Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Damn, when do you know it''s time to put your dog down? I''m struggling.

I have a 14 year old jack russell terrier that I've had since she was 6 weeks old. She's been a great dog in all ways. But...she's 14, which is old for a dog -- a jack russell especially. She's arthritic, but she can still get around okay. Her "sniffer" is just about gone, as is her hearing. She's lost a lot of weight recently, and her favorite thing to do now is sleep. She's also drinking lots and lots of water. I think that's an indication that something else is going on with her internally. Every once in a while, though, her old personality comes out. I've been told that when dogs stop eating, or are off their feet, then it's time to put them down. She hasn't done any of that, though. Still eats like a horse, and can get around. I've also been told that "you'll know when it's time". I'm really struggling with this. Anyone else been in the same situation and have any thoughts?

by OPreply 19004/21/2015

Oh, she's well acquainted with her health care professional "Dr. Sue". She's been on rimadyl and cosequin for years (knee problems). Dr. Sue says that all this medication for so many years has more than likely affected her liver, and that's probably the reason she's drinking so much water. I think the big problem I'm having is making that FINAL decision to put her in the car and take her to be euthanized. I want to be with her (she's always better when her "daddies" are there), but it's going to be so heart-wrenching. I'm a big ol' pussy, I guess.

by OPreply 404/05/2010

It IS incredibly heart-wrenching OP. But ultimately you'll be glad you did it. Here's to hoping it's not immanent.

by OPreply 504/05/2010

Your vet will probably make a house call if you think it's her time. Damn it, I tell myself that the next sick pet thread is the one I'm going to skip, and I never do, and I always end up crying.

by OPreply 704/05/2010

OP, I don't think 14 is that old for a small terrier. Mine is pushing 17. Her sight and hearing aren't great but she still enjoys hour long walks and seems quite happy. I would wait until you see clear signs of suffering - I think dogs have greater capacity to enjoy life despite some infirmity than we do.

by OPreply 1204/05/2010

Op, your vet can do a simple blood test to determine if the rimadyl has effected the liver. My border collie was on rimadyl for the last 5 years of his life (he lived to be 18). He had his blood test every 6 months and the rimadyl didn't hurt his liver. As others have said, I did consult with my vet about quality of life issues. I know that this is one of the most difficult decisions you'll ever make. Just remember that when the time is right this is the best and kindest thing you can do for your dog.

by OPreply 1304/05/2010

Ha, R15! One thing about my dog -- she's been a Democrat since puppyhood. True story: every time they showed Monica's black dress on the tube during all that fracas, she'd get up running towards the tv, barking and snarling. EVERY DAMN TIME.

by OPreply 1604/05/2010

Isn't drinking a lot of water a possible indication something might be wrong with the kidneys, not just the liver?

by OPreply 1704/05/2010

[quote]she's 14, which is old for a dog Bitch, you're not lookin so fresh yourself. Next time you have a cough, shall I smother you?

by OPreply 1804/05/2010

OP, you've received good advice here. If your dog is in pain, then it's time to do what you can to end that.

by OPreply 1904/05/2010

OP: Please do not put her down. Give her time. If she was laying around whimpering in pain - that's one thing... Your dog is not doing that. She's just old.

by OPreply 2004/05/2010

Another with experience (a Yorkie). Vet said nothing could be done, make him comfortable, etc.

I ended up having him die at home next to my bed but I still wonder if I should not have had him euthanized. He didn't seem to be in pain but he had not eaten or drank for about 3 days and was so very weak. I guess I will always second guess my decision.

p.s. to all pet owners who have to have their pet euthanized, PLEASE stay with them during the process (I've done it with other pets and yes, it is incredibly hard). I have heard from more than one vet professional that they DO know when you have left the room and it makes their last moments very tense.

by OPreply 2104/05/2010

Spot on R11! This "the kindest thing you'll ever do" shtick is far too often the rationalised selfishness of those who aren't willing to commitment themselves to giving an aged pet just a little more care. We live in a convenience society, and a vet's euthanasia needle is a most convenient solution. R14's creepy "it creates to give a good home to another animal in need" shows how animals have become disposable commodities.

by OPreply 2204/05/2010

I read nothing in OP's post that indicates he should be thinking of putting the dog down. You have an old dog, OP.

by OPreply 2304/05/2010

I thought small dogs lived to be around 14-15.

Bigger dogs--not so much.

by OPreply 2404/05/2010

Listen to r12. She's an old dog so of course things change. Don't be so quick to kill her. Also - vets very often choose the quickest route - which is killing the dog rather than doing a thorough analysis. You sound like a heartless person and I feel sorry for that dog.

by OPreply 2504/05/2010

Fuck you, R25.

The other thing that concerns me is that she's lost so much weight. I mean you can see her ribcage, can feel the bones in her pelvis when you pick her up, etc. No meat on her bones whatsoever. I'm so afraid that when they give her the shot it's going to hurt her (the first thing they do is give them a shot to relax them, and then they administer the euthanasia). I don't want her to be hurt or in pain at any point in the process.

Fuck you, R25. Just had to reiterate that.

by OPreply 2604/05/2010

Hey OP. It was a year ago today that I had to have my dog put to sleep. She was 14 too and I'd had her since she was just a few weeks old. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. She had arthritis and had gone almost completely deaf. She'd gotten to the point where it was hurting her to get up and down so I knew it was time. Her appetite would come and go and she was having accidents in the house which she'd never done before. I took her to the vet and he agreed that it was time. I waited a few more days and spent a lot of time with her those last days. Took pictures, fed her her favorite treats and food, went driving a lot because she loved it. When the time came, it ripped my heart out but I knew I couldn't let her continue to suffer. My friends tell me I need to get another dog but I haven't yet.

by OPreply 2704/05/2010

Really, just take it to the vet & see. Stop being a drama queen. Might not be anything. You must be a worrier.

by OPreply 2804/05/2010

[quote]Also - vets very often choose the quickest route - which is killing the dog rather than doing a thorough analysis. Nonsense. Vets are far more likely to drag it out; administer lots of treatment, and of course charge you for it. The rest of R25's post is nonsensical as well. If anyone is "heartless," it's R25.

by OPreply 3104/05/2010

OP, take her to the vet for a check up. You may want to get your dog an adult brand food, and possibly some extra vitamins.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I have a 9 year old pug. And lately he's really acting like he's aged. He sleeps all day long. He's arthritic as well, and has some trouble walking after waking up. Gets up just to eat, and plays minimally.

It just reminds me that he's not that young pup he once was. It's sad to see that he is aging.

But when he is awake he is a happy dog, and will sit wagging his tail and is interested in his surroundings.

I just have to make adjustments for him now - I carry him around more due to his walking problems, feed him foods that may help with his joint problems. And when he wants to sleep all day - I make sure he has his comfy doggie bed nearby so he doesn't have to try to jump on a bed (he can't do that anymore as he doesn't have the agility he use to).

He's my baby, so whatever adjustments I have to make for him I will.

It is just sad to see.

by OPreply 3204/05/2010

What exactly is heartless about my post? What is wrong with you people?

by OPreply 3304/05/2010

Um R25 I think it was the part about OP being heartless and you felt sorry for the dog because of it...what's wrong with you? Do you have social issues? You don't talk/type to someone like that who is worried sick over a beloved old dog companion. Get real and get some manners.

by OPreply 3404/05/2010

Forgive me for not trying to justify him killing his dog. I do not believe in harming animals.

by OPreply 3504/05/2010

"Nonsense. Vets are far more likely to drag it out; administer lots of treatment, and of course charge you for it."

No. Vets want to do what is best for the animal, and will always give you their professional opinion, but the decision between treatment and euthanasia is always up to the owner. But the owner needs to focus on the animal as well, and not attempt to either prolong the animal's life for his own comfort, nor euthanize it for his own convenience.

by OPreply 3604/05/2010

I have been through this many times. In fact my Dr. is also Dr. Sue. Quality of life is the determining factor. You know your animal. euthanasia is not an easy choice. I have seen spineless individuals sit by and watch their pets die slowly from natural causes. That is the cruelest of all. Sometimes you have to do the hardest thing in the world and spare your best friend a grueling death.

by OPreply 3704/05/2010

[quote]I'm really struggling with this.

If you're struggling with it, then it's not time to put your dog down, is it?

When it comes time for you to have the dog put down, you'll know it and you won't struggle with it.

by OPreply 3804/05/2010

OP and his enablers on this thread sound like real pieces of work. You stay with your dogs through the thick and the thin and you don't go running for the needle when it becomes too much work for you or you don't want to face aging and what that entails for you and your pet. As another poster said above - you adjust to the new circumstances just as you will need to adjust when you get to be in your 70s and 80s.

Again, I feel sorry for any pet who has crossed your path.

by OPreply 3904/05/2010

When my cat got old, he retreated into the garage to live. I think that's where he was waiting to die. That was about 10 years ago.

Last night, my 10 year old lab wanted to go in the garage and she just laid there in the dark, sleeping. She's back in the house now, and fine (sleeping), but I do think animals know when their time is coming. I would look for those signs of changed behavior.

Until then, it's just quality of life. Your terrier sounds like her quality of life is still pretty good for an old dog.

by OPreply 4004/05/2010

Eh, R25/39 -- shut the fuck up. You're trying to start a flame war with me, and I'm not biting.

To the rest of you, thanks. Some good points made; given me some things to think about.

by OPreply 4104/05/2010

OP, just to reiterate -- you'll know. Your dog will be alive, but suffering, and it will hurt you badly to watch him suffer.

That's how you'll know, and that's how you'll make peace with it.

by OPreply 4204/05/2010

OP sounds like a heartless asshole who doesn't want to watch his dog age and everything that goes along with that process. He hasn't indicated ANYTHING that justifies killing his dog. I'm sick just reading his posts and the idiot enablers who are justifying his rationalizations. I feel sorry for the dog also.

by OPreply 4304/05/2010

The OP isn't a heartless asshole. OP doesn't want to see the dog suffer and is concerned that the dog is suffering right now.

by OPreply 4404/05/2010

by OPreply 4504/05/2010

by OPreply 4704/05/2010

Excessive thirst is also a symptom of diabetes. But if she isn't suffering, why fret. Humans get skinny and sleep more when they get old too. Doesn't mean they're on the threshold yet.

by OPreply 4804/05/2010

I've also thought it could be diabetes. However, she doesn't seem to be in pain. She's just old, arthritic, and having a difficult time getting around. After doing research on canine diabetes and the treatments available, it seems pointless to put an old dog through all of that (hospitalizations, IVs, meds, etc.). I'm going to watch her closely to make sure she isn't suffering. It is true that you can tell by their eyes, right? She gets the most excited when it's time for a treat. As long as her tail wags at treat time (although that's the only time recently), perhaps she's okay.

by OPreply 4904/05/2010

Our cat started losing weight suddenly, and he slept a lot. We took him to the vet who explained he had a tumor and cancer. He was not in apparent pain - but it was only a matter of time...a week, maybe a month.

Our beloved pet left this earth in the arms of those he loved and who loved him. It was a loving, peaceful, and quiet process that helped me make sure my beautiful companion did not suffer.

Many years ago, I had a wonderful dog. I waited too long. The last week of his life was scary and difficult for him, and the night that he went into renal failure was so awful that I will never forgive myself for not doing the right thing much earlier.

Please don't listen to R46.

by OPreply 5004/05/2010

OP is a retard. Take it to the vet, dumbass!

by OPreply 5104/05/2010

I think if she's eating well & getting around ok - let her be.

If she can't move, and just seems depressed rather than lazy it's time.

Please stay with her when it's her time to put her down- I just don't get people who say they can't and leave before the end.

by OPreply 5204/05/2010

OP, I had a golden retriever I loved for a litany of reasons I wont go into here. I was always afraid this moment would come with him. fortunately he just went to sleep one day while I was gone and passed in his sleep. Nonetheless, a person I really respected gave me a suggestion I took, and I want to pass it along.

This person said that while he is healthy, agree to a series of things that he has to be able to do to have a quality life. Set three of them. And when he can no longer do them, it is time.

I set the bar really low. They were:

1. ) He should be able to get up to use the restroom.

2.) He should be able to recognize me by either sight or sound.

3.) He should not be in constant, unrelievable pain.

As long as those conditions had not set in, I was willing to arrange my schedule to take care of him whatever he needed.

After he passed, I had him cremated, and I actually wrote an obituary for him. I made a scrapbook, and took it and the ashes and the obit to a church on a weekday when it was vacant, and I read it and had a little funeral for him.

He was my buddy, and I am glad I had that plan and went through that ritual.

by OPreply 5304/05/2010

Nice post r53. You sound like you really care about your pet, unlike the OP.

by OPreply 5404/05/2010

If your dog can eat and move, it's not time yet.

by OPreply 5504/05/2010

You'll know. Your vet will make it clear it's almost time (that's what they did with me when my cat was in renal failure: "it'll be soon, but it's not yet"), and then one day you won't question anymore, you will know.

I was very lucky in that my cat died in my arms, in the vets office, while we were waiting for the doctor to come in and put her down.

In my case, it became very clear that she was about to die. She'd been going downhill for ages, but had a sudden spurt of energy, maybe 48 hours where she was running around like a kitten again. And then she stopped, and couldn't stand up, couldn't eat/drink, and could barely open her eyes. When I called the vet that night telling them what was going on, they said "yes, it's time, bring her in tomorrow morning and we'll do it." They won't hesitate once it's the right thing to do.

You're right to think about it now, and definitely talk to your vet. But if you're questioning, it's not time.

by OPreply 5604/05/2010

Ask the damn vet. Seriously. They know more about how dogs handle illnesses than you do. Get the dog tested, because this may be something easy to treat.

Instead of flaming each other, get the dog to the motherfucking vet.

by OPreply 5704/05/2010

To me it seems analagous to a person. I am very arthritic and in pain and it's hard for me to get around - but I certainly do NOT want to be 'put down' or die!

I still enjoy life very much.

So perhaps if a dog is still enjoying life, leave him alone.

by OPreply 5804/05/2010

R45: Not "enough" because you say so. It amazes me how people start this enough crap when they don't like responses.

R44: His dog is NOT suffering. OP is suffering taking care of an aging pet.

by OPreply 5904/05/2010

As far as old age health failures go, animals don't throw pity parties for themselves, they just deal with whatever life throws at them and keep going.

When animals are ready to go, they really do "curl up and die".

by OPreply 6004/05/2010

Dyslexic or just stupid?

by OPreply 6104/05/2010

OP, I truly feel for you. I'm going through the same thing with my elderly pug.

First of all, pay no attention to the negative posters. You don't need that.

Thirdly, it sounds like your Jack Russell is doing pretty well, considering his age. I've been concerned about my pug being in pain. But the vet said his heart was good, his vitals and organ function were good. My Caesar doesn't seem to be in pain. Yet. But if he starts not drinking water or eating, I'll have to step in.

Right now, he is blind as a bat. But he eats well, and drinks water. Not excessively. If your Jack Russell drinks excessively, it sounds like diabetes.

My pug has trouble walking in the morning, but now that the snow is gone he spends more time in the backyard. I monitor how he's doing by his tail. He's so happy to be outside and smell the smells. His tail is up most of the time, but when it flags I get him and bring him back to his bed.

You just have to be vigilant as to how your dog is doing. I think a dog not eating or drinking is the signal that you have to step in. Thank god we're not at that point yet, but it could come at any time. I really dread that moment.

by OPreply 6204/05/2010

I thought our dog, who's twenty-one, bought it a few months ago when he collapsed on the floor, piss and shit streaming out of him and his eyes spinning around. I called the vet, who said to keep him warm and see how he was in the morning! And the dog was weak but fine. We have to carry him up and down the stairs now but he still walks and eats and wags his tail when he recognizes another dog he likes. But I know his time is coming soon.

by OPreply 6304/05/2010

r9, perfect response. It spoke exactly to what I went through with my cat and kidney disease. I had no regrets, it was just the right time.

by OPreply 6404/05/2010

R62, I posted upthread about my 9 year old pug and he's the same. He has trouble walking after waking up. I just carry him around a lot more (I'm glad he isn't too huge, so it's easy for me to do) and he does have a little doggie stroller that I got him a few months ago. We live in NYC, so it only takes a few blocks before he tires out. If he's in the stroller he can be out for much longer.

As cheesy as it sounds - one thing that helps (or perhaps my pug just has me wrapped around his paw) is he loves doggie back massages. I think it helps with his arthritis. Right by the neck and shoulder blade area. I'm not sure. But he gets really relaxed and is happy to get a massage once a day. So as long as he's happy and comfortable it's all good.

by OPreply 6504/05/2010

I put my dog down late last year. One of the worse moments of my life. Had him for over 15 years and I didn't want to let him go but he no longer walked and was in pain when eating.

I knew it was time but was in denial. The vet was the one who said it was time. It still hard (I'm tearing up already...) but once the vet tells you - do it.

by OPreply 6604/05/2010

Completely agree with r25/39/43. While I don't agree that you are heartless - you obviously love your dog - you are wildly overreacting to what we simply call "getting old". Nothing you have described would signal to me that she needs to be put down or even heavily examined. Dogs age and you learn to adjust and help them in their old age. Would you murder your grandmother because she couldn't get around like she used to,etc.? No, I don't think you would. If you have tired of her and you feel that she has served her purpose then find a family that will love her in these last years of her life. Don't murder her.

by OPreply 6704/05/2010

Wow, r63. You are a true lover of dogs and I salute you!

by OPreply 6804/05/2010

I only haad my dog put to sleep (she was over 18 years old, a West Highland White Terrier) when my vet said 'If this was my dog ....'.

He'd been her vet for a long, long time, so I knew I could trust him.

by OPreply 6904/05/2010

OP = Eichmann

by OPreply 7004/05/2010

My bf has a 14 year old Jack Russell and his (the dog's) vet is ALSO Dr. Sue!

You guys aren't in Holland, MI, are you?

by OPreply 7104/05/2010

OP sounds more disturbed by the 'inconvenience' of an older dog than by the dog's actual condition. He should be ashamed of himself.

by OPreply 7204/05/2010

OP, I agree about the pain issue. If your dog is feeling pain and it can't be controlled, it's time.

Also, you stated you've had this pet from a very young age.

Your dog will let you know when it's time.

It might sound stupid, but he will.

I had my dog 14 years and the decision to put him down was easier when I realized he wanted not to live anymore. It was the way he acted when I petted him that told me it was time to go.

It's a hard decision and it will affect you. But sometimes the caring of pet includes loving the animal enough to let him go.

by OPreply 7304/05/2010

WTF is wrong with you people? They are/act sick, you take them to the vet, renal failure most likely and you put them down PER THE VET'S ADVICE.

I really hope you don't go, "Teddy looks tired. I shall kill him."

by OPreply 7404/05/2010

You are correct.

Go to hell. Sooner rather than later. You make me sick.

by OPreply 7504/05/2010

OP, are you talking about Dr Sue in Indy?

I adopt senior pets that others get rid of. Your dog more than likely has diabetes or renal kidney failure.

Get the tests and find out. It may not be time to put them down and they can have a few more years of quality life.

2 yrs ago I lost my poodle who was 20 and my dachshund that was 18.

Diets need to be adjusted and they may need meds but older pets do quite well if their needs are met. Give me an old dog any day.

by OPreply 7604/05/2010

Listen to the posters saying to watch your dog's behavior for any unusual changes. Dogs know when it's their time, and it is different from an aging dog's behavior.

About a month before I had to put my aging, elderly 15yr old golden retriever down, he started to climb into bed to sleep with me. He never did that before b/c he wasn't allowed on the 2nd floor of the house. Not realizing it at the time, he did it b/c he knew he didn't have much time left and wanted to die by my side.

Over the next few weeks he became very unsteady on his feet, was no longer able to "hold it" until I let him outside, and although he wanted to be by my side 24/7, he did not want me to touch him.

I took him to his lifelong vet, who told me it was time.

Then I took him home and made the decision with my grandmother. He was as much her dog as he was mine. She had always lived with us, and had taken care of him from the beginning, while I was at school, etc. He was her companion while everyone was away during the day.

Over the next few days, we spent as much time with him as possible. It became clear it was the right decision as he deteriorated and was no longer able to stand for more than a few seconds at a time.

My grandmother was a strong, old woman who lived to be 86 years old. She saw many of her friends and relatives die, including a son.

The only time I ever saw her cry was the day I left the house with our dog, for the last time.

OP, when it's time, you'll know.

by OPreply 7704/05/2010

"Not realizing it at the time, he did it b/c he knew he didn't have much time left and wanted to die by my side."

I've got some Precious Moments figurines I'd like to sell you.

by OPreply 7804/05/2010

You put them down when you know that sparing them a life of pain is the merciful and dignified thing to do for someone you love. If you're questioning, you have got to take her to the vet and find out what is wrong. It is compassion, not cruelty, to spare them the indignity of existing just because it will cause YOU pain.

I put down two cats last year, one of them my own, he was dying of leukemia, and another was a stray that was just in horrible condition - one eye put out, his rectum completely prolapsed. I figured he'd been abused, badly. The vet said his injuries were probably due to losing a fight (the eye) intestinal problems due to a parasite (the prolapse), and he had lost all the hair off half his body - vet said maybe a skin disease. I still think he was abused. If not by people, then by life itself.

He came to me almost begging for help - I helped him best I could, I fed him until he trusted me enough to get him in a carrier and take him to be put down. I don't regret that, I regret what he had to live through and how long he had to live that way before he could finally find a peaceful death.

Life is fucking cruel.

by OPreply 7904/05/2010

OP, I can't bring myself to read this thread. If your dog isn't in pain, then I would wait until it can't eat or walk.

I brought my mom's elderly spaniel back with me after Mom died in December. When the dog goes, it's going to be like losing my mom all over again. But, you know what? As soon as I think the dog is suffering I will have her put down.

I'm not going to keep her alive because it makes me feel better.

by OPreply 8004/05/2010

Sounds like thyroid (probably manageable) or kidney disease (likely manageable) to me.

OP maybe you should get some sort of supplement to put some weight back on the dog, after getting a good battery of tests to figure out what's going on.

I agree that you're probably running for the needle without enough information. It may well be time, but what if it's not? Get the dog checked out.

by OPreply 8104/05/2010

"I've got some Precious Moments figurines I'd like to sell you."

I have some razorblades I'd like you to swallow.

by OPreply 8204/05/2010

R73 made the most sense to me and made me tear up and I am one cynical bitch.

The VET is not the one who will let you know. The VET would be 1) be seen as cruel to advise you to let him/her go without extraordinary medical help 2) would lose a fuckload lot of money without providing extraordinary medical help (there's the cynical bitch part) but most of all 3) your VET can't 'read' your pet like you can. They see so many each day. It's not their decision. It's not their responsibility. It's yours.

by OPreply 8304/05/2010

Your labia are flapping, R82.

by OPreply 8404/05/2010

"your VET can't 'read' your pet like you can."

My dog looked at me funny today. Time for the guillotine!

by OPreply 8504/05/2010

No, a vet is stupid. HA! I'll say!

by OPreply 8604/05/2010

Seriously people put too much faith in vets. It's a way of avoiding responsibility. They have not lived with the animal that you love for years and years. They don't communicate with them the way you do they aren't able to establish that rapport in a 10 minute examination. They aren't magicians.

I think sometimes people think of pets as valuable 'objects' rather than beings. If you can communicate with your pet and you love him or her and know him or her then you will know when to let them go.

A lot of people are just weak when it comes to this sort of thing. And that's ok, too. But allowing a pet or any animal in your care to suffer is cruel.

by OPreply 8704/05/2010

well, it's an awful thing to do, and you'll feel terrible. get that out of the way and accept it. but it also has to be done, when it is time. i miss my dog like mad, and it's been 4 years last month since we put him to sleep.

my criteria was that once he started shitting himself/in his bed then i would know he was totally around the bend. he was a clean, fastidious dog. once he lost control over himself i knew. he was almost blind, didn't know us anymore, would howl at "ghosts" he saw, walk into stuff, etc... but the poop in his bed was it.

we carried him down to the vet (two buildings down, and she had told us his time was coming soon)... i held him, he got his 2 shots, and went to sleep. it was terrible, but sort of beautiful too. i loved him very much. i miss him terribly. i did the right thing. you will too.

by OPreply 8804/05/2010

We had a Siberian that was only 5 yrs. old that developed lymphoma. He went from a vibrant, playful dog to a veg in less than two week's time. In the end, we would have to force feed him with a syringue and carry him outside to do his business. This was too cruel a punishment no matter how much we loved him. The vet was totally shocked at his digression and we were very comformed when she told us it was time for him to go. The only thing I can tell you, that last week, even though he breathed, we was no longer with us.

by OPreply 8904/06/2010

The vet can tell you whether or not the condition is curable. Only *you* can tell if the dog's life has deteriorated (pain, inability to eat or move as much, i.e. enjoy much of anything) to the point where death would be the merciful choice.

by OPreply 9004/06/2010

Thanks for all the thoughts on this -- those of you that gave constructive and thoughtful comments. I just went back and re-read my original posting to see if I had given any indication that I was just trying to find an excuse to put her down, and I can't see where I did. Some took it that way, but that wasn't the intention, believe me. I'm going to chalk the vitriol up to the obligatory DL nutjobs.

Anyway, she is definitely not on death's door. Just old and in some pain from arthritis. I really watched her last night, and there's still a spark, i.e. her tail wags like a puppy when I ask her if she wants a "T-R-E-E-T" (we intentionally mis-spell it because if we spelled it correctly, she'd know what we were talking about. Yeah, we're a little nuts.) The most comforting thing I read yesterday is that "you'll know when it's time". It's not time yet.

But when it is, I won't let her suffer and be miserable. I love her too much, and will make the hard decision.

by OPreply 9104/06/2010

Good for you, OP.

by OPreply 9204/06/2010

OP, it does sound cliche, but you WILL know when it is time.

I had a dog that was nearly 16. She was mostly blind, couldn't hear well, and was very arthritic...BUT she knew when you were eating and wanted food. We had a "last supper" together which was a delicious steak, and she just stopped eating. I held her in my arms the next night and we slept cuddled up like that. The next day, I took her to the vet who confirmed her organs were shutting down. I held her as she peacefully closed her eyes for the last time. It was one of the worst times of my life, but I am so happy we had that last meal and wonderful night together. I had her cremated at a mortuary (yes, a human funeral home so I could be sure they were her ashes). They sealed her ashes in a brass urn. I still cry when I think about her... Good luck, OP. Give your pup lots of love and extra T-R-E-E-T-S.

by OPreply 9304/06/2010

OP - I had a beagle whom I had euthanised in 1997. Was 14 years old with mammary tumors. Advice I received from dad was to let my dog just keep going until it no longer felt like eating and was struggling to get out of the house in order to do her business. That something so simple meant that . . . it was time. And my father was correct.

by OPreply 9404/06/2010

My 17 yr old dachshund is getting there OP, recently diagnosed at the beginning stages of kidney disease. The vet said everything else was normal though and she put him on a low protein diet that we hope will give him at least 2 more years, maybe more. BTW, Before anyone claims he has lived too long already; you should know doxies can live a very long time compared to most dogs. Growing up we had a dachshund that lived up to 23 years old. When we put her down it was devastating and it will be devastating when I have to put my baby boy down, but I will do it when I see him suffering. I will not allow him to suffer. You will know when the time comes OP when you look at your dog and know he is becoming miserable, and you will do what must be done even though it will devastate you, you will know you did the right thing for your baby.

by OPreply 9504/06/2010

I just feel the need to close the book on this thread I started. My dog has gone progressivelyl down hill for the last 10 days, and we made the decision this morning to put her down today. She's now just laying in her bed, looking miserable, unable to move because of arthritis, not much interest in anything. When she looked up at me this morning with those sad eyes, I knew she was telling me it was time.

Our appointment is at 4:00 today. It's going to be hard, but it would be even harder to see her have no quality of life anymore. Sincere thanks to all on this thread that had something constructive to say, or said they understood.

Here's to Pickles (raising glass), the best jack russell terrier anyone could have hoped for. She will be missed.

by OPreply 9604/16/2010

oh you poor thing, op.

i have been right where you are now, and it's not easy. but you're doing the right thing and have given her a long, happy life.

hang in there today; being with her will be one of the kindest things you can do AND the hardest.

by OPreply 9704/16/2010

Hugs to OP - so sorry, and definitely just do whatever you have to so you can get through today, you're doing the right thing.

by OPreply 9804/16/2010

So very, very sorry. I can't imagine.

by OPreply 9904/16/2010

Oh man OP, I'm so sorry. We had to put our cat down last summer and it was just awful. We believe he'd had a stroke overnight and we put him down a day and a half later. One thing the vet said continues to give me comfort. He said that the cat was in pain and that putting him down was the right thing to do. It sucked, there's no way around it. I still can't deal with his ashes.

Stay with him when he gets the shot. It's the kind thing to do. He'd do it for you. Hang in there. (hugs)

by OPreply 10004/16/2010

"I'm going to chalk the vitriol up to the obligatory DL nutjobs."

Maybe some of them were just calling you on your bullshit, Gwyneth?

by OPreply 10104/16/2010

I'm so sorry, OP. I was hoping you would have more time with him.

Thanks for letting us know.

by OPreply 10204/16/2010

Sending you love, Op. R53, you sound like an amazing person.

by OPreply 10304/16/2010

RIP Pickles.

Hugs to you OP.

by OPreply 10404/16/2010

[DISCLAIMER: I’ve always found it therapeutic to write. Yes, this post is going to be the final post about Pickles. For those of you that think “buddy, just get over it”, you need to realize that it’s hard. But, as hard as it’s been, it’s also been full of “A-ha! moments” that are going to be great lessons for me. Now, on to the therapy…]

It didn’t really hit me until I took her collar off in the car before we went into the vet’s office. I mean, I was the one that voiced the opinion to my partner that morning that we needed to do something sooner rather than later, I was the one that called and made the appointment for 4:00pm on Friday, and I was the one that had discussed with the vet 2 months ago about exactly what to expect. However, as I took off her collar for the last time, it hit me: we were going into the office with Pickles, but we weren’t going to leave with her. I took her collar off and left it in the car.

When we went in, Pickles perked right up – but then she always perked up at the vet’s office – and by “perked up”, I mean not in a happy way, either. She hated going to the vet. For good reason, too. When she was a young dog, Pickles had 4 surgeries within 2 years on the knees of her back legs. She started having knee problems early on -- something about the grooves in her knee joints that hold the ligaments in place weren’t deep enough, so the ligaments kept popping out of place. It took 4 surgeries to get it right, and Pickles was forever unhappy about going to the vet. I think the smell of alcohol and other dogs left a lasting impression on her.

So there we were with Pickles barking and growling and, to be honest, showing more energy than she had in past month. The girls at the front desk quickly ushered us back to a room. My partner asked if I wanted to hold her, and I said yes. After a minute or so, the vet and a vet tech came in, and they were so compassionate and caring. They loved on Pickles a little bit, talking very soothingly to her, while tears were streaming down our faces. He then said that the first shot was a sedative to relax her. They’d then leave and come back in about five minutes to administer the final shot that would stop her heart.

As I was holding the baby girl, she was given the first shot in her hip. She didn’t flinch or act like it hurt her. I was afraid that it would, because Pickles has been steadily losing weight in the last months, and there wasn’t much meat on her bones. We had a fear that any kind of shot would cause her pain, and that would have killed us. I’m so thankful that it didn’t.

Vet and vet tech left the exam room. Pickles continued to do her “growl and bark” thing for about a minute more, and then I started to feel her relax and go limp in my arms. When her little head finally went down, I completely fell apart. I couldn’t talk because of the deep racking sobs that were rolling throughout my whole body, and I definitely went into the “ugly cry”. My partner asked me if I wanted him to hold her, and I wordlessly handed her over to him. To be honest, I was afraid that I was going to drop her.

My partner told me afterwards that, at that point, he was as concerned for me as he was for Pickles. We are opposites in a lot ways besides our height. ;) For example, he’ll get emotional and teary watching “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition”, and I’m the one that can get through an entire episode with dry eyes. As far as Pickles went, I’d say that I was more the disciplinarian (never gave her food off the table, etc.), while he always snuck her bits under the table. LOL I’m the strong one, he’s the more emotional one. Neither is bad, just different.

by OPreply 10504/20/2010

After a few minutes, they came back in the exam room with the final syringe. Pickles was laid on the exam table on a towel, with me at her head and partner at her feet. Constantly petting her, the shot was administered in her forearm. I was surprised at how quick and peaceful it was. Within 10 seconds, the vet put his stethoscope to her chest and told us “she’s gone”. To be honest, she was gone for me the minute she went limp in my arms, and there was no discernable change from that state to the final state.

The only regret I have is that I was so broken up that I couldn’t say a word, and neither could my partner. We were constantly petting her, both of us had a hand on her, but as far as being able to say anything during her final moments, it just wasn’t happening. I think she knew that her “daddies” were there, though; at least, I hope so.

We decided beforehand that we weren’t going to ask for the body back, or even for her ashes back in an urn. Everyone’s different, of course, but we thought that while we would want her ashes back NOW, would we really want to contend with her ashes 10 years from now? We could have scattered her ourselves, but if you know anything about us, you’d know that once something sentimental comes into the house, it doesn’t leave.

The vet asked us if we wanted them to do an impression of her paw print in a plaster mold with her name on it before they sent her remains to the pet cemetery for cremation and scatter. We wordlessly nodded “yes”, and then partner told me to go get in the car, that he would take care of the bill. I did as I was told, and didn’t care that all the people in the waiting room saw me walk through as an emotional wreck.

Partner followed not 10 seconds later, saying that when he approached the desk, the girls waved him off and said “Don’t worry about it; we’ll take care of this later.” I thought that was fantastic on their part.

He got in the car – he had to drive, I couldn’t. After assuring each other that we had done the best thing, I looked down in the dash are between the seats. There was Pickles’ collar. Through all the grief and crying episodes and yes, laughter at the memories, of this past weekend, I’ve realized a few things.

1. Your animals are your children. I think that’s true for everyone, but it might be heightened for those of us that don’t have “human” children. My partner and I started our relationship in June 1996, and we got Pickles in November of 1996. We got her when she was 6 weeks old (you’ve seen the pictures I’ve posted here on Facebook). She moved with us to 3 cities. She’s been a constant in our lives through all the moves, the career changes, the good times, the bad times, etc. It’s always been the three of us: He, I, and Pickles. And now there are just two.

2. It’s okay to grieve. I haven’t really cried in about 33 years since the death of my brother. I remember very clearly saying to myself after his funeral “Okay, that’s it, no more”, and that resulted in me being “bottled up” for all that time. Oh, sure – I’d tear up at some sad movie, etc., but as far as the really down-deep feeling of sad emotions, I had this huge wall up (“nope, not me…I can’t go there…I won’t survive it…..I’ll just push it all down and forget about it”….) Well, suffice it to say that the dam was breached by this experience. And you know what? While it was terrible and painful, it also felt good, which surprised me. I’d be out on the patio blubbering and partner would come out and say “are you okay?” My response would be “Yeah, I really am. I just have to feel all this and get through it. It’s okay.” Whoever said “real men don’t cry” was sadly mistaken.

3. And finally, I have a new compassion for my parents. DON’T GET ME WRONG: I’m definitely not comparing the loss of a pet to the loss of a child. It’s completely different, and I know that. However, if what I felt was 1/1000 of what my folks felt when my brother died, I don’t know how they got through it. It’s really a testament to their strength.

by OPreply 10604/20/2010

So here’s to Pickles. She was a good dog and will be missed for a long time. We’ll have other dogs, sure, but Pickles will always be our first and therefore the most special. We loved her.

by OPreply 10704/20/2010

OP...So sorry. Thanks for taking us through this journey. I hate those final drives to the vet. Adopt a new pup. So many need homes.

by OPreply 10804/20/2010

That was really touching OP, you made me cry at my desk. I know Pickles loved her two daddies very much. Can you post a picture of Pickles please?

by OPreply 10904/20/2010

Sorry about Pickles. Just to tie off another sad story, our 21-year -old died today. He had another seizure and became unresponsive but still breathing. We took him to the vet, who said he was brain-dead, so there really wasn't a decision to be made. We stayed with him for the needle. I'm kind of in shock now I think, but he had a good long life and lots of love.

by OPreply 11004/23/2010

OP ~

My sincere condolences on the death of Pickles.

Your post about her final moments was touching; I hope that it gave you some comfort to be able to "talk" about it with us....

considering how nasty some of us were in response to your original post -

myself included.

Please accept my apologies as well.

by OPreply 11104/24/2010

R63 -- I know what it's like. Hugs to you. Wow, 21! That's a good long life.

R30 -- Thanks for the nice post, for the condolences, and for the apology. Of course it's accepted. :)

by OPreply 11204/26/2010

OP - any chance we can see a pic of Pickles? Thanks for sharing your story.

I had a toy fox terrier who lived to be 18 and he was a cute little guy, cranky but what a personality.

by OPreply 11304/26/2010

Sorry, I can't -- I'm not that technically advanced on all things DL to do it. Don't you have to set up an account on flickr or something, and then upload, and then do a link or something? I can only handle so much here at work. :)

She was black and white, and when she was younger had brown markings on her snout, around her eyes, and also had brown "eyebrow" markings. As she aged, all that brown went to white.

by OPreply 11404/26/2010

OP, I'm so sorry that Pickles is no longer with us. You and your partner were great daddies to her.

by OPreply 11504/26/2010

I'm so sorry, OP. It's incredibly hard, even when it's for the best.

by OPreply 11604/26/2010

My Belle girl ...... just put her down today.

I am numb. Her liver was failing was the diagnosis. She is 12.

I didn't realize when I took her to the emergency clinic, she wouldn't be coming home with me.

I am heartbroken and numb.

I can't believe I wont see her again.

by OPreply 11705/10/2010

My parents had to euthanize our dog when I was six. They only told me that they were taking "Tiger" to the dog hospital for a few days. Later that week after dinner I asked when he was coming home. My mom and dad just said,"He's not", and kept eating their dinner like nothing had happened. Fuckers.

by OPreply 11805/10/2010

Hugs to you, R117.

by OPreply 11905/10/2010

Saying good bye is always hard. My sympathy goes out to all of you who had to make that final decision.

by OPreply 12005/10/2010

Here's to Pickles (I am toasting her memory and op with coffee as I type.)

Very sad, OP. And sweet. I am dealing with making the final decision with my 14 year old pup. So, your posts hit very close to home. Thank you.

Now, grieve and then go adopt some poor pup sitting in a shelter.

by OPreply 12105/10/2010

Thanks r119. It will be 24 hours at 7:00 tonight.

I can't believe she is gone.

by OPreply 12205/10/2010

So sorry, R117. OP, how are you doing?

Damn it, I read this thread at work and then of course they're shooting something in my office and I've obviously just been crying and now I'm in someone's B roll. :(

by OPreply 12305/10/2010

My condolences to all who have lost their pets. It's been almost 18 months for me, and I still grieve. I did get a new dog a few months ago, and he's wonderful, and I love him dearly, but he's in no way a replacement - I still miss my old pup.

I've always said if heaven doesn't take dogs, I have no interest in going. So wherever I go in my next life will have my late dogs waiting for me.

by OPreply 12405/10/2010

Any of the pet people around? My good friend is struggling terribly with a very sick cat. Has had diabetes and needed insulin and other treatments for a couple of years now, and this past week, tragically, had a horrifying reaction to a general anesthetic administered for some dental work. Now he can't feed himself, walk, or even turn himself over. My friend is a wreck and I don't know what to tell her. It's time, right?

by OPreply 12505/19/2010

yes, that definitely sounds like it's time.

by OPreply 12605/19/2010

125, sounds like it's time to me, too. As hard as it is, I'd feel worse watching my pet in that state than keeping her alive because I couldn't handle the pain. It's part of the human condition to avoid pain at all costs, I know -- but sometimes you have to. And you know what? You get through it. If we can get through putting Pickles down, anyone can.

No dog yet for us, but a friend of ours has moved in for 3 weeks while she searches for a place (she's starting a new job in town). She has....a DOG! A chinese crested named "Harry". He's a weird looking little fucker, but sweet as he can be. He's taken a shine to me, and likes to sit in my lap. :)

by OPreply 12705/19/2010

I find myself in the same place today. I have a 14 year old jack Russell who the vet says may have lyphoma. He how on Prenisone 5mg twice a day. This has helped his coughing a lot. He sleeps a lot as well. Then other times he seems ok. He'll go outside ,go for a walk. He even went swimming yesterday! The at night when I listen to his breathing,it's fast and he pants a lot. A friend told me dogs do this when their in pain. I'm dying inside not knowing if it's time to put him down. I worst fear is that he is suffering! I don't know if I will know when the time has come!

by OPreply 12805/07/2012

I'm right there with you. Trying to decide when to put our 14 yrs old Jack Russell down. My heart goes out to all the brave souls that want to do the most loving thing for their best friends. People tell me I'll know when it's time. But I don't!

by OPreply 12905/07/2012

I come from a large ranch in So. Texas. We had so many dogs, all sorts of breeds, some of the Shepherds we had will always live in my heart, somewhere. However It has been one week since I put down my companion of 13 years, my Greatest of Danes Akasha. So few dogs truly have near genius intellect, She wouldn't let me leave the house without a defiant F*** You bark. As far as she was concerned, if i was suiting to go to mars, she expected there to be a perfectly shaped Great Dane shaped Dog suit. I'm not saying even the average dog isn't incredibly resourceful & smart. But once & again a dog comes into your life & you come to realize that, the Noble creature is so much a companion that needs to attend to your needs. She was nothing short of the finest of Canine Ambassadors to the Human Race. It was my honor to make the last year of her life, unforgettable on her good days & cared for her every need on the bad. She never slept on the ground in her life, even when we backpacked,because of this she had no callouses, anywhere. I took good care of her & she took amazing care of me & several of the people so close to me, like a Mother. I know that Akasha would want me to set her ashes on the mantle & find myself a new best friend. Creatures comprised of such intense love & foresight can never die, she was in her life an old soul.

Please to all those who have lost noble creatures that have changed you, my heart goes out to you. Dogs don't have to wait in line at Heaven.

Quote from an old Preacher I met in Tennessee- A man has his Dog, His Truck, & his Wife, & in that Order! :P

by OPreply 13009/12/2012

We have a Jack Russell Eddie he will be 15 years old on the 8th nov over the last year he as not been well. He as had lots of meds of the vet but still going down hill all the family think its about time for him to go now it so sad. We dont want to lose him but its not fair to him so we went to the vet last week even the vet said it time . On friday the 19th Eddie will be going to sleep for the last time at 5pm all the family will be there to say good by we will miss him so much as we have had him since he was 8 weeks old . And we love him so much . Hope this helps you x

by OPreply 13110/15/2012

I am going thru this at this very moment! I have a 15 yr.old Lab/Shepard mix. She has very bad arthritis in her back legs.. lost alot of weight over a period of about 2 yrs. Eats her whole bowl of food daily..poops and pees just fine. She is getting old. There have been a few times that we thought it was time...we got her a St. Francis (St.Francis takes care of animals) charm and put it in her collar with her other tags and she instantly seemed day she had a very hard time getting up..could not go out with out total help in walking (holding her hind legs up)..would not eat anything..we found her St. Francis charm wasn't this may sound crazy but we ran out and got her another one..she started eating and walking better. She still has her bad days..but she still has her heart. I know she will let us know when its time to say goodbye! Just love them and be there for them. Try a St. Francis medal it can't hurt! Prayers for your furry one!

by OPreply 13210/15/2012

What r9 said

by OPreply 13310/15/2012

R132, you're new here, aren't you?

by OPreply 13410/15/2012

I cannot believe this thread was resurrected after 2 years. Someone should euthanize it.

by OPreply 13510/15/2012

If the dog is in physical or psychological distress, and won't get better, it's time.

The possibility of psychological distress might seem like nonsense, but I have had dogs which were anguished over their loss of control of their bodily functions. They didn't seem to be in pain, but were horrified by their incontinence. I wasn't too happy about it either, of course, but wouldn't have killed them because of it.

by OPreply 13610/15/2012

My dachshund is 18 and still wants to live. He has some issues with sight and hearing and now possible diabetes but he will have to die in my arms as my 13 year old Yorkie did, peacefully and on his terms. I still miss him so!

by OPreply 13710/21/2012

Get her a few shots of steroids, so she can feel 'young again'.. do this when she's at death's door. Let her run around for a while.. a few months? Then do the noble thing and end her misery. Let her end on a high note! A "parting gift".

by OPreply 13810/21/2012

My dog had these symptoms at age 13. It turned out she had diabetes. She has it regulated now with insulin shots and diet. She has had a great six months since then and is doing well.

When they are not enjoying their day, or they are in pain that won't let up, or they are scared, you will know that it is time.

by OPreply 13910/25/2012

The most important question is whether your pet is in pain.

That's the litmus test.

by OPreply 14010/25/2012

You guys do realize the OP of this thread euthanized his dog over 2 years ago, right?

by OPreply 14110/25/2012

i have a staff hes8 years old he was a rescue dog that was made to fight we have had him for 5 years now an hes started to lose his hearing how can i help him

by OPreply 14211/05/2012

This is an old thread. But here is an update on my baby, that I posted about over 2 years ago.

My sweet pug, who is now 12, is being put down this week. He's been very sick over the past 4 weeks and has been in and out of the hospital on oxygen. He has a collapsing trachea and inflammatory airway. I've had him seen by as many specialists as recommended - internal medicine, cardiology and ENT. But despite my efforts there is nothing that can be done. He has been on high doses of prednizone over the past week and has made only little improvement.

Then tonight he had a seizure. I didn't know what was happening at the time - but I knew it was a stroke or seizure. And it lasted long - about 2 minutes - that's long when you're watching it. The whole time I was crying (whaling is more like it) thinking he was dying before my eyes.

He gradually "came too" and acted like he was disoriented. But shortly after he seemed "normal" (well normal for being as sick as he is).

I can see it in his eyes, that are glazed over - that it is time. I don't want him to "go out" in pain, like I thought he was going when he was having the seizure. I want it to be peaceful for him.

It's going to be done at the house, with me holding him and scratching his belly like he likes. He always falls asleep this way.

I'm taking the next few days to spend a lot of time with him.

He's been the best dog to me, this is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

by OPreply 14311/06/2012

i put my beloved beagle down today, Buddy at 13.5 he was great and loved him so much. for past year, different issues, really less active, deaf, drank tons of water, peed lots but wasn't in pain and seemed ok was loving and vet said healthy. he had stopped eating three weeks ago, we struggled wanted to just keep him home , love him etc but when symptoms of vomiting and shuttering when he breathed came, we knew it was time, for me i just knew, i woke up petted him and said its time, spent the day hugging him talking to him and saying goodbye. took him in later, it was sad but glad to be with him, they made me his paw prints in clay to take home. i am so so sad and miss him so much, but i knew in that moment it was time. You will to

by OPreply 14411/21/2012

when her back legs dont work and she shits the floor

by OPreply 14511/21/2012

R143 Your message pulled at my heart and I cried for your loss :( I feel real bad for everyones loss. . Our dogs are our Family,when they hurt or in pain, so are we! Ist time on this website because im contiplating putting my golden down, i check on her a few times a day and sometimes I think she might have passed. She hasnt eaten for a few days and minimal amounts of water. Ive had her since 1998.

by OPreply 14711/22/2012

I am so, so sorry for your losses, R143 and R144. My dogs are still young (2 and 4) and the thought of having to make the decision to put them to sleep at some point in the future never fails to choke me up. Hugs to you both.

by OPreply 14811/22/2012

Just because she is old doesn't mean its her time! I had a rotwiler brownie he was my best friend! When he was 9 he got cancer (bone) ! When the vet came back in the room and said he will be dead in 2 to 3 weeks right in front of my 9 year old daughter like it was nothing!! I was angry , No I was PISSED off! No compatition, the man had no heart!! He hurt my daughter so bad I wanted to hurt him! When I got him home he let me know when it was time ! That was 4 months later!! Yes it was hard but I know he was not in pain anymore! That was 11years ago!! And I still cry about it! It still hurts!!!!

by OPreply 14911/26/2012

Dogs can recover from cancer but dementia is a different story. It's hard to say, OP, nobody wants to make that decision but you will be able to tell when the dog has no quality of life whatsoever. Our 16-year old mixed breed was going blind and incontinent but once it became clear that she was senile and had a hard time even recognizing us, we felt it was selfish and wrong to keep her alive when she was being miserable and struggling with everything all the time. The vet agreed with us and, as painful as it was, in retrospect, we made the right decision. The dogs have a way of letting you know when they think it's their time to go.

by OPreply 15011/26/2012

we're struglling with the decision right now as I write this. My dog is so sad looking-always staring at the floor. No energy, no get and go. He looks tired and worn even though he was just diagnosed with lymphoma yesterday. He lost alot of weight in 2 weeks but before last week he was himself. I know it's time because he's looking at me and telling me to let himgo.

by OPreply 15111/28/2012

My doggie is a 13 year old bichon boy an have had him since he was a puppy!! We love him dearly and me and my partner work opposite shifts so not on his own, I am the weaker one and am so worried in losing him, he was the little runt an been a poorly boy but with medication an lots of cuddles he ok and eats an drinks ok just a few old man doggie warts an not as active! We take him for regular check ups an the vet happy with him but me!!! Cry myself silly with that thought of losing him any advice please!!! Nita,Carol an little gilly. Xx

by OPreply 15212/02/2012

[quote] Part of being a pet owner is sticking by them when they are no longer "fun" or "cute". Let her relax and enjoy her doggie dreams. Unless she's in pain let her die of natural causes.

Although the OP has my sympathies, I do feel R11 is very right too - you don't just put a dog down because they're old - you put them down if they're in extreme pain (not the normal pain of aging) and dying.

by OPreply 15312/02/2012

My boxer Daisy had a tumor and when she could no longer keep food down I made the decision.

My cocker Andy had lost his mate unexpectedly, he had never been alone before. He howled the days away. He was blind and became so confused he understood little of what went on around him. He would no longer eat and just paced in circles. That was enough for me to make the decision.

by OPreply 15412/02/2012

Hugs to everyone whose pet has gone to rainbow bridge.

Shedding some tears for you alli.

by OPreply 15512/02/2012

It is the hardest thing I have ever had to do! All in a very short time I had to put my sweet Mady girl down (LAB). Followed by my Beautiful cat. Five weeks later my wonderful small furry pig. They were all close to 14. My heart was broken. Now my Dog is 15 not doing well showing his age can't see can't hear takes two pain pills a day! Believe me you will be ready when your wonderful pet is and it will kill you but it is the right thing to do! God Bless!

by OPreply 15612/05/2012

They say you will know when the time is right. This was never a struggle with other animals who presented obvious discomforts. Our 13 1/2 year old German Shorthair presented a struggle. Mobility was his only issue. I rubbed oils on his legs and added good bone soups and supplements to his diet to keep the inevitable Arthritis from causing distress. I couldn't decide to put him down as the only issues were that he needed help to get up sometimes. I didn't think I would ever know when the time would be right except for our convenience. Billy called out for help at all hours of the night when he needed help to go out, or slid off his bed and couldn't get himself back on. I was amazed that the "time" came so clear. Billy whined his "I'd like some help to go out" whine so I helped him out to the porch until he got his "sea legs" from sleeping all night. He wouldn't hobble down the ramp we'd built for him so I helped him down. He hobbled into the yard a bit and did his business, then turned to me and whined again (he usually comes back to the ramp) I assumed he needed me to assist him back to the porch. He had slipped on the ice during the weekend and sprained his knee once more, so I knew he was needed more help than usual. He continued down the yard instead, as if I was to follow him. This seemed such a different request, so although in my bathrobe, I followed. Billy did the same thing a few more times and I followed until he was at our lower pond. He looked toward the pond as if to say goodbye, then hobbled to the driveway and stood by the car. He only gets in the car if we are going to the vet once a year. I opened the door and he tried to get in and whined for my help. I took this as his way of telling me he'd had enough the time had come. He was tired of falling down and slipping off his bed, spilling his water dish because his old legs gave out. I drove to the vet and we helped him in. He went down the hallway like he knew, instead of panting and sniffing the whole place. They had prepared a blanket on the floor and he lay down on it without a whimper like he was sure. His behavior helped me be sure of what I could not decide before. It is sad for sure, the emptiness of the space in the living room that was his. It's so quiet to come home and not have him whine for something he needed us to do for him. But...the time became clear, just as we had been told. The waiting for that time was anxious for sure and we never quite knew if we were doing the right thing or not, but waiting paid off. He told us when.

by OPreply 15712/05/2012

OP, you immature, tedious, selfish mess,

by OPreply 15812/05/2012

I just had to put my 13 yr old Chihuahua down 3 days ago. I still cannot believe he is gone, miss his presence do much. I am also now so filled wit guilt. Constantly, thinking I should have hugged him more, taken him for more walks etc. I loved him so much and I just took the time I had with him for granted and now he is gone forever.

by OPreply 15912/09/2012

The precious little citizen will go when he or she is ready to go.

If you 'put the dog down' then you are a murderer and will pay for it one day.

by OPreply 16012/09/2012

I have two jack Russells one is gonna be 19 in Feb and the other one is 17 the 17 year old is great the older one is getting a little bit harder to climb the stairs and can't see as well but there like my kids I dont think I'd be able to put them down

by OPreply 16112/19/2012

-.- dont put your dog down let nature take its course. only put it down if it is in extreme pain .

by OPreply 16212/21/2012

When I was seven years old, my grandmother's twelve year-old miniature poodle was given to my family.

Two years later, one evening, while I was eating a meal that included sausages, she jumped on the table, and cleaned off my plate.

The next morning, Mom found her on the terrace, dead, and smiling.

by OPreply 16312/21/2012

My vet advised it. I could hardly bear it and I cried for two weeks. Not continuously. But I was rather shocked at the depth of my emotion. I still get a jag when I think of it.

by OPreply 16512/23/2012

Someone said to me once after I was struggling to end my dogs life , that when a dog can no longer act like a dog , cant run , cant jump , cant go outside for a pee faster enough , ITS TIME , I think it is good advise overall , hard though to do it.

by OPreply 16612/30/2012

When the pup calls the ASPCA on you, that's the time to put her down.

by OPreply 16712/31/2012

sounds like cancer, they drink aot when they have it and they cant eat

by OPreply 16801/02/2013

Give it a kiss then hit it with a hammer. It's the same "just putting to sleep" shit but a lot cheaper. Don't want to do it? Then don't palm off convenience killing on to someone else. Let your dog live and die naturally at her own pace in love and comfort. Dying is rarely easy but that doesn't mean you need to pay a stranger to jab a needle in her paw to hasten it!

by OPreply 16901/02/2013

I am involved in animal rescue, and usually have 10-20 dogs at the house at any given time. 5 are permanent residents, 2 more are in 'hospice care', and we have 8 more now as fosters.

Yes, it is a tough decision to do, and having to euthanize several dogs each year does not make it any easier. 4 of the the permanent/hospice dogs are age 12 or above, so we will likely be needing to do this again in the next year at least once. We've also euthanized foster dogs for extreme aggression and biting behaviors.

Some things to look for: loss of appetite, loss of bowels, looks like they are in pain or discomfort, unable to get up/down a few steps (there are 2 steps from our porch to yard), unable to rise from dog bed). If multiple of these things are happening, the dog's quality of life is being impacted.

Your dog is your buddy, and s/he looks to you for everything. Do what is best for them --- not what is convenient for you.

by OPreply 17001/02/2013

Maybe Billy wanted to go to the vet to be made WELL? Bad move, Billy!!!

by OPreply 17101/02/2013

OP, ask your vet (or read about it online) about giving your dog OTC medications for pain and mobility. I cared for an ancient lab who had to warm up and work up for about 20 minutes each morning to stand up to then pee (arthritis)... but when I tricked her into swallowing Aleve she hopped up within minutes and was good for hours. One Aleve 2x per day. She still had arthritis, but with an inexpensive pain reliever she could not feel the pain.

Hope this helps you and your dog.

by OPreply 17201/02/2013

Just lost a 14 year old jrt but it was cancer and inoperative. What you are describing is taking place in my 12 year old jrt. Got real lethargic so we went to the vet - turns out diabetes which is fairly common in older dogs. Drinking lots of water is a sign. It's fairly easy to manage and they can live a great life if you don't give up. Find out he cause before you act.

by OPreply 17301/03/2013

I do feel for you, i have a blind, deaf, toothless 16 year old yorkie who does exactly the same, he has been like this for about 6 months, i have not the heart to take him to the vet as im afraid that they may advice to put him to sleep, Bruno was my late mums dog and also a rescue boy, he has had 2 strokes and is still going, he is in no pain at all. Sometimes his little eyes light up and the old waggle of his tail comes back but like you say he now loves his bed

by OPreply 17401/15/2013

When I was about 5, my dog was 16 and was in pain...She fell down the stairs a lot due to her leg pains, she whined a lot, and she just liked to lay there doing nothing. Then one day my parents put her down when I was in school and told me they sent her to a farm where she could run around. Years later I found out the truth and was devastated. Now I'm 11, I got a Jack Russel a few weeks ago and reading this makes me cry thinking he's not gonna be here forever. But take your dog to the vet, he might b alrigh

by OPreply 17501/27/2013

my dog just died today, before she died my mom said that she is barking nonstop, maybe tats an indication to my mom that the dog need me.. when i arrived i checked n her and looked at her eyes i wasnt expecting her to die, but then she did in my arms,, my mom said that she is only waiting for me to say goodbye i cant accept it, i was very down right now and misses her a lot because out of all our dogs shes my number 1. and shes only 4 months old.. she died of pneumonia, now my other dog is suffering too, i hope she makes it.. i dont care at what cost i just want them to live because the pain of losing one is more painfull than loosing my savings.. i hope god will still give er another chance in life...

by OPreply 17601/28/2013

An 11 year old Datalounger?

by OPreply 17701/28/2013

I am lost my dog is sick, he is 13 years old has been in good health, his behavior has changed scares me, he won't jump anymore and he once in awhile get nasty wants to bite me, he is loosing his hair. I give him all the Love I can. he has been a friend helped me during the lose of my husband. I am so SAD..

by OPreply 17801/28/2013

Three weeks ago one of our cats quit eating. Two days after that Beau quit drinking. Finally 2 weeks ago today we let her go.

Since then, our other cat's personality is changing. Beau was always the Top Cat, even though our other cat is diabetic and weighs 32 lbs. On Saturday, for the 1st time, he jumped up in my chair and wanted to be petted. He sat there purring and purring.

One of our 2 dogs is Jay, a black lab mix and 16 years old. He sleeps all the time, is hard of hearing, can barely see, and has trouble with his back legs. Some days he can barely stand. My partner is still grieving for Beau, but Jay is going to leave us soon as well. That will leave us with one dog and one cat.

by OPreply 17901/28/2013

God, reading this thread affects me so much it is giving me a headache and making me cry :( At the same time, it renews my faith that there are more people who deeply care for their pets than those who treat them cruelly. Even if we're talking about dying pets, I am comforted to find so much love in this thread.

by OPreply 18001/28/2013

I have a 15 yr old cocker spaniel and im struggling with the decision should I or shouldnt i put her to sleep on friday she is totally blind deaf and often has accidents in the house all she does is sleep quite a bit is she telling me its time or is she telling me that she still has more life left in her ...

by OPreply 18101/29/2013

I just had to put my dog down this morning..still crying and grieving.. She was 15 I inherited her from my ex whom passed away in July. She actually was our dog, but I felt he had more time to devote to them her son also than I did. When Imgot her, her hips were weak legs shakey, had her examined, the Vet just said it was age. Well, last week end she began crying all contourted I had some pain meds just encase and began giving them. It helped durning the day but every morning I would have to carry her outside to relieve herself and loosen her joints up. Each morning I didn't know if she would be alive, and each night after work I didn't know what I would face. I hated seeing her in pain. It broke my heart, but the process of the injection was very peaceful she just went to sleep the vet listened until tHere was no more heart beat. Difficult YES, heart wrenching YES. But she is now in Gods hands, and with her master, no more suffering for her.

by OPreply 18202/02/2013

You will , I had to put my max to sleep , he was 15 , he was old and had a lot wrong with him, you can tell by the eyes !and sleep most of the time , and go of there food ! Very sad owner of max!

by OPreply 18302/11/2013

I can not believe how heartless many of are online! Yes, this dog is old and showing signs of illness. At what point is it ok for someone to put an animal down? When they start showing signs of organ failure or congestive heart failure of after they have completely shut down and died at home. Do you not think this dog is scared and uncomfortable? Watch a person go through this! It is painful and they are terrified. You can not explain to your dog what is happening to them! Because they are not whining or crying in pain does not mean they aren't in pain. People don't think that as animals they don't mask pain well until it is unbearable? Bring her to the vet and see what's going on but don't torture the animal by waiting until their organs are shutting down. They are scared and in pain. Why would you do this to an animal you love?? It is just selfish as you don't want to lose them.

by OPreply 18402/15/2013

R184 and many others are right. It is all about what is best for the animal, and the vets input is very important to what is ultimately your decision. Many years ago, a very wise vet said to me about my much loved elderly dog, " I know that you love her, but do you love her enough to let her go?" I cried for days, but I knew he was right. I hope this helps a little. It sure is a tough time.

by OPreply 18502/15/2013

Are you sure the dog is not diabetic? Drinking lots of water would indicate that!

by OPreply 18611/04/2013

My Jack R. is 16 and has good and bad days. I've had him to vet he says he's not in pain, which makes me feel much better. His eyesight is bad up close, but can spot a cat a half mile away. His hearing is gone which in a way helps him from getting to excited in thunder storms. Its hard to imagine living with out him, he has been so much fun, but I know his days are numbered just like yours and mine. I dread the day I have to say goodby. If you are lucky enough to have a dog for a friend, you have the Best friend you will ever have.--Anoymous

by OPreply 18703/30/2014

R169 calls it. Far too often putting to sleep is just selfish rationalisation for "can't be bothered with the fuss anymore". Most very old animals don't die in pain. They just get sleepier. Knocking them off rather than letting the process happen naturally is vile.

by OPreply 18803/30/2014

I have 4jack. Russell's 1of them is 19 years old,he was a rescue about 13 years ago he had been shot and left in a silo for about a week,he still remembers to always go outside and eats good sleeps a lot my husband says no to putting him down,so I just let that idea go

by OPreply 18904/21/2015

My Chi started losing weight and drinking lots of water when he was 13. Took him to the vet and he had diabetes, the kind that requires a shot every day. After he started his insulin shot every day, he started being his old self again. Just pinched the skin up between his backbone and gave him a quick shot. Didn't hurt him at all. He lived another two years and died in his sleep one night by my side. So, be sure the vet checks him for diabetes and if he has it, treat it and keep him until he quietly dies in his sleep by your side.

by OPreply 19004/21/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!