Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How do you wear a hat without looking ridiculous? Hat lovers, please advise.

by Borsalinoreply 3209/09/2014

I honestly think it depends on the size of one's head. If a head is too big, regardless of hat style or fit, you'll look like a watermelon in a particularly nice chapeau.

In a general sense? Like so many things, confidence! Confidence goes a long way.

by Borsalinoreply 104/05/2010

I look stupid in hats, too, OP. My boyfriend does, too. I think some of us just don't have the heads for it.

by Borsalinoreply 204/05/2010

Anyone who wears a hat backwards looks ridiculous. Further, when viewed from the side, it makes their nose look huge.

by Borsalinoreply 304/05/2010

Does anyone...still wear...a HAT?

by Borsalinoreply 404/05/2010

I do, as many in my area. My advice is to place it on your head and simply walk down the street.

by Borsalinoreply 504/05/2010

Confidence is the only answer.

by Borsalinoreply 604/05/2010

I wear hats every day of the year, mostly as a form of sun protection.

I agree with R1. Confidence is key. You have to wear the hat, not let the hat wear you.

A lot of women refuse to wear them, however, because they fuck up their hair. That I can live with. Skin cancer? I can't live with.

by Borsalinoreply 704/05/2010

Depends on the hat. When worn functionally (such as a winter skull caps for warmth, or visors for the sun) they are easy to wear. As an ornament, much harder.

by Borsalinoreply 804/05/2010

by Borsalinoreply 909/09/2013

Big women with big heads wearing huge hats look like walking Cinzano umbrellas.

Imagine a walking Cinzano table umbrella coming at you!

by Borsalinoreply 1009/09/2013

I mourn that men (and women) don't wear hats as standard attire as they did in the 40's, 50's & first half of the 60's.

It was so handsome and elegant.

Today, unfortunately, it's just douchey.

by Borsalinoreply 1109/09/2013

Hat lovers are probably not the right people to ask.

by Borsalinoreply 1209/09/2013

You have to find a hat with the crown and brim size for your head. Some people (mostly with small heads) look great in pork pie hats (or any with a smaller crown and thin brim) that are popular. Men with normal sized or larger heads usually look better in a fedora. The shape of your face can also be a factor when selecting a hat that will look good on you.

If you live near a decent hat store (I know, there aren't many left these days), the guys in there can help you find a hat that will not only look good on you, but will fit properly.

by Borsalinoreply 1309/09/2013

You become my clone.

by Borsalinoreply 1409/09/2013

R11, I agree! Are you a fan of "Mad Men", as I am?

by Borsalinoreply 1509/09/2013

Wearing hats just takes the right attitude, OP

by Borsalinoreply 1609/09/2013

I like wearing hats, but never did until I was in the service, where we had to. I have a lot of hats; baseball caps(several dozen); 2 cowboy hats, the smaller ones, not the ten-gallon ones; one fedora;about a dozen watchcaps/skicaps, most of which I made myself. I like the feeling of something on my head, it's very comforting. I think a hat completes an outfit, even if it's very casual. Some people DO look good in hats, I call it having a good "hat face." FINDING hats that fit properly is difficult, I have a very large head(7 and7/8, but 8 is a better fit) I'd love to find a hatter that would make custom-sized hats for me. Have a few hats I call my "go to hell" hats. If you don't like 'em, you can go to hell! Hee hee.....

by Borsalinoreply 1709/09/2013

Most guys wearing fedoras just shouldn't

by Borsalinoreply 1809/09/2013

Every man needs a bill cap. The secret to looking good in one is finding the right hat and make sure it fits.

by Borsalinoreply 1909/09/2013

I think I can wear most hats (average size head, ears, face) but I don't really care if someone else doesn't like how I look. Their problem, I've got a warm head on a cold day. My bf does NOT suit hats. Even just a casual beanie in winter makes him look like he's going to steal your car and maybe rape you a little bit. He's just got a face that immediately looks criminal / shifty in a hat of any type. Maybe not helped by having black hair and a very heavy growth even within an hour or two of shaving, makes him look slightly thuggish even when wearing a nice suit.

by Borsalinoreply 2009/09/2013

I would love to be able to wear a kicky beret. But alas my head is shaped all wrong.

by Borsalinoreply 2109/09/2013

"Every man needs a bill cap." = INSTANT deal killer/dick wilted.

by Borsalinoreply 2209/09/2013

R19, I'll never wear one. I need something that would cover my years

by Borsalinoreply 2309/09/2013

Derbys are never ridiculous.

by Borsalinoreply 2409/09/2013

My dad wore hats and looked great, mostly a black beret or Homburg. He didn't wear the grey fedora of his younger, slmmer days as he got older and I never knew why. I think I inherited his "hat face," and maybe the feeling that hats are normal.

by Borsalinoreply 2509/09/2013

Don't they make your head all sweaty?

by Borsalinoreply 2609/09/2013

I have a lovely collection of baseball caps, but due to the previously mentioned watermelon head thing, or whatever it is that makes me look stoopid in them, they are not worn. I tend to really like to see guys who can work a baseball cap to good effect. They can hide a multitude of short comings for those dudes, lucky fuckers. I really do enjoy wearing my Elmer Fudd hat in the winter, people tell me I look like their retarded nephew, hell maybe I do.

by Borsalinoreply 2709/09/2013

Bump for a new hat season

by Borsalinoreply 2809/07/2014

by Borsalinoreply 2909/07/2014

So which hats go with which face shapes?

by Borsalinoreply 3009/07/2014

by Borsalinoreply 3109/09/2014

VERY, VERY few guys can wear a beret without looking ridiculous.

by Borsalinoreply 3209/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!