Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When Did Severe Plastic Surgery Become a Problem in Hollywood?

I'm watching one of my favorite soap operas and while one of the actresses is still beautiful (okay, I'm talking about Tracy Bregman), her face looks horrible. Same with Nicole Kidman, the Desperate Housewives, Courteney Cox-Arquette, and so many others.

When exactly did the transition from nosejobs and dye jobs transition to these hideous creatures we see today? Seems like a fairly recent occurrence.

by Anonymousreply 20301/31/2010

It all started when Barbara Hershey had her lips injected to look more ethnic when she was in that Jesus movie. Every aging actress in town did a u-turn and headed to their plastic surgeon. The doctor said, "While you're at it, let me give you bulging cheek implants and raise your eyebrows ridiculously high." And all the aging actresses said, "Deal."

by Anonymousreply 110/13/2009

Re: Barbara Hershey

My earliest memory of Joy Behar is her telling a joke about Barbara Hershey. The punchline had to do with her not understanding why BH would want to feel like she's kissing Dom DeLouise's ass all day.

by Anonymousreply 210/13/2009

Hershey was perfection in The Portrait of a Lady. I forgive her everything. She never capitalized on that Oscar nomination, though.

by Anonymousreply 310/13/2009

Joan Rivers brought it out of the closet and made it the core of her routine. By making fun of her surgeries, she made it fashionable not only to embrace it publicly but to demand more....which she did over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 410/13/2009

Yeah, she did. Now she's fucking Naveen Andrews!

by Anonymousreply 510/13/2009

OP, it happened when doctors realised they could get away with it.

It doesn't happen anywhere near as much in other countries, and I'm sure that's because doctors are not allowed to 'persuade' patients into such ugly/severe cosmetic surgery. Doctors should be hauled before a medical council for doing such hatchet jobs.

It also tends to be stupid people who get extreme cosmetic surgery, they are easily convinced to go under the knife.

by Anonymousreply 610/13/2009

I thought Brazil was the cosmetic surgery capitol of the world.

by Anonymousreply 710/13/2009

The Brazilian National Healthcare System gives everyone a free nose job at birth.

by Anonymousreply 810/13/2009

I think it's because Americans have a warped sense of "beauty". What you consider "hot" sends us screaming the other way.

Countdown to "well, at least we have BLINDINGLY WHITE EVEN HORSE TEETH whereas you ...." 3 .... 2.... 1....

by Anonymousreply 910/13/2009

I think Totie Fields beat Joan to the punch.

No one should be getting the kind of work Courtney Cox has received at 40. It's too much. She will never be and look 19 again. Now Cox looks way older tan 40.

I'm not sure what drives these people to take such drastic action. Surely they must think they look better. Perhaps it's just narcissism that blinds them which, of course, may be why some people are in the entertainment field in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 1010/13/2009

"The Brazilian National Healthcare System gives everyone a free nose job at birth."

And a free wax job at puberty.

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2009

What's the term for not seeing yourself as others do? I think a bunch of actresses AND actors have that. They have all that work done and look hideous and they look at themselves and think, "Not bad, but maybe next time I'll go for the complete facelift and not just a nose job, eyebrow lift, cheek implants, chin reshaping and Botox. That'll make me look like I'm 25 again."

by Anonymousreply 1210/13/2009

The problem is that there seems to be only one look that surgeons can do. Waylon Flowers' Madame Puppet.

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2009

Joan Rivers is dating Naveen Andrews?

by Anonymousreply 1410/13/2009

Good question OP, it seems to have become an epidemic in hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 1510/13/2009

What's Tracy Bregman done to her face?

Worse than Hunter Tylo?????

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2009

It crossed the line with collagen injections.

by Anonymousreply 1710/13/2009

I think a lot of these people have a sort of dysmorphia about their faces.

Like Michael Jackson. He looked in the mirror and saw a huge nose even though it was so tiny there was nothing left. But he didn't see it in his minds view at all.

by Anonymousreply 1810/13/2009

R16, Tracey's had the good sense not to fuck with her mouth like Hunter Tylo did, but her face is still comically frozen. She's also had some kind of cheek implants which look ridiculous too.

At least

by Anonymousreply 1910/13/2009

OP, you can check out the old Tracy Bregman in "Happy Birthday To Me" out today on DVD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2010/13/2009

I think the dam burst about ten years ago, when cosmetic surgery really went mass market and clinics started opening up that offered time payments (or extremely low-cost treatments by unqualified practitioners, especially outside of the US.) You started seeing ordinary women going around with ghastly looking scars around the edges of their faces and those horrible lip liner tattoos, and that lowered the bar for everybody. As long as your doctor didn't actually kill you or make your face completely lopsided, it passed as a decent job.

by Anonymousreply 2110/13/2009

I can remember Phyllis Diller going on the Joan Rivers show in the early 90's talking about her surgeries. At that point, I believe she had around thirty surgeries. They ran through an entire list of all she had done.

And say what you want about her, but she has a damn good plastic surgeon.

by Anonymousreply 2210/13/2009

For many years, plastic surgery meant a nose job and that was it. Now even actresses in their 20s and 30s are getting collagen, cheek implants etc. It's ridiculous. Who ever decided that injecting collagen into your lips to make them look like a puffer fish was attractive? I have never seen a woman with lips like that who looked better than she did before.

by Anonymousreply 2310/13/2009

I think when the lead female on a show about forensic science has a face that is like melted plastic, you know it's gone insane.

by Anonymousreply 2410/31/2009

What about me?

by Anonymousreply 2510/31/2009

Plastic surgery can be effective when the aim is to augment and refine looks. Trying to turn back the clock is futile and often disastrous. When the patient is average or even unattractive the results can be great. Look at Roseanne, she looked 100 times better after the facial surgery. Beautiful faces have a symmetry and natural balance, which is often disturbed by surgery. There is also the issue of expressiveness, which most of the Hollywood folk seem to be losing at an alarming rate.

by Anonymousreply 2610/31/2009

No one noticed my work.

by Anonymousreply 2710/31/2009

R27 You're wrong Steve. I saw the promos for the new Meryl Streep-Alec Baldwin film and you looked like you were wearing a rubber Halloween mask of yourself. You know, like the Presidents' faces ones.

by Anonymousreply 2810/31/2009

The real question is, when did producers start giving work to actor with unreal masklike faces?

Facelifts have been around a long time, since the 1920s or 1930s. Those that had good facelifts (Joan Crawford) kept working, while those with bad (Mary Pickford) quietly "retired" from the screen. When did casting agents and directors decide it was okay to give us heroes and heroines who look like rubber caricatures of human beings?

by Anonymousreply 2910/31/2009

Tracey Bregman looks HOT.

But my god she has certainly changed since Happy Birthday To Me-

MAJOR dental work, even since the mid-late 80's.

Completely wrinkle free.. her surgery is not freaky in the least, but totally noticeable.

But I think she looks amazing.

by Anonymousreply 3010/31/2009

One of the rarest things in the world: a talented plastic surgeon. Always remember that when you're considering "getting work done."

by Anonymousreply 3110/31/2009

One of the most tragic examples is Jackie Zeman. Absolutely horrendous. And it definitely short-circuited her role on GH, which was already on the decline before she butchered her face.

by Anonymousreply 3210/31/2009

I was getting a pedicure yesterday (so what bitches) and reading this month's vogue with nicole kidman, marion cotillard, penny cruz, kate hudson on cover.

on the table of contents pg they had a shot of nicole looking at the proofs on the set.

she looked like the fucking JOKER. HORRIFYING. almost like she was carved out of plastic. the lip job is nightmarish.

by Anonymousreply 3310/31/2009

Oh 32, God bless you.

Jackie Zeman looks positively otherwordly (in a bad way). The most immobile face and mouth area I have ever seen.

Excellent plastic surgery- Susan Lucci. Yeah, the eyes are a little tight but she looks amazing. She was on The View a few weeks ago, and you know how they do those impromptu interviews back stage under not flattering flourescent lighting? Well they were right in her face under HORRIBLE lighting and she looked awesome.

Jacklyn Smith- Amazing Work.

by Anonymousreply 3410/31/2009

Hunter Tylo, a complete joke:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3510/31/2009

I think dysmorphia plus complete insecurity is the answer. Having dated a stage actor and been around them a lot since high school, as a group they are FREAKS for being accepted and loved (or what they perceive as such).

They were, mostly, raised to be the center of attention and thus were constantly praised for their talents, real or imagined. This means that, knowing praise can be automatic, they now distrust almost everything told to them about themselves. They judge their lives by how they *think* others perceive them.

Therefore if they already have some skewed idea of what constitutes beauty, they will aim for it with surgery, then do the same again and again. The same with drugs or anything compulsive/readily available - no one else can be believed when they say enough is enough.

It's scary to me how often I've seen the same behavior in so many different people, and how all parents who spoil their children never seem to realize that doing that to them will, ultimately, lead to the very same thing.

by Anonymousreply 3610/31/2009

Good Lord Almighty, r35!

That was my Halloween fright, for sure!

by Anonymousreply 3710/31/2009

[quote]Excellent plastic surgery- Susan Lucci. Yeah, the eyes are a little tight but she looks amazing.

She's had good work done (except the "Asian eyes"), but she looks emaciated and should have stopped wearing tank dresses a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 3810/31/2009

R29, I was intrigued by your posting about Mary Pickford but couldn't find any pictures of her with the bad plastic surgery. I did a Google image search and only got pictures of her looking fresh-faced and beautiful. Do you know of any sites with the bad plastic surgery pictures?

by Anonymousreply 3910/31/2009

Damn, Hunter Tylo used to be so beautiful!

Crazy but beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 4010/31/2009

I think Meg Ryan is starting to look more like herself. About the worst I've seen in the blond mother of 4 on Desperate Housewives. Last I saw her...she looked like she had a clown mask on. Sorry, I can't remember her name.

by Anonymousreply 4110/31/2009

Hunter Tylo used to be gorgeous, what a tragedy she had to fuck up her face so that she now looks like a wax figure.

And yes, Jackie Zeman is frightening now. She's had so much bad work done it looks like she can't even close her mouth anymore. Scary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4210/31/2009

What's wrong with Jackie Zeman? I think she looks tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 4310/31/2009

It's a shame what Hunter Tylo did to her face. It seems like the soap opera actresses fall in one of two camps; those who choose to get extreme plastic surgery and those who try to age as gracefully as possible (i.e., Melody Thomas Scott).

by Anonymousreply 4410/31/2009

I have to disagree about Joan Crawford having good plastic surgery. I think that's when she started to look too masculine, and everyone makes fun of how she looked in later years.

I think that a lot of actors look like recovering burn victims, but I guess after you're around them there comes a point where they think it's the norm to look like that.

by Anonymousreply 4510/31/2009

I think female actresses do it when they feel they have nothing to lose. They aren't getting work because they've aged poorly so they go for the face lift in hopes of looking young again.

by Anonymousreply 4610/31/2009

If I was Jackie Zeman, I would want to die.

by Anonymousreply 4710/31/2009

"I think female actresses do it when they feel they have nothing to lose. They aren't getting work because they've aged poorly so they go for the face lift in hopes of looking young again."

Ironically, they then don't get to work because they look to freaky.

What's the consensus on Meryl Streep & Helen Mirren -- I think they MAY have had stuff done, but subtle & good work, and obviously they didn't overdo it. Both look absolutely fab.

by Anonymousreply 4810/31/2009

Courtney Cox looks amazing. Of ALL the people you mention, she looks the least like she has had work done. Still looks like Monica Geller only older. And sexier. She actually looks too good to be a "cougar" on her new show. Why did you mention HER?

Everyone else I agree with. And the poster who talked about how these performers see themselves through the eyes of their "fans" is spot on, I think. They have no "center" and will just hack their looks all to hell by bad surgeons, all the while being told how gorgeous they look. In actuality? Freak show!

by Anonymousreply 4910/31/2009

Meryl and Helen have had subtle work done, but ultimately they were never famous for their beauty or cuteness like Nicole Kidman and Meg Ryan. They know that at this point, if they don't get work they'll survive and if they do get work, they don't mind if it's age appropriate. They're true actresses. The women who tend to go overboard are those who've made their money playing ingenues and RomCom leads.

by Anonymousreply 5010/31/2009

Who is Jaclyn Smith's plastic surgeon? Or Susan Lucci's surgeon? They obviously can't advertize the work they have done, but I would seriously like to know in case I need some work done.

by Anonymousreply 5110/31/2009

I think a lot of it has to do with what the camera does. It freezes people, it is ruthless. Women who look fine in real life while animated with life, see a photograph taken of them and all they see are the sags, the wrinkles, etc. - things that aren't really noticed by others or necessarily by themselves in the mirror.

After surgery they look at pictures of themselves and see the wrinkles are gone, the sagging is lifted, etc. That's all they see - they don't see that they look like a frozen mask devoid of warmth and life and humanity.

So, they just keep on going forward with it over and over again. They are not looking at the entire face as an expressive whole - they are breaking it down into all the various parts and how much they've changed.

by Anonymousreply 5210/31/2009

I agree with R49. Courteney looks amazing for 45. I'd also credit Michelle Pfeiffer with having had great work, and if we're talking soap queens, Deidre Hall reigns supreme.

by Anonymousreply 5310/31/2009

I disagree R49. I watched the latest episode of "Cougar Town" online last night and I thought Cox had that "joker" mouth. She still has a slammin' body and great hair (if it's all hers) but the face work does not look good to me.

I saw her and a movie with that woman that was the last of the blondes on "3's Co" and I was going to start a thread about the surgery today.

I was just wondering if [italic]anyone[/italic] aged normally these days. Courtney Cox is a beautiful woman with great bone structure. She would surely still be beautiful if she had left her face alone.

It is weird that one of the big things is the face immobility. You would think that would be the last thing an actor -- who's business is about being expressive with their face -- would want to do to themselves. I guess vanity trumps the desire to be a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 5410/31/2009

Hello #51, dear. My surgeon is Dr. Daniel Baker. I do look amazing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5510/31/2009

The worst of it is that the men are going there now, as well, with quite a few of them totally screwing up their looks just as these women have.

What gets me is, don't all of these people see the negative effects on all of the people around them? Why do they think they are immune from these negative effects? It's just sad.

by Anonymousreply 5610/31/2009

Hang in there Ms. Rinna and Ms. Zeman. Help is on the way!!!

by Anonymousreply 5710/31/2009

Melody Thomas Scott?

Her eyelift was so exaggerated and poorly done, that her eyebrows were practically up to her hair line, and she looked worse than just surprised. It ruined her face.

I noticed her eyes and brows have settled a bit by now, but her face is not looking all that good.

by Anonymousreply 5810/31/2009

MTS looks so bad that I too thought she was aging naturally. She has bags under her eyes and everything.

by Anonymousreply 5910/31/2009

What about Kate from the Drew Carey show? *shudders* ... Cox and Meg Ryan both have joker mouth, Christine Lahti looks terrible, and Meryl will never have to worry about it. Maybe if they, meaning Cox stopped smoking ages ago, she wouldn't need much besides botox.

by Anonymousreply 6010/31/2009

Just go to the Bristol Farms in Beverly Hills on a Saturday night and it looks like a freak show of plastic surgeries..female and male. I will definitely draw the line at Botox......seeing the cadavers pushing their shopping carts in their Juicy Couture and Chrome Hearts silver chains is unsettling. The only people who look their natural age in that store and are the latino employees.

by Anonymousreply 6110/31/2009

I don't know what work Lynda Carter had done, but whoever her surgeon is deserves the Nobel Prize in Medicine. She looks absofuckinglutely amazing for being almost 60!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6210/31/2009

It is a by product of the movement to be hyper skinny. A woman over 30 needs some fat in her face to retain beauty. All these actresses diet like crazy and then their faces fall apart young.

As Sophia Loren said years ago you can either keep your ass or your face...not both.

by Anonymousreply 6310/31/2009

r61- funny you say that...The one time I ever went to Bristol Farms (I made a u-turn in the parking lot) I saw an ultra scary Joan Van Ark getting out of her car.

by Anonymousreply 6410/31/2009

R63 - Catherine Denuve said that, not Loren.

by Anonymousreply 6510/31/2009

Jackie Z's work is so sad. She was so beautiful back in the day and was one of two actresses during the 90s (the other being Vanessa Marcil) who carried General Hospital. Bobbie was the heart and soul of the show. What on earth possessed her to destroy her face like that? Does she really think she looks good?

I guess the longer you live in LA, the more you thrive on self-delusion.

by Anonymousreply 6610/31/2009

What all has Julie Andrews had done? I'd say at least 3 major facial procedures.

How about Michele Lee?

Liza?

by Anonymousreply 6710/31/2009

oops thanx r65. Makes more sence if Denuve said it!

by Anonymousreply 6810/31/2009

Susan Lucci is pushing 64. Yes, she looks good, but the fact that she still dresses and wears her hair like a 20-something, not to mention the boob job, just makes her look kind of pathetic. You can't hang onto youth forever.

Speaking of the View, Mario Cantone was on it yesterday and he told Barbara Walters (who was wearing a long black curly wig and tons of makeup) that she looked like Baby Jane. The look on her face (as much as she can move it) was priceless.

by Anonymousreply 6910/31/2009

All of the disaster stories is women who wait too late and do too much at once. The key is to start early, around 33, and have minor things done. So all of a sudden you're 50 and you look 39 and no one understands why.

by Anonymousreply 7010/31/2009

The key is to start early and do everything at once.

by Anonymousreply 7110/31/2009

R 63 and R65 Zsa Zsa Gabor said that many years ago. And she would have known.

by Anonymousreply 7210/31/2009

Look at recent pics of Madonna and Belinda Carlisle..both aged 51.....Belinda has more natural body weight and looks much healthier and younger than the ultra lean Madonna. I am sure they both have had their share of touch ups but the weight thing definitely works in Belinda Carlisle's favor.

by Anonymousreply 7310/31/2009

At a certain point, doesn't a woman have to choose between her body and her face?

by Anonymousreply 7410/31/2009

FWIW, plastic surgery is much more advanced these days.

by Anonymousreply 7510/31/2009

Rick Springfield gayfaced himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7610/31/2009

since Mj?

by Anonymousreply 7710/31/2009

It's only been a problem since HDTV and high definition digital imaging in general.

Gone are the days when the DP would spread vaseline over the lens for that close-up of our star.

High definition shows every flaw, every wrinkle, every imperfection with alarming clarity.

Back in the days of analog NTSC broadcasting, your small screen heart throbs might give you a heart attack if you saw them IRL.

Now they can have no secret flaws.

by Anonymousreply 7810/31/2009

[quote]What's the consensus on Meryl Streep & Helen Mirren -- I think they MAY have had stuff done, but subtle & good work, and obviously they didn't overdo it.

Yes, and I think it's been largely minor surgical stuff - a little lift, a little tuck, NOT injections of any kind. Collagen and Botox just lead to freakishness.

by Anonymousreply 7910/31/2009

Angela Lansbury is someone who looks good. I mean she is 85 or something and looks better than your average 85 year old so I guess she's done something but she is not freakish.

by Anonymousreply 8011/01/2009

One key to good cosmetic surgery (it's not plastic) to not use an American surgeon (or at least not a Hollywood one).

Lots of European surgeons won't do the 'Hollywood look' i.e. they won't do extreme work, or they work on the motto that a good cosmetic procedure is one where no one realises you've had work done.

I was watching Dr Ray on TV (his inappropriate behaviour with his patients caught my attention) -- well, the results looked pretty crap.

by Anonymousreply 8111/01/2009

What about Sandra Bullock? She looks amazing and she is 45.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8211/01/2009

If I were as stunning as some of these actresses are, I wouldn't risk fucking up my beauty.

The younger actresses shave their noses to the point that they look generic and not as striking as before.

The older actresses never look younger. Just "different" and a lot of the times, OLDER.

Nicole Kidman is what? 42?

Jennifer Aniston is 40 and looks 20 years younger than Nicole Kidman.

by Anonymousreply 8311/01/2009

Face exercises could help some of these people who look like freaks.

It can help make the distortion more subtle so they are so dramatically cartoon-like.

But of course when someone is as fucked up as Jackie Zeman, even a big improvement would still leave her looking freakish.

The idea about a super-thin person needing some fat in the face is the principle that makes Flex-Effect work.

Face exercises with resistance builds muscle, so it can fill out the skin and reduce or eliminate that gaunt look while minimizing things like the naso-labial folds -- parenthesis-like folds on each side of the mouth.

BTW, face exercises can also do some fantastic things like make the cheekbones more pronounced.

I would swear on my grandmother's grave Hillary Clinton was doing a few face exercises during the campaign last year.

I think she's stopped now, because she no longer has that pronounced and sharply defined hollow under her cheekbones.

It's been said several times, but why would a director hire an actor (male or female) who looks like a surgical freak? Who can watch a film -- or even the red-carpet at an awards event -- while all you can think of is how freakish the actor looks?

Lisa Renna has taken on the comments about her lips like George Hamilton and his tan, as if acknowledging her lips look stupid makes them look less stupid.

by Anonymousreply 8411/01/2009

[quote]It can help make the distortion more subtle so they are so dramatically cartoon-like.

Oops! Should be: It can help make the distortion more subtle so they are NOT so dramatically cartoon-like.

by Anonymousreply 8511/01/2009

Men should not have plastic surgery under any circumstances!

The British actresses do it VERY subtly: Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Diana Rigg, Julie Christie, Vanessa and Lynn Redgrave, Maggie Smith, et. al......and they look like beautiful older versions of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 8611/01/2009

r86, this probably explains why the older British actresses play a disproportionate number of older female roles in Hollywood movies; all the American actresses have messed up their faces.

I'm trying to think of some American actresses who look naturally older and good.. Meryl Streep, Kathy Bates, Tyne Daley (although Tyne looks like she's recently had subtle work done).

by Anonymousreply 8711/01/2009

I think the problem isn't that they don't have good surgeons technically because I'm sure they have the money to get the best doctors. The problem is they overdo it! They get facelifts/browlifts too soon and repeat it too soon. They simply do too much. Look at Nicole Kidman - she's ruined her face. She started about 7 years ago when she split with that nut and never stopped. Had she just gotten Bottox it wouldn't have been so bad but I'd bet my left tit she got a facelift too, one she never needed. She gets bottox, she inflated those lips and it looks ridiculous. I also think she has collagen in her nasal lines. She doesn't look human and looks way older than her age now. I bet that if she has left her face alone, she would have looked younger than her age.

They are all afraid of losing their youth, sexappeal, beauty and with it the roles and money.

by Anonymousreply 8811/01/2009

It became a problem when Bruce Jenner came out of it looking like a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 8911/01/2009

Rick Springfield looks like an aging Jacqueline Bisset with a beard. OMG

by Anonymousreply 9011/01/2009

r88, they aren't good surgeons though, because a good surgeon would have the ethical and professional standards to tell them they've had enough surgery, or that further surgery will result in an artifcial look, which will ultimately damage their career. Even from a business point of view, a surgeon does not want a butchery/extreme example of their work on a celebrity. Who's going to ask Meg Ryan to recommend her surgeon?

by Anonymousreply 9111/01/2009

R91, I totally agree with you - they are unethical. What I was trying to say is that it's not their technical skills that are lacking, it's their conscience.

I guess they are afraid of saying "no" to these rich, famous people.

by Anonymousreply 9211/01/2009

The thing is, some of these people owe their careers to plastic surgery in the first place. Actresses like Michelle Pfeiffer and Jennifer Aniston would never have gotten their careers off the ground without good nose jobs, so the idea that "plastic surgery equals career advancement" is already in their brains.

And you know how the human brain works - once it has the idea that something will help, the person will try it over and over again even though the results were only good the first time. No, they'll try again and again, hoping the change will be as good as the first time, and then they'll try some more to fix the bad work.

There's also the fact that people who are actually good-looking tend to focus too much on their flaws, so if all they care about is that the surgeon has made the 'flaw' go away, they aren't good judges of when the overall beauty is damaged. They never really saw the beauty to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 9311/01/2009

I blame the surgeons. How can they look at themslves in the mirror, after they have destroyed someones face? I look at Bruce Jenner and he looks like maybe he was the victim in a fire and a doctor tried to repair him. It's horrid. When it's done in a small way, a little at a time...it may look better but some surgeons don't know what they are doing and some people will never be good candidates. Anyway, that mask look...god, that's awful.

Actually, those ugly puffy lips are the absolute worst.

by Anonymousreply 9411/01/2009

I read an article about this. Psychologists call it "plastic surgery creep."

They look at their faces in the mirror every day (shudder), so the differences aren't as drastic to them as they are to us.

They're also surrounded by other people who also have plastic surgery.

I think they don't know how bad it looks. Or if they do, it's too late by then.

by Anonymousreply 9511/01/2009

Why has nobody commented on the (very good) work that homosexual George Clooney had done about two years ago? Facelift and chin implant and maybe more. No comment because the work was very very good.

by Anonymousreply 9611/01/2009

OMG, poor Jackie Z. I haven't watched General Hospital since the 1980's but I remember her. What is wrong with her eyes in that picture? It looks like they've been carved.

by Anonymousreply 9711/01/2009

It's not the nose, eye and face lifts per se (which I think the British and Meryl stop at), it's the injectables, fillers and implants on top of all that work.

I think because of the lower price point of getting injectables, fillers and implants (oh my!), everyone CAN and DOES get them. Those tend to distort the face more than major surgery would. And you can get all that crap at medi-spas.

I've worked with actresses in their 20's getting botox and fillers already, on top of the nose and boob jobs. It's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 9811/01/2009

I don't know what you're talking about. I haven't looked this good in years.

by Anonymousreply 9911/01/2009

Another older actress who hasn't screwed up her face is Diane Keaton. But what's distracting about her is her aging Annie Hall look and mannerisms. Otherwise, her face is still great--she's an attractive 60 year old woman with mobile features.

by Anonymousreply 10011/01/2009

To the Canadians here: What do you think about Leah Miller? (MM VJ and SYTYCD host) Preventative botox? She's 27 or 28 years old.

by Anonymousreply 10111/01/2009

Joan Collins looks terrific and could easily pass for early mid forties.

by Anonymousreply 10211/01/2009

"Joan Collins looks terrific and could easily pass for early mid forties."

Maybe from a distance and after 2 intense hours with her makeup/spackling expert and the wig guy and the guy who tapes her face under the wig.

by Anonymousreply 10311/01/2009

r93, you're right, it can advance careers. Kathy Griffin tells the tale of Lisa Kudrow, who was a struggling actress often showing up to auditions with Kathy. Then one day she has a breast enlargement, and dyes her hair blonde, and got a part on Mad About You.

But, there is a huge difference between a nose or tit job, and the 'severe' cosmetic surgery some celebs are undergoing.

r102, Joan Collins definitely looks in her 60s.

by Anonymousreply 10411/01/2009

Don't forget about me, dears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10511/01/2009

r9, r98tare right: it's the injections and implants that created these startling freaks, along with being underweight.

A good nip and tuck is the only thing that shaves a few years off. That, and the occasional sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 10611/01/2009

I saw Julian McMahon's character on Nip/Tuck fuck with either Daphne Zuniga or Paula Marshall on an episode once; in no time, he had her convinced all she needed was a little work done.

THe trick is in getting just a little done.

Not a lot.

by Anonymousreply 10711/01/2009

Joan van Ark is a BEAST. What exactly did she and the plastic surgeon have in mind?

by Anonymousreply 10811/01/2009

dude hes 5 sec away from doing spirit fingers.

by Anonymousreply 10911/01/2009

What about Kate from the Drew Carey show?

Karma for fucking with Chyna

by Anonymousreply 11011/01/2009

[quote]It's not the nose, eye and face lifts per se (which I think the British and Meryl stop at), it's the injectables, fillers and implants on top of all that work.

What are all these injectables and fillers supposed to do?

What are they exactly? They sound horrible.

by Anonymousreply 11111/01/2009

All young women have a certain amount of natural fat in their faces. Thin faces tend to look older.

by Anonymousreply 11211/01/2009

R111, fillers do basically what you think: they "fill" in areas of the face. As you get older, particularly once you hit 35, the collagen in your skin starts to sag, and as a result the fat pockets in your face that give you a youthful look start sagging as well. Injectables fill in the areas of the face where the loss of fat has either left a sunken look (e.g. underneath the lower eyelids) or resulted in heavy wrinkles (e.g. frown lines). Botox isn't a filler, but it's designed to relax, and thus erase, wrinkles in specific areas, e.g. forehead and crow's feet.

I'm hard-pressed to think of any actresses over 40 who don't use them nowadays, or at least any who are still in the popular limelight. The Desperate Hausfrauen, Sandra Bullock, Courteney Cox, Maniston, Renee Zellweger, Kidman, Madonna, Kylie, Mariah, etc etc etc - all have had it, often as a precursor to major surgery (e.g. Madonna's cheek implants).

by Anonymousreply 11311/01/2009

It's the lip work that I find most strange - particularly the 'trout pout'. Just a few too many injections in the lip area can completely change the character of a face.

Meg Ryan is a good example.

by Anonymousreply 11411/01/2009

The thing is, plastic surgery is pointless once you reach a certain age. Nothing, but nothing can turn the clock back. The only thing that helps is good genes. Everything else is a con. In fact early plastic surgery doesn't work either because people think you must be older if you have had some work done.

If Sharon Stone walks into a room followed by a stunning young 20 year old nobody, every straight man will want the young chick. Age with dignity and at least you will have some self respect. Desperation is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 11511/01/2009

Do they take that shit out when you die? I always wonder if, far in the future, they would open up a casket and find a bunch of silicone bags.

by Anonymousreply 11611/01/2009

A friend is a huge fan of Olivia Newton John. Goes to any concert she performs within a 300 mile radius. Always gets front row seats.

But his Olivia lust stopped after she got plastic surgery. Says she looks horrid and she's no longer the singer he fell in love with as a little gay boy back in the 70s.

We now joke that he should take up a collection for the restoration of her face.

by Anonymousreply 11711/01/2009

Guilty as charged.

by Anonymousreply 11811/01/2009

R45, Joan Crawford first had surgery back in her silent film days. She had a little nose work and her teeth fixed, and probably some of her back teeth taken out to give her cheekbones some definition. She was wildly insecure about her looks, and even in the mid-30s was starting to wear heavy makeup, overdone lipstick, and ridiculous eyelashes out of fear of not looking young enough. I don't remember when she had more surgery in the 40s, but it wasn't that bad. She looks good in "Harriet Craig" but starts to look odd in "Johnny Guitar", and it was all because of the severe makeup and hairstyle that she insisted on.

by Anonymousreply 11911/01/2009

Crawford's heavy drinking and smoking also caught up with her looks by the 1950s. The same thing happened to Bette Davis at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 12011/01/2009

Kenny Rogers trashed his face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12111/01/2009

"But his Olivia lust stopped after she got plastic surgery. Says she looks horrid and she's no longer the singer he fell in love with as a little gay boy back in the 70s."

Her plastic surgery is puzzling because she was aging quite nicely

by Anonymousreply 12211/01/2009

Joan Van Ark looks worse than anyone. Why did she do that to herself?

by Anonymousreply 12311/01/2009

That woofy Dr. Arnold Klein is his own best patient.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12411/01/2009

[quote] Do they take that shit out when you die? I always wonder if, far in the future, they would open up a casket and find a bunch of silicone bags.

Sometimes. A few years ago when I arranged cremation for a deceased relative, the mortuary wanted to know if he had any medical implants. Bottom line: burning them apparently creates problems either with the oven, or with air quality.

by Anonymousreply 12511/01/2009

"Sometimes. A few years ago when I arranged cremation for a deceased relative, the mortuary wanted to know if he had any medical implants. Bottom line: burning them apparently creates problems either with the oven, or with air quality."

This makes me wonder what happened to Michael Jackson's cheekbone implants and chin implant

by Anonymousreply 12611/01/2009

The two who look the worst are Nicole Kidman & MaDonna. Their plastic surgeries only highlight how BAD they really look.

ICK.

by Anonymousreply 12711/04/2009

Meh. These people are all amateurs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12811/04/2009

bump

by Anonymousreply 12911/05/2009

bump

by Anonymousreply 13011/08/2009

bump

by Anonymousreply 13111/14/2009

Cher last week

It looks like she has had some recent freshening up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13211/14/2009

What does it look like Sandra Bullock has had done to her face? See photos at link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13311/17/2009

Nuthin?

by Anonymousreply 13411/17/2009

R134, to you doesn't Sandra's face look a bit too wrinkle-free or tight for a 45-year old?

by Anonymousreply 13511/17/2009

Not in that photo. Botox is your friend.

by Anonymousreply 13611/17/2009

recent Meg Ryan photos. Horrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13712/05/2009

Cher looks great in that pic, R132.

by Anonymousreply 13812/05/2009

Meg's nose collapsed. Can't they just be proud of their wrinkles or at least not go overboard. They look so silly, but I guess they don't see it.

by Anonymousreply 13912/08/2009

Meg now looks like that actress who played Mrs. Roper on 3's Company.

by Anonymousreply 14012/08/2009

Meg looks great!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14112/08/2009

Meg is just shiny from Botox. Big deal.

by Anonymousreply 14212/08/2009

Cher finally figured out how to do it right. She looks awesome!

by Anonymousreply 14312/08/2009

that *is* a good photo of Cher.

Face vs body. I heard Kathleen Turner say that back in the 80s when she was in the movie about divorce. She was 33 at the time and a bit plump. Or morbidly obese if you compare her with today's starlets.

by Anonymousreply 14412/08/2009

Cher looks great for 63, and being shot w/o studio lighting and no after airbrushing.

by Anonymousreply 14512/08/2009

"What about Kate from the Drew Carey show?"

Krista Miller, who played "Kate" on the Drew Carey show, and "Jordan", the she-beast on "Scrubs", had her lips pumped full of collagen, which resulted in puffy, slug-like lips.

by Anonymousreply 14612/09/2009

Can anyone please please recommend who they think is the best plastic surgeon in the Md/DC area? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 14712/09/2009

I'll second the request for MD / DC area surgeons.

I can offer this: by far the best botox I've gotten in DC was at Reveal Medspa. It's also less expensive than other places I've tried. ($300 per trip, and I use quite a few units each time.)

It's rather no-frills, though, and the person doing your botox is not an MD, but a tech.

Still, they have done the best job by far. I've gone to several derms in DC for botox, sometimes at $800 / pop. And they do a shitty job.

by Anonymousreply 14812/10/2009

I've gotten some wonderful facials at Cobalt...they can be a little pricey, but they're well worth it. JRs is also good.

by Anonymousreply 14912/10/2009

People, please come into the 21st century. Plain old collagen is never used anymore.

Injectable fillers today are restylane, juviderm, perlane, radiesse, dermalive, sculptra and artefill (which uses some collagen). Injections of one's own fat is done by some doctors, but you have to overfill the area, because the body will absorb a lot of the fat.

I've had restylane and radiesse to my nasolabial folds, which are very deep (and have been since I was a teen. It's a family trait). The doctor who gave me radiesse insisted it would last much longer than restylane. It didn't. The restylane lasted longer.

by Anonymousreply 15012/10/2009

I was watching a Law & Order repeat last night and the female DA looked like a motion-capture figure. It was frightening. Who is that woman? Short dark hair and two eyes that are way too close to her ears.

by Anonymousreply 15112/10/2009

I know Meryl in on record as being against plastic surgery...but she's obviously had some very, very GOOD work.

So, who's her surgeon?

by Anonymousreply 15212/10/2009

Debbie Harry looks pretty good from this link to

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15312/10/2009

To this link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15412/10/2009

Plastic surgeon Dr. Sherrel J Aston says, "Debbie Harry has been open about many aspects of her life including her beliefs on plastic surgery. She has candidly admitted to several procedures already and I believe she has undergone yet another. Debbie's bone structure and skin quality have always set her apart as a great beauty. At the age of 64 she is setting new standards for aging gracefully. She is modern and sexy without looking overly taut or plastic. She has single handily changed the definition of a senior citizen and I think she is a role model for other women."�

Guess who I think did Debbie's surgery?

by Anonymousreply 15512/11/2009

I worked on some singing game show where we had Debbie sing "Tide is High" for the day...she looked fantastic. Great plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 15612/11/2009

The only photos that are acceptable for judging plastic surgery are those that have not been professionally staged and lit. It's where the paparazzi come in very handy.

by Anonymousreply 15712/11/2009

Botox is the culprit.

by Anonymousreply 15812/26/2009

Sandra Bullock's had some good work done. That Jackie Zeman pic was a real tragedy. And I don't believe for a second Meryl Streep is aging naturally.

by Anonymousreply 15912/26/2009

[quote]This makes me wonder what happened to Michael Jackson's cheekbone implants and chin implant

They'll show up on eBay at some point.

by Anonymousreply 16012/26/2009

"And I don't believe for a second Meryl Streep is aging naturally."

Me neither but her work has been VERY subtle. She still has wrinkles & all but they did some very good damage control. She has great bone structure -- people with great cheek bones age generally well (if they keep a reasonable weight, that is).

by Anonymousreply 16112/26/2009

Sherrel Aston did Pamela Harriman's face, which is arguably the best work ever done.

by Anonymousreply 16212/26/2009

"Sandra Bullock's had some good work done. That Jackie Zeman pic was a real tragedy. And I don't believe for a second Meryl Streep is aging naturally."

What work do you think Sandra and Meryl have had done?

by Anonymousreply 16312/26/2009

Can you imagine climbing into bed with and kissing Jackie Zeman?

I can't. So do we think she hasn't been laid recently?

by Anonymousreply 16412/26/2009

agree that low body fat doesn't help women as they age.

I also think celebs jump on every trend. And if having plumpy lips along w/your Ed Hardy tees is in, they do it.

And everybody in LA has a certain look they emulate. The plastic surgeries are also being emulated because everyone is doing it.

It's important to know which jeans don't look good on you, and which surgeries don't look good on you.

For the life of me, I still find breast implants to be very bizarre, but they are considered attractive.

by Anonymousreply 16512/26/2009

Faye Dunaway ownes this thread, she looks plain scarry, teeth like piano keys!

by Anonymousreply 16612/26/2009

If you've seen Meryl in It's Complictaed you might change your mind about her r161. She looks pretty wrinkled and saggy. I'm honestly not sure if it was intentional or not. And Alec and Steve don't look much better.

Whereas in Mama Mia Meryl was lit, photographed, wigged and made up in the most flattering way possible.

Hard to tell in Doubt and Julie and Julia because of the costuming, padding, character makeup, etc.

by Anonymousreply 16712/26/2009

Angela lansbury has had about Four full lifts, Glenn Close, Maggie Smith, Helen Miren, Meryl Streep, Shelly Long have all had lifts. Its a question of not going mad and looking at it as a question of meaintenance.

by Anonymousreply 16812/26/2009

'Jennifer Aniston is 40 and looks 20 years younger than Nicole Kidman.'

Aniston has looked haggard for the past five years and that's with the surgery. If she hadn't had any she'd look like shit. She's never been a beauty.

by Anonymousreply 16912/26/2009

Pokah playah! White Trash!

by Anonymousreply 17012/26/2009

I don't usually watch it, so maybe this is old news, but I watched part of a Closer rerun on TNT today and Kyra Sedgewick's lips were plumped and ruin the way her mouth looks.

She had thin lips before, but so what? She's a thin-lipped white woman.

Now she looks like a brainless idiot who doesn't know her lips look ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 17112/26/2009

[quote]What work do you think Sandra and Meryl have had done?

I don't know about Meryl, but Sandy's had an upper/lower eye lift. Nowadays she has that same vaguely Asian look in her eyes that SJP has (a common result of the surgery unless done absolutely perfectly).

by Anonymousreply 17212/26/2009

Thanks, R172. Are you a surgeon?

by Anonymousreply 17312/26/2009

Black don't crack, HONEY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17412/26/2009

AGAIN, Black don't crack, BITCHES

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17512/26/2009

[quote]Face exercises could help some of these people who look like freaks.

like this...?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17612/26/2009

Jennifer Aniston looks WAY better than rubba-faced Nicole Kidman.

JA also has one of the best bodies in HO-Wood.

by Anonymousreply 17712/26/2009

Aniston may look better than Kidman but she's still a dog. And her body doesn't look so hot anymore, have you seen the trailer for Bounty Hunter or whatever it's called?

by Anonymousreply 17812/26/2009

r175, she doesn't look good. sorry.

black does crack.

by Anonymousreply 17912/26/2009

Who knows what's going on under Diana's wig. She's prob taped.

by Anonymousreply 18012/27/2009

That "vaguely Asian" look really nails it, r 172.

by Anonymousreply 18112/27/2009

I think Shirley MacLaine does the tape thing too. It allows her to play her age and younger (like in RUMOR HAS IT).

by Anonymousreply 18212/28/2009

I think Melanie Griffith could use a little work. She hasn't aged well at all.

by Anonymousreply 18312/28/2009

So no one here has any idea what type of work Meryl has had done to her face?

by Anonymousreply 18401/08/2010

I think the person who first brought plastic surgery out of the closet was Phyllis Diller. I remember as a little kid all the controversy when she had her work done. My mother was a fan.

But I have a huge problem with women who get such bad work done. It's inexcusable and very obvious. You take a look at Jennifer Aniston. She is "plasticizing " before our eyes. She had work done on her eyes and her cheelks. Cameron Diaz is another. Horrible. She has an almost permanent smile. Like the Joker!

Why can't they wait. Susan Sarandon had a little teensy bit of "refreshing" done to her and she looks beautiful...and age appropriate.

I know that the make-up and the lighting is very hard on their skin. But so is the smoking and the drinking...and in some cases the drugging. Some woemn, like Joan RIvers it really doesn't matter that she is turning into cat woman. But when you look at some of the others it is shocking. It's like mutilation.

by Anonymousreply 18501/08/2010

It's always funny to see an actor/actress who's obviously had work done do a period piece. You're watching a movie that takes place in the 19th century and the obvious eyejob and browlift kind of take you right out of the story.

by Anonymousreply 18601/08/2010

I can't imagine subjecting yourself to both a possibly fatal elective procedure, but one that could both also leave you totally deformed and unable to work because the face is as essential to a screen actor's performance as the hand is to a surgeon's.

by Anonymousreply 18701/08/2010

I remember when the collagen injections were first discussed years ago as a method for fuller lips. It all came about bcz as women age, their lips become thinner. So the injections to make them look fuller. But then the concept got abused and models and young starlets and wannabes started doing it as a fad, really. Now it's just part of the repertoire.

by Anonymousreply 18801/09/2010

Just compare Meryl to Jessica Lange who was one of the greatest cinema beauties. They are both 60.

Meryl looks 10 years younger than Jessica.

by Anonymousreply 18901/09/2010

Well, Jessica does have about 100,000 more miles on her, R189. Not that you're wrong...

by Anonymousreply 19001/09/2010

Yes, but compare Meryl to me. Meryl looks like an unmade bed.

by Anonymousreply 19101/09/2010

Sharon, why am I not surprised that a walking mattress would go around comparing others to beds?

by Anonymousreply 19201/09/2010

Honey, must days I'm lucky I CAN walk. It's tough to pin your cankles behind your head for the better part of the day.

by Anonymousreply 19301/09/2010

What work has Meryl had done?

by Anonymousreply 19401/31/2010

[quote]It's inexcusable and very obvious. You take a look at Jennifer Aniston. She is "plasticizing " before our eyes. She had work done on her eyes and her cheelks. Cameron Diaz is another. Horrible. She has an almost permanent smile. Like the Joker!

I'm all for calling out bad surgery work, but what the fuck? Seriously. Cammy's had that weird Joker smile her entire career. Even at 20 she had it in "The Mask." Say what you will about Maniston, but she's had remarkably subtle work done, and I question whether she's actually had anything surgical - looks like all fillers to me. Compare either to the likes of Meg Ryan, who all but destroyed her career with ridiculous cheek implants and lifts at the age of 42 (Maniston is now 40, as a reminder).

by Anonymousreply 19501/31/2010

I feel sad for Jessica Lange that she obviously has no good friends in the business. If she had friends, they would have told her who to go to. Now, she's ruined her face and career. I guess Streep, Sarandon and Lange are in such competition with each other that they can't be friends and that, also, makes me sad. The guys of that generation have enough clout and roles to sort through that they can afford to be friendly.

by Anonymousreply 19601/31/2010

What about Nicholas Cage who has had a bad nose job, bad hair plugs and a chin implant?

by Anonymousreply 19701/31/2010

Well, I love Jessica Lange, even with the bad surgery. She looked decent as a young whatshername in Grey Gardens. I adore that woman- truly my favorite actress of all time.

She has always stayed far away from Hollywood and is pretty shy and private, even on set.

I have heard rumors here that she has had a drinking problem, and that she is a bitch, and that she a cool chick. I don't know what to believe.

She seemed to get along very, very well wth Drew Barrymore as they both had glowing words for each other and looked positively like BFF's in public.

by Anonymousreply 19801/31/2010

Park Avenue Surgeon,

What has Julia Roberts had done to her face?

Has Sandra Bullock indeed had an eye lift?

What about Jennifer Lopez?

by Anonymousreply 19901/31/2010

Lange looks like a train wreck. The surgery plus the alcoholism don't mix well. She always looks very unhappy too.

Amazing how way back in the days, she was the hot one, and now Meryl's got her beat in the looks department.

by Anonymousreply 20001/31/2010

Just to let y'all know....

If a woman has a facelift when she is thin (and a lot of women do this. They lose a lot of weight, their faces looks saggy, so they get a lift) and she then gains weight, her face is going to look strange.

Now, couple this with liposuction. One thing doctors don't tell you is that when they suck all those fat cells out of your abdomen and thighs and arms and necks, is that when you gain weight, you're going to gain it in places you never did before. So you will gain weight in your upper arms. OK -- suck the fat out of the arms. Gain more weight -- you gain it in your face. The fat cells in your face expand. Now, think about what that looks like when you've had your facial skin pulled and trimmed and you've had your facial muscle realigned. You did all that when you were thin. Now, when your fat cells in your face expand, your face is going to look distorted. Like pillows of fat poking out of the rest of your face.

Much of the facial distortion you see is due to people gaining weight after having had facelifts and lots of liposuction.

by Anonymousreply 20101/31/2010

I get juvederm in my lips once every 6 months or so--one full vial full and the difference is so subtle my mother didn't even notice it (and believe me, she'd LOVE to have made some comments about me spending $$ that way). These people with the enormous trout pouts must be injecting 3 vials each time. Ouch.

I'm scared to do the mouth/nose line, though. Meg Ryan's face looms like a warning in the night. . .

by Anonymousreply 20201/31/2010

R201, is that why a lot of these celebs look like liver/kidney failure patients?

There's a distinctive facial look caused by certain types of organ failure; some of these celebs have that look.

by Anonymousreply 20301/31/2010
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!