Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should Mac and Cheese be creamy or congealed?

You get the creamy kind by just pouring cheese over macaroni. Congealed is baked.

by Anonymousreply 1412/27/2012

I prefer congealed

by Anonymousreply 104/24/2010

Congealed is such a lovely word.

by Anonymousreply 204/24/2010

It is the food of the gods, but only when served creamy and made with Velveeta. Extra points if someone emptied a can of Rotel into it.

by Anonymousreply 304/24/2010

I've never liked mac and cheese ever since I had it in elementary school. It was disgusting then and I just can't get past that memory.

by Anonymousreply 404/24/2010

I maintain a whole foods diet (incl. organic), but Kraft Mac & Cheese is the only exception. I have made M&C from scratch with the best ingredients, and it's just not the same. Kraft's chemical goodness cannot be recreated outside of a lab.

by Anonymousreply 504/24/2010

Kraft Deluxe mac and cheese in the blue box (with the little can of Velveeta cheese sauce) is the ultimate. Throw in the Rotel and bliss out.

by Anonymousreply 604/24/2010

1. You sound fat.

2. Congealed.

by Anonymousreply 704/24/2010

creamy with a crunchy gratineed top.

by Anonymousreply 804/24/2010

I much prefer mine congealed and cooked under the broiler for the last few minutes to get that crust on the top.

by Anonymousreply 904/24/2010

Anyone, ANYONE I SAY, who thinks a boxed Mac & Cheese is worth eating should be taken out and slapped silly in public. The only thing a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese is good for is picking up a dog turd in your from yard.

by Anonymousreply 1004/24/2010

If you think that by throwing a bunch of cheese on some cooked macaroni you'll get "macaroni and cheese", you're wrong.

You need to make a white sauce (bechamel sauce in proper foodie terms) and add cheese to the sauce. Then toss in your cooked macaroni. Then if you like it just creamy, serve it as is (just like the blue box stuff). If you like it congealed, pour it into a baking dish, top it with some bread crumbs and more cheese and bake.

I like both, it depends on how badly I need comfort food at any particular moment.

by Anonymousreply 1104/24/2010

It should be with seven cheeses.

by Anonymousreply 1212/27/2012

Another vote for creamy but served au gratin.

In the south they apparently often use eggs in it. I tried this once but didn't care for the texture at all.

by Anonymousreply 1312/27/2012

I tried a recipe including eggs. I didn't like the texture at all.

by Anonymousreply 1412/27/2012
Need more help? Click Here.