Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Farley Granger

Was watching him earlier on "Strangers on a Train." Damn, he was beautiful, but seriously, how anyone couldn't have known!! Enough purses fell from his mouth to stock a Louis Vuitton warehouse. I know he was partnered for many years with soap producer Robert Calhoun, but who were his conquests back in the day? The usual suspects...Rock Hudson? Monty Clift? Rory Calhoun? James Dean? George Nader?

by Anonymousreply 12309/02/2013

Arthur Laurents. And Shelley Winters, which I think counts.

by Anonymousreply 104/17/2010

Why wouldn't it count? He was shtupping her for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 204/17/2010

The names on "the usual suspects" list all have something decidedly in common, R2. Or are you trying to convince yourself that there is such a thing as bisexuality?

by Anonymousreply 304/17/2010

Convince myself? Of course there are bisexuals. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 404/17/2010

Read his memoir, OP - "Include Me Out".

It wouldn't hurt to pick up a book

by Anonymousreply 504/18/2010

"Why wouldn't it count? He was shtupping her for a long time."

In Shelly's autobiography she makes it sound as if they were just friends

by Anonymousreply 604/18/2010

TCM is showing his films all night

I caught part of "Roseanna McCoy." Damn, he was gorgeous in that. He's all dressed up in butch, mountain man gear.

by Anonymousreply 704/18/2010

Aside from the Hitchcock film, "Train" and "Rope", the only other movie I've seen him in is the grade-b MGM Jane Powell musical, "Small Town Girl". I imagine if he was on the MGM lot he schtupped every available chorus boy.

by Anonymousreply 804/18/2010

I just saw him for a moment in "North Star" on TCM. For a moment, he and Dana Andrews looked like they were going to bang each other right there. They were so beautiful when they were younger.

by Anonymousreply 904/18/2010

Hitch knew. That's why he cast him in two movies where there are homopsychotic overtones: Train and Rope.

by Anonymousreply 1004/18/2010

And ROPE was written by Granger's lover Arthur Laurents - although they weren't lovers until after filming was finished.

by Anonymousreply 1104/18/2010

Does anyone know him? How's he doing these days? He must be pretty old.

by Anonymousreply 1204/18/2010

Farley claims to have sex with Shelley, well she is dead and gone so she can't validate his claims. There is NO WAY that gay boy could have inserted an erect penis into her, unless it was a mistake in a three-way with another man.

by Anonymousreply 1304/18/2010

I didn't know he was gay when I first started watching some of his movies. I like Strangers, Rope and Side Street. He was really gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1404/18/2010

Winters was the ultimate fag hag.

by Anonymousreply 1504/18/2010

They Live by Night is another good movie with Granger. A noir released in 1949 directed by Nicholas Ray. The story is based on Bonnie and Clyde. Granger looks great in it and he has good on screen chemistry with Cathy O'Donnell.

by Anonymousreply 1604/18/2010

I've seen him only in a handful of films, but other than Rope, where he's perfectly cast, I never found him convincing in any of them, especially in anything film noir related.

But at least he was pretty enough to look at.

by Anonymousreply 1704/18/2010

Arthur Laurents claims to have fucked basically everyone handsome back in the day, but I've never understood how. He had a good body but he was never handsome, and he has such a lousy personality: aggressive, loudmouthed, bitterly competitive, mean.

by Anonymousreply 1804/18/2010

[quote]It wouldn't hurt to pick up a book

Making bitchy comments about other people's illiteracy somehow loses its bite when you're insisting they read a movie star's autobiography. What's next, bitch that he hasn't bothered to read TOUCH ME by Suzanne Somers?

by Anonymousreply 1904/18/2010

R18 = Mary Rodgers Guettel

by Anonymousreply 2004/18/2010

I'm mesmerized by his lips - they're perfect

by Anonymousreply 2104/18/2010

What was it about post-WWII America that there were suddenly male movie stars who projected a distinctly pretty aura? I'm thinking of not only Granger but also Montgomery Clift, Guy Madison, Tab Hunter, Tony Curtis, Rock Hudson and just about every actor represented by agent Henry Willson.

Pretty boys have been present since the beginning of Hollywood but it wasn't until the late 40s that the type really became major stars.

by Anonymousreply 2204/18/2010

I'm glad that this thread came up.

I watched two of his films last night on TCM, and thought that he was gorgeous. Like a better-looking cross of James Stewart and Anthony Perkins.

by Anonymousreply 2304/18/2010

He never did anything for me. Pretty, yes, and serviceable in his roles but just some undefineable something was missing. Perhaps it is because I have known a few men over the years who have vaguely resembled Granger and they were real douchebags. I think that imprimatur might be present in my subconcious whenever I see an old Farley Granger picture.

by Anonymousreply 2404/18/2010

His film career as a leading man was essentially over before the end of the 1950s. Though I guess he would say that he made that choice and wanted to concentrate on theatre, I'm not so sure about that. In any case, he never had much of a theatre career either.

My guess is that he wanted to lead his gay personal life without public scrutiny...not that I would blame him.

by Anonymousreply 2504/19/2010

Winters was the ultimate fag hag.

As much as I love Shelley, Elizabeth Taylor IS and always will be the Ultimate Fag Hag. I'm sure Roddy, Monty, Rock, Jimmy Dean and Michael Jackson would agree.

by Anonymousreply 2604/19/2010

are there any books about who was fucking who (gays) back when FG was in the movies?

like a really no-holds barred book?

by Anonymousreply 2704/20/2010

R27, allow me to introduce myself...

by Anonymousreply 2804/20/2010

Funny seeing his name here today as I just watched Martin Scorsese's My Voyage to Italy last night (his doc about Italian cinema) which had a large segment about Visconti's Senso (1954), which starred Farley Granger. He was simply gorgeous in that and it's the only film of him I'd seen in color other than Rope. I watched the Senso segment twice just to get another look at him. Anyway he only had a couple more roles in Hollywood films after that then went into TV guest spots and low budget Euro stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2904/20/2010

"As much as I love Shelley, Elizabeth Taylor IS and always will be the Ultimate Fag Hag. I'm sure Roddy, Monty, Rock, Jimmy Dean and Michael Jackson would agree."

I would agree to an extent. But La Liz also had her own life and a stream of heterosexual affairs. Shelly epitomizes the fat, sexless fag hag stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 3004/22/2010

"Shelly epitomizes the fat, sexless fag hag stereotype"

She was hardly sexless. She had many affairs - read her autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 3104/22/2010

What were the "artistic differences" that led to Farley being fired from the original cast of "Grand Hotel - The Musical" (he was playing the doctor, a role ultimately done beautifully by gay actor John Wylie).

by Anonymousreply 3204/22/2010

Guys be jealous! Tonight, i'm going to watch 'They Live by Night'

by Anonymousreply 3312/06/2012

Oh, guys have you seen this photo before? It's Farley with Roddy McDowall...God, there are obviously gay vibes in it.

by Anonymousreply 3412/06/2012

Lol, yes it's Jane Powell R35. Look what someone did in the link below out of this photo

by Anonymousreply 3612/06/2012

Allegedly with Harry Belafonte for a time during the 50s, according to some sources.

by Anonymousreply 3712/06/2012

Out of the two leads in Rope, I always preferred John Dall. Anyone know anything about him? He died relatively young.

by Anonymousreply 3812/06/2012

Was Farley faithful to his longtime partner,Robert Calhoun? They were 45 years together (1963-2008) until Calhoun's death in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 3912/06/2012

read Farley's biography. It is great.

btw Julianne Moore went to Robert Calhoun's memorial service to pay her respects.

Classy lady,

by Anonymousreply 4012/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 4112/06/2012

R15, it's fine to talk like that, but give Shelley credit for being a very early, very vocal supporter of gay rights. She was famous for putting homophobes into their place, and wouldn't tolerate anti-gay bullshit even in the 1950s. A friend of mine knew her way back and recounted several times he heard her defend gay actors against criticism - at parties and on the job.

by Anonymousreply 4212/06/2012

He got fired from One Life to Live for sexual harrassment

by Anonymousreply 4312/06/2012

Who did he sexually harass on OLTL? Kathy Glass? Nancy Pinkerton? Sleestak?

by Anonymousreply 4412/06/2012

Farley Granger, a sex offender? Dunno, i doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 4512/06/2012

Bisexual...maybe. However he was definitely closer to gay. His longtime partner was a man, that says a lot.

by Anonymousreply 4712/06/2012

Thought that he got canned from OLTL for making a move on the kid who played Brian Kendall.

by Anonymousreply 4812/06/2012

Lol R49! Charming!

by Anonymousreply 5012/06/2012

I worked for a NY casting office in the mid-1980s and Farley came in to read for a part in a play at a New England regional theater. I was so excited as I'd always been a fan of his film performances and he was the right age and type for the role.

But OMG, he couldn't act at all! He was not cast. So disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 5112/06/2012

"Allegedly with Harry Belafonte for a time during the 50s, according to some sources."

LOL! Harry was the ultimate womanizer, no men in his life, sorry. I know the source where you got this -- the old A LIST piece of crap gossip page that ended almost 10 years ago. The writer claimed she was under surveillance and was being stalked by the FBI, so she stopped writing it.

by Anonymousreply 5212/06/2012

Harry was a beautiful man.

by Anonymousreply 5312/07/2012

He's pretty hot in this picture.

by Anonymousreply 5412/08/2012

Both Laurents and Granger write in their autobiogs of Farley's weekend with Leonard Bernstein.

Now HE was a true bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 5512/08/2012

Was her related to Stewart?

by Anonymousreply 5612/08/2012

He was amazing in 'They Live by Night'.

by Anonymousreply 5712/08/2012

Has he played in other great films apart from 'They Live by Night', 'Strangers on a Train' and 'Rope'?

Please tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5812/08/2012

No, R56, Stewart Granger was not actually named "Granger". His real name was James Stewart, but that was already taken, obviously.

(A similar problem would be faced more recently by Michael Douglas, now known as Michael Keaton.)

R58, "Senso", by Visconti, was mentioned upthread. I haven't seen it, but it's probably worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 5912/08/2012

R59, God, i forgot that Farley had played in 'Senso'! I have seen it. It's a very good movie indeed, but extremely sad. His character in this film was....i remember me wanted to kill him for his dishonesty and his treatment to the character of Alida Valli. He portrayed a weak, treacherous character and he played it very convincing. Thanks for reminding me this movie.

by Anonymousreply 6012/08/2012

Harry Belafonte and Farley Granger had a fling? Are you pretty sure? I didn't know that Belafonte was bi! Lol

by Anonymousreply 6112/08/2012

I like Farley in Side Street, an obscure little drama--a decent storyline and great shots of 1950's NYC.

by Anonymousreply 6212/08/2012

Oh,R62, so he had played with Cathy O'Donnell more than once. i haven't seen this movie and this is the first time i hear about it. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 6312/08/2012

Oh really? I only knew about Bernstein's affair with Rudolf Nureyev. Well, well, well...!

by Anonymousreply 6512/08/2012

Farley was also in Goldwyn's glorious Technicolor Danny Kaye movie musical Hans Christian Andersen, though I don't believe he sings or dances in it.

Does he talk about Danny in his autobiography?

by Anonymousreply 6612/08/2012

i haven't read his biography. I wish someone who had, could tell us R66. I haven't seen this musical yet, however i have seen it available in video clubs, i just didn't rent it. Are you sure it's not a boring movie?

by Anonymousreply 6712/08/2012

HCA is a pretty boring movie but the Technicolor and Farley are indeed glorious.

by Anonymousreply 6812/09/2012

Farley does talk about Danny Kaye in his book - he has some very not nice things to say about him on the set of HCA. Farley was very close to Zizi Jeanmaire, the female lead, and hated the way DK treated her, not to mention the fact that Danny insisted on taking the "No Two People" number away from Farley & Zizi to sing for himself.

He makes no direct comment on Danny's supposed gayness, but does call him "unnervingly cozy", which sounds like he was creeped out by Danny's attentions.

by Anonymousreply 6912/09/2012

No Two People was certainly one of the big hit songs from the HCA film, so no big surprise there. I don't remember....does Farley get any song in the film?

by Anonymousreply 7012/09/2012

Farley's character does not sing in HCA. Danny has almost all the songs, and Jeanmaire (dubbed) sings "No Two People" with him.

by Anonymousreply 7112/10/2012

R63, yes, I guess someone thought they paired up well in They Live By Night, so they tried it again.

by Anonymousreply 7212/10/2012

Was Farley ever represented by Henry Willson? He was certainly his type.

But then, I guess not, as Willson would never have allowed that awful name to continue.

Farley certainly never inspired many (any?) namesakes in American baby boys of the 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 7312/10/2012

[quote] Farley certainly never inspired many (any?) namesakes in American baby boys of the 1940s.

My mother LOOOVED Farley and I'm quite certain that if she had given birth to a boy at that time, he's have been stuck with the name Farley.

by Anonymousreply 7412/10/2012

R74, your mother obviously had a good taste.

Jude Law is a poor version of Farley Granger. Don't get me wrong, Law is a good actor, but Farley could have played Jude's parts much better and the result would be far more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 7512/11/2012

Farley was truly engaging and captivating.

by Anonymousreply 7612/11/2012

I feel so lucky that my eye caught 'They Live by Night'. It is a gripping movie and Farley is so appealing and riveting.

by Anonymousreply 7712/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 7812/11/2012

Sorry the zoom didn't work and i don't know why!

Here is one of Farley's divine photos. Jude Law my ass. Oops, i said it!

by Anonymousreply 7912/11/2012

I have seen only four movies with Farley Granger 'Strangers on a Train, 'Rope', 'They Live by Night' and 'Senso'.

That was enough to make me realize that this man was really talented and underrated. I'll try to find more films with him. One of you mentioned 'Side Street'. Definitely i would love to see it. For the moment, i'll rent 'Hans Christian Andersen' which is available.

by Anonymousreply 8012/11/2012

On the audio commentary for They Live by Night (1948), he says that Alfred Hitchcock and Nicholas Ray were the best directors he ever worked with. In addition, his two favorite films of his own are Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train (1951) and Ray's They Live by Night (1948).

You probably knew this but for those who didn't know...i made it easier for you.

by Anonymousreply 8112/11/2012

Beautiful profile

by Anonymousreply 8212/11/2012

1953 Press Photo Farley Granger Dawn Addams British actress

by Anonymousreply 8312/11/2012

Men with beautiful hands Man

by Anonymousreply 8412/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 8512/11/2012

'I Want You'

and i want to see this film too!

by Anonymousreply 8612/11/2012

He looks fetching in 'Roseanna McCoy', don't you think? I wonder why some films are not so easily found like others. There are many garbage movies today that there are easily accessible at the expense of others as it seems. Sad, eh?

by Anonymousreply 8712/11/2012

More than words

by Anonymousreply 8812/11/2012

When i look at Farley is as if i see a beautiful man or a character of a classic novel.

by Anonymousreply 8912/11/2012

Wow! Serious trolling @ R89!

by Anonymousreply 9012/11/2012

R90 what's so funny about 'dashing'? Meh!

I don't just troll as you wrote. I like reminding people about WORTHY and INCREDIBLE actors and actresses. Period!

by Anonymousreply 9112/11/2012

He was gorgeous in The Heiress. He and Olivia DeHavilland were perfect together.

by Anonymousreply 9212/11/2012

R92, yes 'The Heiress' is a very good film. Olivia was awesome but you mistook Montgomery Clift for Farley Granger. It was Montgomery Clift that played with Olivia and not Farley and yes he was gorgeous in it!

by Anonymousreply 9312/11/2012

He seemed smart and skilled

by Anonymousreply 9412/11/2012

He grew up well

by Anonymousreply 9512/11/2012

Something more personal

By the way i love this photo. He is old but pleasant to look at.

by Anonymousreply 9612/11/2012

Thank you, [R93], for correcting me. Indeed it was Monty Clift in The Heiress. My mistake!

by Anonymousreply 9712/11/2012

R92, there are so many movies and actors, it's natural to make mistakes all of us now and then, we can't avoid them.

by Anonymousreply 9812/11/2012

Farley in Senso.

His role was of a charming seductive bastard. Alida Valli played the biggest victim of his charm.

by Anonymousreply 9912/11/2012

r99 you are a brilliant liner with admirable zooming techniques. Let me thank you on behalf of all DL Farley fans on this thread!

by Anonymousreply 10012/11/2012

Farley and Monty had many similarities, or maybe its just the roles they played as young men.

I wonder if Farley's career would be as lauded as Monty's today if he had been signed by another studio (other than Goldwyn) who had put his talents to better use?

I can certainly see him as Morris in The Heiress. Would he have been as effective with Elizabeth Taylor in A PLace in the Sun?

Farley must have coveted many of Monty's roles. Does he talk about him in his autobiography?

by Anonymousreply 10112/11/2012

R100 thanks for your kind words. If you mean them a bit, well you make me very happy. Well, yes, personally i find your observation about the similarities among Farley and Clift to be very fitting. He would make an excellent 'Morris' in 'The Heiress' and i can imagine him with pleasure to play with Taylor in 'A Place in the Sun'.

I have no idea why Farley's career didn't lead him to be considered today as one of the best actors of his time. He surely had that potential. I haven't read his autobiography yet, but i'll buy a kindle for Christmas and it will be more easy to find and read stuff this way. I will certainly inform you when i read something that has to do with your question. It's a very interesting one actually, and i hope there is someone from DL that has already read this book to answer immediately!

Below there is a picture of a very young Farley from his debut movie 'The North Star'. Anne Baxter and Dana Andrews had the lead roles in it. Has anybody seen it?

by Anonymousreply 10212/11/2012

I absolutely meant my comments sincerely r99!

Not only great photos, but so many I've never seen before and practically larger than life!

I see you made some nice contributions to the Stanwyck/Crawford thread as well.

So, thanks again!

by Anonymousreply 10312/11/2012

Thank you too

by Anonymousreply 10412/11/2012

This is such a friendly thread! I love it!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10512/11/2012

This is such a friendly thread. .. I love it!!

by Anonymousreply 10612/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 10712/11/2012

Farley on bed, looking thoughtful, with some papers(it's probably a script)and a pen on his hand.

by Anonymousreply 10812/11/2012

*swoon*.. Thanks, R107!

by Anonymousreply 10912/11/2012

Back then not all straight actors had to be supermacho, most were not; therefore, gay actors who weren't supermacho didn't read as obviously gay.

The problem isn't then. It's now.

by Anonymousreply 11012/11/2012

Judging by many of these photos, Farley was quite a fashion plate and he's undoubtedly one of few men whose photos you could look at today and appreciate some of those styles, like the high-waisted trousers and large collared sport shirts.

by Anonymousreply 11112/11/2012

Yes, guys Farley was chic...

by Anonymousreply 11212/12/2012

There was some kind integrity in his look and in him in general

by Anonymousreply 11312/12/2012

*kind of

by Anonymousreply 11412/12/2012

Reading fiction...

By the way 'The Edge of Doom' became a movie in which starred Farley and Dana Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 11512/12/2012 is with Ann Blyth. They are posing for the movie 'Our Very Own'

by Anonymousreply 11612/12/2012

by Anonymousreply 11712/12/2012

Manipulative in Senso

by Anonymousreply 11812/12/2012

by Anonymousreply 11912/12/2012

A not very clear photo of Farley but he looks sexy and casual in it.

by Anonymousreply 12012/12/2012

Farley Granger charm

by Anonymousreply 12112/12/2012

Farley hmmm

by Anonymousreply 12212/14/2012

R92/r93 you are both correct, however; Granger did play Morris, with Julie Harris as Catherine in a TV version of The Heiress in 1961.

by Anonymousreply 12309/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!