Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What the hell is so wonderful about Tyler Perry?

He produces a ton of cable sitcoms and has those godawful movies. Where did he come from, and why does he have such staying power? Is he that good? Am I missing something?

by Anonymousreply 15402/27/2014

The only thing I know about him is he came from a very abusive home and really turned his life around. I don't like his "shows" but he seems like an upstanding guy.

by Anonymousreply 104/07/2010

I think he made some sort of deal with the devil to be famous honestly. His movies suck, his acting sucks and Madea is so fucking god-awful words can't describe it.

by Anonymousreply 204/07/2010

It's a black thang...

by Anonymousreply 304/07/2010

R2 Pat Robinson is that you?

by Anonymousreply 404/07/2010

A vacant market. No one else is making middle of the road entertainment specifically targeted at a black audience. Spike Lee is too much of a firebrand and hip hop and rap with some exceptions are too ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 504/07/2010

I don't like his movies but also don't think his making it big directing fluff is any different (or worse) than Michael Bay's success doing the exact same thing. Or Joel Schumacher's. Bottom line, there are plenty of directors in Hollywood whose work is basically crap but no one begrudges them their success, so why begrudge Tyler Perry? He's not getting my money but more power to him.

by Anonymousreply 604/07/2010

Oh dear. Is it time for another Tyler Perry thread?

He makes movies and TV for black audiences because no one else wants to risk it, and they dont know how to do it. He also gives jobs to black actors that have been forsaken by Hollywood. That is why he is so successful.

by Anonymousreply 704/07/2010

His bald painted head is disasterous.

by Anonymousreply 804/07/2010

[quote]I don't like his "shows" but he seems like an upstanding guy.

Surely he has nothing to hide.

by Anonymousreply 904/07/2010

He couldn't be more guy is had two dicks up his ass and puked rainbows!

by Anonymousreply 1004/07/2010

Thoughtful response R6 and spot on.

Non-offensive black middle class dramedy.

by Anonymousreply 1104/07/2010

It is depressing that so many talented black actors end up in his shitty films because they can't get work elsewhere.

That's what angers me more than how bad his movies are. Sure, he's really no worse than Michael Bay, but talented white actors aren't shuffled into Bay's projects because its the only opportunity they have to work.

Also, I'm pretty sure that I could write a Tyler Perry screenplay in a weekend. They are all basically the same story of a damaged black woman healing herself by submitting to church culture and the will of a god-fearing black man. Throw in a salacious exploration of a history of abuse, incest or rape and add a college-educated black villainess, and boom, you got yourself a Tyler Perry movie.

by Anonymousreply 1204/07/2010

Why doesn't a gay entertainer start a gay studio producing mainstream movies with only gay actors and gay stories? Almost all gay themed movies are art house movies. We need our own studio to give Rupert Everett an acting job.

by Anonymousreply 1304/07/2010

"We need our own studio to give Rupert Everett an acting job."

I thought he had one: being Rupert Everett.

by Anonymousreply 1404/07/2010

What mystifies me is how he isn't regarded as a drag queen. I mean, isn't that what he is? It sure ain't performance art.

by Anonymousreply 1504/07/2010

I'm caucasian and I really enjoyed the stage show Madea Goes to Jail. It meandered quite a bit - but it was fun. The films, well, just boring.I'd rather see his dumb domestic comedies than all those homophobic geek and frat boy movies.

by Anonymousreply 1604/07/2010

Don't hate because he's actually allowing black actors to work.

by Anonymousreply 1704/08/2010

he was on Oprah last week

she supports him cause he's black - there could be no other reason since his movies are atrocious -

he's genius though - his movies target fat black single women who think they may possibly have a chance with beautiful buff men -- who in real life are all gay

he must have channeled his desires and projected them onto women

oprah disgusts me - regardless of the quality of the work if they're black she supports them without question. I remember when she had Michael Jordan on just so he could shill his new sportswear line - yea he played basketball but he's a gambler and a cheater but that's ok - but she's going to hold authors who fabricate stories to a different standard

by Anonymousreply 1904/08/2010

You sound a little bitter, R19. Maybe you're the one doing the "projecting."

by Anonymousreply 2004/08/2010

r18 where is the OP's bitterness? OP simply asked what the big deal is about someone with nominal talent who has achieved such praise and fame for putting out pathetic movies and tv shows

great he employs people so does taco bell but i don't eat there

by Anonymousreply 2104/08/2010

Only one thing. He produced Precious.

He's also a not bad drag comedian (I would certainly not call him wonderfully, merely ok), but the material he writes for that character is horrendous. It's amazing to me that this guy's writing and direction is so successfl.

by Anonymousreply 2204/08/2010

I'm more or less with R6 on this.

While I've never seen any of his movies, he seems like a nice enough guy in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 2304/08/2010

anon, eat shit and die.

As far as Tyler, he offers something to an audience that no one thought enough of to target. And, it paid off.

Tyler markets (or use to anyway) to the lonely, mostly belittled and dejected church going working class probably over-weight definitely under-appreciated 30, 40 50 something black female.

Tyler started out on the local inner city church play circuit. His plays gave voice to the frustration of a certain demographic black woman who faces the glaring facts that Americans think she is ugly, undesirable and unmarriable. Her social network consists mostly of church activities where there is a well publicized lack of available black straight men. That society is mostly matriarchal where the attention is given largely to women who can sing (choir stars) and women who can broker their will on the pastor (Madea types). These women have few advocates and even fewer admirers. Mostly fatherless, mostly without husbands, and mostly without a positive self image, they rely on outrageous behaviors, being loud, and being 'ghetto divas' and being 'loved by Jesus' to compensate. On the other hand, these are the women who also work three jobs (they are not the welfare class), raise the children, nurture the drug addicted in their community, feed the homeless, care for the sick, and love and support their 'men' who make it very clear that these women do not and never will be the object of their desire.

Tyler gave them attention, and a face, and unbelievable to mostly white queens, respect. He wrapped it in humor they could understand because it was about their point of view, not the black males, not the white sociologists, not the welfare or gang or drug addict or hip hop point of view, but theirs. These women are not interested in cutting edge social commentary about why men think they are ugly, nasty language, rape murder and abuse stories without happy endings. They know all too well of that in real life. They wanted to see what was possible hope in their lives portrayed on the screen: family, church, picnics, barber shop/hair salon banter, black on black love stories, and someone who could be their hero and save the day. (Madea)

It paid off, in millions. Whites had no idea of Tyler when he was limited to that circuit though his success was phenomenal even then. The black community knew, however.

Tyler is now attempting to expand his 'message' into that of the black middle class using white distribution methods, where I think he stumbles horribly because it is not his background. Now whites either want in on the money or commentary. It is you who is late to the party. Blacks have been discussing Tyler for a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 2404/08/2010

Is it true about him and Tavis Smiley?

by Anonymousreply 2504/08/2010

My black best friend turned me onto Medea, and I loved Medea.

Then my black friend turned into a raging bitch and stabbed me in the back. We're no longer friends.

But I still love Medea.

by Anonymousreply 2604/08/2010

I hope he becomes rich, famous, and powerful beyond imagination just because it will make Spike Lee's head explode.

As far as I know I've only seen one of his movies, and it was some fluff about married couples spending a weekend together. It wasn't anything special, but you could have recast it with Jennifer Aniston and an all white cast and no one would have blinked.

by Anonymousreply 2704/08/2010

[quote] Tyler markets (or use to anyway) to the lonely, mostly belittled and dejected church going working class probably over-weight definitely under-appreciated 30, 40 50 something black female.

Uh, didn't they help push Proposition 8 to victory in California?

by Anonymousreply 2804/08/2010

Was thinking about this, and from the responses, it looks like his stuff is channeled to the same audience that watches soap operas...just some very low-brow content for unattractive women who fantasize about the hot, handsome knight in shining armour sweeping in and rescuing them from their miserable lives.

by Anonymousreply 2904/08/2010

You guys are a little funny to think that his comedy only appeals to fat women. That's a little ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 3004/08/2010

[quote]Was thinking about this, and from the responses, it looks like his stuff is channeled to the same audience that watches soap operas...just some very low-brow content for unattractive women who fantasize about the hot, handsome knight in shining armour sweeping in and rescuing them from their miserable lives.

And? lol

by Anonymousreply 3204/08/2010

As a gay guy, R24, I'm used to being devalued by society and also have to deal with the fact that I have a greatly reduced dating pool and much slimmer chances of ending up married. I would, however, greatly resent if some filmmaker got filthy rich by churning out a bunch of pandering wish-fulfillment garbage under the pretense of giving me a voice.

by Anonymousreply 3304/08/2010

R33, I take it you have actually seen all of the movies?

by Anonymousreply 3404/08/2010

I haven't seen them all, but I have seen Madea's Family Reunion, Madea goes to Jail ( I'll see Viola Davis is pretty much anything), I Can Do Bad All By Myself, and Why Did I Get Married?

by Anonymousreply 3504/08/2010

OP, i wonder the same thing about Tyler Perry, he's ridiculous and makes ridiculous movies. He's like another P. Diddy who will venture into some other money making business and change also his name to be relevant.

by Anonymousreply 3704/08/2010

R33 Sex and the City would have us believe that middle age white women can get hot men. What exactly is your point?

by Anonymousreply 3804/08/2010

I think a lot of you are trying to explain what Perry does in a far too difficult manner. The man simply is doing what he knows best. He built the Madea character on someone from his own family and turned it into a brand of sorts. It's worked well for him, he's smart enough to know what he does best and that's exactly what he does. He does not pretend to be C. B. DeMille or L. B. Mayer.

Many people enjoy his movies, apparently some don't. That's life in the movie business. I seriously doubt he cares because it appears that enough enjoy them to have enabled him to become extremely successful at it.

But leave it up to some queens on a chat board to do everything in their power to belittle and denigrate the man either because he doesn't cater to their personal tastes or because of intense jealousy (and I'm sure in some cases intense racism).

But look at it this way. Tyler Perry is laughing all the way to the bank, and very likely most of the hate mongers here aren't.

by Anonymousreply 3904/08/2010

It's "*crying* all the way to the bank" but that's OK.

by Anonymousreply 4004/08/2010

R12 nailed it. Unfortunately, Tyler is about the only one making mainstream movies and television marketed to mainstream African-Americans. That says a lot more about TV and movie execs that it does about Tyler Perry.

His product sort of reminds me of all those crap-ass gay movies that get made. Yea, its nice to see, but I wish they were a lot better.

by Anonymousreply 4104/08/2010

I don't think it's even "mainstream AAs." No one I know sees his movies or much appreciates that type of humor.

by Anonymousreply 4304/08/2010

[quote] oprah disgusts me - regardless of the quality of the work if they're black she supports them without question.

Oh PUH-LEEZE! There are plenty of white losers Oprah has on her show and she doesn't ask them, "How come people admire you so much? You're just a celebrity."

Anjelina Jolie comes to mind. Oprah should be saying, "Girl, you run around scooping up other people's babies and you ALWAYS make sure there are cameramen there to record it. You stole another man's wife and you have abso-fucking-lutely no qualifications to be working with the UN while thousands of educated public health professionals could only dream of getting a UN gig. What's up with that?"

by Anonymousreply 4404/08/2010

R36, word on the Queer as Folk front. Blech.

I'm not contemptuous of black women and the issues they face. What I want for them is what I want for all minorities (in terms of art), which is more and "better" artistic and cultural products geared towards them. Art has the power to spark connection and communication between seemingly disparate groups. Precious, proof in my head that Perry can at the very least throw his name and money behind worthwhile projects, resonated so strongly with all sorts of people because it didn't shy away from its subject matter (somewhat operatic though it was) and more boldly didn't shy away from the fact that there aren't really any simple resolutions when it comes to the persistent ache caused by the institutionalized racism and misogyny in our society.

While I can appreciate the sense of affirmation that working class black women get from Tyler Perry movies, I agree with you, the movies ultimately don't address the actual systems of power that make the female characters (and the female audience members) marginalized and unhappy in the first place. Furthermore, as Perry becomes more mainstream, I predict he'll turn his eye more and more towards more crossover-friendly buppie subjects, confident in the knowledge that his core constituency is so starved for representations of black women and black romance that they'll come regardless of the fact that what's going onscreen bares increasingly little resemblance to their own lives.

I agree that white gays need to be actively developing relationships with other minority groups. I have hope for relations between white gay men and black women know a lot about what it means to be "other" in America, I mean we must have stolen all their slang for a reason right? I think both groups would be better served, however, by artistic and cultural representations that don't rely on knights in shining armor, self-ghettoization, the vilification of members of other groups (was there ever a nice straight person on Queer As Folk?), and having the church and the gay bar serve as the "salvation" agent for the community.

by Anonymousreply 4604/08/2010

R44 Don't forget Tom Cruise. I didn't know Tom Cruise was black. He really *is* good at hiding, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 4704/08/2010

I'm with whoever posted about Spike Lee's head exploding.

Perry hires black performers, gives them documentation of their skill and work, and employs black craft and below-the-line staff as well; that's wonderful. But he seems to think he has a monopoly on employment of African-American motion picture and tv professionals. He may be right. When he opened his studio in Atlanta and heard his TV series writers were planning to join the Writer's Guild, he threatened to fire them.

A new black producer, preferably several, is needed to provide more opportunities for black performers and crew and dilute Perry's control of employment for them.

Also -- he only invested in "Precious" because Winfrey leaned on him.

by Anonymousreply 4804/08/2010

I pretty much agree with everything you have said r46.

However, in an industry that is relying more and more on fantasy vs art and a society that is dependent more and more on jobs any job vs career and love of 'calling', the answers will not, more than likely, emanate from 'artistic and cultural representations', unfortunately. They each have long been usurped by the very machinations they are historically in place to criticize. Tyler is someone who has a GED for god's sake. And, Bieber is the new ' it' guy. Bush was president and Palin is a leader in political discourse. The age of enlightenment is over and not just for the black female.

We are left with passing each other by on the street, the internet and brief encounters at work and school. Those are the sites of engagement.

I'm engaging, such as it is.

by Anonymousreply 4904/08/2010

Tyler Perry might be a cross dressing opportunist who will do anything to be famous but might have bedded all the gorgeous black actors around like Shemar Moore and enjoying every minute of whatever is left of his 60 mins of fame.

by Anonymousreply 5004/08/2010

Is he gay or straight? He doesn't ping for me. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 5104/08/2010

My sister recommends his films...she thinks they are funny. So, that's why he is working, some people really like his comedy.

by Anonymousreply 5204/08/2010

I watched the original "Why Did I Get Married" on cable over the weekend, and it was a total piece of shit. The only saving graces were Michael Jai White and Lamann Rucker. Damn, those men are FINE. There's one scene with with White in boxers, and his bulge is just tremendous. I could stare at him for hours.

by Anonymousreply 5304/08/2010

of course there's always some good looking black meat in his films... i wonder how they audition for their roles.

by Anonymousreply 5404/08/2010

i watch House of Payne. Their son is HOT!

by Anonymousreply 5504/08/2010

R46 you are writing what you want for Perry's audience. How about what they want for themselves? Maybe they want inane comedic relief as a brief respite from their everyday life. Maybe that is more important to them than seeing their suffering used as an art form to connect them to others.

by Anonymousreply 5604/08/2010

You beat me to it R55. His shit is crap but when surfing at commercial time I'll pause at this if they are showing the son. Hot as fuck. But my God the show sucks Don Rickles' ass.

by Anonymousreply 5704/08/2010

Kudos that he is reaching to the MOR African American public. No praise for him now that he has some funds that he is not making better quality vehicles. Best thing he did was to back Precious. Time for him to start backing other dood projects and put Medea and company down. Time for him to come out, too -- he's not fooling anyone. Would be great if he produced a great vehicle for the "hot son" y'all love so much. Maybe he should give some money to Tim Reid. Remember Frank's Place?

by Anonymousreply 5804/08/2010

A Tyler star. More than likely gay as well. PR machine hooked him up with a known dyke Eva Pigford. Also, one of the reasons the black female community supports Tyler movies.... watching this hunk of burning chocolate love for 60 minutes is sort of a gift for many in the population.

by Anonymousreply 5904/08/2010

I think he is pretty obviously working to upgrade his image, first with attaching his name to Precious and next by doing god-knows-what he's going to do to For Colored Girls...

by Anonymousreply 6004/08/2010

I have seen only one of his movies-I Can Do Bad All By Myself-and, although it was a mess with an odd mix of over the top humor (Madea) and over the top melodrama (the rest of the movie, it did have some great moments of pleasure, primarily from Gladys Knight and Mary J Blige, and some man candy. I kind of, sort of enjoyed it much to my surprise. Perfect movie to rent from Redbox

by Anonymousreply 6104/08/2010

“I now have homes all over,” he said. “LA, Atlanta where I grew up, New York. But I live alone. In all my adult life I’ve had five serious relationships with women. And I’m not sure monogamy is for me.”

Why the emphasis on WOMEN??

by Anonymousreply 6204/08/2010

Winfrey and Perry were not attached to PRECIOUS until after the film was completed and premiered at Sundance. They had nothing to do with the making of the film.

They leant their names (and perhaps some $$) to it to help with the marketing and promotion.

Perry isn't the first one to connect with more working-to-middle class African-American audiences. Ice Cube had a nice run putting out films like BARBERSHOP and NEXT FRIDAY that were quite successful commercially.

To reiterate what another poster said, Perry's film are targeted primarily to Church Women and sympathetic men (unlike Ice Cube's films).

Perry is certainly successful, but based on the few films of his I've seen, there are elements of homophobia in them (Perry protesting a little too much, perhaps?).

Also, the overall suspicion and contempt toward educated, financially independent Black women is really obnoxious - they're almost always the villian.

Instead Perry's films pander to the basest kind of paternalism that the church adheres to.

by Anonymousreply 6304/08/2010

I much prefer Aunt Esther.

by Anonymousreply 6404/08/2010

[quote]Perry isn't the first one to connect with more working-to-middle class African-American audiences. Ice Cube had a nice run putting out films like BARBERSHOP and NEXT FRIDAY that were quite successful commercially.

Again, whites not understanding history. Tyler's plays paved the way for Cube's Barbershop and more artistically Friday films. Tyler's view point, however, is from that of the working class, over-weight, discarded black woman. Cube's is from a more young black male horny view point.

by Anonymousreply 6504/08/2010

aunt esther was not the hero; madea is. aunt esther was the joke. madea, while funny, is not the punch line of tyler's movies. she delivers both the punch line and the punches.

by Anonymousreply 6604/08/2010

That's their nephew. He looks OK. He needs a hair cut though.

This is their son.

I don't want no latte, I want some Hershey's Special dark!

by Anonymousreply 6704/08/2010

R56, I didn't mean that the black female experience needs to be exploited on film as some sort of teachable moment for whites, and I didn't mean to imply that minorities aren't allowed escapist fare.

My reservations about Perry's work stem from the fact that his entire oeuvre is anchored on (and in turn promotes) a paternalistic and reactionary worldview.

Being happily single, a lesbian, or dating outside of her race is never presented as a viable option to any of his heroines. But then, to be fair, those aren't presented as a viable options in mainstream romantic comedies either.

Also, speaking of interracial dating, r42/49/56 etc., do you want to go out for dinner sometime?

by Anonymousreply 6804/08/2010

Good christ, I nearly creamed at that pic at r67. How does one get a body like that?

by Anonymousreply 6904/08/2010

by Anonymousreply 7004/08/2010

r60, do yourself a favor and open the link provided by r59.

Again, this man is more than likely gay. But don't get in a verbal match with the Tyler female audience on his sexuality. He is their #one fantasy.

Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 7104/08/2010

"Tyler's plays paved the way for Cube's Barbershop and more artistically Friday films."

Bad grammer aside, that's bull. You yourself say that Cube's films are for a different audience, so how could Perry's plays have anything to do with the success of Cube's films?

Ice Cube's film career started with the very successful BOYZ 'N THE HOOD. If anything paved the way to his producing/acting projects it was the wave of grittier films that came out in the 90's and were fairly successful commercially (TRESSPASS, GLASS SHIELD, THE PLAYERS CLUB)and featured hip-hop artists.

He was smart enough to take his image and re-package it for a PG-13 audience. He doesn't owe a thing to Tyler Perry.

by Anonymousreply 7204/08/2010

R71, I never understood the anger directed towards females who buy into the lies promoted by closet cases. A majority of black women old and young knew Luther was gay. They still purchased his music and went to his concerts. To my knowledge he never had a beard or tired to sell himself as a sex image to black females.

by Anonymousreply 7304/08/2010

Who says he's wonderful?

by Anonymousreply 7404/08/2010

I have always thought Lance Gross was gay, but go on any black blog that has him on and the women go wild. He doesn't really look that good except when photoshoppedas in r59's post.

R73 Luthers music was good so it didn't matter. Besides he was fat and ugly but the voice was nice, like Barry White.

by Anonymousreply 7504/08/2010

He's a closeted gay male who produces absurdly hetero-centric works that appeal to church-going black social conservatives. He makes my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 7604/08/2010

I really enjoy Tyler Perrys stuff, his "Madea's Family Reunion"? Just doesn't get nuch better, very true to life. yet funny and that wedding? Beautiful, those live angels were over the top. I just can't get enough of Madea. Perry is the black Dell Shore, I can't get enough of his stuff either.

by Anonymousreply 7704/08/2010

His stuff is amateurish and worse than Michael Bay. His weird simpering mouth make me want to punch him.

by Anonymousreply 7804/08/2010

by Anonymousreply 7904/08/2010

lol, Barkley thinks he's going to punch somebody in the mouth. lol

I guess Tyler isn't the only homosexual man entrenched in fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 8004/08/2010

He's way more weak and effem than I am, honey! And I'm way more talented and original than that hack!

by Anonymousreply 8104/08/2010

bwahhahahahhahhaaa!!!

suuurre you are, barkley. we believe you.

by Anonymousreply 8204/08/2010

doubt it, r81.

by Anonymousreply 8304/08/2010

Barkley, you are the biggest bitch on DL. Crawl back up under your mother's tit. You are punching nothing except that assembly line job time card.

by Anonymousreply 8404/08/2010

Barkley is a homophobic piece of racist shit.

by Anonymousreply 8504/08/2010

Hey Barkley, do you look anything like MHB?

by Anonymousreply 8604/08/2010

Is the thread about Barkley now? How about we ignore the troll and move on.

by Anonymousreply 8704/08/2010

LMAO, from punching to crying uncle huh Barkley.

by Anonymousreply 8804/08/2010

Has anyone told Barkley how much I'd like to throw hot grease on him? Well I would!

by Anonymousreply 8904/08/2010

Hot GRITS r89, hot grits!

by Anonymousreply 9004/08/2010

I wonder if Tyler Perry has seen the latest Boondocks episode. Damn, it was brutal! And funny.

by Anonymousreply 9106/22/2010

Who cares, do your thing Tyler - let the haters hate.

by Anonymousreply 9206/22/2010

R92 exemplifies the anti-thought approach that serves "the culture" so well. To think is to hate. Yassuh.

Perry knows his market, and he serves up plates of warm, sugared, spicy, salty crap in just the right blends with nothing to challenge anyone - and of course no one buys any of it, including him. At least Capra bought his corn. At least Disney believed in the ethos of his smarm. But this cynical zillionaire hides in plain sight, is too fake to come out of the closet, and throws his swill out over and over for the hogs to chow down.

Which they do.

Yummy.

by Anonymousreply 9306/23/2010

93, Just because its crap to you doesn't mean that its crap to everybody.....everybody doesn't have to live by your worldview.

by Anonymousreply 9406/23/2010

Anyone see The Boondocks on Sunday. It pretty much called out Perry and said he uses faith and unflattering stereotypes to hide the fact that he fucks dudes.

by Anonymousreply 9506/23/2010

[quote]throws his swill out over and over for the hogs to chow down.

Who you callin hog, mofo?

by Anonymousreply 9606/23/2010

"Anyone see The Boondocks on Sunday. It pretty much called out Perry and said he uses faith and unflattering stereotypes to hide the fact that he fucks dudes."

Yes, it was great. But some people are offended because they think that McGruder mocked Jesus and Christians. And some of them still believe that Perry is straight!

by Anonymousreply 9706/23/2010

Tyler is mad:

"According to a source, Tyler Perry is a drag queen scorned!!!

Word on the streets is the recent ’Boondocks’ episode, that mocked everything TP hit a deep nerve with the mogul. Our source claims he’s paranoid and believes it was an inside job – based on the show’s accuracy!!!

Our source also says that Madea is giving pink slips to his entire staff [not the shirtless boy wonders of course] starting Friday – – he wants to control any leaks of information about ”the compound!!”

DIVA! So apparently the information in the Boondock’s episode had some truth to it, and only could’ve been leaked by someone that works at the studio. So, um, which part of the episode below has some truth to it Mr. Perry!!!

The oily men? The casting couch? The Jesus epiphanies?"

by Anonymousreply 9806/26/2010

I pretty much tolerated Perry (even though I think that he is a hypocritical hack pandering to homophobic biases) but when he screwed over his writers* he pretty much illustrated his true colors.

* Only to be humiliated into doing the right thing.

by Anonymousreply 9906/26/2010

I'm sure OP has never see to any of Tyler Perry's movies, yet is inclined to spark racial, bigoted arguments.

by Anonymousreply 10006/26/2010

He has a new shitcom coming out. Am I the only one who thinks the actor in this interview clip pings? Skip ahead to the 1:30 point.

by Anonymousreply 10105/21/2013

That guy is fine!

by Anonymousreply 10205/21/2013

In every Tyler Perry movie or sitcom, there's always a pretty lightskin guy who's the main love interest. I'm just sayin......

by Anonymousreply 10305/21/2013

Kendra C Johnson has a remarkable resemblance to Oprah.

r101, I think he is pinging because he is SO DAMN PRETTY! That happens sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 10405/21/2013

Who is that guy with the video blog who had his face cut? He outed Perry BIG time as a huge queen who turned his back on the black gay community when he got some success. There is another thread about it around here somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 10505/21/2013

Don't know if they're still together but he was dating the black guy who does the commercials. That guy ended up in one of his movies too.

by Anonymousreply 10605/21/2013

I'm anxious to see his new soap called "The Haves and the Have Nots" that's premiering soon on OWN. It stars John Schneider (yes, Bo Duke!) as a wealthy, philandering judge who's sleeping with his black maid's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 10705/21/2013

[R101], I think he is pinging because he is SO DAMN PRETTY! That happens sometimes.

It's not just that he's pretty, but also his mannerisms and his voice.

by Anonymousreply 10805/21/2013

r101 here is more Andre...what do you think?

by Anonymousreply 10905/21/2013

R109 Yep, I saw that clip too and again, I think he pings. Plus, on his Twitter, he has re-tweets of when Delaware and Minnesota passed gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 11005/21/2013

Well he must be one of the children then! Shout out to TP if Andre put out for him for the part on the show. That boy has some pretty teeth, and everything else

by Anonymousreply 11105/21/2013

r101, what's his twitter handle?

by Anonymousreply 11205/21/2013

Okay, not trying to stir up shit but... I went on that studio lot for an audition and I swear the only black people I saw were the guard at the gate and the Casting Director. Oh and the black actors on the movies on the monitor in the lobby.

Seriously, it looked as lily white as every studio lot I ever was on in L.A.,

by Anonymousreply 11305/21/2013

R113 Not surprised. And noticed how it's always light-skinned guys that are cast as the "heartthrobs".

by Anonymousreply 11405/21/2013

That's not true in his Temptation movie 114. Both guys are brown skinned.

by Anonymousreply 11505/21/2013

Hey r113 what about crew members did you see who was working behind the camera? Is the crew integrated?

by Anonymousreply 11605/21/2013

[quote]In every Tyler Perry movie or sitcom, there's always a pretty lightskin guy who's the main love interest. I'm just sayin......

Idris Elba and Lamman Rucker aren't lightskinned

by Anonymousreply 11705/21/2013

To be fair, haven't been on one of his sets yet, R116, just meetings at the studio itself. Think you can google a clip of Oprah "visiting:" to announce new sitcom on OWN and it's a pretty mixed bag -- but, even there, far more white than I would've imagine. Especially in ATL.

by Anonymousreply 11805/21/2013

I love all of his stuff. He is HILARIOUS!

by Anonymousreply 11905/21/2013

Well I work in LA in "the biz" and there are more Black crew people than there were when I started in the 90's but still not a lot. So I would guess that he would have a difficult time in Atlanta finding Black crew members that know what the hell they are doing.

by Anonymousreply 12005/22/2013

I think that her work has gone downhill since "One of the Boys."

by Anonymousreply 12105/22/2013

Just a little surprised that Oprah would want his trash on her network. I saw the interview that Steve Harvey did with Oprah when she was on his show last month. She said that Tyler will be making his productions for her network exclusively. Apparently Tyler was going to start his own network but Oprah and he made a deal to use OWN.

I thought O would want quality seeing as how the viewers that watch her self help and spiritual shows is a mixed crowd that doesn't seem to fit viewers of Tyler's simple minded bullshit.

I mean how is it that you are serving up all the metaphysical Deepak Chopra and the Secret stuff then turn around and put on the Black bible thumpers two hours later?

by Anonymousreply 12205/22/2013

I don't think O cares about quality at this point - she's just trying to get people to watch the channel any way she can.

by Anonymousreply 12305/22/2013

Oprah found out that quality doesn't sell -- her brand of quality, at least. Plus, she and Perry are besties.

by Anonymousreply 12405/22/2013

[quote]she's just trying to get people to watch the channel any way she can.

Well she will win me over if she has more hot guys like Andre Hall on the network. Good find Oprah!

by Anonymousreply 12505/22/2013

Yeah but why not ask Shonda Rhimes to pitch some ideas? The production quality does not have to be high but the writing could be great.

Also wonder how she would feel finding out about her bestie having his former gay lover cut up?

by Anonymousreply 12605/22/2013

Tyler Perry should write a TV drama loosely based on his own life, including flashbacks from his childhood, the gay, and the problems in his personal life as an adult. He probably has a lot of stuff already written but if he worked with the right people it could be brilliant. I dont think there has been anything on TV like that before, and OWN would be the perfect place for it.

by Anonymousreply 12705/22/2013

Sounds great r127, except Tyler is not gonna do that! Especially the gay stuff.

by Anonymousreply 12805/22/2013

His movies are crap, and there is a lot of homophobia and misogyny in them. For example the career women and female adulterers are slapped or given HIV. So I think people have the right to criticize his work.

But I also think some people are just pissed that a movie is focusing on a "non-universal" demographic. Hollywood thinks all movies should be about straight white men- and occasionally white women- as if there point of view and experiences are "normative". The minute a movie ventures off on another demographic there is an avalanche of hate- even if the quality of the movie is okay.

I do hate Tyler for not taking advantage of his fame and wealth to create quality movies and to venture away from the melodrama and romantic comedies.

by Anonymousreply 12905/22/2013

I don't believe in outing people, but if Tyler Perry continues to include homophobia in his movies and TV shows, he should be outed.

by Anonymousreply 13005/22/2013

[quote]if Tyler Perry continues to include homophobia in his movies and TV shows, he should be outed.

Why does everyone keep saying he needs to be outed? He has very publicly acknowledged that his sexual desires are not clear for very unfortunate reasons.

And why do people choose to hate him for homophobia and misogyny in his movies when it is just as bad, if not worse in the rest of Hollywood??

I get sick of people ragging on his work, even if it is at times juvenile. The guy has put more black people in movies and television than all the major networks and studios combined for the last ten years. And he's not done yet.

by Anonymousreply 13105/22/2013

Thanks, Oprah.

Go to the studio and count em for yourself. Bring one hand and a couple of fingers.

by Anonymousreply 13205/22/2013

r131 No, Tyler Perry's misogyny is a lot worse than Hollywood. Although yes you are right the homophobia in his films are no different than Hollywood.

For example, show me a Hollywood film where a career women is slapped or given HIV as punishment for being too uppity. This is so strange and creepy, especially since his core audience are females.

by Anonymousreply 13305/22/2013

So Tyler should be free from criticism because he supposedly gives black people more work in the industry? We can't criticize him because then we are 'white gays' that know nothing about where he came from, his demographic, black culture, etc.? How do these people here know who we are or what we know? So because one is of a group that is marginalized, silenced, and dismissed by society and Hollywood, we should be happy with any scraps we are given?

The kind of apologists this man has are unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 13405/22/2013

r134 I agree. Sometimes it is best to not have visibility if the movie/TV show is highly stereotypical and damaging.

by Anonymousreply 13505/22/2013

r134, nobody said you had to like his work. Hell, I haven't seen anything he has done in years. But it feels as if people go out of their way to attack him personally because they dont like his crappy movies. There are so many more unsavory black entertainers out there available for you to shade.

by Anonymousreply 13605/22/2013

I agree with R136

by Anonymousreply 13705/22/2013

R136 But that's the thing 136. So many others seem to take the criticism of him as some sort of personal attack against him...which is simply not true. We are critiquing his work artistically, commercially, as well as commenting on his professional business, and where it falls in line in the bigger picture of media, culture, and the black community...and how it affects all three. If we mention his sexuality, well, that just comes with the territory of being a public figure. And this is Datalounge, that's one of the whole reasons for this board. Plus, discussing sexuality is not a put-down, insult, or accusation. Whether people like it or not, it comes with the territory of being a public figure. If he doesn't want the criticism, or his fans can't take it, then maybe he should educate himself (about a whole hell of a lot of things) so that he can make a better product.

by Anonymousreply 13805/23/2013

If the white gay community hates the work that Tyler Perry produces then maybe they should start producing quality work with black actors as the leads.

by Anonymousreply 13905/23/2013

r139 Well black actresses really. Black actors are mostly not leads in Perry's films. And black actors have it better in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 14005/23/2013

He casts men who all look like they could be in a male revue troupe.

by Anonymousreply 14105/23/2013

r141 Well of course. The movies are meant for (straight)women, and they like good looking men. Movies targeted towards straight men do the same thing in reverse.

by Anonymousreply 14205/23/2013

Wait, is he gay now?

by Anonymousreply 14305/23/2013

I really would like to see a great Tyler Perry movie.

Unfortunately, despite good premises, they all eventually collapse under the weight of every tired ass cliche in the book.

The Peebles movie looked good but it appears to be languishing at the box ofice.

by Anonymousreply 14405/23/2013

This whole thread is moot, since no one ever said there was something wonderful about Tyler Perry. My own tears were about something else.

by Anonymousreply 14505/23/2013

Tyler sits down with Mother Oprah and talks about feeling like he had to save Nippy.

Oprah is working a purple sweater and purple lipstick and purple eyeshadow, hunty!

by Anonymousreply 14605/27/2013

Oprah looks about 100 years old now. Too much makeup but still doesn't cover up the sags.

by Anonymousreply 14705/27/2013

R147 Yeah, O needs to get those bags lifted. She has the money, so I don't know what she's waiting for.

by Anonymousreply 14805/27/2013

[quote]Sounds great [R127], except Tyler is not gonna do that! Especially the gay stuff.

You never know r128.

I just watched Love Thy Neighbor, just to look at Andre Hall's fine ass. The show is standard Tyler Perry sitcom. I bet Andre is going shirtless on the show soon, only that will save OWN at his point!

by Anonymousreply 14905/30/2013

[quote] O needs to get those bags lifted. She has the money, so I don't know what she's waiting for.

Lesbians don't care about physical appearance. Gayle will still love O and go down on her even if O looks like a haggard bag lady.

by Anonymousreply 15005/31/2013

Has anyone seen Andre Hall from Love Thy Neighbor? If anyone has any question about Tyler's sexuality, just take note of all the hot men he has in his movies and TV shows.

Shemar Moore, Aaron O'Connell, Andre Hall, Tyler Lepley, Christian Keyes, Terrell Carter, etc.

by Anonymousreply 15107/31/2013

You have to give TP credit for shamelessly featuring all those fine guys. TP knows that he can get at least a few more gay eyeballs to watch his show with Andre Hall, who is just a pleasure to look at.

by Anonymousreply 15207/31/2013

Did anyone ever see that episode of "The Boondocks" that basically parodied Tyler Perry?

They play out some good stuff as to why he always hires big, buff Black men. The whole episode is great.

And TP got SUPER mad and went on the defensive after that aired. He CANNOT take criticism...nor satire. Why get so defensive if you say it isn't true Tyler?

by Anonymousreply 15308/01/2013

Wow. What haters. I will keep it simple. Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. If you do not like Tyler Perry's work then you write a play or movie. Until then you should keep your opinions to yourself. You know they talk about Jesus Christ also.

by Anonymousreply 15402/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.