Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Happy Birthday Mary Pickford... the original America''s Sweetheart

118 years ago

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2014

Arguably the biggest star of all time, with the possible exception of Chaplin.

by Anonymousreply 104/08/2010

I can't tell you how honored I am to be the one to have picked up her torch.

by Anonymousreply 204/08/2010

Funny that the original "America's Sweetheart" was actually Canadian, born Gladys Smith in Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 304/08/2010

How does she look? Has she had much "work" done? I used to love playing with her when we were little.

by Anonymousreply 404/08/2010

And she doesn't look a day over 110.

by Anonymousreply 504/08/2010

She's been dead 31 years. We dug her up and she looks like a young Barbra Walters.

by Anonymousreply 604/08/2010

I bet Douglas Fairbanks never expected her to receive a Dirty Sanchez.

by Anonymousreply 704/08/2010

There's a scene in 1927s "My Best Girl" where she and Buddy Rogers (whom she later married) cross a busy city street, oblivious to everything around them... It's a tiny scene but one of the most wonderful scenes I have ever seen.

She won an Oscar for 'Coquette' which was an awful film where she plays a teenager, even though she is obviously too old at this point in time.

by Anonymousreply 804/08/2010

She eventually hated playing the "little girl in curls" since she did it WAY into adulthood. She thought it looked creepy and put almost all of her films out of circulation (since she owned them). One of the wierd things about that era was that she and Charlie Chaplin could continue playing very young characters (the Little Tramp and the Girl with the Golden Curls) nearly into middle age because there was no sound and the visual effects were not as clear and precise to the eye.

by Anonymousreply 904/08/2010

Wait, are we talking about Mary Pickford or Bernadette Peters, or both?

by Anonymousreply 1004/08/2010

I hate her, she got to bang Douglas Fairbanks Sr. and I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 1104/08/2010

I just LOVE a Mary Pickford.

by Anonymousreply 1204/08/2010

Watching "Coquette" on TCM now. What a hoot! The acting overall is very stagey but that was the norm for the time.

by Anonymousreply 1305/23/2013

I am watching "Coquette" too but mostly for her co-star, Johnny Mack Brown. I have been reading very interesting things about Johnny. It seems that a lot of actors and actresses were in lust with this guy back in those days and he returned their feelings.

I am going to have to do more research on him, I remember him mostly as an aging cowboy in bad westerns.

by Anonymousreply 1405/23/2013

Poor Mary. She was loved by all, and yet she wound up a sad recluse, gaga and oblivious to all around her at Pickfair.

by Anonymousreply 1505/23/2013

Let's face it, Joan darling. You too have been dead for years....

by Anonymousreply 1705/23/2013

She really looks hammered here when they take her Special Oscar up to her house in 1976.

by Anonymousreply 1805/23/2013

R14 where are you reading about him? I can't find anything interesting about him online.

Pickford is horrible in COQUETTE. That's not a dated acting style, it's just bad. I cringed for her. Her silent work is so much better. Talk about a gratitude Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1905/23/2013

Mary Pickford & Jean Parker playing musical chairs at a charity event in 1938...

by Anonymousreply 2001/15/2014

Wasn't Pickfair demolished?

by Anonymousreply 2101/15/2014

Cunt! So I wasn't good enough for her precious son. Dammit, Pickford should've been MY place! Which of us is the one still beloved by audiences, and which is long-forgotten. Cunt!

by Anonymousreply 2201/15/2014

"Wasn't Pickfair demolished?'

I heard that Pia Zadora and her fat cat husband at the time bought it and pretty much destroyed it. I don't think they actually tore it down but their renovations completely changed it. Too bad; it was one of the great Hollywood estates. I think people would have loved it as a tourist attraction.

by Anonymousreply 2301/15/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!