Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Giant, the movie

... is on TCM tonight.

It is 3 hours 20 minutes long.

Do my fellow DLers consider it worth watching ?

I usually enjoy older movies but this one is twice as long as the average film so I'd like some opinions from other movie lovers.

by Anonymousreply 10511/24/2013

Watch it. It goes by in no time, and is sooooo worth it.

K

by Anonymousreply 104/05/2010

LOVE this movie.

by Anonymousreply 204/05/2010

Giant is fabulous. I wouldn't have known it was on if not for you, OP, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 304/05/2010

The musical is 4 and 1/2 hours long. But worth it.

by Anonymousreply 404/05/2010

The movie is a snooze. Several hours of my life I'll never get back, OP. Not even cute James Dean kept me interested.

by Anonymousreply 504/05/2010

What 1, 2, and 3 said.

Amazing now to think of James Dean, Rock Hudson, AND Elizabeth Taylor in a movie together.

Talk about perfection.

by Anonymousreply 604/05/2010

J'ADORE Giant!!

by Anonymousreply 704/05/2010

Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 804/05/2010

I enjoyed Taylor the most. I guess that's partly because of her character, but she's also really effective. George Stevens was probably her best director. She and Hudson both are excellent. I have issues with Dean. I know his voice is dubbed for parts when his character is older because he'd died, but of the three I think he's the weakest as the older Whatever His Character Name.

by Anonymousreply 904/05/2010

Hell yeah.

by Anonymousreply 1004/05/2010

Yeah, it's good, op.

How did this do at the BO in it's day? Did people really sit through over 3 hours in a theater then?

by Anonymousreply 1104/05/2010

Awful movie. One of George Stevens's most stilted. The thing is still-born. And it proves that James Dean has a range of 3 notes. It's worth seeing in the same may you might want to look at a historical document, and it does have Sal Mineo as a Mexican American, but of course he dies. Always gotta kill the other! That's what Hollywood movies are about. It's just a stiff, over-long, over-produced, badly acted bore.

by Anonymousreply 1204/05/2010

Dean walking his property, taking large steps, is an excellent example of film acting.

As memorable as Marilm dancing in THE MISFITS.

by Anonymousreply 1304/05/2010

Thank you, OP! I love this movie as well.

by Anonymousreply 1404/05/2010

I like it. It's like proto-Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 1504/05/2010

I enjoyed the movie because of the co stars- lots of characters

by Anonymousreply 1604/05/2010

R12,

That doesn't prevent it from being a movie that should be seen as a "foundation" film. Just as a well-rounded person knows certain books, plays and music, one should also know certain movies. And, mostly, ignore those top ten lists. Ask people like us. We do not come here just to fool you.

Hope to hear back from you later.

by Anonymousreply 1704/05/2010

It's a compelling mess. It has it's tedious moments, yet, I stayed with it.

And, r12 is correct about Dean. I've watched better acting from the local high school players.

by Anonymousreply 1804/05/2010

I've seen it several times over the years; when I was a teenager, I was blown away, but as I've grown older I've recognized that it is a bit stilted at times. Still, it's worth viewing for the gorgeous cinematography and the dynamic performances of Taylor and Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 1904/05/2010

Is it true that Rock Hudson and James Dean didn't like each other?

by Anonymousreply 2004/05/2010

Hudson and Dean were opposite actors, Hudson all Hollywood-made, Dean pretending an Actors Studio-type-dude, and they were different kinds of homosexuals, though both were closeted: But I'm guessing Hudson admitted to himself that he was a homo, whereas Dean apparently went back and forth and never committed.

GIANT is one of Hudson's best performances, I admit, but it's a bad film, and Dean isn't up to his character's aging.

by Anonymousreply 2104/05/2010

R21, in one of the James Dean bios (I think it's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"), it claims that the reason Hudson and Dean didn't like each other did indeed have something to do with their different approaches to their sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 2204/05/2010

Well, I'm just guessing that Hudson was all "discreet," whereas Dean was more punk, more like, "I fuck however I want."

by Anonymousreply 2304/05/2010

Yes, R11, fifty years ago people were willing to sit through three or four hours in a theater. Within the past few weeks I saw, for the first time in a long time, both BEN-HUR and LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. Both films had overtures (playing while the audience was entering the theater) and an entr'acte (playing while the audience was taking a bathroom and/or popcorn break). The audience's participation was structured right into the movie's set-up. But then again, movies were an almost-mystical experience in the 1950s, and people went to the movies in order to get a vision of life above and beyond their particular own narrow circumstances.

Compare with that a movie like AVATAR. Regardless of what you might think of the movie (and I personally did not regard it as any big deal, yes, even in the area of special effects), the movie itself was released strictly and solely as a highly depreciable commodity. In fact, I saw the film at a discount matinee less than ten days after it had been released. The buzz about the film disappeared right after the Oscars, and now AVATAR is ancient history. Just as if it had been made fifty years ago, as a matter of fact...

It's more than a matter of the quality of AVATAR vis-a-vis BEN-HUR or LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. Not only are the movies different, but the movie, as an artistic genre, is different, and the audiences are most assuredly different. The audiences of the 1950s went in search of a vision of reality, but the audiences of today, more often than not, go for the sake of momentary escapism. And in the end, the difference is soberly as simple as that...

by Anonymousreply 2404/05/2010

What R24 said--- in the 50's and 60's many movies were shown on reserved seat engagements in large cities before going into general release. These films would have two showings per day, there were programs for sale and sometimes the engagements would last for a year or more. Oh, and the films were always presented in pristine 70MM presentations with multi channel sound.

by Anonymousreply 2504/05/2010

Damn, I missed the first half hour, but thanks for starting the thread, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2604/05/2010

R25 is right. I went to see THE TEN COMMANDMENTS with my family to celebrate my seventh birthday, and I kept the program that I received from the usher as I went into the theater for quite a number of years. The program, I remember clearly, went heavily into Egyptian and Biblical history, introduced the actors and mentioned all the efforts that were made to make the film historically authentic.

The very idea of a program for a contemporary film is laughable today, but that is because seeing a film is no longer a ceremonial occasion. In fact, in an age when TV screens are getting larger and larger, the very idea of the movie theater itself is getting more and more passe...

by Anonymousreply 2704/05/2010

R27, I can only imagine what the program would be like for "Hot Tub Time Machine."

by Anonymousreply 2804/05/2010

James Dean was notvisually convincing as his aged character. He looked like a kid in a high school play with gray hair dye and a fake mustache.

by Anonymousreply 2904/05/2010

I grew up in a small town, and it always confuses me to look at the dates shown in IMDB. A movie they say was released in 1962 finally hit my town in 1964 or even later.

by Anonymousreply 3004/05/2010

The lifestyle celebrated in GIANT is entrepreneurial capitalism at its most ostentatiously vulgar, but people didn't mind in the 1950s because they assumed that, in the early days of the American Empire, a rising tide would lift all boats. If only they could know what lay ahead...

One of my fantasies (which, thankfully, can never be fulfilled) would be to lock up a typical 1950s audience in a movie theater and show 'em some modern hardcore movie classics (e.g. THE EXORCIST, THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, and one or two of Michael Moore's documentaries). Could you imagine the screams that would emanate from the theater after about fifteen or twenty minutes? The audience would freak, and justly so...

Toto, I have feeling that we are not in Kansas any more. In fact, that Kansas hasn't been around for quite some time...

by Anonymousreply 3104/05/2010

Thanks for answering 24,25 and 27.

by Anonymousreply 3204/05/2010

The cognitive dissonance of this movie shocks me. The hero is gay; the heroine is a notorious fag hag; and the anti-heroic underdog is bisexual. And the audiences of the 1950s never suspected a thing...

Ah, when will we get a TRUE history of the 1950s? That would be something special to read!

by Anonymousreply 3304/05/2010

Pretty Leslie has atrocious posture on horseback for a lady of her upbringing.

by Anonymousreply 3404/05/2010

Playing CLAIRE DE LUNE, on an organ no less, at a funeral! Only in Texas...

by Anonymousreply 3504/05/2010

R29, Dean may not cut the mustard as an old geezer, but he certainly does a good job as a young guy...

And the racism and sexism openly displayed in this movie! The 1950s audiences never ever saw it at all on the screen...

by Anonymousreply 3604/05/2010

I'm not really familiar with the Taylor-Hudson friendship. Could someone give a little background as to when they became really good friends?

When did she find out he was gay? Did he tell her or did she already know?

by Anonymousreply 3704/05/2010

[quote]Amazing now to think of James Dean, Rock Hudson, AND Elizabeth Taylor in a movie together.

Plus Rod Taylor and Dennis Hopper

by Anonymousreply 3804/05/2010

I don't know if I'd blame Dean for that, R29. He wasn't in charge of special effects.

by Anonymousreply 3904/05/2010

Well worth watching...Dennis Hopper, Carroll Baker, Chill Wills, Sal Mineo, Jane Withers just to name a few more....what a cast, what a story. Thank you Edna Ferber!

by Anonymousreply 4004/05/2010

I love this movie. It has everything. The cast is unbelievable. Jane Withers and Liz Taylor both former child stars. Carroll Baker, Chill Wills, Mercedes, Dennis Hopper, Rod Taylor. What other movie has a talent like this?

Thanks OP for the post.

by Anonymousreply 4104/05/2010

It's a complete and utter bore, wasting the talents of its cast. And I'm a big George Stevens fan!

by Anonymousreply 4204/05/2010

Rock Hudson laying down the law to Liz Taylor. Makes me giggle...

by Anonymousreply 4304/05/2010

No mention yet of the hideous Streaks 'n' Tips used to age Rock, Liz and Jimmy's hair? Like right out of a high school play. It literally ruins the movie for me every time. Shocking all the millions (maybe just thousands then) that were spent on the movie with so little attention to appropriate makeup and hair!

by Anonymousreply 4404/05/2010

R43

Why?

by Anonymousreply 4504/05/2010

I love this movie for Mercedes' truly bizarre performance

by Anonymousreply 4604/05/2010

I HATED that bitch, R46. She got what she deserved!

by Anonymousreply 4704/05/2010

Every time I see this movie, I want to ravage a liquor sore and take Mercedes under my wing.

Should it be seen? ABSOLUTELY! Should it be taken as a "modern" take on sexual situations during that era? Certainly not. But should you see it? YES!

by Anonymousreply 4804/05/2010

A total hetero epic, in spades! How they must have laughed about the whole thing after the day's shooting had wrapped up and they were getting sloshed at the local dive!

Ah, there is so much we can never know about the past!

by Anonymousreply 4904/05/2010

"You shoulda shot that fella a long time ago! Now he's too rich to kill!"

America in two sentences...

by Anonymousreply 5004/05/2010

Dennis Hopper just prances off the screen, doesn't he?

by Anonymousreply 5104/05/2010

Speaking of racism, how stupid are these people? Half the English-speaking characters are shown speaking at least a pigeon Spanish, and they don't know how to pronounce the name Luz?

For those of you not acquainted, it should be pronounced "loose." And it means "light."

by Anonymousreply 5204/05/2010

I love how they're sitting in their (separate) beds with an electric coffee pot and cream and sugar bowls on the nightstand between them.

by Anonymousreply 5304/05/2010

Nowadays, when we Americans tremble in fear whenever the sheik scrowls, we forget that in the 1950s, America in general (and Texas in particular) produced most of America's oil. We didn't start to become really dependent on Arab oil until the 1960s. And so, as was the case with so many films from this era, GIANT was documenting a way of life that would shortly be gone with the wind...

But then movies, unless they are explicitly sci-fi in nature, never tell us where we are heading, huh? And maybe that's why we like them so much...

by Anonymousreply 5404/05/2010

God, looking at Dennis Hopper in GIANT (1956) and then looking at him the other day when he was at the dedication of his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (2010)! The before and after pictures are a Buddhist sermon on the transience of all things!

by Anonymousreply 5504/05/2010

How many gay/bi men are in this movie? Rock Hudson James Dean Earl Holliman Sal Mineo

by Anonymousreply 5604/05/2010

In the confrontation at the end between Dean and Hudson in the wine cellar, what's up with the screeching cat that runs across the bottom of the screen?

by Anonymousreply 5704/05/2010

[quote]Speaking of racism, how stupid are these people?

Anglo Texans are known for pronouncing Spanish words in their own uniquely incorrect way.

by Anonymousreply 5804/05/2010

Dean probably decided to off himself when he looked at the rushes of his performance as an old man...

by Anonymousreply 5904/05/2010

This fight in the diner with "The Yellow Rose" playing is flawless, I'll say that.

by Anonymousreply 6004/05/2010

Well, that's one that can go back in the crypt for another thirty years...

They don't make 'em like they used to, and I am not sure that I'm making a compliment here...

by Anonymousreply 6104/05/2010

It's still running on the west coast, and I have a question... what happend to Rock and Liz's third kid?

I went out to the kitchen and lost the thread. Early in the film there were three little rugrats, and now there's just Hopper and Baker.

And how did Liz and Rock have two blond children, anyway? They both have very dark hair.

by Anonymousreply 6204/05/2010

Wasn't it originally black and white? The colors seem so off on my TV and I hope it's not the TV!

by Anonymousreply 6304/05/2010

The final scene of Rock's crotch must have looked glorious on the large screen.

by Anonymousreply 6404/05/2010

Supposedly, this was Rock Hudson's favorite film of himself...

by Anonymousreply 6504/05/2010

R62, she married the rancher-to-be and turned down her dad's offer of Reata, saying she and her husband wanted just a small place of their own.

by Anonymousreply 6604/05/2010

I prefer George Stevens' early movies (Alice Adams, Swing Time, Gunga Din, The Talk of the Town, Woman of the Year, The More the Merrier) to his films of the fifties, for which he's now best known (A Place in the Sun, Shane, Giant). He had a skill for entertaining. But like other talented directors (David Lean, William Wyler), he became more and more interested in the formal aspects of filmmaking, and his movies got longer and more stilted. Changed by the war, he set out to make classics. Still, all his films before The Diary of Anne Frank have their moments.

by Anonymousreply 6704/05/2010

The scene where the train pulls away and the flag draped casket is on the freight wagon is incredible. I saw this at the theater when I was akid and I always watch it when it's on TV. Love it.

There was an antique auto museum near where I lived. My Dad would take me and several of the cars from the movie were on display. I especially remember the big Duesenberg touring car. That's the one with Dean stretched out in the back.

by Anonymousreply 6804/05/2010

R. 58. You are so Austin!

We also have San Felipe ("San Pillip-y") in Houston.

by Anonymousreply 6904/05/2010

Great music score by Tiomkin. I remember seeing this movie with my mom the same summer we drove to St. Louis to see CLEOPATRA in it's exclusive reserved seat run at the Ambassador Theatre. I think Warners wanted to cash in on the Cleo notoriety and that was the main reason they reissued GIANT. Watching and aging Elizabeth in GIANT and then seeing her in all her 60's cleo make up in wide screen Todd-AO was quite something for this gay boy in training.

by Anonymousreply 7004/06/2010

My favorite scene-- the sister's wedding and Leslie feels or senses that her estranged husband is there, standing behind her in the dining room. The look on her face after she turns around is priceless. Cue the music and this little gay boy was in tears. Later, I read that both Hudson and Taylor were very hung over from the night before when they shot that scene.

by Anonymousreply 7104/06/2010

r67 are you implying that The Diary of Anne Frank has no moments?

by Anonymousreply 7204/06/2010

My two favorite things - Dean's drunken last scene and Jane Withers' performance - her transformation from shy heiferette to big brassy mama is wonderful (should have gotten the Oscar nom instead of Mercedes McCambridge).

by Anonymousreply 7304/06/2010

Agreed, R67. I'll take ALICE ADAMS any day. The only post war film of his I like rather than tolerate, is A PLACE IN THE SUN.

by Anonymousreply 7404/06/2010

"No mention yet of the hideous Streaks 'n' Tips used to age Rock, Liz and Jimmy's hair? Like right out of a high school play."

In the DVD commentary, George Stevens Jr. says that it's hard to dye jet black hair grey which is why Liz and Rock's hair looked blue-ish. He also said that his dad considered casting the movie with older actors (Liz, Rock, and James were all in their 20s when the movie was filmed in 1955) but decided it would be better to make young actors look old in the later scenes than it would be to make old actors look young in the earlier scenes. Clark Gable was considered for Rock Hudson's role and Alan Ladd was considered for James Dean's role.

by Anonymousreply 7504/06/2010

We're supposed to believe that Rock Hudson shares DNA with Dennis Hopper and Mercedes McCambridge?!

by Anonymousreply 7604/06/2010

Good -- in fact, great -- for the first half. The second is purest melodrama. There is no adequate motivation for the disintegration of the James Dean character except Edna Ferber's inbred social conservatism (the parvenu gets what's coming to him.)

by Anonymousreply 7704/06/2010

The symbolism is heavy handed and overblown. How many shots of the hat on the bed do we need? How much film of the isolated ranch house does the audience require to "get it"? And Dean... lord, I know he's an icon, but he's got the acting range of a high school junior in a Midwestern town. He's better in "Giant" than in "Rebel", I will give him that.

I don't buy the aging on Taylor and Hudson, either. They're supposed to be 50 to 55 years old, but their skin looks pristine while their hair is as gray as 80-year-old grandparents.

The casual use of "wetback" as both racist and cutesy (in the final scene where Hudson says his little grandson looks like a wetback) grates. It's as bad as the use of "peckerwood" in "Cabin in the Cotton" and just as confusing.

by Anonymousreply 7804/06/2010

Hudson calls the kid a wetback but the kid is his grandson, and worth fighting for -- even to lose for.

by Anonymousreply 7904/06/2010

In the book "The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson" Dennis Hopper says that it was James Dean who told him that Rock Hudson was gay.

by Anonymousreply 8004/06/2010

Very much worth watching, beautifully directed and acted. It gets a little slow at times, in the way that most epics which cover huge spans of lifetimes do, but it's a very good movie.

by Anonymousreply 8104/06/2010

It was GLORIOUS, R60!!!

by Anonymousreply 8204/06/2010

I forgot how much I loved the soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 8304/06/2010

[quote]The symbolism is heavy handed and overblown.

Yeah, the white lamb and the black calf standing behind the crib with the two grandchildren was bad enough, but then they actually felt the need to mention it in case we didn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 8404/06/2010

Sorry George Stevens Jr., but if Cecil B DeMille could make us believe Charlton Heston was parting the Red Sea, your dad could have found a better wig, hair and makeup designer to age Rock and Liz.

by Anonymousreply 8504/06/2010

Stevens' Shane played later in the evening and I just finished watching it on DVR. It holds up much better than Giant, though it, too, has the occasional stilted moment. But it also has some dazzlingly photographed and edited sequences and that ending remains iconic.

I was particularly struck by how much the big fight scene at the saloon resembles some the camera set-ups and choreography for the musical numbers, especially "America," in the later West Side Story.

by Anonymousreply 8604/06/2010

[quote]Hudson calls the kid a wetback but the kid is his grandson, and worth fighting for -- even to lose for.

And that's the moral? "Even though he's a wetback, I'll still stand up for him!" Lord have mercy, that's pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 8704/09/2010

R87, it's realistic. People don't just magically stop being racist.

by Anonymousreply 8804/09/2010

I always loved this movie. Several posters got it right. Is one of my favorite films with Jane Withers. She was a child star in the movies and kept going right up thru the SIster Act movies. ALways a great character.

by Anonymousreply 8904/30/2010

It's an utter bore.

by Anonymousreply 9004/30/2010

I love it.

What does Dean say when his well comes in? I'm a riiiich boy?

by Anonymousreply 9104/30/2010

In my top 5: GWTW, Streetcar Named Desire, any color Alfred Hitchock movie can be inserted here, Giant, and Avatar (yes, Avatar).

by Anonymousreply 9204/30/2010

Dean and Taylor are so timelessly iconic together here - and Liz (she was only 24 and already had 2 kids!) never looked more beautiful. Rock is a snooze though, ok the character of Bick is a pain.

and Mercedes as Luz, plus the younger crowd: Sal, Hopper, Carroll Baker etc ... even Rod Taylor !

It would seem several gays in it then, as apart from Rock and Jimmy Dean, also Sal Mineo and Earl Hollimann!

by Anonymousreply 9304/30/2010

last poster again here: its hilarious too their idea of the older Rock and Liz - Liz is the same but with grey hair whereas Rock has filled out. They never imagined it would be Liz who got fat !

by Anonymousreply 9404/30/2010

You can add Luz and Vashti to the gay list ...

by Anonymousreply 9504/30/2010

Texas flag in at least two scenes, has inverted star. How did this happen? Watched the film for the umpteenth time last night. Gets better with age.

by Anonymousreply 9609/08/2013

[quote]I prefer George Stevens' early movies (Alice Adams, Swing Time, Gunga Din, The Talk of the Town, Woman of the Year, The More the Merrier)

"The More The Merrier" is delightful.

by Anonymousreply 9709/08/2013

Thumbs down. A sprawling bore. Not even good costumes or scenery or anything.

by Anonymousreply 9809/08/2013

Finally saw all of this last night, and found the only likable character to be the doctor son. It was mostly grating all around for many reasons.

by Anonymousreply 9909/08/2013

I love it from beginning to end. Dean's best performance. I agree Hudson was never given a better part until "Pillow Talk". But Liz is amazing. She fights against all types of bigotry and holds the movie together as if by sheer force of will. I agree the aging makeup is pathetic . But the fight scene is a masterpiece. As a kid that was my favorite scene. It gets you so pumped up- especially because he loses. And all the supporting actors are great. I always wonder if Hooper was gay? Or at least bi. He is one I lusted after as a boy. Love it. Could watch it everyday. Have it on my IPod .

by Anonymousreply 10009/08/2013

R33.

And even when he wore pink frosted lipstick, day-glo yellow,fingerless gloves and sang about Doris Day women in the 80s thought George Michael was straight.

The point is no matter what decade horned up chicks will usually suffer from these delusions.

by Anonymousreply 10109/08/2013

R33.

And even when he wore frosted pink lipstick, day-glo yello,fingerless gloves and sang lyrics about Doris Day many women in the 80s were convinced George Michael was straight.

The point is, whatever the decade, it's horned up chicks who usually fuel these types of delusions.

by Anonymousreply 10209/08/2013

Why is everyone only talking about Rock and James' sexuality? I was in the movie too!

by Anonymousreply 10309/08/2013

Saw A Place in the Sun today. Hadn't seen it in twenty years, they were sooooooo beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 10409/08/2013

Just watched it on PBS. Liz was magnificent. I agree with whoever said that the first part is better and I think is due to her being a central part of the story. Once the story expands to accommodate all the supporting characters the film loses some of its focus and pace.

by Anonymousreply 10511/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.