Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Best Fast-Food-Chain Burger?

[italic]Come on, DL connoisseurs...[/italic]

Who is the best in the fast-food chains for burgers?

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 12805/16/2013

Five Guys

In & Out Burger

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 104/06/2010

In-n-Out.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 204/06/2010

Whataburger

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 304/06/2010

I had Five Guys for the first time while in Phoenix last month.

Delicious. I had a double burger with bacon, no cheese. Fries were great too. Of course, it was a disaster nutritionally. So, I won't eat there regularly, but I'll look forward to it a couple of times a year.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 404/06/2010

There's a Five Guy near me. Thankfully I only go about three times a year.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 504/06/2010

White Castles. The rest are posers and pretenders.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 604/06/2010

Lick's, in Toronto, Ontario.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 704/06/2010

MOS burger

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 804/06/2010

In-&-Out.

And I'm a New Yorker....

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 904/06/2010

Blakes Lotaburger in New Mexico but it varies by location.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 1004/06/2010

Another vote for In-n-Out

Specifically a Double-Double, with onions.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 1104/06/2010

Cousin Burgers in Southern CA...Also The Habit is pretty good

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 1204/06/2010

In-n-Out has garbagey meat. It tastes rancid if you strip all of the add-ons.

Fatburger, thank you very much.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 1304/06/2010

Mr Mikes

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 1404/06/2010

Five Guys on the east coast. Fatburger on the west coast.

But MOS Burger will always have a special place in my heart.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 1504/06/2010

In n Out with grilled onions

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 1604/06/2010

OP here.

Thanks for the responses, so far.

I'm sorry I don't live in the area of locations for In-N-Out Burger. (They're in California, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona - while I'm in Michigan.)

Anyone ever have Steak 'n Shake, which is popular in the midwest (founded in Normal, Illinois)?

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 1704/06/2010

In N Out if you can ignore the Bible verses on the bottom of their cups.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 1804/06/2010

ANother vote for Five Guys. Had it once and was very impressed.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 1904/06/2010

In-N-Out owns this thread.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 2004/06/2010

Steak-n-Shake is grossly over-rated. I ate there once. It was rather lame.

I do like Red Robin. Unfortunately they took my favorite burger off the menu (the Bacon Guacamole Burger), but you can still order it, thankfully.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 2104/06/2010

[quote]White Castles. The rest are posers and pretenders.

I just mentioned Five Guys but forgot White Castle! I am crazy about them. They are so unique and addictive. And their sides and shakes are great too. Classic restaurant.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 2204/06/2010

Smashburger

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 2304/06/2010

Steak n Shake. It's burger heaven.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 2404/06/2010

Hi OP/R17. I grew up in the midwest. Steak 'n Shake is awesome. Double Steakburger with cheese, those yummy skinny fries, and a chocolate shake. Hell yes.

I live on the west coast but when I go back to visit, Steak 'n Shake is the first place I go. Really.

I like In & Out too, but they seem just a wee bit, well, slimy.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 2504/06/2010

And the greatest thing about White Castles are the farts. Smell just like the burgers.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 2604/06/2010

There's a place around here called "Freddy's Ice-Cream" ... they have frozen custard as well as really good burgers and dogs.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 2704/06/2010

"Freddy's" is like a vastly superior Steak-n-Shake.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 2804/06/2010

In-n-Out, animal style. At least of the ones I've tried.

They get the proportions right, and they toast the damn bun.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 2904/06/2010

I love Culver's Butter-Burgers.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 3004/06/2010

"In-n-Out, animal style. At least of the ones I've tried."

Yes, perfect because you don't have to TASTE THE ACTUAL MEAT.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 3104/06/2010

In-and-Out.

I've been to 5 Guys and I wasn't all that impressed. Their fries weren't very good (although an order of fries is huge).

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 3204/06/2010

I thought Five Guys was WAY too greasy.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 3304/06/2010

Liked the Five Guys burgers. HATED the fries.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 3404/06/2010

[quote]I thought Five Guys was WAY too greasy.

Scuse me? You gotta problem with that?

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 3504/06/2010

Is there something I'm missing? I don't get the fuss over Five Guys and several people I know rave about it. And I'm not what you would call a picky eater, either.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 3604/06/2010

It depends on the individual franchise, R36. I assume the original Five Guys is excellent, but I doubt you'll find the same consistency at all the locations.

Another vote for Red Robin here.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 3704/06/2010

R31, I've had the regular In-n-Out and I don't share your aversion to the flavor of the beef. It's fine.

Unlike that nasty crap McDonalds's sticks between their vile buns.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 3804/06/2010

FATBURGER!!!

I don't get the In and Out love. I was disappointed when I tried that place.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 3904/06/2010

R38 if you're going to compare it to McDonald's non-meat you're not starting out with a good argument.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 4004/06/2010

In and Out is completely overrated.

I live in SoCal and people get positively orgasmic at the mere mention of it. Kind of like people used to swear Robin Williams was hialrious.

Whataburger, on the other hand, is dee-fucking-lish.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 4104/06/2010

Given a choice between In-n-Out and Whataburger, I'd pretty much choose In-n-Out four times out of five.

The only thing I really love at Whataburger is the seasonal "Pepper-corn Ranch Whata-Chicken" sandwich. If they had that all the time, I'd probably be obese. I LOVE that thing. The rest of their food? Meh. Though their breakfast taquitos or whatever are pretty good.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 4204/06/2010

I rather make my own burger on the grill.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 4304/06/2010

1. Fat Burger

2. In n Out

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 4404/06/2010

But that really has nothing to do with the point of the thread, now does it, R43?

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 4504/06/2010

You are absolutely right, R45, but then how else is R43 going to make herself feel oh so superior?

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 4604/06/2010

Portland, OR here. Burgerville is awesome.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 4704/06/2010

Del Taco, no competition.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 4804/06/2010

No Fuddrucker's, Culver's, etc

Are the eighties really dead?

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 4904/06/2010

Meat is murder.

Throwing bucket of red paint at you all.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 5004/06/2010

A good old-fashioned Whopper.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 5104/06/2010

I liked Steak & Shake though I don't think they are anywhere near the best burgers. It was one of the few cheap places I can enjoy with my parents. But I found out they have trans fat in the bun. I'm sorry but I don't want that shit or HFCS in my body ever and bread items DO NOT NEED IT if they are even close to fresh. So I quit eating there and now bring my folks a pizza from a local Italian place when I stop over with food now.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 5204/06/2010

Another vote for Culver's!

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 5304/06/2010

Five Guys are awesome but I hate the gooey greasy fries. Yuck.

Steak and Shake are so proud of searing their steakburgers. Who wants to eat a crunchy burger? Flavor is good though and the shoe string fries definitely make it worth the trip.

We just got a Red Robin and I like what I have had so far, but it sure is hard to justify the price.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 5404/06/2010

steak and shake is the biggest pit I've ever been too. Bad service, glaring flourescent lights, horrible fries that look like toothpicks. Everyone I've who goes there does it because their a tightwad.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 5504/06/2010

If you can find a good franchise, the Six Dollar Burgers at Carl's Jr. can be pretty amazing. Get a bad franchise (Glendale CA on Los Feliz and San Fernando, I'm looking at you), and you are literally gambling with your life.

In 'n Out always makes me smile.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 5604/06/2010

Another vote for Fatburger.

OK, here's my Steak N Shake story. Well over 30 years ago, when I was in college at the University of Illinois, my roommate and I would go to the Steak N Shake in Champaign around 3 in the morning.

One night we're there, I'm facing the front door. And in walks Leontyne Price, and her ex-husband, William Warfield who taught voice there. She's wearing this floor length sable coat, with matching hat. I plotzed. I whispered to my roommate (who was a voice major) OMG, it's Leontyne Price in a floor length sable and matching hat, with her ex-husband William Warfield. They're ordering take out (Tak-Home-A-Sak, it was called in the day).

He told me I was high, turned around, and almost had a stroke.

That's my Steak N Shake story for the day.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 5704/06/2010

Cook Out

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 5804/06/2010

In-n-Out is much ado about nothing. I went there the last time I was in California after hearing about it so much and it was just meh. I kept thinking, "Is that all there is to this stuff?"

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 5904/06/2010

OP, you gotta go to the Redcoat Tavern in Royal Oak. Get the Piedmont beef. O.M.G.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 6004/06/2010

My tastes seem to run opposite of everyone else's, because I think In-N-Out's burgers are much better than Five Guys. In-N-Out's burgers are what I expect a good fast food burger to taste like and Five Guys is just a mediocre version of something I can make at home. I prefer Five Guy's fries, though. In-N-Out's taste like cardboard.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 6104/06/2010

Five Guys wins the thread!

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 6204/06/2010

Whataburger?? What a joke. I had one on Phoenix recently on the way up to Sedona. Awful, awful burger and soggy fries. I ate about half and tossed the rest--and doubly regretted the choice when I passed an In-N-Out burger farther on down the highway.

I'd have taken a Big Mac or Whopper over that vile Whataburger any day. Oh, and the big "One Nation UNDER GOD" sign at the register didn't help, either.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 6304/06/2010

Sounds like you went to a bad franchise then.

I assure you, not all Whataburgers are anything like you described.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 6404/06/2010

Whataburger is the best fast-food burger in Houston. There's a local chain that has much better burgers, but Beck's Prime is never fast.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 6504/06/2010

[quote]No Fuddrucker's, Culver's, etc

Culver's was previously mentioned, R49. Sorry.

But yeah, interesting that nobody has mentioned Fuddruckers. There's one around here somewhere, but I haven't eaten there in probaby 6 or 7 years. I just don't even think about that place as an option any more. Weird.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 6604/06/2010

Fatburger is soooo much better than In-N-Out, but they don't have a drive-in window.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 6704/06/2010

Fuddrucker's isn't exactly FAST.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 6804/06/2010

No Chili's either, and long ago in the 80s, Chili's had decent burgers.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 6904/06/2010

The In 'n' Out near me has a drive thru like Disneyland's old Autopia. Then I heard a lot of them feature this annoyance.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 7004/06/2010

OP I'm in MI too, we don't seem to get any of the good ones up here, but I like Steak'n Shake and Culvers.

Checker's is okay, but the only one I know of is by the airport and is poorly staffed.

They just started building Sonics locations in my area and I'm thinking of going. Can anyone let me know what to expect if I do?

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 7104/06/2010

Swensons, Fuddruckers (sp?).

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 7204/06/2010

Del Taco has surprisingly good burgers, just get the fries elsewhere.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 7304/06/2010

As far as chains go I do like Steak & Shake "IN SIGHT IT MUST BE RIGHT"!!

But as far as I'm concerned none of these chains can hold a candle to the little mom and pop hamburger joints you can find all over in small town America. If the hamburger meat is a pre-formed frozen patty there's no way they are in the league of "the best".

A hand packed burger made from beef the restaurant owner most likely went out and purchased himself is always the best.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 7404/06/2010

The best chain FF burger I ever had was from Danvers which is sadly long gone. They had big thick bugers that were served with just the bun and you went over to the salad bar to dress your burger any way you liked it. Corporate corruption closed them down.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 7504/06/2010

FATBURGER!

Johnny Rockets will do in a pinch.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 7604/06/2010

Sadly, I've never been to any of these places mentioned here. Well, except for Red Robin and White Castle. I do enjoy the Whopper.

When I lived in Colorado there was this "old-fashioned" burger joint called Conway's Red Top. I liked their burgers with a chocolate malt.

I like burgers from diners.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 7704/06/2010

Red Robin! Delish!

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 7804/06/2010

There is a place called Smash Burger that's supposed to be good.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 7904/06/2010

TGIF's triple prime burger was good, but not fast.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 8004/06/2010

There's a Smash Burger near me, but haven't gone yet. What's the consensus on Smash Burger? Anyone tried it?

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 8104/06/2010

Fuddrucker's, Chili's, Friday's? These places would deserve their own thread. They're not fast food burger joints.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 8204/06/2010

OK. If we're talking fast food chain, I have to give it to Burger King. My close second choice is Wendy's. Period. The two I go to are very busy. That's one piece of advice my older brother gave me that I value. He said only go to fast food places that are really busy. High turnover means fresher food.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 8304/06/2010

Hamburger Heaven. Small chain great food. The quintessential 50s style suburban hamburger joint. I love the burgers and the special mix they put on. They are not gross and greasy and don't have the obvious char-grilled artifical flavoring of some "other" fast food places. Their Root-beer is really good too, the fries are really salty and the combo of the two with the hamburger is addictive. Everytime I go, I get a burger, root beer, and onion rings, mt bf gets the same but with fries. So good, it has to be awfully bad for me for it tast that good.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 8404/06/2010

OP I am also in Michigan. Have you tried Red cOat in West Bloomfield or Royal Oak? If you pick it up I will pay. Really in the mood for a great burger!

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 8504/06/2010

hey r35, I've never heard of that place. Do you mind posting a link so I can check it out.

thanks.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 8604/06/2010

OP, r60 or r85....have you been to Miller's Bar in Dearborn? Great burgers there, as good or better than Redcoat.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 8704/07/2010

In-N-Out, hands down. No other fast food chain has the quality control INO does when it comes to their meat and produce.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 8804/07/2010

I like a little of the ol' In and Out.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 8904/07/2010

I'm adding a vote for Five Guys. I only just discovered them in D.C., and was thrilled to find out they've got 2 or 3 new restaurants in Manhattan.

I need to get out more.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 9004/07/2010

In the Midwest, it's gotta be Culver's.

We have no In-and-Out here, and we just recently got Sonic, Fatburger and Five Guys.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 9104/07/2010

Here you go--everything you need to know about the fast food chains!

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 9204/07/2010

I find it interesting nobody has really mentioned Sonic.

I do love the place, but NOT for their burgers.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 9304/07/2010

Dairy Queen has the best fast-food cheeseburgers. yum!

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 9404/07/2010

The Dairy Queens in Texas (or at least in Austin) dont' carry them. They have the Belt-Buster combos, the big burgers. But they don't have the regular small cheeseburgers.

Or any of the "Value Meal" items.

It FUCKING SUCKS. I have to watch all these mouth-watering ads for things I cannot buy.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 9504/07/2010

Beck's Prime is damn good. I think their chocolate milkshakes are actually made with real chocolate ice cream and not vanilla with syrup.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 9604/07/2010

I'm shocked no one's mentioned

BOBBY FLAY'S BURGER PALACE

but maybe it's because there aren't many of them yet.

The burgers, fries, onion rings and shakes are amazing. The kids who work there are cute and polite and it's not expensive. And you actually leave there not feeling overstuffed and regretting what you ate.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 9704/07/2010

White Castle - It's like crackburger

Fat Burger wins my vote over In N Out

And in LA the original Tommy's Burger. Greasy and disgusting as all hell. While you are eating them you are in fucking heaven. But you will pay for it later, mark my words.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 9804/07/2010

When I lived in Montreal many years ago I used to go to Mr. Steer on St. Catherine Street. I'd have a Steerburger with Suzy-Q french fries. I have no idea if it's still there but it was really good.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 9904/07/2010

R81 SmashBurger is supposed to be incredible. I'm chomping at the bit until one finally comes to my area. I'm going to go on teh first day of opening to get the deluxe burger.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 10004/07/2010

Thanks, R92. The fecal matter in the pop dispensers was real encouraging! On the rare occasions I go to a fast food restaurant, I never get the pop or the fries.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 10104/08/2010

17 we have Five Guys and Fatburger here in Michigan.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 10204/08/2010

Went to Islands today for lunch and had the Hawaiian..it was really good...next time I would order it without the bland tomato and have the sauce on the side..pretty messy..

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 10304/16/2010

Since no one else mentioned it...there is a chain that is the same place but it has a different name. In New Jersey it is called Checkers and in Los Angeles it is Racers, but they have a checkered racing flag as the common logo and same menu. Their bacon cheeseburger is good and they have unique fries that are also good.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 10404/17/2010

71 I'm in Michigan. Sonic is horrible. Redcoat Tavern (as another poster said) is amazing. We have Fatburger. Really good. It's on Telegraph/12 mile in Southfield. Five Guy's is around the corner. Not impressed

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 10504/17/2010

Sonic and Five Guys

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 10604/17/2010

Cookout

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 10704/17/2010

People still eat hamburgers? All the saturated fat? The red meat? The cholesterol? Some people are killing them selves one meal at a time.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 10804/17/2010

Faux food piety is so 2004, R108.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 10904/17/2010

I've only been to Fatburger, but I do remember thinking it was great. I live in California and I've long been perplexed by all the love for In N Out. It's definitely a case of marketing over substance.

Among the super-duper-major fast food chains, Wendy's is the best, hands down. Big and juicy with a delicious spice blend. I also think McDonald's is pretty damn good, and I love the Quarter Pounder. Burger King is not good at all, the burgers are dry and flavorless. Roy Rogers is an abomination, and an insult to the cow (or raccoon) that died to make it. White Castle is gross, but I find it oddly comforting and have no trouble eating it.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 11004/17/2010

The last time I went down to Florida I had a Fuddrucker's burger and it was truly out of this world. They used to have more of them up here in the Northeast apparently but I've never seen any.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 11104/17/2010

Have you tried Little Tony's Lounge in the Woods in GP Woods? It's not a chain but it's really good! Great fries and onion rings too. It's also a bar.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 11204/17/2010

Cookout is the best

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 11304/17/2010

Hardees

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 11404/17/2010

Z-Burgers

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 11504/17/2010

Krystal

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 11604/17/2010

White Castle is one of my favs! When I lived in Detroit there were 2 little burger joints on Fort street called Mott's........Now they were the ultimate slider! They were twice the size of a white castle at the same price.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 11704/17/2010

Checkers

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 11805/16/2013

People willing to spend big bucks for fancy burgers are nuts. Believing the hype is just really dense.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 11905/16/2013

Whataburger

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 12005/16/2013

Smashburger is good.

In N Out is good.

Blake's Lot O Burger in NM is wonderful Whataburger is the best.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 12105/16/2013

Good Times.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 12205/16/2013

Definitely Whataburger!

They also have the BEST ketchup.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 12305/16/2013

You're all fucked. Farmer Brothers in California and Nevada. Everything else is ALPO.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 12405/16/2013

Checkers

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 12505/16/2013

FARMER BOYS! I totes fucked that up because I'm high!

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 12605/16/2013

OP I'm in Michigan. Try Brady's Tavern on Southfield Rd in Southfield. Not a chain but its a great burger .

We had Fatburger here and they closed. Really good burgers.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 12705/16/2013

71 I'm in Michigan. Tried Sonic and was not impressed. Not a fan of Five Guy's either.

by I''m hungry, dammit!reply 12805/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.