Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who are the least-celebrated/most underrated actors/actresses?

In that category, I would include the following:

Harry Dean Stanton- "Paris,Texas", "Pretty in Pink"

Alexa Kenin- "Little Darlings", "Pretty in Pink"

David Krumholtz- "Numb3ers", "The Slums of Beverly Hills". "Superbad (cameo)"

What are your picks?

by Tonyreply 16812/02/2012

Molly Ringwald - "Pretty in Pink," "The Breakfast Club"

Annie Potts - "Pretty in Pink," "Ghostbusters"

James Spader - "Pretty in Pink," "White Palace"

Jon Cryer - "Pretty in Pink," "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace"

Gina Gershon - "Pretty in Pink," "Showgirls"

by Tonyreply 104/03/2010

Jordana Brewster - "The Fast & The Furious"

by Tonyreply 204/03/2010

Wow,crickets. I really think that my thread will get at least a few hits. There are so many people in Hollywood who remain in obscurity in spite of quality film work.

by Tonyreply 304/03/2010

But only so many people were in "Pretty in Pink."

by Tonyreply 404/03/2010

James Spader got plenty of critical attention when he was young, thin, and hot. The fat, old, bloated Spader, not so much.

by Tonyreply 504/03/2010

Andrew McCarthy - "Pretty in Pink," "St. Elmo's Fire"

Kate Vernon - "Pretty in Pink," "Battlestar Galacticca"

Emily Longstreth - "Pretty in Pink," "The Big Picture"

Margaret Colin - "Pretty in Pink," "Gossip Girl"

by Tonyreply 604/03/2010

Sorry, my connection must have been slow. I posted the "crickets" thing when there were no posts after an hour. I send kisses to everyone who posted!

by Tonyreply 704/03/2010

Jeffrey Wright.

by Tonyreply 804/03/2010

Lesley Sharp

by Tonyreply 904/03/2010

Veronica Cartwright is amazing.

by Tonyreply 1004/03/2010

Billy Barty - "Pretty In Pink"

by Tonyreply 1104/03/2010

Loretta Devine is pretty damn' under-rated.

She was one of the original Dreamgirls and everything, you know.

by Tonyreply 1204/03/2010

Fred Ward

by Tonyreply 1304/03/2010

Alexa Kenin died/was murdered just after the filming of Pretty in Pink, so it would have been hard for her to get past the point where she was only known for that movie, Little Darlings and Honky Tonk Man. She was very good, though.

by Tonyreply 1404/03/2010

Bronson Pinchot - True Romance

I don't understand why he hasn't been more successful because he is a truly talented actor.

by Tonyreply 1504/03/2010

[italic]A wonderful thread! (Thanks.) Here are just five that I want to mention; and I'll go ahead and name them alphabetically....[/italic]

[bold]John Abraham[bold] - Sexy Bollywood film star, with not just the good-looks but an engaging persona. Abraham is fun and interesting to watch ... even in vapid productions. He's the kind of performer one would like to see more.

[bold]Craig Bierko[/bold] - 2000 Tony nominee for [italic]The Music Man[/italic], he sticks out in character roles. Bierko has been seen in recent years on the TV dial on series such as ABC's [italic]Boston Legal[/italic].

[bold]Beth Ehlers[/bold] - A five-time Emmy nominee for her Harley Cooper on CBS' [italic]Guiding Light[/italic], Ehlers was also a child actress memorable in the 1983 cult film [italic]The Hunger[/italic]. A realistic, relatable performer.

[bold]Chris Noth[/bold] - Solid yet unheralded for his memorable TV roles on NBC's [italic]Law & Order[/italic] and HBO's [italic]Sex and the City[/italic], this year Noth may finally get his overdue shot at the Emmy for his compelling portrayal of the wayward hubby on CBS' [italic]The Good Wife[/italic].

[bold]Anna Deveare Smith[/bold] - Professor, playwright, and actress, she didn't get her professional acting going until she already arrived in her 40s. But in the 1990s, Smith became a Pulitzer-Prize and Tony nominee and journeyman actress. She plays the key foil to Edie Falco's character on Showtime's [italic]Nurse Jackie[/italic] - and plays the officious supervisor very well.

by Tonyreply 1604/03/2010

[/bold][italic]A wonderful thread! (Thanks.) Here are just five that I want to mention; and I'll go ahead and name them alphabetically....[/italic]

[bold]John Abraham[/bold] - Sexy Bollywood film star, with not just the good-looks but an engaging persona. Abraham is fun and interesting to watch ... even in vapid productions. He's the kind of performer one would like to see more.

[bold]Craig Bierko[/bold] - 2000 Tony nominee for [italic]The Music Man[/italic], he sticks out in character roles. Bierko has been seen in recent years on the TV dial on series such as ABC's [italic]Boston Legal[/italic].

[bold]Beth Ehlers[/bold] - A five-time Emmy nominee for her Harley Cooper on CBS' [italic]Guiding Light[/italic], Ehlers was also a child actress memorable in the 1983 cult film [italic]The Hunger[/italic]. A realistic, relatable performer.

[bold]Chris Noth[/bold] - Solid yet unheralded for his memorable TV roles on NBC's [italic]Law & Order[/italic] and HBO's [italic]Sex and the City[/italic], this year Noth may finally get his overdue shot at the Emmy for his compelling portrayal of the wayward hubby on CBS' [italic]The Good Wife[/italic].

[bold]Anna Deveare Smith[/bold] - Professor, playwright, and actress, she didn't get her professional acting going until she already arrived in her 40s. But in the 1990s, Smith became a Pulitzer-Prize and Tony nominee and journeyman actress. She plays the key foil to Edie Falco's character on Showtime's [italic]Nurse Jackie[/italic] - and plays the officious supervisor very well.

by Tonyreply 1704/03/2010

Radha Mitchell

by Tonyreply 1804/03/2010

Don Cheadle

by Tonyreply 1904/03/2010

[/bold]Will this un-bold?[/bold]

by Tonyreply 2004/03/2010

Yes, apparently.

And David Krumholtz is shit. He makes me so angry every time I see him on Number.

by Tonyreply 2104/03/2010

Rosie O'Donnell - "Riding the Bus with My Sister" The subtlety, the quiet beauty of it.

by Tonyreply 2204/03/2010

Another vote for Loretta Devine

by Tonyreply 2304/03/2010

Comedy side, Laurie Metcalfe. She's a comedy genius, even now that she's older (recently on The Big Bang Theory). She's starred in Roseanne, Norm and some recent CW show that lasted a few months, and guested memorably on Desperate Housewives, TBBT and Third Rock. She needs her own show, even though she's probably a bit too old for it now.

by Tonyreply 2404/04/2010

R24, drop the additional "e" - it's Laurie Metcalf. (Great choice.)

by Tonyreply 2504/04/2010

Jami gertz- the lost boys, less than zero

Felice schachter-zapped,the facts of life

Louisa moritz-last american vrgin

by Tonyreply 2604/04/2010

Audrey Hepburn simply does not fit this thread, under the most generous of interpretations. There are biographies of her, appreciations of her, she's a recognisable cultural icon in the Tiffany gear. She probably gets name-checked more often than Steve McQueen and Gina Lollobrigida combined.

by Tonyreply 2804/04/2010

If we are eliminating from discussion total unknowns, my answers are

Chloe Webb and Stephen Dillane

by Tonyreply 2904/04/2010

Bill Pullman. He's a great actor and good looking. He was a lead in a few big movies (Spaceballs, Independence Day) but he never made it big.

by Tonyreply 3004/04/2010

Alex Dimitriades was electrifying in the Australian gay film Head On.

Ray Liotta was phenomically sexy and creepy in Something Wild. He was sexy and creepy beyond belief. (Those eyes of his were dynamite on the big screen.) He was excellent in Goodfellas - then went downhill SO fast, he now seems almost like a completely different actor.

by Tonyreply 3104/04/2010

David Strathairn. He's not exactly unknown, but he should have a bigger career than he has.

by Tonyreply 3204/04/2010

Julia Duffy

by Tonyreply 3304/04/2010

Shouldn't this be the Pretty in Pink thread?

by Tonyreply 3404/04/2010

Meg Tilley

by Tonyreply 3504/04/2010

Allison Janney. Celebrated for her TV work, but underachieving on film.

by Tonyreply 3604/04/2010

Strathairn was Oscar-nominated though, and for a lead role. So I don't know if he's underrated, perhaps uncelebrated though. He used to be a pretty hot man in his day too. I wanted him bad in Dolores Claiborne.

by Tonyreply 3704/04/2010

WEHT Mercedes Ruel? She was great in the Fisher King.

by Tonyreply 3804/04/2010

Lupe Ontiveros in Chuck and Buck.

by Tonyreply 3904/04/2010

Guy Pearce

by Tonyreply 4104/04/2010

Elizabeth Pena.

by Tonyreply 4204/04/2010

Salli Richardson - Whitfield

by Tonyreply 4304/04/2010

Steven Skybell Lauren Lane Xander Berkeley Sarah Clarke Titus Welliver Georgia Hatzai Kate Valk (okay, maybe she is much respected, but still too little known)

by Tonyreply 4404/04/2010

Patricia Richardson. Though she garnered four Emmy nominations in the 1990s, as Tim Allen's wife, for [italic]Home Improvement[/italic], she has been consistently direct and honest in her performances. A very good actress.

by Tonyreply 4504/04/2010

Jessica Hynes/Stevenson

by Tonyreply 4604/04/2010

I agree completely on Patricia Richardson.

by Tonyreply 4704/04/2010

Another vote for Anna Deavere Smith. Also Vera Farmiga was spectacular in "Down To The Bone", and I think she's underrated. I think another one to watch is Merritt Wever, who plays Zoey on "Nurse Jackie" and is also in 'Greenberg', the new Noah Baumbach film.

by Tonyreply 4804/04/2010

Some of these people are recognized as undeniably talented, but have screwed their own careers with their addictions, acting out, or just plain bad choices in roles.

by Tonyreply 4904/04/2010

Which ones, R49?

by Tonyreply 5004/04/2010

Let's face it: "Pretty in Pink" marked the zenith of American acting. Everything else from thyen on was downhill.

by Tonyreply 5104/04/2010

Betty Buckley

by Tonyreply 5204/04/2010

Melaine Lynskey

by Tonyreply 5304/04/2010

I always thought Anna Devere Smith was WAY overrated.

Then she moved on to playing supporting roles on TV which seems like just the right place for her.

By the way, she was Angela Davis's lover for awhile before Fires in the Mirror.

by Tonyreply 5404/04/2010

Alfred Molina - in anything. (But I especially like him in "Enchanted April" and "Not Without My Daughter.".

by Tonyreply 5504/04/2010

Molina is amazing in Red.

by Tonyreply 5604/04/2010

Well, I think Chloe Webb is awesome. She had amazing potential. But at least what I've heard, she is near impossible to work with. And yeah, I'd say Betty Buckley has screwed her career as well; sure she's got a cult following, but she could have had a much larger career in TV (more likely than film) if she weren't so batshit (see anecdotal evidence in about a million threads).

by Tonyreply 5704/04/2010

Mary McCormack of USA Network's [italic]In Plain Sight[/italic]. She has been underrated since she starred regularly in the mid-1990s on ABC's [italic]Murder One[/italic].

by Tonyreply 5804/04/2010

Ed Harris

by Tonyreply 5904/04/2010

Michelle Forbes

by Tonyreply 6004/04/2010

R57

Was she just a diva or what?

by Tonyreply 6104/04/2010

Anne Carlisle

by Tonyreply 6204/04/2010

Henry Gibson - a brilliant actor (Nasville), yet the Academy didn't see fit to include him in their In Memoriam section this year

Eileen Brennan Grace Zabriskie and two more votes for Laurie Metcalf (also a great stage actress) and Veronica Cartwright.

by Tonyreply 6304/04/2010

R63--

You are naming four very highly acclaimed actresses.

In fact, Laurie Metcalf would have to walk on water to live up to her hype. (As if anyone could be the definitive Laura Wingfield!)

by Tonyreply 6404/04/2010

[quote](As if anyone could be the definitive Laura Wingfield!)

*Ahem*

by Tonyreply 6504/04/2010

Sorry Laurette--Yes, Julie Haydon was definitive.

(There's a sentence I never thought I would write. Then again, the REAL Laurette Taylor did not have the energy to stand up for her fellow castmates.)

by Tonyreply 6604/04/2010

[quote]Laurette Taylor originated the role of the all-too-loving mother, Amanda Wingfield, and many who witnessed it consider that performance to be an incomparable, defining moment for American acting. In the 2004 documentary Broadway: The Golden Age, by the Legends Who Were There, Broadway veterans nearly unanimously rank Taylor's performance as the most memorable of their entire lives.

by Tonyreply 6704/04/2010

Let's see: should I take the word of r66 that Julie Haydon was the definitive Amanda Wingfield, or should I take the word of Uta Hagen, Gena Rowlands, Fred Ebb, Charles Durning, Tony Randall, Ben Gazzara, Vivien Leigh, Martin Landau, Spencer Tracy, Hume Cronyn, and Jessica Tandy that it was instead Laurette Taylor?

*ponders heavily*

by Tonyreply 6804/04/2010

R67

Relevance?

by Tonyreply 6904/04/2010

R68--Julie Haydon played LAURA. Laurette Taylor played AMANDA.

Laurie Metcalf's LAURA is frequently praised as perhaps the best ever.

A poster signing themselves as Laurette Taylor harrumphed, so playing along I described the actress who played Laura to Taylor's Amanda as the definitive one.

(Maybe you are confused because Haydon played Amanda off-off-Bway in the 1980s???)

by Tonyreply 7004/04/2010

Laurie Metcalf is in an episode of Malcolm In The Middle I'm watching right now. I forgot how great she is. Why isn't she a bigger star? She's fantastic.

by Tonyreply 7104/11/2010

Charles S. Dutton

Chloe Webb

Brad Dourif

Jayne Atkinson

Kyra Sedgewick, at least until The Closer

Cherry Jones, outside of New York

Jamie Sheridan

by Tonyreply 7210/11/2010

Kim Coates (THE CLIENT, SONS OF ANARCHY) is fantastic and underrated.%0D %0D Strongly seconding the votes for Bill Pullman, Salli Richardson-Whitfield, and Mary McCormack.%0D %0D Bruce Greenwood.%0D %0D And the poster who listed Kate Vernon? GREAT choice. When I first saw her back in the mid-80s, I was certain she would be A-list in no time.%0D %0D And I'm certain to get flamed for this one, because she 1) has an Oscar; 2) Is insufferable on The View--but I think Whoopi Goldberg is a fantastic actor in the right part. If you ever get the chance to see her face off against Chris Noth in L&O: Criminal Intent (ep. title "To the Bone"), you should tune in. She was Emmy-worthy. %0D %0D BTW, what is Whoopi's problem? Is she lazy and uninterested in acting, smoke too much weed, or got too invested in her own hype? Because she's got the goods when she chooses to use them.

by Tonyreply 7310/12/2010

Jennifer Ehle

by Tonyreply 7410/12/2010

Campbell Scott

by Tonyreply 7510/12/2010

Paula Prentiss%0D %0D

by Tonyreply 7610/12/2010

Jean Smart is the actor in anything she's in

by Tonyreply 7710/12/2010

Celia Weston

by Tonyreply 7810/12/2010

Ken Wahl~~"Wiseguy"

by Tonyreply 7910/12/2010

I never would have thought Kate Vernon was a great actress, but she pretty much blew me away in Battlestar Galactica.

by Tonyreply 8010/12/2010

Chanta Smith

Kate Nelligan

Netha Lingrabe

Christy Jade

Countess Calvane

Mother Tyrrell

by Tonyreply 8110/12/2010

John Slattery. Yes I know he's on Mad Men and his character Roger Sterling is pretty popular, but I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves. He's probably the most talented actor on TV right now. Anything he does is good.

by Tonyreply 8204/18/2012

Kate Nelligan

by Tonyreply 8304/18/2012

Paula Prentiss, Kate Nelligan, and Cherry Jones.

Paula Prentiss set a standard in comedy and no one caught up to it until the 1980's, which is when Genna Davis started in on things. She went from being a part of the studio system, to working her way through when there was no longer a studio system, to even doing independent films. Bitch earned her place in cinema and her life story is as tragic as she was (and is) beautiful. I think she should be a gay icon at a bare minimum and am actually not "The Paula Prentiss Troll."

Kate Nelligan in "Plenty" brought it to the rafters. She also played one hell of a part in "The Prince of Tides." I do not know where she is or what she is doing at this point in her life but she deserves at least the one good role. Hell, put her in "American Horror Story" with Jessica Lange and let her go at it. Something! Anything!

Cherry Jones. Outside of the world of the theater people know Cherry Jones as having played the President on "24" for its last two seasons. WTF!? She needs a really good film role by now. Just the one. Hollywood should give Cherry the one sure shot at a proper film by now because it is all she would need and she also deserves it. And where she is really cool is that it could be a supporting role and she would kick ass.

by Tonyreply 8404/18/2012

Chiwetel Ejiofor, Don Cheadle, Everyone from Battlestar Galatica, Summer Glau (nobody does crazy better than her -- female category), Jeffrey Combs (nobody does crazy better than him - male category), Paget Brewster (when she was in Andy Richter Controls the Universe), Mark Harmon from back in day.

by Tonyreply 8504/18/2012

Embeth Davidtz -- "Junebug," "Mansfield Park"

CCH Pounder -- "Bagdad Cafe"

Teresa Wright -- "Shadow of a Doubt"

Patricia Collinge -- "Shadow of a Doubt"

Diane Baker -- "Marnie"

by Tonyreply 8704/18/2012

All time most underrated:

Natalie Wood

by Tonyreply 8804/18/2012

To bend OP's rules a bit, I'll claim the following as "underused":

Lindsay Duncan

Wendell Pierce

Paddy Considine

Timothy Spall

Patricia Clarkson

Tim Blake Nelson

Aaron Paul

R31: Alex Dimitriades recently played one of the leads in the Australian TV short series "The Slap."

by Tonyreply 8904/18/2012

Pia Zadora owns this thread.

by Tonyreply 9004/18/2012

the Cherry Jones Troll(s) need to get a fucking life.

by Tonyreply 9104/18/2012

I think Donald Sutherland has never received an Oscar nomination. He's always competent and sometimes great.

Ciaran Hinds is cast often, so directors seem to rate him highly. But I rarely see him discussed. He's brilliant.

by Tonyreply 9204/18/2012

What about Elias Koteas?

by Tonyreply 9304/18/2012

Philip Baker Hall

by Tonyreply 9404/18/2012

Rod Steiger

by Tonyreply 9504/18/2012

R93. I love the scene where he turns to Eric Stoltz (i think it was him) and says, "this is what my girlfriend would look like without skin" and then holds up a picture he had just drawn. Cracks me up everytime.

by Tonyreply 9604/18/2012

Amy Aquino

by Tonyreply 9704/18/2012

Agree with R93 and R96, let's talk more about Elias Koteas

by Tonyreply 9804/18/2012

Elias Koteas is Canadian

by Tonyreply 9904/18/2012

Now, now... let's not judge. Nobody is perfect. :)

by Tonyreply 10004/18/2012

Kurt Russell in Unlawful Entry

by Tonyreply 10104/18/2012

Mary Kay Place in everything, from Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman to Big Love. She's been working for four solid decades, but never seems to grab the publicity spotlight.

by Tonyreply 10204/18/2012

Joan Allen -- somewhere there should be a building full of writers at work on scripts for flinty suburban housewives, all expressly for her consideration

by Tonyreply 10304/18/2012

Tatum O'Neal.

by Tonyreply 10404/18/2012

Lainie Kazan!

by Tonyreply 10504/18/2012

[quote]Elias Koteas is Canadian

This is true. Canadian but of Greek and Quebecois extraction. Note the virile Grecian bulge weighing heavily against the crotch of his pants in this scene from ZODIAC.

by Tonyreply 10604/18/2012

R91 There are no Cherry Jones trolls here.

There is "The Paula Prentiss Troll" and the "Elias Koteas Troll" and that is it as near as I can gather.

by Tonyreply 10704/18/2012

[quote]There is "The Paula Prentiss Troll" and the "Elias Koteas Troll" and that is it as near as I can gather.

Who is the Elias Koteas Troll?

by Tonyreply 10804/18/2012

How could I forget John Barrowman.

by Tonyreply 10904/18/2012

[quote]Canadian but of Greek and Quebecois extraction.

"but"???

Honey, last time I checked Quebec was still part of Canada.

by Tonyreply 11004/18/2012

Joe Pantoliano.

Alfre Woodard.

Anika Noni Rose.

John Hurt.

John Turturro.

Rade Serbedzija.

Stephen Graham. Oh and another vote for Loretta Devine.

by Tonyreply 11104/18/2012

Haviland Morris- "Sixteen Candles" and "Who's That Girl?"

Yeah, you read that right. A Madonna movie. Haviland is hilarious in it, too.

by Tonyreply 11204/18/2012

Deidre Hall!

by Tonyreply 11304/18/2012

Fred Ward, always liked him.

by Tonyreply 11404/18/2012

David Straithairn, and even though they are acclaimed, I think Kathy Bates, Gene Hackman, Dianne Wiest are a little underrated by the general public.

by Tonyreply 11504/18/2012

Agree with Kathy Bates, add in multi-talented Valerie Harper who can do drama, comedy, everything.

Gene Hackman? Hackman had his time -- a long time -- in the 1970s when he was huge for an ugly guy.

by Tonyreply 11604/18/2012

R112, Haviland is also hilarious in Gremlins 2...I have been a fan of hers for years, and it is sad to see her shilling for some cable company these days.

by Tonyreply 11704/18/2012

Rebecca Hall, Jewel Staite

by Tonyreply 11804/18/2012

zeljko ivanek is a great fucking actor

by Tonyreply 11904/18/2012

r116 thanks for mentioning Valerie Harper. I have seen her stage work over the years and she is a GREAT actress. She was completely unrecognizable as Tallulah Bankhead.

by Tonyreply 12004/18/2012

Jean Smart and Mary Kay Place are both great picks.

by Tonyreply 12104/18/2012

So glad there is another Haviland fan, R117! I read her IMDB page and apparently she has spent some years in daytime soap hell, too. It's really too bad. If she was coming up now, she would have had so many more opportunities.

by Tonyreply 12204/18/2012

Trevor St. John

by Tonyreply 12304/18/2012

Brooke Smith. Her performance in Silence of the Lambs was great.

by Tonyreply 12404/18/2012

Erica Gimpel- Fame, ER, Veronica Mars

by Tonyreply 12504/19/2012

Tricia Cast- Young and the Restless,Bad News Bears

Kim Richards- before housewives she was a child actress in escape to witch mountain, hello larry

Dana Plato- Different Strokes

Erin Moran- Happy Days

by Tonyreply 12604/19/2012

[quote]John Slattery. Yes I know he's on Mad Men and his character Roger Sterling is pretty popular, but I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves. He's probably the most talented actor on TV right now. Anything he does is good.

I've loved John Slattery since Homefront.

by Tonyreply 12704/19/2012

PROBABLY ALL TIME UNDERRATED ACTRESSES WOULD BE:

JEAN SIMMONS PAULA PRENTISS TUESDAY WELD

IDA LUPINO

LOLITA DAVIDOVICH JEAN ARTHUR CLAUDIA CARDINALE MARGARET COLIN

by Tonyreply 12811/30/2012

Chloe Webb Michael Madsen Gillian Anderson Stephen Dillane Thandie Newton

by Tonyreply 12911/30/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Tonyreply 13011/30/2012

Paula Prentiss

by Tonyreply 13111/30/2012

by Tonyreply 13211/30/2012

Bruno Coon- "Pretty in Pink"

William Winckler- "Pretty in Pink" (uncredited)

by Tonyreply 13311/30/2012

David Stathairn.

He made that overdrawn dreck, Lincoln, bearable with a perfectly human portrayal Steward

by Tonyreply 13411/30/2012

Kerry Fox: An Angel at my Table

by Tonyreply 13511/30/2012

Suzanne Pleshette should have been a big movie star but I don't think Hollywood knew what to do with her.

by Tonyreply 13611/30/2012

by Tonyreply 13711/30/2012

Waltz won an Academy Award (Best Actor in a Supporting Role) for that role, R137. How is that "least celebrated" or "most underrated"?

by Tonyreply 13811/30/2012

Eric Roberts in "Star 80"

Kurt Russell in "The Thing", "Dark Blue"

Miranda Richardson in "Spider", "Dance with a Stranger"

Charlotte Rampling in "Under the Sand", "Swimming Pool"

Jennifer Jason Leigh in "Miami Blues", "Georgia", "Last Exit to Brooklyn"

by Tonyreply 13911/30/2012

Melanie Griffith, seriously.

by Tonyreply 14011/30/2012

Neely O'Hara.

Her last feature film, "Let's Get it On"(1998) with Denzel Washington was hailed by the critics but flopped at the box office (as we all know).

Her last line of the film, "I want you back inside of my mind", was the greatest euphemism, considering that Neely's character, Posie,had had an "intelligence chip" inserted in her head that was directly linked to her clitoris.

Of course, I'm glad that she's currently getting a lot of TV work.

by Tonyreply 14111/30/2012

Cillian Murphy. This actress should get more A-List roles calling for true beauties.

by Tonyreply 14211/30/2012

Geena Davis.... "A League of Their Own"

by Tonyreply 14311/30/2012

Margo Martindale won an Emmy - but she is still waay underappreciated. Philip Baker Hall. Regina King.

by Tonyreply 14411/30/2012

I see your point, R140 - Melanie Griffith is a limited actress who chose a lot of bad films and gave some bad performances in them, but she has actually been terrific when given a chance. Not just in her Oscar-nominated, Golden Globe-winning role in Working Girl, either, but also Body Double, Another Day in Paradise, Cecil B. Demented, and - her best performance IMO - Something Wild.

by Tonyreply 14511/30/2012

Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink Pretty in Pink

by Tonyreply 14611/30/2012

[quote]Geena Davis.... "A League of Their Own"

Couldn't agree more!

by Tonyreply 14711/30/2012

Lauren Hutton

Sally Struthers

Sally Kellerman

Each of them are capable of delivering a solid natural performance that holds your interest.

I feel particularly bad for Struthers since her career trajectory seems the most burdensome. The perpetual lampooning for those hungry children and correspondence career courses notwithstanding, her baby doll voice and morphing into a big haired butterball throughout the mid to late eighties obviously did her in in Hwood. "Sorry hon, no more Movies of the Week or such for you!"

Relegated to decades of parts in cheese ball theater from one Podunk town to the next, along with occasional shitcom offerings mainly playing some flaky mom caricature to one of the principal stars hasn't been the best showcase for this Emmy winning actress.

I hope she at least derives some satisfaction from keeping busy (and avoiding DWI). You'd have thought Meathead would've thrown something her way to give her career a boost ages ago.

by Tonyreply 14811/30/2012

Jessica Hecht - solid character actress who pops up in a lot of stuff.

Dale Dickey - another great character actress, but she's starting to get recognition and great parts.

Agree with Michelle Forbes, Kate Vernon, and Grace Zabriskie. All three are underused.

by Tonyreply 14911/30/2012

I remember thinking Max Perlich was great when he was in a few things in the 90's, but I never see him in anything any more. He seemed like a Bret character actor.

by Tonyreply 15011/30/2012

[quote]Geena Davis.... "A League of Their Own"

Well, there's a poor man's Paula Prentiss (who is truly an under-rated actress) if I ever saw one!

by Tonyreply 15111/30/2012

These are my embarrassing ones:

Phoebe Cates- "Drop Dead Fred"

Moira Kelly- "The Cutting Edge"

by Tonyreply 15211/30/2012

Meeee!

by Tonyreply 15311/30/2012

Dan Futterman

John McEnery

Jean Simmons

by Tonyreply 15411/30/2012

OP chooses David Krumholtz and lists a cameo from Superbad as an example of work that is underrated?

Ooooookkkkkaaaayyy ...

by Tonyreply 15511/30/2012

R155, "Pretty in Pink" more than makes up for that.

by Tonyreply 15611/30/2012

Levon Helm Coal Miners Daughter among others.

The late Charles Rocket was the ultimate yuppie asshole and he sadly couldn't get out of it.

by Tonyreply 15711/30/2012

Totally agree w/ Michelle Forbes. She is in so many things - always different and stellar and not appreciated at all. And she is FINE.

by Tonyreply 15811/30/2012

R152 - love Phoebe in Drop Dead Fred.

by Tonyreply 15911/30/2012

Jennifer Jason Leigh

by Tonyreply 16011/30/2012

R159 Right? Her deadpan is hilarious, but she did the emotional stuff legitimately well, too.

Basically everyone thought that movie was total shit. But as someone who has struggled with destructive defense mechanisms, I thought the general idea was accurate and intelligent.

by Tonyreply 16111/30/2012

R161 - Yes, she handled a wide range of emotions.

That said, Jennifer Jason Leigh had the better performance in Fast Times.

by Tonyreply 16211/30/2012

Actor: Eric Roberts

Actresses: Molly Hagen, Heidi Mueller

by Tonyreply 16311/30/2012

by Tonyreply 16412/01/2012

Valerie Curtin - "Alice Doesn't Live here Anymore"

by Tonyreply 16512/02/2012

Elaine Princi (Kate Winograd Roberts #1, Days of Our Lives)

by Tonyreply 16612/02/2012

Has anyone heard from R146 since he had his stroke? I hope he's doing better!

by Tonyreply 16712/02/2012

John Hawkes (Winter's Bone)

He is amazing.

by Tonyreply 16812/02/2012
Need more help? Click Here.