Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Timmy White, Boy Kidnapped With Steven Stayner, Dies

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. - Timothy White, the youngest victim and last survivor of a notorious California kidnapping saga whose rescue offered hope to parents of missing children, has died.

He was 35.

Timothy White was 5 years old when he was kidnapped in Ukiah by child molester Kenneth Parnell.

Two weeks later, fellow kidnap victim Steven Stayner, 14, fled with the boy, known as "Timmy," and hitchhiked to safety.

The dramatic story was told in the 1989 television movie, "I Know My First Name is Steven."

White's stepfather, Roger Gitlin, said White died April 1 of an apparent pulmonary embolism.

He was buried Thursday in the town of Newhall, where he had worked as a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy.

Parnell died in prison in 2008. Stayner, who was held captive by Parnell for seven years, died in a 1989 motorcycle crash.

The kidnappings exacted a heavy toll on the Stayner family.

Stayner's brother, Cary, is in San Quentin State Prison awaiting execution for killing four women in Yosemite National Park in 1999.

His parents testified at his trial that they felt they neglected him, preoccupied with searching for Steven.

White lived with his wife, Dena, and two children.

He also is survived by his mother, father and sister.

by Anonymousreply 8103/15/2015

That's just sad.

by Anonymousreply 204/09/2010

When bad things happen to good people.

by Anonymousreply 404/09/2010

Oh man, a pulmonary embolism? That guy had the worst luck in the world! I hope eincarnation is for real, and he gets a chance to live a happy life the next time.

by Anonymousreply 504/09/2010

Not related to this case, but new research is showing that childhood trauma is linked to disease later in life. Generally, cancers and auto-immune disorders. Sadly, if you don't kill yourself or become an addict, you may have a higher risk of pretty terrible diseases. That really sucks.

by Anonymousreply 604/09/2010

Even creepier is that Steven Stayner's brother is Cary Stayner, who is in prison on death row for murdering several women in Yosemite National Park in 1999.

by Anonymousreply 704/09/2010

And if you're wondering what happened to the author of "I Know My First Name Is Sreven": [italic]Mike Echols died in 2003 at age 58 in the Monterey County Jail in California from a pulmonary embolism. He was in jail for failing to appear in court after being charged with indecent exposure, among other crimes.

by Anonymousreply 904/09/2010

[/italic] (Closing my italics.)

by Anonymousreply 1004/09/2010

R8:

Almost 20 years apart. Steven was found and brought home in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 1104/09/2010

oh and Cary's actual crimes were committed between February and July 1999.

by Anonymousreply 1204/09/2010

The curse of Steven Stayner continues. Everyone he came in contact with has died prematurely.

by Anonymousreply 1304/09/2010

R12 Thanks

by Anonymousreply 1404/09/2010

That whole thing is just incredibly sad.

by Anonymousreply 1504/09/2010

R13, except for Kenneth Parnell.

by Anonymousreply 1604/09/2010

I know his mother and never knew about this until he died this week; the funeral procession was very long; he worked as a prison guard. Sick with a flu for a few weeks; this death came out of nowhere...

by Anonymousreply 1804/10/2010

>>>>The kidnappings exacted a heavy toll on the Stayner family. Stayner's brother, Cary, is in San Quentin State Prison awaiting execution for killing four women in Yosemite National Park in 1999. His parents testified at his trial that they felt they neglected him, preoccupied with searching for Steven. No, Cary stainer is a piece of fucking shit who raped and murdered several women because he wanted to, because he enjoyed it. It wasn't because his parents neglected him. Shame on them for having the damn nerve to say that line of bullshit

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2010

So wait, the author and Timmy both died of the same thing? Now that's eerie.

That's like how Evita and Peron's first wife both died of the same disease -- uterine cancer.

by Anonymousreply 2004/10/2010

Somehow I think the horrible Kevin Collins kidnapping was related to this whole tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 2104/10/2010

I remember this case when it happened and was very upset when Steven was accidently killed. Now Tim is dead, too.

Life is too cruel sometimes. God Bless them both, their families as well. :(

by Anonymousreply 2204/10/2010

Proof that neither God nor Karma is real.

by Anonymousreply 2404/10/2010

"It wasn't because his parents neglected him. Shame on them for having the damn nerve to say that line of bullshit"

Maybe they felt horribly guilty. Who the fuck are you to tell them otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 2504/10/2010

Cary Stayner was having violent hallucinations as early as childhood. It is possible that if his parents hadn't been so understandably preoccupied with Steven, they'd have noticed that he was seriously mentally ill and intervened much earlier on, possibly being able to prevent the murders.

Of course no one can know for sure, but I can appreciate that they feel a lot of guilt about it, especially since they were victimized horribly themselves by Kenneth Parnell.

by Anonymousreply 2604/10/2010

[quote]No, Cary stainer is a piece of fucking shit who raped and murdered several women because he wanted to, because he enjoyed it. It wasn't because his parents neglected him. Shame on them for having the damn nerve to say that line of bullshit

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 2704/10/2010

They say pedophiles have a knack for finding children who have problems at home. I think that's why Parnell kidnapped Steven Stayner. There were problems in that family. The oldest son Cary, the one who killed those women, started pulling out his hair when he was 3 years old. Steven had not even been born yet, so tracing Cary Stayner's problems to Steven's kidnapping is bullshit.

And Cary killed 6 people. His uncle Jerry was found dead of a shotgun wound when Cary was living with him and he confessed to beheading another woman, a naturalist who worked in Yosemite.

by Anonymousreply 2804/10/2010

Meant to add that when Kenneth Parnell saw Steven Stayner, he saw a victim. Because of the problems at home, Steven probably had a air of uncertainty and neglect about him. Seems more likely that Cary Stayner, being on medication since age 3, was more of the center of attention in the family, and that Steven's kidnapping was probably more a result of Cary's problems among the family rather than Cary's problems being the result of Steven's kidnapping.

by Anonymousreply 2904/10/2010

I live in the same area Tim did, and his mother was an acquaitance of mine. Until his death no one knew about this. It was mind blowing when it came out in our local paper after his death. Tragic...

by Anonymousreply 3006/26/2010

Steven and Cary Stayner are my cousins. Our family was devastated by these tragedys. Their father just died ... with a broken heart.

We were shocked when we found out about Cary. He was always so nice, quiet and thoughtful.

Cary's father was a kind, gentle soul and loved his children with all of his heart.

The whole world grieved for the families of the victims and the whole world hated Cary, but, Cary's parents lost their son too.

There were no winners in this story.

by Anonymousreply 3106/03/2013

Is it too early for a betting pool on the date of death for the mother?

by Anonymousreply 3206/03/2013

I know I read somewhere that Cary Stayner was molested by his uncle, and the uncle was thrown in jail for it. This is the same uncle that Cary decided to live with as an adult , who turned up shot to death. Has Cary ever confessed to that murder, cousin Linda?

by Anonymousreply 3406/03/2013

To the person who said this

"It wasn't because his parents neglected him. Shame on them for having the damn nerve to say that line of bullshit"

Maybe they felt horribly guilty. Who the fuck are you to tell them otherwise?

by: Anonymoustreply 25t04/10/2010 @ 12:45PM "

This is what the person said

" His parents testified at his trial that they felt they neglected him, preoccupied with searching for Steven"

The person never said his parent's neglected him said. They said the parent's themselve's said they felt they neglected him.

So shame on you for accusing them of saying something they didn't say. Who the fuck are you to call them out for something they didn't even say?

by Anonymousreply 3507/02/2013

Childhood trauma ruins you.

by Anonymousreply 3703/13/2015

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 3803/13/2015

[You do realize that this is a troll, right? You might want to stop talking to it.]

by Anonymousreply 3903/13/2015

Cary Stayner was one hot killer. Of course prison has made him old and fat but when he was drawing blood he was hot!

by Anonymousreply 4003/13/2015

I balled my eyes out watching this movie many years ago. It was so weird, it was a really well done TV movie that was incredibly affecting. I rarely cry because of a movie but there was something so sad about this case.

by Anonymousreply 4103/13/2015

r17, there is no such thing as "only" 76.

by Anonymousreply 4203/13/2015

[quote]I balled my eyes out watching this movie many years ago.

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 4303/13/2015

I was 14 or 15 when that TV movie came out and I agree with another poster, it was well done. Lifetime and LMN used to re air it a lot years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4403/13/2015

R19, yeah, even Cary himself claimed after his arrest that he had fantasized about murdering women since he was seven years old, long before the abduction of his brother.

by Anonymousreply 4503/13/2015

I didn't realize Steven died just four months after the movie aired. That must've been weird.

by Anonymousreply 4603/13/2015

The entire movie is on YouTube:

by Anonymousreply 4703/13/2015

[quote]The guy who took him was the real hero.

Only on DL would a child molester be a hero.

by Anonymousreply 4903/13/2015

J

by Anonymousreply 5003/13/2015

[R48] [R51] You're a sick fucking pig and probably a pedo yourself. Get help now before you ruin more lives.

by Anonymousreply 5203/13/2015

R41 you balled your eyes out watching this movie many years ago because you have a heart.

by Anonymousreply 5403/13/2015

Steve Stayner's case is one of the reasons parents of missing children hold on to (mostly) false hope that their child will be found alive someday.

by Anonymousreply 5503/13/2015

ummmm, bawled r54. Dope.

by Anonymousreply 5603/13/2015

R38, r48, r51= pedophiles

by Anonymousreply 5703/13/2015

really explained it. Steven had wanted a dog. The very first morning after his "initiation" to sexual abuse, Parnell woke him up with a stray dog.

by Anonymousreply 5803/13/2015

R54, there is no such thing as "balling your eyes out," unless you gouge them out with a melon baller. It's "bawling" for crying, "ball" is a child's bouncing toy. And to the earlier poster, there is no such thing as "themselve's." If you're using a plural, there is no apostrophe. That really bothers people, because anyone over eight or nine should know this and watching people add one apostrophe after another in places where they are completely inappropriate and never used in any context, like "themselves," is really distracting and irritating. Older people cannot figure out how the hell you got through college without knowing how to read and write.

I'm not trying to be offensive, it's just so incredibly illiterate nobody can understand why suddenly thousands of people can't write English. This all became a fad over just a decade or two, before that almost every American knew never to do this, it was just a given.

By no means does that mean anybody is ridiculing a person for being sad, the ridicule was for using the spelling of an elementary school age child that would have been ridiculed by the fourth or fifth grade. I'm not whoever originally complained about this, it bothers me too. You just can't understand how stupid and illiterate this looks to most people. Please fix it because you are saying something really bad about yourself when you don't know the difference. I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm saying it to help you. No employer wants to see this, ever.

by Anonymousreply 5903/13/2015

Sorry for the run-on sentences above, I'm sick and on meds that are putting me to sleep.

It's really common for pedophiles to deliberately look for children from broken homes. If offering a child a toy or pet means they have a sex toy to rape at will, they're going to do that. A child is innocent and doesn't understand they're being manipulated. If Steven became attached to his kidnapper, it could well be because the kidnapper manipulated him to believe he was more loved and appreciated by the kidnapper than he was at home. That doesn't mean the kidnapper wasn't an opportunistic, manipulative rapist, cynically lying to an innocent child. It just means the kidnapper knew what to say to keep him from running away.

It's common for kidnapped children to be told their parents didn't love them and gave them away to the kidnapper, or the kidnapper is a good guy saving them from bad parents. That doesn't make the kidnapper a saint. Bad parents and kidnappers are both bad things. It's sad when those are the only two choices a child has.

Somebody on this thread is too pro-kidnapper. Nothing the Stayners did as parents justifies what Steven went through at the hands of a child rapist.

by Anonymousreply 6003/13/2015

Part of my post was deleted. The TV movie didn't go into the issues Steven had with his family.

When he returned after a wild upbringing, drinking and smoking to deal with his situation, his parents responded like he was the same little boy that had been stolen from them.

by Anonymousreply 6103/13/2015

[quote]"It wasn't because his parents neglected him. Shame on them for having the damn nerve to say that line of bullshit"

Yeah, what a bag of bullshit. I know plenty of people whose parents neglected them, and they're lovely people. What does wanting to murder women have to do with that.

[quote]Stayner claimed after his arrest that he had fantasized about murdering women since he was seven years old, long before the abduction of his brother

by Anonymousreply 6203/13/2015

Did Steven keep up the butt secks after being returned to his parents?

by Anonymousreply 6303/13/2015

Is it common to bawl when you are balled?

by Anonymousreply 6403/13/2015

R63, According to the TV movie he quickly found a steady girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 6503/13/2015

Do we know much about Timmy's life with his family after he was saved?

by Anonymousreply 6603/14/2015

I regularly drive past the property where these boys were kept. It has a breathtaking view of the valley - the first time I saw it I had to pull over and take it in. The house is still off the grid, and for many years has been the home of the prior postmistress of our small town. It's a winding 10 miles to the nearest anything.

by Anonymousreply 6703/14/2015

"Kenneth Parnell was only 76 when he died, dying mysteriously of "natural causes"

"Only 76?" I guess you're joking...feebly. At any rate, he lived 76 years too long. The guy was a sick, sick bastard who liked sex with little boys. Why in hell wasn't he thrown in jail for life after Steven Stayner finally fled his clutches with the next little boy victim in tow? That fucking freak deserved the death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 6803/14/2015

R69 lots of people say that men who rape little girls should be killed. Child rapist are considered the bottom of the barrel by most of western civalization.

by Anonymousreply 7003/14/2015

r70, people defended the Steubenville rapists. People consider child molesters who touch boys to be "the bottom of the barrel" because they think the worst thing that can happen to a male is to be touched by another male sexually

That's why we have "gay panic" defenses but not the reverse. Even the most misogynistic gay man would not kill a woman who hit on him.

by Anonymousreply 7103/14/2015

R59, your post about grammar made me laugh out loud, with appreciation.

by Anonymousreply 7203/14/2015

John Walsh got a great career out of his wife leaving their kid in Sears so she could go fuck her lover out in the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 7303/14/2015

R71 the Stubenville victim wasn't 7. There were men on this sight mocking a male victim of rape. It was some guy pissing outside at some festival who got attacked by a man or men. People view child rape as worse than teen on teen or adult on adult.

by Anonymousreply 7403/14/2015

Thanks R72! It just drives me crazy when I see this wildly incorrect spelling. Unfortunately, people get so sarcastic and mean about it, the people that are erring discount the correction as mean spirited, instead of simply learning from the criticism and correcting their spelling.

by Anonymousreply 7503/14/2015

Correct, R57. Pedophiles think, or think they can convince others, that they are helping the child in some way.

It's creepy that there are like-minded types on here.

by Anonymousreply 7603/14/2015

With all the nonsense going on in the world, nothing gets my blood boiling more than child abuse.

by Anonymousreply 7703/14/2015

Why is that, R77?

by Anonymousreply 7803/14/2015

Cary Staner, the mass murderer, was a dream boat!

by Anonymousreply 7903/15/2015

[quote]I balled my eyes out watching this movie many years ago.

I'm with you, R43. I, too, had visions of Oedipus gouging out his eyes. Then I laughed!

by Anonymousreply 8003/15/2015

Yeesh! How snake-bitten can one group of people get?

by Anonymousreply 8103/15/2015
Need more help? Click Here.