Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I got a juror Subpeona

In NY. It was a failure to respond to the questionnaire. Send by Normal Goodman, regular mail, not registered.

They had the wrong address, and it has been well beyond the 10 days they are telling me I have to 'present myself'. It took over a month to be forwarded to me.

Something like this, does it not have to be sent registered mail to be valid. I am being threatened with a huge fine or imprisonment, but they have no proof of service and it never got to me til now.

Can I just ignore it?

There is no number to call with questions.

by Anonymousreply 31July 17, 2009 11:54 PM

It would seem they have no proof of anything but in this country is it needed?

by Anonymousreply 1July 1, 2009 7:09 PM

Don't know about NY but in CA, the juror pool is taken from the drivers license records. If you have a drivers license you are eligible to be called for jury duty. The law says that you MUST update your drivers license whenever you change your address. Therefore, a wrong address is usually not a valid reason for not getting jury notice.

Where does NY get the jury addresses from and is it your fault they had the wrong address?

by Anonymousreply 2July 1, 2009 7:14 PM

Years ago in DC, I got a juror subpoena, and got the date wrong, and realize a day late that I missed my date. As I was a law student at the time, I was mortified and fearful. I called the courthouse and they asked me when I could come in to do jury service, and we set a new date. I came in, wasn't called to jury duty and completed my service without any ramifications.

I would wager that the courts are more interested in you showing and doing your time rather than getting into fights over whether they (or you) screwed up. And, since people move all the time, they know that people never receive their summons or receive it late. If they are at all reasonable, they will work with you. If they are unreasonable, then call the Daily News or the NY Post.

by Anonymousreply 3July 1, 2009 7:16 PM

Using the three lists, jury commissioners send preliminary questionnaires to establish minimum qualifications for service, from which the jury rolls are compiled. But in Manhattan and the Bronx, where the State Office of Court Administration says returns are among the lowest in the state, 50 to 60 percent are never completed, usually because they were sent to a wrong address or were tossed by the recipient into the next morning's garbage.

by Anonymousreply 4July 1, 2009 7:18 PM

I don't have a driver's license and they say they get folks from tax rolls but the state has my address correct on the taxes.

This is not a failure to respond to duty, it is a failure to respond the the juror questionnare, sent to the wrong address.

They want me to present my self with the questions answered, not for actual jury duty.

by Anonymousreply 5July 1, 2009 7:20 PM

Definitely do not ignore it. Phone them up and sort it out. They aren't interested in fining you or otherwise punishing you; they want to threaten you into doing your duty. It costs them money to take you to court and they will not be looking to do that unless they have to.

Just give a short, polite explanation that there were address problems and that it's only just got to you and that you'd like to sort out a date to serve. That should be all you need to do. Don't start off belligerent about the rights and wrongs of the mailing service - if it is their problem, they will be dealing with people in your position regularly and it will be boringly normal to them.

If you try to ignore it to avoid serving (without a valid reason) then you will end up with problems.

by Anonymousreply 6July 1, 2009 7:26 PM

R6

I am NOT being asked to serve, just to present myself and answer questions as whether I can serve.

There is no phone number or I would phone them up.

by Anonymousreply 7July 1, 2009 7:32 PM

OP, you in danger, girl!

by Anonymousreply 8July 1, 2009 7:36 PM

Jesus. They just want you to come in and personally give them the jury questionnaire. Just do it. They must send 60k of those out a month.

by Anonymousreply 9July 1, 2009 7:53 PM

If I give them the questionnaire they will then call me for duty and quite frankly I never want to do it.

I hate cops and would want to let everyone off.

by Anonymousreply 10July 1, 2009 7:57 PM

[quote]I hate cops and would want to let everyone off.

If you're actually empaneled for jury selection, make sure you repeat the above when you're queried by the attorneys. You'll be stricken for cause.

by Anonymousreply 11July 1, 2009 8:03 PM

Do not ignore it; its considered contempt of court. Many courts are actually pursing contempt orders as so many try to dodge jury duty.

What court is it in New York? I can provide you the number of jury services if you need it.

Just explain to them what you received, that it was sent to the wrong address and the date you actually received it and tell them you want to comply.

by Anonymousreply 12July 1, 2009 8:11 PM

Thanks R12

It was sent by Norman Goodman, Country Clerk of the Supreme court.

It says New York County and New York State Court system.

60 Centre Street is the address.

by Anonymousreply 13July 1, 2009 8:19 PM

When I went online they say thousands of these are ignored daily.

by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2009 8:31 PM

OP - Never ignore anything from the Supreme Court. They don't screw around.

Clerk's office Division of Jurors - 646-386-5960

As I said, call them and explain what happened. Even if you don't want to comply, act like you do. Most cases settle before jury duty happens (I've been called 2x and both have settled prior to trial). You may actually be interested in serving once you find out the nature of the case - Supreme Court cases tend to be far more interesting than the run of the mill.

Link is a FAQ site on jury duty in NY including the jury questionnaire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 1, 2009 8:31 PM

Kipper thanks for the number.

There is NO case. This is just for the questionnaire.

by Anonymousreply 16July 1, 2009 8:41 PM

It means they are looking at you as part of a pool for several cases.

Definitely don't ignore it. The fines have gone up to $500 for non-compliance.

The Supreme Court tends to have a far lighter caseload than the "lower" or district courts. Means they have more time to actually pursue people who don't comply. Lost or incorrect addresses on summonses/questionnaires happen all the time. If you call and explain, you shouldn't have any problem. I don't know about New York, but in my dealings with the Nevada Supreme Court, the clerks tend to be very nice and very helpful - much more so than the lower court counterparts.

Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions on this.

by Anonymousreply 17July 1, 2009 8:45 PM

Kipper is the best thing on DL and she has the patience of a saint. That's right, I said saint. SAINT!

by Anonymousreply 18July 1, 2009 8:52 PM

Jesus, OP, stop being such a drama queen. Go down there, explain you never got the questionnaire, and they'll happily send you on your way.

Some time after that, you'll get a jury duty notice. Which will permit you to postpone automatically by phone. Within six months, you'll get another one. Then you'll probably ignore it, 'cause you sound crazy. Then you'll get another letter just like the one you got telling you to show up or else. Then you'll show up. Then they'll figure out quickly that you're nuts, and either let you go home right away, or just make you sit there for two days but not pick you for a trial. You can handle that, right?

by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2009 8:54 PM

I called and said it had finally reached me and they had the wrong address. They asked for the corrected address and I gave them one in another state where I have a place.

I have NO desire to do any jury duty. I fucking think the law is so corrupt that it is useless.

OP

by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2009 4:02 AM

I'm disappointed in you, OP

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2009 4:08 AM

I've received three questionaires and two notices to appear as a juror. Both times I got my doctor to write a note that I was suffering from depression (which is true and I'm on medication for same) and would not be a healthy candidate to serve on a jury.

Faxed the Dr.'s note and the notice back to the court house and have never heard anything back from them.

by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2009 4:15 AM

Go commit a felony.

Trust. They shan't ever bother your ass again.

by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2009 4:21 AM

OP, the same thing happened to last year. I live in the Bronx. I failed to respond to the original questionnaire, so they sent me a notice threatening me with imprisonment unless I hand-delivered the thing to the courthouse on the Grand Concourse.

In February, I got a notice to serve. I postponed that online, and my new date is scheduled for July 31, although I still haven't received any confirmation my mail. I have no intention of going. I scheduled my yearly physical for next Wednesday, timing it so that I could get my doc to write a letter, just like r22 did, saying that I suffer from anxiety and depression, which is true, and I cannot serve.

by Anonymousreply 24July 13, 2009 4:21 AM

"I have NO desire to do any jury duty. I fucking think the law is so corrupt that it is useless."

Any law in particular, OP, or just, you know, all of them?

I can't stand it when people try to disguise their laziness, apathy or lunacy as some sort of hip-cynical quasi-political stance. I'd respect you more if you just said "I'm too completely batshit to sit in a box with 11 other people, listen to evidence, or ever have to make a decision about anything harder than whether to take a shower."

by Anonymousreply 25July 17, 2009 8:51 PM

OP I should have said the application of the law and the application of justice.

When OJ and MJ get off for their crimes, the law is corrupted.

I always think that cops lie and I do NOT want to judge others. I am sure that some religions won't do it.

by Anonymousreply 26July 17, 2009 9:20 PM

[quote] I always think that cops lie and I do NOT want to judge others. I am sure that some religions won't do it.

Jehovah's Witnesses....at least in cases where the death penalty might come into play

by Anonymousreply 27July 17, 2009 9:22 PM

Lsst time I got called it was for the L'il Kim case. We had to complete a 15-page questionnaire. One asked our opininon of HipHop performers. I wrote they were "low class people with no musical training." I was dismissed at the end of the day. Received a check of $40 for "your service."

by Anonymousreply 28July 17, 2009 10:03 PM

I see surprise anal in your future, OP

by Anonymousreply 29July 17, 2009 10:07 PM

[quote]The Supreme Court tends to have a far lighter caseload than the "lower" or district courts. [...] I don't know about New York, but in my dealings with the Nevada Supreme Court, the clerks tend to be very nice and very helpful - much more so than the lower court counterparts.

I love you, Kipper.

Unfortunately, in New York, "Supreme Court" refers to the county-level civil trial courts. Busy, busy dockets. Our highest court is the Court of Appeals in Albany. In the middle is the Appellate Division.

by Anonymousreply 30July 17, 2009 10:09 PM

Don't call. Don't fill anything out. Don't go. Ignore it all. Ok, OP?

by Anonymousreply 31July 17, 2009 11:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!