Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How come Sue Simmons has never been able to jump to network news?

Does she prefer local? Is she not good enough for the network? Or, did she just miss her chance?

by Anonymousreply 7804/21/2013

She's too pudgy to jump very far.

by Anonymousreply 104/18/2010

She's a raging cunt, and she wasn't smart enough to hide it before the network people got wind.

by Anonymousreply 204/18/2010

Matt Lauer is in a bigger position than she is.

There's your reason.

by Anonymousreply 304/18/2010

If you made $2.5 million for a few hours in the evening, can walk to work, and like the local station management, there's no reason to make any changes.

by Anonymousreply 404/18/2010

I will admit that I am amazed at her longevity. She must have an amazing Q rating to be able to stick around Local NYC News for as long as she has.

by Anonymousreply 604/18/2010

New York loves her and she's the quintessential New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 704/18/2010

I'd wager it's a very comfortable spot. People know her & like her in NYC, and while she's never come out officially, she's known to be a lesbian. She might have to go deeper into the closet or beard up if she'd gone national.

So yeah: well-liked, good money & walk to work for a not particularly taxing job.

I'd take it.

by Anonymousreply 804/18/2010

I just realized this thread is about a real person! When I clicked on it, I was expecting to read some snarky responses... about the cheerios coach from Glee! Oops. I guess that's Sue Sylvester! Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 904/18/2010

LOL r9!!

by Anonymousreply 1004/18/2010

She's the Liza of local news. A complete lush and we love her.

by Anonymousreply 1104/18/2010

Years ago when she was on local Washington TV I watched her for years. I thought she was average at best. Another local local female anchor was Maureen Bunyan. Now THERE was and is a great talent.

by Anonymousreply 1204/18/2010

by Anonymousreply 1304/18/2010

I've been watching her since I was a kid. It's almost comforting to be able to turn on Channel 4 and see her there. It'll actually be sort of sad when she retires.

She and Chuck have been working together since the year my little sister was born. That's a long-ass time, 30 years in fact.

Also, the end of this clip cracks me up. Jump to 2:15. Janice cackling is the icing on the cake.

by Anonymousreply 1404/18/2010

Comes as no surprise to anyone who watched her, R13.

by Anonymousreply 1504/18/2010

Sue's father was a top jazz musician. They lived in Harlem and Sue grew up with the house, always full of people like Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong.

by Anonymousreply 1604/18/2010

Sue has had an interesting life. Her mother was a white socialite who married a black jazz musician. The authorities would routinely jail the father. Sue was briefly a model - she was stunning.

by Anonymousreply 1704/18/2010

Sue admits her father was a life long heroin addict. Maybe thats why he was jailed.

by Anonymousreply 1804/18/2010

OP, this may be why.

by Anonymousreply 1904/18/2010

It's because she doesn't want a network job, bitches. Sue has the second best new job a person could want -- anchor of a WNBC in NY -- the biggest market in the country. And she's had the job for almost 30 years.

Sue is going to be 68 in 2010. If she had been offered and taken a network job, she'd have been put out to pasture a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 2004/18/2010

She makes more $ as a NYC anchor than she would as a reporter on network.

by Anonymousreply 2104/18/2010

Sue was a newscaster in Baltimore and was good friends with another black female newsperson from a rival station.

I saw them together several times at the theatre, etc.

The other woman was Maria Broom. Link below.

They always looked happy and very chummy.

by Anonymousreply 2204/18/2010

No, R18, the father was repeatedly jailed for being with a white woman. Sue has said the constant abuse and harrassment contributed to his addiction.

by Anonymousreply 2304/18/2010

Maria Broom was on The Wire.

So who was Sue's mom? If she was a socialite, she probably would have been in the Kitty Carlisle and Arlene Francis click, right?

by Anonymousreply 2404/18/2010

Sue is not a cunt, btw. She is nice and great to wait on. Tips well, also.

by Anonymousreply 2504/18/2010

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 2604/18/2010

Sue Simmons and most NYC/LA/CHI network O&O anchors make much more than network correspondents or cable anchors. Sue's contract is easily several million a year.

And she wouldn't make a jump unless it were for an anchor slot. Those are few and far between, esp for older women and black women. Sue does quite well as the lead anchor in the nation's largest market.

by Anonymousreply 2704/18/2010

Anyone remember who she was interviewing when the guest asked if she was a lesbian? She said "yes", they both laughed and the subject was changed. It was during her drinking days.

by Anonymousreply 2804/18/2010

She comes across as being charm-free.

by Anonymousreply 2904/18/2010

r 28 - Tom Arnold.

by Anonymousreply 3004/18/2010

She's still a pretty woman. How old is she? 60?

by Anonymousreply 3104/18/2010

She'll be 67 in a month.

by Anonymousreply 3204/18/2010

The career of local news reporters reminds me of soap actors-big dreams in the beginning and then the realization that star making jobs are fewer and far between. Look at Susan Lucci,a competent actress at best who parlayed what was supposed to be a walk on into an iconic daytime role. Just like 'the other' Sue,she is a TV legend in her field and my have had dreams of becoming a film star but there are few people who don't know the character of Erica Kane. Sue Simmons,by sheer longevity,is the undisputed queen of local NY news anchors-why give that up?

by Anonymousreply 3304/18/2010

any links to pics when Sue was modeling?

by Anonymousreply 3404/18/2010

But ... but ... she can't go for more than a few moments without screwing up. I've never seen such a stumblebum so consistently employed.

People love her. They forgive all.

by Anonymousreply 3504/18/2010

"New York loves her and she's the quintessential New Yorker."

Oh please...its not like she's Carrie Bradshaw

by Anonymousreply 3604/18/2010

R36? What the fuck are you doin'?

by Anonymousreply 3704/18/2010

...not like Carrie Bradshaw flirts with Janice Huff every night at 11.

by Anonymousreply 3804/22/2010

I've been watching her and Chuck Scarborough for thirty years and I like them. They are very easy and comfortable to watch. I've heard from friends who tend bar that she likes to drink and is a really nice lady.

by Anonymousreply 3904/22/2010

Her father, the jazz musician was blind, btw, if that hasn't been mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 4004/22/2010

Well, she was nice enough to give us directions to the Metropolitan Museum when we were lost.

by Anonymousreply 4104/22/2010

Sue and Jessica Savitch were lovers, and even lived together for a while in Savitch's apartment on E. 57th St.

by Anonymousreply 4204/22/2010

"I've been watching her since I was a kid."

I remember when she first started on the local news in NY. There was a great deal of fanfare. All the boys in my JHS class had crushes on her.

by Anonymousreply 4304/22/2010

This much discussion about a local news anchor? WTF?

Now I'm starting to figure out why there are so many hyper-PC "racist!!!"-yelling effeminates on here. You all come from that little clique in NYC where they program you with that shit and the prissy accent.

by Anonymousreply 4404/22/2010

I love her. I love her and Chuck together. I love that she loves a drink and that she swears and has a saucy side and hey, she's seen people come and go and stayed in place for 30 years so if that engenders a little cockiness every once in awhile then who cares.

by Anonymousreply 4504/22/2010

A friend of mine who worked in a nightclub in the 1980s loved to share the story of the night Simmons came to the DJ's booth and introduced her S.O. as "This is my girlfriend Pussy."

Makes me want to date a guy named Dick.

by Anonymousreply 4604/22/2010

2.3 mill will make me happy just were I am so anybody that says any thing negitive about sue are haters and I'm sure thay are not sitting on 2.3 million, so don't hate.

by Anonymousreply 4712/23/2010

Sue's back! After nearly 3 months off the air recuperating from spinal surgery, she returned to the news last night. I could tell Chuck really missed her. And Janice had no one to flirt with.

by Anonymousreply 4812/23/2010

[quote]I love her. I love her and Chuck together. I love that she loves a drink and that she swears and has a saucy side and hey, she's seen people come and go and stayed in place for 30 years so if that engenders a little cockiness every once in awhile then who cares.%0D %0D I feel the same way, r45. She's a great dame and here's wishing her more years on the air.

by Anonymousreply 4912/23/2010

R44, what the fuck are you doing?

by Anonymousreply 5012/24/2010

Thanks, r48. I did not know why she was off the air.

by Anonymousreply 5112/24/2010

You think that bitch has it hard? For years I had to sit next to that douchebag Tom Tucker trying to get the lead gig, and what does that fucker Seth MacFarlane do? He turns me into some homicidal maniac and makes me fall off a fucking cliff!

by Anonymousreply 5212/24/2010

Whose wigs are better? Sue's or Chuck's??

by Anonymousreply 5312/24/2010

"Oh please...its not like she's Carrie Bradshaw"

A flyover's definition of the quintessential New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 5412/24/2010

r51, here's the video of Sue that aired this week talking about her absence.

by Anonymousreply 5512/24/2010

Sue did well for someone who never went to college. Graduated from Julia Richman High School (Second Avenue and 67th Street) in 1961, took classes at Announcer Training Studios, soon after landed her first TV job in New Haven.%0D The $2.5 million salary figure is from 2005.%0D

by Anonymousreply 5612/24/2010

Sue Simmons is a NYC institution. MY parents have been watching Chuck and Sue deliver the news on NBC 4 my whole life, and I'm 28.

by Anonymousreply 5712/24/2010

The woman has had more work done on her face than Jocelyn Wildenstein!

by Anonymousreply 5812/25/2010

Love Sue Simmons. Glad I'm not the only one who's noticed the flirting between her & Janice Huff.

by Anonymousreply 5912/25/2010

They all have a bad mouth. Sue just happened to have a live mike on or someone else. Nevertheless, she is an American Treasure. She is who she is like every one else. She is colorful, intelligent and she tells it like it is. Good for Her. The world needs more people like her.

by Anonymousreply 6009/28/2012

She was on Joy Behar's show on Current this week and was hilarious. They showed a clip of her saying fuck on air and another of her laughing so hard she fell off her chair.

by Anonymousreply 6109/28/2012

R61, her "What the fuck are you doing?" Is legendary. Did she explain who she was talking to and why?

by Anonymousreply 6209/28/2012

Janice Huff is gay?

Janice is married to her high school or college sweetheart. I never heard any gossip about Janice Huff and I have a few friends who have worked at NBC NYC studios for ages.

Rolanda Watts, who also worked at NBC, was a doll. I recall meeting her in an NBC elevator while going to visit one of my NBC friends.

Rolanda started talking to me and another friend who had joined me that night. It was just small talk, but I doubt that Tom Brokaw, who we also saw walking down the hallway as if he was a God, would have initiated a conversation with strangers in an elevator.

I never got Brokaw's appeal, he sounds as if he has mouth filled with marbles and he wasn't so hot looking in person. This was in the 1980s.

From what my NBC friends told me, Sue had a good reputation there. Al Roker was considered rude and full of himself. At the time, he was still obese, my NBC friends said he was often seen in the NBC cafeteria chowing down on three desserts after eating a full dinner.

by Anonymousreply 6309/28/2012

"What the fuck are you doing?" was directed to Chuck during a bumper ad for the upcoming 11PM local newscast.

The story goes that Sue had no idea that the mic was still on after she and Chuck did the short preview for the upcoming newscast.

I'm not sure what exactly Chuck was doing but whatever it was, it must have annoyed Sue enough fr her to get so angry and perhaps she was also drunk.

She did later apologize on air for her outburst.

by Anonymousreply 6409/28/2012

'cause she's a blah person

by Anonymousreply 6509/28/2012

I don' think she ever wanted to. It might "out her"

by Anonymousreply 6601/09/2013

Does anyone know if she has a lover?

by Anonymousreply 6704/05/2013

I cannot read your replies as to, if Sue Simmons has a lesbian partner?

by Anonymousreply 6804/05/2013

Network news is pretty much an all white male game and was even more so in the past. If they were going to allow a black woman into their club, she would have to be EXCEPTIONAL, and as much as I love Sue, I have to admit, she was not exceptional. Her bio lists no college degrees. Her journalist creds were a few years as a "consumer action" reporter. Not really the hard hitting stuff producers are looking for. Other than perhaps her family connections, I dont really see how she got the career she had. But I do love her. She is a New York institution, like the long running Ritz Thrift Shop ad, worthy of landmark status.

by Anonymousreply 7004/06/2013

Before Gayle King subbing a few months ago, has there ever even been another black woman who sat in the Big Three anchor chair besides Carole Simpson?

And Carole only did weekends. Seems to me the biracial girl who used to be on MTV may have subbed once or twice. Alison Stewart?

THERE'S your answer, OP. And to quote Anthony Wiener, it is a shame. A SHAME!

by Anonymousreply 7104/06/2013

Sue worked her way up. She reported and anchored in New Haven and D.C. before coming to NYC with a decade of experience.

Her father was a jazz musician and her mother a housewife. Not sure how "family connections" got her that cushy entry-level job in Bumfucke.

If you want to question anybody's credentials, cast aspersions on her airhead replacement, Shiba Russell, who drops the most idiotic ad-libs heard to man and anchors with her lips dripping with lip gloss.

by Anonymousreply 7204/06/2013

It wasn't race or her lesbianism. There wasn't much upward mobility for *anyone* in network news back when Sue was a hot young ticket. A reporter job would have been a step down. Weekend anchoring might have been a possibility, but that was a graveyard. Brokaw, Jennings and Rather were locked in. So were the staffs of the only newsmagazines that had any longevity, which were 60 Minutes and 20/20.

Who wanted to deal with that shit when you're already the main anchor in the #1 market?

She had one of the longest anchorships ever, made millions of dollars and was almost unanimously beloved. No career to cry over.

by Anonymousreply 7304/06/2013

Why can I not see your replies? :(

by Anonymousreply 7404/16/2013

I have lived in NYC for 32 years. I love Chuck and Sue!

by Anonymousreply 7504/17/2013

still can't see replies to wether Sue has a partner now :(

by Anonymousreply 7604/20/2013

[quote]she can't go for more than a few moments without screwing up. I've never seen such a stumblebum so consistently employed.

You must not have ever turned on a TV in DC.

by Anonymousreply 7704/20/2013

Sue used to live in my building in New York before she moved to Fifth Avenue. She seemed a lovely woman: always smiling,jovial and in a good mood. The doorman liked her too.

by Anonymousreply 7804/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!