Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shirley Booth was a Lesbian?

Someone mentioned Shirley Booth being a lesbian in one of the many Meredith Baxter threads and I thought it deserved its own thread.

I just read a biography of her called "Love is the Reason for It All" and there is certainly no mention of it in that book. The volume does talk about her two marriages to men though. However, I should add that, while interesting, the book was released by a small press and has the feel of a vanity publication. Plus the author states in the introduction that he doesn't like hatchet job biographies and seems to be hinting that he left out some negative stuff. (Not that lesbianism is "negative," but he might have perceived it as such.)

Otherwise the book provides some interesting info on Booth's Broadway career and there is a lot of stuff about Hazel. The oddest anecdote? Shirley loved watching TV and especially enjoyed children's programs. One day while watching Kukla, Fran, and Ollie she was actually kissed pressed her lips to the TV screen to kiss Kukla on the nose.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2010 5:20 AM

I knew Mrs. Shirley Booth-Baker very well- from time I was 12 years of age until her Death at age 94- I can assure you that Mrs. Booth-Baker was not a Lesbian. The best proof I can offer beyond my knowing her so long and so well is that, The (Ugh) Author of a pathetic Snow-Job of the cheapest and sadly easiest type of Tabloid Sexploitation "Hollywood Lesbians," by {Ugh} Boze (or as I prefer, Bozo) Hadleigh hasn't claimed to have elicited a long and indepth Confession from her for Publication upon her Death- as he [says, he did] with Marjorie Main, B. Stanwyck, S. Dennis and others! Since I also spoke weekly with Mrs. M. Main-Krebbs as a young man... I'd love to see Mr. Hadleigh produce Audio or Video Tape of these many Interviews- though, I'm not going to hold my breath on that uh... Miracle! Stars are sadly always fodder for chinzy wanna-be Tabloid Stars posing as "Confidants," in Death even moreso than in life- when they can at least confirm or refute any claims made about them regardless of what that claim may be.

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2010 5:14 AM

She won the triple prize in acting, an Oscar, Emmy & Tony Award

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2010 5:19 AM

Mo way was Marjorie (Ma Kettle) Main gay.

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2010 5:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!