Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I don''t like the taste of alcohol

My neighbor made me some chocolate mousse with alcohol and eventhough it is very sweet of her, I can't fucking stand the taste.

Alcohol always ruins everything. It tastes so very bitter and everything tastes the same. I hardly taste the chocolate in the mousse. I can not taste the difference between wine and champagne and beer for christ sake! I'm a teetotaler against my will.

Does anyone have the same "problem"?

by Anonymousreply 5103/02/2010

No, you are alone in the world and a freak.

by Anonymousreply 102/22/2010

Maybe she is using too much. I cook with wine a lot especially in sauces. Chocolate mousse is best with a teensy bit of coffee in it only.

by Anonymousreply 202/22/2010

OP, I'm the same way. I can't stand alcohol in my food unless it's been cooked off.

by Anonymousreply 302/22/2010

I love hard booze and I wouldn't dream of putting alcohol in chocolate mousse. Ewww.

by Anonymousreply 402/22/2010

Yeah, sounds like too much was used. It's supposed to add flavor, not overwhelm whatever it's being added to.

by Anonymousreply 502/22/2010

I love to drink, but I can't stand the taste of alcohol in desserts.

by Anonymousreply 602/22/2010

Rubbing alcohol is supposed to taste bad.

by Anonymousreply 702/22/2010

I love my booze too but can't stand it in "desserts". Let me have my cake, then we'll talk about drinks afterward.

Not tasting the difference between wine and beer is weird, though. Never mind taste, they just feel different.

by Anonymousreply 802/22/2010

Booze taste awful...that's why you mix it. Wine taste bad until you take a few gulps...then it taste fine and you can finish the bottle.

by Anonymousreply 902/22/2010

How can you hate a rum ball. It makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2010

I vote freak, too. Get a blood test, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1102/22/2010

I really don't like the taste of alcohol either.

My BF is a straight whiskey and cognac drinker and it makes me just sick.

by Anonymousreply 1202/22/2010

Is your neighbor named Minnie? I doubt that was alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 1302/22/2010

[quote] Get a blood test, OP.

Testing for what?

[quote] Not tasting the difference between wine and beer is weird, though. Never mind taste, they just feel different.

I can 'feel' that they are different, but not taste it. Last Christmas I had a soup made from white wine and a mousse made from champagne. They tasted exactly the same to me.

And I think the amount of alcohol in the mousse is just right (for a normal person), but to me it makes a huge difference.

[quote] Chocolate mousse is best with a teensy bit of coffee in it only.

I don't like coffee either

by Anonymousreply 1402/22/2010

I don't mind alcohol, it's the chalky undertaste that I can't stand. My husband claims I find something wrong with everything, but I had terrible dreams after that chocolate mousse with the chalky undertaste.

by Anonymousreply 1502/22/2010

OP, I can't stand the taste of alcohol either. I sometimes have a glass of wine and most often I don't finish it. Same thing with a margarita. It is all bitter and acidic to me. Beer is the most god taste in the world. I don't know how anyone can like that shit. It smells like a skunk and tastes like one too. One of the reasons I don't drink very often is because I really just don't have a drink that I am fond of. It's either too sweet or too bitter. There's nothing that's in between the two.

So no, you're not alone.

by Anonymousreply 1602/22/2010

I really wish that I didn't like the taste of alcohol. I actually hate beer, and am not a huge fan of hard alcohol...but ooooh do I love the taste of wine, and drink it every night. Cheap champagne tastes like beer to me, so I won't touch that either.

by Anonymousreply 1702/22/2010

I do adore the taste of semen, though.

by Anonymousreply 1802/22/2010

I'm with you, OP. I hate the taste of alcohol in general. I do cook with wine or beer occasionally, and I can handle the taste if it isn't too overpowering. But I don't like beer, wine or spirits on their own. Apart from a sip of champagne at New Years, I don't drink at all, and I haven't for over 20 years now.

by Anonymousreply 1902/22/2010

I'm a teatotaler too, OP. I've never liked the taste of alcohol nor do I care for the smell. I have a sweet tooth big time so I've wondered if it has something to do with my preference for sweets. I like coffee icecream, but am not a coffee drinker. I may have a cup or two a year with lots of sugar and cream. Alcohol, on the otherhand, I couldn't fathom. It is repulsive to my palate.

by Anonymousreply 2002/22/2010

I don't understand how anyone can drink beer or ale. Swill is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 2102/22/2010

[quote]Last Christmas I had a soup made from white wine and a mousse made from champagne. They tasted exactly the same to me.

Well, cooking with them is different. Of course there will be little perceptible difference since the heat denatures it and burns off the alcohol. Were you walking about alcohol in food only?

by Anonymousreply 2202/22/2010

[quote]I have a sweet tooth big time so I've wondered if it has something to do with my preference for sweets.

Usually the two go hand in hand. The body will crave the empty calories. Sweets and alcohol work on the same nerve receptors. Same for smoking. It's why there's that drug which is used for both diet and smoking cessation. It's some sort of anti-depressant. I forget the name.

by Anonymousreply 2302/22/2010

I hate the taste of alcohol. I used to drink it for the buzz, to loosen-up and/or fit in. After a year booze-free, a few times, I tried to have a glass of merlot or cabernet that I used to drink a lot - it tasted terrible. I couldn't believe I used to drink the stuff all the time. Now - I would much rather have a glass of Welch's grape juice - that's delicious.

by Anonymousreply 2402/22/2010

I hate alcohol, too, and don't understand why people put that crap down their gullet. There have been a couple vodka drinks I've enjoyed, only because I didn't really taste any alcohol. I think one was some Hawaiian Punch/vodka combo drink. I'm 37, and if someone told me I would never be able to drink any alcohol ever again, it wouldn't bother me one bit.

by Anonymousreply 2502/22/2010

I bet all you people who don't like the taste of alcohol have picky food issues too.

by Anonymousreply 2602/22/2010

r24: I LOVE grape juice too! Fermentation ruins it.

by Anonymousreply 2702/22/2010

I'm not a picky eater. I like trying new things. Food is one of the great joys of life.

I'm not sure if R23 is insinuating that the alcohol averse are more likely or less likely to like sweets and smoke but I don't have much of a sweet tooth (a normal level of desire for sweets) and I can't stand smoking at all. It stinks.

by Anonymousreply 2802/22/2010

[quote]Rubbing alcohol is supposed to taste bad.

Let's just say it's an acquired taste.

by Anonymousreply 2902/22/2010

R20 here. I love grapejuice too~ I also love orange juice.

by Anonymousreply 3002/22/2010

God, please may I never get trapped in an elevator with any of you.

by Anonymousreply 3102/22/2010

Are you Asian or American Indian? Maybe you have trouble with your ability, because of a missense polymorphism, to encode the acetaldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme, which usually helps breaking down acetaldehyde, a product of the metabolism of alcohol. Do you turn red and "flush" when you drink?

Or are you just a pisspot?

by Anonymousreply 3202/22/2010

Just like food, cheap bear, spirits and wine won't have much flavor.

by Anonymousreply 3302/22/2010

I thought really good vodka was supposed to taste like nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3402/22/2010

I'm with r33. I think most of you are used to drinking cheap wine and beer. I always thought I hated beer until I had this amazing domestic brew in Montreal one time. I can't remember the name of it, but it was a dark ale, and it was just heaven. If I could get my hands on that all the time, I would have a massive beer gut and one wrecked liver.

by Anonymousreply 3502/22/2010

I get hot flashes if I drink alcohol. I am Irish American and half my family were alcoholics, the other half couldn't touch alcohol because it gave them such bad reflux they threw up.

I guess it's like that thin line between genius and madness, only with alcohol.

Or something like that....

by Anonymousreply 3602/22/2010

[quote]I thought really good vodka was supposed to taste like nothing.

It doesn't taste like nothing, but it doesn't taste like paint thinner.

by Anonymousreply 3702/22/2010

i agree OP. I dislike the taste of alcohol. Aside from chapagne every now and then, i don't drink liquor at all. if i'm out with friends, i'll order a beer or order a drink and just pretend to take a sip here and there.

by Anonymousreply 3802/22/2010

I dislike the taste of alcohol, but love the effect. After a couple, the alcohol taste disappears.

by Anonymousreply 3902/22/2010

It is gross.

by Anonymousreply 4002/25/2010

This thread has gone from juvenile to infantile. Thanks juice lovers!

by Anonymousreply 4102/25/2010

Me hate taste beer. Wine good, fire bad. Alcohol taste like fire too.

by Anonymousreply 4202/25/2010

Smell you R41: Oh My - people who drink nasty poisonous alcoholic beverages are so sophisticated and grown-up... While you're at it, smoke a cigarette too. Alcohol - I'm so over it.

by Anonymousreply 4302/25/2010

[quote]Smell you R41:

And now we're back up to juvenile. Thanks, R43!

by Anonymousreply 4402/25/2010

OP, a lot people hate the taste of alcohol. That's why you have mixers. Most people drink for the effect and to fit in so that people like r43 won't laugh at them.

by Anonymousreply 4502/25/2010

Yuck!

by Anonymousreply 4602/25/2010

Alcohol can really ruin a good meal. I don't like the flavor either.

by Anonymousreply 4702/25/2010

Me neither. And yet I drink it every night...

by Anonymousreply 4803/01/2010

I find the taste of alcohol repulsive - seriously. I can't even taste it, I have to spit it out. It tastes like turpentine and burns. Beer smells like piss to me.

by Anonymousreply 4903/01/2010

I feel like this crowd is ready to take up pitchforks and torches and head for the nearest liquor store! Mama, I'm afeared!

by Anonymousreply 5003/02/2010

I'm at best pretty indifferent to alcohol. At a bar, I'll usually try to suss out the weakest, wateriest beer, or a drink with lots of ice and water or filler of some sort (and hope that the bartender doesn't do me a "favor" in strengthening my drink.) There are a few drinks that are alright but most are pretty awful. I never crave a drink, and would only ever think to drink in social situations.

In food, alcohol is fine if it's been used in moderation and "cooked out," and there are a few exceptions that I like, usually deserts like baba au rhum or crepes with Grand Marnier. More commonly, though, I'd just as soon you kept the heavy splashs of booze out of my food.

by Anonymousreply 5103/02/2010
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!