Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rachel Maddow

Why do they dress her in that same damn mannish dark gray suit with black shirt underneath every damn night? Can't they mix it up once in a while? I'm not saying to put her in a pink sweater set or, heaven forbid, a skirt or dress, but just something different once in a while. I'm not saying to transform her into a Fox News bimbo, but would it hurt them to vary her wardrobe and make her pleasant to look at? This is television, not radio, after all.

by Anonymousreply 6504/05/2010

She has new hair. Sort of.

by Anonymousreply 104/02/2010

Yeah, put her in a dress. A big, pink, frilly one. Maybe let her wear a tiara.

by Anonymousreply 204/02/2010

She's rockin the shiitake look.

by Anonymousreply 304/02/2010

Maybe she has it in her contract that she wears the same clothes every night. When you have a busy life like that it's easier to buy 20 of the same outfits than choosing a new one every day.

by Anonymousreply 404/02/2010

Who cares. She was awesome tonight ripping into the Rethugs about all their fucking lies. That segment should be played on a continuous loop on the Jumbotron in Times Square.

Go, Rachel!

by Anonymousreply 504/02/2010

She accepted a lowered salary in exchange for being able to dress as a man every night.

by Anonymousreply 604/02/2010

Um hon, that's Rachel's decision. She is a butch dyke. I know people don't want her to be a butch dyke, and they don't like that she dresses like a butch dyke, but that's what she is. By her own admission, anyone who knows anything about her knows that's how she defines herself. She hates fem clothing, she said she feels like she's in drag whenever she's worn a dress. She never wore makeup until they forced her to for the show, and she takes it off immediately after the show is over. She still never wears jewelry.

by Anonymousreply 704/02/2010

What does being gay have to do with trying to look good for a TV audience? Anderson Cooper has a great wardrobe full of men's clothes and accessories.

by Anonymousreply 804/02/2010

I think she looks fantastic, and I can't imagine what OP's problem is.

by Anonymousreply 904/02/2010

The point is she is in charge of her look, OP. She isn't forced to wear those plain black suits, she likes wearing them. You'll just have to accept Rachel the way she is because not going to change for you.

by Anonymousreply 1004/02/2010

She should take a cue from that Jenny girl who handles technology stories, or dress her like Bette Davis in 'The Corn Is Green'.

by Anonymousreply 1104/02/2010

I agree R9. For some reason OP seems to think she needs to be all dolled up like Charo to be attractive.

by Anonymousreply 1204/02/2010

All I'm saying is that a splash of color, just something different, would be nice for a change. I'm sick of looking at that same damn suit night after night.

by Anonymousreply 1304/02/2010

Rachel never wears any top that covers her chest area and neck area.

It's always a low scoop neck tee or a low v-neck tee, and you can barely see the tee under the suit jacket.

I always wonder why she never wears a blouse with a collar, but I think it's because blouses with collars possibly require more upkeep than tee-shirts which you can throw in the washer and not worry about wrinkles.

by Anonymousreply 1404/02/2010

You know that is NOT what the OP is saying at all, R12.

Why would you use such an exaggerated outlandish argument to make your point. Very cheap on your part.

by Anonymousreply 1504/02/2010

Yeah, and risk looking like a drag queen. Thanks, but NO thanks.

by Anonymousreply 1604/02/2010

In the olden days, Rachel would've been one of those dykes who would actively pass as male. She would've worn a zoot suit and a man's hat, and her girlfriend would be fem. Lesbians did that so they could pass as a heterosexual couple in public and not be gay-bashed.

by Anonymousreply 1704/02/2010

Rachel freely admits she's a bull dyke. She actually femmes-up for TV.

Here she is au natural.

by Anonymousreply 1804/02/2010

I think she's beautiful. I'm always so mesmerized by her face (and her mind) I don't pay any attention to her clothes. BTW. she's got a PhD in Politics from Oxford.

by Anonymousreply 1904/02/2010

As Shirley Q Liquor said, I've never met a bull dyger I didn't love.

by Anonymousreply 2004/02/2010

Whenever she is not hosting her show, she wears very large plastic horn-rimmed glasses like in the photo at R18.

She has a large pair of bright blue plastic glasses too.

She always wears the glasses too when appearing as a guest on David Letterman show. One recent night she and Dave traded glasses.

During the run up to the Obama election, the makeup people at MSNBC put really flattering muted goldish copperish eye shadow on Rachel - it looked fabulous - I don't wear eye shadow, but it illustrated how it can improve one's looks if so inclined and not opposed to it.

by Anonymousreply 2104/02/2010

Oh yikes... I always thought she was really cute, but she looks like a man in that pic R18 linked to. Maybe losing the glasses would help.

by Anonymousreply 2204/02/2010

This makes me wonder how much better I would look if I wore makeup...

by Anonymousreply 2304/02/2010

You'd still be fat r23

by Anonymousreply 2404/02/2010

MSNBC puts quite a bit of makeup on Rachel for her show, so she looks radically different in the photo at R18 without makeup.

by Anonymousreply 2504/02/2010

She looks like a man, r22? You don't say, I wonder why that could be. If only there had been some previous discussion about this in the thread, maybe we'd have some idea, hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 2604/02/2010

R21 here. Maybe it was grayish putty color eye shadow with tiny bit of metallic, rather than goldish copperish.

by Anonymousreply 2704/02/2010

R23, I almost never wear it either but when I do it really does make difference. However, I can't be bothered every day.

by Anonymousreply 2804/02/2010

The frosted baby pink lipstic with gloss works best on her.

by Anonymousreply 2904/02/2010

This thread makes me want to wear eye shadow.

by Anonymousreply 3004/02/2010

I call it the Sally Jesse effect. Sally had to wear the red framed glasses, or her audience would disassociate from her. It's Rachel's signature look that her audience relates to. You start muddling with that and you start muddling with Q scores.

by Anonymousreply 3104/02/2010

[quote]For some reason OP seems to think she needs to be all dolled up like Charo to be attractive.

Can you imagine if that were the case? It'd be like watching one of those lampooned characters from an old Pedro Almodovar film.

by Anonymousreply 3204/02/2010

I not a big make-up wearer - going to cosmetic counters in big department stores is like the ninth circle of hell for me - but I do use YSL Touche Eclat and MAC blot powder. Just those two products can give the flawless look.

by Anonymousreply 3304/02/2010

by Anonymousreply 3404/03/2010

She looks like an old Italian woman, from the Old Country.

by Anonymousreply 3504/03/2010

Journalism and facts are boring. I want to see super-cute couture!

by Anonymousreply 3604/03/2010

And why couldn't Walter Cronkite have worn sequined muscle tees?

by Anonymousreply 3704/03/2010

I don't mind the suits she wears, but I don't like the expanse of skin showing. ...she should wear some sort of tee shirt with the suit jackets.

by Anonymousreply 3804/03/2010

wow r18 she has big dick face

by Anonymousreply 3904/03/2010

Rachel looks all right to me.

I do wish the fashionistas who want to transform her into someone is is not would drop dead.

Did I tell you I hated fashionistas and their mindless preoccupation with other people's lives?

by Anonymousreply 4004/03/2010

Maddow bores me to tears.

No wonder her gf is so fat... She eats and eats out of sheer boredom.

by Anonymousreply 4104/03/2010

I think that Rachel Maddow is fearless! Love her!

She has a cool look in that she has more of a swimmers build and just stays with a neutral pallet on her show. There is nothing wrong with that.

The last thing I think of while watching her show is what she is wearing. As smart as she is, she could come out in full on bull dike gear on her show and I personally would not give a damn' because of how she is so fearless.

I think that she and Anderson Cooper should have a show together, because they are two of the best reporters going as of right now.

by Anonymousreply 4204/03/2010

I too tthink she's fabulous just the way she is, but I have wondered occasionally if she has gender-identity issues.

by Anonymousreply 4304/03/2010

^ "think"

by Anonymousreply 4404/03/2010

Hee, I just came across this picture of her when she was awarded the Rhodes Scholarship at 21. Total mid-90s baby dyke, right down to the purple hair.

I think she's awesome, and could listen to her go on about politics and public policy for hours. I don't really have a problem with the way she's dressed on the show, though I do agree that it'd be better if she wore shirts that were more visible under the jackets. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if she's not too keen on blouses, and the network's not too keen on her wearing obvious t-shirts.

by Anonymousreply 4504/03/2010

This is the problem with dykes and straight women alike these days. They simply refuse to attire and comport themselves in a way pleasing to gay men. What's up with that?

by Anonymousreply 4604/03/2010

Rachel doesn't want to be a femme. She is very comfortable in her own skin as a butch.

by Anonymousreply 4704/03/2010

Looking glam. Now this is what I'm talkin' about.

by Anonymousreply 4804/03/2010

That is hot, R48. Proof positive that she can be both butch [italic]and[/italic] stylish.

by Anonymousreply 4904/03/2010

That picture is hideous, r48.

I can't stop laughing. Is she trying to spoof the 1930s or something?

by Anonymousreply 5004/03/2010

Looking glam, and airbrushed to hell r48.

by Anonymousreply 5104/03/2010

I had the impression the OP would be happy if she just wore a [italic]blue[/italic] suit once in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 5204/03/2010

Don't forget that Rachel Maddow is going to host a special presentation on Timothy McVeigh and homegrown terrorists or "anti-government extremists."

Watch it!

I was googling the show, and I ran across this little thread from FreeRepublic. They're already running scared on her expose, which no doubt will implicate the TeaBagger extremists to the same type of domestic terrorism as McVeigh and his associates.

And of course, they deny it completely. Stupid cunts.

by Anonymousreply 5304/04/2010

I would assume that Rachel wears what she wants to wear and nobody is going to tell her what to wear.

And her style, though monotonous perhaps, suite her very well.

She actually left her desk, a rare incident, the other night and I was surprised - thought I don't know why - that she was wearing jeans. Well I do know why, her jackets always looks to be pants suit jackets, not jackets one would wear with jeans. Of course, since we only usually see her from sternum up on television, it hardly matters what she's wearing underneath that desk. Although I'm sure many would entertain fantasies on that subject.

by Anonymousreply 5404/04/2010

If she and Anderson Cooper traded wardrobes, would everyone be happy then?

by Anonymousreply 5504/04/2010

I think she's very pleasant to look at. If you squint she looks like a really cute man.

by Anonymousreply 5604/04/2010

Who gives a shit how she dresses? She is good at what she does. I don't tune in often enough because I just forget about MSNBC. When I do, though, I am always impressed with her performance and I always learn something.

by Anonymousreply 5704/04/2010

The dyke-phobia on this thread is palpable.

by Anonymousreply 5804/04/2010

Of course they're scared shitless, R53. Half of their membership are militia members.

by Anonymousreply 5904/04/2010

I love butch women, and I dream about wrapping my legs around her ass.

So there.

by Anonymousreply 6004/04/2010

I also saw that when she left the desk the other night, R54, and I was thinking it was have been amusing if she were also barefoot or wearing a pair of tims.

by Anonymousreply 6104/04/2010

r18 She looks like a dude in that pic.

Nice article at link

by Anonymousreply 6204/05/2010

I've worked in TV news for years. Many of the anchors wear jeans with their suit tops (male or female) but only when they're not getting up from the desk. You're not supposed to see it at home!

by Anonymousreply 6304/05/2010

Anderson Cooper always wears jeans with his suit tops and he's been getting up from his desk constantly the past few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 6404/05/2010

He doesn't always wear jeans, r64, just sometimes.

The last couple weeks he's been doing a lot more informal type walking around stuff on his show to operate touch screens and things.

Getting back to the topic, I'm not really sure that the person to compare a butch lesbian of middle class origins to fashionwise is Gloria Vanderbilt's stylish gay son. Maybe we should compare her to Ellen or Jane Velez Mitchell? And what is going on with Jane's weird big hair?

by Anonymousreply 6504/05/2010
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!