Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Butterfly vs. The Lonely Lady

Which Pia Zadora film is worse?

by Anonymousreply 1704/19/2013

When I'm high I AM Odetta.

by Anonymousreply 104/08/2010

I have "When the Rain Begins to fall" on my mp3 player. I still love that Pia song.

Fuck you OP.

by Anonymousreply 204/08/2010

Garden hose! Garden hose!

by Anonymousreply 304/08/2010

Butterfly is because it's just bad, a snoozer. Lonely Lady is a so bad it's good laugh riot. I recently downloaded it and it's "better" than I remembered, really good unintentional comedy throughout. Bad trashy dialogue delivered badly by bad actors. Here's an example: Pia has a mental breakdown and is in the hospital. Her gay director friend visits her and tries to talk her out of her depression saying "I don't wanna lose you." Except the actor delivers the line ridiculously, emphasizing the word "wanna" instead of "lose." It hilariously makes him sound like a brat who is more concerned with what he "wants", than whether his friend recovers. You practically expect him to stomp his feet and the ground and demand to be given some candy.

by Anonymousreply 404/08/2010

Perhaps THAT is more her kick, r3.

by Anonymousreply 504/08/2010

I've never seen her Golden Globe-winning performance in Butterfly, but The Lonely Lady is a camp classic from beginning to end.

I love how she re-writes pages of dialogue for the actress mourning the death of her son (?) and replaces it with one word:

by Anonymousreply 604/08/2010

I've never been able to see BUTTERFLY but I love THE LONELY LADY. The theme song is fantastic. I love the shower breakdown scene and of course, the finale when she wins the Biggest Hollywood Screenwriter Award or whatever it was.

by Anonymousreply 704/08/2010

Let's not forget she started out as a child "actress" in [italic]Santa Claus Conquers the Martians[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 804/08/2010

I'm an impotent man who is jealous of the sexual prowess of garden hoses. That doesn't make me pathetic, does it?

by Anonymousreply 904/08/2010

Leave Pia alone! We all know she's a great actress because she won a Golden Globe

by Anonymousreply 1004/08/2010

"The Lonely Lady" is by far more entertaining than "Butterfly". It makes no bones whatsoever about being a tawdry piece of campy trash, whereas "Butterfly" seemed to have higher aspirations. Plus, how can you hate a film where nearly EVERY character in the cast wants to screw Pia?

by Anonymousreply 1104/08/2010

She's in the attic!

by Anonymousreply 1204/08/2010

I love Zia Pizzadora!

by Anonymousreply 1304/08/2010

Her Oscar number in the third 'Naked Gun' movie is a hoot and about the only thing watchable in it, other than Kathleen Freeman.

by Anonymousreply 1404/08/2010

The Lonely Lady is begging for a revisitation. It's one of those perfect bad movies like Mommie Dearest where the plot is strangely engaging enough to hold your interest until the next ridiculous and hysterical thing happens. And it gets better as it goes along. The shower breakdown is as effective as any good movie in delivering a truly fulfilling climax.

It's a crime that this movie is not out on DVD yet.

by Anonymousreply 1504/17/2013

When I was the co-editor of my high school newspaper I reviewed The Lonely Lady for our newspaper. Leave The Lonely Lady Alone.

by Anonymousreply 1604/17/2013

What about "Fake-Out" (aka "Nevada Heat")?

by Anonymousreply 1704/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!