Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

David Ogden Stiers\\n

I'm a tad confused. When Stiers came out, in an interview with an LGBT blog, Gossip Boy (he apparently thought the interviewer was with The Advocate), it was news. Then ABC News picked it up, cited Gossip Boy, but wrote at the end of the article:

[quote]"I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love," he told People magazine in 2006.

So is that nuts, or true? Did Stiers come out to People in 2006? Does anyone remember that?

by Anonymousreply 1302/21/2010

Bump

by Anonymousreply 102/21/2010

Bump, indeed. Up until a couple years ago, whenever he was interviewed, he would always deny he was gay whether the question came up or not. He had the same attitude regarding people who asked him about "MASH". He would sniff and say, Is that ALL you can ask about?" But if someone didn't ask about "MASH" he would get furious, so there was no way to win with him. He's very smart, has a great voice, but an ego way, way out of proportion.

by Anonymousreply 202/21/2010

Here's an amusing thing: the interview was a fraud. Complete and utter. It never happened.

Stiers is gay, and when the "interview" appeared, he was gobsmacked.

He evaded and/or denied it for years, and probably would have continued to do so, but for the phoney interview.

On the other hand, there was something fairly disgusting about the fact that Gossip Boy's "interview" was picked up by various media outlets, but never verified by either Stiers or his representatives.

I am not applauding all those years that Stiers lied, but Gossip Boy lied - claiming an interview had occurred that had not occurred, and there was nothing Stiers could do about it.

Yes, he hates talking about MASH. However, ask him about almost anything else, and he is pretty damned chatty.

by Anonymousreply 302/21/2010

But what about that ABC News quote from a 2006 People Magazine interview? Did it ever happen?

And R3, does he talk about being gay, now that Gossip Boy outed him?

And what of the "lengthy friendship with [Wayne 'Gossip Boy' Fuller's] associate James"? Lovers?

Did Fuller know Stiers personally? He seems to have caught the cadence of his voice.

by Anonymousreply 402/21/2010

Would he talk about his role in Better Off Dead if I asked him politely?

by Anonymousreply 502/21/2010

The PEOPLE mag quote is a complete fiction.

I cannot know what someone else is thinking, but for Gossip Boy's false interview, I believe Stiers would have gone to his grave closeted.

He will talk about being gay now that Gossip Boy has outed him, but who the Hell cares?

Gossip Boy did know Stiers, though I don't think they were ever lovers. But yes, when I read the interview, and I know Stiers, I thought it was genuine, and was pretty surprised when I saw it.

Stiers assured me that he had not given the interview (he knew that I knew he was gay), and it really made no sense that Stiers would have given that kind of interview to a nobody. If he was going to give it to Gossip Boy (who the Hell is he?) why give it at all?

by Anonymousreply 602/21/2010

He always looked like a clown.

by Anonymousreply 702/21/2010

Um, crew? Read the article.

That quote is from Neil Patrick Harris.

by Anonymousreply 802/21/2010

The OP's statement and the following posts are about as confusing as can be. That's why there are so few responses. Can someone break this all down into plain English?

by Anonymousreply 902/21/2010

[quote]The OP's statement and the following posts are about as confusing as can be. That's why there are so few responses. Can someone break this all down into plain English?

He read the Gossip Boy article, then the ABC News article to which he linked, but he mistook the quote at the end of the article for something David Ogden Stiers said, when it was in fact a quote from Neil Patrick Harris.

The other responses are about the Gossip Boy article, and the revelation that it was a fake interview (Stiers never gave any such interview, it was all made up), but that since he was effectively outed, he now discusses being gay, though he isn't terribly happy about it, apparently.

R9, I really don't think any of this was very confusing if you'd taken the trouble to read the thread carefully.

by Anonymousreply 1002/21/2010

Not confusing, really. Just very poorly written.

by Anonymousreply 1102/21/2010

Why would anyone confuse Neil Patrick Harris and David Ogden Stiers? Is it because they each have 3 names?

by Anonymousreply 1202/21/2010

OP--and apparently everyone else in the thread until R8--got confused because the end of the article is really poorly written, as R11 pointed out.

by Anonymousreply 1302/21/2010
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!