Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Marisa Tomei

Enough with the bashing on this site. Whether or not she earned the Oscar, she's had two more nominations for excellent performances.

Other than Vanessa, am I supposed to feel bad that Joan Plowright (who?) didn't get an award for being married to a famous guy?

Let's see - Miranda Richardson? No more nominations. Judy Davis? Genius, but no more film roles or nominations.

I actually think Marisa should have won for "In the Bedroom" as well.

There. I said it.

by Anonymousreply 12604/08/2013

I think Miranda should have been nominated for Kansas City.

by Anonymousreply 104/09/2010

Marisa had one good scene in In The Bedroom. It wasn't worth an Oscar. That was an overrated movie.

by Anonymousreply 204/09/2010

She's a great actress. She should have won for the Wrestler. She'll eventually get another Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 304/09/2010

I'd hardly call failing to receive any more Oscar nominations as evidence of an actor's ability. The Oscars have proven themselves to be the bastion of mediocrity.

by Anonymousreply 404/09/2010

Miranda Richardson should've been nominated and won for her expert performance in David Cronenberg's Spider.

Marisa is a good actress though, she carried that movie in a way that the other actresses didn't (have to). I liked her performance in In The Bedroom as well, very moving.

by Anonymousreply 504/09/2010

I thought she was great in My Cousin Vinny. Comedy is hard.

by Anonymousreply 604/09/2010

I have always liked her. Even back in the "A Different World" days. There's just something about her I find charming.

I, too, think she is going to win another one.

And when she does, I hope she hold the open envelope right up to the camera to show the world that she actually won, just as a funny aside.

by Anonymousreply 704/09/2010

"I have always liked her. Even back in the "A Different World" days. There's just something about her I find charming."

Feel the same way about her. Girlfriend is looking great too!

by Anonymousreply 804/09/2010

I'm with R6. I think it's a shame how the Oscars tend to overlook comedy and that she gave a great comedic performance.

by Anonymousreply 1004/09/2010

I think she's been pretty good in everything she's in. She has nothing to apologize for.

by Anonymousreply 1104/09/2010

Gay, or not? What say you?

by Anonymousreply 1204/09/2010

I never understood all the praise for My Cousin Vinny. Overrated and annoying with unimaginative stereotypical character portrayals.

Her Oscar nom was a joke to me. Let alone the win. Otherwise she has done very nice work here and there.

by Anonymousreply 1304/09/2010

Is she going to pull a Julianne Moore and return to her old stomping grounds before the show goes off the air?

by Anonymousreply 1404/09/2010

Marisa in "My Cousin Vinny" is a gem. It's a performance on par with Judy Holliday's in "Born Yesterday". An actress soaring in what would normally be considered a minor, thin role.

Other than Vanessa Redgrave, none of the other nominees were as good as people make them out to be. And the performances haven't aged well at all.

by Anonymousreply 1504/09/2010

Loves getting her tits out. Bless her.

by Anonymousreply 1604/09/2010

I recently watched My Cousin Vinny - not only does the movie hold up today, her performance is great. Sure the Oscar was a surprise, but she earned it.

by Anonymousreply 1704/09/2010

I've always enjoyed her performances. I think she's pretty solid as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2010

I wonder if she's ever shoved it up her Va-j-j.

by Anonymousreply 2004/10/2010

I really liked her in the Ides of March.

Does anyone remember The Perez Family?

by Anonymousreply 2104/01/2012

She was good in [italic]Before the Devil Knows You're Dead[/italic]. And I found Ethan Hawke more interesting playing someone a bit creepy and not a pretty boy. He's a better character actor than leading man.

by Anonymousreply 2204/01/2012

R21 is deranged in her thread bumping. Matching dates (almost) and everything.

by Anonymousreply 2304/01/2012

Not only do I remember it, R21, i LOVE it. She is so fantastically hot and sensual in that movie.

I've never cared that people moan that she undeservedly won an Oscar. I've never cared that people say she is a crazy bitch. I've only cared that she has luscious tits and enjoys showing them to us on a fairly regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 2404/01/2012

I like her. She never disappoints. She's been dating 10-years-younger Logan Marshall-Green for a while now, lucky girl. He's practically Tom Hardy's twin.

by Anonymousreply 2504/01/2012

OP = George Costanza

by Anonymousreply 2604/01/2012

That guy Logan's hotter than Tom Hardy. Go Marisa!

by Anonymousreply 2704/01/2012

Marisa acted alongside both Meg Ryan and Julianne Moore on As The World Turns.

Marisa and Julianne have no problems talking about ATWT if anyone asks.

For Meg Ryan, that is not a topic she discusses.

When ATWT casting director Betty Rea won a special award, both Marisa and Sherry Springfield attended to thank Betty for giving them their big break.

Meg was nowhere to be seen.

by Anonymousreply 2804/01/2012

Miranda Richardson was nominated for an Academy Award after Damage - Tom & Viv alongside Sarandon, Foster, Ryder and Lange. She had three films nominated that year. Damage was the best performance but the weakest film.

by Anonymousreply 2904/01/2012

Shoot, they should have nominated Fred Gwynne for his role in "My Cousin Vinny" as well.

by Anonymousreply 3104/01/2012

She fucks women?

by Anonymousreply 3211/15/2012

Jay Mohr on: Marisa Tomei vs Sarah Jessica Parker

by Anonymousreply 3311/15/2012

What about her and George Costanza???

by Anonymousreply 3411/15/2012

Shower Scene...

by Anonymousreply 3511/15/2012

Aaah!

by Anonymousreply 3611/15/2012

Tomei was wonderful in My Cousin Vinnie. Some people just think comedy is easy.

It's not. It's hard.

With the exception of Davis, though (sorry, I love Judy but don't love her in Husbands and Wives), any one of those women would have deserved an oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3711/15/2012

What was supposed to have been so great about Joan Plowright's performance that has so many people claiming that any of the other four nominees would have deserved to win instead of Tomei? Plowright's was a very generic "older Brit actress" performance that the Academy always seems to gush over.

I'm not convinced that some of the roles that women like Maggie Smith, Judi Dench and various other British actresses have been nominated for are particularly memorable. The Academy seems to believe that British actresses are "classier" and thus always deliver great performances worthy of being nominated. I personally find them very one-note a lot of the time, particularly Maggie Smith, who has got to be one of the most overrated actresses around.

by Anonymousreply 3811/15/2012

She's also very good in a minor role in Ides of March.

by Anonymousreply 3911/15/2012

I'm with R9, fuck you OP. We'll bash anyone (and usually everyone) we want to bash. No one needs your permission.

Marisa Tomei is best suited to television work.

There, I typed it.

by Anonymousreply 4011/15/2012

R40 - You are wrong!

by Anonymousreply 4111/16/2012

I know Marisa. No, she's not gay at all! I've never heard anyone say this. She dated a playwright, Frank Pugliese off and on for years. She really loves the work.

by Anonymousreply 4211/16/2012

She lives with hammy Prometeus actor Logan Marshall Green

by Anonymousreply 4311/16/2012

Interesting oscar year. Jane fonda and helen hunt benefited and won too when they went up against four foreign actresses. Marisa deserved to win but probably only won by less than 100 votes i say or maybe less. I think it was one year when the votes were pretty close divided among the 5 nominees. Judy was the critics darling. Miranda had 3 high profile films and won the best actress globe, joan won the supporting actress globe and marisa and vanessa had plenty of industry and public buzz for their performances so each had a lot going for them.

by Anonymousreply 4411/16/2012

[quote]I'd hardly call failing to receive any more Oscar nominations as evidence of an actor's ability.

So true.

by Anonymousreply 4511/16/2012

[quote]I never understood all the praise for My Cousin Vinny. Overrated and annoying with unimaginative stereotypical character portrayals.

I think the point was that it wasn't unimaginative. She took what could have been a disaster and spun gold out of it.

by Anonymousreply 4611/16/2012

I think she's better looking now than back then. Her body in "The Wrestler" was amazing. I always am interested when I see she's in something, but they never should have tried to make her a leading lady.

by Anonymousreply 4711/16/2012

She is probably in the closet that Marisa Tomei. Poor girl.

by Anonymousreply 4811/16/2012

She has proven herself to be a very capable, charming actress. Some NY Times critic wrote nobody does desperate/heartbreak better than Marisa Tomei. Or something to that affect. She definitely connects and she is extremely sensual. Oscar or not, she is an underrated versatile actress. Love. Her.

by Anonymousreply 4911/16/2012

That Jay Mohr clip is kind of disappointing.

I hope there is more to the story than he is letting on.

by Anonymousreply 5011/16/2012

I'm with the crowd. Marisa Tomei rocks. Just a very, very interesting actress who gets even more interesting as she ages (about as naturally as can be expected in Hollyweird).

It's not too often we see a thread with near universal praise.

Do I smell a new DL Icon?

by Anonymousreply 5111/16/2012

"What was supposed to have been so great about Joan Plowright's performance that has so many people claiming that any of the other four nominees would have deserved to win instead of Tomei? Plowright's was a very generic "older Brit actress" performance that the Academy always seems to gush over."

Joan was witty and fun. Of the four ladies in Enchanted April she changes the most and her character arc in lesser hands could have been dull and conventional. Her warmth and savvy made it work. Granted, the Academy would have probably nominated her in this role if she hadn't been nearly as good as she was in it, just because she is Joan Plowright and the role is a showy one. But she was great.

by Anonymousreply 5211/16/2012

Even after Marisa won the Oscar, she never forgot her soap roots.

The casting director who discovered her, Betty Rea received a lifetime achievement award from Soap Opera Digest.

Even though she couldn't make the awards ceremony, Marisa taped a special video to thank Betty for giving her a chance and starting her career.

by Anonymousreply 5311/16/2012

Please people, you're embarrassing yourselves! She's a *SOAP* actress, for heaven's sake!

by Anonymousreply 5411/16/2012

Meg's publicists always tells interviewers ahead of time, "No Soap Questions Please"

It should be noted Julianne Moore is more than happy to talk about her time on World Turns.

In fact when former EP Robert Calhoun died, she went to the memorial service.

by Anonymousreply 5511/16/2012

Meg Ryan is humorless, despite her bubbly screen persona.

by Anonymousreply 5611/16/2012

The feet scene from The Perez Family.

by Anonymousreply 5711/16/2012

What was Joan Plowright nominated for? She was great in I Love You To Death and, when I was a kid, I loved her in Dennis the Menace.

by Anonymousreply 5811/16/2012

She was nominated for "Dawson's 50-Load Weekend," R58.

by Anonymousreply 5911/16/2012

She should stop playing at comedies and devote herself to dramas.

by Anonymousreply 6012/12/2012

She is a pussy licker, in her dreams.

by Anonymousreply 6102/10/2013

She was good in Before the Devil....

by Anonymousreply 6202/10/2013

Marisa is a terrific actress--she just didnt really deserve to win over Judy Davis that year who was beyond brilliant My Cousin Vinny was the probably the only film of the actresses in that category that year the the most people actually saw (I remember it being a shocker)

by Anonymousreply 6302/10/2013

She won the Oscar because she was the only American nominated in that category and the voters wanted to vote for an American. ALL of the other actresses nominated (Joan Plowright, Miranda Richardson, Judy David, Vanessa Redgrave) gave better, more substantial performances that year. People were amazed that she won. Rex Reed started a Hollywood urban legend by suggesting that maybe Jack Palance had said the wrong name when announcing the winner. A lot of people believed that, because it was so incredible that Tomei could have won an Oscar for such a trivial, lightweight performance.

She's given some good performances in some movies. But she never became a star. She seems more suited to supporting roles than leads.

by Anonymousreply 6402/10/2013

I think you're right. Marisa is an extraordinarily talented and beautiful character actress.

by Anonymousreply 6502/10/2013

Loved her in The Wrestler.

by Anonymousreply 6602/10/2013

"Rex Reed started a Hollywood urban legend by suggesting that maybe Jack Palance had said the wrong name when announcing the winner."

Typical nasty queen. Always starting shit up.

by Anonymousreply 6702/10/2013

She seems a little nuts.

Like crazy mean drunk nuts

by Anonymousreply 6802/11/2013

Why do you say that R68?

by Anonymousreply 6902/11/2013

She is hugely talented, and very versatile too. Can do Drama and Comedy equally brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 7002/11/2013

R66 She was indeed great in The Wrestler. Everybody was talking about Mickey Rourke, but IMHO Marisa was the best in that movie. Such an understated yet powerful performance.

by Anonymousreply 7102/11/2013

What's up with her and Lisa Bonet?

They seem really close, how the heck did that come about?

by Anonymousreply 7202/11/2013

I thought we were finished with this no talent cunt. What gives?

by Anonymousreply 7302/11/2013

R72 - Marisa was in A Different World as Lisa's roommate.

by Anonymousreply 7402/11/2013

Marisa Tomei didn't get along with Mickey Rourke while they were filming 'The Wrestler'. I suppose she wasn't girlish enough for Rourke and she wanted to be equal with him. Rourke wanted to make a movie about him and Marisa's character in that film, 'Casssidy' got shrinked.

What a pity though. I found Cassidy a very interesting character and as sexy as hell!

by Anonymousreply 7502/11/2013

Didn't deserve the Oscar, WTF. I thought the Oscars were the be all and end all of awards shows.

by Anonymousreply 7602/11/2013

Jane Fonda was originally offered the part Judy Davis did in Husbands and Wives. But Judy lost the Oscar to Marisa despite sweeping the critics awards that year

by Anonymousreply 7702/11/2013

Love her Love her Love her Best thing in most of the movies she's been in. Yes, I include The Wrestler

by Anonymousreply 7802/11/2013

This was [italic]20[/italic] years ago!

Let it go.

by Anonymousreply 7902/11/2013

There was an article about this years ago, and the Oscar people did say that if Jack Palance said Marisa's name (and it was a mistake) the show would be stopped, and it would be corrected on stage.

by Anonymousreply 8002/11/2013

I've worked with her- she's straight (hooked up with a very handsome Johnny Depp look-alike PA for a fair bit) and she's a fun drunk. I think she's a underappreciated actress. And takes very good care of her face and body.

by Anonymousreply 8102/11/2013

R81, sure she is so straight that she didn't wish to get married so far. By the way she is 48 years old ffs and she hasn't tried herself in a marriage. Straight...my ass!

by Anonymousreply 8202/11/2013

r71. I'm a 48 year old single straight woman. And I'm attractive. I've had several LTRs, but never ever wanted to be married (although was tempted 3 times). And never wanted kids- I'm too selfish.

by Anonymousreply 8302/11/2013

R83 maybe you are straight, maybe.

Lol...

So you are not turned on by women at all?

Be honest...~

by Anonymousreply 8402/11/2013

All this talk about Marisa not deserving her Oscar. I think you're confusing her with me.

by Anonymousreply 8502/11/2013

[quote]All this talk about Marisa not deserving her Oscar. I think you're confusing her with me.

[quote]by: Mira Sorvino

You know, although I haven't posted anything in this thread, in my mind I was confusing the two.

by Anonymousreply 8602/11/2013

r73- I don't like my own vag, why would I like any others? The thought of going down on a woman...blerrg. I love men, just don't want to live with them.

by Anonymousreply 8702/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 8802/11/2013

R87 you are a big fake.

Good luck with your life.

by Anonymousreply 8902/11/2013

r89. Good luck with your narrow minded world.

by Anonymousreply 9002/11/2013

*blinks

R90, ok...good luck to both of us then.

by Anonymousreply 9102/11/2013

If Jane Fonda was nominated for Husbands and Wives, she would have beaten Marisa hand down.

by Anonymousreply 9202/11/2013

...and by the way, haters, leave Mira Sorvino alone! She is a great actress, ok? What's got into you guys?

!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9302/11/2013

r93=Paul Sorvino

by Anonymousreply 9402/11/2013

I was surprised by how good she was in My Cousin Vinny having had seen her in A Different World.

by Anonymousreply 9504/06/2013

She should have dedicated that Oscar to Liz Smith's Libido. Without Liz going to bat for her she never would have become a major name. Marisa, honey, please show a little more respect for your elders. Don't just fuck Liz's old cooch and run away with that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 9604/06/2013

There's a real anti-Italian vibe on this thread. Don't like Sorvino, Tomei. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 9704/06/2013

Blame it on Streep Troll who says if you were not born in Italy, you are not an Italian actress.

by Anonymousreply 9804/06/2013

The Streep Troll isn't the only one posting here. I think Tomei is more entertaining than Streep.

by Anonymousreply 9904/06/2013

Marisa Tomei was excellent in MY COUSIN VINNY. She deserved her nomination/win. Two who didn't deserve to be in that lineup were Joan PLowright and Vanessa Redgrave. Redgrave's character leaves early on without doing much of anything, and Plowright was just a typical grand dame role... in a TV movie. That's right. ENCHANTED APRIL was originally intended to be a TV movie. But after it aired in the UK and did well, they decided to release it in theaters in the United States.

Anyway, I would replace those two with Helena Bonham Carter (HOWARDS END) and Alfre Woodard (PASSION FISH) who were better in their respective movies, and actually had defining Oscar moments.

by Anonymousreply 10004/06/2013

Streep Troll specifically said Marisa Tomei can't call herself an Italian actress because she wasn't born in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 10104/06/2013

I let Liz fuck me in every hole. Where's my Oscar, R96?

by Anonymousreply 10204/06/2013

I don't get the Tomei dislike here.

Most recently I watched Crazy Stpuid Love on HBO (a few days ago) and I thought she was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 10304/06/2013

I wish I could stomach Mickey Rourke; haven't seen "The Wrestler".

by Anonymousreply 10404/06/2013

Agree with R2. I was like "is that it?", I expected much better given the hype. From around that time Unfaithful is a much better film along those lines, that certainly stands up better as I saw both recently.

R104 oh you must! It's such an amazing film and should've been nominated that year over the likes of Frost/Nixon. Rourke and Tomei are incredible and I preferred it to Black Swan. I can't believe how hot Marisa is in this, she's aged so well.

by Anonymousreply 10504/06/2013

I used to see Sommers and Fran Drescher in Nell's looking very leztastic together. Other times I saw Suzanne solo cruising for fresh women to fuck. She always left with an attractive girl.

Is Marisa rumored to have slept with Suzanne too or just Our Dear Liz?

Is Marisa a ladylicker?

by Anonymousreply 10604/06/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 10704/06/2013

"She's really hot for a woman her age. "

Not "for her age". She's really hot.

by Anonymousreply 10804/06/2013

Not all actors make gems that people continue to love ten or twenty years after they first watch it, or keep re-watching with the same glee/love for it-- for My Cousin Vinny, I'll always love M Tomei as an actor.

See? Just thinking of Vinny and the owl scene already cracks me up.

by Anonymousreply 10904/06/2013

Isn't she with that Tom Hardy lookalike?

by Anonymousreply 11004/06/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 11104/06/2013

R108 is right. Marisa is hot period.

by Anonymousreply 11204/06/2013

Who is Marisa's boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 11304/06/2013

Her boyfriend is Logan Marshall-Green who does look scarily like Hardy at times, but I'd say hotter.

He looks really good, in fact he has been called a junior Hardy clone yet is younger.

by Anonymousreply 11404/07/2013

Isn't Logan about a decade younger than Marisa?

Good for her. I like her.

by Anonymousreply 11504/07/2013

Why didn't she become a huge star? She's worked steadily and sometimes in good movies but she's not A list.

by Anonymousreply 11604/07/2013

* or older even, but only a year separates them yet Logan looks a lot younger.

by Anonymousreply 11704/07/2013

I think Marisa is a better supporting/character actress than a lead.

by Anonymousreply 11804/07/2013

r100, I loved Passion Fish.

by Anonymousreply 11904/07/2013

R120 I never thought about that but you are right. Nice Italian girls.

by Anonymousreply 12104/08/2013

Looks like Liz got a mouthful, and Marisa an earful. Yummy.

by Anonymousreply 12204/08/2013

Marisa was close with Jenifer Estess (rip) and Estess started getting more powerplayers interested in her theatre work, especially Liz Smith. Liz took a real liking to Marisa and stared promoting her. The price of admission was some muffdiving on Liz. But maybe Marisa got lucky and Liz just used hr strap-on collection...

by Anonymousreply 12304/08/2013

Yeah so Marisa and Liz know each other. So? I doubt either knew this Jennifer Estess woman you're babbling about. And Liz has been old 4-ever. I seriously doubt she was getting attention from young stars.

by Anonymousreply 12404/08/2013

Suzanne and Fran were both married to men for over twenty years. I really doubt they had any interest in women - r106. Two straighter women have never existed.

by Anonymousreply 12504/08/2013

Her win was no fluke. She's turned in 3 critically acclaimed performances, and most actors would argue that a comedic role is harder to pull off than a traditional sulk fest.

by Anonymousreply 12604/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.