Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wesley Eure from "Land of the Lost" comes out of the closet

Interesting interview at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 19, 2009 7:46 AM

WHO?

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2009 1:47 PM

LOVE him. He has such a sweetness about him. Good for him for coming out.

There's some good gossip in that article, and hints of much more going unsaid. He should write a book.

by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2009 2:01 PM

The article is very interesting. He came of age at a time when many of the golden age stars were still alive and has some good scoop.

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2009 2:09 PM

He's into the leather scene. He was a regular at North Hollywood's The Bullet.

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2009 2:11 PM

OMG I had such a crush on him!

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2009 2:21 PM

Ew. He dated that fossil Richard Chamberlain.

by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2009 2:25 PM

Anyone who's met him knows he's a gay! It's a really good article and YES he needs to write a book about his experiences... I'm sure that would be a great read. He could call it: Land of the Lost.

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2009 2:38 PM

Re-watching the show on the Marathon that Sci-Fi did last week ... I was so in lust with him the entire time. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2009 2:38 PM

As a little pregay watching Saturday morning TV,I hated the goofy show, was scared of the Sleestack, but was glued to it to see Wesley and could not have told you why.

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2009 2:46 PM

So is he Qwerty1? Is this the answer to all the riddles?

by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2009 2:49 PM

Wesley partied with all the closeted Hollywood gays...and John Travolta, too. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2009 3:02 PM

Who is his BF? The article said he played for the Yankees...

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2009 3:49 PM

I remember having a crush on him. He had the most beautiful blue eyes.

Good to see that he's out and doing well.

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2009 4:00 PM

He seems like a pretty nice guy. Too bad he was fired for being gay on Days Of Our Lives, but it looks like he has made a nice career for himself.

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2009 4:07 PM

I remember a Days of Our Lives storyline that had Wesley's character doubting his heterosexuality ... until older woman Linda Anderson took him to bed and got his motor running. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2009 4:49 PM

How much older than him is Richard Chamberlain? Back in the '70s, Chamberlain was still pretty hot.

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2009 5:22 PM

The press is so arrogant � even Afterelton. I absolutely HATE these headlines.

He did not just come out. He's been out. This is just the first time he did an interview with the press.

This is half of our problem. Yes, when people like Anderson Cooper refuse to answer questions, we can say they're closeting themselves and coming out to the press if they eventually do.

But this is probably the first time in decades this guy has even been considered relevant.

Annoying.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2009 5:31 PM

Quote from the interview to back up R11's post:

[quote]AE: Do you still have the gold chain?

[quote]WE: It was stolen from my house. I used to throw a lot of big parties. Everyone would be there. I had a ranch and stuff and the Pointer Sisters, Travolta, everybody would be out at the house. We'd have huge barbeques. But anyway, somebody walked into my bedroom one day and stole it.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2009 7:16 PM

Current partner of two years, Richard, played for the Yankees. What's his last name?

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2009 7:22 PM

r16, Dick liked young studs. He's 17 years older than Wesley and 20 years more than Marty, whom he's been with for more than two decades.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2009 7:39 PM

I was totally in love with him as a kid!

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2009 10:35 PM

Good for him

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2009 12:35 AM

Was Chaka gay?

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2009 12:38 AM

Did he nail Revolta?

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2009 3:19 AM

Hasn't everyone?

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2009 3:24 AM

All the claims that they've slept with Cha-ka have come from women. But it's notable that none of the claims have been substantiated.

Holly has become a very fat woman, but she's thrilled when people identify her.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2009 3:25 AM

I had the original LOTL on my TV on the treadmill at the gym yesterday and men of a certain age kept wandering by and looking at it, grinning. It was a man magnet! lol Wesley was always screamingly gay and it's preposterous that anyone would think otherwise. I DO understand why he led a closeted life back then, but he sure waited until the bitter end to come out. I wonder what SusieLee, who is always challenging any claim that Ty Power was gay or bi, would think of Wesley's account of how Ross Hunter met his partner. (Errol Flynn's and Tyrone Power's lovers left them for each other!)

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2009 12:27 PM

Lots of interesting dish in that interview!

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2009 10:51 PM

I wish I had known he was gay way back then. It might have helped a little. All I had at that young age was extremely negative stereotypes and hateful words from friends and family (who had no idea about me).

by Anonymousreply 29June 6, 2009 12:33 AM

"Wesley was always screamingly gay and it's preposterous that anyone would think otherwise"

Lots of people have NO gaydar

by Anonymousreply 30June 6, 2009 1:21 AM

Had SUCH a fuckin' crush on him. I thought he was the hottest thing I'd ever laid eyes on.

And when he was on DOOL, he had seks with his step-momma. I'm thinkin' he thought he might be gay and she was gonna show him that he wasn't. Gag, I know, but the thought of that nekkid body bangin' some hole got me all worked up.

by Anonymousreply 31June 6, 2009 1:45 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 32June 6, 2009 4:12 AM

The is NOT a shocking revelation. The Sleestaks had fewer sibilant Ss than Wesley Eure and all they did was HISS!

by Anonymousreply 33June 6, 2009 4:22 AM

r33, you so naughty

by Anonymousreply 34June 6, 2009 4:57 AM

Always wondered why he suddenly disappeared in the early 80s. Now we know that he was blackballed for being gay. By closeted studio execs.

And that's really sad. He could have had such a huge career.

He was one of the biggest draws on Days. Hada huge fanbase. But suddenly he wasn't there anymore and no explanation was ever given. A few months later, another guy comes in as Mike Horton. And that replacement, Paul Coufos, had the stereotypcial 70s gay clone look complete with the mustache, flannel shirts and skintight jeans.

How ironic. Wesley had the teen idol look but was fired for being gay yet his replacement looked even gayer than he did.

Paul Coufos lasted less than a year in the role and then they wrote the character off for 3 years. And when they brought Mike Horton back in 1985, it was Michael T. Weiss who played him.

by Anonymousreply 35June 6, 2009 12:17 PM

Wesley also did some Disney movie in the mid-70s with Valerie Bertinelli, the name of which escapes me (not in the mood to google at the moment). Something about a shaggy dog I think.

by Anonymousreply 36June 6, 2009 12:43 PM

This is funny. I just put the LOTL marathon on for some morning vegging, remembered what a crush I had on him when I was seven or eight, and wondered if any DLers had the same memory. Then I log on and find this. Good for him!

by Anonymousreply 37June 6, 2009 12:54 PM

did Ron Harper ever fuck him?

by Anonymousreply 38June 6, 2009 8:01 PM

I used to have a VCR tape of Susan Seaforth Hayes on the Australian TV Logie Awards drunkenly volunteering on air while co-presenting an award that the guy who played her son was gay. The gobsmacked co-presenter could only come up with "Really? Is he really?" and then Susan finally shot back with "Well, only his AGENT knows for sure."

I don't think this was Wesley Eure she was talking about, though, was it? I don't think Mike Horton was her son.

by Anonymousreply 39June 6, 2009 8:36 PM

He wsa in some early horror movie and was pretty creepy in that.

by Anonymousreply 40June 6, 2009 8:38 PM

That would be "C.H.O.M.P.S.", R36. Classic bad 70s Disney ripoff. Though as a kid, I don't know who I had the bigger crush on - Wesley Eure or Valerie Bertinelli.

by Anonymousreply 41June 6, 2009 8:45 PM

Yes, R41, that was it! Thanks for looking that up.

by Anonymousreply 42June 6, 2009 9:22 PM

Ironically, Michael T. Weiss, who also played Mike Horton a couple of years after Wesley is also gay.

by Anonymousreply 43June 6, 2009 10:48 PM

r39

Julie's son on the show was David Banning. Mike Horton was Julie's cousin.

Don't know what year Susan made that comment at the Logie Awards, but both adult actors who played David are widely rumored to have been gay.

Richard Guthrie played David from 75-81. Then Gregg Marx took over as David from 81-84.

IMDB says Richard Guthrie died in 1995 at age 45. No cause of death listed, but it does say he kept in touch with both Susan and Wesley after leaving the show.

Gregg Marx is still alive.

One of the hottest things about Days in the mid 70s was the friendship/rivalry between cousins David Banning and Mike Horton. Lots of shirtless scenes and several fight scenes (when the characters were interested in teh same women). Very hot.

I was very turned on by the David/Mike friendship/rivalry, but was much too young to understand exactly why it was so fascinating to me. All I really knew was I wanted to pal around with those two. The strong off camera friendship between Wesley and Richard Guthrie certainly came through in every scene.

Don't think Wesley and Gregg Marx ever shared scenes. Believe Wesley was gone by the time Gregg got there.

by Anonymousreply 44June 7, 2009 12:10 PM

Apologies for the looooong paragraph in my abvoe post. That's NOT the way I wrote it. Wrote it as several different paragraphs.

Guess that is one bug they need to work out of the new system.

by Anonymousreply 45June 7, 2009 12:13 PM

"That would be "C.H.O.M.P.S.", [R36]. Classic bad 70s Disney ripoff. Though as a kid, I don't know who I had the bigger crush on - Wesley Eure or Valerie Bertinelli."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 7, 2009 1:28 PM

R39, Richard Guthrie played Susan Seaforth Hayes' son, David. He died in 1995, at the age of 45, presumably of AIDS.

Then again, depending on the year, Hayes may have been talking about Gregg Marx, who played David some years later. I always assumed he was gay as well.

by Anonymousreply 47June 7, 2009 1:37 PM

"Eure still works in children's entertainment, having created the animated PBS series Dragon Tales"

A very succesful show which started in 1999 and is still running today.

by Anonymousreply 48June 8, 2009 1:59 AM

I don't dislike Wesley, but in LOTL he was a heinous overactor and is frequently very funny during his fever-pitched dramatics. And the girl has basically one expression, furrowed brow with her mouth hanging part-way open and two rabit teeth sticking out as she whines about this thing or that. I did note that Ron Harper had his shirt open a lot and unbuttoned every bit as much as Wesley whereas Spencer Milligan who was about one step up from Avery Schreiber was always more prim.

A trivia question: How is it that it's Marshall, Will & Holly and then Will and Holly Marshall? Was Marshall his last name all along?! I though it was his first name!

by Anonymousreply 49June 8, 2009 11:55 AM

So, did we ever figure out who the BF is that played for the Yankees? I assume he is out since he allowed a photograph to be published.

by Anonymousreply 50June 8, 2009 12:47 PM

"A trivia question: How is it that it's Marshall, Will & Holly and then Will and Holly Marshall? Was Marshall his last name all along?! I though it was his first name!"

Marshall is the family's last name. The Dad's first name was Rick.

by Anonymousreply 51June 8, 2009 1:04 PM

"I don't dislike Wesley, but in LOTL he was a heinous overactor and is frequently very funny during his fever-pitched dramatics."

How big of you not to dislike him! It was the cheesiest show of all time. What the fuck were you expecting?

by Anonymousreply 52June 8, 2009 1:18 PM

"So, did we ever figure out who the BF is that played for the Yankees?"

Turns out he played for a minor league team affiliated with the Yankees. Hurt his knee and never made it to the majors.

by Anonymousreply 53June 8, 2009 2:37 PM

Used to love him

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 54June 8, 2009 9:40 PM

I wonder if Wesley and his boyfriend are going to see Gloria Estefan at the AARP convention ....

by Anonymousreply 55June 8, 2009 9:43 PM

r49 In rewatching Land of the Lost on the Sci-Fi marathon, the "Marshall, Will and Holly" thing bothered me too. But I guess that sounded better saying "Marshall, Rick, Will and Holly."

As for Spencer Milligan never unbuttoning his shirt, that likely had more to do with him being really out of shape. In the season two episodes, he gained a lot of weight and his shirt looks much too tight.

by Anonymousreply 56June 8, 2009 11:04 PM

OMG! I had the biggest crush on him as a wee one. My mom just thought I was fascinated by the dinosaurs.

"Too bad he was fired for being gay on Days Of Our Lives,"

How could this be if he wasn't out then?

by Anonymousreply 57June 8, 2009 11:08 PM

[quote]How could this be if he wasn't out then?

Being closeted in public doesn't mean that no one in your professional arena knows the truth.

by Anonymousreply 58June 8, 2009 11:19 PM

I think we've lost the point...who was it that stole the necklace: John Travolta or June Pointer???

by Anonymousreply 59June 8, 2009 11:29 PM

Wesley is a doll. I met him through Ron Palillo, who did the beautiful illustrations for Wesley's children's book.

by Anonymousreply 60June 9, 2009 12:45 AM

r57 Read the interview with him on After Elton, linked on the first post of this thread.

It was a closeted gay network exec who fired him from Days in 1981. And another closeted gay exec who fired him from the game show he hosted at the time.

Homophobia runs deep. And probably the most vicious homophobes are closeted gays/lesbians in positions of power.

Nothing wounds more than being betrayed by one of your own.

Imagine being Wesley in 1981-82. He's fired from two different jobs for being gay by closeted gays and suddenly many of his friends are dropping dead from this strange new disease affecting gay men. That had to have been the absolute worst time of his life.

by Anonymousreply 61June 9, 2009 1:42 AM

Was the dad gay too?

by Anonymousreply 62June 9, 2009 2:07 AM

LOTL was NOT the cheesiest show ever. It was a bit cheap and, being geared towards children, simplistic, but it was effective enough in its day (I had to sit on grandpa's knee to watch because the Sleestacks scared me to death!) Actually, the scripts tend to include material that is rather challenging/thought-provoking for a small child to grasp. That said, Wesley's acting was SO, SO over the top it is side-splitting. But for cheese, there is definitely worse. Jason of Star Command easily tops it. Shazam, too!

by Anonymousreply 63June 9, 2009 12:01 PM

Isn't it amaaaazing that Mr. Eure makes this momentous announcement just as a truly dreadful movie version of his long forgotten childrens show is coming to a theatre near you! Hollywood ya gotta love it, it's soooo sleazy.

by Anonymousreply 64June 9, 2009 1:38 PM

He's a name-dropping little bitch, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 65June 9, 2009 1:43 PM

"I had to sit on grandpa's knee to watch because the Sleestacks scared me to death!"

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 66June 9, 2009 4:52 PM

Here's the thread.

by Anonymousreply 67June 9, 2009 6:23 PM

He looks hot here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 9, 2009 6:26 PM

I like what he has to say about outing plumbers vs. HW actors. He's right.

by Anonymousreply 69June 9, 2009 6:45 PM

That's not Wesley, R68.

by Anonymousreply 70June 10, 2009 5:01 AM

Cute guy in the photo. But no idea who he is.

Definitely not Wesley Eure.

by Anonymousreply 71June 10, 2009 6:27 AM

Had such a crush on him growing up. And now to know that it was a gay man I was crushing on! Glad he came out publicly.

by Anonymousreply 72June 14, 2009 9:22 AM

Yes it is Wesley.R70

by Anonymousreply 73June 14, 2009 4:00 PM

NO IT'S NOT.

by Anonymousreply 74June 14, 2009 5:21 PM

Count me in the 'Not Wesley' camp.

by Anonymousreply 75June 14, 2009 5:31 PM

Anyone who thinks that photo that r 68 posted is Wesley Eure should clink on the link below to see the After Elton story about Wesley coming out.

There are several recent photos as well as vintage 70s Land of the Lost photos.

Go look at those photos, then come back and tell us whthere r 68's photo is Wesley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 14, 2009 10:16 PM

He had, and still has, amazing eyes.

by Anonymousreply 77June 14, 2009 10:26 PM

Sleazystacks! Hssssssssss! Hsssssssssss!

by Anonymousreply 78June 17, 2009 3:31 PM

Very, very cute in the 70s. Still looking good these days too.

by Anonymousreply 79June 19, 2009 7:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!