Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anna Paquin Says She''s Bisexual

[for r48 from one of the Ricky Martin threads, and for our ladies, whom I love . . . ]

In a surprising move – that even took people close to her off guard - True Blood's sexy star Anna Paquin is publicly revealing she’s bisexual for the very first time, RadarOnline.com has learned exclusively.

Paquin – who’s engaged to her handsome True Blood co-star Stephen Moyer – quietly made the revelation during a top-secret taping earlier this year of a Public Service Announcement (PSA) on behalf of the True Colors Fund, an organization dedicated to fighting for equal rights for everyone –gay, straight, bisexual or transgendered.

PHOTOS: Other Celebs Who’ve Come Out As Gay Or Bisexual

The PSA was taped Saturday, January 30th, at the Standard Hotel in Los Angeles, and a source exclusively tells RadarOnline.com that Paquin, on-camera, identified herself as being bisexual, saying: “I’m Anna Paquin. I’m bisexual, and I give a damn.”

PHOTOS: Anna Paquin Shows Off Her Engagement Ring

"Give A Damn” is the theme of the campaign which will feature several celebs speaking out for equality. It officially launches on-line at wegiveadamn.org at 9 a.m. EST on Thursday, April 1st, but RadarOnline.com has an exclusive first look at the first two PSA's being released. Others celebs who were at the taping when Paquin made her surprising announcement included comedienne Margaret Cho and singers Mya and Jason Mraz.

VIDEO: Give A Damn PSA #2

Our source tells us that people close to Paquin, who were at the shoot, did not know she was going to make the statement, and it was a surprise to them.

PHOTOS: Anna Paquin's Star Style Evolution

The PSA featuring Paquin is the first of several spots to be unveiled on-line in the months ahead. Other celebrities taking part in the campaign include Elton John, Whoopi Goldberg, Cynthia Nixon, Sharon and Kelly Osbourne, Judith Light, Kim Kardashian, Clay Aiken, and Wanda Sykes –all proclaiming they “Give A Damn” about equality as they too publicly declare their sexuality, be it straight, gay or bisexual.

PHOTOS: Kim and Kourtney Sun in Miami

The True Colors Fund is the non-profit arm of the True Colors Tour. Co-founded by Cyndi Lauper, the organization, according to it’s website, is dedicated “to inspire and engage everyone, particularly the straight community, to become active participants in the advancement of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) equality and ensure a strong and vibrant LGBT community.”

PHOTOS: Supermodels in bikinis celebrate the 15th Anniversary of Victoria's Secrets' 'The Swim Catalogue'

Paquin, 27, plays telepathic Sookie Stackhouse on HBO’s vampire drama True Blood. This is not the first time Paquin will have surprised Hollywood. In 1994, at the tender age of eleven, the New Zealand native stunned Tinseltown when she won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her role as the precocious child in The Piano. Her co-star, Holly Hunter, won Best Actress for her role in the film.

Paquin and Moyer announced their engagement in August of 2009. No wedding date has yet been made public.

by Anonymousreply 7103/03/2013

Is Mraz straight?

by Anonymousreply 104/01/2010

What sexuality is Whoopi declaring?

by Anonymousreply 204/01/2010

I LOVE Jason Mraz. He's MINE, you filthy whores!!!

by Anonymousreply 304/01/2010

I wish Mraz is gay. Beautiful man.

by Anonymousreply 404/01/2010

I do too r3. I was just kind of hoping he might come to his senses - he is very gay friendly and kudos to him.

On his site he refers to girlfriends, but...there's a vibe about him.

by Anonymousreply 504/01/2010

Wow, a bisexual actress who isn't an automatic embarassment.

by Anonymousreply 604/01/2010

Top kudos for Anna!

But I'm sure the DL vultures who tastelessly trash her acting and or idiotically insist bisexuality doesn't exist (because it certainly isn't consistent with their own sexuality so it must therefore be imaginary - as if that were the test) will descend on this thread soon.

by Anonymousreply 704/01/2010

r7 her acting is precisely that - a matter of taste. If you like it good. I like True Blood but cannot agree that she is anything other than a very average actress - she does seem to have that weird mouth chewing under control.

by Anonymousreply 804/01/2010

If she was in a relationship with a woman she would never have outed herself.

by Anonymousreply 904/01/2010

I'm sure dreamy, sexy hunk Stephen Moyer will be more than equipped to make her forget any former nasty muff-diving business.

by Anonymousreply 1004/01/2010

She needs a career.

by Anonymousreply 1104/01/2010

Oh, right, r11, Anna Paquin needs a career.

99.9% of all working actors would kill for her career.

by Anonymousreply 1204/01/2010

Exactly, R9. But personally I think i'ts just a publicity stunt. Season 3 of True Blood is coming and her character is not exactly popular. Nothing like mention of girl-on-girl action to keep the male fans interested.

by Anonymousreply 1304/01/2010

Ugh, I hate April Fools Day.

by Anonymousreply 1404/01/2010

Oh right, R12.

by Anonymousreply 1504/01/2010

Why is it that these actresses (and lady gaga) always proclaim their bisexuality but, never seem to be with women? I think in their world bisexual means they have found a woman attractive once in their lives.

by Anonymousreply 1604/01/2010

Great just what we need another actress claiming to be "bisexual".

The day these so-called bisexual actresses actually walk up the red carpet holding hands with their girlfriend and declare their love for their girlfriend as much as they visually declare their love for their many boyfriends I will start respecting them. Until then, screw them all.

by Anonymousreply 1704/01/2010

A bisexual woman engaged to a man.

Sounds about right.

by Anonymousreply 1804/01/2010

r12 If it ever gets released, the movie "Margaret" is supposedly a sure fire Oscar nominiation for Paquin. It has been held up in litigation between the writer and the studio for the past 2-3 years. Supposed to be an outstanding film according to movie insiders.

As far as her declaration of bisexuality, hello....I think the number of exclusively gay or straight actors is very small. The majority of actors I've come across are bisexual. In order to be an actor, you must be open to all things. Otherwise you are not doing justice to your craft. Sexuality is only one of those things.

by Anonymousreply 1904/01/2010

Because it gets them attention, R16. It's too spark interest in a failing career. Anna Paquin peaked in 1993. But, if proclaiming she is bisexual gets her name out there and gets her work, then good for her. Hopefully it works.

by Anonymousreply 2004/01/2010

Her face already spilled the details a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 2104/01/2010

[quote]The majority of actors I've come across are bisexual. In order to be an actor, you must be open to all things. Otherwise you are not doing justice to your craft.

I wonder what a real bisexual person would think of this. Seems slightly offensive.

by Anonymousreply 2204/01/2010

[quote]I think in their world bisexual means they have found a woman attractive once in their lives.

That's exactly it. They're so boring.

by Anonymousreply 2304/01/2010

Chicks claim to be bi all the time--because they love the attention from straight men. Check out the lyrics of Xtina's new single, where she's singing about kissin on all the boys and kissin on all the girls.

Boring and old. I'm surprised that DLers think Paquin is sincere.

by Anonymousreply 2404/01/2010

R24, she's not sincere.

by Anonymousreply 2504/01/2010

R22, I think there could generally said to be a 'no boundaries' mentality in both cases.

by Anonymousreply 2604/01/2010

Bisexual people have boundaries, R26.

by Anonymousreply 2704/01/2010

How nice of her to claim to be bisexual on an equality campaign yet is about to enjoy all the rights and privileges of being straight married?

by Anonymousreply 2804/01/2010

Your position is just as insulting as women who pretend to be bisexual just for attention, r24. Sure, some women are looking for attention, but there are others who are genuinely bisexual. Scientific studies have shown that women are more fluid in their sexuality than men. It's not always about doing things for the attention of straight men.

by Anonymousreply 2904/01/2010

[quote]If she was in a relationship with a woman she would never have outed herself.

I agree with you. Though, in the end she didn't have to say anything at all and she did. Anyway, when was the last time a (male) actor talked about his bisexuality?

by Anonymousreply 3004/01/2010

Bisexuality in men rarely exists, R30. When a man says he's bi he's really saying he's gay and doesn't want to admit it.

by Anonymousreply 3104/01/2010

Our first openly bisexual Oscar winner?

by Anonymousreply 3204/01/2010

This I'm bisexual thing is so 1988. I went through a period like that then.(you know look at me look at me I'm bi....I only date man but I'm bi!)

by Anonymousreply 3304/01/2010

[quote]Our first openly bisexual Oscar winner?

Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 3404/01/2010

I think it's pretty dam cool of her to do this. Maybe I will finally start watching true blood.

by Anonymousreply 3504/01/2010

Not being able to have a good enough relationship with another woman to feel comfortable hauling her around to events to be gawked at and maligned (which is what HAPPENS to the girlfriend of any star - gay or straight) does not make her a liar. She has come out officially by saying it - which should be brave enough to count as not being closeted.

I sort of agree that she probably would not have come out if she had been in a relationship with a woman. Unless that woman was already in the spotlight and ready and willing to face the attention and malice that goes with being 'the girlfriend.' (Married relationships are different - we are surprisingly less vicious to frumpy spouses to the stars; Giving them almost as much credit and distance as we do to men who end up in relationships with famous people.)

I know a number of actors who are not bisexual. Being an actor does not actually change you into some sort of fluid, shape-shifting personality in your real life. In my limited experience, the ones with the most range and conviction are also the ones who are the most grounded and stable themselves. Furthermore THAT is not what makes people bisexual. Being bisexual just means that you are or have been sexually attracted to people of both genders.

Being bisexual does not mean that you lack boundaries or a sense of self. It doesn't mean that you automatically want every relationship to be an open one.

She obviously felt strongly enough about the message to want to stand up and say something. She is famous enough that they wanted to include her. Pretty cool.

I love Wanda Sykes.

by Anonymousreply 3604/01/2010

It's a wonder she's not totally lesbian after all the hours spent practicing the blocking in Harvey Keitel's nude scene in 'The Piano'.

by Anonymousreply 3704/01/2010

Thanks, I'll pass

by Anonymousreply 3804/01/2010

Dude, Anna Paquin orders the surf AND turf, cool.

by Anonymousreply 3904/01/2010

[quote]Scientific studies have shown that women are more fluid in their sexuality than men.

LOL. Still beating that old drum, eh.

by Anonymousreply 4004/01/2010

I'm with R38. She's fugly. Why doesn't she at least fix her teeth?

by Anonymousreply 4104/01/2010

It was just announced on a TV gossip show that 5 more actors will come out as bi or gay...WOW!

by Anonymousreply 4204/01/2010

This sounds like all the 1970s coeds who said they "didn't believe in labels" and sometimes made out with other girls when drunk. Oooh I'm such a free spirit!

by Anonymousreply 4404/01/2010

If you're a woman you are either bisexual or lesbian. Studies done on female sexuality have shown women regardless of sexuality get aroused by other women yet because of heterosexual conventions women don't state their sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 4504/01/2010

I think it's very sweet of her but I don't believe it for a minute. It's very trendy these days for international girl starlets to claim to be bi.

But the sentiment is nice.

by Anonymousreply 4604/01/2010

Who cares what that ugly, gap-toothed bitch thinks.

by Anonymousreply 4704/01/2010

"There's no such thing as bi" - non bi-sexual person

get over yourself, cliche mary

by Anonymousreply 4804/01/2010

r42, did they say when?

by Anonymousreply 4904/01/2010

What is up with her two front teeth? damn

by Anonymousreply 5004/01/2010

For ll the different negative opinions expressed here, the word on the internet about her PSA has led to the servers at the site crashing all day long.

by Anonymousreply 5104/01/2010

Anna Paquin's gap teeth are part of her trademark, she will not change her teeth.

by Anonymousreply 5204/02/2010

Sheesh, if she really wants to shock, try playing the piano and being mute!

by Anonymousreply 5304/02/2010

Cynthia Nixon and Lindsay Blowhan are the only two bisexuals who were brave enough to show off their gf to the public.

The other so-called are bisexual hypocrites are all talk but no show.

by Anonymousreply 5404/02/2010

"It was just announced on a TV gossip show that 5 more actors will come out as bi or gay...WOW!"

We need more details, which TV gossip show?

by Anonymousreply 5504/02/2010

Ryan Seacrest (bi)

Abe Vigoda (gay)

Jesse James (bi)

Dana Delaney (bi)

Jennifer Love Hewitt (bi)

by Anonymousreply 5704/02/2010

Well I think it's just grand that she's come out publicly. I'm sure she's a much happier person since she did it.

Now, can someone please tell me just who the fuck this damn bisexual bitch is?

by Anonymousreply 5804/02/2010

[quote]Now, can someone please tell me just who the fuck this damn bisexual bitch is?

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 5904/03/2010

Let's face it, for the majority of women, if they want to experience an actual orgasm with another person, they have to be bi-sexual.

by Anonymousreply 6004/04/2010

I love how DL has collectively decided that Anna Paquin doesn't have nice enough teeth to be bisexual. And you people wonder why you got no civil rights.

Way to go, girls!

by Anonymousreply 6104/04/2010

My 5

Christopher Meloni(gay)

Mariska Hargitay(gay)

Dana Delany(gay)

Stana Katic(gay)

Stephanie March(bi)

Yeah, I know the first two will never publicly come out but it's nice to think they might want to now that SVU is ending.

by Anonymousreply 6204/04/2010

You know, I thought from the jump that her relationship with her co-star was complete p.r. fabrication. Say what you will about her appearance, but he looks old enough to be her father. And the whole thing smacks of fangurl wish fulfillment. And now she's coming out as bi? When will Stephen Moyers come out?

by Anonymousreply 6304/04/2010

Why can't it be someonehot like Monica Bellucci who comes out.

It would make my day, week, no month to see someone like Bellucci walk hand in hand down the redcarpet with a female lover whom she happens to love deeply and passionately.

by Anonymousreply 6404/04/2010

I'm bisexual, and I give a damn."

Anna Paquin Shows Off Her Engagement Ring

Honey your marring a man. So unless you plan on being a swinger & bringing women into your relationship.

Your not Bi anymore!

by Anonymousreply 6504/04/2010

r65, a person is bi as long as they are attracted to both sexes, even if they are in a monogamous relationship with someone.

Sexuality isn't so much about behavior as it is about attraction.

Also, it's "you're" and not "your" in this instance.

by Anonymousreply 6704/06/2010

Amen r65

by Anonymousreply 6804/12/2010

Anna Paquin: My Bisexuality 'Is Not Made Up' Despite Being Married To Stephen Moyer

"I'm sure for some people saying they’re bisexual feels less scary than making a statement that they're gay," Paquin -- who is married to her "True Blood" co-star Stephen Moyer -- tells Zooey magazine in a new interview. "For me, it’s not really an issue because I’m someone who believes being bisexual is actually a thing. It’s not made up. It’s not a lack of decision."

She continues, "It’s not being greedy or numerous other ignorant things I’ve heard at this point. For a bisexual, it’s not about gender. That’s not the deciding factor for who they’re attracted to."

Paquin declared her bisexuality in a public service announcement called "Give A Damn," released shortly before she married Moyer in 2010. (You can watch that video above). Her quotes have since been republished by the Daily Mail and the New York Post, among other publications.

Now calling her sexuality a "really minor biographical detail," she went on to note, "If you’re going to talk about some cause in a way that’s meaningful, you should identify why it means something to you."

by Anonymousreply 6903/02/2013

She is ok, why you hate her?

by Anonymousreply 7003/03/2013

R65, you're sexuality is about who you are sexually attracted to, not who you are having sex with. Why do so many on the DL have such a problem with this concept?

Homophobes hate bi women just as much as they hate gay men. I don't know where this myth has come from that being female and bi is so much more acceptable.

Good on AP for coming out. It would have been so much easier for her to have said nothing.

by Anonymousreply 7103/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.