Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People who thought Y2K was the end of the world

Where are they today?

Are they still eating the soup and mac and cheese they stocked up on?

And what about the crazies who think the US economy is ending now...don't they realize they are just the same crazy?

by Anonymousreply 2610/26/2009

Didn't some of them buy matching sneakers, and then commit mass suicide, somewhere in San Diego?

That said, even I wasn't scared of Y2K.

But I DO think that this economy is fucked beyond repair.

I think the two are mutually exclusive, because we really DID almost come to the brink of worldwide economic collapse in 2008.

BIG difference.

by Anonymousreply 110/24/2009

Oh by the way, OP.

You really did set up a false equivalency.

by Anonymousreply 210/24/2009

Those same people think the world will now end in 2012.

by Anonymousreply 310/24/2009

Those same people think there is not enough marriage to go around, and if the gays get it, then there won't be enough left for straight people.

by Anonymousreply 410/24/2009

I made fun of the Y2K idiots but the economy is in extremely bad shape. Income taxes collected by the states for 2008 were down 22% from 2007 and will show another double digit decline in 2009. So when the whole country loses a third of its income in two years, we're not supposed to worry? We're supposed to be happy? We're supposed to say, "Don't worry about trade with China..." You know if the US government made like the Chinese and fixed the dollar at thirty to the Euro, we could destroy the French wine industry, couldn't we? But the French wouldn't let that happen, would they? But we let China do that to us under three presidents, one Clinton and two Bushes, who had closer ties to the Chinese leadership than they have ever had to any ordinary Americans.

The truth is that if there really were global free trade, there would virtually nothing crossing the ocean from China to the US. Trans-oceanic trade would be for a few high value items.

by Anonymousreply 510/24/2009

Amen R5.

by Anonymousreply 610/24/2009

The Y2K bug was the hoax of the millenium. I sat up late with my uncompliant PC waiting for eat to crash...nothing. No planes falling out of the sky, no power outages, NOTHING. Such an an anticlimax.

But they made a ton of cash though.

by Anonymousreply 710/25/2009

Sigh. No, it wasn't a hoax.

There really was a computer glitch that, if not fixed, would have created a lot of disasters, big and small.

Ever wonder why there was that huge tech boom? Because there was so much spending being pumped into fixing all those software systems. I know, because I was a part of it. For years, everything was about going over every line of code and searching for any two-digit-year problems, testing, fixing, ...

Ever wonder why the economy started slumping in 2000? Because all of a sudden, all those develoeprs and testers were no longer necessary... the problems were fixed. Tech bust!

Y2K was a very real thing. The fact that "nothing happened" doesn't mean it was a hoax, it means we met the crisis and solved it.

by Anonymousreply 810/25/2009

^^^ eat = it

by Anonymousreply 910/25/2009

They are completely fixated on 2012 now.

by Anonymousreply 1010/25/2009

R8 = Resume 80% Y2K related.

by Anonymousreply 1110/25/2009

There will be a similar problem in 2038. Unix uses a time value that is the number of seconds since 1971, and it over-flows at the end of 2037, or near abouts.

So expect there to be a panic around 2035 to ensure all critical Unix systems aren't going to be negatively affected by the value rolling over.

by Anonymousreply 1210/25/2009

The press did do a fearmongering job on that, but that doesn't mean it was a hoax.

And there are idiots who panic about anything and everything... but that doesn't mean it was a hoax either.

by Anonymousreply 1310/25/2009

Get ready. The Mayan Calendar say 2012 is the end.

by Anonymousreply 1410/25/2009

r14, how exactly should we get ready?

by Anonymousreply 1510/25/2009

R15...clean your house, get your financial affairs in order and buy lots of canned goods in case you survive.

by Anonymousreply 1610/25/2009

they working on the "world is ending in 2012" campaign now

by Anonymousreply 1710/25/2009

I think the economic climate is substantively different than Y2K.

The equivalent, as R17 points out, is the Mayan 2012 bullshit.

Though if the world does end in 2012, the economic crisis will be over (along with everything else).

by Anonymousreply 1810/25/2009

I still remember this weird TLC documentary about 2012 I saw. This woman's waffle Iron jumped at her in a dramatization of what could happen. & this guys computer began threatening him. lol.

by Anonymousreply 1910/25/2009

The Mayans did not fucking predict the end of the fucking world in 2012. They worked out the calendar well into the future (for them) past the year 2000, leaving it for others to work out the details beyond.

Go look at the calendar on your wall. When does it end? Maybe December 2009? Do you agree it would be absurd to say the calendar printers were predicting the end of the world then because that's when the calendar stops? OK, it's just as absurd to jump to conclusions about Mayan intentions about their calendar.

by Anonymousreply 2010/25/2009

OK, R19 made me laugh really loud. I suddenly felt compelled to Google 'waffle' and '2012' and found this:

[quote]More then ten years ago, my sister and I watched a program on Discovery Channel about Dec. 21, 2012. A nice family was enjoying a pre-Christmas dinner when suddenly, the tree fell over, the cat went nuts and attacked the mom, and the hot waffle iron leaped up and attached itself to the Dad's face. A stick figure deer became alive and attacked the little girl. My sister and I had tears of laughter streaming down our faces. Supposedly, animals and machines will rise up against their owners just as the Mayan calendar runs out. If you think this is going to happen, you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2110/25/2009

I found R19's [italic]2012: When Waffle Irons Attack![/italic] program on youtube:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2210/25/2009

omg r21/22 I love you.

by Anonymousreply 2310/26/2009

Who cares about that? SOAP THREADS ARE BACK ON DATALOUNGE!!

Suck my tit you fucking assholes who hate soaps!

I hope you choke on your boyfriends shit-stick!

SOAPS ARE BACK AT DATALOUNGE!

Guess webmaster WANTS more women to join!

by Anonymousreply 2410/26/2009

Y2K was the end of my world.

Bush stole the presidency.

Cheney seized power and allowed 9/11 to happen in order to put his PNAC propositions into place.

Two wars were started.

Government regulatory agencies were gutted and staffed by cronies.

TV turned into one big "reality" show in order to save money and escape workplace regulations. The children who appear in all of these "look at how many babies I can pop out" TV shows have none of the protections of kids who work on scripted television series or in movies. They certainly have no right to privacy.

More jobs were outsourced to foreign countries, effectively ending our manufacturing base.

Fulltime jobs became part time jobs with no benefits. Part time jobs became per diem jobs with no benefits. Benefits went away.

China captured virtually all of our economy. Bush sold them our debt.

I was watching a tv show from the 1990s last night and realized how good we had it in the 1990s and how everything from the year 2000 onward SUCKS.

by Anonymousreply 2510/26/2009

Y2K'ers are listening to Rush.

by Anonymousreply 2610/26/2009
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!