Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Twin Peaks Turns 20

On April 8, 1990, Twin Peaks debuted on ABC. Damn, I feel old.

by Anonymousreply 7208/12/2013

They're doing a Twin Peaks reunion improv thing at Upright Citizens Brigade in LA tonight.

by Anonymousreply 104/08/2010

Best TV Show ever

by Anonymousreply 204/08/2010

I still cannot believe that this show was on a major network.

by Anonymousreply 304/08/2010

God, that makes me feel old too. I remember Twin Peaks and all the media hype around it like it happened yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 404/08/2010

Who's up for some pie and coffee?

by Anonymousreply 504/08/2010

The show started out great, but by the end it was just a wreck.

by Anonymousreply 604/08/2010

Maddy's death scene was so disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 704/08/2010

"She's dead! Wrapped in plastic!"

by Anonymousreply 804/08/2010

Years ago there was a Twin Peaks afficiando or two that posted here. I remember there was a thread where they deconstructed the whole second season. It was really interesting what all the imagery represented.

I guess those guys have long fled DL now.

by Anonymousreply 904/08/2010

I always hope that Kyle MacLachlan and Michael Ontkean would hook up on the show.

by Anonymousreply 1004/08/2010

First Malcolm McLaren, and now this. Old doesn't even begin to describe it.

by Anonymousreply 1104/08/2010

James: When did you start smoking?

Donna: It helps relieve tension.

James: When did you get so tense?

Donna: When I started smoking.

by Anonymousreply 1204/08/2010

20?! That doesn't even seem possible. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 1304/08/2010

I think Twin Peaks started Fox's trend of canceling good shows with strong fan following.

by Anonymousreply 1404/08/2010

Twin Peaks was on ABC, not FOX. Also, it was originally intended to be a miniseries, and if it had ended when it was supposed to, it would've been much better for the story.

I remember being at a David Bowie concert and in the middle of a song, some guy came out and whispered something in his ear. He stopped playing, the music stopped, and the Bowie whispered into the mic, "I know who killed Laura Palmer."

I'm old now, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 1504/08/2010

Ha - I actually thought it was older than that, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1604/08/2010

My bad. I could have SWORN it was on FOX. Oops

Anyone here seen "Fire Walk with Me?" Now that was a weird movie...

by Anonymousreply 1704/08/2010

This was appointment tv for me back then, the whole thing was weird, the characters, the town, the music, the way David Lynch would just shoot trees or stoplights blowing in the wind and have it seem eerie. Great show. But I do feel old now.

by Anonymousreply 1804/08/2010

I love Fire Walk With Me.

by Anonymousreply 1904/08/2010

Twin Peaks started off my senior year in high school. My first period class was AP French. There were 5 of us in it. We'd walk in Monday morning, announce to our teacher that we were going to go get coffee and bagels and be right back. We'd then discuss Twin Peaks. He'd make us do it in french. He loved the show too. He made it a point to discuss the art direction of David Lynch. Seriously, one of my favorite high school memories. Unfortunately I didn't pass the French AP exams. I blame it on Laura Palmer.

by Anonymousreply 2004/08/2010

Upping the original thread.

by Anonymousreply 2104/08/2010

The music from the show still haunts

by Anonymousreply 2204/08/2010

This is my favorite scene from the show. God, the dancing dwarf freaked me out so much.

by Anonymousreply 2304/09/2010

WEHT Dana Ashbrook? I had a huge crush on him

by Anonymousreply 2404/09/2010

Bumping for a show I loved.

by Anonymousreply 2504/10/2010

My log says it should have aired as the mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 2604/10/2010

Why did Lara Flynn Boyle, Sherilyn Fenn, and Madchen Amick never became big stars?

by Anonymousreply 2704/10/2010

Boyle had a decent run in movies and TV. But she butchered her face and her anorexia took a heavy toll. And the years of heavy smoking have left her sounding like Harvey Fierstein. She's really unrecognizable now, which is tragic because she was so pretty during "Twin Peaks."

Fenn took on the disastrous "Boxing Helena" with disastrous career results. She's worked steadily but seems to pick doomed projects. She was great on an episode of "Friends." I think she should have tried more comedic roles but Hollywood saw her as a sexpot.

I seem to recall on a thread here someone saying Amick was a diva who burned some bridges but I have a hard time believing it. She's worked steadily since the show as well, again on doomed projects. ("Joey" anyone?)

But the real reason is they were just 'okay' actresses who were more interesting as part of the "Twin Peaks" mystique. Sheryl Lee never became a star either. Even Kyle MacLachlan didn't become the star he expected to once the show ended.

by Anonymousreply 2804/10/2010

I loved James Marshall and Dana Ashbrook

by Anonymousreply 2904/10/2010

James Marshall was the worst actor on the show.

by Anonymousreply 3004/10/2010

Nice soundtrack by Julee Cruise

by Anonymousreply 3104/10/2010

"James Marshall was the worst actor on the show."

True, but he was hot!

by Anonymousreply 3204/10/2010

The last 20 minutes of FIRE WALK WITH ME are among the most disturbing of any film I've ever seen.

And the Bob-behind-the-dresser scene still scares the shit out of me. Every. Single. Time.

There are over an hour of deleted scenes from the film version depicting many of the characters who did not make the final cut in FWWM. The missing parts of the film were intended to be included in the sequel, titled A CHOIR OF ANGELS. The complete script of FWWM with the A CHOIR OF ANGELS scenes included is online, or was at one time.

by Anonymousreply 3304/10/2010

Thanks, r28.

by Anonymousreply 3404/10/2010

Amick had a multi-episode guest role on "Gossip Girl" last season, so she's still getting some work.

by Anonymousreply 3504/13/2010

Where did you see these missing scenes, r33?

by Anonymousreply 3604/13/2010

I had a big crush on David Duchovny in full drag. She was GORGEOUS!

And that was before I even had a van.

by Anonymousreply 3704/13/2010

The dad killed her, right?

Why?

by Anonymousreply 3804/13/2010

I started watching this with my family the summer before 8th grade. I remained obsessed with it until it went off the air. I used to have BOB nightmares (just the thought of his face can freak me out... in fact I'm freaked out right now). I had the Laura Palmer diary and everything!

Anybody catch reruns on Chill?

by Anonymousreply 3904/13/2010

I disagree r30, Dana Ashbrook (Bobby Briggs) is who I hate. The TV remake of Bonnie & Clyde he was in is horribly embarrassing. He was a really lightweight actor who thought he could get by on his sex appeal, which he had clearly overrated in his mind.

He's continued to work but nothing of note. And now he's lost his looks so we'll surely never hear from him again.

by Anonymousreply 4004/13/2010

The dad killed her, right?

Why?

by Anonymousreply 4104/13/2010

R41, because he was possessed by a demon named BOB.

In the diary, he sexually abused Laura as a girl.

by Anonymousreply 4204/13/2010

Who was Bob? Were they able to exorcise him out?

Fuck! Gotta buy the DVDs now.

by Anonymousreply 4304/13/2010

Bob always gave me the creeps too, with that mad Charles Manson stare and grimace. But if you think Bob's bad, R43, you need to watch the last episode of the series. Wait until you see what he does then!

by Anonymousreply 4404/13/2010

Oh by the way, R43, for further Bob exploits, check out the episodes with the death of Maddie and the final one of the first season. The latter is the conclusion of the "Laura Palmer" arc, will answer your question about a type of "exorcism." Outstanding episodes -- I was alternating goosebumps and tears during both.

by Anonymousreply 4504/13/2010

Boo!

by Anonymousreply 4604/13/2010

Oh my GOD, r46 that just made my eyes go crossed. What makes BOB so terrifying? Truly - more than any other demon or character ever.

Is it true that the guy who played BOB was a member of the crew? And that he died of AIDS in real life?

by Anonymousreply 4704/13/2010

Not Kyle!

by Anonymousreply 4804/13/2010

I don't know if he died from AIDS but he did die a few years ago and he was originally just a crew member. The story goes he was setting up a scene in Laura Palmer's bedroom and Lynch saw him in the space near her dresser (where she hid her diary) and realized he had to be a part of the show. I don't think he had acted before that.

Another cool trivia: in the final scene of the pilot where Laura's mother is sitting and smoking you can see "Bob" reflected in the mirror behind her. He was crouching there handing her cigarettes and got caught. While it's technically a blooper it actually works perfectly because that's the moment Mrs. Palmer has her vision of the man who killed Laura.

by Anonymousreply 4904/13/2010

if you wanna feel really old, consider that david cassidy turned 60 the other day.

by Anonymousreply 5004/13/2010

r. 37

I think David Duchovny looks better as a woman than he does as a man.

by Anonymousreply 5104/15/2010

Back then I thought Sheryl Lee would become a big star. Never happened for her. Why?

by Anonymousreply 5204/15/2010

I thought Sherilyn Fenn would be a big star - she was really getting the PR push in those days.

Do you remember the craptastic Elizabeth Taylor miniseries she did? Camp for days.

by Anonymousreply 5304/15/2010

I've never seen the Liz Taylor miniseries. But I do remember the scene from Twin Peaks when Audrey tied the cherry stem into a knot with her tongue.

by Anonymousreply 5404/15/2010

Watched FWWM earlier today for the first time. Pretty good film, easy to follow along with. Why did Bob want to be Laura so badly?

I loved all the screaming.

by Anonymousreply 5504/23/2010

gv

by Anonymousreply 5604/23/2010

My Gold Box Definitive DVD Set of TP just shipped out from Amazon today. Can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 5704/23/2010

You're in for a treat, R57! If you have the original DVD sets of the show you may want to hold onto them: for while the Gold Box is great in its own way - and the remaster is crystal-clear - it does not include the cast/crew commentaries from the first editions, nor the DTS option on the soundtrack. The GOLD BOX is short of definitive for this reason, and also because it does not contain the A CHOIR OF ANGELS deleted scenes from the FWWM film, though it is rumored that they will be included in the next Lynch box set to come after the current Lime Green Set (which contains almost an hour of deleted scenes from WILD AT HEART). Otherwise, it's incredible! The reunion interview at the diner is so weird, wacky and wonderful!

by Anonymousreply 5804/23/2010

Thanks for that info, Nikki. Can you tell me if there's any reason to hang on to the import DVD of the pilot that wasn't included in the original season 1 boxset? Now that I have the Gold Box I was going to sell this, but it still goes for a lot of money on ebay and amazon.

by Anonymousreply 5904/23/2010

R59, since the Gold Box contains both the original ABC pilot and the extended European film version, I'd say there's no reason to hang on to it. If it's in DTS, there's that, though the Dolby Digital remaster on the Gold Box has cleaner, if slightly less-immersing sound. I'm still unclear as to why the commentaries from the first release aren't on the Gold Box, but I would assume it has something to do with rights' issues. I've heard they're not very good, anyway.

As I tell all TWIN PEAKS fans, if you have not seen Lynch's newest masterpiece INLAND EMPIRE, run, don't walk, to pick it up! It's a total mind-fuck and a fascinating experiment with digital video.

by Anonymousreply 6004/23/2010

You people who think this was a good show are mental. It was terrible. Unwatchable, really. I recently tried watching it on DVD and had to force myself to keep going. I finally gave up after I got through the first season. It's just terrible acting, editing, storytelling...everything. You all were either 12 when this aired and haven't taken the time to re-watch it or you have really bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 6104/23/2010

Thanks for setting us all straight, r61. I'll be sure to switch to "Murder She Wrote" reruns instead.

by Anonymousreply 6204/23/2010

"It's just terrible acting, editing, storytelling...everything."

SOME of the actors were bad, but the storytelling and editing were brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 6304/23/2010

David Lynch is nonsensical and his fanbois are sycophants. And I say this as a film nerd.

by Anonymousreply 6404/23/2010

R61, please stick to reruns of Friends and Family Matters. They are much more your speed and mentality.

by Anonymousreply 6504/24/2010

Even the weird episodes are good.

by Anonymousreply 6712/30/2012

Madchen Amick has aged very nicely.

by Anonymousreply 6804/03/2013

R20 Qui a tué Laura Palmer ?

L'épisode pilote de la série existe dans deux versions différentes : une version télévisée de 90 minutes diffusée aux États-Unis et en France et après lequel s'enchaîne parfaitement le premier épisode de la saison 1, et une autre version dite « européenne », sortie en vidéo en France sous le titre « Qui a tué Laura Palmer ? ». Cette version contient vingt minutes supplémentaires tournées par David Lynch, qui donnent une fin à l'histoire.

by Anonymousreply 6904/04/2013

English R69

by Anonymousreply 7004/04/2013

I loved the series so much that in 1992 I sold my home in Burbank and move to Roslyn, sight unseen. I was shocked to find that the town was nothing like the one in the series. i bought an old victorian, 2900 square feet for the grand sum of 229k. I bought at the top of the market and had to sell in the late 90's at a lost. I decided to return to so Cal and was shocked to find I could no longer afford real estate where I truly wanted to be. I ended up buying a cottage in Elysian Heights. I loved it to this day. ....so I'm thankful for Twin Peaks.

by Anonymousreply 7104/04/2013

I'm watching season 3 of Damages. Madchen had a recurring role that season.

by Anonymousreply 7208/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.