Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

June Havoc has died

RIP Baby June

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 31, 2010 9:41 PM

boy she sure lasted a lot longer than gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2010 9:23 PM

My recolllectionsz of her will be posted later this evning on the West Coast Bored jist as soon as I pollish off ths bottle of gin.

by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2010 9:28 PM

R.I.P.

by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2010 9:29 PM

She was 95yrs old. Wow. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2010 9:36 PM

Now she'll finally be pushing up roses for her and for us.

by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2010 9:37 PM

Classic, hilarious Whats My Line. She was so charming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 28, 2010 9:40 PM

Gypsy's waiting for her at the pearly gates - never fear June, Mama's roasting on a spit in the other place.

by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2010 9:47 PM

June was only two years younger than her sister and outlived her by 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2010 9:55 PM

Actually R2, you recollection has already been posted:

[quote] She was a wonderful and very funny woman. Her zingers were hilarious. She never took herself seriously. I first meet her at Bray Studios in England in 56. She was filming a television series called "The Errol Flynn Mystery Theatre" that was not shown in this country. Over the years I would see her in Hollywood where she did a lot of television work at CBS Studios and other studios though out lalaland. A great gal and oh so smart.

by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2010 9:57 PM

Let her entertain you - she will do some tricks!

by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2010 10:08 PM

She didn't like the portrayal of her in "Gypsy." I don't blame her.

by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2010 10:22 PM

R6, that hardly seemed fair that Bennet Cerf got it based on recognizing her voice. She certainly was amusing, though.

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2010 10:23 PM

She sent Leigh Ann Larkin a turd in a box during the last Broadway revival.

by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2010 10:27 PM

Did she still own that little town in Connecticut?

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2010 10:29 PM

I was surprised to learn that Bennet Cerf was an editor/publisher. I'd always assumed he was a comic actor (that voice). In my defence, I only know What's My Line from YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2010 10:31 PM

[quote] She sent Leigh Ann Larkin a turd in a box during the last Broadway revival.

Is that true? You'd think by now June would have been over it all....

by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2010 10:36 PM

I got it, opened it, closed it, and wrote a new nametag.

by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2010 10:40 PM

Extra! Extra! DAINTY JUNE DEAD!

by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2010 10:41 PM

[quote]I was surprised to learn that Bennet Cerf was an editor/publisher.

That settles it. I AM older than dirt.

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2010 10:52 PM

well this sure plays havoc with my death pool guesses.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2010 10:58 PM

A few years back, I put together a website showing all the women I like and got a nice note from Miss June's personal assistant saying that J was happy to be a part of my project.

A nice lady -- May She Rest in Peace.

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2010 11:00 PM

Moo!

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2010 11:01 PM

MU-MU-MU-MOO, LOUISE!

by Anonymousreply 23March 28, 2010 11:30 PM

Does anyone know if June's daughter was Broadway actress April Shawhan who was in Over Here and the Sam Waterson/Kathleen Widdoes Much Ado About Nothing, both in the early 70s?

I say "was" because I believe Ms Shawhan died several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2010 1:56 AM

If you can find a library copy of her autobiography "Early Havoc" it's well worth the read. Unfortunately out of print now. It covers her childhood and vaudeville career prior to Hollywood. Best of all there's a harrowing detailed account of a marathon dance she participated in when she couldn't get any other work. Unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2010 2:18 AM

I'm reading it right now, R25. I ordered it used online a couple of years ago along with her 2nd book, More Havoc, and hadn't gotten around to reading it until today.

by Anonymousreply 26March 29, 2010 2:41 AM

That's funny, OP, because I saw Patti Lupone die on stage, playing her mother.

by Anonymousreply 27March 29, 2010 2:46 AM

I got my copy of "Early Havoc" at a used book store, and it's a terrific read. There are some hilarious anecdotes, and her harrowing account of a marathon dance still gives me the shivers.

RIP, June!

by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2010 3:58 AM

OK, just googled April Shawhan and she is very much alive and teaching acting at UCLA so big apologies there to her and any friends and relations!

Though apparently June did have a daughter named April who predeceased her.

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2010 1:11 PM

Rst n pc, bby jne

by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2010 1:26 PM

maybe the "thank God it was just Russia" troll would like to weigh in here that "thank God it was just Baby June"

by Anonymousreply 31March 29, 2010 1:28 PM

Why would the account of a dance marathon give anyone the "shivers"? Unless you were the biggest Mary of all time?

by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2010 2:33 PM

Because, R32, the "dance marathons" were staged events with mostly ringers as participants that had to put up with horrible conditions for the little money they made.

by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2010 2:44 PM

Does this mean that "Marathon '33" will eventually be produced? I have been involved in two productions of the play. Both times the rights were pulled. Once for no reason, the other time, because there was going to be a musical version (what eventually became "Steel Pier?"

by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2010 2:46 PM

Close, but not quite R33. The events were rigged in the favor of the promoter. If you were to win, the promoter deducted every bit of food, foot massage, or any other expense he could think of so that you actually owed him money at the end.

by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2010 2:52 PM

There was a great reading of "Marathon '33" about 2 years ago done by the Abingdon Theater Company at their June Havoc Theater on the West Side. The play really works, but June said at the time she still wanted to tweak it - 40 years after it had been originally produced!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 29, 2010 2:53 PM

are you reading Havoc's account right now as I am R35? If not then stfu.

by Anonymousreply 37March 29, 2010 2:55 PM

Why do a fake mlop when the real mlop is so much better than any fake mlop could be:

I am so sad I am still heartbroken on the passing of Claiborne Cary last week. who was a very close friend, and just a week later the passing of June Havoc.

I knew June who I worked with several times on Lyrics and Lyricists. She was a special caring lady. She lived in Connecticut and had a farm in which she tendered and cared for homeless and abused animals. There were goats, horses, cows, dogs etc. It was a wonderful haven.

Every year at Christmas time she had the blessing of the animals at her home. After it was over her friends and a bunch of us would go inside and eat lunch with beautifully prepared sandwiches and all. Her home was a testament to her career and there were amazing memorabilia all over the home. It needs to be put into a museum for everyone to see.

I haven't seen her over 12 years or so, since she moved out of that area and I assume gave up the far.

You must read her two books, "Early Havoc" and "More Havoc". It is another side of Gypsy and her life. Every once is a while they pop at stand, the early one is a collector's item and harder to find.

Condolences to all and to her wonderful assistant, Tana, who is such a doll.. We both celebrate the same birthday (not year, Decemeber 22)

RIP

Maryann

by Anonymousreply 38March 29, 2010 3:04 PM

R33-

Have you read "More Havoc"? If not, STFU.

by Anonymousreply 39March 29, 2010 3:06 PM

Now girls - you're both pretty....

by Anonymousreply 40March 29, 2010 3:11 PM

R40,Momma Rose would never had said something like that. If you haven't read "Stripping Gypsy", STFU.

by Anonymousreply 41March 29, 2010 3:21 PM

She will forever be remembered as Steve Guttenberg's mother in the 1980 classic "Can't Stop The Music" uttering the immortal phrase "Don't touch that, Jackie. It'll give you the trots".

by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2010 3:53 PM

She actually liked her mother (although she admitted she was "lethal") and thought the musical misrepresented Rose Hovek as shrill and harsh when she was actually charming and adorable most of the time.

by Anonymousreply 43March 30, 2010 4:06 PM

I ALWAYS got her mixed up with June Haver (Mrs. Fred MacMurray), even though they were nothing alike.

Now they're both dead. Damn, I'm old.

by Anonymousreply 44March 30, 2010 4:38 PM

[quote] She actually liked her mother (although she admitted she was "lethal") and thought the musical misrepresented Rose Hovek as shrill and harsh when she was actually charming and adorable most of the time.

That's what you get when you cast the likes of Merman. Shrill and Harsh are her middle names.

At least Roz Russel, in the movie version, did employ a bit of charm when required.

by Anonymousreply 45March 30, 2010 4:53 PM

I've always thought the best was Lansbury because she genuinely was charming as well as crazy. Merman, LuPone, Daly, even Russell... all were too harsh and shrill.

by Anonymousreply 46March 30, 2010 11:49 PM

Havoc described her mother as pretty and superficially sweet - with curly blonde hair and big blue eyes (more like Bernadette Peters than Ethel Merman). She said that Rose got away with so much crap because people couldn't believe that such a cute young woman could really be so freaky and dishonest.

The dragonlike Rose of stage and screen isn't all that accurate.

by Anonymousreply 47March 31, 2010 3:29 PM

I hope to GOD that June didn't see what that monster LuPone did with her mother last year.

by Anonymousreply 48March 31, 2010 4:08 PM

Honey at 95, she probably didn't see much of anything.

by Anonymousreply 49March 31, 2010 4:24 PM

June was a huge animal rights activist. Lots of rescued animals of all sorts on her farm.

by Anonymousreply 50March 31, 2010 5:20 PM

[quote]I ALWAYS got her mixed up with June Haver (Mrs. Fred MacMurray), even though they were nothing alike.

Me, too. I was busted for it right here on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 51March 31, 2010 5:34 PM

Even though they died forty years apart many of the headlines billed her as "Gypsy Rose Lee's sister."

by Anonymousreply 52March 31, 2010 5:52 PM

June collapsed after watching this video. She sadly died a couple of hours later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 31, 2010 6:39 PM

Don't buy the bullshit. She was an actor. She wanted fame and the limelight. There's no way she didn't appreciate the fact her family is immortalized with that show. I would certainly bet she was more grateful it existed than not.

by Anonymousreply 54March 31, 2010 6:42 PM

That clip at r50 is hilarious. This is what it sounds like:

"SAWWWMMM PEEEH-pl NYGAAAWNN-nit namm MAYYKed PAYYYY...

SAWWWMMM PEEEH-pl CAMMMM EEmun NYGIIIIMMmid AWAYYYYY...

Dus PEHHH-pl's NYGAAAWNN-nit, nun dus PEEEH-pl's SHPRENNNIT uh-ROWWWWWN...

Nyuh-YEETHer HAFFFIT... stop, stop, STOP!"

by Anonymousreply 55March 31, 2010 6:55 PM

Obit with from the Stamford (CT) newspaper, where she lived from 1990 until her death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 31, 2010 7:02 PM

Damn! I'd have loved to have seen her play Mrs. Lovett!

by Anonymousreply 57March 31, 2010 9:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!