Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you listen to NPR? If so, what shows?

Did you ever see the movie Haiku Tunnel, where Josh Kornbluth talks about not listening anymore to NPR because he began to "consider all things?"

That's how it is for me. I actually listened to a woman discuss her book about trees. It lasted about 10 minutes and I listened to the whole thing. It also reminded me of the SNL skit with Alec Baldwin called Schetty Balls.

I heart it though.

by Anonymousreply 7611/09/2014

I listen to the Diane Rehm Show. I like her outlook and I usually like her guests - gaining a lot of information from inside the Beltway. OTOH, it sounds sort of funny to hear her say that listeners can tweet her.

by Anonymousreply 104/14/2010

I enjoy the Sound of Young America.

by Anonymousreply 204/14/2010

I download TAL podcast.

by Anonymousreply 304/14/2010

Weeknights - Fred Child's Performance Today.

by Anonymousreply 404/14/2010

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me

by Anonymousreply 504/14/2010

I listen to All Things Considered, Democracy Now and Performance Today. When I remember, I tune in Frick and Frack on Sunday evenings.

by Anonymousreply 604/14/2010

The World, not technically NPR but rather PRI/BBC. Also BBC Newshour.

by Anonymousreply 704/14/2010

"Fresh Air" with Terry Gross is almost always worth listening to. Diane Roehm is hit or miss, but the political roundtables are always interesting.

"Talk of the Nation" at 2 to 4 eastern can be great, depending on the topics. Science Fridays on the show with Ira are usually fascinating in a geeky way.

And on weekends, "Wait Wait" and "This American Life" are some of the best radio anywhere, ever.

by Anonymousreply 804/14/2010

whatever they have at the hour of the morning when I wake - which is various. Just fifteen minutes or so but that every day.

by Anonymousreply 904/14/2010

Car Talk with those two crazy brothers and their Chicago accents and zany laughing. They always seem to be on the car radio as I drive around for my Saturday morning NY Times and errands.

by Anonymousreply 1004/14/2010

Uh, they're from Boston.

by Anonymousreply 1104/14/2010

OP here, I meant to write Schwetty Balls.

I think I have a love-hate relationship with NPR because the whole Lake Wobegone thing drives me insane. Love Frick and Frack though.

They also went through a serious North Korea phase a few months ago and I learned a TON about that country. Very interesting stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1204/14/2010

Prairie Home Companion

Live from the Mountain Stage

Beale Street Caravan

The Thistle and Shamrock

From the Top (although the banter is kind of cheesy sometimes)

Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me

Hearts of Space

Classical Guitar Alive

Pipe Dreams.

And of course, the great shows that Iowa Public Radio puts on, including Live from Studio One, The Exchange (a great call-in news show), and Backtracks with Bob Dorr. Bob Dorr gets the best vinyl and rare tracks and plays them every weekend. Sometimes he does a show where he plays the entire show with records he bought for under a dollar.

by Anonymousreply 1304/15/2010

Please support green peace, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 1404/15/2010

Car Talk

Fresh Air

On Point

Radio Times

Talk of the Nation

Wait Wait

This American Life

The World

Is Diane Roehm the one with the shaky voice? if that's her I can't listen, it drives me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 1504/15/2010

All Things Considered

Wait Wait

Car Talk

Talk of the Nation

The Splendid Table

Diane Roehm

by Anonymousreply 1604/15/2010

You bet Your Garden!

by Anonymousreply 1704/15/2010

Coast 2 Coast Podcast rocks!

by Anonymousreply 1804/15/2010

Years ago Patton Oswalt mocked NPR. He did all the sound effects you always hear in the background and if I remember correctly he was pretending to interview some 105 year old lady from god knows where about the afghan she was creating. Something like that.

I was crying I was laughing so hard.

by Anonymousreply 1904/15/2010

Joe Frank - although his show tends to run hot or cold. He can be so-so one week, crappy the next, then great the week after that. I never know until I listen.

by Anonymousreply 2004/15/2010

Many of the shows mentioned, I'm unfamiliar with, but I'm an unabashed NPR junkie. My Sundays aren't complete without Wait, Wait. Does anyone else find Kai Ryssdal's voice seriously hot? I had to look him up after listening for a long time. Love that man.

by Anonymousreply 2104/15/2010

I listen less than I used to do, but still sometimes catch these shows:

Fresh Air

Diane Rehm (Friday Roundup)

Car Talk

Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me

This American Life

Science Friday

Splendid Table

Prairie Home Companion

Live from Mountain Stage

Studio 360

by Anonymousreply 2204/15/2010

This, R19?

by Anonymousreply 2304/15/2010

I love National People's Radio!

by Anonymousreply 2404/15/2010

NO that's definitely not it.

It could've been an interview kind of thing or something because he was much more low key and I remember him lowering his voice almost to a whisper the way they do, and interjecting the sound effects which sounded real and now that I think about it, I think he was describing it to someone. He was really funny. That was not funny.

by Anonymousreply 2504/15/2010

NPR is snoozeville, and runs on old demographic traditional jazz and classical stations in my neighborhood I never listen.

PRI is the primary affiliation of the hipper alternative local pub station.

This American Life - Really brilliant stream of consciousness radio journalism.

BBC World News

Bob Edwards

Wiretap - CBC originated and at times a very funny slice of humanity.

And from an independent network (Native Voice One) distributed by CPB and NPR, Gregg McVicar's "Undercurrents", a very good alternative rock and Americana music show.

by Anonymousreply 2604/15/2010

Diane Rehm sounds and comes across like she is 100 years old, when actually she is a very youthful looking silver fox with nice hair and makeup and no wrinkles !

by Anonymousreply 2704/15/2010

So where are all the Brian Lehrer fans?

by Anonymousreply 2804/15/2010

Big Top Chautauqua.

by Anonymousreply 2904/15/2010

I love Brian Lehrer (thanks for asking!) and Leonard Lopate but they sound like the same person, no? Some of the nuts they have to deal with who call in....they are very patient men.

by Anonymousreply 3004/15/2010

All these people who say they hate to hear Diane Rehm's voice remind me of an old boss who use to say that she hated to see the skinny bodies of people with aids and the bald heads of people undergoing chemo.

If a broadcaster, politician, or actor gets a disease like spasmodic dysphonia why not be mature about it rather than making fun or saying "I cannot listen to that."

I just hope your health remains good for your entire life.

by Anonymousreply 3104/15/2010

The problem with public radio is that some stations have better programing than others.

I loved my station, then moved 50 miles and my new stations ran NONE of the programs I listened to regularly. Now I am stuck with crap like The Splendid Table, which is always on when I drive.

by Anonymousreply 3204/15/2010

I listen to NPR all the time: Morning Edition, BBC World Service, Diane Rehm, Fresh Air, All Things Considered, Marketplace, The World, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, This American Life, What Do You Know?, Car Talk...

But the "call-in" shows drive me batty. Write down your questions, people!

And Prairie Home Companion is my kryptonite. So cloying and cutesy-folksy.

by Anonymousreply 3304/15/2010

Are those Car Talk boys really from Boston? Those are not Boston accents.

by Anonymousreply 3404/15/2010

Does anyone else here listen to American Roots (or Routes)? It is a show based out of New Orleans-best music show ever!

by Anonymousreply 3504/15/2010

Yes, R34, they natter on about growing up near roxborough etc.

by Anonymousreply 3604/15/2010

[quote]If a broadcaster, politician, or actor gets a disease like spasmodic dysphonia why not be mature about it rather than making fun or saying "I cannot listen to that."

I think a lot of people don't know why Diane Rehm's voice sounds like that and they assume it's old age.

It's amazing that someone with spasmodic dysphonia has the stamina to work in radio. This neurological disorder that attacks the voice has her sounding like an old lady for many years and she's very aware of that fact, but you could say she's growing into her voice since she's now in her 70s.

She loathes Rush Limbaugh and that makes me a big fan.

by Anonymousreply 3704/15/2010

I get a hard-on everytime I hear Marion McPartland on piano jazz.

by Anonymousreply 3804/15/2010

I could listen to Ira Glass read the phone book.

I just want him to whisper "pwedge drive" in my ear over and over.......

If that was my donation gift, I just might donate.

by Anonymousreply 3904/15/2010

When Diane Rehm was 9-years-old, living in Washington, DC, she was molested by a member of Congress. She refuses to name the man.

by Anonymousreply 4004/15/2010

Diane Rehm is old. Her voice reminds me of my grandma's writing.

by Anonymousreply 4104/15/2010

I enjoy the PRI iPhone app.

There's also an NPR app, which is nice for listening to the hourly news updates and individual stories on Morning Edition and ATC.

by Anonymousreply 4204/15/2010

Lenny Lopate.

by Anonymousreply 4304/15/2010

Roxbury is near Boston. I don't know where Roxborough is. Perhaps near Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 4404/15/2010

"Talk of the Nation" is going away. I'll miss Neil Conan. Even when our national talk has been dire, he always provided a calming voice.

Diane Rehm's show is usually filled with fascinating guests. The best part is that she's not afraid to put them on the spot in order to find out what people want to know. I love it when she says, "You still haven't answered the question," and follows with the same question until they reply. It's great that she can keep broadcasting even with that illness that causes vocal problems.

by Anonymousreply 4503/29/2013

My pet peeve is when someone talks about something they heard "on NPR," rather than naming the program.

by Anonymousreply 4603/29/2013

Won't miss that smarmy Neal Conan one bit.

by Anonymousreply 4703/29/2013

I listen to 'Fresh Air' regularly, Terri Gross is a great interviewer, and will sometimes catch 'This American Life. ' 'Wait, Wait' is hit or miss depending on who is on the panel.

I will not listen to call-in shows, they drive me crazy. I'm not interested in what the general public has to say.

I also can't tolerate 'Prairie Home Companion'. It's way too precious for my taste and listening to Garrison Keillor 'sing' is a frightening experience.

by Anonymousreply 4803/29/2013

I love the NPR Music app.

One annoying thing about local NPR stations is that they don't all play the entire hourly news update. My local station breaks in halfway through with "local news" (local press releases, actually). Now that I'm able to stream any NPR station on the iPhone app, I've discovered some (such as KCRW) that broadcast ten full minutes of news summary.

by Anonymousreply 4903/29/2013

r34, Roxborough is a western section of Philadelphia. Radio and television stations have their transmitters at the Antenna Farm.

by Anonymousreply 5003/29/2013

So, in other words, R48, if someone really wanted to torture you, they would force you to listen to the C-Span morning show.

by Anonymousreply 5103/29/2013

I'm a big fan of Diane Rehm, because her shows are so informative and she does pin her guests down. I also usually listen to Fresh Air.

I won't miss Neal Conan either.

by Anonymousreply 5203/29/2013

I e-mail the "Diane Rehm Show," "Talk of the Nation," and "Here and Now" several times a month; I don't listen every day. The funny thing is that, even when they only use my first name, I'll hear from friends who say, "I heard your comments on the radio." Years ago, Katie Couric read an e-mail from me on the Today show. Used just my first name and state. All kinds of friends phoned to ask if I had sent that in. It was just a surprise that so many people I knew were watching at that moment.

Terry Gross can sometimes conduct an interview that totally knocks it out of the ballpark. Then, a few days later, she'll go into her uh, um, giggle-giggle, uh, you know, um, you know, uh, nervous giggle.

by Anonymousreply 5303/30/2013

Why is the other NPR thread closed?

Look, has PRI's Marco Werman always had a lisp and I'm just now noticing or has something gone horribly wrong inside his mouth?

by Anonymousreply 5409/09/2013

The thread on NPR's most annoying voices reached 600 in May. There's a new one now.

by Anonymousreply 5509/12/2013

On The Media Studio 360 Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me

and the wonderful SAYS YOU!

by Anonymousreply 5609/12/2013

City Arts & Lectures. No podcasts available, which is frustrating, but I've learned to set TuneIn to record it when it's broadcast on KQED.

by Anonymousreply 5709/12/2013

Diane Rehm Wait Wait Terry Gross Car guys Splendid Table All Things Considered On Point Marker Place science Friday

Locally- John dankosky, Colin McEnroe And whatever else I hear while at home or in the car. My radio I always tuned in to NPR

by Anonymousreply 5811/06/2014

The Car Talk guy died this week.

by Anonymousreply 5911/06/2014

So, who do you think is the hottest guy in public radio right now? Kai Ryssdal kinda makes my stock ticker rise.

by Anonymousreply 6011/06/2014

My weekend starts with THE DINNER PARTY and the RETRO COCKTAIL HOUR

Weekend listening: PIPE DREAMS and the SPLENDID TABLE

At first, I loathed Diane Rehm's voice. But I realized that she is one of the best interviewers in the business

by Anonymousreply 6111/06/2014

R60, he has such a smarmy voice.

by Anonymousreply 6211/06/2014

I heard the tribute to him just the other day, R59, it was very touching.

And by the way, it's Klick and Klack, not Frick and Frack or whatever the other poster called them. I know jack about cars really, but listen every time it's on.

Listening to NPR almost exclusively was one of the signs I knew I was getting old.

I think Kai Ryssdal sounds hot too, though sometimes a tad smarmy.

by Anonymousreply 6311/06/2014

All of them

by Anonymousreply 6411/06/2014

I am really surprised at all the Diane Rehm fans. I can't think of any other instance where someone's disability or medical condition distracted me like her voice does. If some people have a "face for radio," she has a voice for silent film. I mean, in theory and on principle I'm glad she kept her job and that she has an audience who focus on the content of her message. But when I try to listen to her I keep thinking she sounds like she's on her deathbed.

I love just about everything else on NPR. For about a year I liked Prairie Home Companion but the schtick got old and now I can't stand it. My local station plays Fresh Air, Wait Wait, this American Life, The Moth Radio Hour, BBC World News, PRI, etc and I love it all.

by Anonymousreply 6511/06/2014

It's interesting how many people think everything they hear on public radio is an NPR show.

by Anonymousreply 6611/06/2014

r66, don't even try to explain it. They'll still be confused.

by Anonymousreply 6711/06/2014

I loathe Kai Ryssdal. For me Marketplace is insufferable. He thinks he's being clever and fast-paced and all I ever hear is a smarmy used car salesman. Or some loser on the make in a bar, trying too hard to impress.

I can't say it enough, I loathe the man. I wish they'd fire him.

And wish NPR would kick Steve Inskeep off Morning Edition. He's a fine foreign correspondent but as a host, he's always so impressed with himself and super serious and skeptical in interviews. He's not funny, just sounds childish. His laugh make me cringe.

Thank the radio God's have given us David Greene. A true Inskeep antidote.

Wait Wait is a favorite - especially now with Bill Curtis. Carl's very old, good he finally retired.

Selected Shorts is always a fine hour on a Sunday. It's missing something without Isaiah but not enough to keep me away.

Radio Deluxe is also good to hear during the weekend. It feels very "old timey" with John and Jessica's banter and then some music... "high atop Lexington Avenue, it's Radio Deluxe"

by Anonymousreply 6811/06/2014

r30, WNYC wants fewer callers to Leonard Lopate. That's why Pat O'Conner (The Grammar Maven) is now heard every other month. Lucky for us she'll be on Wednesday, November 19.

by Anonymousreply 6911/06/2014

I especially enjoy Morning Edition to get Supreme Court updates from Nina Totenberg. She's the only one who can deliver all the ins and outs and behind the scenes drama of the court.

by Anonymousreply 7011/07/2014

Agreed, R70, Nina Totenberg is wonderful. Always a smart, comprehensive, interesting breakdown of the sometimes byzantine SCOTUS process. I also love when she reads transcripts of the SCOTUS sessions. Have you picked up your Nina Totin' Bag from the NPR shop? ;)

by Anonymousreply 7111/07/2014

I love "Science Friday" with Ira Flatow. He gets excited over new discoveries and asks a lot of questions to make things easier to understand.

"This American Life" can be very interesting, but Ira Glass' whine can be a bit much some days.

by Anonymousreply 7211/07/2014

"Fresh Air" with Terry Gross.

by Anonymousreply 7311/07/2014

I love when Lenny Lopate tries to impress a guest with knowledge of their career and the performer tells him he's got the wrong show or wrong time frame. As my bubby would say "He thinks who he is."

by Anonymousreply 7411/08/2014

Why would anyone listen to Neil Patrick Harris?

by Anonymousreply 7511/08/2014

Our NPR station plays old-time radio on Sunday night. I've been introduced to some fantastic old movies with the original stars doing the 55-minute radio version. Cecil B. DeMille is the host for some of them.

by Anonymousreply 7611/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!