Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Flashback-Peaches Records and Tapes-Were you a customer there?

Peaches set the music industry on its ears when it started out. The Peaches stores began opening in 1976 and at their peak there were approx 35 branches. Part of the Peaches tradition was to have large concrete squares along the sidewalks surrounding their stores. Musicians would be asked to sign and put their handprints into the squares like Mann's Chinese Theater. They sold crates for albums that looked like old peach crates with the Peaches logo on the end labels.They also did brisk business in Peaches logo t-shirts. Peaches went belly up in 1985. Their downfall is they gambled and thought that consumers would not buy a thing called a Compact Disc.

by Anonymousreply 14003/10/2015

In my record collection (have about 500) I've found some inner sleeves (must have been replacements) that are from Peaches and have that logo on them.

by Anonymousreply 204/21/2010

I remember Peaches in Hollywood.....in fact, I still have a Peaches crate...

by Anonymousreply 304/21/2010

I loved Peaches!!! Haven't thought about them in years!! They had a huge back catalogue of albums, back in the when few stores did. And the stores were huge compared to other record stores. Whenever I was in a city that had a Peaches, I'd stop by. Always allotted at least an hour to browse. And, yes, I had a few Peaches record crates. I believe they were based in Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 404/21/2010

I bought many CDs at the one here in Denver. The digital disc wasn't its downfall. It was cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 504/21/2010

I remember Peaches in Atlanta. Totally forgot about them.

by Anonymousreply 604/21/2010

we had one in West Palm Beach that was there into the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 704/21/2010

The highlight of a trip to Atlanta back in 76 was stumbling upon the Peaches there.

So many records to choose from. Couldn't believe the selection compared to Record Bar back home in North Carolina.

by Anonymousreply 804/21/2010

I remember the Denver branch, with huge paintings of singers on the walls. (Sweet Baby James, when he had hair, yum!) It was an early big box concept, a destination rather than just another stop on a trip through the mall. And they had everything, which really meant something in pre-Amazon days.

by Anonymousreply 904/21/2010

I used to go to the one in St. Louis. Did they have one in NYC too?

by Anonymousreply 1004/21/2010

There was one in Dearborn, Michigan and everyone between the ages of 10 and 30 loved to hang out there. Not only was it ten times bigger than any local record shop, but they frequently had singers in for record-signings, something that was seldom done here in the midwest. Another nice aspect is that they were open late (maybe 11:00 PM or even midnights on weekends) at a time when most stores closed at 9:00 PM -- so it was a great place to hang out in the evenings.

I remember being in Peaches one summer afternoon and hearing all Elvis music over the store speakers. I couldn't figure out why they were playing it (Elvis wasn't particularly popular at that time) until I left the store, got in my car, and heard the news on the radio that he had just died.

by Anonymousreply 1104/21/2010

Yes, we had a couple of large Peaches record stores in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in the 70s and early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 1204/21/2010

I used to go to Peaches in Fort Lauderdale. I could spend hours there browsing classical and Broadway records.

by Anonymousreply 1304/21/2010

That's not what I heard about how Peaches closed - the profits of the company disappeared up the owner's nose.

by Anonymousreply 1404/21/2010

The 1976 date is inaccurate, OP.

I used to ditch school and take the bus to Hollywood precisely so that I could visit Peaches. This was in 1974/75.

by Anonymousreply 1504/21/2010

I went to the Peaches in Kansas City every time I headed there for a concert. I loved the place, they had hard to find stuff, which is what I usually listen to, and the people working there knew their music! Unlike the morons working at Best Buy that insist on giving me a blank look every time I ask if they have a certain cd. I had a couple of the crates too, but most of the ones I still have say Sound Warehouse on them.

If r14 is correct, too bad somebody didn't break his fucking nose so he couldn't waste all the profits.

by Anonymousreply 1604/21/2010

If I recall correctly, the Peaches in St. Louis was down on Hampton Avenue, which meant it was quite a trek for this West County boy, since I had to borrow my mom's car. Definitely worth it, though.

In a moment of stupidity, I sold my turntable and all my records at a garage sale in 2000. Along with my Peaches crates. For $50. Have regretted it ever since.

by Anonymousreply 1704/21/2010

There was a Peaches at 75th and Metcalf in Overland Park, Kansas that I adored. When my sister and I were little kids my dad's best friend would load us up in his van and take us out there to buy 12" extended mixes of records. I still have "Disco Duck". I loved going to record stores. There is a Streetside Records in Westport - I may have to stop in there, I haven't bought any new music in forever.

by Anonymousreply 1804/21/2010

Absolutely. I can still see those wooden crates. Overland Park, Kansas was the first store. A second store opened closer to midtown Kansas City on the Kansas side across from KU Med Center too.

by Anonymousreply 1904/21/2010

JohnEric, it's always good to see you posting here again. Hope you show up more often.

by Anonymousreply 2004/21/2010

I miss the used record, CD store Vinyl Exchange that was on Broadway here in Kansas City. It really was a warehouse, now houses offices for nearby St. Luke's Hospital. That place was HUGE and you could find just about anything...LP's that never made it to CD. Great collection of soundtrack and Broadway records dating back to the 40's. Loved going there.

by Anonymousreply 2104/21/2010

Hey Kansas City people, good to see you. We had great record stores: Rock Therapy, Music Exchange, Enormous Horsepower, Recycled Sounds (RIP Anne Winter) and I'm certain more that I am forgetting. One of my most cherished purchases was the 45 of Wendy O. Williams and Lemmy doing STAND BY YOUR MAN that I bought at Rock Therapy.

I always wanted one of those Peaches crates. I cry now because of the memory.

by Anonymousreply 2204/21/2010

The one JohnEric mentioned in Overland Park is the one I went to, it's been so long I forgot exactly where it was.

by Anonymousreply 2304/21/2010

There are some crates for sale on ebay!

by Anonymousreply 2404/21/2010

I went to Peaches record store in Dayton when I was in grade school in the late 1970's. They had records for days.

by Anonymousreply 2504/21/2010

Belly up in 1985?

The one in Colonial Heights, VA lasted until at least 1999.

Also, let us not forget Coconuts and Strawberries record stores!

Remember when Blockbuster opened up a music store? The one near Magic Mountain didn't last any time at all.

by Anonymousreply 2604/21/2010

[quote]A second store opened closer to midtown Kansas City on the Kansas side across from KU Med Center too

That one was on Rainbow next to Taco Bell. I bought my first ever compact disk at the one on Metcalf...The Cure! In my day they had already switched over to Sound Warehouse.

My favorite was Music Exchange, which is now an Arizona Trading Company. Some of my rarest records came from there. The basement was like a vault full of the rarest recordings. All my Patty Duke 45's came from that creepy basement.

Recycled Sounds (which was originally called Dirt Cheap) was a fave rave too. The first time I ever heard Gypsies, Tramps, & Thieves was in that store and it totally changed my life...I began growing my hair to my waist and wearing fur vests!

by Anonymousreply 2704/21/2010

Oh, also, even though Music Exchange has been out of business for years their record collection still exists. It is kept in a warehouse in the west bottoms and sometimes they open it up for sales or by appointment. I believe they are associated Zebedee's RPM Record Shop on 39th Street, but I could be wrong.

I am SO going record shopping today!

by Anonymousreply 2804/21/2010

oops! I meant Record Exchange. Why did I call it Vinyl Exchange?! It was a great store.

by Anonymousreply 2904/21/2010

You bet! A good portion of my 9,000-album collection came from the Peaches on Hollywood Blvd., right around the corner from the Las Palmas Theater (where I worked on the musical "Boy Meets Boy").

Anyone else familiar with 70's-era L.A. remember the old Record Depot store on Highland Ave.?

by Anonymousreply 3004/21/2010

Yes, r30! I graduated from Peaches and started going to Record Depot in 1977 or so, because they were one of the few stores that carried an extensive selection of 12# disco cuts.

by Anonymousreply 3104/21/2010

Price, I have some vinyl for you that I won at Bingo a couple years ago. I will bring it by the salon and put it on your station if you aren't there.

I'd love to go record shopping. I like the cover art.

There was another record store by Peaches on 75th, it was in a little strip center on 75th. I want to say it was like Reckless Records or something. We used to find good punk imports out there.

by Anonymousreply 3204/21/2010

KC dudes...I also used to go to a used record store but I don't remember the name. I believe it was downtown, I know it was where there were almost all one-way streets that made it hard to get to, and the owner had a big dog in the back. Does that sound familiar? I always found great, rare stuff there.

by Anonymousreply 3304/21/2010

Metalhead when you say downtown do you mean dowwwn-town, like, 12th & Main? Or like more midtown...39th & Broadway. Because there used to be this joint called Alley Cat Records run by this old guy. I remember he had a copy of the original pressing of the Beyond the Valley of the Dolls soundtrack and wanted $600 bucks for it. This was around '93 when things like that were ultra-obscure.

JE, when are you coming in again?

I went to Zebedee's and found The Ventures Super Psychedelic Album. I'm listening to it right now. They had a bunch of cool stuff. They have a program from a Sonny & Cher concert circa 1972. And Gary Lewis & the Playboys on reel-to-reel. Too bad my reel-to-reel eats tapes and is strictly used for decoration.

P.S. R30, 9000 albums? I bet you have a hard time getting people to help you move!

by Anonymousreply 3404/21/2010

I don't remember, Price. It was the late 70's or early 80's when I road tripped a lot for concerts. It wasn't a very nice part of town, lol. I don't remember anything being quite that overpriced, but it's possible I just didn't see it.

9000 albums? I'm impressed! I have a little over 3000 plus another 1000 cd's. And yeah, nobody wants to help me move, lol.

by Anonymousreply 3504/21/2010

Peaches was definitely a destination with their huge inventory. A early prototype for the big box stores that blanket the country today.

And not only was Peaches a destination, they also stayed open late. As someone mentioned. 11 p.m. or midnight. And back in the 70s, that was very unucual. Aside from convenience stores, few places stayed open that late.

by Anonymousreply 3604/21/2010

I remember the Peaches where I lived at the time which later became "Buttons" and then Sound Warehouse.

by Anonymousreply 3704/21/2010

I used to LOVE going to the Peaches in Oklahoma City, where I could buy imports ... no such thing in my hometown.

by Anonymousreply 3804/21/2010

Me too, R6. I hadn't thought of them in years and years. Last weekend I was headed towards the square in Roswell, GA and thought about the Turtle's Record store. I spent hours at the record store going through the albums. Are there any record stores left anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 3904/21/2010

[quote]I bought many CDs at the one here in Denver. The digital disc wasn't its downfall. It was cocaine.

Hey JWDen was that the one off 74th & Federal? I used to go to that one all the time, I grew up in Arvada.

by Anonymousreply 4104/21/2010

r41 - ]I remember the one up north, but the one I'm thinking of was the one on Evans.

by Anonymousreply 4204/22/2010

UPI June 5, 1981

Peaches Records and Tapes, a Los Angeles-based record chain with 35 stores, filed for protection from its creditors under Chapter 11 of the Federal Bankruptcy Act. The company, citing $20 million in debts, attributed its problems to a sharp decline in demand for phonograph records.

by Anonymousreply 4304/22/2010

(part of a newspaper article from Nov 1977)

Peaches Records was the retail arm of Nehi Records, Inc.

Peaches Records and Tapes can trace its beginning back to when founder and president Tom Heiman was a student at Santa Monica City College.He operated a food catering truck and one day stopped at a record outlet and bought 50 records for $25, then racked them in neighborhood grocery stores. They sold so well at double his investment he expanded the venture and that was the start of Nehi records.

The initial investment was on distributing to other outlets, but in 1974 the first Peaches Records & Tapes retail store opened in Hollywood.

Nehi also diversified into the recording industry with Joyce Records and is credited with the discovery of the Captain and Tenille.

by Anonymousreply 4404/22/2010

Joan Jett wearing a Peaches t-shirt

by Anonymousreply 4504/22/2010

I used to shop at the Seattle outlet on NE 45th. The Tower was around the corner on University and the University Book Store was across the street. I could spend all afternoon in those places.

by Anonymousreply 4604/22/2010

R33- Could that have been Tiger's Records? It was in the northeast area of the city, not in the downtown loop. But it was a popular music store in the 70's. Ed Asner's brother ran another record store called Caper's Corner that had lots of imports. It was located in Kansas City, Ks. We ate at Oklahoma Joe's Bar-be-que the other night and I thought of the old Caper's. It was right across the street.

by Anonymousreply 4704/22/2010

I loved the Peaches on Evans in Denver - I spent hours there as a high-school kid. We'd get a few friends together, hop in the car and go. I especially liked the huge paintings of cover art. I miss album cover art. I miss the white-hot excitement and creativity of the music of those days. It's not just old-fogey-ism. There really is nothing to compare to the variety and truly experimental nature of what came out during that period.

by Anonymousreply 4804/22/2010

So sad that the modern record store is iTunes and that "Glee" and "American Idol" are where music lives.

Crying as I type.

by Anonymousreply 4904/22/2010

I shopped at the Peaches in Atlanta all the time. There was not another record store that could compare. I still have the Peaches Crate I bought in 1976. I have to threaten my wife when she wnats to throw it away!!!

by Anonymousreply 5001/13/2011

i too have a peaches crate (full of bad '70's music) in my attic. i loved that they would order obscure records for you. remember those huge catalogues on every aisle?

by Anonymousreply 5101/13/2011

I loved that store. I loved the smell.

by Anonymousreply 5201/13/2011

I well remember Peaches in Atlanta as well as Oz Records, another great old Atlanta record store.

by Anonymousreply 5301/13/2011

Yes, r40. There was a Peaches on East Colonial Blvd until the mid-90s. Used to go there all the time.

by Anonymousreply 5401/13/2011

I met Henry Rollins in the Peaches in Indianapolis when I was a wee punk. Back when he was skinny with straggly long hair. Sexy man. Black Flag show that night was why he was in town. Memories.

by Anonymousreply 5501/14/2011

Loved Peaches. I met Ethel Merman at the Peaches in Indianapolis.

by Anonymousreply 5601/14/2011

Licorice Pizza was the shit in California.

Complete with a Head Shop.

by Anonymousreply 5701/14/2011

"Never heard of it. Must have been some fly-over state thing."%0D %0D It wasn't. And you're a retarded asshole.

by Anonymousreply 5801/14/2011

r56 = snarky cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5901/14/2011

We'd get paid (I was a waitress and my friend Gigi worked in her Mom's office) and drive over to Hollywood for a record run -- Peaches, Tower, and that place catty corner from the Whiskey. Then, east to Pasadena to that record store in a house.

We had every punk picture disc in creation, and I scored a copy of the 45RPM "Sit on My Face Stevie Nicks" before Stevie herself saw it in Tower and bought up all the copies to put the song out of circulation.

by Anonymousreply 6001/14/2011

OMG, r53-OZ records!

Remember the flying monkeys (baskets) that would carry your purchase>

And Peaches on Peachtree...many happy times there. The world ain't gotten better...

by Anonymousreply 6101/14/2011

Bump

by Anonymousreply 6201/14/2011

I don't recall a Peaches in Houston, where I grew up, but maybe it just closed before I became a music junkie in the mid-late 80s. Plus, I never made it very far out of the 'burbs.

I think I may have gone to the one in St. Louis during Christmas break one year, if it was still there in the mid 80s. I remember just randomly passing a huge record store and my dad was good enough to stop. They had a HUGE soundtrack section with vinyl soundtracks from just about every movie you could imagine - or couldn't. I was fascinated by all the Varese Sarabande soundtracks for low budget 70s and 80s horror movies. I got Pino Donaggio's score for "Tourist Trap" and still have it. It's never been issued on CD and goes for big bucks on ebay and amazon. Still love the artwork.

by Anonymousreply 6301/14/2011

[quote]The basement was like a vault full of the rarest recordings. All my Patty Duke 45's came from that creepy basement.

From one creepy basement to another...

by Anonymousreply 6401/14/2011

[quote]I used to go to Peaches in Fort Lauderdale. I could spend hours there browsing classical and Broadway records.%0D %0D %0D Me too. OTOH, that was posted last April so I may be replying to me.

by Anonymousreply 6501/14/2011

I remember Peaches in Seattle, and I used to have a crate.

by Anonymousreply 6601/14/2011

I still have those Peaches crates - 6 of them filled with albums.

by Anonymousreply 6701/14/2011

R57 I so remember Licorice Pizza. I do not recall Peaches at all. %0D %0D PS: Do you remember Aaron's Records?

by Anonymousreply 6801/15/2011

I worked as a store manager and eventually as a buyer at the LA warehouse for Peaches and what happened to it was something you could see coming like a freight train. It was a typical Hollywood/LA vanity production, from top to bottom. Heiman, Diamond, and the rest of them loved the idea that it cost a million dollars to open each new store (back when a mil was BIG money) and came up with new ways to pump that up. The big in-house ego trip was "We can make a record go gold with just what we order!" The problem was, the people involved, the ones with actual retail music marketing experience, were routinely over-ruled by the "brain trust", whose own musical tastes ran heavily to Neil Diamond, the Eagles, and any other act that originated in LA and whom they knew personally. Despite the snotty "fly-over state" comment that started this thread, Peaches were located in LA, Chicago, Atlanta, Phoenix, DC, and a dozen other large cities, as well as in Greensboro, where I was relocated from when called to LA. The stores were about three times larger than the stock required and they tried to do far too much in promotional terms, with - literally - every item of accessory goods required to carry a Peaches imprint. The icing was that it was TERRIBLY badly run and there was no such thing as austerity in any area. Even as a callow youth of 26, I could see the handwriting on the wall and got out ahead of the collapse. Peaches DID prove one thing the founders believed, though, and it's still working in other business categories: build a HUGE store and it WILL fill up with people, against all reason. If there had been anything resembling a retail-savvy person in the management group, they probably could have seen that betting against the CD was a disaster and avoided complete collapse but the top level was all SoCal good ol' boys to whom Who You Know was far more important that What You Know.

by Anonymousreply 6901/18/2011

we had a Peaches in Orange, CT ....loved that place. had a friend who worked there....always got the inside track when new stuff was released...also, whenever an artist or act played the local arena's or concert venues, they always stopped in, shook hands, signed autographs...and the occasional hands/feet in cement. most notably Meatloaf, Chic, and a few others i cannot recall.%0D Thanks for these fond memories%0D Pat

by Anonymousreply 7001/21/2011

What memories Peaches brings back! I used to haunt the Hollywood store and always put aside an hour just to browse. I had three stores on my "circuit:" Tower, Record Depot and Peaches.%0D %0D I remember one frantic Saturday afternoon when a disco friend and I were all over town trying desperately to find an obscure song by Kelly Marie "Feels Like I'm in Love" (one-hit wonder now on YouTube) and finally found it in a back bin at Peaches. You'd have thought we'd discovered penicillin we were so excited.

by Anonymousreply 7101/21/2011

WHET those huge album covers that were hung outside and inside the store?%0D %0D Album art definitely isn't what it used to be. Peaches was far better than the Record Bar in Greensboro, NC.

by Anonymousreply 7201/21/2011

Detroit! I grew up in Detroit and when the Peaches Records and Tapes opened it was a very big deal. What a great store. I loved their tee shirts too. I had one of the "baseball jersey" styles with blue sleeves.

by Anonymousreply 7304/01/2011

I practically lived at the Peaches store in St. Louis on Hampton Avenue. That place ruled the vinyl world back then. I remember the concrete squares outside the store where the bands would sign their names and leave their handprints.

by Anonymousreply 7404/15/2011

NPR had a show today where they were visiting record stores that are still open in various cities. I just got in on the end of it.

by Anonymousreply 7504/16/2011

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 7604/16/2011

Someone else remembers Licorice Pizza! They were the main competitor to Peaches where I lived.

There was also a place in the 1980s (Sound Warehouse?) that experimented with "renting" records for $1 a day, purportedly so you could see if you liked them. Of course it was just a front so everyone could take them home and record them to cassette. That must have been the dawn of music piracy.

by Anonymousreply 7704/16/2011

I only got to visit the Peaches in suburban Maryland (north of DC) two or three times, but loved it. It would have been worth the two-hour trip from home (Carlisle PA) just to hit the bargain bin. Still have a Peaches album crate someplace at my parents' house.

by Anonymousreply 7805/01/2011

My name is Kathryn Matson I worked at the Westmister Store starting at 18 until they closed. My last name then was Longuski I was married. I wonder often where everyone went.%0D I have the offical scrapbook from the store.%0D It would be fun to get together with all the people who are still in Colorado for a reunion.%0D my e-mail is ksnowkat133@aol.com%0D %0D Thank You

by Anonymousreply 7905/11/2011

R65: I remember that the Peaches in Ft Lauderdale was on Sunrise Blvd, just across the street from a club named Bachelor's 3. Joe Namath was an owner in that club and we would go almost every week to see if he was around. I loved that Peaches because we would stop on our way to the beach. Straight east on Sunrise till you smell the ocean!

by Anonymousreply 8005/11/2011

Thanks Steve and Kathryn for your posts. %0D %0D Trips to the Peaches on Pearl Road in Cleveland were a special treat when I was a kid. Funny that posters have mentioned how huge the stores were--that's my strongest memory of the place. EVERYONE had a Peaches crate back then.

by Anonymousreply 8105/11/2011

I spend hours and hours at Peaches as a kid. I had about 2000 albums and like an idiot sold them in 93 when I had to move back to AZ from FL. I wish I had them now. I'm a pro Jazz drummer and those records were 80% of my education! :-)

by Anonymousreply 8205/11/2011

[quote]I remember that the Peaches in Ft Lauderdale was on Sunrise Blvd, just across the street from a club named Bachelor's 3. Joe Namath was an owner in that club and we would go almost every week to see if he was around.%0D %0D I saw him there twice. I was underage but used to go with my parents every few weeks. Joe Namath was there when we saw Lorna Luft's show and when we saw Kaye Stevens' show. He sat at our table for awhile, both times.

by Anonymousreply 8305/11/2011

Peaches Records and Tapes store I believe was on High Point Rd in Greensboro NC had the giant album covers hanging outside the store and the artists hand/footprints in the cement outside,wonder is the sidewalk is still there

by Anonymousreply 8406/07/2011

yes i customer there,we had 1 in norfolk va.,like some of these other posters here i agree with them they had hard to find stuff,& tons of anything you could think of. i still have my old crate & my old baseball shirt, which i still wear. i guess the shirt is 30 years old now i dumbest looks when i tell these younger folks about this place. i still have my turntable & cassette stuff which i still use it all works i am of the opion if it still works why replace it? i dont hardly go in these places any more they just look at you like youre dumb or something when your trying to find stuff

by Anonymousreply 8508/14/2011

Dang, Oz Records... a huge part of my youth in Atlanta. I went to the grand opening at Lenox Square and they had Dorothy and Tin Man and the gang singing "Ease On Down the Road" and, indeed, a yellow brick road ran through the store. And, yes, very cheap fake flying monkeys would "deliver" (in slow mo) your record to the cash register.%0D %0D Man, I loved Atlanta then. My question isn't why did these landmarks go out of business but, instead, WHAT HAS TAKEN THEIR PLACES? Where do people go now to kill time, collect stuff, etc.? Bookstores are just as doomed. Heavy sigh.

by Anonymousreply 8608/15/2011

Peaches was the first huge record store that I can remember walking into. The one I knew in Milwaukee opened up in a space previously occupied by a grocery store. That should give you an idea of how much square footage they took up. It was the coolest thing. The only place that I've ever camped out overnight in line for concert tickets was in a Peaches parking lot.

Until reading this post though, I never realized they were a national chain. Since we just had the one store, and I was a young and dumb kid, I always thought that it was just a local business that eventually sold out to a larger local music chain.

That bit about Peaches going out of business because they didn't think that people would buy CDs doesn't seem to make much sense though. Even if they resisted stocking CDs early on, you'd think it wouldn't take long to figure out what people were buying and start stocking it. I mean unless they just absolutely refused to sell CDs out of some principle or something, that explanation doesn't make much sense.

The post about mismanagement sounds more likely. Also the other posts that allude to the owner liking his cocaine probably played a big part...if true.

by Anonymousreply 8708/15/2011

I opened a huge Jeans Store next to the Peaches in Clearwater, Florida, the Owner of Peaches use to fly in and come in my store to say hello before he went into his giant store he was a shrewd biz man, cds didn't kill Peaches, rent, and over expansion did

by Anonymousreply 8808/21/2011

Peaches

Licorice Pizza

Tower

Wherehouse

All the fun 70s record stores RIP

by Anonymousreply 8908/21/2011

Yes we had one up on morse rd across from the northland mall in Columbus, Oh. Used to spend hours going thru the crates looking for the great band on the mid to late 70s. RUSH, Loverboy, Aerosmith, Stones, J Giles, Foreigner, Kiss, Starz, Yes, and too many others to to list. The 70srest were the best, especially 1977....... Tim from Ohio

by Anonymousreply 9009/04/2011

I have a 4ft X 4ft painting of the LET IT BE album that was purched from peaches in December of 1980. They had them hanging on the out side of the stores. One year for my birthday I took my money to peaches and bought all the kiss lp"s that I did"nt have. Must have been 7 of so.

by Anonymousreply 9109/11/2011

there was one in Denver back then, I even had one of their crates for my records. No I am sorry I got rid of it.

by Anonymousreply 9209/16/2011

Peaches was the best. Went to Rockville all the time and had 4 of their musice crates until about 2005- 20 years after they wen BK.

by Anonymousreply 9312/17/2011

I worked at Licorice Pizza in high school; best high school job ever...

by Anonymousreply 9412/17/2011

I still have a Peaches (Dallas, TX) tee shirt from 1976.

by Anonymousreply 9501/10/2012

My friend worked at peaches in Tulsa, and it was a hotbed of sex and drugs. He has hilarious stories, like one about a girl who worked there who fucked the local rock promoter/impresario, and whose bf came to the store and called a whore in front of all the customers and employees and threw dozens of photos of her naked and masturbating with dildos all over the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 9701/24/2012

If anyone has or knows someone who is selling an original peaches "cleveland" jersey (has blue sleeves) size L please contact me at my2boyz617@att.net Thank You.

by Anonymousreply 9801/31/2012

In about 1978, Van Halen was at the Peaches in Rockville, Md. signing copies of their first album. I have mine on the wall. Wonder what it's worth?

by Anonymousreply 9902/27/2012

That Peaches in Tulsa became a "Buttons" & I had a friend who worked there.

I miss Sound Warehouse too.

by Anonymousreply 10002/28/2012

I went to Uni High in LA and Licorice Pizza and Music Odyssey were right up the block on Wilshire Blvd. Odyssey began renting out records so people could tape them, sort of a low tech Napster. I don't remember the head shop at Licorice but Odyssey had it all displayed at the checkout counter. You can see the old Licorice Pizza in the original "Fun with Dick and Jane." The store clerk is robbed then cheerfully sells a Melissa Manchester album.

by Anonymousreply 10102/28/2012

I went into the Hollywood store to buy Phoebe Snow's Greatest Hits and I saw Genie Francis there.

by Anonymousreply 10202/28/2012

Peaches in Denver... I bought my fav's... Carole King "Tapestry", still have it with the plastic cover showing the price "$4.99".

by Anonymousreply 10303/08/2012

I bought the Stray Cats album at one in Colorado, Thanks for the memories, I have not thought of them in years,

by Anonymousreply 10403/08/2012

PEACHES WAS THE SHITS! Still have 4 crates full of great music and love to still listen to them and think What great times!!

by Anonymousreply 10503/28/2012

Was it like Strawberries?

by Anonymousreply 10603/28/2012

I worked at the Peaches in Overland Park, KS, in the early 80s. Greatest job I ever had. Someone on here noted that the employees knew their music. He is correct. Some of my co-workers had really encyclopedic knowledge of music of all kids. Me, I tended to know more about jazz and classical. They had one CD in stock when I started: Billy Joel's "Piano Man". I sounds weird now, but it was a constant battle to get enough bin space to sell all the CDs coming out. The manager thought they were like 6-tracks and would go away. Well, y'all know how that worked out.

The movie "High Fidelity" is a very accurate portrayal of life in a record store back then. All the employees accumulated a set of groupies and regular customers, and some were quite strange. But, it made it fun to work every single day.

by Anonymousreply 10704/05/2012

THIRTY FIVE branches. WOW that is almost as many as my lemonade stand

by Anonymousreply 10804/08/2012

Sounds like they were cool places. Never heard of them,. From Long Island and NYC and we got our albums in nondescript joints like Sam Goody and E.J.Korvettes. Always laugh when Rosie O'Donnell says she ran to Korvettes whenever a Streisand album was released. For a nothing dept store, they had a huge music section. As a wee kid I met Bette Midler at a record signing of her first HBO special soundtrack in NY's Korvettes.

by Anonymousreply 10904/08/2012

[quote]As a wee kid I met Bette Midler at a record signing of her first HBO special soundtrack in NY's Korvettes.

If you weren't gay before...

by Anonymousreply 11004/08/2012

You guys should checkout the new store on Chapman Street it's called CFBG, at 930 s chapman st. good place, the owners are nice and the collection is big

by Anonymousreply 11104/19/2012

CFBG is a pretty good spot! I headed over from charlotte yesterday... Greensboro is blessed

by Anonymousreply 11205/04/2012

I started haunting the Ft Lauderdale Peaches store on Sunrise Blvd - probably in 1974. I loved going there and just wandering around with friend, listening to music, reading liner notes and buying when I could. And of course, we all loved the giant album artwork outside. I do remember even my dad shopping there and buying 8 tracks.

There wasn't anything like it.

by Anonymousreply 11305/24/2012

I remember well when the warehouse record store Peaches Records And Tapes opened in Dallas around 1975.

When Zeppelin's double-lp Physical Graffiti came out, Peaches advertised this on an outdoor marquee, but the morons who put the letters up, misspelled Zeppelin as "Zepplin".

Youd would think a large chain store that had as it's main business as records and tapes, could get the spelling right, on one of the world's larest bands at the time.

by Anonymousreply 11405/28/2012

Check this out www.peachesrecordcrates.com bring it back

by Anonymousreply 11506/23/2012

Lived by the Peache's on East Colonial Drive in Orlando, Florida. In 1986 Animotion did a free meet, greet and autograph session. I still have my autographed cassette....

by Anonymousreply 11607/17/2012

Peaches had a large store in Cleveland on Brook Park and Pearl Roads..We always thought the intersection sounded like a female country duo: "Brooke Park and Pearl Rhoades"...Anyway it was the best record store/hangout on Cleveland's west side. The east side of town had a district similar to Haight Ashbury in Frisco called "Coventry.".. it's still there and a cool place to visit but nothing like the 70s but what is besides my 1972 Dodge Dart...Anyway, we brought back the whole damn thing folks. We obtained licensing rights to the original logo and manufacture very cool remakes of the original album and forty five crates. Plus we make DVD crates, wine crates, eight track crates, all kinds of cool stuff. We also sell Peaches T-shirts... our website is geared to the peaches "type" and we have a "Your Music" page for any musicians who wish to post their recordings, a "Your Pictures" page for posting any crate pictures or any art of any kind at all....all of our crew are semi retired and retired musicians and we spin vinyl in the shop all day long...check us out @ www.peachesrecordcrates.com

by Anonymousreply 11709/26/2012

My first experience was in Stl store. We had to drive 100 miles so we came with plenty of cash. Usually spent the day. The painting of album covers delivered a great atmosphere. Plus you could always hear some new artist album playing on their sound system. Loved the $1 cut outs in the back. Great store.

by Anonymousreply 11801/17/2013

The beauty of it was that we could take it all for granted.

Who thought there would no longer be record stores -- or records.

by Anonymousreply 11901/17/2013

The Peaches Record Store in Columbus, OH, used to have giant painted album covers hanging on the front of the store outside. Always wanted one of those as a kid, but what in the world would I have done with it!? LOL

by Anonymousreply 12004/15/2013

Seems like Peaches was regional. I vaguely temember a Coconuts in Chicago but no Peaches.

In PA we had Oasis, Camelot Music and National Record Mart, and a few Sam Goody's.

Virgin, Tower and B&N/Borders killed them, to be killed in turn by online storesand downloading.

My very, very favorite store,always,will be Sam the Record Man in Toronto. It was amazing. So much there. I spent a minimum of two hours in Sam's every visit. Sadly itclosed a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 12104/15/2013

You know, I was just remembering Peeches records as now I am watching A Star in Born. I remember they had huge replica album artwork ot whatever was the big thing at the time and to this day I remember the massive a Star is Born art work hanging on the front of that store.

I bought Deep Purple's Made in Japan there and various 45s.

by Anonymousreply 12205/26/2013

They had two in Cleveland--part of an old Federal's on Pearl & Brookpark and in an old Kroger in Willowick, in an off-the beaten path location on Vine Street. A friend of mine ran the classical music dept for awhile on Vine Street. Cleveland has an important record market then--twice the purchases per capita of the rest of the country, but it had places like Record Revolution (still in business) which were more cutting edge. The range was a novelty, but the volume didn't seem to justify it. I used to have one of their cassette boxes, which also were very common. They probably did better in places without good local stores.

Chicago had Rose Records, which was very good as chains went, with a huge store in the Loop.

by Anonymousreply 12305/26/2013

Does anyone happen to have an old tshirt??

My dad has all these stories about going to the Kansas City shop all the time... I thought I'd try tracking down a shirt for him.

by Anonymousreply 12406/29/2013

Back in the late 70's/early '80's, there was a Peaches here in Vancouver, Canada. I used to love going there.

by Anonymousreply 12506/29/2013

Researching Album Promo posters from like George Harrison etc..The package sent to all the stores, these came off he walls. Any help...thanks. ...MyJeremy73@aol.com

by Anonymousreply 12601/29/2014

It was the summer of 1976, I had just moved to Dallas. Went into a Peach's and playing on the sound system was a Leon Russel album. I bought the album.

by Anonymousreply 12701/29/2014

We used to go to the Peaches in Ft. Lauderdale from 1981-83 all the time, everyone did, it was a great place to meet up and cool off on a hot summers day. Back then posters were a big deal and they had a great collection.

by Anonymousreply 12807/28/2014

Tampa Peaches, near USF, University Collection, on Fowler/30th, early 80s Like heaven.

Turned into a damned Kinkos/FedEx Office.

(Miss you as well, Vinyl Fever (

by Anonymousreply 12907/29/2014

I worked at the Peaches on Hollywood Blvd. in 1977 & 1978. It was a blast. I met lots of rock stars back then. Van Halen (before they made it big), Quiet Riot (the Randy Rhoads years) long before fame, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, KISS, Rick James, a couple of the Earth WInd & Fire guys, Peter Frampton, Dave Peverette from Foghat, The Ramones, Cher, Tom Petty, Joan Jett & Cherie Curie from The Runaways, Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy, Robin Trower, Michael Jackson, Starz (a great, but forgotten, '70s rock band), John Travolta, Angel (yuck), Ann & Nancy Wilson, Robert Plant, and lots more.

It was a blast. I left Los Angeles for Dallas in late 1978, but working at Peaches remains a great memory of my youth.

by Anonymousreply 13007/30/2014

Used to go there (west palm bch store) in the late 80s/early 90s, even remember the fruity scent in the store. Sad they went out of business

by Anonymousreply 13101/01/2015

I remember the one in norwood ohio

by Anonymousreply 13201/23/2015

I went to the Indianapolis store and when I moved to Fort Lauderdale in 1977 I went to the store on a Sunrise Blvd and NE 15 th Ave. Sadly it is now a Hustler Hollywood store.

by Anonymousreply 13301/23/2015

Loved the Peaches in Fraser, Michigan, as a kid. No one ever knows what I'm talking about when I mention it.

by Anonymousreply 13401/23/2015

My much older brother worked there and was also a DJ (the store in Memphis) so I was the only kid in 4th grade cool enough to have a Peaches t shirt and a B-52's album. I also used one of the crates as my "cubby"---the other kids had those plastic milk crates.

by Anonymousreply 13501/24/2015

I worked for Peaches in Ballwin, MO (St Louis suburb) from 1981, when Nehi was coming out of Chapter 11, until 1986, when Bromo Dist owned it and had re-named it Sound Warehouse a couple years before.

The reason I was told they went into bankruptcy is more believable than all the nonsense listed above.

Record companies discontinue albums that don't sell and if an outlet, such as Peaches, wanted to get full credit for any overstock, the record company would put a deadline on a return date. If the albums were not returned on time, the outlet was stuck with the overstock. The record company would then cut a corner off the cover, or drill a hole in the cover, and release it as a "cut out" at a discounted price to get rid of the excess.

Peaches had such a huge stock of inventory and such inattentive employees that they rarely returned these discontinued albums on time and therefore were stuck with albums that didn't sell. Eventually, so much cash was tied up in inventory they had to file Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

And we were stocking CDs as early as 1984.

by Anonymousreply 13602/02/2015

R130 - I worked there too (in '78 and '79). Maybe we knew (and/or blew) each other (assuming you're a dude). LOL.

by Anonymousreply 13702/02/2015

Oz Records had a couple of stores in Birmingham too -- the Eastwood Mall store was where my mom bought me Fleetwood Mac's [italic]Rumours.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 13802/02/2015

I remember my first time at Peaches. I was a 10 year old future gay boy, in late 1976, and I begged my mom to take me there so I could get the 45 singles of "Disco Duck" and "Shake Your Booty." I never ended up buying them. I walked in and there was a huge KISS display.

I was enthralled with their look, even though I had never heard their music (except for "Beth" - which I did not know was them). I ended up getting mom to buy me their "Destroyer" and "Rock & Roll Over" albums. I became a massive KISS fan for the next 8 or 9 years thanks to that awesome display in Peaches.

by Anonymousreply 13902/02/2015

Yes, shopped at the Peaches on Hampton Ave. in St. Louis, Mo. It had anything you wanted at that time in albums, cassettes and 8 tracks. Yes, had a couple peaches album crates & one for my cassettes, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 14003/10/2015
Need more help? Click Here.