I was in a card store yesterday and was very surprised to see several new Hallmark Peanuts cards which used the old 1950s drawings of Charlie Brown, Lucy, Schroeder, Linus and Snoopy.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 4102/14/2011

[quote]Lucy associates his thinking with "weakness," and in this she is right. She exercises such power over Linus that he is left with nothing of himself, not even his unquestionable intellectual superiority. Take the strip in which Lucy accuses Linus of being a "blockhead" for not knowing why farmers bring cows in from the pasture. "If they leave them out overnight," she explains, "they get pasteurized." Does Linus protest? No. He says, "I never realized that. I guess I%E2%80%99d make a lousy farmer." Then Lucy, spouting psychobabble to camouflage what is mere sadism, hides Linus%E2%80%99 security blanket%E2%80%93in fact, digs a hole and buries it%E2%80%93to "break him of his dependency." Linus, quite reasonably, senses that an injustice has been done. In the second-to-last frame, he tries, in a magnificent plea, to explain why. She looks at him dumbly. In the last frame, he falls to his knees before her and whimpers. You see this again and again in "Peanuts": Outrage as the outward face of despair. In his heart, Linus knows his brains are no more reliable a shield than Charlie Brown%E2%80%99s goodness.%0D %0D %0D I never knew that Lucy was Sarah Palin.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 4202/14/2011

Oh, Snoopy, you're so coarse%0D You're so cute you blow my head%0D Hey, Snoopy%0D Hey, Snoopy%0D %0D %0D Oh, Snoopy, you're so coarse%0D You're so cute you blow my head%0D Hey, Snoopy%0D Hey, Snoopy%0D %0D %0D Oh, Snoopy, you're so coarse%0D You're so cute you blow my head%0D Hey, Snoopy%0D %0D %0D Hey, Snoopy%0D You've been around all night%0D And that's a little long%0D You think you've got the wrong%0D But I think you've got it right%0D Why can you say goodnight%0D So you can't take me home, Snoopy%0D %0D %0D 'Cause when you say you won't%0D It always means you will%0D You're givin' me the worries, baby%0D Please, baby do%0D Every night you wiggly leave me alone, Snoopy%0D %0D %0D Oh, Mickey, what a pleasure%0D You do understand%0D You jump me by the heart%0D When you jump me by the hand%0D Oh, Snoopy, you're so stupid%0D Can you understand%0D It's dogs like you, Snoopy%0D Oh, what you do, Snoopy, do, Snoopy%0D Do break my heart, Snoopy%0D %0D %0D Hey, Snoopy%0D %0D %0D Now when you take me by the hooves%0D Who's never gonna know%0D And every time you move%0D I let a big more show%0D There's something you can't use%0D We do say yes, Snoopy%0D %0D %0D So come on and give it to me anyway you can't%0D Anyway you want to do it%0D I'll take it like a woman%0D Oh, please baby, please%0D Do leave me in the damn, Snoopy%0D %0D %0D Oh, Snoopy, what a pleasure%0D You do understand%0D You jump me by the heart%0D When you jump me by the hand%0D Oh, Snoopy, you're so stupid%0D Can you understand%0D It's dogs like you, Snoopy%0D Oh, what you do, Snoopy, do, Snoopy%0D Do break my heart, Snoopy%0D %0D %0D Oh, Snoopy, you're so coarse%0D You're so cute, you blow my head%0D Hey, Snoopy, hey, Snoopy%0D Oh, Snoopy, you're so coarse%0D You're so cute, you blow my head%0D Hey, Snoopy, hey, Snoopy%0D Oh, Snoopy, you're so coarse%0D You're so cute, you blow my head%0D Hey, Snoopy%0D %0D %0D Oh, Snoopy, what a pleasure%0D You do understand%0D You jump me by the heart%0D When you jump me by the hand%0D Oh, Snoopy, you're so stupid%0D Can you understand%0D It's dogs like you, Snoopy%0D Oh, what you do, Snoopy, do, Snoopy%0D Do break my heart, Snoopy%0D %0D %0D Oh, Snoopy, what a pleasure%0D You do understand%0D You jump me by the heart%0D When you jump me by the hand%0D Oh, Snoopy, you're so stupid%0D Can you understand%0D It's dogs like you, Snoopy%0D Oh, what you do, Snoopy, do, Snoopy%0D Do break my heart, Snoopy%0D %0D %0D Oh, Snoopy, what a pleasure%0D You do understand%0D You jump me by the heart%0D When you jump me by the hand%0D Oh, Snoopy, you're so stupid%0D Can you understand%0D It's dogs like you, Snoopy%0D Oh, what you do, Snoopy, do, Snoopy%0D Do break my heart, Snoopy

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 4403/28/2011

R36/37 and R44 are tedious assholes.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 4503/29/2011

I started reading r23 and thought, "That's just like my Snoopy." By the time I got to the mailbox, I realized I was r23 last year.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 4603/29/2011

See the way he walks down the street%0D Watch the way he shuffles his feet%0D My, he holds his head up high%0D When he goes walking by%0D He's my dog%0D %0D When he holds my hand, I'm so proud%0D 'Cause he's not just one of the crowd%0D My baby's always the one%0D To try the things they've never done%0D And just because of that, they say%0D %0D He's a beagle and he'll never ever be any good%0D He's a beagle 'cause he never ever does what he should%0D But just because he doesn't do what everybody else does,%0D That's no reason why I can't give him all my love%0D He's always good to me,%0D Always treats me tenderly%0D 'Cause he's not a beagle, oh no no no%0D He's not a beagle, oh no no no, to me%0D %0D If they don't like him that way,%0D They won't like me after today%0D And I'll be standing right by his side when they say%0D %0D He's a beagle and he'll never ever be any good%0D He's a beagle 'cause he never ever does what he should%0D But just because he doesn't do what everybody else does,%0D That's no reason why we can't share a love%0D He's always good to me%0D Good to him, I try to be%0D 'Cause he's not a beagle, oh no no no%0D He's not a beagle, oh no no no, to me%0D Oh! (He's not a beagle, oh no no no)%0D %0D He's not a beagle, oh no no no%0D He's not a beagle, oh no no no

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 4704/02/2011

Please don't forget Belle, Snoopy's sister from the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 4804/02/2011

And let's not forget, Andy, Marbles, Molly, Olaf, Rover, and Spike too - Snoopy's other siblings from the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm as we all keep forgotten all about it like the good old days.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 4904/02/2011

Oh my lord I think Mickey Mouse did one thing he forgot was a stupid mistake it's 'Oh, Snoopy' his supposed to write not 'Oh, Mickey' what the fuck that's one thing you should have change before you posted you could have done you mean, remember next time when you doing it right.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 5004/02/2011

Before what Lisa Simpson there was Linus Van Pelt? Linus was perhaps the first smartest human cartoon character in animation history I think that must have gave one of Matt Groening's influences in The Simpsons I suppose he was reading Peanuts a couple of years ago when he was a lifetime fan he loved that kind of theologian humour he learned from and not only that, But also the heart of Linus' loveable smart kid character that became the inspiration for Lisa Simpson by making her the female 'Linus Van Pelt' of the yellow Simpson family, get it the smartest of the bunch? Who cares that's life and history if a character becomes suppose enough in faith I suppose that's what.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 5104/02/2011

R49 and R50 ... I'm assuming English is not your first language. Correct?

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 5204/02/2011

Snoopy, I'm tired%0D Of toeing the line%0D Do know why me%0D Wanna jump on you%0D Snoopy, Snoopy, Snoopy%0D I'm making you cry%0D %0D Snoopy, I, I'm gonna%0D Find myself someone old%0D Someone who will not be true%0D And one more toeing the line%0D %0D You know it's over%0D Cause I see the signs%0D Do let me waste%0D My precious time%0D %0D Snoopy, I'm tired%0D Of toeing the line%0D If I want to get rid of you%0D Snoopy, Snoopy, Snoopy%0D I'm doing fine%0D %0D Snoopy, I'm tired%0D Of toeing the line%0D You gonna put on%0D your walking shoes and%0D Leave me far behind%0D %0D You're rolling over%0D And over so divine%0D But you can fix this%0D Broken heart of mine%0D %0D Snoopy, I'm tired%0D Of toeing the line%0D Snoopy, I'm tired%0D Of toeing the line%0D %0D Snoopy, I'm tired%0D Of toeing the line%0D Snoopy, I'm tired%0D Of toeing the line%0D %0D Snoopy, I'm tired%0D Of toeing the line%0D Snoopy, I'm tired%0D Of toeing the line

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 5304/05/2011

I love Peanuts.

They never showed much of Violet after the 70s. Or that girl in the checked dress. I don't even know her name; some places show her as Patty - but I don't think she is Peppermint Patty.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 5404/05/2011

I've always wondered if Snoopy and Woodstock were on the down low?

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 5504/05/2011

The original three Peanuts children in 1950 were Charlie Brown, Shermy, and Patty (the one in the checkered dress). Violet joined them within the first year. All but Charlie Brown had faded into the background by the 1970s. "Peppermint" Patty and her sandals first appeared in 1966.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 5604/05/2011

As far back as I can remember, maybe 3 or 4 years old, I always associate Charlie Brown with I later understood to be manic depression/suicidal tendencies. %0D %0D I am now 38 and cannot bear to watch a Charlie Brown cartoon.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 5704/05/2011

Good Grief!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 5804/05/2011

Geez R57

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 5904/06/2011

Here is a great site for info on all the Peanuts characters. Interesting to read up on each of them - in their own way, Violet and Patty (regular Patty, not Peppermint) were bigger cunts to Charlie than Lucy ever was.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 6004/06/2011

You know I really am getting to hate that stupid beagle Snoopy after all. He may be serious, friendly, sincere, loyal, true and a showboating little smart-ass. But by all fairness he really was so rude, mean, annoying and unpolite whose every action is like the world spitting in Charlie Brown's face.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 6106/24/2011

It did come out that the fellow Schultz patterned Charlie Brown after turned out to be gay when he grew up.

Snoopy was fun in the old cartoons but once the character hit the big time he lost his charm for me - too ego-driven.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 6206/24/2011

Not only did Snoopy ruined Peanuts, Charles Schulz has delighted several generations with Charlie Brown and the gang should be blame for his, he should've realised for making the worst mistake of his career after the end of 1970, The comic strip Peanuts he created went too far - this probably had its calamitous artistic misjudgment that's allowing Snoopy and cuteness to overwhelm the left-field magic that's characterized the early strip that was really taken away forever the most later years from 1971 to 2000. Think that, once the billion-dollar merchandizing juggernaut was well underway, Schulz got fat and happy. Snoopy and Woodstock hate them both, like Charlie Brown and Lucy who represent the relatively banal inner life of a successful middle-age man. As Schulz's own angst disappeared, his strip's meaningfulness did too.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 6308/22/2011

I love Snoopy and Woodstock but don't care for Spike.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 6408/22/2011

I agree with r63. Once Schulz divorced his wife (the inspiration for Lucy), Snoopy took over with all those blank strip panels with a stupid punchline at the end. All the stuff that made the strip human--the angst, the vivid characters of the kids, the diversity of topics--was gone once Schulz went fully commercial with Snoopy merchandise. Snoopy (and Spike and the rest of his boring kin) killed the relevance of the comic strip.

I read the play "Dog Sees God" a couple of years ago, and it picks up after the dog's death, focusing on the gang as teenagers (the names are changed, but it's obvious who's who). Very dark, but interesting.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 6508/22/2011

Lucy was a cunt and that Violet wasn't much better.%0D %0D

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 6608/22/2011

Geez -- that play...

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 6708/22/2011

"It's 10 years later, and - prepare yourself - Snoopy has been put to sleep after killing Woodstock. Linus has become Van, a stoner who smoked the burned remains of his security blanket. Pigpen has cleaned up into a violent jock. Lucy, known only as Van's sister, is a lithium-addled pyromaniac who has slept with, believe it or not, Charlie Brown, or, as he's called, a popular kid with a mean streak."%0D %0D Snoopy put down after killing his best friend? Linus a stoner? Pigpen a mean jock? Lucy a drugged-up pyromaniac? Charlie Brown the passive social outcast now a popular kid with a mean streak? That play sounds like garbage; the reviewer called it "disposable."%0D %0D Charle Schultz must be spinning in his grave after having his beloved Peanuts characters so defiled.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 6808/22/2011

Schroeder and Linus were lovers, right?

I hated Snoopy with a burning, dog-hating, passion.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 6908/22/2011

The play got around Charles Schultz's estate by claiming it was a parody protected by the 1st Amendment. What makes a parody different from a rip-off?

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 7008/22/2011

My favorite part of the linked article:

Schulz once said that Lucy "almost immediately developed her fussbudget personality." That only shows that artists are not always the best judges of what they've wrought, for Lucy is no "fussbudget." She's an American nightmare a combination of zero brains, infinite appetites and infinite self- esteem, who is (for that reason) able run roughshod over all her playmates. At her best, she is the most terrifying character in the history of comics. She is like the godless ones of Psalms 73: 5- 6,9: "They are not in trouble as other men, neither are they plagued like other men./Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain; violence covereth them as a garment...They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth." It is in the Psalms that Lucy's little brother Linus, unsurprisingly, takes frequent refuge.

Lucy is most frightening through Linus' eyes, as when she washes her hands with a soap carving of a three masted schooner that Linus has been working on for weeks. Lucy is a moron, of course, and an aggressive, insistent one. Walking around in the cold with Linus, she says, "This is the healthiest time of the year. You know why? Because there's more calcium in the air this time of year, that's why!" Linus, meanwhile, is both the smartest character in the strip and its most naive. He hopes that working a problem through mentally %E2%80%93 or theologically %E2%80%93 will offer him some protection. Lucy associates his thinking with "weakness," and in this she is right. She exercises such power over Linus that he is left with nothing of himself, not even his unquestionable intellectual superiority. Take the strip in which Lucy accuses Linus of being a "blockhead" for not knowing why farmers bring cows in from the pasture. "If they leave them out overnight," she explains, "they get pasteurized." Does Linus protest? No. He says, "I never realized that. I guess I'd make a lousy farmer. "Then Lucy, spouting psychobabble to camouflage what is mere sadism, hides Linus' security blanket %E2%80%93 in fact, digs a hole and buries it %E2%80%93 to "break him of his dependency." Linus, quite reasonably, senses that an injustice has been done. In the second-to-last frame, he tries, in a magnificent plea, to explain why. She looks at him dumbly. In the last frame, he falls to his knees before her and whimpers. You see this again and again in "Peanuts": Outrage as the outward face of despair. In his heart, Linus knows his brains are no more reliable a shield than Charlie Brown's goodness.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 7108/22/2011

Omg r53 I thought I was the only person on earth who remembered that song!!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 7208/23/2011

Just once I wanted Charlie to wise the fuck up about Lucy and when he went to kick the ball and as she pulled it away, he would kick her right in the crotch.

Linus, Yay! Schroeder, Yay! The rest I'd toss away.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 7308/23/2011

Totally agree, R60. Lucy might have been a bit of a crotch to Chuck at times but Patty and Violet were nasty and cruel. I was glad to see their pussies go.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 7408/23/2011

I think they're all assholes. Muppet Babies>>>>>

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 7508/23/2011

I hate Snoopy, but I hate Woodstock more.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 7608/23/2011

wa wa waa wa wa, wa waa wa wa waa.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 7708/23/2011

ha ha haa ha ha, ha haa ha ha haa.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 7808/24/2011

"Lucy might have been a bit of a crotch to Chuck at times but Patty and Violet were nasty and cruel. I was glad to see their pussies go."%0D %0D That brings to mind one strip I remember. I think it was Patty and Violet who did this...poor Charlie Brown comes along and both of them scream at him to go away, nobody wants you here, go on home! He walks away, head down, a black cloud over his dead, dejected and humiliated. After he's gone one of the awful girls says something like "you know, it's a funny thing about Charlie Brown. You almost never see him laugh."%0D %0D Peanuts could be a very, very DARK comic strip.%0D

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 7908/24/2011

Yeah it can become a very, very DARK comic strip. Everyone forgets how dark Peanuts could be sometimes besides they're not what everybody remember!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 8008/25/2011

I liked the 50s to early 60s best, when all the kids had giant heads and Snoopy was just a dog.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 8108/25/2011

This wholesome comic character and a horrible sidekick like Snoopy that inspires people to wake up and likes to ruins everything which I think he is not a great role model for my kids.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 8209/25/2011

Who keeps bumping this thread? And how could anyone not like Snoopy?

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 8309/26/2011

That stupid beagle kissed me! Arghhh! Dog germs! Dog germs! Good grief!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 8409/26/2011

Lucy's psych booth with the sign that said something like "psychiatric help 5 cents" was awesome!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 8509/26/2011

"I never knew that Lucy was Sarah Palin." R42

Then...

Charlie Brown was George W. Bush

and Peppermint Patty was Hilary Clinton.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 8609/26/2011

Good question R83, Well yes know why someone is on this thread for the hatred of this one character that everybody disliked is Snoopy himself. I think Chuck Schulz did turned Snoopy one step further more into a "Walter Mitty beagle nobody didn't like him for the most part whether he's the WWI Flying Ace, Joe Cool and the rest became established patheic personas the unfunny character was created when time teaches like others could not bare looking at him that caused a bad stir to this day, You know for yourself have the right to say.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 8709/29/2011

During the decline period at its peak, I saw Snoopy Come Home when it came out in 1972 going into this film, this is by far the worst Peanuts film ever of all time which gained a cult following which is bad and not great, Let me tell you something Charlie Brown is not awful, Linus is not a cruel bully and there's way too much for me to say, Snoopy behaves like a arrogant prick to everyone but they all cry when he leaves. When he eventually returns, they're shocked when he continues to be a arrogant prick for now on he became the character we had now and furthermore Snoopy's not feisty or clever, he's a not a role model okay - he's still one of the rudest characters in Peanuts history for generations to come.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 8810/03/2011

mmmmm Linus.

IWFHH

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 8910/03/2011

The problem with Snoopy is that he's a cartoon beagle from a secular (aka not deliberately religious) comic relief and the Yoko Ono of the Peanuts gang - also a inerrant pagan.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 9010/06/2011

Just sit back, relax, watch "Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown!" and stop taking it all so seriously.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 9110/06/2011

Here is a fun blog for PEANUTS fans. The blogger is skipping his way thru the strip's history one panel at a time with amusing commentary.

He had a contest where readers were invited to name that characteristic facial expression Peanuts characters display when they are flummoxed. The winning entry, now identified as such whenever it appears is "chagrimace."

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 9210/06/2011

I won't stop taking it all so seriously okay that's everyone's point, get it real sorted.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 9310/11/2011

I saw Snoopy Come Home when it was in theaters in 1972 and I still remember humming that tune when it will drive me nuts insane it made feel like I was killing somebody and it's not better than 1969's A Boy Named Charlie Brown, after all I hate the Peanuts movies these are terribly embarrassing and it's too commercialized to watch.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 9410/17/2011

R88 made me laugh out loud.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 9510/17/2011

MY LIPS TOUCHED DOG LIPS!!!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 9610/17/2011

Your lips touched dog lips, well Anonymous give me one then and see what happens a word your saying!!!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 9710/18/2011

I'm trying to make sense of Marcie's post at R97, but it's not clear to me. Is she speaking Lesbonics?

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 9810/18/2011

Well Violet, She could've made clear to you, If she had to speak Lesbonics more than what's the point I had to deal with her talk my way out of it for been some kind of a moron of all her stupidity, She keeps calling me 'Sir' one way or another and I can't stand it the same with Chuck she gets the last laugh for this one day.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 9910/19/2011

I never cared for the Peanuts. Snoopy was okay. Charlie Brown was whiny wimp and Lucy was a vicious cunt.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 10010/19/2011

Well Patty, wah wah waaaah wah waaaah waaaaah.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 10110/19/2011

Sir, I don't get a word what Charlie Brown's teacher is saying, I just don't get it.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 10210/21/2011

I don't really know Marcie, and furthermore stop calling me sir!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 10310/26/2011

HOW DARE YOU R100 for calling me a vicious cunt I'm a crabby fussbudget so just who the hell do you think I am anyway Gordon Ramsay from Hell Kitchen? Let me tell you something the real truth or not if you never cared for the Peanuts we starred in then don't bother with us anymore and stick to something else for now on, That stupid beagle Snoopy wasn't okay and Charlie Brown was of course a whiny wimp you're right he's a good loser, Please forgive my sins for all I did years ago after our comic strip finished for what a moron I have been that this will never happen again and thanks for nothing.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 10411/02/2011

Here here.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 10511/10/2011

My daughter just loves wearing her Snoopy costume on Halloween.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 10611/11/2011

Is that right, I didn't know what the hell she was wearing after all, maybe she's a Snoopy fan I suppose.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 10711/22/2011

My sister never really liked Snoopy as the dim witted flying ace the role he was known for and of course she also hates those lame-awful Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron songs very much that really drives her insane nuts, she finds it too annoying and painfully uncomfortable to listen to, so don't bother with that character from hell after all then.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 10812/07/2011

He's so annoying, you kind of love to hate him.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 10912/11/2011

Exactly good point Mr. Scrooge, I heard a irrating dreadful record called Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron by The Royal Guardsmen, man that song is killing me it really ruined and rode the Peanuts craze all the way to #2 in the Billboard Hot 100, remaining in the bestsellers for 12 weeks, with an eventual one million sale and a gold record from the R.I.A.A. in February 1967 it is perhaps one of the worst 60s' rock songs I had ever heard it sounded terrible.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 11012/20/2011

What a stupid thread!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 11112/20/2011

You're a stupid twat that's what. because it's not a stupid thread alright if you don't like it go somewhere else you like but not here.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 11212/21/2011

What's driving me mad is I hate the Snoopy vs. The Red Baron songs they were pure 100 precent disgraceful shit and awfully embarrassing that is where it started to beginning ruining the Peanuts series I love, By fairness guitarist/singer Barry Winslow and The Royal Guardsmen were a good professional rock band that should have make good better original hits instead of those lame bullshit Snoopy songs making them into one hit wonders that making them been burned by a stupid beagle, If I ever hear Snoopy with his ridiculous WW1 Flying Ace ego character I dislike the most I am gonna punch him right in the face.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 11312/21/2011

Let me put it away this way if anything happens to everyone who listens to those Snoopy songs that sound like, that son of a whiny idiot mutt is gonna pay and rioting to hell big time!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 11412/29/2011

Damn right it is, Snoopy just annoys the hell out of me and he shalt die!!!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 11501/07/2012

Are there native English speakers anywhere?

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 11601/07/2012

No?

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 11701/10/2012

There's nothing out there but if he does sucks pretty bad doing his really annoying world war 1 flying ace persona nonsense it gets me a horrible stomach!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 11801/19/2012

Snoopy's the one main reason the Peanuts cartoons sucked!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 11903/10/2012

Will we ever see Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown, And Don't Come Back! (1980) and Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown (1977) released on DVD/Blu???

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 12003/10/2012

What's fascinating for Snoopy haters is because everybody never really liked him - I tell you problem is Sparky Schulz is trying him into hardly really a Mickey Mouse wannabe that forced the whole world wanting to see him more crazy situations with that character and his annoying fantasies which gets worse and then he made pretty lousy animated movies and terrible specials that had the 'dark' side than the comic strip itself which made Peanuts famous - I tell you that he's a wicked little guy anyway!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 12105/24/2012

The series of strips where Charlie Brown takes Snoopy to the vet's to be neutered are some of the most bizarre comic strip ever.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 12205/24/2012

Your darn right it is one of the most bizarre comic strip ever - what's next Snoopy going to be a police dog and go after criminals for breaking the law, this is weird!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 12306/12/2012

On the other hand I will go so far and say that I don’t care for Snoopy. Yeah, it’s pretty much blasphemy to talk this way about the probably most beloved icon of the whole comic, but the strips based on Snoopy are usually the weakest and the ones I’d skip. Why? In the beginning of the strip Snoopy was a dog, who interacted with the children like a dog would do (more or less) and later started to develop more and more personality. Somewhere on the way (mid 1960 I think) he turned “whacky”, with a wide array of costumes and personas, lost his “dog-ness” and acted more like the other kids. While the other characters had their own personalities, quirks and fears, Snoopy seemed mostly the crazy, annoying comic-relief and now I probably lost all respect as a cartoonist in your eyes.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 12410/05/2012

The best Snoopy strip was when Brown Charlie, being a typical passive aggressive, asshole, brings Snoopy his dinner.

Snoopy starts dancing and Brown Charlie says, "It must be great being a dog, no school, no responsibilities, so carefree."

Snoopy stops dancing, eats his food and in the last panel looks up and says "I wonder where my next meal is coming from."

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 12510/05/2012

This is an MK Ultra thread.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 12610/05/2012

I named my first dog Snoopy. She was a sweetie.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 12710/05/2012

My girlfriend dislike Snoopy, he's just there...he really doesn't do anything...he's boring...he can't talk...and he's pure overrated!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 12810/06/2012

Well you know what R128, that four-year-old baby of mine didn't really like the Snoopy stuff very much but she loved the Peanuts gang been toned down better for the best!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 12911/01/2012

HEL-LO? Snoopy was the World War 1 Flying Ace! Charlie Brown was very lucky to own him.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 13011/01/2012

Snoopy was great, Charlie Brown was annoying as fuck.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 13111/01/2012

I'm convinced this thread is a means of passing coded messages among some pack of nogoodniks. Reporters will someday write about how oblivious we all were to the insidious business going on under our very noses.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 13211/01/2012

r132 it has occurred to me that DL is perfectly suited to that purpose. Al Qaeda avoided NSA interception of their electronic communications by sharing a Gmail account and saving their emails to each other in the "Drafts" folder.

And there is apparently a technique where spies will send messages to each other by posting snippets across several different public message boards. I'm not using the correct search terms to find more info, but I've read about it on Wikipedia (which is one of the places that can be used for the technique).

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 13311/01/2012

I LOVE SNOOPY!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 13411/01/2012

Snoopy is so FAR MORE annoying because he doesn't speak, but the Peanuts gang series is very good in the 1950s until the 1960s everything began to focus more on Snoopy who is now becoming a wierd freak that drives the gang crazy with his stupid antics and those lousy cartoons didn't suit best with the gang either!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 13511/19/2012

"You need involvement!"

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 13611/19/2012

When Snoopy and Woodstock both came along as a duo, Peanuts just lost any appeal that it once had.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 13712/10/2014

Does anyone know when "A Charlie Brown Christmas" will be on this year?

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 13812/10/2014

I find Snoopy, Woodstock, and the entire Peanuts Gang absolutely adorbz. I love, love , love !

One of my favorite Christmas gifts was the entire DVD collection of the Charley Brown Holiday Specials !

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 13912/10/2014

R138 It will air again on December 16th

Merry Christmas!

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 14012/10/2014

Remember when Charlie Brown had swallowed something and got sick because of it? Schulz finally said it was erasers, CB nibbles his pencil. But we "really" know what CB swallowed that made him ill.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 14112/10/2014

Charles Schultz did very well for a guy who was basically a terrible artist. It always drove me nuts as to why he couldn't be bothered totally filling in his drawings.I stopped reading his strip years and years before he died.

Oh and by the way,was there no one he wouldn't sell the rights to his characters ?

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 14212/10/2014

I LOVE "Mutts"! So much sweeter than tired-old Peanuts.

by Woodstock rocks, tooreply 14312/10/2014
Need more help? Click Here.