Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Boyzone star Stephen Gately dies

BOYZONE star Stephen Gately died suddenly yesterday at the age of just 33, the News of the World can reveal.

Last night the cause of his death was unclear.

A close friend said it appeared Stephen died after going out in Majorca, where he was on holiday.

"It looks like he went out for a few drinks, then got back, fell asleep and never woke up," the pal said.

Early this morning Boyzone manager Louis Walsh told us: "We're all absolutely devastated."

"I'm in complete shock. I was only with him on Monday at an awards ceremony. We don't know much about what's happened yet.

"I only heard after The X Factor and we will rally around each other this week. He was a great man."

All four remaining members of Boyzone - who recently reunited - will be flying to Palma, Majorca tomorrow.

Boyzone star Shane Lynch said: "Me and the boys are flying out in the morning.

"We just need to get over to where he's passed and work out what we need to do."

Ronan Keating, who is in Chicago, has been left devastated.

A pal revealed: "Ronan is completely distraught. No-one saw this coming. He loved Stephen like a brother, they were so close, it's absolutely floored him. "It's a massive shock to everyone and no one can take it in yet. He was a man in the prime of his life, and this is a huge tragedy."

He leaves a partner Andrew Cowles, who he married in a civil union in March, 2006.

The gay singer's coming out ten years ago caused a sensation in the pop music world.

Gately joined Boyzone in 1993 after answering an advert in Dublin to audition for Ireland's first boyband.

The band went on to have huge success.

Six of their singles reached number one, including "Stay" in 2001.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261February 26, 2010 9:06 PM

How awful, OP. He was one of the U.K.'s more interesting and thoughtful celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2009 3:39 AM

I'm crying as I type.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2009 3:39 AM

Wow. I'm stunned. Had always hoped he'd record a second solo CD and finally get the success he deserved. Very good singer and lots of talent. And far too young to go so soon. How sad.

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2009 3:52 AM

WHO?

by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2009 3:54 AM

Stephen and Andrew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2009 3:54 AM

Sorry to be blunt but when someone dies young 9 times out of 10 the reason is drugs

by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2009 3:58 AM

On Wikipedia right now:

"The cause of death has yet to be determined. although sources in the Guardia Civil disclosed the presence of a large cactus in the vicinity of Gatelely's [sic] anus."

For shame.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2009 3:59 AM

"The cause of death has yet to be determined. although sources in the Guardia Civil disclosed the presence of a large cactus in the vicinity of Gatelely's [sic] anus."

So he died of multiple pricks in his butt?

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2009 4:03 AM

I'm rewriting "Candle in the Wind" as I type!!!

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2009 4:08 AM

So sad. I preferred Ronan's voice but Stephen and Ronan blended well together on many Boyzone tracks. I believe he was rather forced out of the closet by the tabloids but he handled it well and ended up with an even stronger fanbase.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2009 4:10 AM

He made a guest appearance on AbFab.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2009 4:14 AM

[quote]Sorry to be blunt but when someone dies young 9 times out of 10 the reason is drugs

Oooo....look at Miss CDC!

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2009 4:20 AM

Is he the one that wore a wig?

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2009 4:26 AM

This is from May 2008.

Ronan should move the hat. He's reputed to be hung like a horse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2009 4:26 AM

Is that a tinynip convention, R14?

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2009 4:29 AM

2009 sure has been hard on celebrities. This really sucks.

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2009 4:32 AM

There were those that wanted him out of the way. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2009 4:35 AM

Are you referring to his husband, R17? Because the first thing that came to MY mind was foul play.

I wouldn't be surprised if the gold digging husband was after his money.

by Anonymousreply 18October 11, 2009 4:45 AM

CDC?

by Anonymousreply 19October 11, 2009 5:26 AM

Wow. I'm not British but I was a big fan of Boyzone when I was in my teens a decade ago. When Stephen Gately came out years ago, he was the only gay guy I know and can relate to. In some ways, he made me realize being gay is ok. May he rest in peace. I am shocked.

by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2009 5:37 AM

This is definitely sad... I hope they release the cause of death soon...

by Anonymousreply 21October 11, 2009 5:48 AM

Stephen Gately - 1976-2009 Gately was born in Ireland in March 1976 and joined Boyzone in 1993 after answering an advert in Dublin to audition for Ireland's first boyband.

He and Ronan Keating shared lead vocals and band had huge success with six singles reaching reaching number one, including "Stay" in 2001.

The band decided in 2000 to move on to solo projects. Gately was the first with his debut solo single titled New Beginning and later a debut solo album of the same name.

He went on to appear in various stage productions including starring in Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

Gately hit the head lines in June 1999 when he admitted he was gay in our sister paper the Sun disappointing hundreds of his girl fans. His manager Louis Walsh was unaware of Gately's sexuality when he selected him for the band and has said that, had he known, he would have thought twice before picking him, citing that "it wasn't cool then to have a gay guy in a band

Gately wed Andrew Cowles, first in a commitment ceremony in Las Vegas in 2003 and more formally in a civil partnership ceremony in London in 2006.

Boyzone got back together in 2008 and Gately was enjoying the second coming when he tragically died last night in Majorca. This year in had made his film debut in the horror movie Credo

Last week he attended the Pride of Britain Awards and the band were intending on bringing out a new album in 2010

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2009 6:05 AM

He was so cute!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2009 6:12 AM

Cunty replies aside, this is tragic because he is one of the ONLY well-known boy-band celebrities, besides Lance Bass, to ever come out of the closet. It may be almost certainly have been the result of an OD, but that doesn't change the fact that his death sucks, even if Gately wasn't widely known in the US.

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2009 6:40 AM

SAD, very sad. He was very cute as the little one in the back.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2009 6:59 AM

R17 = Eliza Dolittle

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2009 6:59 AM

LOL, R26. And what become of his straw hat what should have gone to me? I say them as pinched it done him in.

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2009 7:11 AM

He truly was the people's princess.

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2009 7:14 AM

So sad.

I believe he was the first boy band memnber to openly come out and marry. He and his husband were also subject to homophobic taunts and publically announced what was going on.

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2009 7:29 AM

He was gorgeous, and very brave to come out considering his fangurl fanbase

RIP

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2009 7:37 AM

[quote]Gately hit the head lines in June 1999 when he admitted he was gay in our sister paper the Sun disappointing hundreds of his girl fans.

Yes, but what about the hundreds of his gay male fans who were thrilled at the news? The media is always so negative.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2009 7:49 AM

News coverage is awful, even the BBC fails to say he's survived by his partner, let alone name him.

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2009 7:56 AM

In r14's picture, they all have tattoos. Gross!!

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2009 8:06 AM

This is very sad news. I hope that the cause of death isn't from drugs. It's rare enough to have openly gay entertainers and celebrities but all to often the moral majority assumes all gay men are drug users. Hopefully this won't be the case. Don't need anymore fuel for their fire. Rest in peace Stephen.

by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2009 8:13 AM

Do we know where Mary Kate was at the time?

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2009 8:22 AM

r32, Sky News (the nearest thing the UK has to Fox News) interviewed the tabloid journalist who broke the story, and he referred heavily to how his husband and family were obviously going to be devastated. I was surprised they didn't use air quotes when saying husband, or labour on the word 'civil partner'. Quite refreshing.

The BBC reporting has been patchy.

by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2009 8:37 AM

R27, you are god.

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2009 9:04 AM

Dannii Minogue probably had a hit out on him, seing as she is a vile homophobe who destests openly gay and BISEXUAL men in the music industry.

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2009 9:11 AM

Came out way before any US boybander

by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2009 9:14 AM

R32, this Norwegian newspaper has a long article on him, even a pic from when he married his partner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 11, 2009 9:25 AM

Did his husband find him?

by Anonymousreply 41October 11, 2009 9:33 AM

It's actually the #1 news right now on dagbladet.no, a Norwegian newspaper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 11, 2009 9:40 AM

When he came out he was in a steady relationship with another Euro boyband member from Caught in the Act. Man, this sucks. Celebs are dying left and right. Death must be in the need to impress someone with with his or her hits.

by Anonymousreply 43October 11, 2009 9:49 AM

His husband is FINE!

by Anonymousreply 44October 11, 2009 9:53 AM

I believe they were the first boyband that clearly alluded one of their members' homosexuality in a music video. What makes it particularly lovely is that it is done in a way that emphasises that it is as legitimate as the usual heteronormative rubbish that is spouted by mainstream pop music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 11, 2009 10:00 AM

Wow, I'm shocked. WTH?

by Anonymousreply 46October 11, 2009 10:05 AM

by Anonymousreply 47October 11, 2009 12:30 PM

No suspicious circumstances.

Louis will be on the X Factor tonight (does he care?).

by Anonymousreply 48October 11, 2009 12:52 PM

Boyzone singer Stephen Gately has been found dead at the age of 33. He died on Saturday while on holiday in Majorca.

Spanish police said there were no signs of suspicious circumstances but that the cause of death was not yet known.

Gately was on holiday with his long-term partner Andy Cowles. A statement from the singer's bandmates said they were "devastated" at the news.

They are expected to travel to Majorca. The Irish band had six UK number one hits in the 1990s and reformed in 2007.

The band's statement said: "Ronan, Keith, Mikey and Shane are devastated by the news and send their deepest sympathies to Stephen's family and his many friends all over the world."

Police said they were called to a house near Port d'Andratx on the western tip of the island on Saturday afternoon.

"At the moment it is not known how he died," the police spokesman said. "There are no signs of suspicious circumstances."

Boyzone manager Louis Walsh, who is due to appear as a judge on The X Factor results show on Sunday, told the News of the World newspaper: "We're all absolutely devastated."

He said: "I'm in complete shock. I was only with him on Monday at an awards ceremony. We don't know much about what's happened yet.

"I only heard after The X Factor and we will rally around each other this week. He was a great man."

Bertie Ahern, former Irish Taoiseach, described Gately as a personal friend and his death as a "huge, huge tragedy" for Irish music and culture.

Singer Sir Elton John said: "David and I are stunned by this tragedy. Stephen was the kindest, gentlest soul.

"We send our love and condolences to his partner Andy and to all his friends everywhere."

Writing on the micro-blogging website Twitter, broadcaster Stephen Fry said: "Just heard the very sad news about dear Stephen Gately.

"What a dreadful shock. He was loveable and sweet-natured and will be hugely missed."

Music journalist Paul Gambaccini said: "It's sad on a personal level and a professional level."

Boyzone sold more singles than Take That in the 1990s, he said, and had 16 Top 5 singles.

Going solo

A year before Boyzone split, Gately revealed that he was gay and had a boyfriend.

He later held a private civil partnership ceremony in London in 2006.

After Boyzone, Gately continued his career as a solo artist, but was dropped by Polydor in 2001 after three top 20 singles.

He enjoyed further success performing in musicals, including Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in 2003-04.

Gately also appeared in 2007 on ITV1's reality series Dancing on Ice, and was voted Hero of 1999 at the Smash Hits Poll Winners' Party.

His last message on Twitter, posted on 6 October, said: "Still busy - lots going on. Focussing on finishing my book next so may be quiet here."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 11, 2009 12:57 PM

[quote]Sorry to be blunt but when someone dies young 9 times out of 10 the reason is drugs

And it is crucial that we all jump to conclusions as fast as possible.

Thank you, R6, for once again reminding us that tossing out baseless assertions and implications are the way to go when viewing any news item.

Keep the Assumption flags flying!

by Anonymousreply 50October 11, 2009 1:13 PM

I'll tell you exactly what killed him: GHB.

Classic symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 51October 11, 2009 1:13 PM

r50, if you think r6 is bad, I just read about this news on Digital Spy forum where someone raised HIV as the cause.

by Anonymousreply 52October 11, 2009 1:25 PM

I guess it is silly of me to be bothered by the let's-just-spew-uninformed-bullshit posts on here. This is a gossip site, and it is where idiots feel free to say whatever pops into their idiotic heads.

And, as grandma would have said of R51, "Another country heard from."

by Anonymousreply 53October 11, 2009 1:36 PM

[quote] This is a gossip site, and it is where idiots feel free to say whatever pops into their idiotic heads.

Exactly right. It's the disclaimer for everything here. You knew it. There's really no use complaining about it. Would you even be upset if it was about someone you didn't have any knowledge of?

by Anonymousreply 54October 11, 2009 2:01 PM

Sad. I always admired him for coming out.

He could have died for a lot of different reasons: heart attack, stroke, aneurysm - young, seemingly healthy people do die of those things as well.

by Anonymousreply 55October 11, 2009 2:13 PM

This is so sad. I hope he finds some peace.

by Anonymousreply 56October 11, 2009 2:32 PM

What makes you think he wasn't at peace 56. Seems a weird thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 57October 11, 2009 2:41 PM

Louis is not going to be on the X-Factor tonight.

by Anonymousreply 58October 11, 2009 4:10 PM

All the bullshit and homophobia he had to go through by coming out in the national spotlight, R57.

by Anonymousreply 59October 11, 2009 4:14 PM

Follow the money. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 60October 11, 2009 4:20 PM

[quote]Follow the money. That is all.

Ohmigod! I knew the Nixon White House had to be behind this!

The man is still the puppet master, even in the grave!

by Anonymousreply 61October 11, 2009 4:25 PM

"R2" Thanks for the link to that beautiful video. He certainly had a lot of talent and represented gay life today. He will be missed. I know someone who recently died, around his same age, who had an undetected weak spot in the main artery leading from his heart; that guy, like Stephen, died unexpectantly when the Anurism burst. The dude I know was fit, health conscious, and didn't even drink.

by Anonymousreply 62October 11, 2009 4:35 PM

Look for the photos of the grassy knoll in Majorca. Study them. You will find the answers.

by Anonymousreply 63October 11, 2009 4:37 PM

The music in the Europe is so much better than the noise we get here in the USA. The kids are all cute on both continents, but the talent is difference is vast.

by Anonymousreply 64October 11, 2009 4:52 PM

[quote]Look for the photos of the grassy knoll in Majorca. Study them.

OMG! That's gay icon Miley Cyrus on the grassy knoll. She's standing next to DL fave Kanye West.

by Anonymousreply 65October 11, 2009 4:56 PM

Isn't that just the unvarnished truth, R64!

by Anonymousreply 66October 11, 2009 4:58 PM

This was the video that made me fall in love with him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 11, 2009 5:02 PM

Boyzone aren't British either, r20.

by Anonymousreply 68October 11, 2009 5:03 PM

Jordan isn't a singer, r66, and Peter Andre started his musical career in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 69October 11, 2009 5:04 PM

Jordan has tried her hand at everything, R69. And I do mean [italic]everything[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 70October 11, 2009 5:07 PM

I really like that song "Better". Probably the best song they ever made, beautiful music video too.

by Anonymousreply 71October 11, 2009 5:13 PM

The X Factor will not do a tribute, but Simon will say something, and there will be no big fanfair at the beginning of the show.

by Anonymousreply 72October 11, 2009 5:14 PM

Be it drugs or not, but isn't this the nicest way to pass away? You go aslep and you just don't wake up. Reading about Farrah Fawcett's or Patrick Swayzee's years long ailing, I find this kind of death actually a bit comforting. It's the way of dying we all want for ourselves. Sure, he doed too young. But he doesn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 73October 11, 2009 6:02 PM

Tru dat, R73

by Anonymousreply 74October 11, 2009 6:10 PM

Psssst I heard he was a queer.

by Anonymousreply 75October 11, 2009 6:16 PM

R68, British or Irish -- what's the difference? I surely didn't care when I was 15.

by Anonymousreply 76October 11, 2009 6:24 PM

A spokesman for the police in Spain said Gately died at 1.45pm in his house in Port Andratx, and added: "At the moment it is not known how he died. There are no signs of suspicious circumstances."

Speaking from Majorca, Sky News reporter Mark Stone said that police found the body on the sofa in the lounge and there were a total of two people present at the apartment.

He said: "Details remain pretty unclear. We managed to take a look at some documents, they tell us that police received the body around half past four."

He added that Gately had been out the night before, saying: "We think we know he was drinking in a bar, perhaps they went to a restaurant, but none of this is confirmed."

The News of the World reported that Gately went to sleep after a night out and failed to wake up.

A post mortem is due to take place on Tuesday.

A spokesman for Gately's family said they were "shattered" and were hoping to hold the funeral in Dublin.

Gerald Kean added: "There's no foul play involved and it's not suicide. It's just a tragic accident is what we've been told and we're happy that that is correct information.

"There is nothing untoward, it's not drugs, we don't believe, it's not suicide, it's not murder, it's not a fight. That's what we've been told."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 11, 2009 6:24 PM

'We think we know'? My english teacher would have hit me for that.

by Anonymousreply 78October 11, 2009 6:33 PM

Who would have been outed in the book?

by Anonymousreply 79October 11, 2009 6:33 PM

i was wondering why there is no sing of this news on Perez's site... maybe he's busy covering Castro's demise??

by Anonymousreply 80October 11, 2009 6:40 PM

Stephen Gately died from SUDS (Sudden Unexplained Death Syndrome). All the clues point to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 11, 2009 6:42 PM

I didn't even know that Charles Perez has a website. Has he found an on-air job yet?

by Anonymousreply 82October 11, 2009 6:44 PM

When he came out, the band, management and label were afraid of a huge backlash, especially from their female fans. To their surprise, their website was swamped by positive messages, even to the point of crashing the site for a few hours.

by Anonymousreply 83October 11, 2009 9:09 PM

Kind of pisses on the "you can't be out and have support from your fans/a career".

by Anonymousreply 84October 11, 2009 9:12 PM

But their fans were Europeans r84, not fundy-raised kids in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 85October 11, 2009 9:29 PM

Latest news is that the police are looking for a Bulgarian man that was invited back to the coupples appartment the night Gately died.

by Anonymousreply 86October 11, 2009 9:41 PM

The singer is reported to have been in his pyjamas. "He was in a strange position,"� an investigator said. "He was squatting on the sofa, almost in a praying position."�

by Anonymousreply 87October 11, 2009 10:38 PM

GATELY TAKES A POUNDING

21/10/2003

Gately takes a pounding

Singer Stephen Gately has spoken to 3am about the violent bust-up with his partner that saw the pair punching and kicking each other in the street.

The former Boyzone singer says he was mortified when he was snapped getting a pasting from Andrew Cowles on the pavement outside London celeb haunt The Ivy on Saturday night.

The couple - who "tied the knot" in August at a special ceremony in Vegas - were having dinner with two friends when they started bickering.

But when they decided to take it outside, 27-year-old Stephen got caught in a headlock by internet manager Andrew.

And when he broke free the pair proceeded to pound the living daylights out of each other. Stephen - who's about to finish a nine-month run as Joseph in the West End - rang 3am yesterday to explain the lovers' tiff.

"You know what it's like - boys will be boys," he said. "It only lasted a few minutes. We don't really know what happened.

"It was over something really stupid and I can't remember much of it. We were very tipsy and tired as we'd just got back from Dublin.

"Andrew's getting the blame for whacking me but that's not fair. I whacked him first.

"Let's just say that we'll never do that again. And what better place to have an argument then outside The Ivy! It's terrible.

"We've laughed about it since but we both feel very silly." Stephen said he and Andrew have kissed and made up and even went out shopping together yesterday.

"We had a lovely day on Bond Street where we popped in to Cartier to see if our wedding rings were ready to collect."

Andrew, 27, told us that this was their first-ever fight.

"We've never hit each other before. It was just a tipsy bitch-slap situation. We even managed to upstage George Michael. He was at the next table.

We thought he'd get all the press that night. I really hope he didn't see us out on the street."

Our eyewitness Greg Brennan - who stepped in to save Stephen from further punishment - had a slightly different version of events. He says: "Andrew gave Stephen a pounding. He was punching and kicking him.

"I had to do something - he was kicking him in the head.

"I managed to drag Andrew off and Stephen ran back to the restaurant to clean himself up. There was some blood and he was crying his eyes out.

"A policeman saw what had happened and Stephen just passed it off as a lovers' tiff - but it was pure domestic violence in my eyes.

"I've seen a lot celebrities getting into fights in my time but this was one of the worst.

"Poor Stephen took a load of shots to the head with both fists and feet. It was bang out of order."

Isn't married life grand, boys...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 11, 2009 11:02 PM

From The Guardian:

Boyzone's Stephen Gately was no pioneer but he broke other barriers

You would have a hard time positioning the late Stephen Gately as a musical pioneer, at least based on the records he made: with the best will in the world, it seems unlikely that the treacly oeuvre of Boyzone or indeed his version of the Watership Down theme Bright Eyes will ring down the ages as an example of thrilling, boundary-breaking pop music. But in one sense Gately, who died on Saturday aged 33 (not from drugs, or suicide his family insist), was a pioneer in the pop world, albeit an unwitting and unwilling one: the first member of a boyband to come out as gay, in the Sun in June 1999.

In one sense, it came as no surprise. The symbiotic relationship between gay men and teen pop dates back half a century: the charts had barely begun when the homosexual impresario Larry Parnes began flooding them with pseudonymous teen idols called things like Marty Wilde, Billy Fury and Tommy Steele.

In the 1980s, there were plenty of openly gay pop stars, from Jimmy Somerville to Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Holly Johnson, but while boybands such as Take That were marketed as aggressively to gay men as they were to teenage girls, something of the closet still clung to their world.

Unlike the edgy Frankie Goes To Hollywood or the politically-minded Somerville, boybands existed solely to provide unthreatening light entertainment. Rumours regularly circulated on the sexuality of various boyband members, but were never confirmed, presumably for fear of alienating part of that audience.

Boyzone's manager Louis Walsh later claimed in an interview with The Irish Times that had he known of Gately's sexuality, he would have thought twice about including him in the band: "It wasn't cool, then, to have a gay guy in the band," he said, adding that Gately was "absolutely paranoid" about his sexuality being revealed.

Accordingly, Gately didn't come out of his own free will. In 1999, the Sun approached him with a story sold to them by a former Boyzone security guard, alleging the singer was gay. After two weeks of talks between the tabloid, Boyzone's management, their record label and PR, the Sun ran with a different exclusive: "Boyzone Stephen: I'm gay and in love". "Three weeks ago, Boyzone's Stephen Gately asked the Sun to help him come out," claimed the paper's editorial, imaginatively.

But if Gately's hand was forced, the reaction was not. The teenage girls resolutely failed to desert him � at the end of 1999, he was voted Smash Hits readers' Hero of the Year. Gately's career continued undefined by his sexuality � he was a pop star who happened to be gay, rather than a gay pop star � a fact that presumably made the decision to come out easier for Will Young, or Westlife's Mark Feehily, or N'Sync's Lance Bass.

On the night Gately died, X Factor judge Dannii Minogue tried a clumsy joke about contestant Danyl Johnson's sexuality. The studio audience received it in stony silence: not shocked so much as "so what?" It would be ridiculous to call that reaction the legacy of Gately coming out, but it is not entirely unlinked. He was the first person to prove mainstream pop audiences were less bigoted than some had feared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 12, 2009 12:21 AM

The other members of the group have arrived on Majorca.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 12, 2009 12:43 AM

I hope the partner didn't kill him..

by Anonymousreply 91October 12, 2009 12:53 AM

Spanish police were last night trying to trace a man who was at Stephen Gately's apartment on the night the Boyzone star mysteriously died.

Gately and partner Andy Cowles had invited a Bulgarian called Giorgio back to their �1million Majorcan holiday home after they met at a nightclub in Palma on Friday night.

The 33-year-old singer is understood to have fallen asleep on the sofa but is thought to have died after choking on his own vomit following a drinking session.

He was found by his distraught partner on Saturday afternoon but it is unclear whether Giorgio had left the flat before Gately died.

Police believe the Bulgarian could help them unravel the mystery surrounding the death.

A friend of Mr Cowles, who married Gately in a civil ceremony in 2006, said he was in a 'terrible state'.

Andy was alone in the flat when he discovered Stephen's body,' she said. 'It was absolutely horrific.'

Mr Cowles was said to have battled to save Gately - giving him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

But Gately, who was wearing pyjamas, had drowned from the fluid on his lungs.

Gately was discovered at 1.45pm on Saturday in the apartment in the exclusive resort of Port Andratx in south west Majorca.

One investigator said: 'He was in a strange position. He was found squatting down on the sofa almost in a praying position.'

A post-mortem examination is expected to be carried out tomorrow because it is a public holiday in Spain today.

Gately and Mr Cowles, who also shared a flat in North London, had just finished doing up their holiday apartment and were said to be 'excited' about their first stay in it.

They are understood to have been celebrating completing the renovations when they went to the Black Cat nightclub on Friday. They are believed to have left at about 4.30am.

It is not known if Giorgio left Gately's flat before or after he was found dead.

A police source said: 'We do not think this man is involved in any way in Stephen's death but his testimony could prove vital.

There were no signs of violence or evidence of suicide or any obvious evidence pointing to another probable cause of death such as the use of drugs.'

Last night Mr Cowles was too upset to talk as he was comforted by his two sisters who had travelled to Majorca to be with him.

Gately's bandmates Ronan Keating, Keith Duffy, Mikey Graham and Shane Lynch flew out to the island by private jet last night, immediately heading to the apartment where he died.

Dressed in dark clothes, they entered the apartment block through a side entrance. They said in a statement that they were distraught by the death of their 'friend and brother'.

Boyzone manager Louis Walsh said: 'I can't believe he has gone. I'm in denial.'

Walsh withdrew from last night's X Factor show, where Simon Cowell paid tribute to Gately, but declared 'the show goes on'.

Sir Elton John said he was 'stunned' by the death, describing Gately as the 'kindest, gentlest soul'.

Gately's parents, Martin and Margaret, who live in Dublin were too upset to speak yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 12, 2009 1:03 AM

Well, at least he went out like a rock star.

by Anonymousreply 93October 12, 2009 1:07 AM

Mallorca doesn't go for booze or dope.

Oh, scratch that.

by Anonymousreply 94October 12, 2009 1:09 AM

suffocated by a Bulgarian sausage?

by Anonymousreply 95October 12, 2009 2:51 AM

What is it with you rich bitch Brits (and associated suburb countries) always toddling off to Majorca for [italic]holiday[/italic]?

Hable espanol? I seriously doubt it since I can barely understand anything you say over on BBC USA.

by Anonymousreply 96October 12, 2009 3:40 AM

Even the poor Brits and Irish go to Spain for holidays. Although, since the collapse of the Pound, the worst of the Chav trash have to settle for Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 97October 12, 2009 3:46 AM

2009 sure has been hard on celebrities. This really sucks

Maybe it's the rapture.

by Anonymousreply 98October 12, 2009 3:51 AM

[quote]Even the poor Brits and Irish go to Spain for holidays

Some of my Austrian friends go to Spain for holidays, too. I've been to Palma and it's beautiful. The Spanish Royal family has a summer palace there. Palma is one of my favorite places along the Med.

by Anonymousreply 99October 12, 2009 3:59 AM

Why do Brits travel at all? They can just stay in England and get pissed.

by Anonymousreply 100October 12, 2009 4:24 AM

But alas you still watch BBC America, r96.

by Anonymousreply 101October 12, 2009 8:44 AM

For the last time, Gately was NOT British, he was IRISH.

And, r33, yeah, it's nice that Sky News said husband, and not in air quotes, but Gately and Cowles were NOT husbands, but "civil partners".

by Anonymousreply 102October 12, 2009 8:48 AM

But r102, it's common parlance to refer to one's civil partner as husband or wife. People seems squeamish (to quote The Guardian yesterday) to still stick inverted commas around 'husband', 'civil partner', 'gay lover'.

Okay, it's not marriage. But civil partnership was intended to give gay people all the rights of straight people, and there is no prohibition against refering to one's partner as husband or wife, whether or not a piece of paper says different.

by Anonymousreply 103October 12, 2009 9:12 AM

Inverted commas? Do you mean apostrophes?

by Anonymousreply 104October 12, 2009 9:18 AM

Both actually, r104.

by Anonymousreply 105October 12, 2009 9:27 AM

[quote]Although, since the collapse of the Pound, the worst of the Chav trash have to settle for Jersey.

Sounds about right. In the mid-Atlantic region of the US, all the white trash vacation at the (New) Jersey Shore.

Guess we haven't gotten that far from our colonial rulers after all.

by Anonymousreply 106October 12, 2009 9:42 AM

BOYZONE'S Stephen Gately died after a wild eight-hour binge, The Sun can reveal.

The 33-year-old, who rarely drank, was "totally trashed" during a night at a gay club on Majorca with civil partner Andy Cowles.

They were seen downing potent cocktails and white wine before meeting up with a 25-year-old Bulgarian and returning to their �1million apartment where they continued boozing.

Andy discovered Stephen dead next morning. Police believe he had choked on his vomit.

Stephen and Andy, 32, had left their �1million apartment near Port d'Anratx at 9.30pm on Saturday and headed to a bar in capital Palma.

They then moved on to the city's top gay club, the Black Cat.

A partygoer who shared a drink with them revealed they were drinking heavily.

He said: "Stephen was totally trashed."

Stephen and Andy then met Giorgi Duchev.

He returned with them to the apartment at 4.30am.

Andy went off to bed at around 5.30am, leaving Stephen asleep on a sofa.

He found Stephen in a strange "prayer position" - squatting on the floor with his head face down on a pillow on the sofa - at around midday.

Andy frantically tried to revive his partner.

Cops were last night trying to trace Duchev.

A source said: "We do not believe there is foul play but his testimony is vital."

Stephen's Boyzone band mates, Ronan Keating, Keith Duffy, Mikey Graham and Shane Lynch, arrived in Majorca last night.

A spokesman for Ronan said he was "totally devastated".

The group's manager Louis Walsh cancelled his appearance on last night's X Factor to be with Stephen's family.

Simon Cowell told viewers: "This is really, really tragic news. I want to send out my condolences."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 12, 2009 10:16 AM

Hmm, the prayer position seems weird, makes me think he knew what was happening and prayed one last time before he died.

Does anyone know if he was religious? catholic?

by Anonymousreply 108October 12, 2009 10:41 AM

I am so sad about this. He was my favourite pop star growing up - I loved Boyzone but much preferred him to Ronan and was disappointed that he didn't experience the same success. He was by far the most talented of all of them.

However he died, it's tragic.

by Anonymousreply 109October 12, 2009 11:15 AM

>>Hmm, the prayer position seems weird, makes me think he knew what was happening and prayed one last time before he died.>>

He was drunk and might have moved around in his sleep. If he was very drunk maybe he wasn't aware of what was happening...I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 110October 12, 2009 11:51 AM

That's the whole problem, r102, because instead of fighting for our legal right to have marriage equality, people think "oh, it's just the same thing." You, r102, are the perfect example of why we are never going to have marriage equality in the UK! And, you do realise that your position on gay marriage is exactly like that of many Prop 8 supporters in California ("we don't mind them having legal rights, just as long as they don't call it marriage...").

If gay marriage is so widely accepted in the UK that people refer to civil partnerships as marriage and civil partners as husbands and wives then why are we not given that legal right? Why can we not refer to our civil partners as husband, wife or spouse on official and legal documents? Why do we have to have a special category invented just for us?

And, the one place where you are most definitely not permitted to refer to civil partnerships as marriage and your same-sex partner as your husband or wife is in a civil partnership ceremony!

At least Elton John was honest when he said he prefers being in a civil partnership because he doesn't want to be married (he had the option of being legally married, since his partner is Canadian, where they consider gay people as legally equal to straights).

R108, if Gately was conscious enough to put himself into a praying position then he wouldn't have been choking to death on his vomit.

by Anonymousreply 111October 12, 2009 11:57 AM

Sounds like he was drunk, maybe in a blackout and started vomiting in his sleep. Probably moved to try and get up but the fluid had entered into his lungs and he couldn't move. Poor guy.

by Anonymousreply 112October 12, 2009 11:59 AM

[quote]it's nice that Sky News said husband, and not in air quotes, but Gately and Cowles were NOT husbands, but "civil partners".

He vas his BOYFRIEND!

by Anonymousreply 113October 12, 2009 1:21 PM

r111, the problem in the UK is there is very little outrage/political will about gay marriage. The ease of achieving civil partnerships (thanks to EC law, not Tony Blair) seems to have created an apathy about the remaing inequality.

But, I find this constant argument insisting one is a 'civil partner' and not a 'husband/wife', to be counterproductive. The more often gay people use 'husband' or 'wife' in common parlance (which lots do), the more normalised it becomes, and when the political will changes, or a human right law forces the issue back into parliament, then middle England will not be resistent because the polarised difference 'gay partner' v 'straight wife/straight husband' are not so evident. (I don't suggest this would work in America).

by Anonymousreply 114October 12, 2009 1:33 PM

r114, he had a formal civil partnership in the UK with his husband/partner/love (whatever).

by Anonymousreply 115October 12, 2009 1:38 PM

What are the differences (if any) between a civil ceremony and a marriage in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 116October 12, 2009 1:48 PM

There's a lesson to be learned here guys! Don't drink too much..

by Anonymousreply 117October 12, 2009 1:54 PM

Prayer position? Actually more like a puke position.

by Anonymousreply 118October 12, 2009 1:54 PM

Legal civil partnership gives all the same legal rights as civil marriage.

The major differences I can think of:

The name: partnership v marriage, husband/wife v partner.

Straight people cannot have a civil partnership (many want that option because they do not like the concept of 'marriage').

Gay people cannot have a religious marriage (although some do have a church ceremony followed by the civil partnership cermony).

by Anonymousreply 119October 12, 2009 2:01 PM

He was watching Obama's HRC speech and then croaked.

by Anonymousreply 120October 12, 2009 2:02 PM

Religious marriages should not be allowed. Do you go to the church for a divorce? Of course not. You go to the local government to cancel the marriage contract. That same government should be the only place you can go to make the contract in the first place.

The way to marrige equality is NOT to push for gay marriage, it's to push the churches out of the marriage business. You'll have their heads spinning so fast over losing that income that they won't even notice a forward movement for civil rights for gays.

by Anonymousreply 121October 12, 2009 2:09 PM

We have gay marriage, but we don't have religious marriages. It's odd. The state church is concidered to be quite liberal, but the priests still refuse to marry gay couples.

by Anonymousreply 122October 12, 2009 2:13 PM

I saw what you did there, R122.

by Anonymousreply 123October 12, 2009 2:31 PM

The main difference between civil marriages and civil partnerships are that because British society apparently could not accept the concept that gay relationships are as valid as straight relationships a new category had to be invented for gay people. This category of civil partnership does not have the same cultural value and social validity as that of a civil marriage for heterosexual people, which is why people abandon the actual vocabulary of civil partnerships and start talking in terms of "marriage" and "husband" or "wife".

Gately died in Spain. They are proud enough to have full gay marriage there.

by Anonymousreply 124October 12, 2009 2:33 PM

[qoute]Poor guy.

Poor guy? He apparently drank himself to death. Totally preventable with his whole life in front of him. He should get a Darwin Award nomination.

by Anonymousreply 125October 12, 2009 2:39 PM

I guess you've never had too much to drink, R125? Maybe you'd be more comfortable on a freeper board.

by Anonymousreply 126October 12, 2009 2:44 PM

The family and police have denied the 8 hour binge theory that's in the tabloids.

by Anonymousreply 127October 12, 2009 2:49 PM

You know R125 maybe it would be better to wait for the official autopsy report later in the week instead of speculating about every piece of shite that the Scum or the Daily Fail have heard from "a source close to a member of the family who talked to a friend of a friend of the neighbour who met Stephen once for 5 minutes in the corridor of the building six months ago".

by Anonymousreply 128October 12, 2009 3:08 PM

'The ease of achieving civil partnerships (thanks to EC law, not Tony Blair) seems to have created an apathy about the remaing inequality.'

How do you work this piece of nonsense out, R114? There's nothing in EU law to compel the introduction of civil partnerships. You're probably ignorantly confusing it with the gays in the army question, or just blinded by Blair-hate.

by Anonymousreply 129October 12, 2009 3:14 PM

R125, being gay, he wasn't really eligable for a Darwin award. The award is given for people who take themselves out of the gene pool via ultimate stupidity. Given he was already out of the gene pool, due to sexual orientation, he doesn't qualify.

I know you were just trying to be snarky and hateful, but I thought I should correct you.

by Anonymousreply 130October 12, 2009 3:15 PM

[quote]I know you were just trying to be snarky and hateful, but I thought I should correct you.

I wasn't trying to be snarky and hateful in the least, but if indeed he did drink himself to death, I should weep for him? Don't think so. And as for you 126, no I haven't had too much to drink. I'm far from a Freeper, you Cunt, but have seen the damage alcohol has done to people, from killing while driving drunk to people making life threatening choices that I choose to not drink and have never been drunk.

by Anonymousreply 131October 12, 2009 3:21 PM

Actually Freepers are major drunks.

by Anonymousreply 132October 12, 2009 3:22 PM

Is it just me, or does anyone else picture the golddigger "husband" Andrew watching Stephen's agonizing death dance ala Bette Davis in THE LITTLE FOXES. There's more to this story than meets the eye kiddies.

by Anonymousreply 133October 12, 2009 3:22 PM

R131, he was out having fun, partying, and didn't exactly do it on purpose. It was an accident and a tragedy. It's not even like he was a habitual alcoholic and this was 'inevitable'.

by Anonymousreply 134October 12, 2009 3:29 PM

I met Stephen Gately and his "Husband" at Threapy in NYC right after they got married. They seemed like nice kids, but the more they drank the nastier they got. Then one of them (Don't remember which one) had a wondering eye, and I commented to the other one about it and he got all uppity about it. He got really nasty about it and told the person I was with that she needed a new friends! I didn't think their union would last. I guess it didn't.

by Anonymousreply 135October 12, 2009 3:39 PM

Have no idea what Boyzone is. Have no idea who he is. Cute, sad. Substance use/abuse no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 136October 12, 2009 3:50 PM

Looks like they picked up a bulgarian in a bar, went back for a threesome. The trick left and poor Steven stayed up while the husband went to bed. Steven choked on his own vomit while hubby was asleep in other room.

All very sad.

The threesome thing is a ticking bomb waiting to go off. The hideous Daily Mail has started hinting at it already. As for their vile readers with their snide bigotry...urgh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137October 12, 2009 5:29 PM

r129, 'Blair-hate' is last year's chip paper - it's 'Brown-hate' now (which I do subscribe to, so you can keep your knickers in a twist about that).

As for EC law, it does indeed grant rights that can be used to challenge the absence of equal rights for gay couples. Check out the decisions of the ECtHR.

by Anonymousreply 138October 12, 2009 5:35 PM

Isn't the 'gold-digger' wealthy in his own right? Some sort of internet entrepreneur who was friends with Elton?

by Anonymousreply 139October 12, 2009 5:53 PM

R138, what are you talking about? What do you mean by EC? The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR, not ECtHR) has nothing to do with the European Union (EU). It is instead run by the Council of Europe, which includes countries like Russia and Turkey.

In any case, Blair still sucks, as does the whole Labour party. Zapatero is cool for having introduced gay *marriage*, something which their fellow strongly Catholic neighbour Portugal is planning on doing too. Don't know why we can't have the same in the UK.

And I don't understand why Gately's family are getting so offended at implications he drank himself to death. Clearly something untoward happened.

by Anonymousreply 140October 12, 2009 5:58 PM

Charlie at r136, if you have no idea then don't bother to comment. Especially since your cliche suggestion of "substance use/abuse" is way off base.

by Anonymousreply 141October 12, 2009 6:01 PM

Why couldn't it have been Madonna instead?

by Anonymousreply 142October 12, 2009 6:06 PM

R140, it was The Labour Party that introduced gay marriage here too, so Labour is not all bad, well, at least not the Norwegian one! lol.

by Anonymousreply 143October 12, 2009 6:18 PM

No one eats their own like those of us in this community. You all should be ashamed for your vicious smears and lies. This man was courageous and taught ALL of us how to live life with dignity and courage and pride.

You are despicable and I hope you turn to God every noght and ask for His forgiveness.

God bless this man and his family. May they find peace.

by Anonymousreply 144October 12, 2009 6:24 PM

Why couldn't it have been Andrew Sullivan instead?

I have no fear, though, that Sullivan will choke to death in his own vomit or perish in a tragic fisting accident soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 145October 12, 2009 6:35 PM

As usual, Charlie offers his personal opinion before the facts are in. Focus, Charlie, focus!

by Anonymousreply 146October 12, 2009 6:42 PM

r140, the European Convention on Human Rights is abbreviated to the "ECHR", the European Court of Human Rights is abbreviated to "ECtHR".

by Anonymousreply 147October 12, 2009 7:04 PM

R133, what a sick scenario! It's horrible to think that the last thing that choking man saw was his boyfriend and the horsehung Belgian stud naked and coolly watching him die. Talk about a platinum-plated opportunity for that grasping husband to rid himself of the aging boyband queen. Just sit back and do nothing! And that lucky trick! The husband wil be buying his silence for the rest of his life. It's all so deliciously twisted, like an Agatha Christie mystery.

by Anonymousreply 148October 12, 2009 7:12 PM

Georgi apparently broke his silence because of the rumour he was in bed with Andrew Cowles - although he hasn't denied that was the case.

The tabloids are starting to make this into a sordid tale.

by Anonymousreply 149October 12, 2009 7:25 PM

"God bless this man and his family."

Darling, God just killed him.

So He may be a bit late for the blessing his family bit . . .

by Anonymousreply 150October 12, 2009 7:32 PM

"Especially since your cliche suggestion of "substance use/abuse" is way off base."

It is reported that booze was the cause, so not so off base, fangurl

by Anonymousreply 151October 12, 2009 7:33 PM

[quote]The tabloids are starting to make this into a sordid tale.

But it IS, Blanche, it IS!

by Anonymousreply 152October 12, 2009 7:44 PM

[quote]No one eats their own like those of us in this community. You all should be ashamed for your vicious smears and lies. This man was courageous and taught ALL of us how to live life with dignity and courage and pride.You are despicable and I hope you turn to God every noght and ask for His forgiveness.God bless this man and his family. May they find peace.

Jesus, MARY! and Joseph.

by Anonymousreply 153October 12, 2009 7:47 PM

r152, true, it seems to be that way.

by Anonymousreply 154October 12, 2009 7:54 PM

"Why couldn't it have been Madonna instead?"

The Madonna bashers continue to make themselves look awful.

by Anonymousreply 155October 12, 2009 8:19 PM

It's well known in circles that know that Miss Gately lived a life of debauchery and depravity.

by Anonymousreply 156October 12, 2009 8:25 PM

Do tell Charlie, do tell!

by Anonymousreply 157October 12, 2009 8:29 PM

The Bulgarian twink found him. Sounds like a three-way that turned into a two-way with the hubby and the trick. Gately, rejected, goes out to the sofa, hurls, chokes, and dies.

And this is why three-ways don't work.

by Anonymousreply 158October 12, 2009 8:37 PM

Exactly, Juanita @R150.

by Anonymousreply 159October 12, 2009 9:21 PM

The fugly Bulgarian twink (pic at link) was obviously fucking the husbear until lunchtime in the bedroom and came out to find poor, lonely Stephen dead on the sofa. Some threesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160October 12, 2009 10:14 PM

The husband is seriously hot. The Bulgarian is not. Gross. I'm sure Andrew will get over it quick enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161October 12, 2009 10:16 PM

That Bulgarian is just plain nasty. And don't lie, bitches, many of you have shit for taste and would gladly hit that.

by Anonymousreply 162October 12, 2009 10:31 PM

"Poor guy? He apparently drank himself to death. Totally preventable with his whole life in front of him. He should get a Darwin Award nomination"

Dying from drinking too much is rare. How was he supposed to know he would die?

by Anonymousreply 163October 12, 2009 10:40 PM

[quote]How was he supposed to know he would die?

He could have asked Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 164October 12, 2009 10:46 PM

Is booze a substance, r151, because methinks Charlie actually meant drugs.

by Anonymousreply 165October 12, 2009 10:47 PM

I'm surprised the family are so quick to rule-out the drug issue, surely they'd be concerned he was slipped a mickey in the 'seedy' club?

by Anonymousreply 166October 12, 2009 10:54 PM

Sorry to be off-thread, but, r147, the European Court of Human Rights refers to itself in short as the ECHR. More to the point, it has not obliged Council of Europe members to introduce gay marriage or civil partnerships.

Still not sure what is meant by "EC law" at r138. Anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167October 12, 2009 10:56 PM

Are you suggesting, R158, that Gately was the Charlie Brown of the attempted three-way?

by Anonymousreply 168October 12, 2009 10:57 PM

Some of you people are mean bastards and bitches, pure and simple. No one deserves to die in such a manner. I adore this comment at the Times:

Margaretta Ngernhay wrote: I have been drinking nearly 8 hours a day for the last 25 years. If someone with no known medical condition dies at 33 then I can assure you it is not drink that is to blame.

Unless they have been making prescription and/or non prescription smoothies.

by Anonymousreply 169October 13, 2009 12:14 AM

This is our September Elevent . . . never mind.

by Anonymousreply 170October 13, 2009 12:32 AM

He probably died because he could no longer tolerate the indignity of living as a second class citizen in the United States. I've heard of this happening numerous times, but "experts" attribute the death to alcohol and/or drugs.

by Anonymousreply 171October 13, 2009 5:07 AM

Gately's family are insisting it was the husband who found the body, and not the trick. Looks like they can't see the tree for the woods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172October 13, 2009 6:24 AM

Who's going to break the news to R171 that SG didn't live in the USA?

by Anonymousreply 173October 13, 2009 7:23 AM

Thanks for the link "R45", that song and its message is absolutely beautiful. I kept thinking about how much my partner and I have grown in the years that we have been together. I love him more than when we met; he is my hero, my friend, and my lover. God blessed us both. Stephen will be missed.

by Anonymousreply 174October 13, 2009 7:50 AM

Where was God for Stephen, R174?

by Anonymousreply 175October 13, 2009 12:51 PM

Boyzone Give Stephen Gately A Dignity The Media Cannot Handle

STEPHEN Gately is not long dead. The Daily Mail has led the tabloids� charge to bury him not praise him, peppering a report of the former Boyzone singers early demise with suicide, drugs, depression, domestic violence and his sexuality.

Today the post-mortem will discover if Gately died from being gay, Irish, or whatever else pushed him to the margins of what Mail readers would term �decent society�.

Police in Majorca says there were �no signs of suspicious circumstances�.

Which brings us to the Sun�s front-page headline:

�I FOUND STEPHEN PALE AND COLD.�

Well, he can�t get on with everybody, nor be orangey-brown as the Simon Cowell pop factory paints its uniform acts.

It�s turns out that a Georgi Dochev says Gately was pale and cold when he had died. The singer was �very cold and white�.

As front page shockers go, news that a dead body was cold is right up with news that Katie Price sleeps on her back, the Pope has a balcony and the BNP is not keen on immigrants.

But here�s Dochev to deliver his �I was there� moment:

�I almost have not slept since this happened. I found Stephen dead and I woke his husband. I am still nervous and really upset.�

He tells the Sun. As for the background story:

Mr Dochev is believed to have accompanied Gately and his partner, Andrew Cowles, back to the apartment in the resort of Port Andratx in the early hours of Saturday. He confirmed he had spoken to police who are investigating the death.

The tabloids chip away. But there appears to be a quiet dignity surrounding Gately�s death. His former Boyzone bandmates Ronan Keating, Keith Duffy, Mikey Graham and Shane Lynch flew out to the scene to pay their respects.

A spokesman tells us:

�All the boys are home now. They went there to pay their respects and start dealing with the fall-out of the situation. However, it�s clear that them being there at the moment is bringing a lot more attention to the situation.�

So they left. They did not announce a comeback tour, call for an urgent investigation, speculate on Gately�s state of mind, talk to the media nor grandstand and make themselves the centre of attention. They came. They saw. They left.

It�s more than the media can handle�

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176October 13, 2009 1:05 PM

Gately 'died of natural causes'

The late Boyzone singer Stephen Gately died of natural causes, a post mortem examination in Spain has established.

An official said he suffered a pulmonary oedema, which is an accumulation of fluid on the lungs.

The 33-year-old star was found dead at his holiday home in Majorca on Saturday.

The judge has also authorised Gately's civil partner Andrew Cowles and family to take his body home to Ireland so funeral arrangements can be made.

'No foul play'

The toxicology results have not yet been released as they take longer.

A sample of fluid taken during the post-mortem will also be sent to a forensic laboratory in Barcelona for further tests to confirm the result.

Despite speculation, the family had denied he had taken drugs, drunk heavily or killed himself.

Family lawyer Gerald Kean said papers have been signed to allow the release of his body, but added it may be two days before it is returned to Ireland.

"The family's only wish is to get their son and brother home as soon as possible," he said.

Speaking on GMTV this morning, Mr Kean said: "We are absolutely happy that there is no foul play."

"We are not saying he was not drinking but eight hours is not something we accept," Mr Kean said.

It is believed that Gately died after falling asleep on a sofa after a night out in the city of Palma.

Police said there were "no signs of suspicious circumstances".

It had been widely reported that Gately and Cowles returned to their luxury holiday apartment with another man.

Boyzone members flew out to Majorca to comfort the singer's civil partner Andrew Cowles, but they have returned home now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177October 13, 2009 1:11 PM

Cowles must be overwhelmed with guilt for not being with him (and possibly being in bed with another guy).

Sad tale.

by Anonymousreply 178October 13, 2009 1:45 PM

R169 is correct. Drugs are involved here, at a level not yet known. The most experienced drinkers no longer vomit from their acts, making that an unlikely cause for the accident. You have to be in a mental state not only fucked up, but so fucked up that you aren't immediately awakened by self-puking, something that happens except to the most inviolate of alkies. It happens all the time if you're a heroin addict, however.

by Anonymousreply 179October 13, 2009 2:03 PM

Would drugs cause pulmonary oedema? Surely a heart problem would be more likely?

by Anonymousreply 180October 13, 2009 2:17 PM

R179, his family said he hardly ever drank, but he apparently got very drunk the night he died. So he probably had a blackout and vomited and suffocated. There's not necessarily drugs involved here.

by Anonymousreply 181October 13, 2009 2:19 PM

I puked in bed and breathed some of it into my lungs and was hospitalized with pneumonia.

I've been sober 22 years but you guys hate AA so I'll leave that there.

This can happen.

by Anonymousreply 182October 13, 2009 2:47 PM

Yep, the Norwegian newspaper VG confirms it. He died of fluid in his lungs..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183October 13, 2009 2:59 PM

Well since Norwegian is widely spoken on this forum, we'll all totter off to the official confirmation on that site, rather than the good old BBC.

Although your link wasn't in vein r183, as it was advertising this charming apparel...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184October 13, 2009 3:09 PM

LOL, R184! First of all, Norwegian is not that different from English, I'm sure you could understand some of it. Secondly, have you ever heard of google translate?

by Anonymousreply 185October 13, 2009 3:14 PM

"his family said he hardly ever drank"

Like they know what the fuck he does while having a three-way (with a guy picked up at a sleazy bar) on holiday.

by Anonymousreply 186October 13, 2009 3:15 PM

Actually I must admit your link was interesting, r185. Strangely, it has video footage of Boyzone that none of the British papers have got.

by Anonymousreply 187October 13, 2009 3:23 PM

Fucking hell I've never read such armchair pathologists as you lot.

First you were condeming him for drinking and being strung out on drugs then when it's proven he's not been on anything, you're hellbent on trying to see well, he WAS really on something.

And his partner should rightly feel VERY guilty. Slut.

by Anonymousreply 188October 13, 2009 3:59 PM

"The fugly Bulgarian twink (pic at link) was obviously fucking the husbear until lunchtime in the bedroom and came out to find poor, lonely Stephen dead on the sofa."

Now THIS is an awful threesome experience!

by Anonymousreply 189October 13, 2009 4:00 PM

It seems like if the husband/partner had been in the room he could've saved him.

If I were the husband I'd be so overwhelmed with guilt it would be hard to go on. (Yes, I know, Mary!, but it's true.)

by Anonymousreply 190October 13, 2009 4:05 PM

A 33 year old with no heart history dying of pulmonary edema is not a "natural" death.

by Anonymousreply 191October 13, 2009 4:43 PM

R185, could you please explain to us what that thing in r184's link is? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 192October 13, 2009 4:49 PM

[quote]Well since Norwegian is widely spoken on this forum

Although English, apparently, is not.

[quote]Although your link wasn't in vein

See?

by Anonymousreply 193October 13, 2009 4:51 PM

You must be a lot of fun at parties, R193.

by Anonymousreply 194October 13, 2009 5:32 PM

Pulmonary edema can be the result of barbiturate overdose. And CO poisoning. And salicylate poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 195October 13, 2009 5:43 PM

The Bulgarian twink was just shown on Sky news coming out of another nightclub, despite saying he will 'never get over this', that hasn't prevented him from partying (so soon).

by Anonymousreply 196October 13, 2009 8:08 PM

They say he died of "natural causes" according to Yahoo.

by Anonymousreply 197October 13, 2009 8:16 PM

"A 33 year old with no heart history dying of pulmonary edema is not a "natural" death."

Actually, it is. A death is considered "natural causes" if it's not caused by an accident, homicide, or outside cause.

by Anonymousreply 198October 13, 2009 8:19 PM

According to Reuters: A post mortem carried out on Boyzone singer Stephen Gately on the Spanish island of Majorca revealed on Tuesday that he died of fluid on the lungs, a court official said on Tuesday.

The preliminary findings of the post mortem were given to the deceased Irish singer's partner Andrew Cowles by the judge of Court number 10 in Palma de Mallorca.

by Anonymousreply 199October 13, 2009 11:35 PM

Is drowning in your vomit a peaceful way to die? I believe the Bulgarian described Stephen as kneeling with his face buried into the cushions of the sofa.

by Anonymousreply 200October 13, 2009 11:53 PM

I'm an "experienced" drinker in that I've had quite a few drinks in my life. But I'm a social drinker and, thus, maybe drink at a bar once or twice a month.

Unfortunately, even I don't know my limits sometimes. Last Friday night - the night before Mr. Gately died - I went out drinking, had maybe 7 or 8 drinks and went I got home I thought I would die from the vomiting and nearly passed out on the floor.

Fortunately, I was lucky. And it proves that it can even happen to those of us who are "experienced" drinkers.

by Anonymousreply 201October 14, 2009 12:11 AM

Yes, this can happen to anyone, especially if you are not usually a heavy drinker. It's unfortunate that his husband didn't look after him that night and make sure he didn't choke.

by Anonymousreply 202October 14, 2009 12:25 AM

Yeah, well. His husband was busy with the Bulgarian, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 203October 14, 2009 12:32 AM

Andrew was in the other room getting strange dick while Stephen choked to death. Let's call it for what it is.

by Anonymousreply 204October 14, 2009 2:23 AM

Stephen Gately smoked cannabis on the night he died, his civil partner has told Spanish police.

Andrew Cowles, 32, told investigators the Irish popstar had taken the Class B drug.

However, Spanish authorities have said that neither drink nor drugs played any part in his death. And according to friends, the popstar was a regular user.

'Yes he did enjoy smoking cannabis quite often but his lifestyle was far from rock and roll,� said one.

Results of the post mortem carried out on Tuesday indicate the Boyzone singer died from a heart attack because of an undiagnosed condition.

A police source on the island of Majorca where Gately, 33, died, said: �The autopsy revealed Stephen had taken cannabis, and his husband and another man present on the night he died have confirmed this in interviews.

�They have said Stephen did not take any other drugs, but the toxicology tests are being carried out to confirm this.'

The police source added: �Although we know Stephen smoked cannabis on the night he died, that was not the cause of his death.�

But last night a spokesman for the charity Cardiac Risk in the Young said that anything which could affect the rhythm of the heart could have caused cardiac arrest.

He said: �If you have an undiagnosed heart condition and you do anything that either speeds up or slows down the heart then you could trigger cardiac arrest - whether that be drugs, alcohol or exercise.�

Yesterday Gately�s devastated mother Margaret revealed there was a family history of heart problems.

The family�s lawyer, Gerald Kean, said: �There is a heart condition on his dad Martin's side of the family. Stephen would have had no idea he had this condition.

�As soon as I heard he had died I knew it was a heart problem. It has lifted a huge burden off our family's shoulders,� he added.

After seeing several family members die of heart problems, Gately's relatives will now undergo checks to see if they have any similar health issues.

Gately was found dead on the sofa at his �1million apartment in the upmarket resort of Port Andratx on Saturday.

Mystery surrounds his final hours after it emerged his civil partner slept in the bedroom with Bulgarian Georgi Dochev � who the couple had met earlier in a gay nightclub in Palma, the island�s capital.

Yesterday Mr Dochev, 25, was in negotiations to sell his story to a Spanish TV channel for upwards of 70,000 euros.

Meanwhile, the remaining four members of Boyzone were preparing to return to Majorca so they could accompany the body home to Ireland.

'He is now lying in a chapel of rest in a small village in the hills of Majorca whilst repatriation formalities continue,' the remaining four members of the boy band said on their website yesterday.

'Ronan, Keith, Mikey & Shane visited Stephen's parents in Dublin on Tuesday to pay their respects and confirm the family's final wishes for Stephen. The Boyz plan to return to Majorca on Friday to bring their brother back home to Dublin.'

It is expected they will be pall bearers at the funeral which will take place in Dublin on Saturday.

There are also plans for a memorial service in London, where Gately lived with his partner.

by Anonymousreply 205October 15, 2009 3:21 AM

Especially because Andrew cheated on his husband the last night that Stephen was alive, I really wish Andrew had died instead. He's worthless.

by Anonymousreply 206October 15, 2009 3:29 AM

I was really interested in Stephen's passing, particularly because I was online the night the story broke late in the evening.

I taped Entertainment Tonight jboth Monday and Tuesday hoping the story would be featured since the only news was online. THEY HAD NOTHING BOTH NIGHTS. ET has gone so far in the toilet that they can't report the death of a European pop star who had 6 #1 singles and was only 33. He was also one of the first openly gay boyband singers. Yet, they had the 4 millionth story on Jon and Kate and Donny and Marie on Dancing with the Stars. Both nights. Donny and Marie are so far up ET's ass I could vomit. Mind you, ET feeds off of them as well. MARIE TURNS 50!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 207October 15, 2009 3:31 AM

I just woke up with the sensation that I was going to barf. It was definitely coming up, not to be too disgusting, and the sensation woke me and I'm sober. Now I'm terrified I have pulmonary edema, so good morning at 4:30 AM.

by Anonymousreply 208October 15, 2009 9:36 AM

R206, is it really cheating if they both took the Bulgarian home together? How do we know that Stephen wasn't the one who'd been having sex with the Bulgarian (if either of them actually had)?

by Anonymousreply 209October 15, 2009 9:50 AM

I'm an emetophobe and this is my nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 210October 15, 2009 9:51 AM

We'll soon find out, R209, once the Bulgarian whore sells his story.

by Anonymousreply 211October 15, 2009 10:09 AM

Up for the morning crowd.

by Anonymousreply 212October 15, 2009 4:08 PM

Even if Stephen was ok with bringing the Bulgarian back; Andrew will never get over the fact that he was fucking him whilst Stephen laid there choking to death.

by Anonymousreply 213October 15, 2009 4:30 PM

If he had died because of drinking wouldn't it be 'death through misadventure' rather than 'natural causes'. Though my law school education is a dim and distant past, I'm sure drink or drug related deaths were not deemed 'natural'.

His family have said it was an undiagnosed heart defective, and has blighted the family before.

Louis will not be on the X Factor again.

by Anonymousreply 214October 15, 2009 4:39 PM

What did he die of? has it been determined yet?

by Anonymousreply 215October 15, 2009 8:38 PM

The trick is going to the funeral. What is the etiquette here?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216October 15, 2009 9:45 PM

It's a very unfortunate cause of death and circumstances. Like when Travolta's son died either while his dad had sex with his son's manny or while holding his son in his oh-so-manly arms right there in the toilet/bathroom of all places.

by Anonymousreply 217October 15, 2009 9:51 PM

r216, I doubt he'll get in, unless invited.

He's also selling his story and toying about being Stephen's 'lover or not'. Fucking bastard.

by Anonymousreply 218October 15, 2009 11:00 PM

Well r216-when you're about to move into the corpse's former apartment, wear red and bring more GBH?

by Anonymousreply 219October 15, 2009 11:19 PM

I predict Cowles will be straight in the next 10 years or sooner. You know those Brits. They become ex-gays without the religious conversions.

by Anonymousreply 220October 15, 2009 11:32 PM

>>> Be it drugs or not, but isn't this the nicest way to pass away? You go aslep and you just don't wake up.

I don't know about you, but I don't go to sleep in a kneeling position.

by Anonymousreply 221October 15, 2009 11:51 PM

I suspect the kneeling position is a result of him waking up while choking and trying to get himself upright. Pity the husband had his hands full at the time to help him out.

by Anonymousreply 222October 15, 2009 11:56 PM

They killed the poor bastard.

by Anonymousreply 223October 16, 2009 1:00 AM

The DM is saying the twink is invited. Hmm, don't think so. Boyzone members flew back to Majorca to bring the body back to Ireland and the twink's statement has been released.

Boyzone show new tattoo tributes to Stephen Gately as police reveal his final few hours

* Boyzone to bring back body today and stage overnight vigil in church before funeral service * Band expected to sing at the ceremony * Bulgarian's statement to authorities revealed trio were 'intimate' and Gately had smoked cannabis joint

Ronan Keating and his Boyzone bandmates have had tattoos to mark the death of Stephen Gately.

Keating's tribute to his former bandmate was just visible as he appeared at Majorca's Palma Airport today, before accompanying the coffin home to Dublin.

As the visibly upset singer spoke, the numbers '76 09' could be seen beneath his T-shirt sleeve. They correspond to the years of Gately's birth and death.

Each of the band members - Shane Lynch, Keith Duffy and Mikey Graham - is understood to have had a memorial tattoo to their former colleague.

Lynch, who is already known for his heavily-tattooed physique, had the etching done on his left hand.

A source said: 'The tattoos were done as a mark of respect for Stephen.'

The men visited Majorca today to help bring their bandmate's body home and will keep a vigil overnight in the Dublin church where the service will be held.

Keating, 32, Shane, 33, Graham, 37, and Duffy, 35, are also expected to sing at the service and carry the casket alongside Gately's relatives.

Keating said today: 'Last Saturday our world changed forever when we lost our friend and brother Stephen.

On the verge of tears, he continued: 'Stephen lived to perform and truly loved being centre stage.

'You can be sure he's looking down on us now wishing we'd move over so he could flash his smile for the cameras one more time.'

He thanked fans for their support, adding: 'What the future holds for the four of us is too hard to think about. We know that nothing will ever be the same without our dear friend Stephen. Farewell brother.'

Keating also revealed a new tattoo on his right arm with the dates '76 - 09', thought to mark Gately's year of birth and death. Lynch had the same inscription on his hand.

The funeral will be a very musical affair as the family believe 'it's what he would have wanted'.

Much of Dublin is expected to join in the emotional farewell for a favourite son.

As preparations continued, the exact details of what happened on the night of his death emerged for the first time.

A Majorcan police statement taken from Bulgarian Giorgio Dochev, 25, who was in their holiday apartment that evening, reveals that Gately had smoked a cannabis joint and that the trio had been 'intimate'.

Gately, 33, was found dead in the living room of the �1m flat where he and internet tycoon husband Andrew Cowles, 32, were staying.

He died of natural causes after a fatal build-up of fluid in the lungs, thought to have been brought on by a heart attack.

Police said there were no suspicious circumstances regarding his death.

Gately and Cowles had met Dochev at a gay club called The Black Cat, in Port Andratx, in the south-west of the Mediterranean island, and taken him back to the apartment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224October 16, 2009 2:21 PM

The police statement after Dochev's interview last Saturday reads: 'Last night at around 1.30am, the witness found himself in a bar Euphoria in Palma.

'He stared a friendship with a couple of lads whose names he does not know. That after a while, in this bar, they left together to another bar called Black Cat, staying there until approx 4am - and they invited him to accompany them home to carry on having a few drinks.

'Afterwads at around 4.10am, the three of them took a taxi and went to the address of the couple he had met in Port Andratx. Once at the residence, they were talking and became intimate, until 5.30am.'

Giorgio at this point went to a bedroom, leaving Stephen and Andrew on the sofa. The statement added the couple were both sleeping.

Five hours later, at around 10.30am Giorgio heard a long, loud doorbell but stayed in bed.

Around half-an-hour later he got up and saw the couple still on the sofa. One had his feet stretched out and the other was curled up.

Giorgio went back to bed, then heard Andrew get up and go into the main bedroom.

The Bulgarian wandered back into the lounge to have a cigarette and saw Stephen was still sleeping on the sofa.

'He then went into the bedroom where the other boy was until 1pm,' the statement read.

At that point, Dochev described getting up, having a shower and getting dressed being sitting on the sofa.

The police statement continues: 'He sits next to the boy on the sofa and looking at him gets the feeling there's something wrong as he was very motionless and he could see no breathing movements or little snores.

'He then took him by the hand and tried to wake him up without success.

'He headed quickly into the partner's bedroom and woke him up, saying there was something wrong.

'Both of them headed to the lounge and tried to sit him up, seeing that he was very stiff and in a foetal position with his face on the cushion.

'On sitting him up they saw his lips and face were blue and that liquid was coming out of his mouth.

'As they thought he might have swallowed his tongue, his partner put a finger in his mouth. At this moment, they realised he was dead so they called the emergency services at between 1.15 and 1.30pm.'

Giorgio, who also said he had seen Gately smoke a cannabis joint in the flat, claimed last night he had been invited to the funeral at St Laurence O'Toole Church in Dublin.

Louis Walsh, who is missing X Factor this weekend, Sir Elton John and members of Take That are expected to join Gately's parents Margaret and Martin among the mourners.

They have been inundated with messages and condolence cards.

The couple said last night: 'It's been a great deal of comfort through this terrible time. All of your kind throughts and prayers have helped us to get through this horrendous ordeal.'

Last night Dochev, who is in the third year of a psychology degree, told a Bulgarian radio station he was traumatised by the death - and that he knew his attendance in Dublin might prove controversial.

'I don�t know what the people will tell about me going to the burial, because I know there will be some talking � if I�ve been his lover or not.'

'I feel bad, I don�t feel good at all.

'You don�t find a dead man in the house every day . . . Do you understand what I mean?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225October 16, 2009 2:25 PM

Fantastic reaction from Charlie Brooker regarding the odious and homophobic Daily Mail article by Jan Moir.

Why there was nothing 'human' about Jan Moir's column on the death of Stephen Gately

Jan Moir's rant about the Boyzone star Stephen Gately is a gratuitous piece of gay-bashing

The funeral of Stephen Gately has not yet taken place. The man hasn't been buried yet. Nevertheless, Jan Moir of the Daily Mail has already managed to dance on his grave. For money.

It has been 20 minutes since I've read her now-notorious column, and I'm still struggling to absorb the sheer scope of its hateful idiocy. It's like gazing through a horrid little window into an awesome universe of pure blockheaded spite. Spiralling galaxies of ignorance roll majestically against a backdrop of what looks like dark prejudice, dotted hither and thither with winking stars of snide innuendo.

On the Mail website, it was headlined: "Why there was nothing 'natural' about Stephen Gately's death." Since the official postmortem clearly ascribed the singer's death to natural causes, that headline contains a fairly bold claim. Still, who am I to judge? I'm no expert when it comes to interpreting autopsy findings, unlike Moir. Presumably she's a leading expert in forensic science, paid huge sums of money to fly around the world lecturing coroners on her latest findings. Or maybe she just wants to gay-bash a dead man? Tragically, the only way to find out is to read the rest of her article.

She begins by jabbering a bit about untimely celebrity deaths, especially those whose lives are "shadowed by dark appetites or fractured by private vice". Not just Heath Ledger and Michael Jackson. No: she's eagerly looking forward to other premature snuffings.

"Robbie, Amy, Kate, Whitney, Britney; we all know who they are. And we are not being ghoulish to anticipate, or to be mentally braced for, their bad end: a long night, a mysterious stranger, an odd set of circumstances that herald a sudden death."

Fair enough. I'm sure we all agree there's nothing "ghoulish" whatsoever about eagerly imagining the hypothetical death of someone you've marked out as a potential cadaver on account of your ill-informed presumptions about their lifestyle. All she's doing is running a detailed celebrity-death sweepstake in her head. That's not ghoulish, that's fun. For my part, I've just put a tenner on Moir choking to death on her own bile by the year 2012. See? Fun!

Having casually prophesied the death of Robbie Williams and co, Moir moves on to her main point: that Gately's death strikes her as a bit fishy . . . "All the official reports point to a natural death, with no suspicious circumstances . . . But, hang on a minute. Something is terribly wrong with the way this incident has been shaped and spun into nothing more than an unfortunate mishap on a holiday weekend, like a broken teacup in the rented cottage."

That's odd. I don't recall anyone equating the death with "an unfortunate mishap on a holiday weekend". I was only aware of shocked expressions of grief from those who knew or admired him, people who'd probably be moved to tears by Moir likening the tragedy to "a broken teacup in the rented cottage". But never mind that � "shaped and spun" by whom, precisely? The coroner?

Incredibly, yes. Moir genuinely believes the coroner got it wrong: "Healthy and fit 33-year-old men do not just climb into their pyjamas and go to sleep on the sofa, never to wake up again. Whatever the cause of death is, it is not, by any yardstick, a natural one."

At this point, I dare to challenge the renowned international forensic pathologist Jan Moir, because I personally know of two other men (one in his 20s, one in his early 30s), who died in precisely this way. According to the charity Cardiac Risk in the Young (c-r-y.org.uk), "Twelve apparently fit and healthy young people die in the UK from undiagnosed heart conditions" every single week. That's a lot of broken teacups, eh Jan?

Still, if his death wasn't natural "by any yardstick", what did kill him? Moir knows: it was his lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 226October 17, 2009 1:50 AM

Because Gately was, y'know . . . homosexual. Having lanced this boil, Moir lets the pus drip out all over her fingers as she continues to type: "The circumstances surrounding his death are more than a little sleazy," she declares. "Cowles and Gately took a young Bulgarian man back to their apartment. It is not disrespectful to assume that a game of canasta . . . was not what was on the cards . . . What happened afterwards is anyone's guess."

Don't hold back, Jan. Have a guess. Draw us a picture. You specialise in celebrity death fantasies, after all.

"His mother is still insisting that her son died from a previously undetected heart condition that has plagued the family." Yes. That poor, blinkered woman, "insisting" in the face of official medical evidence that absolutely agrees with her.

Anyway, having cast aspersions over a tragic death, doubted a coroner and insulted a grieving mother, Moir's piece builds to its climax: "Another real sadness about Gately's death is that it strikes another blow to the happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships. . . Gay activists are always calling for tolerance and understanding about same-sex relationships, arguing that they are just the same as heterosexual marriages . . . in many cases this may be true. Yet the recent death of Kevin McGee, the former husband of Little Britain star Matt Lucas, and now the dubious events of Gately's last night raise troubling questions about what happened."

Way to spread the pain around, Jan. Way to link two unrelated tragedies, Jan. Way to gay-bash, Jan.

Jan's paper, the Daily Mail, absolutely adores it when people flock to Ofcom to complain about something offensive, especially when it's something they've only learned about second-hand via an inflammatory article in a newspaper. So it would undoubtedly be delighted if, having read this, you paid a visit to the Press Complaints Commission website (www.pcc.org.uk) to lodge a complaint about Moir's article on the basis that it breaches sections 1, 5 and 12 of its code of practice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227October 17, 2009 1:50 AM

That cunt is going to regret writing that piece of hate. When Marks & Sparks finds you offensive, you know you've crossed the line. Loved Stephen Fry's dismissal of this 'repulsive nobody'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228October 17, 2009 2:31 AM

Ha! Fabulously bitchy response by Brooker. Thanks for posting it.

by Anonymousreply 229October 17, 2009 4:34 AM

Members of Boyzone have paid a moving tribute to bandmate Stephen Gately at his funeral in Dublin.

"The world has lost one of its brightest stars, we have lost our brother," Ronan Keating told guests at St Laurence O'Toole's church.

Keating frequently broke down as he delivered his eulogy, at one point apologising to the congregation.

Boyzone sang Westlife track In This Life during the service before carrying the coffin out of the church.

Gately was found dead at his Majorca holiday home last week. Post-mortem tests found he died of natural causes.

It was estimated that more than 3000 people gathered outside the church to pay their respects.

AT THE SCENE Fiona Pryor, BBC entertainment reporter

It was amazing how many fans had travelled from far and wide to stand outside the church.

Many people had been shocked by his sudden death and some were keen to stress they were there to support the remaining members of Boyzone as well as Stephen's family.

I think fans were pleased to hear from the band members themselves and were particularly touched when Ronan broke down, so much so they all applauded him.

Afterwards, some fans were so distraught they could not speak.

Keating spoke of how close the band members all were.

"We will carry on but it will never be the same without him. Forever young and never forgotten. A man, a friend, a brother, a son a husband and a hero. I'm gonna really miss you brother. We love you and always will. And we know you have found peace. Perfect peace."

Mikey Graham spoke of Gately's devotion to his partner Andrew Cowles and of how much he loved his parents Margaret and Martin.

"With an audience, Stephen came alive - he truly became himself," Graham said.

"The band feels black and white without him. We were very lucky to be invited in to see a glimpse of the warm, honest and gentle loving man that he was."

Keith Duffy described Gately as "a giant of a man in our hearts. So many owe him so much for what he did. We were always there for each other through thick and thin."

The crowds threw white roses on Gately's coffin as it left for a private cremation at Glasnevin Cemetery ahead of a funeral party for 450 guests at a hotel in the city.

Boyzone's manager Louis Walsh spoke to journalists before the funeral service.

"He (Stephen) would not believe the reception he's got today. He was living his dream," Walsh said.

"It's a fantastic feeling here today - we have to celebrate his life, he would absolutely love what was happening here today.

"He was always professional, he was so likeable. I wouldn't be where I was today if it wasn't for Boyzone. We're all in this together."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230October 17, 2009 3:33 PM

The X Factor judge will miss the ITV1 show this weekend because of the funeral.

Former Irish taoiseach Bertie Ahern, members of Boyzone and Westlife, Jason Donovan and Shayne Ward were among the mourners, joining many of Gately's close family and friends.

Fans from as far afield as Taiwan were among the crowds, with many of them laying flowers outside the church.

The remaining members of Boyzone stayed with Gately's body in the church the night before the funeral - singer Keating came out to thank fans for their support in the early hours of the morning before going back inside.

"They brought a bottle of wine in, they cried, they laughed, they cried, they are a very close bunch of mates," said Boyzone backing musician James McNally.

Messages of condolences were received from George Michael, David and Victoria Beckham, Simon Cowell, Take That, Westlife, U2, Robbie Williams, Cheryl Cole, Colin Farrell, Sharon Osborne, Brian McFadden and Delta Goodrem.

David Furnish arrived at the church and explained his partner Elton John was in Zurich on tour and could not break his contractual commitments but "was very much there there in spirit".

Loudspeakers relayed the ceremony to well-wishers outside.

Instead of flowers, mourners were asked to make donations to the Caudwell Children Charity, for which Gately was an ambassador.

His grief-stricken bandmates escorted the late singer's body back to his hometown on Friday.

Gately grew up in Dublin but had spent the last few years living in Highgate, London.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231October 17, 2009 3:41 PM

Ronan Keating pays tribute to Stephen Gately

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232October 17, 2009 4:47 PM

Wow,r232, I literally am crying as I type this. That was incredibly moving.

by Anonymousreply 233October 17, 2009 5:12 PM

As someone from an Irish background, if there's one thing the Irish know how to do, it's a funeral. How moving that the other Boyzone members spent the night in the church with the body, with sleeping bags and a bottle of wine, reminiscing and keeping their comrade company.

by Anonymousreply 234October 18, 2009 4:43 AM

I was the eejit that some posts back called Stephen's partner a 'slut'. I now really regret that and want to say sorry.

Not that he'll ever read it but I went (unusually for me) with the stupid newspaper reports instead of waiting to find out what really happened. I was annoyed at the thought he had relegated Stephen to the couch when he was in another room. That was the only thing that got my goat and I feel bad about that.

But I also do think as I did before that Stephen's death was totally natural, whatevre alleged sex or dope-smoking may have taken place. It was a thing millions of people do every day/night and none of it kills them.

by Anonymousreply 235October 18, 2009 8:20 AM

What annoys me most about homophobe's like Jan Moir is they can write WHATEVER they want that implies accusation and incites misunderstanding and hate, smothered in innuendo and wordplay, assuming the faithful will know what they're talking about, which inevitably they do (and yet a book about 2 penguin fathers gets banned as fuelling 'agendas'). Then when they get called on it they throw up their hands and yell victim, and how dare anyone read homophobia and mischief into it!

This is a typical rethuglican tactic. I mean she's sadly entitled to her view but she should also expect some serious citicism in return.

I hate the fucking Daily Heil anyway. If it's not insulting gays its ridiculing overweight or 'uncurvy' women or being ageist. Hateful rag.

by Anonymousreply 236October 18, 2009 8:31 AM

If anything positive can come out of this tragedy it's that the culture of 'The Daily Mail' has been widely exposed in all its genteel viciousness.

This hate-crime erupted on the day of the funeral, and will never be forgotten. 'The Daily Mail' and its malicious hacks can't defend the indefensible.

Of course it can abuse its freedom of speech all it likes - but needs to get used to commercial and social contempt. New Media mean that crass smug hacks, and their paymasters, are instantly called to account. This is progress.

RIP Stephen.

by Anonymousreply 237October 18, 2009 10:08 AM

Charlie, do you still think Gately's death was caused by substance abuse?

by Anonymousreply 238October 18, 2009 10:27 AM

Andy might not be a whore but evidently he is persona non grata with a lot of Stephen's friends and family based on the fight they got into a few years ago. An unfortunate photo of that night is in the article at link.

THIS is the dramatic moment Louis Walsh flinched as he was hugged by Stephen Gately's husband yesterday - revealing the secret tensions behind the star's funeral.

The Boyzone mentor and X Factor judge pulls back, clenches his fists in frustration and makes no effort to share the embrace with an emotional Andy Cowles.

Stephen's family also gave Cowles the cold shoulder, avoiding him at the service.

He was not embraced by Stephen's parents Martin and Margaret, who shared warm hugs with the Boyzone singers.

And it was telling the Boyzone stars and family members wore splashes of Stephen's favourite colour red in a tribute but Cowles did not. Stephen's brothers and sister also kept their distance from Cowles. A source revealed that, tragically, Stephen had spent recent years in a feud with his family over Cowles - who they did not think was right for their beloved son.

Louis, who described Stephen as his very best friend, never forgave internet entrepreneur Cowles for his attack on the Boyzone star outside London's famous Ivy restaurant six years ago.

Gately himself dismissed it as a tiff. But the pictures tell a different story, with a menacing-looking Cowles gripping his new partner in a headlock.

Louis pointedly did not attend either their 2003 commitment ceremony in Las Vegas or their London civil partnership ceremony in 2006 because of his opinion of Cowles. A source revealed: "Louis had his concerns about Andy, especially after their big bust-up outside The Ivy. He missed their civil union, which surprised a lot of people.

"Louis is very fair-minded but he always wanted what was best for Stephen. He was protective of him."

The tension between Cowles and Stephen's family was also blamed on the pavement bust-up.

The pair had been dining with pals and started bickering. When they decided to take it outside, Stephen got caught in a headlock by Cowles. Stephen later played down the incident afterwards and Cowles said: "We've never hit each other before. It was just a tipsy bitch-slap situation."

But photographer Greg Brennan, who stepped in to break up the fight, has a different recollection.

He told the News of the World: "This was no lovers' tiff. It was far more serious. Andrew gave Stephen a pounding.

"Andrew was punching and kicking him. I had to do something. He was kicking him in the head. I managed to drag Andrew off and Stephen ran back to the restaurant to clean himself up.

"There was some blood and he was crying his eyes out.

"A policeman saw what had happened and Stephen just passed it off as a tiff but it was pure domestic violence in my eyes. I have seen a lot of celebrities getting into fights in my time but this was one of the worst. Poor Stephen took a load of shots to the head with both fists and feet. It was bang out of order."

Last night a pal of the singer revealed the extent of the family feud.

"It's unbelievably tragic. Stephen had no contact with Margaret or Martin up until a year ago.

"He wasn't friendly with them at all because of his marriage to Andy, who they just couldn't accept. They didn't go to either of their civil unions in Las Vegas or London.

"They were worried about Stephen and his marriage and his future. The closeness they once had was fundamentally damaged.

"They tried to patch things up over the last year but things were never the same. Andy is a constant reminder of that for them."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239October 18, 2009 12:06 PM

They never stop - it's the boyfriend to blame, because a gay man has problems with his family. as the NoW quotes an unnamed 'pal' - yeah, I bet.

by Anonymousreply 240October 18, 2009 1:46 PM

This whole situation is incredibly sad. Stephen will be missed--he had a wonderful voice and should have been a bigger solo star.

by Anonymousreply 241October 18, 2009 1:50 PM

The boyfriend in this case sounds like a real asshole.

by Anonymousreply 242October 18, 2009 1:50 PM

Andrew is in this photo leaning his head on Stephen's brother's shoulder. Even the priest mentioned him, and his sister did one of the readings. This is from Mikey Graham's eulogy:

The break up of the band in 2000 was hard on all of us. Stephen found musical theatre to be his calling and enjoyed lead roles in some of the great West End shows.

But his true passion and love was the band and he longed for its return.

He found this time difficult but along the way found true love with Andrew and together they navigated through the good and the bad times.

It was Andrew that helped Steo become to blossom into the man he always believed he could be.

Together they enjoyed life in London making so many great friends and being part of the vibrant London West End scene.

Stephen's love for Andrew was true and only last week he told me how lucky he felt to have him by his side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243October 18, 2009 3:20 PM

Jan Moir's nasty article has led to a formal report to the police (haha!).

Nasty bitch.

by Anonymousreply 244October 18, 2009 4:18 PM

Isn't it funny how the Daily Mail is Simon Cowell's rag of choice when trying to publicize his fake het exploits? Is Cowell a Tory?

by Anonymousreply 245October 18, 2009 4:21 PM

[quote]Andy might not be a whore but evidently he is persona non grata with a lot of Stephen's friends and family based on the fight they got into a few years ago. An unfortunate photo of that night is in the article at link.

Apparently, Stephen's mum thinks very highly of Andy.

[quote]Grieving Margaret has vowed to "be there" for her son's devastated widower and says she will treat Andy like a son.

[quote]She explained: "I'm going to love Andy and be there for him. He's one of the family - Stephen loved him with all his heart and he made my son happy. I asked Stephen when they got together if it was love and he said it was more than anything he'd ever found. He was besotted."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246October 18, 2009 5:14 PM

Re: Cowell. In a way it's funny, but in another way it's apt. 'The Daily Mail' wants above all else to return to the 1950s, so would prefer homosexuality to be recriminalised. A grudging next best is the closet. Being openly gay is a choice to be constantly undermined. The paper is proud to be aggressively regressive.

As world-class hypocrites the 'Mail' will be glad to do business with someone as rich, famous and influential as Cowell.

by Anonymousreply 247October 18, 2009 5:15 PM

The Bulgarian said he witnessed Stephen smoking a joint that night, but the soon to be released toxicology report will dispute that:

A toxicology report into the death of Stephen Gately is set to show he had anti-depressants and a minuscule amount of cannabis in his system when he died.

The investigation � which took place in the UK � was carried out to see if Stephen had taken any substances which might have triggered the rapid build-up of fluid in his lungs which killed him.

Doctors looked for any trace of class A drugs heroin, cocaine and ecstasy � but none were found. Small traces of cannabis were discovered but they were so tiny that the report will say it could have been smoked days before the singer�s holiday in Majorca.

That finding is in direct contrast to speculation last week that Spanish forensic experts had discovered evidence he had been smoking cannabis on the night he died, leading to fears it caused a fatal heart attack.

Scientists carrying out the tests also found a trace of the anti-depressant Escitalopram � also known as Cipralex � in the singer�s body.

Three years ago Stephen admitted he had turned to prescription drugs to cope with the trauma of the Boyzone split.

And Cipralex is normally prescribed to sufferers for life to help them with the condition. Stephen first told of his battle with depression in an exclusive interview with the Sunday Mirror.

He said he only got out of his turmoil with the help of pal Elton John, adding: �We sat down and talked. After that life just changed. He rescued me.�

The results of the toxicology report � which will be officially announced next week � will end speculation that Stephen had been taking class A drugs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248October 18, 2009 5:22 PM

I still wonder if Cowell is a Tory. I'll bet he was a Thatcherite in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 249October 18, 2009 5:23 PM

The Daily Mail isn't Cowell's publication of choice.

The Sun and News Of The World, which is in the pocket of Max Clifford, are the ones that "break" the stories about the acts and are given the exclusives.

by Anonymousreply 250October 19, 2009 7:08 PM

Did I read correctly that the Daily M ail column received over 21000 complaints?

by Anonymousreply 251October 19, 2009 7:12 PM

Yes, there's been an orchestrated campaign by gays and their friends, just like the Daily Mail has orchestrated campaigns of outrage against the BBC.

Janet Street Porter's response today was quite marvellous, and very much a case of damage limitation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252October 19, 2009 7:22 PM

Stephen Gately singing Beyonce's Single Ladies (slightly off topic, but it made me smile)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253October 20, 2009 10:38 AM

I have been away for 2 weeks on holiday with no internet, so only catching up now, but this is a massive shock. Stephen was just so nice - particularly in that video for "No Matter What" - he was doing well in his solo career, being in Joseph and Chitty Bang Bang.

The Jan Moir article in the Daily Mail suggested he died because of his gay lifestyle was vile and glad to see it has been roundly trounced.

This though will hit Ronan very hard as he and Stephen really did all the singing in the group - the other 3 are just backing singers ... (rather like Gary being the singer in Take That). I don't imagine the group can go on without him, leaving Ronan to do all the singing. I dare say he and manager Louis Walsh will have been in discussions about all that, nice though to see their tattoos they did.

Sad though to think he died on the sofa while his partner was in the bedroom with the guy from the club .... seems like a case of neglect to me. Presumably the partner will now be entitled to his royalties etc ?

by Anonymousreply 254October 25, 2009 4:17 PM

The first reports were he died from an all night drink binge or choked on his vomit after a 12- hour drinking session!

and reports that he was found in his pyjamas - who wears pyjamas on holiday in Majorca ? especially after a night out clubbing and drinking while your partner is with someone else in the bedroom ?

Bet the partner's name is mud now ....

I saw the photo of the other Boyzone boys carrying the coffin - the partne Andrew seemed to have no involvement in his funeral arrangements as the family would have made a big funeral in Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 255October 25, 2009 4:21 PM

Thanks for that re the 'fight' with the partner Andrew, which I remember reading about at the time. Paints a picture of maybe a troubled or abusive relationship if they were fighting in the street .... and could explain the presence of the third person at the apartment.

by Anonymousreply 256October 25, 2009 4:29 PM

Have R254-6 even read the thread? Practically everything they say has been disproved or at least denied.

by Anonymousreply 257October 25, 2009 5:35 PM

Recent stories paint the relationship between the Gatelys and Andy as very positive. He flew to Ireland on Friday to collect Stephen's ashes and spent the day with the family. Stephen was the most sensible Boyzone member financially and left a 10 million pound estate - Andrew doesn't want any of it so it will go to the Gatelys and to Stephen's favorite charites.

Also, Andrew's statement regarding the night Stephen died was that he was very drunk, having drunk about 2 bottles of wine and smoked pot. He says that the twink asked if he could stay over, whereas the twink says he was invited; also, Andrew's statement makes no mention of sex at all. Andrew will be selling the Majorca apartment.

by Anonymousreply 258October 25, 2009 5:42 PM

Thanks for that r258 - I would have thought though the family would want the ashes or that he would have been buried there so they could visit the grave regularly, as is the Irish tradition (I am irish myself).

Good too if the estate goes to the family - seems Andrew is independently wealthy then.

by Anonymousreply 259October 25, 2009 5:57 PM

New Boyzone video--the other members were obviously close to Stephen:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260February 26, 2010 8:33 PM

It's a beautiful song and vid. A lovely tribute to their friend.

by Anonymousreply 261February 26, 2010 9:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!